sandnit: escitalopram tapering - I think have withdrawal

sandnit

Escitalopram tapering, i think i am dealing with withdrawal? I could use some help/ advice

Hi ! i'm new here. 

I'm in the process of tapering. Until now I tapered down based on instructions of my doc. I really have the feeling they underestimate impact it has on people. 

It has been more than 3 weeks since the last drop to 5mg. I'm still dealing with:

Physical:

* problems with my stomach and intestines. I had diarrhea and then constipation for several days and now diarrhea again. Nausea is significantly reduced but still have bouts of nausea

* Tinnitus much worse than usual

Headaches from time to time but seems to get less

* a feeling in my head like my brain is too small for my head. 

* a very weird dizzy feeling in my head like you're on a boat. Sometimes I'm literally going back and forth a bit. This seems to be getting less  

sometimes very dizzy standing up after picking something of the floor

* night sweating, this seems to get better 

Mental:

I have a kind of constant feeling of dread / doom. I really feel it in my head and not my body and it is without any reason (hard to explain).

Overall feeling of bleeehhh.

* more anxiety

I feel somewhat more depressed.

Can't concentrate

* it's harder to deal with stressful situations

* my memory seems to be worse.

The weird thing also is 2 weeks after the drop I had some good days (3 or 4) and both mental and physical symptoms where better but then the symptoms came back with vengeance and i am in a bad way since.

Are these from withdrawal .....since the last drop is already more than 3 weeks ago?? 

My plan is to see how i feel on 5mg for a good while and than taper down to 0. 

I would really appreciate some feedback if the symptoms i feel could be withdrawal and some advice on how long to stay on 5mg and the future taper to 0.

Thanks !! 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before shortening, added spacing

In 2016 Paroxetine 20mg for 4 months then stopped more or less cold turkey -> waves and windows pattern i now know

Started 10mg Escitalopram 4 Mar 2022
From 10 to 20mg on 19 Apr 2022
From 20 to 15mg on 23 Jun 2022
From 15mg to 7,5mg on 5 Sept 2022 (I was supposed to drop from 15mg to 12,5mg but I accidentally used 5mg and half of 5mg pills instead of 10mg and half of 5mg pills, when I found out 2 weeks later I decided to keep to 7,5mg since most of the WD symptoms subsided by then, I now regret this. During this period I thought I also caught a stomach bug but after reading up here I think this was also WD symptoms) From 7,5mg to 5mg on 23 Sept 2022

Started Cross tapering Escitalopram 5mg to tapering strip brand from 26th of feb 2024 over one week and stabilised on 5mg untill 31 March 2024.

31 March 2024 started taper using tapering strips. 

Escitalopram 04/20/24 - 4,5mg (hold because of WD symptoms raming up), 

• ChessieCat changed the title to sandnit: escitalopram tapering - I think have withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  You are correct, in that your doctor is having you taper too fast, and with too big of reductions, and your brain and body are having a hard time adjusting to the tapering, hence your many symptoms.  I will give you instructions for how to continue your taper at the end of this message.  

On 10/19/2022 at 4:20 AM, sandnit said:

The weird thing also is 2 weeks after the drop I had some good days (3 or 4) and both mental and physical symptoms where better but then the symptoms came back with vengeance and i am in a bad way since.

Are these from withdrawal .....since the last drop is already more than 3 weeks ago?? 

Actually, this is very common.  You will see why when I explain more about tapering and withdrawal.  We call this windows and waves.  Please read the links I will give you, which will help you understand these things.  And, it certainly doesn't help that you got a stomach bug.  

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we generally taper by 10% of the current dose no more than once every 4 weeks, so that the reduction becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering Escitalopram

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

It sounds as if you are in the process of stabilizing, since you report getting better with the nausea, the headaches, the night sweats.  I do suggest reading my link on coping above, as these techniques will help you get through these symptoms more easily, and this can make a big difference, especially with the anxiety, depression, dread/doom, etc.  

On 10/19/2022 at 4:20 AM, sandnit said:

My plan is to see how i feel on 5mg for a good while and than taper down to 0.

