mileybuns: beginning to taper sertraline after 10 years

mileybuns

Hi All!

I was born March 1997, meaning I began antidepressants at the age of 15, 2 years after my father died suddenly.

I now believe I shouldn't have been started on them, as my problems were likely caused by raging hormones and a significant life event and probably better treated with talking therapy. These medications were initially prescribed to treat what presented as daily panic attacks and 'troublesome behaviour' (staying out all night, risky behaviour, drinking excessively, self-harm).

I would like to mention that some of my mental health symptoms (rejection sensitivity, oversensitivity to criticism and suicidal ideation) have been present since I can remember. My only other symptom is panic attacks, which begun as soon as my father died suddenly. None of these symptoms have ever disappeared, regardless of being on medications.

The only things that seem to help are exercise and a good social support system. I am currently attempting to taper down from Sertraline 150mg (see signature for full dosage history).

The smallest possible tablet I can get where I am is 25mg and it is tiny, so I am quite nervous about how to taper when I get to the smaller doses, especially when they become very specific according to the 10% schedule. I have bought a scale which says it can weigh down to 0.001mg, but I couldn't afford a very expensive one so I'm not sure how accurate this will be.

I'm also really keen to come off Sertraline probably sooner than 10% every 4 weeks, although I know this isn't recommended. I just have never felt like it has really helped me and due to my recent ADHD diagnosis, I feel that my problems are better dealt with by my newly prescribed ADHD medication.

Would welcome any advice on a quicker tapering schedule, as well as how to deal with micro-doses when you are unable to get smaller pills than 25mg.

March 2012 - August 2012: Fluoxetine 20mg (did not suit me, found my mood to be either very low or very hyper)

August 2012 - December 2012: Fluoxetine 40mg (was the same as before but worse)

December 2012 - June 2013: Sertraline 50mg (suited me better, felt slightly more stable but not hugely)

June 2013 - November 2013: Sertraline 100mg (felt again slightly more stable, but not massively)

November 2013 - October 2014: Sertraline 150mg (felt pretty much the same as 100mg but worse side effects)

October 2014 - November 2015: Sertraline 200mg (again, felt much the same but worse side effects)

November 2015 - December 2015: Sertraline 100mg (in an attempt to reduce side effects)

February 2016: First withdrawal attempt (Advised to take: 75mg Every Day for 2 weeks, then reduce to 50mg etc)

February 2016 – May 2018: Sertraline 100mg (this seemed to be the lowest dose I could reduce to without withdrawal symptoms)

May 2018 - Present: Sertraline 150mg (due to a worsening of panic attacks, didn’t make much of a difference)

June 2022 – Present: Ritalin ER 36mg (due to recent diagnosis of ADHD)

18th July 2022 - Present: Beginning Sertraline taper, starting with 137.5mg/day for 3 weeks

• ChessieCat changed the title to mileybuns: beginning to taper sertraline after 10 years

@mileybuns

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only create one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

We don't suggest a taper of more than 10% a month as it can cause too many wd symptoms. A lot of members actually go much slower.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The slowness of slow tapers

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Here are some links you will find helpful in tapering Sertraline.

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

We don't suggest supplements on here as they can be stimulating to the nervous system. We have found 2 that have been calming to some. If you would like to try one try it in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Please reach out with any question after reading the links provided.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

12 minutes ago, Frogie said:

@mileybuns

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only create one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

We don't suggest a taper of more than 10% a month as it can cause too many wd symptoms. A lot of members actually go much slower.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The slowness of slow tapers

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Here are some links you will find helpful in tapering Sertraline.

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

We don't suggest supplements on here as they can be stimulating to the nervous system. We have found 2 that have been calming to some. If you would like to try one try it in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Please reach out with any question after reading the links provided.

Thank you so much.

Interestingly, I just had an appointment with a psychiatrist who advised me that I was tapering too slowly, and that I should be able to come off 150mg Sertraline in a week?! Obviously that's far too dangerous, but I am intending to follow the harm reduction pathway to do my 10% reduction perhaps sooner than every 4 weeks. 

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with weaning off an AD whilst weaning on to Ritalin? Is this potentially going to make my withdrawal journey harder, or better?

March 2012 - August 2012: Fluoxetine 20mg (did not suit me, found my mood to be either very low or very hyper)

August 2012 - December 2012: Fluoxetine 40mg (was the same as before but worse)

December 2012 - June 2013: Sertraline 50mg (suited me better, felt slightly more stable but not hugely)

June 2013 - November 2013: Sertraline 100mg (felt again slightly more stable, but not massively)

November 2013 - October 2014: Sertraline 150mg (felt pretty much the same as 100mg but worse side effects)

October 2014 - November 2015: Sertraline 200mg (again, felt much the same but worse side effects)

November 2015 - December 2015: Sertraline 100mg (in an attempt to reduce side effects)

February 2016: First withdrawal attempt (Advised to take: 75mg Every Day for 2 weeks, then reduce to 50mg etc)

February 2016 – May 2018: Sertraline 100mg (this seemed to be the lowest dose I could reduce to without withdrawal symptoms)

May 2018 - Present: Sertraline 150mg (due to a worsening of panic attacks, didn’t make much of a difference)

June 2022 – Present: Ritalin ER 36mg (due to recent diagnosis of ADHD)

18th July 2022 - Present: Beginning Sertraline taper, starting with 137.5mg/day for 3 weeks

@mileybuns

Here is a link on how to talk to your dr about tapering you might find useful.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

During my taper, I just finally told my dr that I was not tapering anymore so they would give me the medication to taper the proper way. But I am in no way telling you to lie to your dr. My dr thought the same way.

We don't suggest tapering or adding any other medications at the same time because you don't know which one would be causing the symptoms you might be having. 

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, mileybuns said:

I just had an appointment with a psychiatrist who advised me that I was tapering too slowly, and that I should be able to come off 150mg Sertraline in a week?! Obviously that's far too dangerous, but I am intending to follow the harm reduction pathway to do my 10% reduction perhaps sooner than every 4 weeks.

SA's taper rate of no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of AT LEAST 4 weeks allows the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  It is a harm reduction method.  The idea of tapering is to keep withdrawal symptoms to an absolute minimum so that you can live you life as normally as possible.

One very common withdrawal symptoms that members may experience if they taper too quickly is insomnia.  And once you start getting insomnia it can make life very miserable and sometimes very difficult.  Even if they experience insomnia and do an updose, it does not always work.  The body needs sleep, it is rest for the nervous system and aids recovery.  We have also seen members who end up with insomnia become very desperate and some end up on additional drug, sometimes a benzo.  Benzos are only effective for about 2 weeks and if taken regularly dependency develops very quickly.  Once the efficacy of the benzo is lost, people end up taking it at the same dose (and it doesn't help them) but they stay on it otherwise they experience withdrawal, or the dose is increased.  And then sometimes another drug is added.  It can because a poly pharmacy nightmare because it can be hard to tell what drug is causing what and if anything is helping and then you can become stressed and desperate and make bad decisions.

Please reconsider if it is worth the risk.  I have seen SA members try to taper too quickly and in the end it has taken them longer than if they had followed SA's recommended taper protocol.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Hello, @mileybuns It appears that you just started Ritalin? We cannot assist with cross-tapers. If you are increasing Ritalin while tapering sertraline, you may confuse adverse effects of Ritalin for withdrawal symptoms from sertraline.

If you agree with your doctor that you need to switch drugs, the switch is your doctor's responsibility.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.