Cat416: neophyte experience with medical system

Cat416

Hi I’m new to this site. I’ve learned so much from this forum already. I had a brief bout with Clonazepan late 2019 and in ignorance CT’d. Tgat led me to glee to a BC Recovery Centre who put me into Nozinan (anti psychotic) abd Gabapentin to help deal with massive Benzo withdrawal. They stabilized me but said zero about coming off the drugs they gave me. I FT’d the Anti Psychitic on the advice of my doctor. Hell ensued. Extreme nerve pain in my teeth. Psychiatrist at leading mental hospital suggested a ramp up on my Gabapentin (I was at 100mg). I went to 1200mg but it did not help my mouth pain so I dropped 600mg in 4 weeks. All approved by my MD. I’m now suffering big time and waiting to stabilize before I resume my taper of 5-10% every 4 or 6 weeks. I expect to taper to about 200 or 300mg before jumping off (usual jump off point for Gabapentin). 

feeling impatient to get on with it. I’m now completely disillusioned with the doctors and recovery “experts” who seem to fumbled so much in trying to help me. I’m utterly shocked at the level of ignorance. The amount of suffering is indescribable but done doctors just roll their eyes at me now. Never felt more alone in my life until I discovered this site and the Gabapentin Awareness FB page..... anyone relate?

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded

April 2019 ct from Clonazepan (Klonopin) 0.5mg. Chaotic CT

Gabapentin November 2019 600mg Chaotic RT

Nozinan November 2019. RT

ct Gabapentin and Nozinan May 2020

Seroquel in July 2020 90mg. Reduced to 50mg in Feb 2020 over one month. Too fast!!

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

Propranolol to control Tachycardia 2020. 15mg given in December 2020 on Cardiologist recommendation. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Cat416.  I'm sorry you're having these symptoms. Yes, the level of ignorance is astonishing.  Doctors know nothing about safe tapering or withdrawal, which they don't believe exists.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks (the 5% reduction you mentioned is also fine).

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically bout tapering gabapentin, including how to get the non-standard doses you'll need for your taper.

Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

Here is some information on withdrawal and healing.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system,   NOTE:  Taking magnesium at the same time as gabapentin decreases the absorption of gabapentin.  Avoid taking magnesium for 2 hours before your gabapentin.

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me in such detail. Appreciated 🙏🏻

Seroquel in July 2020 90mg. Reduced to 50mg in Feb 2020 over one month. Too fast!!

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

Propranolol to control Tachycardia 2020. 15mg given in December 2020 on Cardiologist recommendation. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cat416: neophyte experience with medical system
  • 8 months later...

Titled:  Third Attempt at Tapering

I’m now tapering Seroquel. It’s an anti psychotic given me after a chaotic WD from Gabapentin. I know the files suggest 10% reduction per month. Does an anti psychotic require a lower rate or not?

Edited by manymoretodays
merged to introduction, title added

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

Hi All

ice been absent a while but now back because I guess I did not learn the first or second time. Thanks fir your non judgement and wise support!

I started my journey with ct from 0.5mg Klonopin(a Benzo). I did not know any better. Ended up in rehab 16 months later to try and cope with WD distress. 
they put me into Gabapentin and Nozinan (anti psychotic) which did settle be down...until I had to get off due to side effects. It was catastrophic. I got burning mouth pain from the Gabapentin. I rapid tapered and ended up in chaos again. I found a psychiatrist who put me onto Seroquel (87.5mg) and Lexapro (5mg).

all went fine for a few months till I developed Tachycardia and Akathisia. My psych then rapid tapered me to 50g of the Seroquel (43%) new Chaos. 
I’m now tired of this circle. Decided that once I settle down (several months?), I will do a very slow taper. Interestingly, at the new lower dosage, the Akathisia is gone. However I’m being punished with severe WD symptoms. I feel foolish and desperate.

counting on your advice and support. Thank you  

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Please post questions about your own situation in your Introduction topic.  This way all your history is in one place.  Also the moderators regularly check the Introductions forum for new posts but because the site is very busy with a lot of members needing assistance they do not always have time to check the other forums so your questions might get missed.