I hope you will not jump directly to 0 from 5 mg.  It is especially important to taper really slowly at the lower doses, and by smaller and smaller reductions. 

I strongly suggest that you hold on your current dose of 5 mg of escitalopram for a long time.  I would hold for at the very least 3 or 4 months, but 6 to 9 months would be ideal.  This will really give your nervous system a break, and give it a chance to catch up with the frequent and large reductions you have done over the past 6 months.  When I was trying to taper the same drug, I had to do a reinstatement back to 5 mg, then held for about 9 months before trying to taper again.  Now, I'm off the drug entirely, and very glad I had this hold period.  It was much easier tapering after that.  

Good luck, and please let us know how you are doing.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Hi getofflex,

thank you! i'm so grateful for your reply!! 

When I was waiting for the reply i took the chance to start investigating the forum and already found some of the links you are referring to:)

I do still have some questions. I hope you don't mind me asking them? English is not my native language so I hope you can follow.

13 hours ago, getofflex said:

Actually, this is very common.  You will see why when I explain more about tapering and withdrawal.  We call this windows and waves.  Please read the links I will give you, which will help you understand these things.  And, it certainly doesn't help that you got a stomach bug.

I read about the windows and waves but it thought this happened to people after they stopped the medication rather than during tapering. So this is also common during tapering?

Regarding the stomach bug; I thought I had a stomach bug but now looking back on this with the information I have now I'm wondering it was due to the big drop from 15mg to 7,5mg. It happens 3 or 4 days after this drop. Could this also be the cause?   

14 hours ago, getofflex said:

It sounds as if you are in the process of stabilizing, since you report getting better with the nausea, the headaches, the night sweats.  I do suggest reading my link on coping above, as these techniques will help you get through these symptoms more easily, and this can make a big difference, especially with the anxiety, depression, dread/doom, etc.  

Some physical symptoms seem to be getting better gradually but some days they are worse than others and symptoms seem to alternate.

Most prominent physical symptom I'm dealing with now is this weird feeling in my head. It is hard to describe, it is like a head pressure or sometimes it feels like my brain is to small or to big for my head. Sometimes i feel it in my forehead but mostly on the sides of the head (temples). Is this also a common WD symptom? 

Mentally it is a rollercoaster, some days seem to be much better or worse than others and even during a day it can take a quick turn in all directions. 

Most off the time it is hard to feel my feelings (if you know what i mean).... but sometimes i get really emotional without any reason. And sometimes I feel like I'm watching a movie and not my life ..... so weird and hard to describe.

Also common to WD? 

It has now been more than 4 weeks after the last reduction and it looks like my system is still in the process of stabilizing. Is it because of the too fast and too big of reductions it takes more time for my body to catch up? 

14 hours ago, getofflex said:

I hope you will not jump directly to 0 from 5 mg.  It is especially important to taper really slowly at the lower doses, and by smaller and smaller reductions. 

I strongly suggest that you hold on your current dose of 5 mg of escitalopram for a long time.  I would hold for at the very least 3 or 4 months, but 6 to 9 months would be ideal.  This will really give your nervous system a break, and give it a chance to catch up with the frequent and large reductions you have done over the past 6 months.  When I was trying to taper the same drug, I had to do a reinstatement back to 5 mg, then held for about 9 months before trying to taper again.  Now, I'm off the drug entirely, and very glad I had this hold period.  It was much easier tapering after that.  

In the past few days after reading up here I was wondering if I needed to up my dose a little bit to help with the symptoms but maybe it is best to just to stay at 5mg for a good amount of time to give my system a break.

Although most of the symptoms are still there I think they are getting better really really slow. 

What do you think?  

No, for sure I will not be jumping to 0 thanks to your help and the help of this website. Before I decide to taper further I will make sure I wait a long time and use the 10% taper method. 

Thanks again !! 

Wishing you all the best!

