LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

Thank you Selma x

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Glad to read youre having a break from those awful symptoms, about time, you deserve a let up.!

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

Thank you Simon :) I'm still having lots to cope with but not having a suicidal day for more than a week feels huge!

Hope your alright.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Hi Joannad thank you for stopping by my thread, I'm so scared, feeling like I'll never be normal. I hope your doing well.

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

Thank you skyler. I am so sorry that it's awful for you.

I hope things get a bit easier soon.

Xx

• Moderator Emeritus

I just read that you are going to try a small cut, I'm glad you feel well enough now to try this.  I will be thinking of you and wish you luck, please keep us updated as to how it goes.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks, Petu.

Thinking of you and will keep you in thoughts and prayers, especially during your cut.

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

Thank you and you in mine

So the last couple of days had hopeless feeling, lethargic, heavy feeling..ok depression but I don't want to call it that. It feels like what I was dealing with since childhood and everyday was a struggle. I don't think this is withdrawal anymore.

Whats with the windows then? What exactly is that if I just go back to normal.

Felt like I was back to my usual 'depressed self today but withdrawal early evening. Dunno whats going on.

I hope your taper goes well.

When did you start? A couple days ago right?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thanks

Yesterday!

How much did u cut?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

5percent

Feeling pretty awful now that I feel that I've uncovered what I think is original depression that I had in childhood..but I'm also experiencing a lot of fear, inability to think clearly, depersonalisation..so I don't know whats going on.

Awful depression still don't know if this is withdrawal or my eon state. Soo scared.

• Moderator Emeritus

Joannad,

I think this is all too much of a coincidence to not be withdrawal. You make a cut and then get hit with these symptoms. You need to keep telling yourself it's withdrawal and will pass. Investing in the idea that depression is an inherent part of you and will rise up as you come off is not helpful. I read your signature and see a history of depression around medication changes

Be gentle with yourself, sooth and nourish yourself, detach from your fears and be patient. This will pass

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks Dalsaan,

It's more of a chronic depression I've dealt with with suicidal depression coming up as I fast taper or ct. but either way, it is not an option to updose I feel as it makes me agitated and I cannot function like that either. I just hope if this is my original depression, I find something to help.

It's WD. You just made a cut. Keep reminding yourself what it is...waves. Hang in there. :)

Ok thanks for the reminder x

Joannad,

Just a few days ago you were all excited to resume tapering and now you are very down in the dumps with all of these fears about an 'original condition'. You have to remember that you are still in wd and will be for a long time to come. Some days it will be ok and some days not. When it is not, you will have to remind yourself that it is not the return of any 'depression' as such, it is the neuro emotions we experience throughout this.

I suggest that when you feel this way that you read back through your thread and see how your mood fluctuates. Better yet, if you know how to use a spreadsheet (or you can just do a rough graph on a piece of paper) you can start with your first post and assign it a number that reflects the 'mood' of the post. Keep going and get a graph and I bet you will find a lot of fluctuation regardless of where you are in your drug taper. So there is the taper and there is also the fluctuation of mood and reactions to daily circumstances. The trick is to ride with the flow and expect that things will always be changing. What will happen over time, though, is that the neuro emotions will start to subside. We will all (and are) learning to cope with life without resorting to pills to artificially change our moods for we see where that got us, right?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

There is a pic of a kitty on my page just for you J!! Xo :)

Ok thanks for the reminder x

You are welcome. CW mentioned keeping track of symptoms. It helps. I keep daily notes. It has helped me see patterns that I never would have recognized. You might wanna give it a shot.

Yeah I do keep notes.

I can see me having to stay at this dose forever. If this is what it's going to be like every time I make a cut I'm not going to be able to hack it. Or I will have to be very stable before I make another but I don't know if I will be stable on this drug. Feeling a bit daft that I was excited about making a cut.

Thanks CW.

I can see me having to stay at this dose forever.

Now that's odd, I can see you becoming stable at that dose after a period of time and then making another small cautious cut and waiting, and then doing it again and waiting, until you are finally off the drug.

If this is what it's going to be like every time I make a cut I'm not going to be able to hack it.

No, this is ONLY what you are seeing now. You aren't taking into consideration your body's efforts to heal in the meantime. Those processes are going on 24/7 and are below the level of your awareness. What you are forgetting is that that is the nature of how the body adjusts. It is not linear, it is not wonderful, it is what it is. You have no idea what it was like, not having anything to cushion withdrawal from the meds. I 'hacked it', Petu is hacking it, there are many who have gone before you that have hacked it and are here to support you. We are here to help you to stay a course that has worked, in some form or another, for many many people to get off these powerful drugs as safely as they can.

I don't know if I will be stable on this drug.

No you don't and neither will we until you get there. Baby steps, ok? That is why I suggested 5%. You could try 2% next time and do what is called a 'micro taper'. What that does is sort of sneak the drug away from your body so slowly and imperceptibly that it doesn't even hardly register it. But it takes great patience to do this. Patience is something that everyone has to cultivate as we are not born with it. You can do it!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Thank you CW for your post.

I do doubt my strength really and I still doubt that once I come off completely that I won't be left with depression that has been with me all my life, it feels like. To be depressed feels almost like part of my character and something to be very ashamed about. (As taught) . Which makes the extreme depression as in now the harder to deal with. On top of constant flashback of memories. I also feel that I'm sorely lacking in life/coping skills that would have developed naturally if I'd hadn't been on meds. I was reminded of this on Wednesday by not managing even a volunteer job without paranoia and anxiety ( the day after cut) which I wonder if this also threw me into this wave. Anyway, babbling. I appreciate your time and support.

And, yes when it comes to tapering it probably will be a micro taper.

Hey, wanna read about MY volunteer job? (It's in my thread, last summer). It happens to all of us.

The thing is, this is not the time to be worrying about 'how you will cope'. You have no idea about 'who' you will be when you get off the meds. You are still operating under mistaken information about the nature of 'depression'. Table that until you have been off the meds for a long time. Trust me, you will find out something completely different about yourself. WD 'depression' is not the real thing and your recovery will teach you to question a lot of the bunk we have been fed about 'it'.

We are our own worst enemies until we take ourselves in hand and get a grip on that kind of defeatist thinking.

I will have a look at your thread CW.

Thanks for your reply and support.

I hope this makes you smile. :)

It's a cat chasing a duckling on one of those robotic vaccumms. Haha

I hope it cheers u up, even just for a minute.

Haha thanks.

Hope your ok xx

Haha thanks.

Hope your ok xx

I don't know what I am, hard to tell, been messed up for so long. :( but I'm spending time looking at animals, that makes me smile. Lol

Yeah me too. Seems to be the only thing that is ok. Xx

Just saying hello x

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Just an update for my own records also. I was surprised at the force of the symptoms after only a 5% drop. Anxiety, paranoia the day after the drop then depression, heaviness and then two days of almost being knocked out by the physical flu like symptoms, head pressure, inability to tolerate noise, overwhelming depression. Last two days, fatigue, can't even go for my usual walk. Morning cortisol? wake up with suicidal thoughts and dread. Very bad rage the last few days has abated now. And frustration at this situation. Adhenoia, cannot think clearly.

I'm sorry about your symptoms after your last drop, Joannad, thank you for posting on my thread. 

We have to hang in there. At least we've having some windows once in a while. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline.