Sonia009: Citalopram discontinuation/reinstatement

Sonia009

Hi again,

Two days ago I felt great, no headache, no dizziness, no nausea for a whole day. I thought I had turned the corner and then the following day and today, that muzzy head feeling again, almost like a migraine aura feeling. I wish I understood this better to make sense of it. 

Sending best wishes to all who are suffering.😊

2008 10 mg Citalopram, 2.5 mg bendroflumethiazide

2021 reduced Citalopram over three years,2023 5.2 mg Citalopram for approx. 1 year

Sept 2023 taken off Citalopram and bendroflumethiazide , put on Amitriptyline 10 mg and Ramipril 2.5 mg 

October 2023 taken off Amitriptyline and Ramipril put on Propranolol 10 mg

October 2023 put on Losartan 25 mg 

November 2023 taken off Losartan on Propranolol 10 mg 

December 2023 now on 2.5 mg bendroflumethiazide + Citalopram 0.5 mg.

February 2024, taken off bendroflumethiazide, on bisoprolol 1.25 mg

February 2024, taken off bisoprolol, on ramipril 1.25 mg + 0.5mg Citalopram, stopped ramipril.

Hi Sonia,

I have been having the same issues recently and that's how I found your posts.  I've been tapering after reinstating after a fast taper and while I haven't been cutting for 6 months, this dizziness/tinnitus had reared its head last week. Covid has contributed to it probably. If your GP can do blood tests to check for other things - levels of iron/vitamins/thyroid hormones etc that would be even better. 

I disagree with your GP that you should go up. 1) First off GPs don't understand or want to understand WD. For mild anxiety he should not be prescribing ADs be should refer you for CBT or other therapy. 2) going up and down can cause kindling and make things worse for a sensitive nervous system

3) as you get older you may need to get new drugs for other things. Citalopram impacts the heart and interacts with other drugs. Would you want to have that in the background? It's not a benign drug as you are discovering.

It's up to you but the risks of going back are significant. Ask him to refer you to counseling, it might be long before you get it but it might help with the anxiety. Can you get private counseling? On my phone I don't see your location but there are probably places that offer cheaper services if need be.

Hang in there

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Just now, Onmyway said:

Hi Sonia,

I have been having the same issues recently and that's how I found your posts.  I've been tapering after reinstating after a fast taper and while I haven't been cutting for 6 months, this dizziness/tinnitus had reared its head last week. Covid has contributed to it probably. If your GP can do blood tests to check for other things - levels of iron/vitamins/thyroid hormones etc that would be even better. 

I disagree with your GP that you should go up. 1) First off GPs don't understand or want to understand WD. For mild anxiety he should not be prescribing ADs be should refer you for CBT or other therapy. 2) going up and down can cause kindling and make things worse for a sensitive nervous system

3) as you get older you may need to get new drugs for other things. Citalopram impacts the heart and interacts with other drugs. Would you want to have that in the background? It's not a benign drug as you are discovering.

It's up to you but the risks of going back are significant. Ask him to refer you to counseling, it might be long before you get it but it might help with the anxiety. Can you get private counseling? On my phone I don't see your location but there are probably places that offer cheaper services if need be.

Hang in there

Also, you will get through this! :)

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Hi Onmyway

Thank you for replying to my post and your encouraging words. Sorry you are getting dizziness/tinnitus too, it's so debilitating.

My tinnitus doesn't really bother me that much, I think I've learnt to accept it, whether it contributes to the dizziness I'm not sure. ENT couldn't find anything wrong so I guess it must be the med causing it. Never had it prior to starting the med.

When I had my good day two days ago, it made me realise that I don't need to increase, just to stabilise for now. Later on it will be a much slower taper, lesson learnt there. 

I can't help but think that once I stabilise  and my symptoms have gone, so too will my anxiety. It only seems to be worse when I worry over my symptoms. For instance, two days ago, no symptons, no anxiety.

I really shouldn't have been put on them in the first place, my own fault there, I felt light headed driving to work one day, went to the doctor, was offered these meds so I took them. Didn't have a clue back then about these meds. How naive was I. I have always been a layed back type of person before all this messing around with withdrawal. I've had very stressful jobs before going on the med, I was in the police force and later I made use of my IT/Bus degree by doing some teaching. Never once did I feel overly anxious with a need for meds. I get so annoyed with myself for getting into this trap.

Bloods being done tomorrow.

Thank you for your kind wishes. I hope your dizziness/tinnitus passes soon.

2021 reduced Citalopram over three years,2023 5.2 mg Citalopram for approx. 1 year

Sept 2023 taken off Citalopram and bendroflumethiazide , put on Amitriptyline 10 mg and Ramipril 2.5 mg 

February 2024, taken off bisoprolol, on ramipril 1.25 mg + 0.5mg Citalopram, stopped ramipril.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sonia001: citalopram withdrawal

Hello,

Just dropping by to say my blood results were all within normal range. I was worried about potassium and sodium because I am taking diuretics but they were ok thankfully, potassium 3.5 (3.5-5.3) and sodium 142 (133-146). Special thank you to ChessieCat for promoting me to get this done, it does take a lot off my mind.

Still been getting headaches, dizziness, stiff neck but I'm hoping that I can relax a bit more now my blood tests are ok. I've ordered another scales because I don't think the one I've got is consistently accurate. Staying with 5mg because I did have a window several days ago. I just need to get back to some sort of normality to take pressure off my husband who has his own health issues.🙏

Best wishes to all who are recovering 😊

Hi everyone

I've been getting muzzy head feelings, usually wears off when I'm busy. Sunday was a relatively good day, I had to drive my car because my husband was taking strong painkillers for his shoulder problem and I felt ok Yesterday I started out with a muzzy head but had a lot to do and it passed.  I saw my daughter for the first time since lockdown which cheered me up. My BP was normal too, checking it three times a week. However, around  midnight I started getting slight dizzy feelings in bed which kept me awake until 4am, I started worrying and panicking and my heart rate increased and I became very tearful. This morning I seem to be ok again. I've been knitting for several hours a day andevenings during lockdown so not sure if this is contributing. I do have some neck arthritis too.

Also, I've noticed that my Citalopram tablets can vary slightly in weight, a few grams out. I'm trying to stick with 32 grams but some tablets can weigh 64-67 grams. Not sure if I should weigh each tablet first and then half it?

Any advice welcomed.Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Sonia001 said:

I started worrying and panicking and my heart rate increased and I became very tearful.

We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques.  It is very easy to get scared and then start to panic.  It's helpful to be able to recognise the signs of this happening and do some calming technique like deep breathing and self talk.  It does take effort and practise but it can be very helpful to stop yourself going into a full blown panic attack.

It helps to under the sensations in the body so that it is easier to recognise the signs.  The diagram on this page gives a description of what happens in the body.

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety.htm

These are also good to have hand and to use:

Female voice:  https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

Male voice:  https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicM.mp3

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/panic.htm

the-dr-claire-weekes-method-of-recovering-from-a-sensitized-nervous-system

non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms

I've been knitting for several hours a day andevenings during lockdown so not sure if this is contributing. I do have some neck arthritis too.

It could possibly be linked.  Make sure get up and do regular stretches.  Even if you have to set a timer as a reminder.  I've been gardening lately and I've generally be good at getting up and doing backward stretches.  But the last time I gardened I was so involved in what I was doing I think I only got up once in a 2 hour period.  I've learned my lesson.

Also, I've noticed that my Citalopram tablets can vary slightly in weight, a few grams out. I'm trying to stick with 32 grams but some tablets can weigh 64-67 grams. Not sure if I should weigh each tablet first and then half it?

I'll tag our pill weighing expert for this:  @brassmonkey    Thanks Brass.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you ChessieCat, I will take a look at all of those links, I had most of the symptoms last night in the diagram you sent. I have learned to do deep breathing and it does help. I have Dr Claire Weeks book, it"s great!

My ears are feeling full too, tickling sensation inside, white noise going on constantly. I've been to ENT 're this a couple of years ago but all appeared ok. I was messing around with doses back then.

I keep telling myself the dizziness is the reduction in serotonin and my brain is remodelling, as Gridley described. I have to believe that. I'm getting good moments too so that must mean something. Maybe my dose weighing is still not accurate enough. Looking forward to hearing brassmonkey's views on this.

Thanks for the tips on exercise, reducing the knitting from 5/6 hours a day to 1/2, it's so easy to get carried away with it lol. 

Thank you all for giving your precious time to help!

Hi Sonia-- it's very common for the tablets to vary by a few milligrams. Unless you are extremely sensitive to the medication the variation is not enough to be concerned about. The important thing is to be as consistent in your dose as possible. So if you are aiming for 32mg you should try to hit that as close as possible. When we try to cut a tablet in half, one side is always bigger than the other. This makes it best to weigh each half and try to adjust it to get as close to the target dose as possible. I try to think of the whole tablet as a "supply pile" and then just take the amount I need to get the dose I want.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you Brassmonkey, that's very reassuring to know. 

Kind regards

Sonia

On 5/28/2020 at 10:39 PM, Sonia001 said:

Hi sunnysideup69,

Oh I remember those crazy dreams , or should I say nightmares, when I started withdrawing. They stayed for a while with nightsweats, then went away for a while then started to come back a few weeks ago, just the dreams though not nightmares. Lately, I've measuring my dose and I have been getting the all too familiar increase/withdrawal effects plus the weird dreams that happen for me around 6am, before I wake up. Some nights I sleep good, other nights I don't get off until around 3am.  

My problem is also insomnia. Nowadays I just cannot sleep. I normally end up going to sleep at 5am or 6 am. Normally I go to sleep between 12 and 2 am. 

Nightmares aren't a problem. I do get dreams, which had disappeared when I started ADs. 

Since I am unemployed, my problem is lack of motivation and disinterest in getting a new source of income. This bothers me a lot. It is a vicious loop, the depression causing my disinterest, and the apathy worsening my depression.

2012- Citalopram 40- Axal 0.5mg  2017- Stopped Axal CT. No WD.

2017 - Effexor XR 75 mg.

For Epilepsy:1983 - Tegral 400 mg/day  2009 - Lumark 1000 mg/day- Biotim eyedrops for glaucoma.

27 April 2019 - Effexor XR taper started. 40 beads removed - 16% - 63mg20 May - 10% - 20 beads. 57mg / 3 June - 10% - 20 beads - 51mg / 18 July - 6% -10 beads - 48mg / 20 July - 7% -10 beads- 44.5mg/ 1 Sept - 75 mg alternate days = 37.5 mg/ 14 Sept - 75 mg every 3rd day = 25mg/  22 Sept - Effexor XR stopped.

27 Oct - Tegral = 300mg. Citalopram = 30 mg. Lumark = 500mg Busron = 10 mg. Somna = 2.5 mg

1-Jan 2020 Tegral 200mg BD- Citalopram 20mg OD- Lumark 500BD

25 Apr 2020 Tegral 200 mg BD- Citalopram alternate days 20 mg and 10 mg OD - Lumark 500BD

May June 2020 Dropped to 10 mg citalopram due to drug shortages.

Early July 2020: CT'ed citalopram - nonavailability of medicine. Tegral + Lumark remains same as before.

Hi Crashcourse,

I usually find if I have a lot swirling around in my mind it keeps me awake. It could be anything, something that happened that day, something someone said or something I plan to do even. I try to calm myself by doing some deep breathing whilst in bed, I sometimes listen to delta wave music or even keep my tv on low volume. Sometimes the sound of a fan helps, especially with the tinnitus. If none of this works I'll make myself a slice of toast as I find eating helps me to go back to sleep. It's not easy when my husband's sleep is worse than mine. He's got one of these fitbit watches that tells him out of his 6/7 hours rest he's a actually getting 1hour and 10 minutes of deep sleep. This has been happening the most part of his life and he hasn't any anxiety/depression issues.

I am trying to remain focussed. There are so many things I want to do and I am determined to do them. I'm not sure what your situation is with regard to withdrawal, but I've read so many horror stories here by so many brave people who are determined to see this through so that they can live their lives once more. Keep your spirit up, there's a huge world out there and you are part of it, it needs you, we will do this!

Hi everyone

I've been getting a lot of migraine headaches lately since weighing my 5mg citalopram dose. I'm assuming that by weighing, my dose has decreased slightly. Where I used to cut my tablet in half and always 

took the larger half, I am now taking a more consistent dose which is probably a lower dose. Could the reduction in serotonin be causing these headaches and if so, is there anything I can do to increase serotonin rather than increase my med? Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

If the only change you have made is weighing instead of cutting, ie you didn't make a reduction at the same time, then it might be that you have made a reduction as you said.  It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full strength in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Things to consider:

Q:  Have you accidentally skipped a dose?  Have you been taking your dose at about the same time of day?

Q:  What have you been doing with the smaller portion?  Have you been only taking the larger 1/2 and keeping the smaller 1/2 for later?