In 2016 Paroxetine 20mg for 4 months then stopped more or less cold turkey -> waves and windows pattern i now know

From 15mg to 7,5mg on 5 Sept 2022 (I was supposed to drop from 15mg to 12,5mg but I accidentally used 5mg and half of 5mg pills instead of 10mg and half of 5mg pills, when I found out 2 weeks later I decided to keep to 7,5mg since most of the WD symptoms subsided by then, I now regret this. During this period I thought I also caught a stomach bug but after reading up here I think this was also WD symptoms) From 7,5mg to 5mg on 23 Sept 2022

Started Cross tapering Escitalopram 5mg to tapering strip brand from 26th of feb 2024 over one week and stabilised on 5mg untill 31 March 2024.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 minutes ago, sandnit said:

Regarding the stomach bug; I thought I had a stomach bug but now looking back on this with the information I have now I'm wondering it was due to the big drop from 15mg to 7,5mg. It happens 3 or 4 days after this drop. Could this also be the cause?   

This sounds like it might have been a withdrawal symptom.  It is on the withdrawal symptom list.  I had this happen when I reduced my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg.  About 2 or 3 days later I had an upset stomach.  It wasn't bad but I thought I had a bug.  When I joined SA I realised it was probably from withdrawal.

5 minutes ago, sandnit said:

I read about the windows and waves but it thought this happened to people after they stopped the medication rather than during tapering. So this is also common during tapering?

Windows and waves can happen at any time.  It is just what happens as the brain makes adjustments and sorts things out.  As you experienced with the upset stomach, when the drug is taken away too quickly there are different parts of the body both physical and mental that can be affected.

7 minutes ago, sandnit said:

It has now been more than 4 weeks after the last reduction and it looks like my system is still in the process of stabilizing. Is it because of the too fast and too big of reductions it takes more time for my body to catch up?

It can take as little as 4 weeks for the brain to adapt to getting the drug.  When we reduce the drug by too much the brain has to make more adjustments.  If we only take away a little bit then the brain doesn't have to make as many adjustments.

9 minutes ago, sandnit said:

In the past few days after reading up here I was wondering if I needed to up my dose a little bit to help with the symptoms but maybe it is best to just to stay at 5mg for a good amount of time to give my system a break.

If you can live with the symptoms then it is generally better to stay at the dose you are taking.  The brain likes consistency changing your dose too often can sometimes make things worse.  Your brain just needs time to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  You will need to be patient and use non drug coping techniques when the symptoms feel worse.

12 minutes ago, sandnit said:

Although most of the symptoms are still there I think they are getting better really really slow. 

It does happen slowly.  Compare how you feel now to how you felt at your worst.  Sometimes the improvements are so subtle or happen so slowly that it can be hard to notice them.  You might keep a diary of your symptoms so you can remember how you felt and compare them.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you ChessieCat!!

17 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

It can take as little as 4 weeks for the brain to adapt to getting the drug.  When we reduce the drug by too much the brain has to make more adjustments.  If we only take away a little bit then the brain doesn't have to make as many adjustments.

Just trying to understand .... English is not my native language so please bear with me.

So what you are saying that it is easier for the brain to get used to the drug when it is introduced than stopping or reducing the drug when not done correctly in little reductions? And because of me tapering too fast with too big of reductions my brain is now playing catchup, hence it takes more time to stabilize/ adjust? I'm not going to ask how much time do you think is necessary. I guess that's different for every situation and person. 

So patience, coping techniques and acceptance are key here I guess?  

Do you have any idea if the head pressure like feeling could be from WD? Anyway, I didn't experience this before starting the taper.

Thanks again for you work! so grateful for it.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, sandnit said:

Do you have any idea if the head pressure like feeling could be from WD?

I think it probably is.  When I reduced one time I got pain in the ears and head pressure.  I took some cold medication but it didn't do anything.  I ended up taking a little bit more Pristiq and it cleared very quickly.

4 minutes ago, sandnit said:

And because of me tapering too fast with too big of reductions my brain is now playing catchup, hence it takes more time to stabilize/ adjust?

Yes, that is correct.  Your brain has more work to do to balance things out.  Have you ever seen dominoes when they line them up and then knock them.  If they accidentally knock over a few when they are constructing it then there is less work to do to fix it.  If they knock over a lot when constructing it then there is more work to do.

You might find this video helps to explain it:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Or these:

On 12/27/2015 at 6:37 AM, Altostrata said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 

AND

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

That's so helpful ChessieCat and will help me put things into perspective, be more patient and more accepting. Thank you!

One more thing and i will stop bothering you:). During this WD period it feels like my mood changes for some while (mostly downward) after I eat breakfast, lunch or diner. Could this also be linked to WD / intestinal problems? Or my sensitized system due to WD?

Again, thank you for you work!!

• Mentor
9 hours ago, sandnit said:

During this WD period it feels like my mood changes for some while (mostly downward) after I eat breakfast, lunch or diner. Could this also be linked to WD / intestinal problems? Or my sensitized system due to WD?

If you did not have this symptom before taking the medication then most likely it is part of withdrawals. 

you may find more information for those symptoms in link here

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Thank you so much Heath for you reply. 

At the moment it such a rollercoaster, I feel ok for some time and out of the blue my mood crashes and physical symptoms start ramping up at the same time.

Are these the windows and waves that I'm feeling ?? and is it common that they follow each other up during the day in the the stabilizing period? 

But i'm greatful to feel ok for some time, i hope these windows get longer.  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes what you are experiencing is very normal.  Generally what happens is that the windows (feeling improvements) happens more often and last for longer and the waves are not quite as bad and don't last as long.

From the quote that I gave in my previous post:

"Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made."

• Moderator Emeritus

If you drink alcohol I suggest that you don't.

alcohol-wine-and-beer

Depending on how it affects you, you might consider not consuming caffeine; coffee, cola (Mt Dew and Dr Pepper), energy drinks, a lot of chocolate.

Thanks ChessieCat !

I have tried alcohol when on Escitalopram but it seems to have a really bad effect with some delay. I would have a drink or 2 and the next day I would be fine but after 2 or 3 days it made me feel bad...... not sure why the delay?

So I decided not to drink alcohol anymore until I'm of Escitalopram. I wasn't a big drinker and mostly I don't miss it but in some occasions I do miss a nice beer. 

I'm am a coffee drinker in the morning. For some reason I always had the feeling that after a cup it made me feel better, less anxious at times...….. maybe it is just placebo. But i do not have the feeling it hurts me..... maybe it is not a bad idea to cut back a bit during the WD period?

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, sandnit said:

maybe it is not a bad idea to cut back a bit during the WD period?

It's up to you.  If you don't think it is causing any issues, then you can possibly continue drinking it.  But if in the future you notice an increase in symptoms then you might stop it and see if it makes a difference.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, sandnit said:

I would have a drink or 2 and the next day I would be fine but after 2 or 3 days it made me feel bad...... not sure why the delay?

Because alcohol is similar to a benzo, and the delayed effect is possibly withdrawal (especially if you were drinking regularly), just like when people take a benzo.  Different things can alter the time it takes for a reaction to something.  You might be a slow metaboliser, or something that you consume/take or your body size/weight might cause it to be slower than another person.  Or it might just have been the interaction with the escitalopram.  Or a combination of things.

Edited by ChessieCat

On 10/19/2022 at 11:20 AM, sandnit said:

Physical:

* problems with my stomach and intestines. I had diarrhea and then constipation for several days and now diarrhea again. Nausea is significantly reduced but still have bouts of nausea

* Tinnitus much worse than usual

Headaches from time to time but seems to get less

* a feeling in my head like my brain is too small for my head. 

* a very weird dizzy feeling in my head like you're on a boat. Sometimes I'm literally going back and forth a bit. This seems to be getting less  

sometimes very dizzy standing up after picking something of the floor

* night sweating, this seems to get better 

Mental:

I have a kind of constant feeling of dread / doom. I really feel it in my head and not my body and it is without any reason (hard to explain).

Overall feeling of bleeehhh.

* more anxiety

I feel somewhat more depressed.

Can't concentrate

* it's harder to deal with stressful situations

* my memory seems to be worse.

