LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

But I think the horror is compounded by the 'horror' feeling present during a wave. Urgh.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Your 20's sound like my 30's. Now in my early 40's with 3 kids to raise and scared to death I will have to exist like this through my 40's too. Horror describes it accurately.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

So sorry..sounds like your doing amazing looking after kids as well. Just because a whole decade feels like it has been wiped it doesn't mean that it will be the same the next decade..that scares me too that I will be going through this for the same amount of time I've been in hell for already..but it may not be this way..we have knowledge now.. peace for all on here <3

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Ramble..ramble

I know this sounds strange but suicidal thoughts have been coming thick and fast the last couple of hours..and I started to engage with them instead of push them away. I feel some relief and who cares if it seems total nuts.

• Moderator Emeritus

Feeling some relief is the key bit. Thinking of you

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Could one of the mods look at my previous entry. The psychological symptoms are just unbearable. I almost feel like I may need to check into hospital but what will that get me - more meds! I appreciate your time.

Hi sweetie, I'm so sorry you're going through such a rough time.

Given the history in your sig line, I think what you're experiencing is absolutely normal and typical. You were started on drugs at a young age before your brain was mature. You've been up and down and on and off various meds. You did a rapid taper and CT very recently. Any one of those conditions would lead to a difficult outcome; the combination is just very intense. 

I don't think updosing is a good idea at this point. This is the most difficult period, what you're going through now, and it's going to take a while. You need to give your brain a long, long time to stabilize. It's trying to figure out how to heal and normalize and fix itself, now that you're finally no longer scrambling it with new changes. 

Since we have never before in evolution encountered anything like what these drugs to do us, our bodies have no idea how to heal. They stumble around, trying this and that, overshooting here, undershooting there, turning off some genes, turning on others, just basically struggling. So it's a very imperfect and long process. 

I'm so sorry for your suffering. You're not alone. Please hang in there and just keep taking it one day at a time. I know it feels hopeless, it feels like forever; yet time does pass, and healing does come, and eventually you will emerge into the sunlight.

Hang in there.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

So sorry..sounds like your doing amazing looking after kids as well. Just because a whole decade feels like it has been wiped it doesn't mean that it will be the same the next decade..that scares me too that I will be going through this for the same amount of time I've been in hell for already..but it may not be this way..we have knowledge now.. peace for all on here <3

No, if you hang in there and don't add in meds or do any kind of abrupt changes, it won't be a decade. My honest guess is another year or eighteen months that will be pretty rough, followed by gradual and heartening improvement for another year or two, and then you'll have a brand new life and you will be happier and more peaceful than you can even imagine right now.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

Thank you so much Rhi..your post has made my day..ok.

And thank you for your honest guess..I have a feeling that it won't be 10 years either..I'm relieved to know whats wrong at long last in a way but horrified at this trap that I'm in -feels like.

So improving whilst still tapering for a few years you mean? So, I really could be holding for a year and then tapering?

Sorry cannot insert quotes on this tablet.

Again, thank you. I really appreciate your time :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I think holding for a year then tapering is not an unrealistic expectation. And if you taper slowly (you may have to take it really slow given your history) you won't feel too bad during that process. In fact you will probably find that you gradually feel better and better as you taper, as long as you don't push it.

It's impossible to say exactly how it will go, of course. It might be a year before you can start to taper, it might be a little less, it might be a little more. And there are always exceptions, we are all different. But that general time line is fairly typical and not an unreasonable expectation I think.

Ok thank you, so may need to do less than 10 percent a month. Again, I'm so thankful for your help.

Hi, Joannad, I feel quite related to your med history. I also wonder how long my healing will take now that I'm aware of the importance of not making any further changes of any kind. How can this healing happen after such a long time of medication, so many changes, reductions, additions, such insults to our poor brains?  But it will happen. I agree with Rhi's guess, but hopefully, it will be faster. 

I think it's wise to let the next taper take place after a very looong time. I'm doing the same. You're not alone. Hope your healing process is not too hard and not too long, and hopefully it will give us the tools to emerge stronger and wiser :) 

Best wishes

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

Hang in there

Sending (((hugs))))

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thank you both xx

Thank you all for your support during the last wave. I never feel like it is just a wave but convinced this is now my permanent state of being.

