How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Rhiannon

• Moderator Emeritus

I've responded in your Intro topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

It is all due to mathematical semantics and the definition of percent in relation to setting up a formula.

Multiplying by 0.10 will give an answer that is 10% of the original number. 10 X 0.10 = 1

To find the number that is 10% less that the original you have to subtract the answer from the original number 10 - 1 = 9.  This is the step you left out of your calculation.

Doing the calculations this way can end up being confusing especially if you are working with numbers other than 10, and the formula needs to be reworked each time you do a new reduction. In the long run it is easier to do the subtraction first and then multiply to get the answer.  Doing this we can establish standard formulas that will work for everyone.

If we want to do a 10% reduction we start by subtracting 0.10 from 1.  1 - 0.10 = 0.90 which tell us we want 0.90 of or 90% of our original number. Because of the rules of arithmetic, multiplying  any number by 0.90 will give a 90% reduction of that number. So for our purposes any dose weight or the dose strength multiplied by 0.90 will give the weight or strength required for a 10% reduction.

The same thing works for a 5% reduction. 1 - 0.05 = 0.95. Which you use the same way as above to calculate the new dose.  If you wanted to do a 2.5% reduction you would multiply by 0.975, or if you wanted to do a 7.5% reduction you would multiply by 0.925. Those are the percentages for a standard Brassmonkey Slide.

CC responded in your intro topic while I was writing this up, so between the two of us I hope you now understand things better.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, brassmonkey said:

It is all due to mathematical semantics and the definition of percent in relation to setting up a formula.

Multiplying by 0.10 will give an answer that is 10% of the original number. 10 X 0.10 = 1

To find the number that is 10% less that the original you have to subtract the answer from the original number 10 - 1 = 9.  This is the step you left out of your calculation.

Doing the calculations this way can end up being confusing especially if you are working with numbers other than 10, and the formula needs to be reworked each time you do a new reduction. In the long run it is easier to do the subtraction first and then multiply to get the answer.  Doing this we can establish standard formulas that will work for everyone.

If we want to do a 10% reduction we start by subtracting 0.10 from 1.  1 - 0.10 = 0.90 which tell us we want 0.90 of or 90% of our original number. Because of the rules of arithmetic, multiplying  any number by 0.90 will give a 90% reduction of that number. So for our purposes any dose weight or the dose strength multiplied by 0.90 will give the weight or strength required for a 10% reduction.

The same thing works for a 5% reduction. 1 - 0.05 = 0.95. Which you use the same way as above to calculate the new dose.  If you wanted to do a 2.5% reduction you would multiply by 0.975, or if you wanted to do a 7.5% reduction you would multiply by 0.925. Those are the percentages for a standard Brassmonkey Slide.

CC responded in your intro topic while I was writing this up, so between the two of us I hope you now understand things better.

Once you make the suspension is it safe to leave it on the refrigerator , like if I take my meds in the morning ... will it weaken the medication if i make it at night before bed , and take it first thing in the morning?

March 2017- Aug 2017 benztropine 1mg, clonazepam 1mg, divalproex 500mg, haloperidol 5mg

Aug 2017-Dec 2018 benztropine .5mg, clonazepam .5mg, divalproex 500mg, haloperidol .5mg

May 2019 - Dec 2020 haloperidol .5mg , Oxcarbazapine 150mg

• Moderator Emeritus

SA generally suggests keeping the liquid covered in the refrigerator.  It may be better to keep it in a dark container.  I don't bother because there is only me using the fridge and it doesn't get opened that much.  SA's suggested keeping time is 3-4 days.  I keep mine for longer but it is hard to tell if there is any issue because at this time I am only taking a very small part of my dose in liquid.  Once I get to taking all liquid I will probably reduce the length of time that I keep the liquid.

Remember to stir well before using.  I use a mini whisk but I have to make sure that I don't stir it too much because it adds bubbles, which are probably from the slow release formula that is added to the compounded capsules.

