Yesyes123: Will I ever be able to quit Lexapro?

Yesyes123

Hi @Yesyes123

I am happy to hear that you are starting to stabilize and feeling a bit better. 

And are already implementing all the great advice. You are getting some really great support and I am sure you will make it.

PS I take 500mg MagnesiumCitrate and dont have runny poo, so it works for me 🙂

PPS @JanCarol that was a beautiful post and it was very inspiring to me and gave me a lot of hope even thought it wasnt even addressed to me (I hope it is okay I hijack this thread to tell you that, if not I can of course edit and delete this part, hope you dont mind yesyes)

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

• Mentor

@Neon,

I am super happy to learn you found inspiration here in my topic. We are all in this together.

@JanCarol's post was indeed extremely helpful and it's thanks to you guys that I am doing so well during recovery.

Would also like to add I've been running the Instagram page for Surviving Antidepressants (with permission from Altostrata) check it here:

Instagram.com/survivingantidepressants

Peace, love & healing

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

That is such an amazing idea!! ❤️

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

@Yesyes123, So glad you have stabilized and are feeling better. ❤️  ❤️  There is always hope!

2005 - Zoloft, 200 mg for childhood anxiety (starting at age 11)

Summer 2015 - Switched to Prozac, 40 mg  

June 2019 - Tapered to 10 mg Prozac, no adverse effects. Held for 1 year. 

June 2020 - Discontinued Prozac. Horrible withdrawal. Did not realize it was withdrawal at first. 

Nov 2020 - Reinstated Prozac 2.5 mg. Still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

May 2021 - Prozac 2.0 mg. Still experiencing symptoms - some symptoms have improved, but situational factors have worsened.

August 12 2021 - Prozac 2.25 mg. Partial reinstatement as symptoms had worsened

June 17 2022 - Prozac 2.0 mg; Sept 13 2022 - Prozac 1.75 mg; Nov 1 2022 - Prozac 1.5 mg; Feb 1 2023 - Prozac 1.25 mg; Apr 1 2023 - Prozac 1.0 mg; June 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.75 mg; Aug 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.5 mg

• Mentor

@Toast Thank you so much! I feel SO MUCH better. 

I would not believe I would be feeling this good if you told me just a few weeks ago.

Honestly, Vitamin C 2000mg per day + Magnesium Citrate ~500mg per day + Eating salmon or taking fish oil does WONDERS.

Strongly recommend you to try those ASAP. One member said here that Magnesium helped their withdrawal by 90%.

Peace, love and healing

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

Update:

For the last 7-10 days I had been stable, no crying at all (which was amazing - prior to that I had been crying everyday and thought that was going to be long term.) 

All the problems I had during this week was being upset from all I learned recently about this drug and all the problems it caused me. Also extremely sleepy/ hungry/ sweaty, which aren't major causes for concern.

Yesterday I had to sleep in a different house and ate too much sugar / had some coffee and couldn't sleep until around 5am. I woke up with intense noise from construction very close to my room and that made me EXTREMELY stressed. I had a breakdown and cried a lot, got desperate over past events, desperate over being stuck on this drug, desperate over thinking I never needed it in the first place and that it ruined my life etc. Cried so much for hours again.

I now realise how important sleep is in this stage that I'm currently in. I'm only now in the last week or so beginning to stabilise and not getting to sleep caused me to have this setback. 

It's only been about 3 months and a bit on 15mg/ escitalopram, and it's natural I haven't fully stabilised yet. Although I have seen a big improvement. I'm sure in about a month or so I will be fully stable, and able to handle everything much better. I plan to stay on this dose until about July, and then start thinking of tapering.

Thank you all for the support. I have no idea where I would be if it wasn't for you.

Hey there, I am 37 years old and have been taking Lexapro for 16 months. But before that, I took Celexa which is like lexapro but not as strong, for over 20 years!! I got on it when I was 14!!! I was and still a sensitive girl and the sadness from my first broken heart scared my mom into taking me to the doctor and a regular family doctor put me in it and that was that!! Listen girl, you have only been on it for a fraction of your life. You can get off but you will need to get your body healthy. Our bodies were built to heal. Not always but you’d be surprised what it can over come. But only a healthy body will heal. Eat Whole Foods! Lots of fruits and veggies!! Cut out sugars! That stuff cause inflammation in the body and that will not let your body heal. No caffeine, no alcohol, no drugs. Let your brain breath. And yes, in my opinion, and I’m no doctor, a high magnesium supplement might be good!! Do research in magnesium supplementation and depression.  Stress depletes your magnesium and you are super stressed so your magnesium is depleted which will make you feel much worst. Your body is a temple, girl. Treat it kindly!! Give that brain some grace and remember, it may seem like you have been on the meds for long but it’s just a small part of your life. But first, take care of that body so that the body can heal. Good luck!!!  It’s gonna suck before it gets better and that is ok!!! It’s allowed to suck for a while. 

Age 14-24 Celexa.    Stopped Celexa in May age 24, after a 1 year long taper done by myself

Age 24-28 Back on Celexa in September Age 24 until Age 28, May, stopped Celexa after another 1 year long taper by myself.

Age 29.  November- started Celexa 1 month after giving birth

Age 31   May- stopped Celexa after 1 year long taper. 

Age 34  April- started Celexa after shots of steroids in my back. 

Age 35  June- stopped Celexa semi cold turkey

Age 35   September- started Lexapro 15mg

Age 36   November 5th- went down to 12.5mg for a week, then 10mg.

Age 37  December 5th- went down to 7.5mg for a week, then 5mg. January 22nd- 0mg

I am taking around 800mg of Magnesium Glycinate, 500mg of Magnesium L-Threonate, Vitamin D 2,000, Tumeric, Vital Biome Gut Microbiome Support, 99mg Potassium, 1,333mcg Methylfolate, ProBio 5. I also take Juice Plus supplements. Green tea every AM

Rarely gluten, dairy, added sugars. No alcohol or drug use.  Organic, whole foods, active lifestyle

• Mentor

@Gardenlife

Thanks so much for the kind words! I am actually a 21 year old guy, but still appreciate your support a ton 💖🙌

• Mentor

I'm thinking of getting liquid escitalopram from a local compounding pharmacy. Would that be dangerous at all? I'm scared they could mess up the dosage or something - we know that even a slight mistake can have tremendous effects.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yesyes,

You would want to cross over carefully AND without doing any dosage change.

I went over some of that ^

Other considerations might be cost, so you might inquire on that.  And then how long would a bottle of pharmacy liquid be good for.

Also, if you feel ready to make a change, any change right now.

I don't think you need a compounding pharmacy to get the prescription liquid.  Possibly, in your area......but here in the US, the regular pharmacist supplies the liquid versions of the medications, from the manufacturer.

And certainly, for the long haul of tapering, liquid can be a good, accurate way to go.

How are you doing with the accuracy of dosing now?  I think you were doing a 10 mg tablet and then 1/2 of another 10 mg tablet to get your total daily dosage of 15 mg escitalopram. 

You would need to get your doctor to write a prescription for the pill and then also for the liquid, as well......explaining your dosing.

You could even just use the pharmacy grade liquid, to start, for your 5 mg portion of your total daily dosage.

Good that you are thinking on all this, before you begin.

And best.  L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
formatting bolding

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Mentor

Thanks for the kind response @manymoretodays - from what I have read, here in Brazil I can only get 20mg/ mL Escitalopram from the manufacturer. That wouldn't be very good for exact tapering.

I was thinking that I could get a compounding pharmacy to make me a 5mg/ mL Escitalopram solution so it would be easier to measure. Only scared that since it would be a pharmacist doing it, they might mess something up.

12 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

How are you doing with the accuracy of dosing now?  I think you were doing a 10 mg tablet and then 1/2 of another 10 mg tablet to get your total daily dosage of 15 mg escitalopram. 

