Londoner: any help would be much appreciated

Londoner

Yes.  Yes and yes.  It is normal to be incapable of seeing out just as you describe.  Absolutely.  

Your situation does not compare to mine because I had a kindling issue going on for months and months after I quit ADs and Xanax in the month of December.  I believed I had avoided Xanax dependency.  It was easy to quit.  I felt very good for a couple of weeks afterward.   Then, due to insomnia, I was prescribed Trazodone.  I found SA about 5 or 6 months after I quit Trazodone.  I had quit T in the month of February.  It took me ages to understand the information here.  My brain did not work and nothing made sense to me.  I had a glass of wine with dinner, or a cocktail at a party, sometimes without understanding that alcohol would drive my body deeper and deeper into dysautonomia (withdrawal syndrome.)  So, having my worst month be November makes sense if I was kindling my system with alcohol — even just one glass of wine with a meal once a month can kindle a sensitive nervous system.  There is no need to be intoxicated or tipsy — the simple act of drink the glass will upset the nervous system more.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Londoner said:

This is what's so scary about this syndrome. When I'm in the depths of it, I simply can't see out. I don't know if others have an easier time of 'seeing out' of the fog but for me, in the last 3 months, I have proved time and time again that I am incapable of reasoning with my withdrawal brain. My only option seems to be to cling on and try to prevent suicide. I will need it for tomorrow.

Does it get easier to 'see out' of a wave as time goes on? Is it normal to be incapable of it to this extent?

This is very normal in withdrawal. Very common phenom actually. When you're in it, it feels just like it's a true fact that "you have never felt good, you will never feel good, this is all you will get forever."  You literally can't remember a different reality. It's like this black hole that sucks up all the light and you can't see out of it when you're in it.

But it always passes, at first not for as long or as often as we would like, but as time and healing goes along you get more and more time out of the hole until being out of the hole becomes the normal and being in it is the exception.

It's actually just another symptom of WD, another neuro-emotion if you will, but it's super frustrating and scary and weird because your brain is just convinced that it's true! Until it's not, and then you can see it.

The only suggestion I have is to keep journaling, like here in your thread or elsewhere, so that maybe you will see that sometimes you actually said, yourself, that things were better. And keep reaching out for support and sharing. You are not alone. You are doing exactly what needs to be done. Cling on. Hang on by your fingernails. Stay alive. Hang. In. There. It will be worth it.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Londoner, sorry it took me so long to reply. I’ve been so busy and the stress really affects me. 

there is no pill to heal your brain. 

your brain is healing and the changes in your symptoms  are exactly how mine were. Your windows get longer, and longer. For me the waves only easier, that’s the hard part. But your windows getting longer are the key. 

this will continue for the next 2 years as you keep healing. Don’t sabotage this healing by trying meds or supplements. 

I am now able to take fish oil and vitamin d. 

before I couldn’t. 

I used Benadryl in emergency situations early on, others have done this too with bad results. So be leery of trying this. It only helped for about 2 hours and it never made the aka go away. 

keep pushing, use your spirituality or faith right now and just distract yourself. Normally I wouldn’t say that because in a he always brain meditation  and mindfulness can be helpful, but not where you are right now. That probably won’t help. 

eat your favorite foods. Get enjoyment out of food that you love, that can help distract….listen to tv shows that play laugh tracks in the background, color, do puzzles, play silly video games, or watch small videos on YouTube. All day every day all I did was watch some guy put doll houses together. They weren’t very long so I could pay attention. I also watched asmr videos of a lady folding towles very gently, that helped a lot. 

and reading success stories on here - I did that for hours and hours. Read success stories please, they help give you hope. 

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

Thanks so much for all of your posts and advice. I can't tell you how much it means to me. I am really being pummelled and I have a lot of fear that this just isn't possible for me. Even if I don't respond, please know how much your words of encouragement and reassurance mean to me.

In summary, cycled through a number of SSRI/SNRI medications in 2010, stayed on 100mg Sertraline for 5 years followed by 5 years on 200mg.

Valium started in 2011-2018 up to doses of 16mg. Tapered off slowly over years. Difficult to distinguish withdrawal symptoms from the symptoms I was already experiencing due to Sertraline tolerance withdrawal

Briefly tried Lamotrigine and Bupropion in 2020.

Started withdrawing from Sertraline in August 2020. Came down by 50mg every 2-3 weeks. Med free since mid Sept 2020.

3 April 2021 - reinstated 1mg Sertraline, April 13th increased dose to 2mg Sertraline, April 16th increased to 5mg for one day. Stopped reinstatement on 19th April.

Main symptoms as of Nov 2020: Chronic headaches accompanied by feelings of deep despair, stomach ache/nausea, brain fog and memory issues, disturbed circadian rhythm.

End March 2021 symptoms: Extreme suicidal akathisia and restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, morning surges of panic, panic throughout the day. Unbearable.

April - suicidal akathisia, cortisol surges through the night, insomnia, shaking, GI issues

Supplements: Melatonin 2.5mg a night

• Administrator

If you look at our Success Stories, and then go back and read the associated Introductions topics, you'll see many people posting about their worries they will never recover. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a contact address for Stuart Shipko? I am desperate and on the verge of dying

In summary, cycled through a number of SSRI/SNRI medications in 2010, stayed on 100mg Sertraline for 5 years followed by 5 years on 200mg.

Valium started in 2011-2018 up to doses of 16mg. Tapered off slowly over years. Difficult to distinguish withdrawal symptoms from the symptoms I was already experiencing due to Sertraline tolerance withdrawal

Started withdrawing from Sertraline in August 2020. Came down by 50mg every 2-3 weeks. Med free since mid Sept 2020.

3 April 2021 - reinstated 1mg Sertraline, April 13th increased dose to 2mg Sertraline, April 16th increased to 5mg for one day. Stopped reinstatement on 19th April.

Main symptoms as of Nov 2020: Chronic headaches accompanied by feelings of deep despair, stomach ache/nausea, brain fog and memory issues, disturbed circadian rhythm.

End March 2021 symptoms: Extreme suicidal akathisia and restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, morning surges of panic, panic throughout the day. Unbearable.

April - suicidal akathisia, cortisol surges through the night, insomnia, shaking, GI issues

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Londoner,

On 7/12/2021 at 12:43 AM, Londoner said:

Does anyone have a contact address for Stuart Shipko? I am desperate and on the verge of dying

My understanding is that Dr. Shipko has retired from practice.

I don't know if you follow the MadInAmerica site much, there is even a UK version.

I'll link you up to the US site map:  https://www.madinamerica.com/sitemap/

If you scroll down you'll find a link to the UK version, as well as a provider directory.

Happy to hold your hand, whenever.   Sounds awful.  Are you pacing non-stop or is it just the constant obsessive thinking going on.  How's your support system on the ground?   Any practical, loving kind support that you can find will be invaluable, and sometimes we find that in ourselves as well.  That quiet still voice that says, "keep going, keep trying, I'm here for you, you can get through this, and anything now".

Eat, sleep, distract, change the channel, and just frankly........hang on!

And just in case there is something here that resonates:
For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

The first post there is well worth a read, and then you might find what's been gathered up for the UK.  I've heard the Good Samaritans are great listeners.  No experience using myself, as I'm a master at coping now.  Working on building up my own life too, at this time.

Okay, and best.  Pulling for you.......to ride it out.  It's well worth it to do so.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi, Londoner.  You are not alone, although I have been dealing with my own stuff recently, and I didn’t see your post two days ago.  What’s going on?

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thanks @manymoretodays and @Rosetta. Your support means so much to me.

I don't pace that much but a bit when distressed. It doesn't help at all because the vast majority is mental torment. Appalling mental torment. I am very frightened because the last two months in particular I have had very intense suicidal urges. Not just thoughts. Baylissa Fredericks is helping me but I feel certain that this withdrawal is going to take my life. I have SI/urges pretty much everyday. It's so difficult because I find it near impossible to distract from. 

Tomorrow is my 10 months off. I don't know what to do. I know there is nothing that can help me (meds/ECT) but that just adds to my sense that death is the only way.

I thought perhaps that Dr Shipko may have some experience with people in my situation and be able to offer some advice. I have briefly emailed with David Healy. He suggested red wine and exercise for akathisia. Exercise is out when I am in that much distress and when I am not, I have a lot of fatigue and over exertion worsens my symptoms. I'm not sure about the red wine either.

I have been reading threads desperately searching for answers. @Carmie and @Fresh both had suicidal akathisia and were helped by medication/hospital stays. I am desperate but also terrified to even try anything.

I keep reading Rosetta's thread because my symptoms are similar and it gives me hope that she survived and that her acute period lasted 4 months and then she saw some improvement. But I also think that her symptoms were predominantly on the anxiety side whereas my akathisia of the mind is very much on the hopelessness/depression and intense suicidal. How am I going to survive? Rosetta, were your suicidal thoughts overwhelming or were you able to access some reason whilst you were experiencing them? I am in agony a lot of the time.

The SI was extremely intense for me.  Aka would build up and build up, then peak, and slowly recede.  This happened over and over.  It was very difficult to live through, but I refused to give up, I suppose.  I lived in fear of the next episode, and I felt despondent at the thought of the condition happening over and over.  Eventually, aka lessened in frequency, intensity and duration.  It continued to lessen more and more until it became so infrequent that I felt hope for its disappearance.  It almost never happens now, and it’s tolerable.  It will disappear, Londoner.  You have to outlive it.

I do not like the idea of drinking red wine.  Alcohol kindles the nervous system.  My experience was that an occasional glass of white wine seemed to prolong paws for me.  Granted, it was not red wine, and it was a wine glass full.  Perhaps there is a reason Healy recommends red.  I know doctors prescribe benzos for aka.  Alcohol has a similar effect.  If you try it, drink only two or three sips, not a whole glass.  However, do you think you are having aka WHEN you feel SI?  Or do you think that after the aka peaks you feel deeply depressed?  (Or both.)

Definitely, I would not drink red wine if SI is occurring after aka has peaked and you are feeling depressed.  After each time aka peaked, I fell into a deep emotional trough.  I had been drained.  At times, during this “hangover” type of reaction, I felt so hopeless, but the SI was of a different sort.  It wasn’t the “jump off the 10th floor to escape the building on fire” type of SI.  It was the depression, hopelessness, “I can’t go through that again” type.  I feel that any alcohol at that time would a big mistake.  The purpose of the sedative effect of either benzos or alcohol is to calm the system in acute aka.  I was not in acute aka while in the trough.  I did not need to go further “down,” and there would be no benefit to offset the risk of prolonging paws via kindling.

Does that make any sense?  Another problem is that you can’t drink sips of red wine every day or every time you feel you need it.  You will have to suffer through some of the aka without it.  It’s very hard to know when aka has peaked until after it has done so.  I could never tell when it would lessen, and it lessened so slightly moment by moment.  Usually, I would fall asleep at night, and it would be gone in the morning.  However, if I could not fall asleep that might have been an indication that it was not on the downhill side.

So, you don’t want to irritate or kindle your system with wine too often by using it every time you feel the panicky, jump out of your skin type of SI.  If you decide to follow Healy’s advice, you will have to ration the wine, both in quantity and frequency.  That may be hard to do if an entire bottle is sitting there and you feel the terror of aka.  

I wish I could snap my fingers and make it better for you.  Please know that you can live through this.  It feels that you can’t, but I’m proof.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thanks so much @Rosetta. That's very good advice. I'm too nervous to try the wine. You describe very accurately the type of SI I have been getting. A lot of the hopelessness and despair. It's like the first two month I had the panicky/adrenaline aka symptoms and the past two months have been the hopelessness and deep SI. It's very scary.

I spoke to Dr Shipko yesterday and he outlined the medication options for akathisia. I already knew them of course; reinstatement of Sertraline or benzos. As you may have read, he is quite an advocate for benzo treatment of aka and is very pessimistic about people who just stick it out without meds.

It's sent me through a loop a bit because in my heart I know that neither reinstatement nor benzos will work for me. Sertraline stopped working for me a long time ago and benzos are too dangerous in terms of tolerance and paradoxical reactions.

The reason it is such an impossible decision is that I feel that this withdrawal will take my life and I'm so scared. Did you feel that way? If so, did you get to a point where you no longer feared for your life? I think I am in my acute right now, at least I hope this is as bad as it gets. Its a very similar timeframe as your acute and many others. Acute started at 6/ 6.5 months and today is 10 months free and I pray that it lets up soon.

Londoner I don’t have any advice for you as I’m needing it myself but I do know the pain your in. Please know your not alone in this journey and everyone dose heal eventually, you just have to hold onto that hope. When we’re feeling desperate we will try anything but sometimes nothing is the best way. Have a look at inner compass on Facebook , there’s an interview with Chris Paige that is worth watching, he has aka and has healed . @Rosetta had come along way from were she started and in an inspiration 
Just remember that being on that drug for so long then coming off it like you did is no wonder you feel the way you do and time heals . Healing will happen but unfortunately we have to go through it and there’s no quick fix. We are here to support each other because we only now what it’s like. Sending you a big hug 🫂 

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

@Londoner

i wanted to reach out to you just to tell you I’m thinking about you. 
I’m going through 100% of what your dealing with and it’s brutal. Akathesia and suicidal thoughts are the absolute worst nightmare. I deal with it daily then the crash into suicidal depression which is almost as bad. I’ve been reading this thread and getting hope from the responses I see from @Rosetta as well as everyone else

i pray for you and us all

• 5-28-20 given cymbalta. Had bad reaction. Stopped immediately. 
  • 6-20-20 stopped vicodin after 5 years. Suffered akathesia. 
  • 7-20-20 to 11-13-20 mirtazapine. On 7.5 tapered for 8 weeks  jumped off at 1.5
  • 11/20 to Feb 3. .25 klonopin, tapered 4 weeks. Jumped off at .0935
  • present - med free. Still suffering from akathesia, insomnia,depression and anxiety
  • melatonin 1mg. Magnesium 400mg daily
  • Vicodin one week. Stopped 12-5-21
  • temezapam prn 
  • sonata sleeping pill. Prn 
  • tried kratom for one week
  • 1-15-22 - symptoms - visual issues, dizziness, severe brain fog, suicidal ideations

Hi @Shellbell,I'm so sorry to hear of your suffering. Hang in there.

Apart from the wonderful support I receive from Rosetta and this site, the thing that has helped me most is to sign up to Baylissa Fredericks website (https://baylissa.com) and utilise the withdrawal resources on there. Given that you also find counselling helpful, I would highly recommend booking a consultation with Baylissa to discuss the problems you are having. She has experienced withdrawal herself and I don't think there is anyone more skilled in understanding the difficulties we face and supporting us. She really is incredible. If you're looking for some hope, along with the success stories, you could read Baylissa's books 'With Hope in my Heart' and 'Recovery and Renewal'.

It's very encouraging that you are able to work. Please do look into the above, I really think they'll help you.

Also, if you are due to have more surgery, one of the more knowledgable posters may be able to advise you on drugs etc to avoid. Take care and take it minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear @Londoner, I just wanted to drop by and tell you that I am very impressed about how you are handling things. You seem like you are really pulling through.

I am in a similar space with suicidal akathisia and I have to admit I am handling it with a lot less grace. You are an inspiration 🙂

I really hope you will feel better soon. 

We will survive this!

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

Londoner,

I’m thinking of you.  I’m also very intrigued by Dr. Shipko’s opinion about aka and benzos.  Two major, major problems with benzos is that doctors prescribe them in doses that further irritate the nervous system AND they prescribe them PRN which means “as needed.”  If one has aka they are always “needed.”  Most of the time, there is not much more direction or education about them given to a patient.

I assume Shipko would not do that.  When you feel you can, is there anything more you have to add?  Did he say what the dose would be?

I was prescribed Xanax, and I was aware it was dangerous.  I knew it was addictive.  I took far less than prescribed in dose, but I was unaware of the limits on frequency that are needed to avoid addiction.  If you try it, please know that it can take up to 4 days to clear from the system, depending on the person.  How being in WD affects this rate, I don’t know.  You need to be without the drug for a period of time in between.  **Other benzos have different time periods.** You will need to check info on the drug.  Double the maximum half life is the number you need to know.

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Did @Iggy131313 recover?

@Neon and @Rosetta, so sorry I didn't see your posts till now.

Hi Neon, I've just seen your thread. So sorry you're having such a rough time. I know the feeling. Grace? That's very kind of you but believe me, my life has been grace free the past 4 months.  I guess we all just have to do what we have to do to survive.

The akathisia and restlessness are torture. I hope you find some stability soon. Feel free to contact me. Perhaps we can support each other.

@Rosetta, thanks so much for your insight and advice as always. I'm too scared to even consider a Benzo right now. So I'm trying to hold out. xx

Okay, so I am not the only one who has lost all her ability to gracefully handle this situation 🙂  

I am so sorry you are going through this too, I wouldnt wish it on anyone in the world. We will manage, we have to!

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 11:44 AM, Londoner said:

I'm too scared to even consider a Benzo right now. So I'm trying to hold out. xx

@Londoner, hi Londoner, I used to have what I thought was aka (don't have it now, it seems to have been a side effect from starting an SSRI). I did research on what can help it, and apparently the beta blocker (ie, propranolol) is the first line of treatment. Please consider giving it a shot if you haven't already. I by no means promote beta blockers but according to what I understand, they are much safer compared to benzos. It seems like you are suffering with aka a lot for quite a while, so it may be worth at least a consideration. Sending the best wishes of healing your way!

My thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24990-surviving82-my-story-wd-from-antidepressants-please-help/

2016-2017: sertraline for approx. 1.5 years for anxiety and OCD outbreak following birth of my son (all the way from 2mg to 200mg), rapid tapered from 150mg for about 6 weeks without issues. Approximately 2 years psych drug free.

Nov 2019 - Feb 2020: fluvoxamine to prevent anxiety/OCD outbreak following birth of my daughter. Had to go off due to constant somnolence.

Feb 2020 - Dec 2020: started escitalopram while rapid tapering fluvoxamine. After 9 months decided to get off due to weight gain, rapid tapered from [I think] 15mg for about 6 weeks without immediate issues.

March-April 2021: started excessive strenuous exercise and dieting regimen for weight loss. Was doing great (or so I thought) for 3 weeks until early April 2021 when out of nowhere massive panic attacks, other dysautonomia symptoms. AWFUL CRASH.   

Mid-April 2021: fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week then 20mg for 1 week. Massive side effects, suicidality. Was told to go CT. Side effects gradually started resolving.

Mid-Late May 2021: sertraline for 11 days, fine at low doses but same side effects as prozac at 25 to 50mg. Was told to either drop CT or hold at 1/4 of a 25mg pill. 

April-May 2021: trazodone 50mg PRN for sleep. Do not take every day, the only side effect I noticed is dry mouth.

June 8, 2021: stopped all psych meds. Truing to trust that with God's help, my body will heal on its own. 

September 9, 2021: reinstated escitalopram 1mg. Gradually worked up to 2.5mg by September 30. Reinstatement seems to be helping!

Other: Hashimoto thyroiditis for 11 years (on levothyroxine varying doses, between 88mcg and 125mcg), history of anxiety/GAD including health anxiety, OCD. History of autonomic dysfunction (migraines, vasovagal episodes).

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone who has been on the site a very long time or even when Paxil Progress was going, do the vast majority of people recover to a great extent? Why aren't there more success stories? There seem to be loads of detailed ones on Benzo Buddies but far fewer on SA and PP. A lot of the experienced people say 'everyone recovers', e.g. Baylissa, Una Corbett, Ian Singleton etc, is the on the whole true? The idea of doing this for 10 years is unimaginable

• 1 month later...

@Londoner Hi Londoner,

How are you doing?  I’m sorry no one answered your last question.  I wish I had seen it.  

When you don’t get an answer you can post a new message that says “Bump,” and your thread will go to the top of the list again.  Eventually, someone will click on it.

Another thing that helps is to write some sort of supportive message on someone else’s thread and that person (or some one who saw you wrote that post) may recognize your name when it pops up on the list.

I feel the everyone recovers if do not irritate the nervous system in some way.  Some people have unavoidable stressors in their lives that impede their recoveries, some people try new drugs in doses that re-injure them, and some people have emergencies such as surgeries or accidents and are given drugs that harm them.  

I don’t know why more people post success stories on BB than here.  I can guess.  Benzo recovery is a long road, but perhaps tapering benzos is something doctors understand, and people have more cooperation when trying to get appropriate doses?  There is far more literature for doctors regarding benzo tapering because Dr. Heather Ashton wrote a protocol.  The protocol is a bit outdated now, but it works until the low doses.  (At that point, her protocol suggests jumping off at a much higher dose than is advisable — just in case you ever take Valium again.)

We don’t have many doctors who believe in tapering antidepressants.  There is no manual or book about it written by a doctor.  Perhaps the successes are fewer because it takes a very long time to taper off antidepressants while struggling to get prescriptions and having various setbacks.

A CT, like I did, takes quite a while to heal.  I have seen many people say that not many people who are survivors want to re-live their story in order to write a success story.

I hope you are doing all right?

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thanks so much for your lovely post and reassurance Rosetta. I'm significantly better than I was several months ago but still every day is a big struggle. As you know, I struggle badly with suicidal thoughts. It's one of my core symptoms it seems. I often go back to that wonderful post you wrote about not giving in to suicidal thoughts. It's just so incredibly hard to see through the dark depression though. I find that when I'm in that state, even reading positive things and success stories, that encourage me usually, cannot penetrate the black depths.

I know you still struggle but you have come a long way on the road to recovery. Does it all seem worth it at some point? After 3 years do the symptoms become relatively bearable? I'm at 13.5 months and the road ahead is very daunting.

Thanks again for everything.

Hi @Londoner I feel exactly what you feel. I have been off meds for almost 2 years now.It's still hell for me and I just can't think of the future.For me it's just surviving one day at a time. I have my doubts as well since in fact there are no scientific studies showing exactly how these drugs change the brain. Anyway,since you're in the UK,you have reasons to be hopeful since there are people there working hard to make this problem visible so that patients can get an adequate support from mental health services.I don't know what else to say here.I believe that Rosetta s post was more concise and detailed than mine.Hope you get through this tough times and find some additional support.

Hi.sorry but my computer is too old.not working properly.I can only write from my phone.nevertheless i do not have drugs to list.only paroxetine.20 mg from 2009 to 2019.10 mg during 2019.sleeping pills for over 20 years.stopped everything december 2019.no drugs since then.forced cold turkey from december 2019.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/15/2021 at 7:18 AM, Londoner said:

Why aren't there more success stories? There seem to be loads of detailed ones on Benzo Buddies but far fewer on SA and PP.

Benzo Buddies is a more social site than SA.

We have had other members ask the same question about why there are not many success stories.

Sick people don't need a doctor.

A sick person might need to go to the hospital.  Once a person is recovering/recovered they leave the hospital.  They don't stay in the hospital when they are recovering/recovered, and they don't return to the hospital, unless for a check up.

And what do they do once they are feeling improved or recovered, they get on with their lives.  The hospital visit is in the background, it is part of their history.

We are very fortunate that SA has members who have returned to write their success stories.  Some members have stated, when they come back, that they had forgotten about SA and one day something reminded them of it and they thought that they would drop in and give an update.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

BenzoBuddies is larger and older than SA.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

That is really great news that you feel significantly better than a few months ago! Wonderful.

Yes, you will start to be able to del hope even in the middle of a wave.  The symptoms become less severe slowly over time, so slowly that it is not posible to perceive in real time.  That is why some sort of journaling is very helpful.  You can look back and see how much you have improved over a few months.  

There odd outliers in term of waves that are worse than usual.  Don’t let those get you down. They make people feel that they have lost all ground, but the baseline after a hard wave is usually much better than before the wave.  You have that to look forward to.

Its hard when every day is a struggle.  Very hard.  As long as you do not re-injure your nervous system you should see an overall improvement, and at the three year point, yes, it is bearable if not better than bearable.  Some people feel healed completely in between their waves.

Hang in there!

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of you, Londoner.  I hope you are ok. -Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Londoner I would like to share my suggestions here. I'm off Sertraline for almost 4 years now. From my experience I can assure you that symptoms of restlessness subside with the passage of time following the withdrawal. Yoga helps a lot to relieve the symptoms. To deal with suicidal thoughts or anxiety and depression, you may start practising mindfulness meditation. It has to be practised following the proper method to reap the benefits. It has certainly helped me.

I was on Sertraline 100 mg from 20-01-2010 to 11-01-2018.

I am off Sertraline now. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Londoner how are you? I came across your thread.

I suppose to give some comfort. I am fighting all of this also. 

I dont know if it helps but just to give comfort that someone is in your situation as sometimes it feels very lonely.

Lexapro 10mg - 30th august 2021 - Adverse reaction

Amitriptyline - 10mg - 7th September - 30th sep 4 weeks

Amitriptyline 5mg -28th sep - 5th oct 

0mg ever since the 5th oct

12th oct - 1 amoxcillin and 2

metronidazole

Makes it 5 weeks 0mg so far

• 6 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 11:40 PM, Rhiannon said:

This is very normal in withdrawal. Very common phenom actually. When you're in it, it feels just like it's a true fact that "you have never felt good, you will never feel good, this is all you will get forever."  You literally can't remember a different reality. It's like this black hole that sucks up all the light and you can't see out of it when you're in it.

But it always passes, at first not for as long or as often as we would like, but as time and healing goes along you get more and more time out of the hole until being out of the hole becomes the normal and being in it is the exception.

It's actually just another symptom of WD, another neuro-emotion if you will, but it's super frustrating and scary and weird because your brain is just convinced that it's true! Until it's not, and then you can see it.

The only suggestion I have is to keep journaling, like here in your thread or elsewhere, so that maybe you will see that sometimes you actually said, yourself, that things were better. And keep reaching out for support and sharing. You are not alone. You are doing exactly what needs to be done. Cling on. Hang on by your fingernails. Stay alive. Hang. In. There. It will be worth it.

Came across this thread searching for help with blocked sinus and headache problems after coming off mirtazapine, stumbled across this comment. This has given me so much hope and made me feel like I'm not alone in feeling this way. Thank you 

2012 - Fluoxetine 10mg. 10mg --> 20mg soon after 

2017 - direct switch from Fluoxetine 20mg --> Citalopram 20mg. 20mg -->30mg soon after.

2017 - addition of Pregabalin 50mg daily, stopped a year later in 2018. 

December 2021 - citalopram 30mg --> 40mg, 4 week updose taper. 

18th Feb 2022 - citalopram 40mg --> 30mg (due to side effects) 

30th March 2022 - citalopram 30mg-->25mg (rec by doctor, in order to ultimately reduce citalopram and switch medications). 

24th April - 30mg-->20mg. Side effects. 30th May - 20mg-->15mg. Side effects. 9th June - 15mg->10mg. 11th June - 10mg->15mg.

15th June - Addition of 7.5mg Mirtazapine. 20th June - stopped mirtazapine (bad side effects). 

11th June to 5th August - citalopram 15mg hold. 6th August - 15mg --> 16.5mg (to try and alleviate acute WDsymptoms)

Currently - on 16.5 mg citalopram. 

Supplements - 250mg Vitamin C daily