Pressure in my head and foggy so I don't really feel that this is a window but little things I'm enjoying again..to be able to sit here in peace and breathe properly - so good :)

I'm quite disorientated in another way though. It has been 11 years since I first took an antidepressant and I now feel I'm coming out of the fog, having no idea who I am, how to make decisions, live my life really. I suspect that many others feel the same and only doing my best with the perspective I have now to live the best I can until, I hopefully become clear is the only thing I can do.

Wishing you all much healing. <3

Oh man clarity would be so lovely. I pray the fog lifts for all of us.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Yes, frustrated, I hope so <3

Terrible depression. Another wave again?!

Feel like I'm going to have to move out of parents - don't want them to see what I'm going through. But where to go..cannot think straight, decide, plan anything. Wait it out again. I think this is the worst symptom but I think I always say this about all of the symptoms when they appear.

No, this is definitely the worst symptom.

I've had chronic depression since I've been on the ad's and off. Every time, the depression came back, I would just go back on them. For 11 years! Have people recovered from chronic depression from long term use of meds?

Yes, I believe they have recovered! So sorry!!!!

Hang on!!! Prayers.

Every wave seems like the worst, till the next one. :(

Xoxo

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thanks..how are you?

Sorry for the doom in my post..believe it or not I have been trying to be positive but overwhelmed and scared of depression.

It's ok J, it's your thread and your experience. No apologies to me ever for honesty. :)

This is just a hideous situation, no sense trying to put icing on poo and calling it a cupcake.

I'm here. I'm ok. I've had worse times, so I will not complain. I went to the animal shelter yesterday to play with the dogs, it made me more depressed. Lol :( oh well, nice try. Haha.

Aww how come? X

Because they are homeless. :(

Oh I see!

I feel that I need to add more about my history with antidepressants:

From 17 or 19 ( I don't remember), went on them for situational anxiety!!! Cannot believe what I've been dealing with just for that..

Stopped them cold turkey, I think. Only to go back on them for depression. I think this happened every year until 25/6 where I became non functional with constant anxiety but would then take the meds sporadically every few days, thinking they weren't doing much good anyway.

What a mess. I'm despairing that this depression is going to be recurrent as it has been since I went on them. Can't seem to pull myself out and up at all today. Went for a walk can't seem to do much more.

I m so sorry u feel terribly. Not great myself. I will keep you in my prayers. I wonder how many of our recuring issues like depression and muscle pain and anxiety is caused by years of going on and off and up and down on these darn meds. Maybe we wouldn't have most of these issues had we not taken these meds in the first place.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Thank you and I'm sorry you feel so badly too. I totally believe that is whats happening. And it is partly my fault for stopping starting but I didn't know.

Yes and just left on the meds frustrated without check ups just left to get on with it..

Had an awful night last night. Severe anxiety, internal shake, hot feeling, head feels like in a vice, head feels blocked, not a wink of sleep. Terrible suicidal thoughts, feelings. Felt like there were many arguments In my head all at the same time..awful symptom..I think this is one of the worst because I cannot distract with it, concentrate on anything or tolerate anything at all. Shaking most of the day..can't sleep again but my head is clear tonight so I'm grateful for that. Grateful for any ounce of peace I can get.

I'm sorry you are so bad off :(

Prayers for u J. (Hug)

Thank you. I a bit better now. I'm seriously doubting my ability to endure the next wave. It terrifies me really.

I'm awake.. Again.

It's 3:30 here :(

I feel you about enduring the wave... I don't know how I will do it either. I feel like I live in one.

Thanks for posting on my thread Joannad, even though you are going through the mill. Its very encouraging. I do wish you some peace from the storm you are going through, that sounded like an awful night. Hope you have a better day today.

Its always good to know that there are others this side of the pond on this site, feels closer, although im at the other end of the UK, down in the south west.

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

Feel traumatised by my last wave.

Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be delighted to mop a bathroom floor lol was so pleased to be functional today.

Thank you simon :)

Feeling a bit blank and empty not much enthusiasm..is this adhenoia?

Or maybe cos it's the first proper day of the year. Normal anyway and most people have work to go to or a routine but I start another year quite lost and unable to move on to what I would like to do due to the unpredictability of all this.

Actually no this blank empty feeling started some 3 days ago.

Yes I would call that anhedonia - a feeling very familiar to me. 

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

I'm wondering if I should updose if the adhenoia, apathy carries on..all interests seem to have gone..not that I was doing much able to do much before but I would at least look forward to something or feel some inspiration or emotion or something.

Anyway, not in distress, so that is a good thing.