On 2/1/2021 at 5:40 AM, Cat416 said:

I’m now tapering Seroquel. It’s an anti psychotic given me after a chaotic WD from Gabapentin. I know the files suggest 10% reduction per month. Does an anti psychotic require a lower rate or not?

The 10% every 4 weeks is a guideline for tapering psychiatric drugs.  If you find that you get withdrawal symptoms after making a 10% reduction that are still lingering after 4 weeks then you would hold for longer and then you might find it better to reduce by a smaller amount.  It's important to listen to your body/symptoms.  The idea is to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.

Stability

WDnormal

And you can always go slower than the 10% per month method.

You might consider this tapering method:  Brass Monkey Slide

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you. Much appreciated 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cat416,

I've been merging your posts altogether, and then back to your main Introduction here.  And this should be helpful for you, as well as us.......to see what has been offered already, and have a central place for all your information.

Just one Introduction topic per member here.  And then this is a really good spot to post questions when they come up, and keep us updated as well.

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

this will help us out a lot

On 1/31/2021 at 11:40 AM, Cat416 said:

And yes, the same tapering principles apply to Seroquel:  The why taper by 10% of my dosage

And see:  Tips for tapering off Seroquel(quetiapine)

On 1/31/2021 at 2:56 PM, Cat416 said:

Hi All

ice been absent a while but now back because I guess I did not learn the first or second time. Thanks fir your non judgement and wise support!

I started my journey with ct from 0.5mg Klonopin(a Benzo). I did not know any better. Ended up in rehab 16 months later to try and cope with WD distress. 
they put me into Gabapentin and Nozinan (anti psychotic) which did settle be down...until I had to get off due to side effects. It was catastrophic. I got burning mouth pain from the Gabapentin. I rapid tapered and ended up in chaos again. I found a psychiatrist who put me onto Seroquel (87.5mg) and Lexapro (5mg).

all went fine for a few months till I developed Tachycardia and Akathisia. My psych then rapid tapered me to 50g of the Seroquel (43%) new Chaos. 
I’m now tired of this circle. Decided that once I settle down (several months?), I will do a very slow taper. Interestingly, at the new lower dosage, the Akathisia is gone. However I’m being punished with severe WD symptoms. I feel foolish and desperate.

counting on your advice and support. Thank you  

Are you still on the Lexapro now?

I'm so glad the akathisia is gone.

And good to come around, and plan for the future tapers.

Welcome back, This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Seroquel Withdrawal or Side Effects

Hi All

can you help me with a dilemma?

I recently rapid tapered from 87.5mg Seroquel to 50mg. My psychiatrist directed me to do this as I was getting Akathisia and cardiac issues (Tachycardia). Both issues have improved dramatically....however 
now five weeks later I’m definitely experiencing heavy WD but I also suspect that I may still be experiencing the side effect I had on the drug causing Akathisia.

I wake up feeling Adrenalin surges and feeling very hung over till noon. Then in the afternoons I return to almost normal. It’s like clockwork in its predictability every day. I also get nausea, cold sweats and foggy brain which I know is WD. 
I’m waiting to stabilize before trying to taper much more slowly. 

I feel trapped between WD horror and side effects. Can’t taper fast but suffering side effects. Hence trying to identify the source of these Adrenalin rushes...

Di you think I’m having WD or side effects as it pertains specifically to Adrenalin surges and feeling agitated ?

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from tapering, title

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cat416, @Cat416

This is your Introduction topic, right here.  And honestly, this is the best place to post most of your concerns, ask questions, and to provide updates.  You'll see some further consolidation of your posts above, and another post about that from me above.

18 hours ago, Cat416 said:

I recently rapid tapered from 87.5mg Seroquel to 50mg. My psychiatrist directed me to do this as I was getting Akathisia and cardiac issues (Tachycardia). Both issues have improved dramatically....however 

And oh so glad to hear that you have seen dramatic improvement.  And this is great to have this now in your Introduction topic.  It could have been so easily lost, with time, over in the Tapering forum.  This is a big part of your story and case.

18 hours ago, Cat416 said:

I wake up feeling Adrenalin surges and feeling very hung over till noon. Then in the afternoons I return to almost normal. It’s like clockwork in its predictability every day. I also get nausea, cold sweats and foggy brain which I know is WD. 
I’m waiting to stabilize before trying to taper much more slowly. 

I think you answered your next question, on whether this was side effects or WD here.  Good to trust your inner voice on this.  And this sounds so predictably like WD to me, as well.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

And then, withdrawal symptoms generally go away, while side effects would persist.  So that improvement sounds just wonderful.

And hoping that these topics will speak a bit more to you, around some of your WD symptoms too:

Managing the the morning cortisol spike

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

and sometimes this one can be both a side effect, and a WD symptom too.  How crazy is that

And I think that your HOLDING now is a great idea, and with the anticipation that symptoms will continue to improve, or a least you'll begin to experience some good windows.

And so hoping that you get some input from others as well, right here, Cat416.   You may want to visit and support others here too, when you feel up to that.  

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I’m very grateful for that. It’s good to feel that I am not alone in this chaos. SA’s material is excellent. I’m very appreciative of you and other moderators. 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

Hi there. My psych suggested Propranolol to help with my withdrawal from Seroquel. I have Tachycardia from it. I’m getting side effects though with dry eyes and nausea with cold hands and feet even though it has helped my cardiac issues. I’m on 15mg a day. I’ve tried searching the files on Propranolol WD but not finding much. Can you help me understand how to get off this drug? I am currently in WD from Seroquel reduction. Thank you 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA.  Before creating a new topic, please check first to see if there is already a discussion.

Use a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

There is a topic about propranolol as well as a tips for tapering it topic.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you Chessiecat. You are quite correct. I did manage to find it. It’s a thorough article. 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cat416,

On 2/8/2021 at 2:58 PM, Cat416 said:

Thank you Chessiecat. You are quite correct. I did manage to find it. It’s a thorough article. 

Tapering BetaBlockers or AlphaBlockers

is one of the topics we have got on it.

And then:

Beta Blockers: Propranolol, metapropol, atenolol, etc

And please just ask here too, Cat416.  You can ask in either topic too, but this helps to keep your information in one spot.

Would you add the propranolol to your signature:  Date started, name and dose of drug:  AccountSettings/signature

that should take you right there......and don't forget to hit save.

On 2/8/2021 at 8:19 AM, Cat416 said:

Hi there. My psych suggested Propranolol to help with my withdrawal from Seroquel. I have Tachycardia from it. I’m getting side effects though with dry eyes and nausea with cold hands and feet even though it has helped my cardiac issues. I’m on 15mg a day. I’ve tried searching the files on Propranolol WD but not finding much. Can you help me understand how to get off this drug? I am currently in WD from Seroquel reduction. Thank you 

And thanks for this ^.  So it has helped with your increased heart rate, that was WD induced? 

Are you sleeping okay post Seroquel?

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thanks ChessieCat

ive changed my signature to include Propranolol. It looks as though tapering is required but not quite as severe as the psych drugs. I have subsequently decided against tapering the Propranolol as I’m still tapering Seroquel 50mg. Tapering increases my heart rate so I thought it was best to leave it in place. 
since tapering Seroquel I’ve had very severe WD symptoms. Including restless sleep and sometimes total insomnia. 
I have realized that I’ve been in too much of a hurry with getting off these drugs in the past. I’m going to slow to a snails pace now that I’m at 50mg. Like half a mg per two weeks kind of thing. Only once I’ve stabilized my CNS. And who knows how long this will still take?

I’m hoping that an extremely slow taper of the Seroquel will help me avoid insomnia. 
My psych does not want to increase the Seroquel again because of the Tachycardia and the Akathisia. He lowers my Seroquel dose from 87.5 to 50 in order to get rid of the Akathisia and Tachycardia.

He may want to give be a Trazzadone but I’m avoiding it. Hoping that as the WD settles down my sleep will too. It may take me two years to get off the Seroquel at this rate.... but better than descending into chaos again and getting new drugs....

Thanks again for the input on the Propranolol. Will use it when I get there...

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cat416,

You may want to stick with a taper %, based on each previous dose, with your Seroquel.

Did you see the links to topics, that I sent, in this post:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/22650-cat416-neophyte-experience-with-medical-system/?do=findComment&comment=520400

And then always a good idea to check drug interactions here:  Drugs.com

Could you also add the date that you started the propranolol to your signature ?

We often advocate for non-drug coping for WD symptoms:

Some links to topics with information on WD and sleep, and restless sleep, and cortisol awakenings below, as well as some non-drug coping most of us begin to practice, and get real familiar with(or I did, and it certainly helped me avoid any more drugs, while healing):

SLEEP PROBLEMS

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

And best.  And good for you on avoiding trazodone.  You only really need to get your prescriptions from your doctor, or any doctor can do that for you.  If you are not being treated as an equal partner in your care, or being listened to........you can always shift doctors too.  Or try seeing someone without a prescription pad, in addition to your present provider.

Just saying.  Happy healing.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you ManyMoreTodays

sincerely appreciated. I think I will do a micro taper on the Seroquel. Will read all of these. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen the topic on Brass Monkey Slide

ChessieCat, this is EXACTLY the method I intend using for my Seroquel taper! Glad you underlined it. A confirmation for me 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

That's also the link to the topic Cat416.  Just click on it, and it will take you there.  B)❤️

Titled:  Seroquel Insomnia

Hi there

im seven weeks after a rapid taper from 87.5mg Seroquel to 50mg. WD symptoms are bad. Even seem to be ramping up. I’m having insomnia and my psych wants to put me onto Trazadonefir sleep. I want to avoid this. Should I just weather sleep difficulties rather than taking yet another drug?

Edited by manymoretodays
merged another Introduction topic, back to main Introduction

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Cat416 said:

Titled:  Seroquel Insomnia

Hi there

im seven weeks after a rapid taper from 87.5mg Seroquel to 50mg. WD symptoms are bad. Even seem to be ramping up. I’m having insomnia and my psych wants to put me onto Trazadonefir sleep. I want to avoid this. Should I just weather sleep difficulties rather than taking yet another drug?

Hello Cat416,

Just one Introduction per member please.  Merged you up again to your main Introduction.

You are welcome to post on existing topics, or start a new topic in other forums, IF you have not found a pre-existing topic that addresses your subject, or question.

To see what topics exist here, you can:

1. Go to the home page, and then go to some of the sub-forums.  If you go back through this topic, your Introduction, you'll see links to topics that are in those sub forums too.

or

2. Do a search from your main browser, your google or whatever, and type in survivingantidepressants.org followed by the topic/subject/etc. that you are asking about or looking for.  And then, sign in, if you want to comment on a topic, and do so, or ask.

So many great topics here, and non-drug coping ideas, and then also members experiences.  So make good use of it.

Are you still on the Lexapro 5 mg, or was that discontinued?  If so, when, and how did you taper it?

I left you some sleep tips above.  The links are the underlined words, and so one just clicks on them, to go to the topic.

I honestly don't think the Trazodone is a great idea.  Especially if your goal is to get drug free one day.

We often have to resort to lot's of non-drug coping when WD symptoms hit.  Insomnia is classic, as far as WD symptoms go.  And then it can lead to even more symptoms, certainly, if prolonged.  So yes, I weather the sleep difficulties rather than taking another drug.

How long have you had insomnia?  How much sleep do you get at night?

You might also begin to take charge and empower yourself too.  You can look up drugs at Drugs.com, read all about them, and their side effects, as well as check for interactions there with the other drugs that you are on.

Trazodone is nasty.  It interacts with many other drugs, and also once on it, for awhile, likely a month of usage, and you would then need to taper off it as well.

So welcome back to your Introduction page.  Please do make good use of the links and advice, support already given to you.  There's a lot right here.  And then when comfortable doing so, sometimes it can help a lot, to offer support to the other members too, and even see how they are coping with similar WD symptoms to yours.......just by reading sometimes, or posting on their Introductions.

And best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

@Cat416

Thank you ManyMoreDays. I get a bit confused as to how to intro a topic. I’m very familiar with the search function and have used it very effectively. I’ve seen the articles on sleep. You answered to question I was really asking: is it worth compromising and taking on Trazzadone in order to try and sleep while I taper Seroquel. Your straightforward response of no it’s not worth it as it introduces a new problem to have to deal with. I guess like so many before me I will have to put my big girl jeans on and accept that sleep disturbance during WD is a given and that it may take a long time to resolve naturally. 
I guess sleep problems can be a very existential fear. Like I’m going to die if I don’t sleep. But I guess the body has built in mechanisms to prevent death by insomnia. 
I am still on the 5mg Lexapro. Elected to taper the Seroquel first because it was giving me Akathisia and Tachycardia. Thankfully now with the substantially lowered dose I no longer have Akathisia. The lower dose along with 15mg of Propranolol has helped the Tachycardia significantly too. I tolerate Lexapro well so will keep it on board until the Seroquel is dealt with. I’m guessing it’s going to take two years to get this done. Don’t want to compound my problems by adding another drug.

I really like my Psychiatrist but with WD he does not offer much.... 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

Hi there

I need help. I’ve been in non stop WD for two months after reducing my Seroquel dose from 87.5mg to 50mg. My psych told me to reduce the Seroquel dose significantly because I was having Akathisia and fast heart rate. The drop in dose did sort these two issues out but now I’m suffering terrible WD. Hot flashes, pins & needles, insomnia, anxiety, chills, nausea, brain fog etc. 
Ive read a lot on here about reinstating at a very small dose. I’m concerned because I asked my psych about that and he said no because he is concerned about the Akathisia coming back. I did not discuss a very low dose with him though. At two months off am I too late to do this?

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Your doing fine Cat416.  My starting posts here were far worse than yours.....lol, I could barely put full sentences together.  And sometimes even now, my posts read kind of lamely.

Even though I can think again and type faster, I don't always get my grammar checked before posting.

Did we have you do an interactions check with your 3 drugs yet?

Would you do one and then copy and paste, or post a link to it?

Drug.com - Drug Interactions

Did the cardiologist or psychiatrist think that the Lexapro might have anything to do with the tachycardia? 

You can also check on drugs singularly at Drugs.com.  There is a top box where you type the name of the drug in, and then click, and it'll bring you to all kinds of information about a drug, and side effects.

I had psychiatrists that weren't too bad too.  I mean, I guess they were okay.......completely oblivious to what the drugs were doing to me though.  Oh, I had one who did therapy too.....even though I was too drugged up to benefit much from it.  And then she'd take personal phone calls during the visit too, and charge the outrageous fees.  I just had to co pay though, just a small portion of the cost.  Oh well.  Spent a fortune though, over time. 

On 2/14/2021 at 12:26 PM, Cat416 said:

Your straightforward response of no it’s not worth it as it introduces a new problem to have to deal with. I guess like so many before me I will have to put my big girl jeans on and accept that sleep disturbance during WD is a given and that it may take a long time to resolve naturally. 
I guess sleep problems can be a very existential fear. Like I’m going to die if I don’t sleep. But I guess the body has built in mechanisms to prevent death by insomnia. 

And I'm glad that helped then.  You don't necessarily have to just put on big girl jeans and tough it out though.  You got drug induced difficulties darn it, and WD! 

Sleep problems are tough.  I honestly did not have to deal with those too much, and I do sleep well today. 

Oh, sad, cynical laugh-  "death by insomnia"........ it's awful though, one can't really think straight without decent sleep.

Okay, and best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cat,

Please do not create any new Introduction topics.  Only 1 Introduction topic per member.  This keeps your history in one place and is the best place for you to ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

There have now been 6 new topics merged to your Introduction.  Please do not create any more.  Thank you.

Thanks ManyMoreTodays. Your encouragement appreciated. Cardiologist pointed to Seroquel (not Lexapro) for my heart trouble. 
Glad to hear you made it through and tgat sleep issues were not too horrible for you. Gives me hope!

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Cat416 said:

Hi there

I need help. I’ve been in non stop WD for two months after reducing my Seroquel dose from 87.5mg to 50mg. My psych told me to reduce the Seroquel dose significantly because I was having Akathisia and fast heart rate. The drop in dose did sort these two issues out but now I’m suffering terrible WD. Hot flashes, pins & needles, insomnia, anxiety, chills, nausea, brain fog etc. 
Ive read a lot on here about reinstating at a very small dose. I’m concerned because I asked my psych about that and he said no because he is concerned about the Akathisia coming back. I did not discuss a very low dose with him though. At two months off am I too late to do this?

Hi Cat416,

Sorry I had missed this post, as it was back in new Introductions again when I replied above.

I'm going to go ahead and ask for some more moderator input with this.

So do check on back, right here, on your thread.

I don't think you are too late to reinstate a little, but.......I would not want to risk your getting the heart or akathisia symptoms back either.

Plus, it's dicey, at 2 months out.  And it's Seroquel.

So stand by, so we can see what the others think.  You can check back, you don't have to stay on.....that wasn't worded so well. 

Thanks,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Thank you. I apparently keep introducing a new topic instead of continuing with my thread. Oops. Sorry 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Cat416, I just edited a bit into my last reply too.

• Moderator Emeritus
18 minutes ago, Cat416 said:

Thank you. I apparently keep introducing a new topic instead of continuing with my thread. Oops. Sorry 

You can follow and/or add it to favourites so you can find it again.  Then you scroll to the bottom of the page and type in the response box.

Hey ManyMoreTodays

i re-read your response and it seems two months reinstatement may be tricky. As well you said “It’s Seroquel”. Does this mean Seroquel is especially tricky with reinstatement?

im suffering badly with WD. I’m now going into my eighth week since I dropped that 43%. I guess I only have myself to blame. I knew about the 19% rule (especially after my previous WD experiences) but I chose to believe my Psych who wanted to drop the dose because of Akathisia and Tachycardia. 

im kinda feeling a bit desperate. To reinstate it not. But judging by the assessment referred to above, it’s probably best I don’t. I feel like this is going to take me months to recover....what if recovery takes six months or more? Do I just keep waiting before resuming any kind of taper? 
thanks for your support and encouragement 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Administrator

Hello, Cat. What times of day are you taking your drugs, with their dosages? Do you get the heart symptoms or other symptoms at any particular times of day? When are your symptoms better and worse?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Altostrata

the last two days I’ve made some recovery. However I am still very delicate. This may possibly be an indication to wait things out. 

I take 50mg Seroquel at 10:00pm.

I take 10mg Propranolol at 7:30 am

i take 5mg Lexapro at 8:30 am

I take 5mg Propranolol at 12:00 noon

for the last two months since my Seroquel drop from 87.5mg to 50mg I have felt as sick as a dog. Nausea, sleep interference, hot and cold sweats, brain sloshing, parathesia, anxiety, heavy hang over feeling. Most acute upon waking and then gradually fading by late afternoon. Over the last two or three days, my pattern has been the same except that my recovery comes much earlier. Yesterday at 11:00am. Today the intensity upon waking us less. I may simply be in a window. Time will tell. However I have not had any windows at all up until now so this is significant. I had this pattern before taking the Propranolol so I suspect the Seroquel is at work here.

My psych was reluctant to updose the Seroquel for fear of reigniting the Akathisia problem. He is also concerned about Tachycardia. So I’ve been struggling along trying to stabilize. 

it has occurred to me that I may also be experiencing side effects from the Propranolol so considering tapering off that before I resume tapering Seroquel. I’m leaving the Lexapro till last because I tolerate it well and the emphasis is on the Seroquel.  Although I guess I’m at a relatively low dose. 

so my plan is to drop the Propranolol over the next few months, then proceed to the Seroquel. Water taper using very small reductions. I may have to wait six weeks inbetween drops as I’ve noticed I still get strong reactions quite late. 

any insights into my approach very much appreciated. 

Lexapro July 2020 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/17/2021 at 10:50 AM, Cat416 said:

Hey ManyMoreTodays

i re-read your response and it seems two months reinstatement may be tricky. As well you said “It’s Seroquel”. Does this mean Seroquel is especially tricky with reinstatement?

im suffering badly with WD. I’m now going into my eighth week since I dropped that 43%. I guess I only have myself to blame. I knew about the 19% rule (especially after my previous WD experiences) but I chose to believe my Psych who wanted to drop the dose because of Akathisia and Tachycardia. 

im kinda feeling a bit desperate. To reinstate it not. But judging by the assessment referred to above, it’s probably best I don’t. I feel like this is going to take me months to recover....what if recovery takes six months or more? Do I just keep waiting before resuming any kind of taper? 
thanks for your support and encouragement 

Cat416,

I just want you to quit with the self blame.  Desperation can do that, but do take it easy on yourself.

Shame, guilt, regret and self criticism

You don't do well with AP's/neuroleptics/which are basically tranquilizers.  You did good to do a large reduction in the Seroquel, when akathisia, and heart problems began.

I don't doubt that you've got some WD going on too, of the more protracted nature, from your previous drugs given to try and treat benzo WD.  Some of those "Recovery Centers" are not real enlightened yet.  It's nice to get some respite, of course it is.  Often though, it's too short of a time period, in those Centers, and then it's using other drugs, and sending you on.  None of those other drugs have shown any long term benefit of real help with benzo WD, and sometimes just complicate things further.  All at a huge expense usually, both financially, and to the user of their services.  An unfortunate reality.  I just heard a term, which I like a lot called "Evidence based, harm reduction" for models of care, and treatment.

2 hours ago, Cat416 said:

it has occurred to me that I may also be experiencing side effects from the Propranolol so considering tapering off that before I resume tapering Seroquel. I’m leaving the Lexapro till last because I tolerate it well and the emphasis is on the Seroquel.  Although I guess I’m at a relatively low dose.

And thank you for attending to Alto's questions above.  You'll get some excellent input from Altostrata.

Let me have you go a bit further now, with the time noted on the left, and then once again, your drug(s) and dosages on the right, and then add in more times on the left, and then to the right, note your symptoms, and severity of, as they occur throughout the day and night.  This can be so valuable in seeing how your symptoms at present relate to your drug(s), and might make it clearer to you, and us too, as to how to proceed.

Keep daily notes of drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress

^ this will further explain, and you'll see in the quote box there a sample note.

And then post a couple days worth of 24 hour notes, for us, here.  They'll be useful for you too, to get into the habit of, or some form of these, over time to see progress, and get a better feel for what is doing what.

So please give it your best effort Cat416.  ❤️

Just one more thing I want you to do, and have asked a couple of times for.

That would be the DrugInteraction report.  And that is the link to yours, now.  Do look at it please.  And then if you can, copy and paste those results in a reply box too(since I already did the report for you) B)

Ordinarily, we'd have you begin a taper from the most accelerating drug first.  Which in your case, is the Lexapro.

The Seroquel is considered a brake, as it does slow one down a bit, and may even ease the WD process from the accelerator.

And then there is the more recent propranolol.  Which you might be able to get down to a lower dosage on, or perhaps taper off of.  Often lower doses will help a lot with side effects.  And of course propranolol, is not a typical psychotropic drug at all.  Seems like lately, I've seen other new members coming in on it, or having their doctors put them on it.  How old are you Cat416?  I mean if you don't mind saying.  The usual heart problems from drugs like yours are more of the conduction type, and I'm just interested in if you have an older heart, or a young persons heart.  Inquiring minds, eh?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which one to taper first?

Meantime, hold tight, or just HOLD, as you have had so many notable improvements........which is great!!!

And okay, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
asked for Notes, with link