If you container has a tight lid you might be able to shake it.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

SA generally suggests keeping the liquid covered in the refrigerator.  It may be better to keep it in a dark container.  I don't bother because there is only me using the fridge and it doesn't get opened that much.  SA's suggested keeping time is 3-4 days.  I keep mine for longer but it is hard to tell if there is any issue because at this time I am only taking a very small part of my dose in liquid.  Once I get to taking all liquid I will probably reduce the length of time that I keep the liquid.

Remember to stir well before using.  I use a mini whisk but I have to make sure that I don't stir it too much because it adds bubbles, which are probably from the slow release formula that is added to the compounded capsules.

Similar here.  I use an old hydrogen peroxide bottle from the chemist's which has a tight lid and brown glass.  I'm getting 5-6 days out of a tablet right now.  (0.39/2.5)  It seems to keep well enough.  The fridge isn't used that much and it's cheap but a late model well regarded for holding its temperature, food lasts a lot longer than the old one did.  I'm not sure how far past 7 days you can sensibly go, and it'll be different for each tab/drug/mfr etc.

As always, go by feel

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

3 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I bought some amber bottles intended for, I think, essential oils. I popped out the glass dropper as it isn't useful for me and just use the lid with the bottle. I shake it vigorously when first making up a batch and then let it sit for a day before use. I shake a bit more gently in use to try to avoid too many bubbles. Not sure if that's right or not but it doesn't seem to be doing me any harm.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

TIP:  If using a large quantity of water (eg 1 litre) to make your liquid, after dissolving. mix the liquid and pour some of it into a smaller container instead of having to extract dose from the large quantity.

And if you know that you are not going to be using all of the liquid then you do not even need to keep the whole lot you could take out enough (plus extra for "just in case") and throw out the rest.

I would also suggest that you do not use a container (eg jug) that you might use for cold water just in case you forget about it and end up drinking it.  Or at least if you do, mark it in some way, eg tie a piece of string around the handle (with a double knot so that it does not come off easily), so that it will remind you that it is not pure water.

For my next reduction I will be dissolving a 2mg compounded capsule in 1 litre of water so that I can measure the dose I need more accurately.  This morning I realised that I would have to use a larger container than what I am currently using (400mL of water, and previously only using 200mL) and was thinking that it would be difficult to measure out a dose from a larger container.  Then I had a 💡 moment.

On 3/1/2021 at 1:28 AM, ChessieCat said:

TIP:  ... was thinking that it would be difficult to measure out a dose from a larger container.  Then I had a 💡 moment.

Can you explain please why it would be harder to measure from a larger container?

• 1995-present: on and off various antidepressants, and many changes in dose. Never tapered properly
  • 2012-present: citalopram. Steady dose of 27.5mg since July 2020
  • 2020: pregabalin for 2 months. Very bad withdrawal.
  • Current daily medications: 27.5mg citalopram. 1mg melatonin, 4mg doxazosin, 300mg docusate.
  • My intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

The 1 litre jug I am using is at about 25.5cms/10" tall and about 13cm/5" in diameter.  The syringe is about 7.5cms/3" long.  As I use the liquid the level is going to get lower so it will be further down in the jug and I will not be able to put 2 hands in to hold the syringe with one hand and pull up the plunger with the other.

Thanks ChessieCat. I couldn't picture it before but that makes sense.

• 1995-present: on and off various antidepressants, and many changes in dose. Never tapered properly
  • Current daily medications: 27.5mg citalopram. 1mg melatonin, 4mg doxazosin, 300mg docusate.
  • My intro topic

• Mentor
On 5/20/2019 at 2:26 PM, Lakelander82 said:

Realistically though, measuring out  such minuscule doses accurately, especially using your own homemade suspension is next to near impossible. Even if you carry out everything the same every time, you could be getting 12mg one day, 8mg the next, 14mg the next day, 5 mg the day after that. Your dose could be all over the place each day. When I got down to 12mg (theoretically) it looked like I was taking water with a few granules of powder in it, there could have been 2mgs in it for all i know. Everything is just guess work. 

If the drug is soluble in water and is well dispersed after a thorough shake, you would be measuring it out with a syringe and getting an exact dose, wouldn't you?

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Yesyes123-- that is correct. Many of these drugs are freely soluble in water, so when mixed with water the Active Ingredient moves from the pill to the water and is evenly distributed. Each drug has a different solubility rate, but in general if you use 1mL of water for every 1mg of pill strength you get a 1:1 solution that is quite easy to work with. 

For a medication with a good solubility rate there will be some sediment left floating in the liquid and settling to the bottom of the bottle. For these drugs this sediment can be ignored.

Some of the drugs are less soluble in water and the Active Ingredient stays in the powder. For these drugs we have to do what is called a Suspension. The ground up powder is left hanging or suspended in the liquid when the dose is measured. This required a good shake to make sure it is evenly distributed in the liquid. It is best to use a "suspension medium" instead of water. A suspension medium is thicker than water and keeps the powder from settling out.

Either way making and using a homemade liquid can be a very accurate method for measuring ones dose. It is a little more complicated to work with but overall it is more accurate and much more flexible than the dry cutting methods.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

On 3/8/2021 at 1:32 PM, brassmonkey said:

Either way making and using a homemade liquid can be a very accurate method for measuring ones dose. It is a little more complicated to work with but overall it is more accurate and much more flexible than the dry cutting methods.

I was just about to ask if there was a consensus on liquid vs. weighing.  The other relevant thing I read was Rhiannon: "Personally this [liquid titration] is the method I would use to taper any med. I've done the dry cutting method using a scale, and I find liquid titration easier to control. I can get my cuts as small as I want by adjusting the dilution." (in the first post in this thread).

If that is the consensus, would it be worth adding something be added to the introduction of these threads to help people decide? Are there any exceptions? Counting beads seems accurate but I don't know how convenient it is.

• My intro topic

Thanks Tom2020, the suggestion will be added to the list. We have a lot of projects in the works to help clarify and make things more user friendly, this will make a good addition. 

Hello everyone,

i want to add a suggestion here.

lately i thought about how to increase the accuracy of liquid tapering for those who taper with water.

We know its important to be as accurat as possible when we measure our dose.

So the error when we have to measure exact 1ml of a volume or 1mg in weight can be a thing, depending on measuring mistakes,

such as not hitting the line correctly on syringes/pipettes every time or using slighty more or less water.

BUT when we use a reliable scale to measure out our liquid dose, we can be even more precise.

For water 1 ml equals 1 g and 1g can be easily measured accuratly on a reliable scale.

For example, if we have an evenly distributed suspension/solution where 1 ml is 0.1 mg of active ingredient, you just

have to weigh out 1g for 0.1mg active ingredient. Tiny weight differences on most scales like 5 mg or even 10 mg

would only mean an error of 0.5 % ( = 0.0005 mg active ingredient) or 1 % ( = 0.001 mg active ingredient). 

This is far less than any error you could get with measuring mistakes on a syringe and in my opinion a good, cheap 0.01 g scale would

be enough. Of course a 0.001g scale is even better, but the ones with a maximum weight up to 100 g or 300 g (= 100 ml to 300 ml) are expensive, so a 0.01g scale would be fine for liquid tapering. Just make sure to add the weight of your measuring cup/glas in the maximum scale weight.

