Jessie23 Does lamictal count for withdrawal

Jessie23

Hello. This website is surviving antidepressants so i don’t know if this drug counts since lamictal is not an ssri or snri.  I started lamictal and once I got to 100mg I started having panicked attacks and anxiety insomnia dysohoria brain fog and dizziness I taper to 0 in one week and this was one year ago and I still have severe dpdr anxiety and panic attacks. I believe I had an adverse reaction that didn’t rear  its head until I got to higher doses. Could I have had an adverse reaction as well as withdrawl? I was on the drug for 10 weeks total. After lamictal I take buspar for three weeks then cold Turkey at 7.5mg. It has been one year total of drugs and still have panic anxiety insomnia and severe brain fog and feel like nothing is real. I also dissociate and get vivid mental images that cause me to panic. 

Lamictal 0-100 mg June 9 to august 4 2022

Buspar 10mg august 1 to august 15 2022

• Altostrata changed the title to Jessica2325 Does lamictal count for withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Jessica2325

Yes, lamotrigine counts for withdrawal. Here are our Tips for tapering off lamotrigine (Lamictal)

On 8/11/2023 at 7:55 PM, Jessica2325 said:

once I got to 100mg I started having panicked attacks and anxiety insomnia dysohoria brain fog and dizziness

These are symptoms of too much lamotrigine.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:55 PM, Jessica2325 said:

It has been one year total of drugs and still have panic anxiety insomnia and severe brain fog and feel like nothing is real. I also dissociate and get vivid mental images that cause me to panic. 

Do these symptoms occur at any particular times of day? How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 3 months?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @Jessica2325

Yes, lamotrigine counts for withdrawal. Here are our Tips for tapering off lamotrigine (Lamictal)

These are symptoms of too much lamotrigine.

Do these symptoms occur at any particular times of day? How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 3 months?

I have been locked out of this account somehow. The anxiety panic and insomnia comes in waves lasting days but the dpdr brain fog is constant. I was on medication for ten weeks total. Lamictal issues revolved with stopping the med but everything hit hard and fast after a few weeks of buspar. Anhedonia resolved quickly but other symptoms are still here 

• Altostrata changed the title to Jessica23 Does lamictal count for withdrawal
  • Administrator

Hello, @Jessie23 I merged your 2 accounts. You can log in with this one.

When did you last take lamotrigine? When did you take Buspar?

How has your symptom pattern changed since you stopped Buspar?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

22 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @Jessie23 I merged your 2 accounts. You can log in with this one.

When did you last take lamotrigine? When did you take Buspar?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

It has been a year since I have taken either medication 

• Administrator
On 8/18/2023 at 6:19 PM, Altostrata said:

Please add Buspar to your signature.

8 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please add Buspar to your signature.

Ok I’ve done this. All my dr and neurologist say it’s impossible the meds cause this for this long. Surely dpdr everyday for over a year can’t be normal? Is this drug related? Maybe my brain has rewired permanently now. I’m not sure

• Administrator
On 8/20/2023 at 7:06 AM, Jessie23 said:

All my dr and neurologist say it’s impossible the meds cause this for this long.

This site exists because every one of its 20,000 members heard the same things from their doctors.

It appears you are still recovering from an adverse reaction to lamotrigine and possibly lamotrigine withdrawal syndrome. We have hundreds of people here with a similar condition.

What are you doing for daily exercise?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

This site exists because every one of its 20,000 members heard the same things from their doctors.

It appears you are still recovering from an adverse reaction to lamotrigine and possibly lamotrigine withdrawal syndrome. We have hundreds of people here with a similar condition.

What are you doing for daily exercise?

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

Could the buspar have contributed? It took about three weeks to start feeling issues after stopping the lamictal 

• Administrator

It's possible Buspar caused adverse effects as well. But it's still best to hang in there and let your nervous system settle down.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

It's possible Buspar caused adverse effects as well. But it's still best to hang in there and let your nervous system settle down.

Thank you. As my system heals should I expect the panic anxiety and dpdr to resolve? Also, how did you keep faith for 11 years that you would heal one day? 

• Administrator

On 8/22/2023 at 7:32 PM, Altostrata said:

These articles don’t answer my question. Are these issues normal for one year off a med I was on for 8 weeks?

• Administrator
On 8/21/2023 at 11:19 PM, Altostrata said:

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It would make since that not every brain chemistry is compatible with these medications. Could I have some permanent re wiring of my brain? The dpdr is all day everyday no matter how much I sleep or rest or drink water. 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Jessie23 said:

Could I have some permanent re wiring of my brain?

Probably not. When we say recovery is slow, what we mean is recovery is slow.

Dpdr is a relatively mild symptom, by the way. Hang in there, enjoy life as much as you can while you recover.

22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Probably not. When we say recovery is slow, what we mean is recovery is slow.

Dpdr is a relatively mild symptom, by the way. Hang in there, enjoy life as much as you can while you recover.

Oh I did not see recovery would be slow on my thread here anywhere. Why does it take so long to heal if a med was only ingested for 8 weeks? Dpdr might be mild in retrospect  of  what others have suffered but for me it’s all consuming and makes me scared I’m checking out of reality. I remember a time before I felt like this and it only started with the lamictal at higher doses 

• Administrator
On 8/21/2023 at 11:19 PM, Altostrata said:

See 

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

The importance of recognizing you're feeling good

On 8/26/2023 at 9:23 PM, Altostrata said:

I think the dosage of lamictal caused an adverse reaction but my length on the medication put me at risk for withdrawal. The buspirone probably didn’t help. I’m not sure which symptoms were due to stopping lamictal or starting buspirone. It took 10-14 days to start feeling the intense panic dpdr nausea dizziness vomiting after stopping lamictal. I’ve read it has a long half life. I am trying to remain positive but having this panic dpdr dissociation for a year now leads me to believe I am stuck this way. 

• Administrator
On 8/29/2023 at 10:49 AM, Jessie23 said:

I’ve read it has a long half life.

Lamotrigine has a very short half-life.

On 8/29/2023 at 10:49 AM, Jessie23 said:

having this panic dpdr dissociation for a year now leads me to believe I am stuck this way

We have many people here whose withdrawal syndrome took far longer than a year to go away.

What is your current symptom pattern? How has it changed in the last 4 months?

How's your sleep?

10 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Lamotrigine has a very short half-life.

We have many people here whose withdrawal syndrome took far longer than a year to go away.

What is your current symptom pattern? How has it changed in the last 4 months?

How's your sleep?

The package insert says the half life is 25 hours. It says it takes about 14 days to clear the system which adds up to around when I got my most intense symptoms off 2 weeks off lamictal and 2 weeks on buspar. I’m sure I’ll never fully know what caused what.  My sleep is bad I have horrible insomnia no matter what I try which makes the dpdr worse. Symptoms have been the same level of intensity for the last four months. Panic and anxiety comes and goes in waves but dpdr is consistent at the same level. I do think the lamictal caused all this since it didn’t happen until the medications 

• Administrator
On 8/31/2023 at 6:29 AM, Jessie23 said:

I do think the lamictal caused all this since it didn’t happen until the medications 

Very possibly, but it appears your withdrawal syndrome is going away naturally, though very slowly (which is normal), and your symptoms are relatively mild now. If I were you, I'd let your nervous system fix itself and help it with good, fresh food, regular sleep, daily exercise such as walking, etc. 

Very possibly, but it appears your withdrawal syndrome is going away naturally, though very slowly (which is normal), and your symptoms are relatively mild now. If I were you, I'd let your nervous system fix itself and help it with good, fresh food, regular sleep, daily exercise such as walking, etc. 

In the case of the dpdr could it be that my brain has healed and this is just how I am now? And my nervous system won’t go back to the way it was before these medications?

On 9/1/2023 at 6:51 PM, Altostrata said:

My dpdr and dissociation and insomnia have been severely intense the last four days I am very afraid I am going crazy. I am exhausted but cannot sleep at all. This must be permanent I am trying to stay hopeful but I am very afraid 

• Administrator

@Jessie23 withdrawal insomnia can make you feel terrible. What is your sleep pattern? Did it change in the last week?

10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

@Jessie23 withdrawal insomnia can make you feel terrible. What is your sleep pattern? Did it change in the last week?

I’ve had insomnia on and off the last year. it has picked up worse the last two weeks or so. I know dpdr is mild compared to what is possible with withdrawal but it truly feels like I am stuck this way and won’t ever return to the state I was in before the lamictal. The anxiety I had then was nothing compared to the anxiety the drugs caused and I’ve felt since stopping them. I never dissociated before either. I know I must control my worry but I do fear I am stuck this way 

• Administrator

What is your sleep pattern? Did it change in the last week?

What is your sleep pattern? Did it change in the last week?

No ma’am. I go to bed at the same time every night. Now I just feel exhausted but can’t fall asleep at all

• Administrator

What time do you go to bed? What is your sleep pattern? How much sleep are you getting?

11 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What time do you go to bed? What is your sleep pattern? How much sleep are you getting?

I go to bed at 8pm every night and get up around 6. I toss and turn. Should the panic be less by now? And the dpdr?

• Administrator
On 9/6/2023 at 9:13 AM, Jessie23 said:

Should the panic be less by now? And the dpdr?

When does this panic occur? As you described earlier, it appears your withdrawal symptoms are gradually going away. DP/DR will gradually fade as well. It's "normal" for this to take many months. See 

Over a week, what is your average amount of sleep? 

See these tips to strengthen sleep. Keeping the bedroom cool and very dark with blackout curtainsl is important. You may find melatonin helpful to get sleep started.

What is the sleep cycle?

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing the morning cortisol spike

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

White noise devices for sleep

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

7 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

When does this panic occur? As you described earlier, it appears your withdrawal symptoms are gradually going away. DP/DR will gradually fade as well. It's "normal" for this to take many months. See 

Over a week, what is your average amount of sleep? 

See these tips to strengthen sleep. Keeping the bedroom cool and very dark with blackout curtainsl is important. You may find melatonin helpful to get sleep started.

What is the sleep cycle?

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing the morning cortisol spike

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

White noise devices for sleep

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

I hadn’t felt much panicky or anxiety for a few weeks then it started up again yesterday. I have the dpdr even if I’m not anxious. I’ve taken melatonin nightly for probably 2 years it used to help but now not so much. I take a tiny amount never more than 3mg as I’ve read this can be counterproductive and cause insomnia. Does the nervous system ever return to its previous state or is one always vulnerable to set backs? There’s probably no way to know for sure? Maybe it’s individual to everyone

• Administrator

Withdrawal symptoms can occur intermittently for a long time. 

What is your sleep pattern? How much sleep are you getting?

Please explain what you mean by DP/DR.

Withdrawal symptoms can occur intermittently for a long time. 

What is your sleep pattern? How much sleep are you getting?

Please explain what you mean by DP/DR.

Probably a few hours a night I wake up a lot and can’t go back to sleep. By dpdr I mean my vision is blurry even though I had my eyes checked and things don’t feel real or look real I feel floaty and disconnected from my body and surroundings. My brain has a hard time staying present 

• Administrator
On 9/7/2023 at 4:47 PM, Jessie23 said:

Probably a few hours a night I wake up a lot and can’t go back to sleep.

How many hours, between what times and what times?

On 9/7/2023 at 4:47 PM, Jessie23 said:

By dpdr I mean my vision is blurry even though I had my eyes checked and things don’t feel real or look real I feel floaty and disconnected from my body and surroundings. My brain has a hard time staying present 

It can take a long time to recover from an adverse drug reaction. Blurry vision is not a feature of dpdr, have you had this checked by an opththalmologist?

11 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How many hours, between what times and what times?

It can take a long time to recover from an adverse drug reaction. Blurry vision is not a feature of dpdr, have you had this checked by an opththalmologist?

Between 8pm and 7am maybe 4 hours of broken sleep. Yes ma’am I have. They did a ton of tests and images and said it’s brain fog and to see a neurologist which I did but every scan came back clean