LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

Thanks Cdav. I meant to say when I was writing that I was actually feeling better and had quite a good afternoon.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Glad to hear you are feeling better :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Oh, that's very good. I'm happy you're feeling better and making progress! 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

Thank you both.

For records..

Adhenoia (I think)..it feels like my personality has gone and in its place..anxiety..but this was and has been the case for many years), constant sense of anxiety and just feeling uncomfortable in 'life', depression. Not being able to see much future and feeling hopeless.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Oh also random burning pains but it's not as bad as back in October and crawling sensations when I'm trying to sleep..that one drives me nuts.

Hope youre not too snowed up there Joanna in the frozen north. I always look forward to a bit of snow, but down here it always comes as rain.

My memories of Inverness are from an end to end cycle ride we did back in the 90s. My 2 friends took the main road along loch ness and I took the scenic one on the other side; and we literally bumped into each other again arriving in the town. 2more days and we were in John a groats.

Then a few years ago we flew to Inverness and travelled over to the west coast, a place called Aulbea. Remote and beautiful ,even though one of the main highlights was going to Ullapool and finding a supermarket! Food had been in short supply until then.

But I imagine living there must have its drawbacks too, roll on the summer.

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

No there is some snow and storms but I'm right in town so I'm not too cut off.

Yeah, the west coast in summer and further north is lovely. I used to do a lot of exploring with my camera but it feels bad when your in a beautiful place and cannot feel anything and the terror that would already be there in recent years would be magnified being somewhere that was open and remote.

If I'm better in the summer this is somewhere I haven't been and would like to go http://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/north-scotland/highland/achmelvich-bay.htm..thereis so many places really still to see. But yes living there in the summer nice, in the winter maybe very difficult.

Thanks for posting on my thread,

I'm worried. 6 years ago, I tapered with doctors advice..so two, three weeks missing days and ended up in a terribly bad state and then back on the ad at high dose and then each year, exactly the same thing would happen - I just thought I wasn't ready to come off but wanted to keep trying. I feel like I've been in withdrawal the whole of that 6 years and/or experiencing side effects, that didn't affect me before.

But if it's side effects I've been experiencing, agitation, claustraphobic feeling in body then I'm going to have to come off but then I'm further destabilising myself. Sigh. It's not a question here really I'm just venting. I cannot believe what I've done to myself.

Hi Joannad, you didn't do this to yourself. It is not your fault. We didn't know our bodies would react like that to the AD's and withdrawal. 

I hope you're still feeling better. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

Thanks CDAV.

I dunno if what I'm doing will be ok..only time will tell. Made a 0.01 drop to 11.86mg today. Just been so sick of experiencing what I think to be side effects and feeling impatient but will be doing a micro taper.

Just stopping by to say hello, Joanna. Hope your taper is going well.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Thank you luv2 :)

So what I'm experiencing, I'm unsure if it is withdrawal or confusion/anxiety from being in such a bad state for years. At the moment, I have not much really..get the violin out lol..no job or career prospects (terrible fear of even trying anything again as I lost many jobs over the years of being in withdrawal/drug reactions), unable to settle (never felt at home here where my parents are and think I'm experiencing some trauma and associations of this particular place), lack of social network..I do go to support groups stuff here but lack any commitment to connect with others due to not feeling at home here, I have my parents to live at but it is not suitable and conducive to healing in many ways.

On one hand, I experience panic that nothing is ever going to change, so I start to think what can I do to take a step in the right direction, only to be faced with a blank mind..like totally..like there is no passion, enjoyment there so therefore, I cannot see a future. I cannot change anything if I cannot even think, formulate a plan. I used to be quite fearless and travel, move a lot to whatever I wanted to do/interest me. But that has gone. I wonder also if I'm experiencing some sort of akathisia as I have a feeling of panic, being trapped and I have to leave, move get out of here now only to feel move trapped as I cannot think clearly enough to take one step.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and is this blank mind withdrawal?

I feel the same.  You are not alone there.  I don't see any future except the crap I am living with now.  I don't see how my life will ever be different if I continue to suffer the way I do.  My kids will grow and move on without me and leave me in the dust and I will be the same, always.  I can't see past the WD.  I can't formulate a plan for anything.  Even an appointment throws me off because I am scared something will happen to me and I won't make it.  The brain is a marvelous thing but can also be our worst enemy at times.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Sorry you feel like that too..Your doing amazing looking after children on your own through this.

I just don't really feel there is a purpose to being here..suffering as much this. Sorry doom and gloom I dunno whether this is WD or how I've always felt and as time has gone on and I've been unable to form any sort of life the hopelessness is fed more. Urgh.

It is hard to feel positive and upbeat when you feel like poop everyday.  Do the best you can to survive each day and try as hard as you can to have faith.  Can't expect you to do more than that right now.  It is how I live everyday, and I try to eat healthy and juice at least 5 times a week.  It can't hurt.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Yes, the eating healthy part is difficult as I have no money to buy food on my own so I rely on what my parents eat although it's relatively healthy. My mum was saying think positive but when the very thing I cannot seem to do is think positive it I'd hard. Ohh. Hope you feel better xx

It is almost impossible for those not affected with pain and mental torture everyday to understand.  Even if they genuinely want to understand.  It is exhausting to say the least.  My kids love me but they just do not get it.  You can only do the best you can.  Try not to get too down on yourself although it is easier said than done.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Thanks frustrated. Xx

Wow this has been a bad day..emotional blunting, strange feeling of my personality self gone along with anxiety, agitation. In bed already at 9pm only...groundhog days..

Frustrated's words and advice is really wise and we should try to follow it. 

Remember you've recently have had better days. It is hard to remember good days in the middle of horrible days. I'm writing down everything I feel during a good day, everything I think when I'm thinking more clear, the good things that I CAN do. I try to read them when I'm not so well to let me know I will have good days again, even if I still have symptoms. Yes, it is easier said than done but we need to keep fighting. 

Deleted.

I wonder if a lot of what I'm experiencing is still withdrawal..i haven't had a proper window for about 4 weeks, where previously, I had clear windows. I feel adhenoia all the time. Oh and shaking, anxiety after excercise last night, so yeah must still be withdrawal.

I'm going to stop moaning now and go for a walk.

Stopping by to see how your doing today and to thank you for stopping by my thread

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

Having an awful awful time of it today. Terrible depression.

Oh c*ap, totally feel that my life is over. Terrified.

So so sorry Joanna. It will get easier. It really will. Don't give up. I so hope a window comes for you soon xx

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Thanks winning through, I hope your alright. I just keep thinking tonight, I don't know how I'm going to make it, the suicudal thoughts like an internal pressure.

I know. The suicidal thoughts are horrendous. It will get better. I've heard many, many times that the suicidal thoughts and feelings go away over time. Hugs xx

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Thanks xx

Sorry it's been rough for you :( thinking of you.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thanks Jdm

Strangely I'm having brain zaps, I haven't had these before and this isn't even the beginning of my taper. Feeling like I've been hit by a bus..I really don't know how to get the strength to endure this after already being in hell for so long.

Sometimes, I think new symptoms can hit a bit later. When did you cut? Like three or four weeks ago? I feel like I've been hit by a bus as well, of nasty memories from an abusive childhood.

I'm sorry you feel so bad. You will have strength because you have no choice but to be strong. You can and you have and you will endure.

I made a 5 % drop on the 20th jan but made a 0.01 drop on the 31st jan. Thank you for your message, slightly better today.

So if things get as bad as it did last night again/ worse or last longer, I feel that I would have to go to ER. Racing thoughts, suicidal thoughts constant/ urge just felt like I was being tortured. So, from SA perspective, there is nothing I can do, except to wait this out, right? I've searched the symptoms/self care and cannot tolerate mag or fish oil. There would be no point reinstating anything, yes? Although going to ER, I will be bound to be fed something but if I have to do this, then I'm going to have to.

• Moderator Emeritus

Joannad, hello.

I'm sorry you are still in the torture pit. We've all been in those depths. May this night bring a deeper breath, a more subtle pulse, a calmer heart, and more placid mind. May the night open its door not as a chamber of pain, but as a rest from the torrents. And may the new day greet you with a lifting of symptoms, the cessation of your pain. You are strong. You've already proven that many times over.

Hang in there.

Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