Greetings

Nomansland

2022 IMPORTANT WITHDRAWAL SURVEY, PLEASE PARTICIPATE: https://uelpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0AR9IsQ61jsiXBk

non-native speaker of english

2020: 3-March -> started Mirtazapine 15mg;

3-March to 6-April -> approx. cutting to 0 mg; 6-April to 20-April -> ~ 7,5 mg; 21-April to 31-April -> 15 mg; 1-May to 13-May -> ~ 10 mg (approx.); 15-May to 19-July -> 15 mg (psychosomatic clinic) 19-July -> started taper (scale and file) 14 mg (-6,6%); 08-August -> 12 mg (-14,3 %); 27-August -> 10 mg (-16,6 %); 15-September -> 8 mg (-20 %, bad idea, heavy WD); 23-September -> 10.2 mg (+20 %, 102 mgpw)

2021: 12-April to 12-May -> crossover from solid pill to DIY liquid (water only), 10.2 mg, not stable; 10-September -> back to crushing and weighing, still 10.2 mg (102 mgpw)

2022: 13-March -> changed to DIY liquid with suspension vehicle, 10.2 mg

Supplements: 1 x ~125 mg magnesiumbiglycinate before bed, low histamine diet

• Moderator Emeritus

@Nomansland

That might be a good option for some people. 

However to get better accuracy without weighing the liquid it is easy enough to dilute your dose with more water.  The more diluted you make your liquid the more accurate a dose you can measure.

When I am due to make a reduction I work out how I am going to get my dose using the 1mL, 3mL, 5mL and 10mL syringes I have.  So far I have made three different dilutions.  2mg Pristiq in 200mL, 400mL and 1 litre.  Doing it this way I do not have to measure anything less than 1mL.

For my current reduction I am using 1 litre and take 39mL, measured by 3 x 10mL plus 9mL, measured using the 10mL syringe, but I could use 3 x 3mL.

Hello @ChessieCat,

thank you for your answer.

Of course, using more water for a (good distributed) suspension will make the error much smaller.

I want to point out, that measuring (for example) your 39ml of liquid in weight by scale would be 39g.

Both methods should work fine, but weighting 39ml (=39g) on a reliable scale is even more accurat than

using 2 different syringes multiple times to get to 39ml. The error of the scale weight variation would be

much smaller than the possible measuring error by using syringes multiple times, "dead space" problems etc.

Even quite accurat weighting in 0.1 ml steps like 39,5 ml (= 39,5 g) would be an option for some people, for example.

Again, i think both methods are fine. But weighting the liquid should be (in my opinion) even more accurat and

faster/easier (because you dont need to use and measure with different syringes).

Greetings

Nomansland

2022 IMPORTANT WITHDRAWAL SURVEY, PLEASE PARTICIPATE: https://uelpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0AR9IsQ61jsiXBk

3-March to 6-April -> approx. cutting to 0 mg; 6-April to 20-April -> ~ 7,5 mg; 21-April to 31-April -> 15 mg; 1-May to 13-May -> ~ 10 mg (approx.); 15-May to 19-July -> 15 mg (psychosomatic clinic) 19-July -> started taper (scale and file) 14 mg (-6,6%); 08-August -> 12 mg (-14,3 %); 27-August -> 10 mg (-16,6 %); 15-September -> 8 mg (-20 %, bad idea, heavy WD); 23-September -> 10.2 mg (+20 %, 102 mgpw)

2021: 12-April to 12-May -> crossover from solid pill to DIY liquid (water only), 10.2 mg, not stable; 10-September -> back to crushing and weighing, still 10.2 mg (102 mgpw)

@Nomansland Syringes give reasonable accuracy, but you can do better with a pipette.

Recently stumbling across cheap 5ml adjustable volume micro pipettes on flea bay is the most accurate way I've found to titrate dosage.  Reduces the chance of errors at the end of a long day, and makes the whole thing quick and easy instead of a song-and-dance with all the setting up, squinting, and putting away lots of paraphernalia when you just wanna flop into bed.

$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

If weighing the suspension works for you, go for it.

Realistically, repeatable consistency of the dosages is more important than an absolute specific volume, even though that's obviously still nice to have.

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

Hello @hayduke,

because of your post, found it a few months ago, i remembered using pipettes in a lab and already got a nice set of some glas measuring lab pipettes from ebay. Thank you for that.

