Faithbarelysurviving: Too damaged?

Faithbarelysurviving

Thank you again for your care Altostrata

Please have patience and read : a great Mental Health Care System indeed/Never been hospitalized prior to starting meds

-Not sure all is accurate:2005 Diag. with major depression and anxiety after second birth

-switched AD,getting worse (maybe:Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin-diagnosed with bp

-Zyprexa, stopped it fast, got hosp.,Seroquel incr. at 300mg, wors. depr, akathisia bad,

-changed dr.,dropped Seroquel 300mg to 100mg !!!-

-new dr.got me off Seroquel in 1 mth at home!!Lamictal to help...getting worse,was also taking Clonazepam

-severe muscle twiches, dp/dr,neck and shoulder muscles tight straight like cement, psychotic, bedridden for 1yr

-Got put on Zoloft in the hosp.,and 3 mg of Clonazepam, "Stabilized" some after some months, 5-6,

-Came off Zoloft by dropping some weekly, not knowing better!debilitating symptoms, got back on, tried to reduce Clonazepam after research.Prof. Ashton; hosp., asked dr. to follow Dr Ashton, he dropped 3 mg Clon. in One day!put on much less Valium...hysterical,pain,rage,couldn t breathe,akathisia etc etc

-Zoloft up to 200mg!, hyperv. muscles tight like cement...my dr., on vacation!!Other dr red.zoloft, gave me Remeron

Current meds:Buspirone 20mg,Tegretol200mg,Trazadone 50 mg,Clonaz. 3mg,Escital.15mg,Propran.20mg,Bupropr.150mg,Baclofen30mg,Gabapentin200mg, taken 4 times/day in various comb

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Faithbarelysurviving

• Altostrata

• btdt

• bluebalu86

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying neurofeedback when I first started tapering Buspar, but as I got to lower the dosage (surely to fast and then got it up again) started to get much worse and had to stop going. The dr. told me my beta waves were at fault, ..that would mean high anxiety....but it is much more complicated than that....

Please have patience and read : a great Mental Health Care System indeed/Never been hospitalized prior to starting meds

-Not sure all is accurate:2005 Diag. with major depression and anxiety after second birth

-Zyprexa, stopped it fast, got hosp.,Seroquel incr. at 300mg, wors. depr, akathisia bad,

-new dr.got me off Seroquel in 1 mth at home!!Lamictal to help...getting worse,was also taking Clonazepam

-severe muscle twiches, dp/dr,neck and shoulder muscles tight straight like cement, psychotic, bedridden for 1yr

-Got put on Zoloft in the hosp.,and 3 mg of Clonazepam, "Stabilized" some after some months, 5-6,

-Came off Zoloft by dropping some weekly, not knowing better!debilitating symptoms, got back on, tried to reduce Clonazepam after research.Prof. Ashton; hosp., asked dr. to follow Dr Ashton, he dropped 3 mg Clon. in One day!put on much less Valium...hysterical,pain,rage,couldn t breathe,akathisia etc etc

-Zoloft up to 200mg!, hyperv. muscles tight like cement...my dr., on vacation!!Other dr red.zoloft, gave me Remeron

Current meds:Buspirone 20mg,Tegretol200mg,Trazadone 50 mg,Clonaz. 3mg,Escital.15mg,Propran.20mg,Bupropr.150mg,Baclofen30mg,Gabapentin200mg, taken 4 times/day in various comb

Faith, you have to stop blindly believe the doctors, you have to make an opinion of your own.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

I do not believe in them Martina, not a thing.

My opinion is that i Have been damaged gravely last hosp stay on top of the huge damage I had from before and just cover up some of the symptoms they gave all the meds i am on now, I have never been on more than one or two meds and every time I was trying to withdraw with worse and worse symptoms. Now I am stuck like this, any move I make it gets worse....I pray I will "stabilize" a bit so that I can taper off again....

Faith

• Moderator Emeritus

Now I am stuck like this, any move I make it gets worse....I pray I will "stabilize" a bit so that I can taper off again....

Faith, I don't think you are 'hearing' what Alto is trying to explain. Its the drugs which are causing your symptoms, its unlikely you are going to stabilize and feel better while taking so many drugs which are causing harmful effects in your body through the sheer number you are taking and some of the interactions between them.

No matter what your diagnosis, you are taking a ridiculous number of drugs in an absurd combination. Anyone can see that.

You need to tell the doctors you want to take the minimal amount of drugs, they're making you sick.

If you are feeling unwell, you are still in the same position: Either you need to reduce the drugs yourself, or you need to find professional help doing so.

We can't do much for you here if you're suffering adverse effects from drugs but not taking steps to reduce them.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Faith,

Could you put all of your meds together (round up all the bottles) put it on a table and take a picture of it using your phone?

Then maybe show it to someone you trust. I know it might sound strange, but maybe if you or someone else see's all the drugs you are taking in a picture then you'll realize the significant amount of drugs you are putting into your body everyday.  And like you have been told here already, it's causing you major problems.

• Administrator

Faith, when you were in the hospital, did they give you these drugs every day, according to your schedule?

Hello Altostrata,
Bupropion 150mg
Escitalopram 15mg
Clonazepam 1 mg x 3 times daily
Buspar 5mg (that equals half of full 10mg tablet) plus 1/4of a full 10 mg tablet --in the morning
Buspar 5mg plus 1/8th of a 10 mg tablet
Trazadone 50 mg
Gabapentin 300mg
Baclofen 30 mg
Carbamazepine 200 mg
Propranolol 40 mg

Or, from your signature:

Buspirone 20mg,Tegretol200mg,Trazadone 50 mg,Clonaz. 3mg,Escital.15mg,Propran.20mg,Bupropr.150mg,Baclofen30mg,Gabapentin200mg, taken 4 times/day in various comb.

When you were in the hospital, did they say they were going to stop some of the drugs but you refused?

It occurred to me that perhaps you do not believe you're feeling adverse effects from these drugs, you feel the drugs offer you a safety net; you do not want to go off them.

Since you arrived here in May, you've made barely any progress in reducing the drugs.

Did one doctor prescribe all these drugs or did several doctors prescribe them? Why was each drug prescribed?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Altostrata, two drs. prescribed them in the same hospitalization. No, nobody said in the hosp to stop any of the drugs, I begged my dr to take me off some because I was getting worse and worse and it was also severe severe withdr from 20 mg of valium which I think I still have (nerve damage, horrible migraines, neck like cement etc etc) . Plus in the hosp they tried me on Abilify, and other antipsychotics, I was screaming in pain and skina and bones burning after valium Almost CT withdrawal, they gave me risperdal too, refused to take out from the meds, I was barely alive....like a ghost, totally out and delirious I think. I was Constantantly asking to take me off some of the drugs because I was more and more suicidal ( was on a suicide watch many times and laughed at.......) I was telling them I might hurt somebody.... Was affraid I may hurt my children if they let me go home and soooo paranoid delusional......

I asked the dr to decrease Gabapentin as I had read it may cause aggressiveness....he got so mad because of my insisting he dropped me from 600mg to 300mg ...I was in severe akathisia, severely suicidal, crying non stop, could not breathe pacing on the hallway I was nuts...my head face neck jaws twiched squished clenched the nurses were unable to do anything, would not eat for days because i couldn t sit still and I was nuts they forced me to eat.... Dropped 40 pounds in a couple of weeks .

I also asking my doc to take me off Bupropion, begging him to do it, I couldn t because I was irrational plus they forced me to take them....Then put me on Seroquel and forced me to take it I think for "sleep" I started being psychotic on top of how I was.....because I was reacting to everything they were giving me and I was affraid of taking anything they would add....... I used to know the reasons for the meds I am on.... I lll try to somehow remember..... I Do want to get off, but I am so affraid as i am so sick to act or think.

Faith, when you were in the hospital, did they give you these drugs every day, according to your schedule?

Hello Altostrata,

Bupropion 150mg

Escitalopram 15mg

Buspar 5mg (that equals half of full 10mg tablet) plus 1/4of a full 10 mg tablet --in the morning

Trazadone 50 mg

Gabapentin 300mgf

Baclofen 30 mg

Carbamazepine 200 mg

Propranolol 40 mg

Or, from your signature:

Buspirone 20mg,Tegretol200mg,Trazadone 50 mg,Clonaz. 3mg,Escital.15mg,Propran.20mg,Bupropr.150mg,Baclofen30mg,Gabapentin200mg, taken 4 times/day in various comb.

When you were in the hospital, did they say they were going to stop some of the drugs but you refused?

It occurred to me that perhaps you do not believe you're feeling adverse effects from these drugs, you feel the drugs offer you a safety net; you do not want to go off them.

Since you arrived here in May, you've made barely any progress in reducing the drugs.

Did one doctor prescribe all these drugs or did several doctors prescribe them? Why was each drug prescribed?

And yes, the schedule was given by the dr.

Hi Faith,

Could you put all of your meds together (round up all the bottles) put it on a table and take a picture of it using your phone?

Then maybe show it to someone you trust. I know it might sound strange, but maybe if you or someone else see's all the drugs you are taking in a picture then you'll realize the significant amount of drugs you are putting into your body everyday.  And like you have been told here already, it's causing you major problems.

I guess you are right Jhonson, but I am so impaired I cannot do what you are suggesting.

Hi Faith, it was a bit hard to understand, is this your current medication list?

Bupropion 150mg
Escitalopram 15mg
Trazadone 50 mg
Gabapentin 300mgf
Baclofen 30 mg
Carbamazepine 200 mg
Propranolol 40 mg

Or the one in your signature here? Current meds:Buspirone 20mg,Tegretol200mg,Trazadone 50 mg,Clonaz. 3mg,Escital.15mg,Propran.20mg,Bupropr.150mg,Baclofen30mg,Gabapentin200mg, taken 4 times/day in various comb.

Faith, Altostrata means it well with you, I know it is hard to go off the drugs, but it is really that simple, either you find a possibility to refuce you drugs of at least half of them, or will feel only worse. Sure there is some discomfort in going off the drugs, but there is no other way to get better. You have to find this strenght in you to fight for your life that you get better. The life is not only about being kind, there are also other virtues such as perseverance, reason, ability to make uncomfortable decisions and take responsibility of own's life and life of others.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

I meant reduce, not refuce (I dont have spell check on my mobile phone)

symptoms OCD

• Administrator

Faith, I find it incredible that the hospital would add Abilify when you are already taking 9 psychiatric drugs 4 times a day.

From what you've posted, it seems your doctors have tried to reduce the drugs but your reaction was so extreme, they gave up on it.

This is what you've done here, too. You backed off from reducing Buspar because of vague reactions. As you are taking 9 psychiatric drugs 4 times a day, I hardly think Buspar is the linchpin of your nervous system stability.

If you want to stay on the drugs, you can do that. No one here is going to force you to go off the drugs. That is your choice.

If you stay on the drugs, you will have to cope with whatever symptoms you're getting from the drugs.

Your situation will not change unless YOU take action to change it. It looks like you will not do that. This site is not the place for perpetual complaining about your existential situation, your drug cocktail, or the way you've been treated by doctors. This is a site for people who are taking responsibility for their lives and going off drugs themselves.

It seems to me that this purpose of this site and your goals are not compatible. I wish you well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Altostrata, they did not try to reduce my meds. I was the one insisting on that and telling them over and over to do it. I am sorry I wrote about what happened in ghe hosp, . The withdrawal I had from tapering buspar was not vague at all and I hope you believe me. I think I am one of the cases in which so many meds were changed on me during the past 10 yrs, and I am one of the very sensitive people to these poisons, that my system is left very very damaged,. I was actually accused by the drs that I always try to get off meds and not being complaint. And the fact I talk about all these things constantly shows how sick i am, i know I missunderstand alot and my that is why I feel very damaged. I know that there is severe misfiring in my brain, I am not able to think rational

Thank you for wishing me well, God help us all! I think it is very hard for anybody to understand including myself how serious this is.

Would you like me not to enter this site? I can barely do it if I can.... But whatever is best for the people hereand for you Altostrata. Most of the times I think I am very irrational in my thinking, however I found support in here at your expense.

I am sorry

Faith

The purpose of this site is for people to take responsibility for their lives and come off their medications.

This exact thing I have tried to do for the past 10 yrs including my last hosp., but always ending back in the hosp to be put on different other poisons. It is too late for me, my symptoms are too many and too extreme and I am sure I am in protracted withdrawals plus the meds I am on now to Help with these protracted withdrawals....When I got in the hosp last time I was on two meds, Zoloft and vvalium, wxtremely sick, now I am on these ones.

And it is not fair to assume that drs gave up on me because of me....it was because of the fast withdrawals they did and all the other meds they have given me...despite all of it I am still alive, they almost killed me many times I think..

Faith

• Administrator

Faith, from what I've seen, you are highly resistant to reducing your drugs, either by yourself or by your doctors.

It doesn't matter what your history is and who did what to whom. If you want to reduce your drugs, YOU will have to take action to do this and YOU will have to take responsibility for whatever upset the reduction causes. You will not be able to go off a 9-drug cocktail without some upset.

So far, you have not taken responsibility for this.

As we have discussed tapering at great length and, from my point of view, gotten nowhere, I and the staff will not counsel you further on tapering. I think you understand the general principle. It's up to you. You can do it yourself. You don't need us.

If you prefer to stay on the drugs, that's fine, that's your decision. There are millions of people who believe they need their drug cocktails. You might join PatientsLikeMe.com or depressionforum.org for peer support.

i am sorry I cannot think clearly... So would you like me not to log on the site?

• Administrator

We cannot provide you the kind of attention you require.

Faith, I'm happy to know you are still hanging in there and trying. You are in a very difficult situation with all the drugs you're on but it's clear you are trying. Please be strong and hang on.

There's a Facebook SA group where you might find some comfort. Not a lot about tapering but some moral support to help you hold on.

Hang on Faith. I'm pulling for you. Sending you vibes of strength and perseverance. I hope the link below works. If not let me know and I will try to get you the proper link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1644493302486833/

2001-04 Polypharmacy to include Paxil,Celexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Depakote, Ambien, Geodon, Valium, Ativan, Haldol

03/04-11/04 Abilify

11/04-05/07 CT Abilify Non symptomatic

6/07 took Valium, began to experience altered reality and physical symptoms of withdrawal from Valium.

07/08. Abilify 2 mg, 12/08 Abilify 1 mg, 03/09 Abilify 0 mg, 03/08-06/11Altered reality but fully functional

10/12 hospitalized, Invega Depot, 2 shots discontinued, severe insomnia

6/14-10/14 flexeril, discontinued, developed insomnia; 10/14 10 mg Doxepin I week, no help with insomnia; 10/14 Remeron for two days, paradoxical reaction

Present Risperdal 1mg, clonazepam 2 mg, Restoril 15 mg. Went from .5 to 1 to 1.5 to 2mg of clonazepam in 2014. Also in 2014, tapered from 2 mg risperdal to 1.5 (fairly slowly but still too fast) and had to up dose back to 2 mg. Got liquid risperdal and started from 2 mg again.

I don't think the link works but it's called SA Members Only. You can do a search for it on Facebook. Stay strong Faith. xoxo

2001-04 Polypharmacy to include Paxil,Celexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Depakote, Ambien, Geodon, Valium, Ativan, Haldol

03/04-11/04 Abilify

11/04-05/07 CT Abilify Non symptomatic

6/07 took Valium, began to experience altered reality and physical symptoms of withdrawal from Valium.

07/08. Abilify 2 mg, 12/08 Abilify 1 mg, 03/09 Abilify 0 mg, 03/08-06/11Altered reality but fully functional

10/12 hospitalized, Invega Depot, 2 shots discontinued, severe insomnia

6/14-10/14 flexeril, discontinued, developed insomnia; 10/14 10 mg Doxepin I week, no help with insomnia; 10/14 Remeron for two days, paradoxical reaction

Present Risperdal 1mg, clonazepam 2 mg, Restoril 15 mg. Went from .5 to 1 to 1.5 to 2mg of clonazepam in 2014. Also in 2014, tapered from 2 mg risperdal to 1.5 (fairly slowly but still too fast) and had to up dose back to 2 mg. Got liquid risperdal and started from 2 mg again.

Hi Faithbarely surviving,

I no expert on drugs, but follow Altostrata's advice.

Start tappering slowly.

Ask Altostrata, what drug to tapper first.

I can help you to devise a chart, and each time you make a drop, note it down.

You will recover. Don't loose hope.

It is not your fault that this happened to you.

Stay strong, use this website to help you tapper off the cocktail of drugs you are on. Take care, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Mentor

Hello Faith, are you decreasing the drugs yet?  We all support you, but YOU have to take the first step................  you are on so many medications, yes for your life, you need to taper the first one, real quick.

Wish you well........................   focus,. what are you taking, keep a record, and decrease, as per Altos suggestions................

or like she said, if you cant do it, go hospital.................     for yourself, look after yourself..................THE FIRST STEP IS THE HARDEST.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I don't know if it is a good thing but I am reducing Trazadone...I cut my 50mg pill in 4 quarters and dropped 1/4 on Oct 27th.

Faith, that is great! I hope that Altostrata will give you her opinion about it.

symptoms OCD

Faith, I have one idea. Because I think if you go down only with one medicament, it does not really help. What if you reduce all your medicaments of 1/8 and then keep 2 months, again reduce 1/8 and waiting 2 months. In 16 months you are then totally off your medicaments. It is only my opinion, if someone thinks it is not ok, please feel free to tell your opinion.

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

Martina,

That is probably the worst advice I have seen anyone give on this site. The goal of tapering is to come off well and functioning, not within a specific timeframe. Tapering all those drugs at once places a massive burden on the nervous system and you would have no idea what reductions are causing what reactions. In other words you are making massive changes and disabling your capacity to listen to your body.

Please do not encourage people to take actions that are contrary to everything espoused on this site - it's dangerous for the member and sets a bad example for the community in terms of thinking well about tapering and withdrawal.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Dalsaan, I wanted only to help her. That is my opinion. The woman takes maybe 7-9 meds and can hardly take her head off the pillow. In principle, all these medicaments have side effects and by such an amount of drug to look for which drug causes what effect is for me not really decissive. But I will not anymore step here into discussion. I thought that everyone can tell here his opinion.

symptoms OCD

Martina,

That is probably the worst advice I have seen anyone give on this site. The goal of tapering is to come off well and functioning, not within a specific timeframe. Tapering all those drugs at once places a massive burden on the nervous system and you would have no idea what reductions are causing what reactions. In other words you are making massive changes and disabling your capacity to listen to your body.

Please do not encourage people to take actions that are contrary to everything espoused on this site - it's dangerous for the member and sets a bad example for the community in terms of thinking well about tapering and withdrawal.

Dalsaan

Faith is in a complicated situation, to say the least.

What course of action would you recommend for Faith?

• Administrator

Folks, please be very careful about advising Faith on tapering anything.

She is in such a state that only she or a doctor can take responsibility for what happens.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think that to the extent a plan for Faith can be proposed, Alto has already indicated that she begin by tapering one of the meds.  It would seem that Trazadone would be a decent choice from the list.  The fact that Faith has taken that step seems to be an indication that she is looking to start the process and we should be supportive of that.  Martina, while there are examples of people doing simultaneous tapers off several meds (Rhi comes to mind), it is very difficult and 9 meds is an awful lot to address at once.  Having said that, I understand you were simply trying to help and you phrased it to "ask the question" and seek a response which Dalsaan supplied.  From a tapering standpoint, Dalsaan is absolutely correct, although it might have been said somewhat differently.  ;) I can tell that it was something that hit a nerve and caused her to respond in that manner. 

I think we should all support Faith in her efforts to deal with coming off the Trazadone as a first step and help her get through the symptoms that might well arise.

In other words, everyone has the same goal here -- Faith's best interests and well being.  Let's put our energy in that direction.

Best to all,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Faith are you feeling any different after the Trazodone reduction? Keep a journal of your symptoms and report here so we know what's going on. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

I think that to the extent a plan for Faith can be proposed, Alto has already indicated that she begin by tapering one of the meds.  It would seem that

Trazadone would be a decent choice from the list.  The fact that Faith has taken that step seems to be an indication that she is looking to start the process and we should be supportive of that.  Martina, while there are examples of people doing simultaneous tapers off several meds (Rhi comes to mind), it is very difficult and 9 meds is an awful lot to address at once.  Having said that, I understand you were simply trying to help and you phrased it to "ask the question" and seek a response which Dalsaan supplied.  From a tapering standpoint, Dalsaan is absolutely correct, although it might have been said somewhat differently.   ;) I can tell that it was something that hit a nerve and caused her to respond in that manner. 

I think we should all support Faith in her efforts to deal with coming off the Trazadone as a first step and help her get through the symptoms that might well arise.

In other words, everyone has the same goal here -- Faith's best interests and well being.  Let's put our energy in that direction.

Best to all,

Andy

I am very glad that you wrote that Andy. I was also thinking of Rhi when Blue suggested tapering from all the meds at a small dose. Sometimes I am too afraid to comment at all on anyone's post for fear of saying the wrong thing and making it worse. Faith's case is a very difficult one and I am at a loss as to what to say. 

I didn't suggest that starburst.

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Moderator Emeritus

It was actually Martina but that's not the point.  The point is let's all move forward and channel our feeling toward helping Faith and each other.

Hope all are doing better than the minute before.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,