Q:  Have you suffered from headaches at other times, eg when you reduced in May 2019?

Q:  Have you suffered from headaches at other times unrelated to dose changes of citalopram?

Q:  Could it be linked to your monthly cycle?  Or are you in or approaching menopause?

Q:  Is there anything else that might be the cause of the headaches?  Examples:  relationship issues, stress, finances, work issues, change of routine (eg kids on holidays or visitors), sleeping in a different position (different pillow, different bed), not maintaining your usual sleep routine/pattern,  been eating different food (eg Chinese or other savoury things that contain MSG), have you been overstimulated by playing video games, watching scary or thriller movies, bright lights, loud music, being more physical than usual, been to a social gathering (when I went to my first social gathering after being in lockdown I had a terrible headache that afternoon, my friend had the same thing happen the next day).

When things worsen it is a good idea to be a detective and try to work out if there is something else which might have caused the issue, instead of automatically assuming that it is caused by withdrawal.

We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to get through the rough times.

You might try doing some gentle stretches and relaxation exercises.  Perhaps a nice warm bath.  You could add epsom salts (which is magnesium and is absorbed through the skin - try a small amount first).  Or try taking Magnesium throughout the day.  It's much better to try non drug coping techniques.  You could try Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation), or a gentle massage.

Probably the best thing is to continue weighing your dose like you are which will give you a more consistent dose, even if you have made a reduction and to hold.  You will probably find that symptoms caused by the reduction will gradually lessen.  It would be better to hold for at least 1 week (2 would be better) after you return to WDnormal before making another reduction.

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization

Remember to only make one change at a time otherwise it is difficult to know what is causing an issue if a problem arises. 

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Could the reduction in serotonin be causing these headaches and if so, is there anything I can do to increase serotonin rather than increase my med?

Please see this topic:  again-chemical-imbalance-is-a-myth-stop-the-lies-please

And:

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

This is something I posted somewhere else and then saved. I know it's all stuff I've said before, but it bears repeating and further discussion. A lot of people, including healthcare practitioners; in fact, I guess, most people-- are operating from entirely the wrong paradigm, or way of thinking, about these meds. They're thinking of them like aspirin--as something that has an effect when it's in your system, and then when it gets out of your system the effect goes away.

That's not what happens with medications that alter neurotransmitter function, we are learning. What happens when you change the chemistry of the brain is, the brain adjusts its chemistry and structure to try to return to homeostasis, or biochemical and functional balance. It tries to restabilize the chemistry. For example: SSRI antidepressants work as "serotonin reuptake inhibitors." That is, they cause serotonin to remain in the space between neurons, rather than being taken back up into the cells to be re-used, like it would be in a normal healthy nondrugged brain. So the brain, which wants to re-establish normal signaling and function, adapts to the higher level of serotonin between neurons (in the "synapse", the space between neurons where signals get passed along).

It does this by removing serotonin receptors, so that the signal is reduced and changed to something closer to normal. It also decreases the amount of serotonin it produces overall. To do that, genes have to be turned on and off; new proteins have to be made; whole cascades of chemical reactions have to be changed, which means turning on and off OTHER genes; cells are destroyed, new cells are made; in other words, a complex physiologic remodeling takes place. This takes place over time. The brain does not grow and change rapidly. This is a vast oversimplification of the amount of adaptation that takes place in the brain when we change its normal chemistry, but that's the principle.

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

With multiple drugs and a history of drug changes and cold turkeys, all of this becomes even more complicated. And if a person is started on these kinds of drugs at an early age before the brain has ever completely established normal mature functioning--well, it can't be good. (All of which is why I recommend an extremely slow taper particularly to anyone with a multiple drug history, a history of many years on meds, a history of past cold turkeys or frequent med changes, and a history of being put on drugs at a young age.)

This isn't intended to scare people, but hopefully to give you some idea of what's happening, and to help you respect and understand the process so you can work with it; ALSO, because you are likely to encounter many, many people who still believe these drugs work kind of like aspirin, or a glass of wine, and all you need to do is stop and get it out of your system. Now you can explain to them that no, getting it out of your system is not the issue; the issue is, you need to regrow or at least remodel your brain. This is a long, slow, very poorly understood process, and it needs to be respected.

Thanks ChessieCat for all of that information, such a lot to take in, I will read it over.

You have given me food for thought though and made me look at the wider picture.