They are not automatic micropipettes like you mentioned because my suspension will use more liquid, but i agree with you that these are more precise and easy to use.

Just want to share my thoughts and opinion about weighting liquid and why its more accurat (and could provide more repeatable dosing). Hope it will help someone.

As we know, in the end everyone has to make their own decisions.

Greetings

Nomansland

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Nomansland said:

As we know, in the end everyone has to make their own decisions.

And it's really good for members to put forward their ideas because it gives other members various ways to consider.

Thankfully I do not seem to be too sensitive to a slight variation in dosing, if it is occurring.  I've noticed that there are sometimes air bubbles that I cannot shift so I just do my best with what I've got. 

For this reduction I am measuring 2 syringes and adding them to a medicine cup and then drinking that and then repeating with 1mL less.  There have been a few times when I have splashed a bit over the side when emptying the syringe.  I've decided that I'm not going to stress about it.

However for members who are making a strong solution with a strong drug, and therefore measuring tiny amount/s then the more accurate they can be the better, especially if they are sensitive to dose variations.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Just wondering whether others think that this might work okay:

I am have difficulties getting rid of air bubbles.  I am wondering if it might work to fill the syringe with plain water and expel the air bubbles and then empty the syringe before drawing up the dose.  As long as everything is done the same way for the duration of the time you are taking that particular dose it should not cause any issues.

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I am wondering if it might work to fill the syringe with plain water and expel the air bubbles and then empty the syringe before drawing up the dose. 

I tried this last night and I didn't end up with the large bubble/s that I usually do.

I tend to draw the med up once and expel it, and then go again. Definitely fewer bubbles second time.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

2 hours ago, bubbles said:

I tend to draw the med up once and expel it, and then go again. Definitely fewer bubbles second time.

I'm in the habit of doing this a few times just to mix up the suspension better

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, bubbles said:

Yes, that might be a better way.  Thanks.

I made my lexapro suspension today. 10ml of saline solution & 1 pill (10mg). I went back an hour or so later, and there is a lot of white stuff floating around in the liquid. I assume it’s filler, bc the powder pretty much dissolved, & it’s a different color white from the powder. If it really only lasts 2-3 days, & I’m using less than 1mg per day, I’m going to be wasting a lot! Anyone experienced it lasting longer? Tia!

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg, May 6 .75 mg; June 6 .7 mg, June 20 .65mg, June 30  .6mg, Jul 24 .55 mg, Oct 17 .5 mg, Dec 5- .45 mg; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg,  April 18- .375 ; April 24- .35; April 29- .3; Jun 12- .25 mg; Jun 28- .2 lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1- long hold, never got better

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05!

Taking Magnesium, whole foods iron, & natural supplements as needed for sleep

It lasts for a whole week in refrigerator. I am using home made liquid for tapering. It's good to go for a week. 

• Escitalopram 5mg  13dec 2020 to 23 Jan  2020 for 5weeks each day. 
  • Replaced escitalopram with st. John's wort 500mg 2feb2021 to 13feb 2021 for 10 days. Then again suffered panic attacks, pounding heart and chest pain. Heart rate fluctuations 90 to 100s.. 27days off of escitalopram, 900mg omega 3. Bad withdrawls 
  • Reinstated 1mg escitalopram 27, 28 Feb 2021.. 0.4mg 7march to 2 April, 0.35mg 4 April to 10 April, 0.3mg 10 April to 19 April (heart palpitations, chest pain), reinstated 0.35mg 20 april continued.. 
  •  

Hi Dee,

I tried the same thing, and couldn't really tell what the white stuff floating was.  Did it include the active ingredient or was it just filler?  I think that is an important question, to know whether the active ingredient is truly distributed evenly in the solution.  This says that Lexapro dissolves in saline solution, but I tried it with that too, and got the same floating white stuff effect.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2003/21323se1-003,se8-007,21365se8-001,se1-004_lexapro_lbl.pdf

1990  Prozac after Traumatic Brain Injury

1993 - 1996  Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, 25-50 mg Trazodone

