Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

Ucfgemini

• Administrator

Just reading this thread and can confirm that Dr. Kelly Brogan is not taking new patients but i can recommend

Smith Healy G MD
Psychiatrist
Address: 80 University Pl, New York, NY 10003
Phone:(212) 367-7010

She works closely with Dr. Brogan.

Correction to her name. it is reversed above

should be

Dr. Healy Smith

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Thomas C. Bent, MD

Laguna Beach Community Clinic
362 Third Street,
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
(949) 494-0761

http://lbclinic.org/about-lbclinic/

Dr. Bent, a family physician, was mentioned as knowing about tapering in an article on an American Medical Association Web site http://www.amednews.com/article/20090309/health/303099976/4/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

Scott Haltzman, MD
200 High Service Avenue
North Providence RI 20904
(401)456-3824

http://drscott.com/about/

He currently serves as the Medical Director in the Behavioral Health Department at St. Joseph’s Medical Center, in Providence Rhode Island.

Dr. Halzman, a psychiatrist, was quoted in an article on an American Medical Association Web site http://www.amednews.com/article/20090309/health/303099976/4/ as saying "If we're trying to get them off these drugs, we can do it, but for some people it is painstakingly slow."

Michael Kimball, PhD, Psychotherapist

705 S Main St Plymouth, MI 48170

(734) 454-3560

I know he is now only taking appointments at his new place in Toledo, OH. He was my therapist for 2 years and my husband's for 2.5 years. Drugs are a last resort (he is against them) and he understands tapering and withdrawal symptoms.

History: Began suffering from panic attacks when my father passed away in 2005. Been on and off SSRIs (Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor XR), and therapy since then.

2009 - Started Effexor XR 75mg. Consistent therapy starting Oct 2013

Feb 2014 - Therapist and I felt I was ready to come off Effexor - went to half dose (37.5mg) for a week and then off completely by advice of psychiatrist - bad w/d for a week then gone

May 2014 - bad protracted w/d came out of nowhere.. constant dizziness, agoraphobia(never had before), intense headaches, fatigue for 3 months, all tests (brain MRI, inner ear tests, blood tests, etc.) normal. could not drive, grocery shop, or live life.

Aug 2014 - back on Effexor XR 75mg as neurologist thought these symptoms were my anxiety coming back, all w/d symptoms disappear within 2 weeks. I should have went back on at a lower dose, but I hadn't discovered this site yet. I finally did discover this site, and gave myself a year to stabilize.

July 2015 - Started tapering from 75mg. 5% cuts every 3 weeks. From July 2015 - March 2016, reduced to 37.5mg (half dose). In March 2017, down to 18.3mg (quarter dose). April 2020 - down to 0.38mg.

Now: Finally med free as of Oct 31, 2020 after 5.5 years of tapering. Still med and withdrawal free, January 2023. ☀️

Supplements during tapering and now: Meditation, daily exercise, fish oil, clean diet, working from home (more sleep!)

Mcc2929,

I just sent Laura Kelly an email. I tried the number but it took to long to wait for an operator.

How are you doing now?

Does Laura Kelly take insurance? Thanks.

Currently on 50mg of Pristiq.  Been on AD for 18 years.  Off Xanax since June 2, 2015, Tapered.  Pristiq has caused stomach issued and increasing cholesterol since May 2014.  Time to find a way off.

• Moderator Emeritus

I just saw this on Shades of Awakening 

This is a RESIDENTIAL community, but they claim they will help withdrawal.  If you look on the website:

http://innerfire.us/

You will see that they have a psychiatrist on their consulting staff.

I do not know their procedures, I cannot recommend them personally.  This just seemed useful for someone who needs a safe place for emergencies, including psych drug withdrawal.

Inner Fire

Beatrice Birch

Grace Brook Farm

26 Parker Road

Brookline Vermont 05345

802-221-8051

Inner Fire is a proactive, residential healing community offering a choice for adults to recover from debilitating and traumatic life challenges without the use of psychotropic medications.