I am actually taking 15mg Escitalopram single pills daily from brand Exodus at 11:00 am

@Yesyes123 It would be a good idea to verify what you've read about the availability of the liquid by calling pharmacies to see what they have available.  Independent, specialty pharmacies may be much more flexible on what they can order for you.  You may also want to ask your doctor if they can recommend a compounding pharmacy who they have used previously and find trustworthy. 😊

Started .25 mg. clonazapam Oct. 2016

Started 10 mg. Celexa Dec. 2016

Started 10 mg. amitriptyline January 2017

Also took 60 mg. Dexilant Oct. 2016 through April 2017, successfully tapered off

Stopped Celexa successfully Oct. 2017

Fast taper of amitriptyline Dec. 2017, had major WD symptoms and reinstated at 10 mg. Jan. 2018

Slow amitryptyline taper started Mar. 2019, reduced from 10 mg. to 0.93 mg. currently

Also still taking .25 mg. clonazapam daily in late evening

@Gardenlife what kind of magnesium do you recommend? And fish oil if you have a suggestion....? I'm so leery to take anything extra....pills, supplements....anything.... I took flaxseed for omega 3's and it just didn't work out for my bowels!!!! So right now I don't take any vitamins or anything....

2005-2020 diff AD for trouble sleeping, switched multiple times. 

2020 Dec Escitalopram 10 mg

2021 Jan 10 mg -start BMS taper w/2 wk hold

2022 March 3.63 mg

2022 July 2.65 mg

2022 November 1.96 mg

2023 February 1.48 mg

2023 August .90 mg

.25mg Melatonin (as needed)

Dang it, I am so sorry! You’re a dude. Also sleep is super important. And it doesn’t always come easy. Sometimes not at all, especially during withdrawal but you have to at least try. So routine is key. Lay down at the same time every night. And wind down 

before hand. Not a lot of lights or loud noises. No screens!!!!!! And reading a book beforehand might help.

Also, a lot of our pain and worry is in our heads. When I was off the pills and  couldn’t sleep, I got back on the pills and slept 3 days later. No way did it affect me that fast but me just knowing I was taking it, gave me peace of mind. Because Me on antidepressants is the only version of me I know and being without them is terrifying. BUT WE HAVE TO LEARN. It’s like going into a gun fight without a gun. Is that the saying? Lol, maybe not. But I think

you get the point.

Taking my pill was a crutch. I replaced it with magnesium. You should too!

Age 14-24 Celexa.    Stopped Celexa in May age 24, after a 1 year long taper done by myself

Age 24-28 Back on Celexa in September Age 24 until Age 28, May, stopped Celexa after another 1 year long taper by myself.

Age 37  December 5th- went down to 7.5mg for a week, then 5mg. January 22nd- 0mg

I am taking around 800mg of Magnesium Glycinate, 500mg of Magnesium L-Threonate, Vitamin D 2,000, Tumeric, Vital Biome Gut Microbiome Support, 99mg Potassium, 1,333mcg Methylfolate, ProBio 5. I also take Juice Plus supplements. Green tea every AM

Rarely gluten, dairy, added sugars. No alcohol or drug use.  Organic, whole foods, active lifestyle

Which type of magnesium is a hard question. So I have taken several in the last 3 months. I think that Magnesium Glycinate is a good kind. I am having diarrhea (sorry tmi) BUT I get diarrhea when I am anxious and I am anxious due to withdrawal. So I don’t know if it’s the magnesium. Magensium in the form of Glycinate is not suppose to cause stomach issues so it’s probably my anxiety. But I really do Think it helps so I am ok with it. Because I am in a state of Fight or Flight right now, I imagine I am loosing a crap ton of magnesium. So I am taking a crap top to keep up. I don’t plan on taking this much forever but only though stressful times. Maybe us “mental health” folks are really just magnesium deficient. You never know. The bottle says 400mg a day. I take 1200 regularly but right now 2000mg because I am withdrawling so hard. I am pretty sure I take the vitamin and then pee it out immediately. But I feel

like it helps! A lot! Also, I have been taking a probiotic that is for people with mental health issues. Studies have shown that depressed people are lacking certain microbiota in their gut. So you can now buy probiotics that contain those live cultures. It takes several months for those cultures to build up a colony in the gut but it could help people. The idea is new and research is promising. And a probiotic won’t hurt anyone. Things like that, I don’t mind trying. However I am leery on herbs because I don’t want to replace one substance with another even though it’s natural. If In the future, when I am much older and gray and need something, i

would try like St John’s wort. But not anytime soon. 

• Administrator

@Gardenlife if you have diarrhea from magnesium, you are taking too much magnesium at once or total daily.

Many people lack magnesium because farming methods have depleted this and other minerals in our vegetables. It is a widespread problem.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

What I was saying is that I am not convinced it is from the magnesium. I do not have cramps at all and it is mostly in the morning. And in the morning is when I wake up most anxious. My anxiety is high due to withdrawl and like in the past, I get diarrhea. When I dont take as much magnesium, I can tell my mood changes so I am not comfortable at this time to assume it is the magnesium and lower my dosage. Diarrhea is also common with withdrawl so could be withdrawl, could be anxiety/ nerves, could be magnesium. 

Th recommended amount is for the average person. Not someone who feels nervous alot. I am giving it a try and taking it day by day.

• Mentor

Quick update:

It's only been about a week or so since I started to stabilise. I need to be patient!

I am making notable progress, getting better and better - even though sometimes it doesn't seem like it! 

I know that with time, all this will settle and I will be able to deal with everything with a much clearer mind. I know that someday this will all be over, I will be free of the drug and I will still be very young, and I will help SO MANY PEOPLE who will go through the same thing. I will use this experience as fuel to save others and to help show the horrors of psychiatry.

Been sleeping out of my house for about 5 days. Feeling so anxious and desperate sometimes. Feeling like I lost my life and was drugged for no reason. Feeling like it all might not be worth it. Getting horrible thoughts... I WILL push them away! I am stronger than these small, fading thoughts

I am getting more and more stable taking 15mg/ day Escitalopram. I need to focus on that! How many people go through insane withdrawals that last many months and never seem to get better? I only had a few months of suffering, and now I'm able to sleep and even have good times.

The main thing to me is that when I was in heavy WD it seriously affected my relationship with people I love so much. I feel like I was so confident and a great person, and then suddenly I was a huge mess.

Feel like I will never be who I once was.

But I know it's not my fault. All that's up to me is how I WILL REACT to this. That's literally ALL I can do - and where I can succeed and show my worth.

There's no use or sense in thinking about what "could have been". It couldn't have been. What is, is.

Let's work with what we have! It's all we have. And I'm doing AMAZING compared to some other people - who are no worse/ weaker than me! I need to be more humble, I think.

Thank you all

You were only on the medicine for a short time. You will be ok but it will just really suck at first. You will feel like you will never be your old self again and then you will! It reminds me of when we have a broken heart and are so sure we will never love again..... and guess what..... we do! But at the time, it feels like the world is crashing down and we cant see the light. 

I see you take 100mg of magnesium. The recommended amount for the average person is around 350mg. And then studies have shown that amounts from 100-350mg PER MEAL and at bedtime has gotten rid of depression. So I would some research and seriously think about upping your magnesium because 100mg doesnt seem like alot. 

The feeling of hopelessness is a symptom just like headaches. Its does not define you. Just a symptom that will go away. But take care of yourself. Glad you are starting to see the light. Its there, just not always as bright. 

@Yesyes123 I just read through your thread and saw that your the admin for SA on insta!! Just wanted to say thank you again and I am SO happy you’ve decided to be apart of that.  

Seems like you are taking great strides in stabilizing...yay!! I saw your comment about coffee and caffeine...I would definitely start with decaf and see how you do with that since there’s a tiny bit of caffeine in that. During my last down dose I had to scale back because I was sweating like CRAZY and my anxiety was through the roof. I do half and half now and can handle that pretty well. 

As far as time and the future, I always remind myself that slow and steady wins the race! Patience is definitely key. Try not to be hard on yourself if some days are worse than others, or if you have to updose again. Gotta give your body a chance to stabilize! 

Lexapro: 2013 - mid August 2019 (20mgs, to 10 mgs for 1 week then 0mgs)

Zoloft: March 2018 - ? (200mgs - unsure of duration, around 2-4 weeks maybe; down to 100 mgs for 1 month, 50 mgs for 1 month; reinstated 20 mgs Lexapro shortly after)

Wellbutrin: mid August 2019 - mid September 2019 (150 mgs then CT)

Prozac: early October 2019 - 20 mgs  to 40 mgs on 11/24/2019; 30 mgs in July 2020; 20 mgs Sept 2020; 10 mgs October 22 2020; 15 mgs 11/13/2020

My intro:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21906-ruuree-my-experience-with-lexapro-withdrawal/

• Mentor

Thank you so much for all you do @brassmonkey.

Does anyone have success stories of tapering off Escitalopram? (Lexapro). Unfortunately it seems like one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) to taper off.

And unfortunately it's the one I'm addicted to.

• Moderator Emeritus

1 hour ago, Yesyes123 said:

Does anyone have success stories of tapering off Escitalopram? (Lexapro). Unfortunately it seems like one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) to taper off.

Search results for Effexor and venlafaxine in the Success Stories Forum.  I'm not sure if there are any duplications:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=effexor&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=28

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=venlafaxine&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=28

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

@Yesyes123

Here is one Lexapro success story.  There are more.  Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org Lexapro success stories.

Aeroman - I have recovered from Lexapro and Cipro ...

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Yesyes123,

23 hours ago, Yesyes123 said:

And unfortunately it's the one I'm addicted to.

Many of them can be difficult to taper off.  Hopefully less so, with a well planned out taper, such as you are heading towards doing.

I just split off some of your posts and replies, from other topics, and consolidated them back here to your Introduction topic, starting with some from the microtaper topic on the 23rd of January.  This way, we know, and you have it here, to reference, what has already been offered.

Although......it does read a bit interrupted now though. :(B)

And wow, great of you to manage an Instagram account for the site.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:50 AM, Yesyes123 said:

Feel like I will never be who I once was.

You will be, and even improved I would imagine.  Some of the coping skills/practices that you might adopt will serve you well, going forward.  And then......you will be a bit older too, once you are clear of the medications.  And it's really more of a dependency that sets in, rather than addiction.  Waiting for the receptors and that whole mechanism to go back to "factory settings", if you will.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:50 AM, Yesyes123 said:

Been sleeping out of my house for about 5 days. Feeling so anxious and desperate sometimes. Feeling like I lost my life and was drugged for no reason. Feeling like it all might not be worth it. Getting horrible thoughts... I WILL push them away! I am stronger than these small, fading thoughts

Are you finding coping skills in the Symptoms and Self Care Section yet?  I know, that for me sometimes, it's best not to just push thoughts away.......but to just be gentle with them.......allow the flow in and out.  Sometimes by battling with them, I feel much worse.

Oh, check out Mooji, on youtube:  A simple yet profound exercise:  I watching

See if this appeals to you.  They've got a whole youtube channel!

There's so much more great stuff here too, as far as those things that help with coping.  I am running out of time today though.  You can search and find though a lot.......just by going to your main browser(off site) and then just type on in:  survivingantidepressants.org followed by the topic, or symptom, that you want to find more on how to best cope with now.

And I did see, your reply, that you presently take a 15 mg tablet, Exodus brand, of Lexapro.  Thank you for your response.

And best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Mentor

Does anyone have that link on how to crush pills to powder and measure it properly etc?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Yesyes123,

Is this what you are looking for? :

Using a digital scale to measure doses

And then:  Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ's

Are you doing okay?

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• Mentor

Thank you so much mmt.

These last days have been somewhat rough and I did lose a bit of perspective.

I have been sleeping in a different place that's not my house for about 10 days or so, and can't really get quality sleep here, and just ran out of Vitamin C.

I'll go get some vit c in a bit. I'll be back home in a few days and I'm sure things will be better.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah, yes, I had seen that somewhere.......that you were not at your usual home base.  That can be an influence sometimes.  It always made me more nervous, early on.  Now.......I only wish I could be traveling more........covid19 kind of precludes this.

I'll give you the Vitamin C link here too today:

Vitamin C(ascorbic acid or ascorbate)

Have you always taken the 2,000 mg? 

I added the Vitamin C back in, sometime after I realized I was in acute WD.  I think at first it might have hyped me up a bit, or made me feel more anxious.  Since that time though, I do okay, just fine, with 500 mg taken twice a day.  It's a Vitamin C with Citrus Bioflavonoid type.

Oh good, you might be fine even sooner Yes, yes.  I'll be glad to hear when you are home again, however.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• Mentor

Thanks again for the kind posts @manymoretodays.

I am surely getting better, thankfully...

But it's been so tough. So tough. I would really like to talk to more people who were on escitalopram (Lexapro) - if you guys could maybe tag some people you know here, that would be awesome... I'm sure there's lots of people here who have experience with this drug.

16 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

Thanks again for the kind posts @manymoretodays.

I am surely getting better, thankfully...

But it's been so tough. So tough. I would really like to talk to more people who were on escitalopram (Lexapro) - if you guys could maybe tag some people you know here, that would be awesome... I'm sure there's lots of people here who have experience with this drug.

I don't know if there is any way I can help, but as you can see by my signature, I've had some experience with Lexapro. I believe I understand how hard it is...

MarieR

started 20 mg escitalopram 2011

failed CT attempt 2014 (4 months off)

back on 20 mg escitalopram 2014

began too fast taper (dr. recommendation, didn't know better) Jan. 2019

Taper: 3/4 of pill 4 weeks, 1/2 of pill 2 weeks and 1/4 of pill for 2 weeks

Off meds Mar. 7, 2019

Hey Yes yes, 

I was on Lexapro for 6 years and did a too fast taper.  I'm still struggling right not but grinding it out.

Med History - 2014 - 2020 - Zoloft, Effexor, Klonopin, Lexapro, Buspar (No longer on any of these)

Went to my doctor for an annual and mentioned I was stressed, gave me Zoloft, stopped it after 3 months because it didn't do anything, ended up in withdrawal and was told I had a mental illness.  I've been diagnosed Bipolar and Clinically Depressed.  

Current Med Taper 

Lamotrigine - 25mg (May 21') -> 24mg (May 23') -> 23mg (July 23') -> 22mg (Aug 23') -> 21mg (Oct 23') -> 20mg (Dec 23')

Supplement: Magnesium, Fish Oil

• Mentor

Thanks everyone, I'll reply to all who posted here!

Hey @Jennings,

Did you crash after your 6 month taper? How hard was it, what were your symptoms/ how did you feel?

How long has it been since you quit Lexapro, and how are you now?

Yeah I crashed hard lol.

I had a week of brain zaps and other early withdrawal shenanigans.  Then I felt great for a couple months.  And around month 3 I crashed hard.  Panic attacks, absurd anxiety, muscle aches, gastro issues, chest pain, doom feelings, intrusive thoughts.  Really nasty.

I’m six months out from a six month taper.  Started tapering a year ago.  Waves and windows, it’s brutal.  Fears I’ll never recover.  But then I see a small glimmer of hope and I hold on.  

When I’m in a wave I think it’s forever.  

Med History - 2014 - 2020 - Zoloft, Effexor, Klonopin, Lexapro, Buspar (No longer on any of these)

Went to my doctor for an annual and mentioned I was stressed, gave me Zoloft, stopped it after 3 months because it didn't do anything, ended up in withdrawal and was told I had a mental illness.  I've been diagnosed Bipolar and Clinically Depressed.  

Current Med Taper 

Lamotrigine - 25mg (May 21') -> 24mg (May 23') -> 23mg (July 23') -> 22mg (Aug 23') -> 21mg (Oct 23') -> 20mg (Dec 23')

Supplement: Magnesium, Fish Oil

• Mentor

@Jennings have you considered reinstating like 0.1mg lexapro? I saw a post by Altostrata saying there was someone who reinstated 2 years after CT and it worked. I can try to find it later 

• Mentor

I have been considering a switch to Prozac (in a few months - once I'm stable on 15mg/ day Lexapro).

My main reason for switching is that a Lexapro taper at 15mg/ day would take around 4 years (minimum) while a Prozac taper is much, much faster (if I'm able to make the switch succesfully).

Currently looking for information on how that would be done. But from what I found here on SA it would look something like this:

Week 1: 15mg Lexapro + 2.5mg Prozac

Week 2:  10mg Lexapro + 5mg Prozac

Week 3: 5mg Lexapro + 10mg Prozac

Week 4: Off Lexapro/ 15mg Prozac

Week 5: Keep 15mg Prozac or increase dosage? Maybe I would need to increase because Lexapro is more potent then Prozac.

Could this work? I know I might be very wrong - just started researching about switching. If anyone has any info, that would be highly appreciated.

@Altostrata @JanCarol @Gridley

Well the administrators will advice u best on that but my advice Is not to switch to another AD . First of all u ll add time to ur weaning schedule because u might need a good enough time to make the switch, secondly u might still suffer lexapro withdrawal as not all ADs work exactly the same, and last and most importantly you don’t know how ur body will react to Prozac . And why do u think u it will take less time to wean of Prozac? U will still have to apply the 5-10% reduction rule.

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.