1997  Off Meds, Travelling, Generally Good

1998-1999  Effexor, 25-50 mg Trazadone

2000-2008  Celexa, 25-50 mg Trazadone

2009 - 2016  Lexapro, mostly 2.5 - 10 mg, occasionally 0

August 2017 -May 2018  Lexapro 1.25 mg  (tinnitus started Mar 2018)

May 2018  Lexapro 2x0.5 compound=1.0 mg (in theory), major crash within 3 days

June 2018-Sept 2019  Lexapro 7.5 mg  (1 month incredible anxiety) 25 mg Trazadone

Sept 2019 - Sept 2020  Lexapro 5.0 mg, 12.5 mg Trazadone  (tinnitus still a problem)

Sept 2020 - January 2021  Lexapro 2.5 mg  (Stop Trazadone Jan 2021)

3 hours ago, BigSun said:

Hi Dee,

I tried the same thing, and couldn't really tell what the white stuff floating was.  Did it include the active ingredient or was it just filler?  I think that is an important question, to know whether the active ingredient is truly distributed evenly in the solution.  This says that Lexapro dissolves in saline solution, but I tried it with that too, and got the same floating white stuff effect.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2003/21323se1-003,se8-007,21365se8-001,se1-004_lexapro_lbl.pdf

After I checked it overnight, the whole thing was dissolved. It’s the generic escitalopram. 

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg, May 6 .75 mg; June 6 .7 mg, June 20 .65mg, June 30  .6mg, Jul 24 .55 mg, Oct 17 .5 mg, Dec 5- .45 mg; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg,  April 18- .375 ; April 24- .35; April 29- .3; Jun 12- .25 mg; Jun 28- .2 lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1- long hold, never got better

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05!

Taking Magnesium, whole foods iron, & natural supplements as needed for sleep

Wow, that is interesting.  I left it soaking overnight too, and it still had the white stuff.   I think I did have the brand name one though.

1990  Prozac after Traumatic Brain Injury

1993 - 1996  Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, 25-50 mg Trazodone

1997  Off Meds, Travelling, Generally Good

1998-1999  Effexor, 25-50 mg Trazadone

2000-2008  Celexa, 25-50 mg Trazadone

2009 - 2016  Lexapro, mostly 2.5 - 10 mg, occasionally 0

August 2017 -May 2018  Lexapro 1.25 mg  (tinnitus started Mar 2018)

May 2018  Lexapro 2x0.5 compound=1.0 mg (in theory), major crash within 3 days

June 2018-Sept 2019  Lexapro 7.5 mg  (1 month incredible anxiety) 25 mg Trazadone

Sept 2019 - Sept 2020  Lexapro 5.0 mg, 12.5 mg Trazadone  (tinnitus still a problem)

Sept 2020 - January 2021  Lexapro 2.5 mg  (Stop Trazadone Jan 2021)

The floating white stuff is filler. If you let the pill soak over night all of the active ingredient will dissolve in the water leaving none in the filler. Different manufacturers will use different fillers so some will also dissolve along with the active ingredient, but most will leave a white or colored sediment of some sort.

Because the the nature of dissolving something in a liquid it will automatically provide an even distribution throughout the liquid. Lexapro is considered sparingly soluble in water, so if you are trying to dissolve a large amount of lexapro in a small bit of water, you will have problems. As mentioned earlier in this thread using isotonic saline (salt water) works much better.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/9/2021 at 5:30 PM, ChessieCat said:

I tried this last night and I didn't end up with the large bubble/s that I usually do.

Nice problem solving, Chessie!

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Considering trying lamotrigine @.5 to try to stabilize my w/d symptoms, but mot sure how I would get such a small dose and how I would untilmately taper off.

It appears there are 2 mg chewables, but not sure I could get those.  
if I could, could those be dissolved in water?  

Mid and late 1990s various antidepressants including Prozac, Pamelor, Zoloft, Trazadone for brief periods of time  Usually one month or less with no taper.

