LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

And I do need to change something as I'm living in my parents bnb with noisy guests which will just get worse during summer..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Shove good food in your body to help rebuild your CNS. I'm currently looking for something nutritious to eat hanging off my bathrobe. At least I know it's safe since I ate it yesterday without going paradoxical. BwaaHawww!

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Hahah eww..to sum up lol I feel like I layabout and have done for yrs..but it not like I'm enjoying it..i f!!!!ng hate it but cannot see a way out and I dunno if there is something wrong with me or is it all down to the meds and this will pass or it is me??and it won't pass or I'll never change.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

We're all ruminating like this. We will get better. If you never felt this bad before the meds, it's the meds. And if it's the meds, it will go away eventually. Its the EVENTUALLY that's killing us. We can't see the end in sight. Nobody can give us a "how much longer" time frame so FOREVER is the surreality we live in. Days? Weeks? Months? Years? It's all cr*p.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

(Handing Jo my crystal ball.) Sorry about the snot on it. Use your sleeve. Maybe you can see something I missed.

If you never felt this bad before the meds, it's the meds. And if it's the meds, it will go away eventually. It's all cr*p.

That's what I don't know..I cannot remember, but is also had different circumstances then. That was at least 13 yrs ago.

Looking back, I'll bet you never felt THIS kind of bad. Trust me. You'd remember.

I think I did actually..but I still managed to keep a job, live somewhat a life but I lost it all through the years of getting worse, withdrawals etc.

Well, take heart that this is the last time you'll ever have to feel like this.

No I'm worried that I won't work again or ever getting anything together while still feeling like this. But no-one can help with that and I just don't know what to do..was there instructions given out at the start of life? I didn't receive them.

Just remember there's nothing mentally or physically defective in you. You are built perfectly and you will get to homeostasis eventually. Then you will figure out new ways to deal with life's stressors, rather than reaching for a pill, because you now know that no such magic bullet exists.

Yes I surely do know that now x

I love you, Jo. You are a good person, compassionate and caring. The encouragement you give to others on this forum is beautiful and it's a testament to who you are inside and to the happiness and joy you deserve.

Aww thanks :) and you! And that humour is amazing esp with what your going through x

Muddles is having it rough too. Lord help us!

I love you, Jo. You are a good person, compassionate and caring. The encouragement you give to others on this forum is beautiful and it's a testament to who you are inside and to the happiness and joy you deserve.

DITTO!!!

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Thanks Alex! Hope your wave passes soon.

Nearly 4 months since I reinstated and still not stable? Tried fish oil again (made me anxious before) and magnesium (v depressed before) and it had the exact same effect. The worst anxiety for awhile today, inner restlessness feeling like I just want to explode! With what I don't know so yuck. I still managed to go for a walk, swim and throughout it was so angry, paranoid I think everyone who met me kept a wide berth.

I was feeling so awful but went to tai chi and met so many welcoming and kind people there that I nearly cried.

But yeah 4 months and still not stable..getting worried.

Hi Joannad, thank you for posting on my thread. I'm sorry you still don't feel stable. This seems like a forever kind of disability. Pugknows described exactly what this feels like : 

We're all ruminating like this. We will get better. If you never felt this bad before the meds, it's the meds. And if it's the meds, it will go away eventually. Its the EVENTUALLY that's killing us. We can't see the end in sight. Nobody can give us a "how much longer" time frame so FOREVER is the surreality we live in. Days? Weeks? Months? Years? It's all cr*p.

It is scary not to know how long this will go on. In my case (which I think is similar to yours), I did have depression before the meds but the depression felt different, it was emotional, it had to do with life circumstances and being a highly sensitive person. But after meds, depression is hell, it's unnatural, it's mental as well as physical, it causes so many other symptoms than the "original" depression. 

From what I've read you've had some windows, and being able to swim and go to tai chi is great progress too. 

Hugs

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

I'm still wondering if I should be going up or down dose and then holding there..down in case the reinstatement was too activating or up..but I don't want to be going up..and if I've been having windows something must be going in the right direction?

I'm still horrified at what I've done to myself..for years skipping doses as I didn't think that they were doing much good..and about 7-8 years of rapid tapering (weeks) and CT by doctor of all people and then reinstating at huge doses.

Thanks ((CDAV))

I'm still wondering if I should be going up or down dose and then holding there..down in case the reinstatement was too activating or up..but I don't want to be going up..and if I've been having windows something must be going in the right direction?

I'm still horrified at what I've done to myself..for years skipping doses as I didn't think that they were doing much good..and about 7-8 years of rapid tapering (weeks) and CT by doctor of all people and then reinstating at huge doses.

Thanks ((CDAV))

I don't think you should go up or down. I think you should hold for another couple of weeks. Then a micro-cut. 2.5% maybe. Just my opinion.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thanks Jdm..x

I agree with JDM, Jo. Hold for a little while longer, then micro cut. What's the worst that could happen? (I can't believe I just said that.) Can you live the way you currently feel awhile longer? Do you feel bad enough to try a micro cut now to see what happens? Maybe your dose is too high for you. Have you PM'd a mod? I wish I could help, but I didn't taper and I have no idea about reinstatement either. JDM's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Bottom line nobody knows what will happen if you try something different. I've seen it go better and sometimes worse for people on this forum. If you down dose a bit, you can always go back up to where you are now, but I've never done it. Wait for a mod to come by first. Remember this: You can go to Tai Chi, you take walks, you can go grocery shopping now. I'm bedridden, for the most part. When I have to go to the store for groceries, I SHOULD keep my flashers on! And I hyperventilate the whole time I'm out in the world. I'm TOTALLY dysfunctional. Are you this bad? If not, hold. If you ARE this bad, maybe it is time to try something.

Thanks pug..I think I know what could happen! I am not that bad, I know, I'm sorry to complain..when plagued with suicidal thoughts and feelings and agitation that I cannot make it..it does seem bad.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he knows some of what I'm going through. He said he suffered for about 4 years with agoraphobia (couldn't even open the front door), didn't see anyone hardly, psychosis, the morning dread we talk about here, scared of everything etc..very bad..and was on about 6 different meds..he was suicidal..and ready to give up..so just stopped the meds..to the surprise of the psychiatrist he is much better now. He said he thought things would never get better..but you never know when you might turn that corner.

Wishing you healing, pug x

I'm no help with going up or down, but I'm definity right in there with you wondering how long this is going to last.

Hoping you feel better soon!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Thank luv2 and to you x

Your friend's experience gives us all hope.

I can so relate to that dread of getting through another day in this condition. I just made a cut to my Zoloft 3 days ago and have been very emotional and irritable. I think I should probably just hold here for a while now. It's encouraging to hear about your friend though, thank you. I am trying to remember to pray constantly because it seems to be the only thing that makes me feel a little better. It's the only way I can seem to stop the subconscious worry that I will be this way forever - even if only momentarily, it's a bit of relief. My husband bought me a new car yesterday, and as appreciative as I am, I seem unable to summon any genuine enthusiasm or excitement. Instead, I see $$ flying out the window and feel depressed that cars are so stupid expensive these days! I have NEVER not been excited about a new car, it's just weird and discouraging. So again, thank you for sharing your friend's story, I need that encouragement!

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Your welcome but I did not meant to advocate 'just come off meds)). Although this worked for him, we know how it could have been.

Things are getting worse. Terribly depressed, anxious, agitated and raging all at the same time. I just can't see a future. I've been unemployed for years and desperately depressed for years. The 'windows' that I had I don't think were/are my normal state..too good to be my normal state. I'm not sure if this is a form of akathisia but I desperately want to run away, get away from here..it seems like from bad memories, memories of being ill and depressed here but there is a inner urge to just run. I've been doing that for years (through WD) and too hyper anxious to care about the consequences. I just can't see a future like this and I'm sick of burdening people around me for years. Sorry for such a negative post but if I ever do recover (be ever free from depression) as it feels like I've been dealing with this most of my life then I would want other people to see that it's possible.

Other times when in WD (not knowing what was happening), I always had the crutch of going back to the doctor but I refuse to this time.

And I scared that this is it..who I am is depressed and angry and cannot function in this world.

A few things happened with the dose and supplement this week. For a few days this week, I was unable to get my normal tablets - the brand I had to use, even with a pill crusher, still didn't disolve well. So I have no idea what the actual dose was. I then switched to sertaline suspension two days ago and had to make a 0.06 drop as I have no syringe that measures this..I need to find out if I can disolve the suspension to get the dose but I will probably stay where I am now anyway. Out of desperation, I took fish oil and magnesium also two nights ago, neither of them produced good reductions before and not this time either it looks like. Also, caffeinated coffee one morning this week which was totally stupid.

What a horrible feeling..as I've been mentioned before, as I've been on these so long and unwell so long, I have no idea who I am at all, I just hope it is someone better than this.

It is possible one of the mods could change my profile name to: LoveandLight. I can't imagine being further away from that but I'd rather my name not on here. Thanks v much!

I'm so sorry you are going through the wringer as well :(

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)