☼ GGGG: CT 2.6 years ago, help managing symptoms

GGGG

I stopped taking antidepressants  in 5 days after being on them 20 years.  I've been med free 2.6 years.   I still have anxiety, depression. And  insomnia.  A lil better tho  Has anyone cold turkeyed after being on them 20 years?  I get heartburn and have gastritis. When did you start feeling better?

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

oct 2020 started amitryptyline took it 3 months 

Dec started wellbutrin, Stopped it 3 months later 

Started Paxil again for 3 months

took vibryd for 1 month, Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day, Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a dayfor 6 months 

August 2020 - Off all antidepressants 

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, GGGG.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I'm going to give you some links on withdrawal and one on protracted withdrawal so you'll have a better idea what you're going through.  There is, unfortunately, no way to predict how long withdrawal will take, but It has been our experience that everyone does heal in time.  The anxiety, depression and insomnia that you describe are very typical withdrawal symptoms.  The heartburn and gastritis could be withdrawal related or due to other causes; withdrawal can cause just about any type of physical as well as mental and emotional distress.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal …

The following links are about dealing with anxiety.  Try and remain as calm as possible and not to panic.  It's important to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

CBT Course:  An Introductory Self-Help Course in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

VIDEO:  Peace from Nervous Suffering - Claire Weekes (1 hour) (http://sendvid.com/vgquc1dg)

Anxiety Stuff - all kinds of stuff about anxiety attacks and things that help …

10 minute Restorative Yoga for Relaxation | Up the wall

The following links are about dealing with insomnia.

Tips to help sleep - so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Tricks and tips to fall asleep faster

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/16/tips-tricks-fall-asleep-faster.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170216Z1&et_cid=DM133787&et_rid=1889748952

Some members have found melatonin helpful with insomnia.   See Melatonin for sleep   It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

l

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Year 2000. Paxil  I couldn't tolerate sweat 

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

Dec started wellbutrin 

Stopped it 3 months later 

took vibryd for 1 month 

Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day

Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a day

for 6 months 

I still take same 100mgs 2 xa day 

I've been off antidepressants 2.6 years but I still struggle with anxiety, depression, insomnia and acid indigestion.

Would visatril slow my healing down if I took it at night for sleep

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

• Administrator

Hello, @GGGG

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 6 months?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The last 6 weeks have been bad.  I have a week that i stopped taking food enzymes, liver blend, vitamins, and sam e im tapering off it. Ive been taking  every other day then  every 3rd day. Them im going to stop it.    I have 4 days taking vistaril to sleep. 

On 1/31/2023 at 5:00 AM, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, GGGG.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

I'm going to give you some links on withdrawal and one on protracted withdrawal so you'll have a better idea what you're going through.  There is, unfortunately, no way to predict how long withdrawal will take, but It has been our experience that everyone does heal in time.  The anxiety, depression and insomnia that you describe are very typical withdrawal symptoms.  The heartburn and gastritis could be withdrawal related or due to other causes; withdrawal can cause just about any type of physical as well as mental and emotional distress.

Brain Remodelling 

The following links are about dealing with anxiety.  Try and remain as calm as possible and not to panic.  It's important to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

VIDEO:  Peace from Nervous Suffering - Claire Weekes (1 hour) (http://sendvid.com/vgquc1dg)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/16/tips-tricks-fall-asleep-faster.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170216Z1&et_cid=DM133787&et_rid=1889748952

Some members have found melatonin helpful with insomnia.   See Melatonin for sleep   It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

l

Thanks for the reply. I have gastritis and I really need to sleep.  I started taking vistaril to sleep

On 1/31/2023 at 5:00 AM, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, GGGG.

Brain Remodelling 

l

I tried on my phone under account settings and it doesn't let me out my ned history 

10 hours ago, GGGG said:

Thanks for the reply. I have gastritis and I really need to sleep.  I started taking vistaril to sleep

Is walking or jogging better for gastritis? 

Just now, GGGG said:

If I take visatril to help me sleep would it slow down my healing and would I need to taper off of it if I take it daily because either really helps me sleep and calm my stomach down and I sleep good with it

• Moderator Emeritus
48 minutes ago, GGGG said:

If I take visatril to help me sleep would it slow down my healing and would I need to taper off of it if I take it daily

According to your post, you've only been taking the Vistaril for 4 days.  If that's the case, you wouldn't need to taper.

49 minutes ago, GGGG said:

really helps me sleep and calm my stomach down and I sleep good with it

Vistaril does affect the central nervous system, so for someone in withdrawal that could be a problem.  You'd have to decide for yourself on this.

52 minutes ago, GGGG said:

Don't know.   For withdrawal, we recommend gentle exercise.

1 hour ago, GGGG said:

I tried on my phone under account settings and it doesn't let me out my ned history 

You'll need to use a computer rather than a phone to do your drug signature.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

10 minutes ago, Gridley said:

According to your post, you've only been taking the Vistaril for 4 days.  If that's the case, you wouldn't need to taper.

Vistaril does affect the central nervous system, so for someone in withdrawal that could be a problem.  You'd have to decide for yourself on this.

Don't know.   For withdrawal, we recommend gentle exercise.

You'll need to use a computer rather than a phone to do your drug signature.

So walking? What about a lil bit of lifting weights? 

• Moderator Emeritus
23 minutes ago, GGGG said:

So walking? What about a lil bit of lifting weights? 

There are no hard and fast rules.  Generally we recommend gentle as opposed to strenuous exercise for members in withdrawal.  See what works best for you.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, GGGG said:

Please be careful with your information. I just removed a phone number from your signature. 

As Gridely mentioned, it is easier on a computer than a phone.

If you don't have access to a computer, please list your signature history information here in your introduction thread in a post and I'll copy and paste it into your signature for you. 

4 hours ago, Shep said:

Please be careful with your information. I just removed a phone number from your signature. 

As Gridely mentioned, it is easier on a computer than a phone.

If you don't have access to a computer, please list your signature history information here in your introduction thread in a post and I'll copy and paste it into your signature for you. 

sweat 

Dec started wellbutrin 

Stopped it 3 months later 

took vibryd for 1 month 

Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day

Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a day

for 6 months 

I still take same 100mgs 2 xa day 

I've been off antidepressants 2.6 years but I still struggle with anxiety, depression, insomnia and acid indigestion.

Would visatril slow my healing down if I took it at night for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

@GGGGThanks for making that list. I've added it to your signature. Going by your note that you've been off antidepressants for 2.6 years, that would make your stop date around August 2020. Is that correct? 

Some of your symptoms may be from the Sam-e. Please see:

SAM-e (S-adenosyl-L-methionine)

What was the month and year that you started taking Sam-e? 

Please list all of the supplements and any drugs you are taking, along with the dose and the time(s) of day you take them. 

On 2/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, Shep said:

@GGGGThanks for making that list. I've added it to your signature. Going by your note that you've been off antidepressants for 2.6 years, that would make your stop date around August 2020. Is that correct? 

Please list all of the supplements and any drugs you are taking, along with the dose and the time(s) of day you take them. 

I stopped taking liver blend, probiotics, vitamins and  food.enzymes  2 weeks ago. I took that right after stopping my antidepressants. 2.7 years ago.  My second week coming off sam e.   I'm taking it every other day then every 3 days. 

On 2/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, Shep said:

On 5/8/2017 at 3:00 AM, coldturkmama said:

I'm 3.5 yrs out from a cold turkey. I was on Paxil 20 mg for 14 or 15 yrs and then upped to 40 mg for 8 months when I stopped.

I had stopped and started the medication before, but always returned to it thinking it was me- not withdrawal.

Slowly but surely- the brain heals.

How are you now?

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, GGGG said:

My second week coming off sam e.   I'm taking it every other day then every 3 days. 

We recommend taking drugs and supplements consistently, so you'll want to take Sam-e every day and at the same dose and time of day - every day. Please see:

DO NOT TAKE YOUR MEDICATION EVERY OTHER DAY TO TAPER.

How much are you taking every other day? In your signature, you have "sam e 100mgs 3X a day". What doses and days have you taken it over the past month? 

I suspect that some of your symptoms are from this type of erratic dosing. 

4 hours ago, GGGG said:

I stopped taking liver blend, probiotics, vitamins and  food.enzymes  2 weeks ago. I took that right after stopping my antidepressants. 2.7 years ago.

Why did you stop taking these 2 weeks ago? Were you having adverse reactions to them? Did you feel better or worse after stopping them? 

4 hours ago, GGGG said:

I stopped taking liver blend, probiotics, vitamins and  food.enzymes  2 weeks ago. I took that right after stopping my antidepressants. 2.7 years ago.  My second week coming off sam e.   I'm taking it every other day then every 3 days. 

I want to know  what supplements are  causing my stomach issues. So stopped takung g them except liquid calphonite #2  and sam e.   .l took them  after getting off antidepressants in July 2020  for 6 months .then 100 mg 2 x a day morning and evening.  So this last week I've been wanting to get off the sam e.  I'm also low in vitamin d. And I'm takin avitamin d supplement d from Amazon. Vegetarian formula 

52 minutes ago, Shep said:

We recommend taking drugs and supplements consistently, so you'll want to take Sam-e every day and at the same dose and time of day - every day. Please see:

How much are you taking every other day? In your signature, you have "sam e 100mgs 3X a day". What doses and days have you taken it over the past month? 

Why did you stop taking these 2 weeks ago? Were you having adverse reactions to them? Did you feel better or worse 

14 minutes ago, GGGG said:

I want to know  what supplements are  causing my stomach issues. So stopped takung g them except liquid calphonite #2  and sam e.   .l took them  after getting off antidepressants in July 2020  for 6 months .then 100 mg 2 x a day morning and evening.  So this last week I've been wanting to get off the sam e.  I'm also low in vitamin d. And I'm takin avitamin d supplement d from Amazon. Vegetarian formula 

So if I was taking sam e 100 mg 2 x day morning evening  for 2.6 years.  Should i take 100 mg in the morning only for a week then cut the eneretic tablet in half the next week

1 hour ago, Shep said:

Why did you stop taking these 2 weeks ago? Were you having adverse reactions to them? Did you feel better or worse after stopping them? 

Today I had an episode of deep depression.  Maybe it was because of the tapering.  so do I take the full amount again? Or jus the morning 100 mg?

1 hour ago, Shep said:

On the 16 th of Feb  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.  I've been having mor anxiety and depression.     What do i do. Do I start taking 100 every day. Then taper off the that or do I go back on the full dose of 100 mg 2 x a day 

Just now, GGGG said:

On the 16 th of Feb  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.  I've been having mor anxiety and depression.     What do i do. Do I start taking 100 every day. Then taper off the that or do I go back on the full dose of 100 mg 2 x a day 

U was doing ok in Nov  and Dec but I started eating fast food, sugar etz.  Then it went bad fir me. I git depressed So now I'm on my good diet of vegetables, organic oatmeal organic eggs. And no sugar.  

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, GGGG said:

So if I was taking sam e 100 mg 2 x day morning evening  for 2.6 years.  Should i take 100 mg in the morning only for a week then cut the eneretic tablet in half the next week

You may be able to taper sam-e faster than we recommend tapering a drug. However, if you're having a lot of symptoms, you may want to taper this supplement the same way we recommend tapering an antidepressant - no faster than 10% a month, based on the prior month's dose (not the original dose). Please see:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please don't taper any faster than your nervous system can handle. With a prior history of antidepressant withdrawal, you'll want to be especially careful not to traumatize your nervous system any more. 

10 hours ago, GGGG said:

Today I had an episode of deep depression.  Maybe it was because of the tapering.  so do I take the full amount again? Or jus the morning 100 mg?

You may still be getting windows and waves from the antidepressant withdrawal, along with issues with the supplement. Please see:

9 hours ago, GGGG said:

Since it's only been about a week since you started tapering, you could go back to the full dose that you were at before you started tapering February 16th. 

What did you add in vitamin D? 

2 hours ago, Shep said:

You may be able to taper sam-e faster than we recommend tapering a drug. However, if you're having a lot of symptoms, you may want to taper this supplement the same way we recommend tapering an antidepressant - no faster than 10% a month, based on the prior month's dose (not the original dose). Please see:

Please don't taper any faster than your nervous system can handle. With a prior history of antidepressant withdrawal, you'll want to be especially careful not to traumatize your nervous system any more. 

You may still be getting windows and waves from the antidepressant withdrawal, along with issues with the supplement. Please see:

Since it's only been about a week since you started tapering, you could go back to the full dose that you were at before you started tapering February 16th. 

Around 3 weeks ago because I was low in vitamin d 

2 hours ago, Shep said:

For how many weeks should i start taking the full dose again?

2 hours ago, Shep said:

My vitamin d levels were at 21. I bought a vitamin d vegetarian formula  on amazon.  I didn't want to take the dr prescribed pill. 

14 hours ago, GGGG said:

honestly that could be ♥️ 

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

On 2/24/2023 at 6:10 AM, coldturkmama said:

honestly that could be ♥️ 

How are you now?

Is it normal to sleep 2 hrs then I wake up for 15 min then at 5:50 I'm up and can't go back to sleep. I can't tolerate melatonin or anything.  I've been off antidepressants  2.7 years 

Much better.

you’ll get there.

I cut out sugar and exercised, went on healthy keto and started practicing what Claire Weekes talks about in her book hope and help for your nerves. Time does help a lot. 

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

1 hour ago, coldturkmama said:

Much better.

you’ll get there.

I cut out sugar and exercised, went on healthy keto and started practicing what Claire Weekes talks about in her book hope and help for your nerves. Time does help a lot. 

How were you at the 3 year mark?

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/24/2023 at 7:55 AM, GGGG said:

For how many weeks should i start taking the full dose again?

This post may help you decide when it's a good time to taper:

WDNormal

Please hold until you feel stable. This may be a few weeks or even a few months. You'll be the best judge of when you feel you can make a decrease. 

@GGGG

I see that you have started a number of new threads in the Symptoms forum for topics that already exist.  In the future can you please look up with the search function whether these topics exist and post in their original thread? I'm going to delete these new topics so please find the threads that exist and if they don't answer your question, ask it in the respective already existing thread. 

You can also ask questions about your own situation in your intro thread (here). We like to keep the site tidy so that people can easily find the information they're looking for.

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

4 hours ago, Onmyway said:

@GGGG

I see that you have started a number of new threads in the Symptoms forum for topics that already exist.  In the future can you please look up with the search function whether these topics exist and post in their original thread? I'm going to delete these new topics so please find the threads that exist and if they don't answer your question, ask it in the respective already existing thread. 

You can also ask questions about your own situation in your intro thread (here). We like to keep the site tidy so that people can easily find the information they're looking for.

OMW

Ok thanks