☼ Hudgens's story

Hudgens

Been sleeping 4-6 hrs a night since last Sunday, very welcome. Brain fog not as bad last two days. Exercise seems to help.

No other withdrawal symptoms yesterday and today with the exception of some short episodes of mild irritability.

Exercise has bothered me in the past, brought on withdrawal symptoms, that is- but not lately (last 6 months or so). So sensitivity to

different things does let up eventually. Still can't take supplements though. Even some herbs, like Ginger, make me temporarily anxious.

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hudgens

• Altostrata

• alex

• Lexy

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

It's great that you are sleeping better Hudgens. The difference a few hours makes is incredible!

I'm still not sleeping well and just keep waiting for  my turn to come. Are you off yet or still taking

miniscule amounts of effexor?

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Still on micro dose (need lighted magnifying glass to prepare dose).

Next and last dose can't start until end of this month.

It will only be 2-3 granules of Generic Effexor.

Last night I woke up after 2 hrs of sleep with bad anxiety, though

it subsided in 5-10 minutes, and I slept another uneventful

3 hrs after that. Some kind of bad dream associated with the earlier

anxiety, too. But thankfully can't specifically remember it.

I could conceivably be posttaper by New Year's. That would make it

easier to remember. But I want to be as sure as I can be about my

stability before stepping off. Which means waiting as long as necessary.

The insomnia does seem to slowly ease. I'm hitting the end of my second

year with it and it's only just seemingly getting back into the manageable

range, 4-6 hrs a night.

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Still sleeping much better, 5-6 hrs per night. No real withdrawal symptoms since last posting.

Brain fog, memory and confusion problems no longer evident.

Getting heaps of work done, but eating poorly again and not exercising either.

When the work goes well, I tend to reward myself with bad food choices.

Things are going so well that I'm now considering starting my post-taper

from this current dose, that is, not making another reduction at the end of this month.

We'll certainly see.  

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Experienced some very bad anxiety for 3-4 hours in the evening last two days, felt a little crappy all day today, too, but better than last two evenings. Eating better again, and really, I did get through the 2 anxiety episodes OK. But something's definitely up, I mean it's a wave alright. So far, a mild one though, and I'm still sleeping better.  

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Sleep still much better (5-6 hrs a night). Mood good. No real withdrawal symptoms during this last week. Probably going post taper November 1st.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Good to hear;you are on your way to live drug free.

Congratulations.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Doing fine, very little withdrawal, and that only mild. Mood's good. Moments of mental confusion and generalized brain fog seem to have completely lifted. If things stay the same until the 31st, I'll be going post taper on the 1st.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hudgens,

I'm happy to hear your taper is going so well, when I read that your are about to jump off and become completely medication free, I got quite excited.  Wishing you luck, although I'm sure you don't need it.

Thank you for the regular updates.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I stopped my taper today, almost 4 years since it began, November 15th 2010.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Congratulations.

Thanks.

48 hrs since final dose, of course you can't tell much after such a short time, but I feel fine-absolutely no symptoms other than

mild brain zaps when turning my eyes to the left, which I've had the entire 4-yr taper, which never bothered me (they're so slight).

I can even make them stop just by closing my left eye or by shutting off the lights at night. I think there were one or two days during my taper that they disappeared, and it felt odd at those times not to be having them.

My other more or less constant withdrawal symptom-insomnia-has also much improved during the last several months, in fact,

last night I think I got 7 hrs.

I think I would get worried if I don't have any real withdrawal symptoms for a while because I've previously experienced the "feeling better than ever" before getting socked with horrible withdrawal. (In 2008 I tapered for 3 months and "felt better than ever" for exactly 2 months to the day post taper and suddenly felt as though a building had fallen on me. I couldn't get to the Effexor fast enough. The awful feeling left me within a few hours, thankfully.)

Anyway, everything's fine for now.  

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Yesterday was one week post taper. Not bad at all overall. A little trouble getting to sleep last night-that feeling of things kind of bouncing around-but things settled down after about a hour, and I slept pretty well after that. A little dizziness right now. Exercising and eating fairly well.

If nothing bad happens in the mean time, I'll be chking back in at the end of the first month.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Yay well done Hudgens, great to hear that you are still well and not having withdrawal symptoms :D

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 3 weeks later...

One month post-taper and doing better than I'd ever expected.

Still one night a week with 2-3 hrs sleep, but last night got 8 hrs!

Still have very mild brain zaps when turning eyes to right, and a few while first falling to sleep.

The occasional 2-3 hrs of mild anxiety.

Mood good.

From past experience I consider two months out post-taper to be the first really important milestone. 

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

One month post-taper and doing better than I'd ever expected.

Still one night a week with 2-3 hrs sleep, but last night got 8 hrs!

Still have very mild brain zaps when turning eyes to right, and a few while first falling to sleep.

The occasional 2-3 hrs of mild anxiety.

Mood good.

From past experience I consider two months out post-taper to be the first really important milestone. 

Hudgens! You are giving me hope! I wish you the best in your drug free future. Please keep us updated, especially as you come up to the two month milestone.

-jan14 2016- off effexor!!-

wellbutrin:Jan 25/17;Start to split 100mg in half

-Feb 12/17;100-50mg -Apr 30/17;50-30mg liquid. -June 6/ 17;30-20mg -July6/17;updose to 26mg -Oct 18/17;13 to 12mg -Nov 24/17;12 to 11mg -Feb 21/18;22 to 20mg -Apr 2/18;20 to 18mg -Apr 30/18;18 to 16mg -May 22/18;16 to 14mg -June 18/18;14 to 12.4mg -July 15 /18;12.4 to 11.6mg -Nov5/18;11.2 to 10mg -Dec14/18;10 to 10.4mg

• Moderator Emeritus

This is brilliant Hudgens, 8 hours sleep......... bliss! 

2002  effexor. 

Ive been reading through your thread (parts of it, as its very long!) and found it very encouraging  as, im in a similar situation to what your were in several years back. (Similar age too and drug history.)

Right back at the beginning your were asking about success stories or lack of them.

From what I can make out , this site seems to attract people who have been on meds a long time and therefore recovery tends to be patchy and sporadic. Ive noticed on another forum theres more seemingly rapid recoveries but mainly from folk who have been on drugs for a relatively short period. Also many horror stories from CTs etc. There seemd to be  no real policies in that forum that would guide people in how to do it. Rather hit and miss.

I like this place as its all more realistic and honest, and you do get the feeling that people are healing up very well given the battles they've had to face.

Good to hear that youre doing so well and I wish you well in the coming months

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hudgens,

That's awesome! One month post taper!

I'm inspired!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

1 month and a half post end of taper!!

I'm so happy for you! Bravo!! Bravo!!

Still feeling pretty good?

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

Getting pretty close to 2 months-that's this Sunday-Still doing well. Sleeping a little better-5-6 hrs.

I have had 2 short episodes of disorientation-a 2-6 second spell of not knowing where I am. Maybe I shouldn't say

"not knowing where I am"-that's not exactly accurate. I do know where I am-each episode happened in places (at a mall, on a highway) that I'm very familiar with. Everything just suddenly looked strange to me for a few seconds and I had to get my bearings again.

There's a mental map we all have of places we've been, which is just a general sense of where everything is-for example in a mall-in relationship to everything else.There's no reason to think about this map, or even about its existence, unless it happens to fail us. I had to remember the map and then figure out again where I was on it-which takes about 2 or three seconds after I first get that feeling of being confused, and things not looking familiar. The whole thing happens and disappears each time very suddenly.

I've had this maybe 6-8 other times during the past two years-since about 75% through my taper.

As I've said before, If I didn't know it was a withdrawal symptom, I'd worry that it was early onset Alzheimer's. But all sorts of memory, brain fog and disorientation problems have been well documented on this site and every where else, too. (Some have reported-specifically about Effexor that they're afraid to drive anywhere because they get confused and lost so easily, [my own experience of this sort of thing being more mild probably because of my slow taper]). It would have to be a really big coincidence if these episodes were NOT due to withdrawal.

There are no other symptoms to report since my last post.

I'm going to post again in a few days-to mark the end of the first two months.

I'd also like to state again that I'm not going to post any success story until about 10 months to a year out-since bad withdrawal can hit anyone at least that far out post-taper.

I HAVE successfully "tapered", but that's only half of the ordeal-the post taper is the second half, and must be reasonably symptom free, I think, in order to be considered a success. I'll start to feel as though I've made it through successfully about next July-August.

I know how important success stories are to everyone on this site, but I don't want to write one prematurely and then have everything fall apart afterwards. You just don't know with this stuff-it takes a lot time to be more sure of the outcome.  

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Feeling fine at the 2 months mark of my post-taper.

Slept 7 hours last night! No anxiety upon waking up.

Some mild anxiety from time to time-short 30-60 minute episodes.

I mentioned 2 episodes of brief mental confusion last post. Haven't had any of that

since. It seems to come and go like any other symptom, something like a small wave, I guess.

Moods been good for all of first 2 months with only one or two brief exceptions.

I should also say the my brain zaps upon falling to sleep have become much more

mild.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

This is brilliant to read Hudgens and I am so glad that you are still doing fine. 7 hours sleep is 

amazing, can't wait to be able to say that when I've finished my taper. I had one night last week 

when I slept for 7 hours for the first time in years but it wasn't a restorative sleep, I was still 

very tired and felt ill but it was still zzzzzzzzzzz  :)

2002  effexor. 

Yaaaayy!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

2 1/2 months post-taper and doing very well. It does seem to take forever for me to fall asleep, but once I do I'm out for 5-6 hours.

This is a great improvement from the last 2 years.

Getting a lot of work done and slowly getting back into exercising and eating better.

No real withdrawal to speak of last two weeks.

Mood normal.

In 2008 I was off Effexor for 3 months, while trying an unsuccessful transition to Prestig, when I suddenly had some very bad

withdrawal, I remember it felt as though my head was going to explode, really awful feeling. So, we'll see if I get past this

3 month mark OK this time.  

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• 2 weeks later...

3 Months today post taper.

Sleeping almost normally: doesn't take so long to fall a sleep; sleep right through

and between 6-7 hours (despite 3 cups of coffee a day, light in room in morning, not exercising).

Short episodes (1-2 hours) of anxiety, lightheadedness, irritability, flu-like feelings, and twice

depression. Don't have symptoms everyday, though, more like every third day.

Mood generally even and good. (Best way to express this- and everyone here knows what I mean

when I say that I just feel normal.)

I'll check back in another month, or sooner if I get a real wave or something like that.

I should also mention that all of the withdrawal symptoms I'm currently experiencing are mild, as a matter of fact,

nothing severe since last spring.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Very happy for you!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update Hudgens.  Its great to hear that you are doing so well after a successful taper.  Thank you for documenting your progress so consistently.  I look forward to reading your success story here:

Recovery success stories

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Hudgens for posting your updates. I am glad to hear things are going so well for you!

-Feb 12/17;100-50mg -Apr 30/17;50-30mg liquid. -June 6/ 17;30-20mg -July6/17;updose to 26mg -Oct 18/17;13 to 12mg -Nov 24/17;12 to 11mg -Feb 21/18;22 to 20mg -Apr 2/18;20 to 18mg -Apr 30/18;18 to 16mg -May 22/18;16 to 14mg -June 18/18;14 to 12.4mg -July 15 /18;12.4 to 11.6mg -Nov5/18;11.2 to 10mg -Dec14/18;10 to 10.4mg

Absolutely, Thanks. Strange to say, the 2 Tylenol and hot bath worked two days in a row. I feel fine now. More and more I'm finding out that my symptoms (even when they're very bad) if not completely, are at least to some extent vulnerable to different things like Tylenol, hot baths, walking, reading, abdominal breathing, mindfulness tecniques. In the past, this hasn't been the case-- it was more like these kinds of things were just something to keep me occupied until the symptom(s) left. So, even though the symptoms seem as bad as ever-this could be a sign that they are weakening over time. That would be wonderful in itself. Hudgens

Absolutely, Thanks. Strange to say, the 2 Tylenol and hot bath worked two days in a row. I feel fine now. More and more I'm finding out that my symptoms (even when they're very bad) if not completely, are at least to some extent vulnerable to different things like Tylenol, hot baths, walking, reading, abdominal breathing, mindfulness tecniques. In the past, this hasn't been the case-- it was more like these kinds of things were just something to keep me occupied until the symptom(s) left. So, even though the symptoms seem as bad as ever-this could be a sign that they are weakening over time. That would be wonderful in itself. Hudgens

I am starting to wonder the same thing... Deep breathing and mindfulness seem to really help these days

So so so so so happy for you Hudgens, thank you for documenting and giving us hope  - Your story also acts as a reminder of the need to  go slowly.....as slowly as is needed.  Looking forward to reading more from you in the summer time and for now, really hoping that you are still doing 'well and normal'.

SweetC

May 2001 - age 24 given 20 mg seroxat. Tried to reduce myself after a year. Told by GP to take on alternate days and I would be fine. FAIL. Assumed 'wrong time' due to university stress and that my 'depression' must be worse than I thought.

Increased dose to 30 mg December 2002. Tried the same technique as before to reduce- made it down to a quarter tablet but couldn't stand symptoms, had a sneaking suspicion that it was due to tablets but never considered dependency - 'depression is a diseased brain after all' (is what I was told)

Continued until October 2010 - tried to CT and managed to last five months - assumed the depression was really bad but had no understanding of the reason for awful anxiety. Ran back to GP started Prozac- went crazy thought I was going to die. Stopped Prozac after two weeks.

April 2010 Started sertraline. Stablished but felt numbed.

September 2010 Asked for seroxat again. Upped my dose to 30 after three weeks. Felt hyper, caffeinated, but functional. Glad to be over what I thought was 'depression'..

Realised it is the meds, want to be free at last - July 2012 started 10% taper from original dose and took supplements. Took suppliments sporadically and despite the temptation the taper, wanted it 'over with'. Taper took exactly six months and 10 days.

Reductions were as follows:
First 2 weeks- 27 mg
Next 2- 24mg
Next 2- 21 mg
Next 2- 18mg
Next 2 15 mg
Next 2 12 mg (held for four weeks due to house move from London back to Ireland)
Next 2 weeks- 9 mg
Next 2 weeks- 6 mg
Next 2- weeks 3 mg
Next 2 weeks 1.5 mg (held for 5 weeks as scared)
10th February 2013 Jumped to zero

Within 3 weeks sadness, led to anxiety.  Restarted suppliments - helped a bit.  Stressful move to London. A lot of fatigue and DEEP emotions. Crying LOTS. Took suppliments on and off, moved back to Ireland after being back in London for only eight weeks as felt too sad and unsettled. 

No suppliments when moved back.  Unhappy at being back, scared I wouldn't ever find happiness - deep deep sadness, anger, STUPIDLY went back to doctor and decided I must just be a 'depressive'.  Given Citalopram/Celexa 20mg.

Took it for seven days, changed my mind, decided to be 'strong' and put it behind me. (No particularly adverse effects that I recall, save for day 5 having inner vibrations in arms and legs) Still had pack of tablets however and every time emotions got hard felt I had to 'go back onto tablets'.  I did this from July until November. (On them off them on them off them) ........

Started to get body vibrations and told myself it was 'anxiety' and I was 'giving myself panic attacks.  I continued to cry as I 'started' the tablets again and again - not wanting to go back there but not sure what else to do. 

More vibrations - but didn't make the connection that I had a compromised CNS -  thought it was anxiety....chest started to pound in Sept, vibrations continued...lost weight, became anxious, sleep was awful and I tried a variety of remedies to replace the tablets and calm my anxiety and lift my mood.  I think they made things worse.

(These included, St.Johns Wort, Rescue Remedy, Homeopathic treatments, Chinese herbs, Passiflora, and suppliments from the online company who state they are experts in assisting people get off meds)

Also did the following:

Talking therapy

Human Givens Therapy

Homeopathy

Narcotics Anonymous

October 23rd took Citalopram (20mg) for 12 days - no relief

November 6th Started Seroxat 10 mg (to be safe) stupidly upped to 20 the next day.

Stayed on 20 for 18 days, no relief, stopped for two days suddenly, relief came - short lived, vibrations and torture came after 72 hours.  Suicidal for days.  Upped to 30 thinking it would improved.  Even more suicidal.  Dropped to 20 again (December 9th) not suicidal, but not better. Started liquid 28th December reduced to 18 mg in effort to reduce and stabilise.  Don't know where to go from here.  Living with parents who are supportive beyond words.

Sweetcreature

Yes, I am. But it's only been 3 months and 1 week.  6, 7, 8 and 9 months sound so much more significant.

I started all of this when I was 53, I'll be 58 by the time I begin to feel I'm finally out of the woods. Five years!

One thing I can say for certain, my original personality is completely back now. In case anyone is wondering,

it remains in tacked, though hidden, throughout the drug years, and subsequently gradually, and fully, reemerges.   

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Congratulations!!

I was going through a big box of family photos today and noticed something I hadn't before, a complete lack of facial expression in all my photos after I began taking antidepressants. My body seems unnaturally stiff also. I compared them to the photos of me before antidepressants, from my childhood, teen years and 20's, which show a normally expressive face along with natural-looking, relaxed posture. I now also recall, during the antidepressant years, hearing people saying something funny, I mean in the sense of telling a joke, and knowing they were doing this, but absolutely unable to smile or laugh at what they'd said. Not because what they were saying wasn't funny, but just because I was unable to respond appropriately. At the time I just thought this is the way I've always been, but the earlier photographs show this wasn't true. If anything I was almost overly expressive in those, like a show off sometimes. The antidepressant photos are really deadpan. Everyone else in the picture looks alive whereas I appear to be in a sort of zombie-like state, like I'm autistic. I should also say that in my most resent pictures, starting with two years through my taper, I can see a gradual increase of expression and bodily animation returning in images of me. The most recent look like the pre-antidepressant photographs. Isn't that amazing? I think I was emotionally dead for 20 years!

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Well,welcome to the world of the living!

I know very well how it is to feel dead inside...