We seek deep and lasting healing through an intensive program that first stabilizes a person in crisis, gradually replaces medication with holistic healing practices, addresses the core issues precipitating pain and then develops skills for growing beyond these issues and becoming an enthusiastic and vital member of their community. Inner Fire offers an alternative approach:
  • Responsible Medication Withdrawal
  • Farm-based Work Therapy
  • Complementary and Alternative Thearapies
  • Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes
  • Mentoring, Peer and Life Coaching
Inner Fire grew out of the personal and professional experience ofeatrice Birch and James Taggart. Beatrice is a leading practitioner of Haushka Artistic Therapy and has worked throughout the world in treatment facilities nd training institutes. She has applied knowledge from 30 years of professional practice in prisons, inner cities, residential facilities and her own private practice. Jim has extensive administrative, marketing and fund-raising experience, having been the Executive Director of Spring Lake Ranch, one of the oldest residential treatment centers in the nation, and provided consulting and planning services to many other similar facilities

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

I just saw this on Shades of Awakening 

This is a RESIDENTIAL community, but they claim they will help withdrawal.  If you look on the website:

http://innerfire.us/

You will see that they have a psychiatrist on their consulting staff.

I do not know their procedures, I cannot recommend them personally.  This just seemed useful for someone who needs a safe place for emergencies, including psych drug withdrawal.

Inner Fire

Beatrice Birch

Grace Brook Farm

26 Parker Road

Brookline Vermont 05345

802-221-8051

Inner Fire is a proactive, residential healing community offering a choice for adults to recover from debilitating and traumatic life challenges without the use of psychotropic medications.

We seek deep and lasting healing through an intensive program that first stabilizes a person in crisis, gradually replaces medication with holistic healing practices, addresses the core issues precipitating pain and then develops skills for growing beyond these issues and becoming an enthusiastic and vital member of their community. Inner Fire offers an alternative approach:
  • Responsible Medication Withdrawal
  • Farm-based Work Therapy
  • Complementary and Alternative Thearapies
  • Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes
  • Mentoring, Peer and Life Coaching
Inner Fire grew out of the personal and professional experience ofeatrice Birch and James Taggart. Beatrice is a leading practitioner of Haushka Artistic Therapy and has worked throughout the world in treatment facilities nd training institutes. She has applied knowledge from 30 years of professional practice in prisons, inner cities, residential facilities and her own private practice. Jim has extensive administrative, marketing and fund-raising experience, having been the Executive Director of Spring Lake Ranch, one of the oldest residential treatment centers in the nation, and provided consulting and planning services to many other similar facilities

Good find .. as far as I know.. Dr. Fishelman, the psychiatrist, is aware of and respect's Alto's work.  I've heard excellent things about her in the local community here.  I thought she was in here, or I would have added her name.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...

Hope, please see the list in the first post in this topic.

Andrew Pundy, MD is a doctor who offers benzo tapering http://drpundy.com/benzo-addiction/

His office is also accepting patients for tapering of antidepressants and antipsychotics as well as benzos.

Andrew Pundy, MD

http://drpundy.com/

1875 Dempster Street

Suite 490

Park Side Center Park Ridge, IL 60068

Phone: 847-518-8490

Fax: 847-518-8492

hubby saw dr. pundy.  he didn't seem to be too much about the tapering... but he did do a genetic test that revealed hubby would do better on some ADs/APs (zoloft and latuda) vs. his current meds (paxil and zyprexa).  he didn't have anything to say about hubby's continued use of ativan (now going on 3 years) which surprised me.

i was not terribly impressed by him. 

diagnosed with MDD/GAD nov 2013, 6 months following CMV complications post-kidney transplant.  lst zyprexa taper 12 months; /increased paxil to 30 mg; crash nov 2014 w/ suicidal ideation & 10day hospitalization.  2nd zyprexa taper 6 months; crash after 6 weeks; reinstated zyprexa 15mg in 6/15 (both tapers worked well to the 2.5mg dose).  3rd zyprexa taper ... 17mg 3 mos;  15mg 1 mo; 10mg 3 mos, 5 mg 3 mos. 2.5mg caused some decompensating, so back to 3mg and  the 10% redux.  UPDATE: moved to FL in late 2016. found great new psychiatrist who agrees that hubby taking too many meds.  continued zyprexa taper and finally  jumped off at .5mg in 2018.  had terrible insomnia. added seroquel @ 300 mg and then tapered 10% to 12.5mg over 2 years. everything was great until it wasnt; hubby suddenly got very agitated and manic.  hospitalized 2x in early 2020 for "idiopathic secondary mania" and diagnosed as bipolar.  seroquel now back @ 100mg plus depakote @ 2500 mg and trazadone @ 100mg. 

mirtazapine 30 mg 45mg 15mg

ativan .5mg 1x/day, occasionally .5 addl  if needed for sleep 3x/day n now 1x/day

paxil 20 mg 1x/day 

gabapentin 1200 - 1800 mg 2 -3 x/day

immunosuppressive drugs for kidney transplant: sirolimus, tacrolimus, mycophenalate, prednisone, levothyroxin and a whole handful of others

• Administrator

Very disappointing. Even those doctors who know what tapering is are not that sophisticated about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of any close to Kenosha Racine or Milwaukee who take badger care plus plan 80840

hi there. not sure about badger care as we have private insurance. but i would for sure recommend staying away from dr. david bresnahan, who is a bigtime fan of polypharmacy.  hubby saw a couple of other psychiatrists in the milwaukee area while we lived there -- dr. james winston and dr. james hurth -- who were better.  i think dr. hurth only handles in-paitent cases at columbia st. mary's hospital but his office may be able to recommend someone.  good luck!

diagnosed with MDD/GAD nov 2013, 6 months following CMV complications post-kidney transplant.  lst zyprexa taper 12 months; /increased paxil to 30 mg; crash nov 2014 w/ suicidal ideation & 10day hospitalization.  2nd zyprexa taper 6 months; crash after 6 weeks; reinstated zyprexa 15mg in 6/15 (both tapers worked well to the 2.5mg dose).  3rd zyprexa taper ... 17mg 3 mos;  15mg 1 mo; 10mg 3 mos, 5 mg 3 mos. 2.5mg caused some decompensating, so back to 3mg and  the 10% redux.  UPDATE: moved to FL in late 2016. found great new psychiatrist who agrees that hubby taking too many meds.  continued zyprexa taper and finally  jumped off at .5mg in 2018.  had terrible insomnia. added seroquel @ 300 mg and then tapered 10% to 12.5mg over 2 years. everything was great until it wasnt; hubby suddenly got very agitated and manic.  hospitalized 2x in early 2020 for "idiopathic secondary mania" and diagnosed as bipolar.  seroquel now back @ 100mg plus depakote @ 2500 mg and trazadone @ 100mg. 

ativan .5mg 1x/day, occasionally .5 addl  if needed for sleep 3x/day n now 1x/day

paxil 20 mg 1x/day 

immunosuppressive drugs for kidney transplant: sirolimus, tacrolimus, mycophenalate, prednisone, levothyroxin and a whole handful of others

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone in the St Louis area recommend a good place for accupuncture? I hate just picking someone random.

Edited by KarenB
moved from stand alone topic

Robinlynn

zoloft 2004-2014 with taper off

zoloft October of 2015 25 mg then tapered off over next 10 days  :(

• 2 weeks later...

The psych nurse I see has been supportive of my tapering. She does not pressure me to do it faster and she prescribes what I need. She's open to the use of supplements and has some knowledge in that area--though not lots.

I don't think she can handle any problems with the tapering process and I would not say she's an expertin withdrawal/tapering, but since there's no one from Arizona on this list, I thought I would list her name here. At the very least she will listen, believe your symptoms are real and prescribe what you need without pressuring you. That's more than most doctors do. Oh and she takes most major insurance providers.

I do have to warn some of you that have made the decision to never use psych meds again, she might suggest them if your condition does not improve. In this case simply remind her how sensitive you are, and she won't pressure further. It's not like she brings it up all the time either (maybe twice in the 1.5 years I've seen her).

Here's her info:

Judy Hahn MSN, PMHNP-C, ANP-C

1130 E. Missouri Ave, Suite 830

Phoenix, AZ 85014

Phone: 602-710-1113

e-mail: jhahnnp@gmail.com

Hope this helps someone.

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

I'm not sure of the protocol of adding a doctor here (if they need to be contacted and agree to it, etc.?) I would nominate my psychiatrist, Dr. Elizabeth McMasters, from McHenry Community Health Center, McHenry, IL. She has been very sympathetic, and seems to recognize my descriptions as withdrawal syndrome, not relapse. She has been supportive and willing to taper slowly and carefully, and has shown interest when I share things I have learned about withdrawal syndrome. She has never once tried to suggest I need to stay on medication for life, and seems conservative about prescribing. I'm not sure if she would consider herself a withdrawal expert but she does seem more knowledgeable than anyone else I have run into.

[below added by admin]

Dr. Elizabeth McMasters

Pioneer Center for Human Services

Main: 815.344.1230

Fax: 815.344.3815

Admissions: 815.759.7204

GetHelp@pioneercenter.org

Liberty Square

3901 Mercy Dr

McHenry, IL 60050

815-363-9900

4100 Veterans Pkwy

Mchenry, IL 60050

(815) 385-6400

YouTube https://youtu.be/AxoFsY4jxDs

and an article that mentions her http://www.nwherald.com/mobile/article.xml/articles/2012/06/25/r_4mg0x17_q5szh54sfrzsuw/index.xml

Hi there Jfrank. As you probably know, Dr McMasters is no longer there. If you happen to know if she is still practicing and has a new contact info, please let me know. Thanks. I hope you are doing OK

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

For benzo withdrawal, from https://lifelieswaiting.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/how-to-get-a-doctor-to-help-you-taper-off-of-benzodiazepines/

Dr. Stevan Gressitt

11 State House Station
32 Blossom Lane Marquardt Bld 2nd Floor
Augusta, ME 04333

(207) 287-4273

Dr. Gressit is also director of the University of New England Institute for Pharmaceutical Safety and is a member of the Maine Benzodiazepine Study Group

See the list of MDs and DOs who belong to the study group here http://www.benzos.une.edu/#NewsandeventsThey may be of help. Please post in this topic if you consult with any of them.

• 3 weeks later...

ive been calling through dozens of psychiatrists and mental health facilities again the past few days.  i have one tentative claim of dealing with protracted withdrawal, and one positive response.  the positive responder said he would like to be added to the SA list (or any others), and supports people in getting off medications.  he offers alternative treatments for any remaining psychiatric conditions, but does not take insurance.  i have not seen him, so this is just based on the phone conversation we had.

Thomas A. Gonda, Jr., MFT, MD

Direct Phone Line:  (510) 495-4826

FAX:  (888) 960-9076

E-mail:  tgondajr@earthlink.net

Webpage:  http://www.thomasgonda.com/

Licensing:

California Licensed Physician and Surgeon (G 60409)

California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFC 50715)

Services:

Psychotherapy, Psychopharmacology, Solution Focused Talk Therapy, Insight

Locations:

Market Street Center for Psychotherapy

1231 Market Street, Suite 810

San Francisco, CA  94103

San Francisco Healing Arts Building

1801 Bush Street at Octavia

San Francisco, CA  94109

Marin County Psychotherapy

700 E Street, 2nd floor

San Rafael, CA  94901

Montclair Psychotherapy

2220 Mountain Blvd, Suite 240

Oakland, CA  94611-2905

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there - not sure if you're still active or following this thread, but what info could you provide about Dr. Carroll? I actually have an appointment with her next week.

Kathleen Carroll, MD

Psychiatrist

336 E Bloomingdale Ave, Brandon, FL 33511
(813) 689-2466

Current meds (Unluckily LOTS; I no longer see original prescribing doctor):

6/11/16: Effexor 150 mg, Zoloft 62.5 mg, Lamictal 150 mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 100 mg

11/6/16: Effexor 187.5 mg, Zoloft, Lamictal 125/150* mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 50 mg

* alternating doses every other day

Hi!  I was put on Zoloft by my regular Dr. and she did not recognize I was having a bad reaction to it so I got off after a week.  Then 5 weeks later in bad bad withdrawal I went to see Dr. Vilardebo who almost killed me....she put me on all these SSRIs when I cannot take them!!!  I tried them for 2 months.  Went to the hospital out of my mind and they said I cannot take SSRIs.  So, they took me off cold turkey and all h3ll from loose............2 months later I went to see Dr. Carroll just to see what a new psych would say and she said I def had an adverse reaction and to stay away from SSRIs.  This was almost a year ago and I still see her and she recommends therapy, etc.... you know, stuff that does not help during this horror show but at least she recognized what happened to me.   She was telling how she helped someone taper for 2 years, etc... so she will help you taper if that is what you are doing.  Or are you already off the meds?  I am almost 12 months off the SSRIs and in incredibly bad shape still. 

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Hey KT: I live east of Tampa also (probably in your same area) and had the same bad experiences with Dr. Vilardebo (now Fickey). She is a nice person, but prescribed me on WAY too many medications. I was on a rollercoaster of a bunch of different meds she wanted to "try" me on; then I went into the hospital after the Valium she gave me made me depressed and suicidal. I was put in the hospital this past November as a result (very bad experience there), where they put me on a bunch of *different* meds and Ativan 2 mg/day. 

It was only then that I did some research on these meds and especially became scared of taking the Ativan. I've tapered down to 1.125 mg a day, but still am on the "cocktail" of meds Dr. V put me on. I've since started seeing a new psych, but am not too happy with her, either. She tried cutting me from 75 mg Zoloft to 0 mg in three weeks, and there's just no way (I've cut down to 62.5 and will try to cut down to 50 after this weekend). I told her I wanted to prioritize the Ativan tapering (Ashton manual says to do the benzo tapering first, then the A/Ds), but she is insistent that I stay on the Ativan and that it will "help" me through the A/D tapering. She also suggested I go into the hospital again and come off everything C/T under their supervision! I've checked around with ppl in the benzo communities and they are unanimous that this is a terrible idea on her part.

I'm glad you had a good experience with Dr. Carroll. I will probably need the slow-and-long treatment as well. I have to work and need to support my family (and at least be a somewhat functional wife and mom to two teenage boys!). I can live with some discomfort but can't be totally disabled, so need to go S-L-O-W.

Thanks so much for the recommendation; I'll read your message now. :)

6/11/16: Effexor 150 mg, Zoloft 62.5 mg, Lamictal 150 mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 100 mg

11/6/16: Effexor 187.5 mg, Zoloft, Lamictal 125/150* mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 50 mg

mjk -- interested to hear how it goes with dr. carroll. i tried to get an appointment for hubby in november, and they said she was booked out until march! so i didn't both as hubby was in bad shape at the time and we couldn't wait for her.  so far we've been to see a psych at mayo in jax, and 2 here in st. pete. the mayo doc was good but she's 4 hours away and they don't serve as regular psychiatrists anyway -- the 2 here are terrible and so we're still in search of someone good.  right now hubby sees dr wojas at USF -- we call her 'dr coldfish" as she has the worst personal style of nearly any doc i've ever met.  the other is dr shah who didn't even ask hubby about his background or how he came to be depressed and anxious before telling him to cut down the paxil (not the right call based on what the mayo doc says).  hubby is still on the polypharmacy, although he's managed to eliminate gabapentin entirely without any wd and has cut the zyprexa down to 7.5mg. dr coldfish wanted him to increase the latuda to 40 mg -- he did and felt terrible so dropped it back down to 20mg.  i'm still hoping we can start a zyprexa microtaper sometime in the summer/fall and then start on the paxil. note, many of the folks in this forum disagree with dr. ashton's advice on eliminating the benzo first, and i have to agree.  hubby is still taking .5mg ativan in the mornings and i think it works on the acute anxiety he feels when he first awakens; i do think this will be the last drug we taper for that reason.  but i'm sure alto or one of the other mods can provide some insight on that for you.

pls let me know what you think of dr carroll and if she's worth waiting 3 months for?

paxil 20 mg 1x/day 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is one for AUSTRALIA - Western Australia - one that I had reply to my Email Campaign.

Australia: WA

Jennifer Wright (Certified Hakomi Therapist)

I have many years of experience helping adults of all ages with depression, anxiety, adjustment issues and personal problems. As a Clinical Psychologist, I am unable to offer advice on antidepressant withdrawal.  However, along with other therapists at Chelsea Psychology, I am happy to support people as they withdraw from medication.

CONTACT DETAILS:

Chelsea Psychology

Suite 3 (upstairs)

Chelsea Professional Centre

145 Stirling Highway

NEDLANDS WA 6009

Phone:        08 9386 6020

Mobile :       0423 072 231

Email:         zeus@iinet.net.au

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

mjk -- interested to hear how it goes with dr. carroll. i tried to get an appointment for hubby in november, and they said she was booked out until march! so i didn't both as hubby was in bad shape at the time and we couldn't wait for her.  so far we've been to see a psych at mayo in jax, and 2 here in st. pete. the mayo doc was good but she's 4 hours away and they don't serve as regular psychiatrists anyway -- the 2 here are terrible and so we're still in search of someone good.  right now hubby sees dr wojas at USF -- we call her 'dr coldfish" as she has the worst personal style of nearly any doc i've ever met.  the other is dr shah who didn't even ask hubby about his background or how he came to be depressed and anxious before telling him to cut down the paxil (not the right call based on what the mayo doc says).  hubby is still on the polypharmacy, although he's managed to eliminate gabapentin entirely without any wd and has cut the zyprexa down to 7.5mg. dr coldfish wanted him to increase the latuda to 40 mg -- he did and felt terrible so dropped it back down to 20mg.  i'm still hoping we can start a zyprexa microtaper sometime in the summer/fall and then start on the paxil. note, many of the folks in this forum disagree with dr. ashton's advice on eliminating the benzo first, and i have to agree.  hubby is still taking .5mg ativan in the mornings and i think it works on the acute anxiety he feels when he first awakens; i do think this will be the last drug we taper for that reason.  but i'm sure alto or one of the other mods can provide some insight on that for you.

pls let me know what you think of dr carroll and if she's worth waiting 3 months for?

Sure thing. Is it you who is on the meds in your sig, or your hubby?

Hi Pokeshaw

I see in your signature that you are seeing Dr. Kelly Brogan-have you found it helpful?  I had reached out to her when I was first starting to feel depressed late 2012/early 2013 and she told me she did not prescribe meds and refereed me to a colleague.

I was wondering if her protocol was working for you.

Hi Hibari -  Yes, I have seem Dr Brogan. I am one of those who are too sensitive to supplements so was not able to take anything she prescribed but I did change my diet at her suggestion. basically a paleo diet based on 'The Perfect Health Diet' that she recommends. She also suggested that since I am so sensitive to supplements I should work energetically and she referred me to a very good homeopath, Rebecca Elmaleh here in NYC. I saw the homeopath for a time and that was somewhat helpful but then even on the remedies I began to have aggravated symptoms so I took a break.

She is quite wonderful and i wish i could take the supplements. Maybe in the future. Mainly I was just so relieved to see someone who completely understood what was happening to me. that was worth a lot!

Poke

7 yrs Lexapro 10 mg. Mar/2011 - 1 month taper. Severe W/D. Multiple symptoms.Gallbladder and parathyroid surgery in Aug and Oct. Disability 3 months.  Dec/2011 reinstated 5mg Lex and went back to work. very bad shape.

By Aug/2012 - self tapered to 1.25 mg cutting pills. -very bad shape. Nov/2012  Dr. Hinz neuro-replete. up and down. Aug/2013 at aprox 1.0 mg Lex stopped neuro-replete ~Oct 2013 Found this site  ~ began using compounded Lexapro and have been micro tapering since then and holding as needed.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

2/1/2018 - .135 mg  Now reducing 5-10% per month 

4/1/18 - .1 mg

4/17/18 - changed delivery from compounded individual caps to aliquot. went from .1 mg to .09 aliquot

7/4/2018 - .09 mg Holding due to wave of W/D symptoms

7/22/18 updosed to .1 mg aliquot

9/30/18 - reduced to .0975 aliquot

2/1/19 - updosed to .1 mg aliquot due to instability bad wave W/D

9/12/19 - back to .1 mg individual caps since could not get stable using aliquot

Hi again,

I have to say that I got a good impression from Dr. Carroll. She wants me to go a little lower on my Ativan and then hold; she really thinks I need to taper off my Seroquel first as she says it can have bad long-term effects. I've only been on Seroquel since January, so hopefully the tapering from that won't be too painful. It sounds like she is amenable to not only tapering, but also reading up on the Ashton Manual, which neither of my other doctors were too keen on. 

I also like her because, unlike one of my former doctors, she isn't condescending to me, nor does she make suggestions that I C/T off everything I'm on--that doctor seemed to be under the impression that it wouldn't be that big of a deal in the long run. Ummmm...no. Dr. Carroll, in contrast, seems to be more sensible and empathetic. 

Do you live in the Jacksonville area, and would you commute this far to consult with her?

boof

Sorry forgot to reply to this . I always forget about posts.  Dr Bishop cannot prescribe drugs . He does have expertise in  Pychopharmacology, I  probably butchered the spelling.  And is also a Phycoanalyst . He does have contacts to help precribe and guide through a super slow taper . So Pychiatrists  but not sure about GP.     He really has been a massive help for me. If it wasnt for his letter to my GP she would have never treated me as someone with SSRI discontinuation syndrome. Hes also tried to help me get Financial assistance. I got called by the insurance company yesterday and they are reviewing my case. I dont know if I will be accepted as you guys know they dont believe in withdrawal. But at the very least I have tried and all the forms were filled out . I will update the board when I find out.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Sorry forgot to reply to this . I always forget about posts.  Dr Bishop cannot prescribe drugs . He does have expertise in  Pychopharmacology, I  probably butchered the spelling.  And is also a Phycoanalyst . He does have contacts to help precribe and guide through a super slow taper . So Pychiatrists  but not sure about GP.     He really has been a massive help for me. If it wasnt for his letter to my GP she would have never treated me as someone with SSRI discontinuation syndrome. Hes also tried to help me get Financial assistance. I got called by the insurance company yesterday and they are reviewing my case. I dont know if I will be accepted as you guys know they dont believe in withdrawal. But at the very least I have tried and all the forms were filled out . I will update the board when I find out.

he is here

http://www.drscottbishop.ca/cred.htm

I did not see any links to drug withdrawal or Mad... 

Other than paper work what does he do for you?  Anything?  It is nice to have the facts laid out and a spade called a spade but really I think I am beyond it ... I no longer care what they call me.. so over it.  Is he of any use in your opinion for folks in wd who are off the drug for years... asking an opinion maybe you don't know the answer that is ok too..just say so. 

peace

it is still the same place that fired Healy 

search Healy here if you like..

http://scientific-misconduct.blogspot.ca/2008_07_01_archive.html

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Hey I think that's how he knows Healy. He talks so highly of him. To be honest paperwork and getting your other doctors to be on same page is probably the main thing he can help with. He suggests many things that we know on this site for coping like meditation courses, naturopath and just eating healthy. Slowly being active. And doing what you can. Im not sure if he could be a big help

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I see his page doesn't talk about drug withdrawal but believe me I have seen him 5 times and follow his Twitter. On Twitter all he does is repost articles from healy, rxisk and mad in America. Not sure if you have twitter but if you do check it out

Here see if this link works. I think you can look without signing up. Withdrawal and medication harms seems to be his personal interests

Check out Dr. Scott R Bishop (@DrScottBishop): https://twitter.com/DrScottBishop?s=09

Would love to see his response to this

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11737-kelly-brogan-exposing-the-truth/

can you tweet him that ...I don't tweet I am lucky to type... can't do that so well. 

The idea he would heads up other docs would be something maybe worth the trip I don't live in Toronto... I don't have much energy for news docs either... 

Just figure if he is going to be Canada's only hit on this list he had better be good as he is going to be swamped. 

peace Mort

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Anyone in Australia that you guys can reccomend, I've seen youlanda but feel she's tapering method is way to fast . I really need some advice here.thanks

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

Anyone in Australia that you guys can reccomend, I've seen youlanda but feel she's tapering method is way to fast . I really need some advice here.thanks

Can you ask her to slow it down to a pace that is comfortable for you?  

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

The resources page of this website list this doctor in Ohio:

Jodie Skillicorn

Phone: 330-715-9282

Accepts Insurance: No

Address: 3610 West Market Street, #102

City: Fairlawn

Type of support offered: prescribing/tapering, supplements, mindfulness based psychotherapy, mind-body skills

Fairlawn is near Akron, which is not too far from Cleveland.

Pasted from <http://www.madinamerica.com/2015/01/antidepressant-induced-mania/

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone who lives in northern California who knows of a doctor who will prescribe clonazepam?

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I messaged mjk1970 because I also live in the Tampa, FL area and I'm looking for someone trustworthy and knowledgeable to work with for my taper. mjk1970 mention Dr. Kathleen Carroll and said she had a good experience, but it seemed from her comment that someone else had mentioned Dr. Carroll previously ... but I couldn't find any mention (but maybe I'm missing something)?

Why does FL healthcare / mental health seem to be so far behind the curve on things?

Also a general FYI. I recently got an email from Mad in America and they mentioned they were going to be republishing their provider referrals on their site. As I'm relatively new to all of this I didn't know that they apparently has this type of info published previously? Anywho thought I would pass along the info ...

My suggestions are not medical advice. They are my opinions based on my own experience, strength and hope.

You are in charge of your own medical / healing / recovery choices.

My success story |  My introduction thread

ZOLOFT FREE - COMPLETELY DRUG FREE 4/28/2019! - total time on 28+ years

BENZO FREE! 4/7/2018 - total time on 27+ years

REMERON FREE! 12/11/2016 - total time on 15 months

Caffeine & Nicotine Free 2014 / 2015 - smoked for 28 years

Alcohol Free 4/1/2014 - drank for 30 years

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy