JolieCA: tapering citalopram, gabapentin and Zyprexa

JolieCA

Hi All,

Just creating a post so I have a log for my tapers.  So far it is going well, no withdrawal symptoms to report.  I am feeling better and more alive than I have in a long time.  😊

Jolie

Wellbutrin XL Started in 2016: 150mg < Aug 2020: 300mg

Citalopram   Started Jan 2019:  40mg

Latuda  Started May 2021: 60mg

Clonazepam 2012-2019: 0mg completed Ashton Protocol taper 🙂😀

Gabapentin  2020-2021: 0mg completed 90 day tapper in March 2021

Supplements: Multi-Vitamin, Fish Oil, Inositol

• ChessieCat changed the title to JolieCA: tapering citalopram, gabapentin and Zyprexa
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, JolieCA.  Thank you for completing your signature.  Please include the rate at which you're tapering.  

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Based on your signature, you are tapering three drugs now.  We recommend tapering only one drug at a time.  Otherwise, if problems or withdrawal symptoms occur you won't know which drug taper is the cause.  I'm glad you haven't experienced withdrawal symptoms, but sometimes these can be delayed.  We recommend tapering the most activating drug first, known as an accelerator, leaving the more sedating drugs, knows as brakes, to be tapered later to help preserve sleep.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Od the drugs you're tapering, the most activating is the SSRI, Citalopram.  The more sedating are the Gabapentin and the antipsychotic, Zyprexa.  Our recommendation would be to stop the Gabapentin and Zyprexa tapers and continue with the Citalopram taper.  Once you've finished with the Citalopram, you could resume tapering one of the other two drugs remaining.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four months.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You're tapering the the Citalopram and Gabapentin somewhat faster than our recommended rate and the Olanzapine faster than the other two. Our recommendation would be to reduce the rate of your Citalopram taper to 10% every four weeks.  The following link is specifically about tapering Citalopram, including how to get the nonstandard does needed for a 10% taper.

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can add your taper rates to your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for the advice Gridley.    I am feeling good with the reductions I made so far, but will read the links you included before I decided what to do next.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is a list of common withdrawal symptoms.  They are many and varied.  You may be experiencing withdrawal symptoms which you do not realise have been caused by your tapering.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

SA suggests that members listen to their body/symptoms and throw out the calendar.  The aim is to get off the drugs with minimal discomfort, ie a harm reduction method.  It is better to go slower than to go too fast and risk getting bad withdrawal symptoms.  We have members here who have tried to go too fast and it has ended up taking longer to get off their drug/s than if they had done a nice and steady taper.  Some have ended up on additional drug/s which will then need to be tapered.  Once you experience bad withdrawal symptoms it may take many months to stabilise and some members don't get back to being as stable as they were before the bad withdrawal symptoms.

Stability

WDnormal

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks ChessieCat, I appreciate the additional resources.  I have a lot of reading to do before I decided next steps. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You are very welcome.  Please continue to let us know how you are.  If you start getting withdrawal symptoms please let us know straight away.

I suggest that if you start getting withdrawal symptoms that you do not increase the dose of any of your drugs but post letting us know so that we can make a suggestion about what you might do.  So that you can be prepared we will need you to post 3 consecutive days of daily symptom notes to assess your situation.  This is what we will need:

Keep Notes on Paper 

SA strongly encourages members to learn and use:

Non-drug techniques to cope

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Just a quick update:

I have decided to continue reducing my Olanzapine and Citalopram because I feel over medicated, tired all the time and cognitively impaired. I need my brain back, as I must return to work in January, for financial reasons. I have stopped Olanzapine in the past with no troubles.  I am also currently in a DBT group and I practice mindfulness, both of which have been incredibly helpful.  I feel I have the support I need to manage my rapid taper of these two medications. 

I have also decided to stop tapering the Gabapentin for now. I take Gabapentin to manage nerve pain and since reducing it, my pain has returned. It works really well at reliving my pain, so much so that I do not need any other medication for pain.  I increased back to 1200mg because 900mg was not enough to keep pain away. I plan to hold at 1200mg for a few days and see how my pain is managed. If pain does not improve I will reinstate 1800mg.

Other than the pain issue, I am not experiencing any negative withdrawal symptoms. I have noticed an increase in my energy and a improvement in my cognition. 

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, JolieCA said:

I have stopped Olanzapine in the past with no troubles.

Please note that just because you had no troubles in the past with stopping olanzapine does not mean that will be the same this time because the effect of going on and off different drugs and up and down in doses has a cumulative effect on the nervous system.

thanks for the advice ChessieCat, I will keep this in mind as I taper. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's important to have a gently gently approach and not be gung ho about it.

What does 'Slowly, slowly catchy monkey' mean? - Idiom ...

Also used as "Softly, softly, catchee monkey", this old Engllish proverb means that if do not rush or if you avoid being too hasty, then eventually you will achieve your goal - in other words, be patient.

Gung Ho | Definition of Gung Ho by Merriam-Webster

Gung ho definition is - extremely or overly zealous or enthusiastic.

Edited by ChessieCat

Hi ChessieCat, thanks for all the advice about taking a gentle slow approach to tapering. 

Update on my Taper

I started to experience some mild withdrawal symptoms:   Electric zap-like sensations in brain, Electric shock-like sensations in body, and tingling in face especially behind my eyes. I know this is because I reduced my Citalopram too quickly. Also, I found it difficult to cut up the tablets accurately. I only have 40mg tablets and they crumble when cut. So I decided to pause my Citalopram taper at 20mg until I complete my Olanzapine taper.   I am not distressed about the withdrawal symptoms as I know they are temporary. And when I am ready to continue tapering Citalopram I will get lower dose tablets from pharmacist.   

So for now I will continue with just the Olanzapine taper, as this medication causes me the most unwanted side effects. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The zap sensations are a good indication that your nervous system is not happy.  My suggestion would be to stop tapering ALL drugs at this time and wait for at least 2 months and then reassess.

4 hours ago, JolieCA said:

I know this is because I reduced my Citalopram too quickly. Also, I found it difficult to cut up the tablets accurately. I only have 40mg tablets and they crumble when cut.

It is possible to make a liquid with citalopram tablets.  See this post:

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

Appreciate the recommendation ChessieCat.  I am going to take your advice and pause my taper, to allow my nervous system time to adjust. I will post an update once things settle down.🙃🙂