1998 to August 2020   .5 mg lorazepam, first PRN then daily. CTed Jan 2015 RI March 2015 (6 wks): CTed October 2016 RI Nov 2016 (3 wks (October 2016). 10 month taper begin Oct 2019 finished Aug 10, 2020. 2000 to Sept 2015 periodic use Escitalopram 10 mg.  Brief periods, 3-6 months, with rapid tapers or cold turkeys.Oct 2016 Cymbalta and Remeron for a period of about 2 weeks. Stopped cold turkey.Nov 2016 to October 2017 10 mg escitalopram.  One month taper

Last 2 ½ years:

Ongoing daily .5 lorazepam originally began in 1998 PRN, then daily 2008.  March 2019 to August 2019 10 mg escitalopram; rapid taper about 3 weeks. Sept 2019 to Sept 2019 Pristiq 25mg, taken 2 weeks then a every other day taper for one week.  25 mg trazadone for one week, no taper.  Zoloft 25 mg for 5 days, no taper. October 2019 -August 2020 10 month taper from .5 lorazepam.

Currently taking Valsartan 40 mg daily and Preservision AREDS2 one capsule daily.

• 2 weeks later...

@ChessieCat Hi Chessie, just wondering as we are both in Australia, where you may have purchased your syringes and other utensils needed to make an accurate liquid solution? Also, do you use alcohol when dissolving the tablet or any thing else other than normal tap water? Brass suggested 1ml of Vodka but it seems people on here don't really do that. 

Started Sertraline (Zoloft) September 2009. 50mg then to 100mg within a week. Floated between 150mg and 100mg for the next 6 years. 

February 2016 began tapering from 150mg

2017; 55mg-22mg; 2018; 22mg-19mg. Jan 2018 surgery on my knee and collarbone which seemed to cause a crash 3 weeks later. 12/02/18. Held for 6 months at 19mg. 12/08/18 19mg-18mg; 10/09/18 18mg-17mg; Held for another 7 months

17/04/19 began tapering at 0.5mg per 2 weeks and reached 4.5mg on 19/03/20; CRASHED after a heavy alcohol session in late Feb. Attempted to restart taper August 2020 by dropping to 4.25mg. Updosed back to 4.5mg after 3 days. 2nd attempt to restart 4 weeks later in September 2020 dropping to 4.25mg again this time updosing back to 4.5mg 4 days later. 

Last attempt to taper November 2021. 4.5mg to 4.4mg lasted 15 days then updosed back to 4.5mg due to severe apathy and cognitive issues

Hey @Cruizer

I just use tap water filtered through a brita style jug.

Can't speak for ChessieCat, but syringes should be cheap and easy to find at most chemists.  (Proper ones, not so much the franchised american-style crap where they group their stuff on the shelves by brand not product type...don't get me started)

I went to three local ones when I was setting up, all had 10-20 ml ones and a third was reliable for 60ml.

When I went to pipettes, plenty online:

25 ml serological pipette

10 ml pipette

Pipette pumps

Adjustable volume pipette (these are the best thing I've found, especially for the tail end of the taper)

And your syringes too 60ml syringe

I had great luck grinding lurasidone (Latuda) 20 mg tablets into a powder with a granite mortar and pestle I found in the kitchen.  It grinds into a powder really nicely.

I was able to measure out the 77 mg pill weight (18.76 mg of active ingredient) I wanted on my A&D FX-120i milligram scale very readily using a small paint brush to sweep small amounts into a stainless steel cup.  I just dumped the measured powder into a cup of tea, mixed it up, and drank it.  There was nothing left in the cup at all when I was done.

At what pill weight should I think about making an Ora-Plus suspension instead of just measuring it out on my milligram scale?  I will be going down to 1.44 mg of pill weight at the endpoint in mid-2023.

Ora-plus is super expensive from amazon.ca, about $50 for half a litre!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy