Jables221: coming off Prozac after 16 years

Jables221

Hi there! I was recommended to this site by a few people because I have recently come off Prozac after being on them since I was 17 (I’m 33 now). I was advised by my psychiatrist to take about 6 weeks or so in between dose changes. I started at 60 mg and went down to 40 for 6 weeks, followed by 20 for a few weeks. I took it upon myself (maybe not the best idea) to go from 20 down to 10 mg for a week or so and finally stop. My last dose was June 21. Since then I have gained almost 15 pounds and am having mild/moderate side effects. One of the most difficult being the constant leg movements when I’m laying in bed, it’s becoming unbearable. My mood is erratic with lots of spontaneous crying and lashing out at my husband, and I definitely feel on edge at all times. I’m at the point where I don’t know what to do or even how long to expect these unpleasant side effects to last. Any advice would be so helpful! Thank you in advance!!

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jables221: coming off Prozac after 16 years

@Jables221

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Can you please create a signature.

How to List Drug History in Signature

Although Prozac stays in your system a long time, that is why you are having delayed withdrawal symptoms.  It can stay in your system up to 16 days.  We don't suggest more than 10% taper a month and many go much slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The slowness of slow tapers

Brass Monkey Slide

Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here are some links that may help.

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Stabilising After a Reduction - What Does That Mean?

Withdrawal Normal Description

Waves and Windows in SSRI Withdrawal

Non-drug treatments for restless legs

Irritability, Anger, Rage

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

You could try to reinstate a small amount of Prozac and see how you do. I would try 1 mg and wait 7-10 days as that is the amount of time it takes to reach full stability in your system. It could always be adjusted after that. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

We don't suggest supplements on here as they can stimulate the nervous system, except 2. You could try one in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Please reach out with any questions you may have after you read the links provided.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hi! I tapered off my Prozac beginning in April and have been totally off since the beginning of July. It’s intense! I’ve had a lot of the crying spells and feeling on edge as well as tons of other withdrawal symptoms. From what I’ve read on others’ posts here the worst of the symptoms are in the first couple months after discontinuation, but you can have random flare-ups for years to come.

At the behest of one of the posts on supplements I started taking Omega 3 and Magnesium Glycinate. I’ve been taking these for a week along with high dose vitamin D and have noticed a marked decrease in my symptoms. I know it might not work for everyone, but it’s made things much more manageable for me. There’s a lot of good information in the symptoms and self care section.

Any changes since your initial post?

citalopram 20mg 3/2019-8/2020

citalopram 40mg 8/2020-9/2020

fluoxetine 20mg 9/2020-4/2022