I've always had migraines that can last for four days but they have become more frequent since reducing my dose. Lately, apart from weighing my dose which I think is a slight reduction for me, there are other possible reasons too.

I have been monitoring my blood pressure almost daily (which has been within normal range) but I have to do it for three weeks although not every day. Could this be something to do with it I wonder?

Also, my husband hasn't been well for a few weeks with a shoulder problem and digestive issues brought on by pain killers. He is also going through a medication change for his diabetes. My cat is old and not been himself, he has a heart problem, I adore him. My mother is in her late eighties, very demanding, and I have to take care of her shopping needs in lockdown. Living in lockdown hasn't helped either. I've also been doing more knitting than I should, several hours a day, could be causing eye strain. I constantly worry about my daughter who has worked all through lockdown. I worry about everything and being creative (knitting toys for charity) helps me take my mind off things. 

I too get headaches after social gatherings, funerals, family get togethers etc.

Sunday is a busy day for me as I cook for my mother and my husband and I do a 40 mile round trip to take her a couple of meals. I dread how I am going to feel that day and whether I will be able to cope. 

Thanks once again for your time and invaluable input, I will read over your posts carefully.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, mstimc said:

• Moderator Emeritus

You're very welcome.  It can be very easy to be so focused on the drug and possible issues that we can forget that there are other parts of our life that may be affecting us.  And of course weighing your dose was the most recent change you had made so you assumed it was that.  From what you have written it seems like it is probably a combination of things causing them.  It could be that the dose reduction didn't directly cause the headache/s but may have made you more susceptible to them.

12 minutes ago, Sonia001 said:

Living in lockdown hasn't helped either.

Since the beginning of the year we have members posting that they are experiencing unexpected and/or worse waves.  It has been such a strange year that I doubt there would be anyone, or at least very few people, who haven't been affected in some way by it.  I spoke to a young man in Bunnings (hardware/plants/handperson) recently and asked how he had been affected by it.  He said that the staff had been busier and working more but that his job hadn't been affected and didn't notice a difference.  It was when he went out to do his own shopping in different places that he was affected and it surprised him how different it was.

I don't mind my own company but found it very difficult not be able to go out for drives, which I really enjoy.  To overcome this and do it "legally" I bought some joggers online and picked them up in store instead of having the mailed.  The first time I went over to collect them they were shut.  They had reduced their opening hours after I had rung them.  At first I was a bit miffed by it, but when I got back to the car I realised that I would have to go back again the next week and was excited that I was going to get to go a second time.  Thankfully the location was somewhere that I could go a different route each time so it didn't get boring.  Then I was fortunate that they lifted the restrictions and I was able to go for another outing.  My brain was getting bored and I found that the trip that I went on had lots of bends so needed me to concentrate.  I really enjoyed it.

You might be finding that because you are a bit more stressed, when you are knitting you may not be as relaxed as you have previously been.

Sounds like it's time to be doing some self care and some relaxation and stretching throughout the day.  Set a reminder so you don't forget.

Thanks ChessieCat, your experience with your joggers brought a smile to my face. It sounded a bit like my husband who thinks of all sorts of reasons to go out in the car. His latest expedition was to visit a tile centre for tiles for our bathroom only to be told on arrival that it was appointment only lol. Still, there's always the cat litter and cat food to fetch or popping to the supermarket for the odd banana.

You are right, I am feeling stressed and I knit like there's no tomorrow. 

Take care x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm still on 5mg Citalopram and about a month into weighing my dose more accuratley. Still getting withdrawal symptoms (more so since weighing my dose), just generally feeling unwell, lightheaded, nausea, intrusive thoughts, poor sleep, either eating too much or too little. I get the occasional better day too. I'm 5 days in on amoxicillin  500mgs 3xday for a gum infection. Every time I take one I get light headed which sets my anxiety off and I start to panic, heart racing, mind everywhere etc. It makes me wonder if I am ever going to cope when I come off Citalopram completely. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Sending best wishes to everyone.

17 minutes ago, Sonia001 said:

Every time I take one I get light headed which sets my anxiety off and I start to panic, heart racing, mind everywhere etc.

These are all common side effects of amoxicillin and should settle out when you stop taking it. It will then take a few days for you body to stabilize back to where you were.

Making the change to the more accurate weighed dose may take a bit longer than a month to stabilize, I would give it a bit more time.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you for replying so promptly Brassmonkey and for giving me the reassurance I need right now. I knew 500 mgs would be too strong for me from past experience but it was a telephone chat with GP receptionist and I forgot to request a lower dose, I was just grateful for getting a precription. Had they been tablets I'd have halved them but they are capsules. Only 4 more left to take. Lightheadedness makes me panic more than anything else.

Kind regards

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd post with an update. Antibiotics finished which left me with an abdominal upset for a couple of days, headaches, muzzy heavy head feeling. I seem to be more on edge too, the slightest noise makes me jump like a scary cat. These symptoms are familiar though having taken antibiotics before whilst on citalopram. Still on reduced dose weighing 0.032 grams equating to 5 mg citalopram. Seems to e taking for ever to stabilise but too much going on in the world right now which is having some effect for sure.

My thoughts are with everyone here on this horrendous journey. 🙏

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just read a news headline on the BBC website that NICE is recommending the use of antidepressants for the relief of unexplained regular pain instead of paracetamol and ibuprofen which they claim is of no use for such pain. I couldn"t believe what I was reading. I know that citalopram has an analgesic effect, not sure about the others, but the thought of people taking antidepressants instead of paracetamol is a scary one. The other day the publicity was on the horrific withdrawal symptoms of antidepressants. Has the world gone mad?

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Sonia001 said:

Has the world gone mad?

I understand : here in France, media are talking about a possible preventive effect of AD's on the Coronavirus....sounds like Big Pharma is smelling an opportunity !

Yes maybe the world is going mad, but our jobs as survivors is to take care of ourselves : I stopped listening to the news and focus on my health ;)

Take care ❤️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

On 6/22/2020 at 7:10 PM, Onmyway said:

Hi Sonia,

Hang in there

Hi Onmyway,

How is your dizziness, tinnitus now, any improvement?

Since taking my antibiotics a couple of weeks ago, Amoxycillin 500mg, my anxiety has been worse, tinnitus worse, crazy thoughts, headaches. I think it's the antibiotics/Citalopram combo, they were stronger than ones I've previously taken.

Hope you're doing ok!

On 7/2/2020 at 8:25 AM, crashcourse said:

My problem is also insomnia. Nowadays I just cannot sleep. I normally end up going to sleep at 5am or 6 am. Normally I go to sleep between 12 and 2 am. 

Nightmares aren't a problem. I do get dreams, which had disappeared when I started ADs. 

Since I am unemployed, my problem is lack of motivation and disinterest in getting a new source of income. This bothers me a lot. It is a vicious loop, the depression causing my disinterest, and the apathy worsening my depression.

Hi Crashcourse,

How is your sleep now? Any improvement?

Mine is up and down, been reasonably good for two nights but getting weird dreams. I bought magnesium oil so going to try rubbing that in before bedtime to see if it helps.

Best wishes.

13 hours ago, Erell said:

I understand : here in France, media are talking about a possible preventive effect of AD's on the Coronavirus....sounds like Big Pharma is smelling an opportunity !

Yes maybe the world is going mad, but our jobs as survivors is to take care of ourselves : I stopped listening to the news and focus on my health ;)

Take care ❤️

Hi Erell,

Yes I agree about not listening to the news, I look it up on the internet and just read what I want to. That's how I came across this headline. I can't bear to watch a full tv news channel or anything sad or cruel. I suppose I'm like an ostrich but, like you, focussing on health is more important right now. 

Take care!

• Mentor
21 hours ago, Sonia001 said:

Just read a news headline on the BBC website that NICE is recommending the use of antidepressants for the relief of unexplained regular pain instead of paracetamol and ibuprofen which they claim is of no use for such pain. I couldn"t believe what I was reading.

OMG saw that article also. Guess big pharma is on a roll these days. Just really sad isn’t it.

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg 1.8 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

19 hours ago, Sonia001 said:

Hi Crashcourse,

How is your sleep now? Any improvement?

Mine is up and down, been reasonably good for two nights but getting weird dreams. I bought magnesium oil so going to try rubbing that in before bedtime to see if it helps.

Best wishes.

Hello Sonia,

About 3 weeks ago I started Soma 2mg (melatonin) couple hours before sleep. That has done wonders for my sleep. I am now back to sleeping at normal hours, and even more important my sleep quality has improved. So I am getting up in the morning relaxed. This has had a major improvement on my mood and general life. I am not feeling as grumpy as before. I do go through self-doubts and loss of confidence, and am not rearing at the chomp, but just feel good enough to live through a day in ore comfort than before.

A few days ago I stopped taking Soma altogether, once my sleep pattern was adjusted. So now I am Soma-free, and my sleep is fine. The insomnia is gone.

I do need to add: Perforce I had to give up citalopram, since it wasn't available due to production shortages, linked to COVID. So for the past few weeks I have basically gone CT. I was and am worried how this would effect me. So far I am okay. Nothing major to report. This is good. But I will be observing the effects of the CT over the coming weeks.

Best.

2012- Citalopram 40- Axal 0.5mg  2017- Stopped Axal CT. No WD.

2017 - Effexor XR 75 mg.

For Epilepsy:1983 - Tegral 400 mg/day  2009 - Lumark 1000 mg/day- Biotim eyedrops for glaucoma.

27 April 2019 - Effexor XR taper started. 40 beads removed - 16% - 63mg20 May - 10% - 20 beads. 57mg / 3 June - 10% - 20 beads - 51mg / 18 July - 6% -10 beads - 48mg / 20 July - 7% -10 beads- 44.5mg/ 1 Sept - 75 mg alternate days = 37.5 mg/ 14 Sept - 75 mg every 3rd day = 25mg/  22 Sept - Effexor XR stopped.

27 Oct - Tegral = 300mg. Citalopram = 30 mg. Lumark = 500mg Busron = 10 mg. Somna = 2.5 mg

1-Jan 2020 Tegral 200mg BD- Citalopram 20mg OD- Lumark 500BD

25 Apr 2020 Tegral 200 mg BD- Citalopram alternate days 20 mg and 10 mg OD - Lumark 500BD

May June 2020 Dropped to 10 mg citalopram due to drug shortages.

Early July 2020: CT'ed citalopram - nonavailability of medicine. Tegral + Lumark remains same as before.

Hey @Sonia001, thanks for dropping by my thread. 

Yes, I'm still having crazy dreams. Sometimes they border on being nightmares...very weird. Are you still on the Citalopram at 5mg? Have just checked your signature and it seems you are.....the weird dreaming is so strange.

I still tend to wake quite a lot, although I do go back to sleep.

You mentioned having a dodgy stomach....strange because I've had that for a week or so, now. Went away but then came back again. Think it may be a bug, though, in my case. Kind of painful lower guts...

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

17 hours ago, Hanna72 said:

OMG saw that article also. Guess big pharma is on a roll these days. Just really sad isn’t it.

Hello Hannah,

Yes it is sad, to think that some people may read this recommendation thinking it is a quick fix completely unaware of the life changing start up effects and withdrawal effects.

Hello Crashcourse,

It's encouraging to read your post, you sound full of enthusiasm. I'm so pleased you found a solution for your sleep problem, what a relief that must be. I hope you continue to improve now that you have stopped Citalopram all together, you say three weeks so far and no withdrawal effects, that's amazing. I think having good rest is bound to have a positive effect on your mood and well being and will no doubt help you get back to full recovery. My best wishes to you.

Hello Sunnyside

Yes, weird dreams seem to have returned since I started weighing my dose (5mg), probably the slight adjustment. I'm not getting the horror ones I once had though, thank goodness. My upset stomach started a few days after finishing my antibiotics so I'm not sure if they were the cause of that. Antibiotics and citalopram have always given me problems, one of the reasons I'm coming off citalopram. Still getting some occasional abdominal discomfort and cramping pains. I have read so many people talk about random pains in withdrawal though so I am not too worried. It's strange but my cousin came down with the same stomach/abdominal issues the same time as me, could be a bug going around??

Sending best wishes, take care.

Hi there,

This evening I took my 5mg Citalopram and about 15 minutes later felt a little dizzy and later developed a headache. I checked my medication and it seems I have been taking a couple of different brands although the packaging is almost identical, Noumed and Medreich As I have been on a reduced dose I have several packets of the two different brands and if seems I have been taken both over the past 11 months. I had a problem when the pharmacy stopped giving me Accord brand, I definitely noticed a difference when it was replaced with Noumed brand. The one I took this evening is Medreich. Could this be why it is taking me so long to stabilise on 5mg? Thanks for reading.

Hi,

So, today I got yet another brand of Citalopram - Sovereign. All my tablets seem to vary in weight my, doses must be slightly different each time. Even tablets of the same brand vary in weight.😡

• Administrator

Sonia, have you tried liquid citalopram?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.