Hello to you !! 
im glad I found your post because i feel better reading that we have kind of same symptoms. I have been many years on paroxetine and before i heard about this website, my doc made me changed for escitalopram cause paroxetine seemed useless. We are not far from each other @sandnitI am from France. Différent language but same fight for médication freedom. 
i am at 3mg Now of escitalopram, and its been 10 or 14 days that i have diarrhea and stomach ache, i thought of a bug… but sure it is part of WD cause i have nausea also in the morning and even a taste of metal in my throat. Tinnitus is part of my days too but less stronger that at thé beginning. Headache happened but its ok, i can deal with it. And i had cortisol spike waking up at 4 or 5 with dread/doom, like half asleep/half awake…until i get off bed. 
also, after few days i done my taper to reduce, i have also something difficult to explain…. Anxiety/dread/doom….with no reason and it last couple of days. I dont like that, i think it is the worth symptoms. 
some stressfull situations is very difficult to handle. Being more anxious…. 

‘’Well as you see, we feeling thé same in our fight. I start tapering a year ago my escitalopram but i guess if i feel little better is the paroxetine that i stopped a year ago that is getting better. 
it will be Nice to follow our adventure…. 
take care 

Nicolas 

1999-2002 Seropram 20mg, 2002-2004 Paxil 10mg; 2004-2012 Paxil 20mg, 2012-2013 Effexor 75mg, 2013-2018 Paxil 20mg, 2018-2019 Effexor 75mg, 2019-2021 Paxil 20mg, 2021-present Lexapro 5mg

10-2022 Lexapro 4,5mg + Fish oil + Magnesium, 06-25-2022 Lexapro 4mg + fish oil + Magnesium, 07-23-2022 Lexapro 3.5mg + fish oil + magnesium 

08-23-2022 Lexapro 3.2mg + fish oil + magnesium 

10-13-2022 Lexapro 3mg + fish oil + magnesium

01-01-2023 Lexapro 2,9mg + fish oil + magnesium (insomnia + night anxiety + anxiety) 

01-20-2023 Lexapro 3mg + fish oil + magnesium 

02-11-2023 Lexapro 5mg (no fish oil - no magnesium)

Had to take one prazepam (10mg) in night January22nd 2023 

Had to take one prarepam (10mg) in night February 10th 2023

Prazepam if needed in case of panic attack

• 2 weeks later...

Last week i have been having pretty good days. Really grateful for that!! 

Last couple of days though it seems some symptoms are ramping up like:

* this weird head pressure feeling is returning / getting worse

* tinitus is worse.

* concentration is worse

* waking up really early.

* little bit more anxious and depressed.

Although they ramped up the are not at the level it was before...... i hope it does not get worse.

I guess this is a wave?? And last week a window?

I did have some bad sleep last week due to my 1 year old waking up a lot at night. Can waves be induced by external factors or is it just the brain working on healing?

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, sandnit said:

Although they ramped up the are not at the level it was before...... i hope it does not get worse.

I guess this is a wave?? And last week a window?

This sounds like a wave.  It's very good that it's not as bad as previously.  It means you are stabilizing.  

3 hours ago, sandnit said:

I did have some bad sleep last week due to my 1 year old waking up a lot at night. Can waves be induced by external factors or is it just the brain working on healing?

Yes, on both counts.  Waves can be induced by stress, so your 1 year old waking up a lot could be a factor.  And yes, waves are evidence that the brain is healing.  It feels counterintuitive, because you actually feel worse, but read this:  

On 12/26/2015 at 1:37 PM, Altostrata said:

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 
And just like the Twin Towers- it's possible - but the building is a major effort -and it takes a good year or more sometimes. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/Smileys/standard/smiley.gif
(Now look at the new Tower that stands at Ground Zero!  It's taller, [...], and a symbol of freedom.  JUST like you will be!  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/Smileys/standard/thumbsup.gif)

This explains very well what is going on while your brain is healing: 

What is Happening in Your Brain?

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Thank you so much Getofflex !

It strengthens me to know that feeling worse is actually a sign of healing. But you are right it feels counterintuitive. Reminding myself it is a good sign will help me for sure. Untill now it is still not as bad as before so again a good sign:)

The weird head feeling I have literally feels like there is construction going on in my head. Also it feels like things are changing. For instance I don't feel that anxious anymore. Instead I feel a little bit more depressed or blahhh....hard to describe the feeling.... Could this be the healing process at work...?

Mornings are mostly the hardest. I think this is pretty typical isn't it?

Question about supplements. I take a multivitamin that contains a whole range of vitamin B. I read that vitamin B could give some problems. Is it better not to take this? I also take fish oil and magnesium. Any tips ??

thanks!!

Just to add to the above.

During these "wave" days i am so tired at night and struggle to stay awake past 9 pm ..... i guess it is partly due to waking up so early but could it be the healing part takes a lot of energy ? 

Also i sometimes have these spikes of feelings / emotions (sometimes fear/ anxiety, or other emotions) coming out of nothing without a trigger it seems....... is this also something common to withdrawal ? 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, sandnit said:

Also i sometimes have these spikes of feelings / emotions (sometimes fear/ anxiety, or other emotions) coming out of nothing without a trigger it seems....... is this also something common to withdrawal ? 

Possibly a cortisol spike:

early-morning-waking-managing-the-morning-cortisol-spike

Thanks for the reply ChessieCat. 

These spikes happen mostly in the morning and the last couple of days i can't sleep past 5:00 am 

But they happen sometimes later in the day as well. I read about neuro emotions maybe this is what's happening? 

I didn't have any of this last week ...... the waves are hard to accept

At the end it doesn't matter what is going on. I tend to want to rationalize and understand everything but i think it is better just to accept these waves rather then to fight them.

• Moderator Emeritus

There will most likely be times during recovery that you will not be able to work out the cause or what the symptom is.

The way I looked at things and still do is I assess what has happened in my life recently, any changes, reduction, any external, internal changes, stopped/started supplement etc.  It might be that I haven't slept well for a few night, or I might be a bit stressed over something (a disagreement with someone, bad news on the TV), or I might be getting pain/discomfort from something (I have bad back).  If I cannot put the cause down to any of those things I just think oh it must be a withdrawal symptom or drug side effect.

It would be nice if you could put a name to each symptom but sometimes we can't do that.  Sometimes I would just think oh that symptom is back again without giving it a name.  If you have a symptom that appears regularly you might want to choose a name to give it.  I think I recall a member giving a symptom the name of a person they didn't like.  I think if we give it a name of some sort then it might be easier for us to deal with mentally, because it is a more definite something not a vague something.

Thanks for the reply.

This morning I woke even earlier pfff.

And feeling worse overall:(   Yesterday I had some bouts of nausea as well during running. 

I was hoping it wouldn't get this bad.....

Does this mean I'm not stabilizing? Or still in the process of stabilizing? 

Can it take this long to stabilise on a dose? it has been 5 week since my last reduction. 

Sorry for rambling..... I'm just worried.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, sandnit said:

I could be that you are in a wave.  I'm guessing you are, because you said last week you had some pretty good days.  So, you are in the process of stabilizing.  Lexapro is a hell of a powerful drug, and you did a 33% drop about 1.5 months ago, so your system is reeling.  This is why we suggest only reducing by 10% per reduction.  Please give yourself lots and lots of time, and try not to worry about the symptoms, although I understand it is only natural to do so.  

6 hours ago, sandnit said:

Can it take this long to stabilise on a dose? it has been 5 week since my last reduction. 

Yes it most certainly can, especially because you did the big drop.  I can take months to stabilize when one has been tapering fast. My suggestion would be to hold for 3-6 months at least, maybe even 9 months, and really give your nervous system a change to adjust to your current dose.  During my Lexapro taper, I did a 9 month hold, and then later, a 5 month hold, and they both did me a world of good.  Patience is the key here. 

The nervous system is extremely complex, and it takes a very long time to adjust.  Read this link which explains this quite well: 

What is Happening in Your Brain? (Explains why recovery takes so long)

Try reading this, it can be very helpful.  

Steps for Managing WD Symptoms

Edited by getofflex

Thanks so much Getofflex for your reply.

Yes for sure I did have some good days last week!! 

You are also right, I did a 33% drop 1,5 months ago. And only 3 weeks before that I did a drop from 15mg to 7,5mg..... So 50%.

Could it be I'm also still dealing with the effects of the 50% drop ?

One more question about this link:

This really explains well what is going on in the brain but it is about benzos. Does the same principle count for lexapro WD ? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, sandnit said:

Could it be I'm also still dealing with the effects of the 50% drop ?

Yes

21 hours ago, sandnit said:

Thanks for the reply.

This morning I woke even earlier pfff.

And feeling worse overall:(   Yesterday I had some bouts of nausea as well during running. 

I was hoping it wouldn't get this bad.....

Sorry for rambling..... I'm just worried.

Hello sandnit. I feel the same as you. 5.00am sometimes 4.00am. Strange feeling… are we dreaming ? Are we awake ? Maybe a bit of the two….

hard to get off the bed so awake at 5 but not out of the bed before 6 or 7am.

there is no remedy my friend. Time and patience is the key. 
omega3 and magnesium help me a lot !!! 
find a good magnesium like a bisglycinate magnesium. you are at 5mg, I am at 3mg… 

Our Symptoms are similar…. So we definitely live our wIthdrawal journey. Learn about your symptoms and on your next reductions when they will appear again you will fight them more easily. 

1999-2002 Seropram 20mg, 2002-2004 Paxil 10mg; 2004-2012 Paxil 20mg, 2012-2013 Effexor 75mg, 2013-2018 Paxil 20mg, 2018-2019 Effexor 75mg, 2019-2021 Paxil 20mg, 2021-present Lexapro 5mg

10-2022 Lexapro 4,5mg + Fish oil + Magnesium, 06-25-2022 Lexapro 4mg + fish oil + Magnesium, 07-23-2022 Lexapro 3.5mg + fish oil + magnesium 

01-01-2023 Lexapro 2,9mg + fish oil + magnesium (insomnia + night anxiety + anxiety) 

Nick, Thanks for the reply my friend. Yes we need to be patient and accepting. 

The hardest thing for me is that I feel better for some days thinking I'm fine and hoping the bad days do not return but sadly they still do. My system is not stable yet due to tapering much to fast. I went from 15mg to 5mg in less than 2 months. I'm going to hold the 5mg for at least 6 months to give my system time to adjust. Hoping better days will be more frequent.

Thanks for the tip, how much magnesium do you take? And when do you take it? I take magnesium nitrate and omega 3 but not consistently. 

23 minutes ago, sandnit said:

Nick, Thanks for the reply my friend. Yes we need to be patient and accepting. 

The hardest thing for me is that I feel better for some days thinking I'm fine and hoping the bad days do not return but sadly they still do. My system is not stable yet due to tapering much to fast. I went from 15mg to 5mg in less than 2 months. I'm going to hold the 5mg for at least 6 months to give my system time to adjust. Hoping better days will be more frequent.

Thanks for the tip, how much magnesium do you take? And when do you take it? I take magnesium nitrate and omega 3 but not consistently. 

Hey 

magnesium from a French laboratory but normaly it’s 6mg by kilos weight but it is also in food. Here is what I take 

https://www.terravita.fr/magnesium-bisglycinate-1500mg.html
and 

https://fr.myprotein.com/
look for oméga3 essential 

you will see Ingredients. Try to find similar. Very important to have ratio EPA and DHA 

Hi there. 

I have a question. Today while I was cleaning something of the floor I got extremely dizzy after standing up. I had to hold the table for a short while. 

Could this be a withdrawal symptom ??

• Moderator Emeritus

Please search the site for questions like these, thank you.  

How to Do a Site Search

Ok got it. Thanks Getofflex

1 hour ago, sandnit said:

Hi there. 

I have a question. Today while I was cleaning something of the floor I got extremely dizzy after standing up. I had to hold the table for a short while. 

Could this be a withdrawal symptom ??

Yes. Physical symptoms… or sometimes dizzyness when turning your eyes too quickly. 

43 minutes ago, Nicolas45140 said:

Yes. Physical symptoms… or sometimes dizzyness when turning your eyes too quickly.

Thanks for the reply Nick, it felt like WD symptom