LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

I know what you mean by being between a rock and a hard place. When I think back on it I have been having anxiety/depression issues since I was 14 but just didn't know what it was or how to identify it at the time. I wonder now how my life would be if I had never gone on ADs in the first place, but as depressive episodes seem to become more severe in both intensity and frequency as we get older, I'm guessing that I would have ended up on them at some point. Point is I'm pretty sure I'd be worse off without them but there's no way to be sure until I've tried it and that scares the crap out of me.

Started zoloft 100 mg in 2001

Went off cold turkey in 2005, reinstated several months later

Reduced to 75 mg on Nov. 9, 2013

Reduced to 50 mg on Jan. 1, 2014

Reduced to 25 mg zoloft + 10 mg prozac on April 29, 2014

Reduced to 12.5 mg zoloft + 10 mg prozac on May 6, 2014

Reduced to 10 mg prozac on May 14, 2014

Went to 5 mg prozac + 12.5 mg zoloft on Nov. 10, 2014

Went to 25 mg zoloft on Nov. 17, 2014

Went to 50 mg zoloft on Jan. 8, 2015

Dropping by to send thoughts.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Yes coming off them scares the crap out of me too! But I, for one wish that I'd never gone on them. Things were bad but never this bad. But maybe after all this, we will be able to cope with natural anxiety, depression.

Yes, the pure terror has abated a bit, JM, thank you but other stuff is now here to take its place.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thank you, winning through. Xx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

I wish that I had gone up to 25mg after I had only been off totally for three days. I had only been at 12.5mg for a week previously.

Yes coming off them scares the crap out of me too! But I, for one wish that I'd never gone on them. Things were bad but never this bad. But maybe after all this, we will be able to cope with natural anxiety, depression.

Yes, the pure terror has abated a bit, JM, thank you but other stuff is now here to take its place.

I hate that! One thing goes and something just as fun shows up. :( I'm sorry. Ya know, I hate when it just swarms like bees. Like it come outta nowhere. That's the way it goes for me.

And after this, normal depression and anxiety seems like a trip to Disney World. We will all be able to cope with almost anything.

And we will have a section in a medical book someday, probably when we are very old. We will be the group of people who suffered silently in psychiatric hell. People will wonder 50 years from now, how the hell we did it. Just like looking back to The Depression era, and people living in tents and eating from cans or living on dirt farms in clapboard houses. I look back and often think, how did they do that? They were given no choice, and neither are we. You learn to endure I guess when forced.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Fighting through this - is just resistance it feels? Give up and give in to the feelings (not suicidal) or keep fighting - what feels like resistance and more pain.

It's very frustrating to be doing all the right things and doesn't feel like it's helping or even enjoying anything, like a walk. But the alternative is not doing those things.

Do them anyways. Soon, you will feel differently. :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's very frustrating to be doing all the right things and doesn't feel like it's helping or even enjoying anything, like a walk. But the alternative is not doing those things.

As long as doing things isn't making you feel worse, keep going, eventually you will start to feel better.  How are you?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you for asking. Particularly bad at the moment. I'm coming away from this site for a bit, it's needed, I think.

Thank you and best wishes to you all x

Thank you for asking. Particularly bad at the moment. I'm coming away from this site for a bit, it's needed, I think.

Thank you and best wishes to you all x

I agree, we all need a break. Whatever helps you, do it.

Hope u find a bit of peace.... Will be thinking about you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Take care Joanna, we all need to step back a bit sometimes. I hope you get a nice clear window before you go down South. x

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you but I wasn't away long..

Had a huge panic attack an hr ago and ended up screaming uncontrollably. Embaressingly, my parents had guests in. Never happened before where I'm screaming and totally lose control. Has this happened to anyone else?

Just before it, I was confused, dp/dr, vibrating feeling, horror feeling and a big surge of terror.

I also wonder if I'm having fits..a few times when lying down, my whole body will shake violently..

I'm so sorry :( I have not had that, I have had panic attacks where I'm running around the house hyperventilating. It's awful.

I'm so sorry.

Hugs

Has this jot happened to anyone else? Wow I feel stupid and ridiculous.

I'm so sorry you feel so bad Joanna. Sending a hug.

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - med free

Thank you JM.

Thank you, winning through, how are you?

So, so confused.

Joanna I don't know if it helps..you said when you lie down your whole body shakes and wondered if anyone else had this. At one stage I used to shake so much. I had a terrible tremor for a while. It did get better. I often shake when I lie down. I get internal shaking but it feel like my whole bed is shaking.

I'm, er, not so good as I was.

29 June 2014 - med free

No, I wondered if anyone had the panic attacks with uncontrollable screaming..

The shaking is both internal most of the time but when the big shaking jerking happens, it is visible.

Sorry your not so good..omg.. My friend was saying, let's choose an easier life the next time round, I just wonder if somehow this is our life path, like pre-chosen..dunno..ramble, ramble..

<3

Oh yes.. The screaming, I've had that so often. And my life since the drugs has been one long uncontrollable panic attack!

I've often said I'm going to choose an easier life next time around!!

We will get through this.

29 June 2014 - med free

Oh and I did have myoclonic jerks for a while. My body would just suddenly jerk.

29 June 2014 - med free

In front of people, the screaming?

I've screamed in front of my boyfriend.

Please try not to beat yourself up about this. It's not your fault. It's all part of this horrible chemical chaos caused by these drugs. I really wish you didn't have to go through this. It will get easier.

I'm thinking of you. I so hope you get a window soon.

29 June 2014 - med free

Joannad, if it helps I scream so loudly the police was sent to our house once.....

Now the neighbours just go along with it I think. Yelling and screaming yesterday too.

Hope this is over soon. Xox

Nov2103-feb2014 1mg lorazepam cold turkey
Feb-march promethazine
Feb-march dekapote
March-april st. Johns wort
April-may dekapote

Nov single dose of low dose Antipsychotic

11 Months of pure Hell 

Joannad, if it helps I scream so loudly the police was sent to our house once.....

Now the neighbours just go along with it I think. Yelling and screaming yesterday too.

Hope this is over soon. Xox

Lol this made me laugh

Lol JDM what are you like

What am I like?

Storming through the house hyperventilating while sobbing and throwing myself in the floor. Complaining about how none of this is fair. Not being able to sleep and getting up in the middle of the night and beating the wall with my pillow.

There is a lot of throwing myself on the floor in a heap to snot all over my pajamas. :(

I've also screamed at several people in public, it was over the summer.

very embarrassing.

Dear J,

Not having a good day today. Thanks for asking.

Hope your day is good!

T

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Lol JDM what are you like

Did I answer that right?

Hug ((tgirl)).

No JDM lol! Although you can say what your like, if you like. God I'm confused lol.

I'm confused lol

After the day from hell on the 23rd have been in a window since the 24th..I feel happy, clear, calm mind (restless at night and a slight sleep probs) BUT I also wonder if this feeling is also false just like a wave would be, as I never felt like this before I went on the meds.

Fantastic!!!! Happy for u

Aww thank you but I do wonder if this is some artificial euphoria