Totallylost: short term antidepressant use has left me unable to function

Totallylost

I tried Citalopram for 2 weeks had terrible symptoms so stopped, was given buspirone stopped after a week then trazodone because i couldn’t sleep, stopped that after 5 days was horrible, now I can’t eat or sleep can barely function, that’s been 5 weeks since then

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

started in January now off work 3 months 

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

barely eating no appetite

fever on and off

Hi new on here, at my lowest point now, had felt stressed in work didn’t feel right then was prescribed Citalopram, had horrendous symptoms with this so stopped after 10 days, was then prescribed buspirone only lasted a week on that, after that trazodone because I couldn’t sleep, lasted 5 days on it, been off everything 6 weeks now I’m basically in a constant fight or flight mode, have no hunger at all for any sort of food and barely sleep at all, have started to shake as if I have flu the last few days also 

Edited by Gridley

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Totallylost.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Just drugs, dates and dosages in a list format.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

You have had an adverse reaction to the Citalopram and perhaps also to the Busiprone and also the Trazodone, which means that the drug(s) is basically poison to your system.  You are apparently one of those people whose system is not well-suited to psychiatric drugs and rejects them, which trows your system into chaos.  We have several members who have dealt with adverse reactions to various psychiatric drugs.

Immediate adverse reactions to an antidepressant or within a ...

The symptoms of an adverse reaction are similar to those of psychiatric drug withdrawal, and those you describe are typical.  The damage is not permanent but we can't predict how long it will take for you to heal.  Some return to normal fairly quickly while others take longer.  But what you're experiencing isn't a permanent condition.  We do not recommend taking further psychiatric drugs to deal with your symptoms.  Time is the great healer here.  The following links are about withdrawal but apply as well to an adverse reaction.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to Totallylost: Short term antidepressant use has left me unable to function

Thank you for the time and info, I’ve been prescribed diazepam and a sleeping pill but wary of touching these 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

• Moderator Emeritus
14 minutes ago, Totallylost said:

Thank you for the time and info, I’ve been prescribed diazepam and a sleeping pill but wary of touching these 

You are wise to be wary.  Physiological dependence on a benzo like Diazepam can begin as soon as after 2 weeks of continuous use and also with intermittent use.  Diazepam has a very long half life (it stays in your system a long time), so what seems like i intermittent use can amount, in terms of dependency, to regular use.  Sleeping pills raise similar problems of dependency.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I meant to add that after a severe panic attack last month I was prescribed a short amount of lorazepam which helped me sleep and they seem to have made me worse, I think these have added to my withdrawal symptoms, I just needed a sleep before i went insane but looking back a few weeks supply was too much 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

Anyone have severe stomach issues after withdrawal, quite a lot of pain, shivers, no appetite at all 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Totallylost,

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time now.

Please remember this is only temporary.

Digestive issues are very common, you might find these threads interesting

1. digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhoea-bloating-gerd

2. weight-gain-weight-loss-appetite-changes-hunger

Hang on ☀️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

1 hour ago, Erell said:

Hello @Totallylost,

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time now.

Please remember this is only temporary.

Digestive issues are very common, you might find these threads interesting

1. digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhoea-bloating-gerd

2. weight-gain-weight-loss-appetite-changes-hunger

Hang on ☀️

Thank you for the reply, don’t know what’s going on but can’t feel any hunger just a horrible feeling 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

Constant awful feeling in my stomach is driving me mad, does this ever pass, weird stress like feeling like constant fear, can’t take it much Longer, wish I had never touched an ssri everyday now 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

Does anybody have horrible feelings in stomach constantly like severe anxiousness, I can’t even settle for a minute with this can’t sleep either, I’ve had all sorts of withdrawal symptoms aches and pains plus panic attacks but this is by far the worst, it’s bringing on a slight shake also 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

• Moderator Emeritus

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24576-totallylost-short-term-antidepressant-use-has-left-me-unable-to-function/

Quoted post moved to your Intro to keep your history in one place. (first post in thread) 

Then, previous post moved to your intro topic.  

@Totallylost please keep all you questions and comments about your situation in this one Intro topic.  That way, we have all your history in one place, and we can give you the best guidance.  Thank you. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

@Totallylost I have these feelings in stomach and it became better for me. These feelings are much rarer now and less intense.

25 November 2020 - 22 December 2020 - Zoloft (3 weeks - 12.5 mg, 1 week - 25 mg); 1 January 2021 - Zoloft (12.5 mg)

18-24 December 2020 - Teraligen 2.5 mg-3.75 mg (Russian antipsychotic)

18-28 December 2020 - Eglonil 100 mg (Sulpiride)

Supplements: magnesium

Symptoms since stopping Zoloft: overactive/painful bladder, pelvic pressure, PGAD, severe anxiety

1 hour ago, DinaDina said:

@Totallylost I have these feelings in stomach and it became better for me. These feelings are much rarer now and less intense.

Hi thanks for the reply, I really hope that they do I can’t cope much longer 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

5 minutes ago, Totallylost said:

Hi thanks for the reply, I really hope that they do I can’t cope much longer 

Are you now off all medication?

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

11 hours ago, Totallylost said:

Are you now off all medication?

Yes, I'm off all drugs since January. I was taking AD for 4 weeks.

25 November 2020 - 22 December 2020 - Zoloft (3 weeks - 12.5 mg, 1 week - 25 mg); 1 January 2021 - Zoloft (12.5 mg)

Symptoms since stopping Zoloft: overactive/painful bladder, pelvic pressure, PGAD, severe anxiety

2 hours ago, DinaDina said:

Yes, I'm off all drugs since January. I was taking AD for 4 weeks.

Just got prescribed muscle relaxants for my stomach, diazepam and sleeping tablets, seems like never ending drug use

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

1 hour ago, Totallylost said:

Just got prescribed muscle relaxants for my stomach, diazepam and sleeping tablets, seems like never ending drug use

The same story. My doctors gave me muscle relaxants, benzo and another AD. I didn't start to take them and stopped to go to doctors.

18 minutes ago, DinaDina said:

The same story. My doctors gave me muscle relaxants, benzo and another AD. I didn't start to take them and stopped to go to doctors.

That’s all they seem to do, they’ve told me I have depression and anxiety, I never had any of this before the Citalopram I just felt a bit funny maybe stressed now I have no feelings just dread in my stomach and shakes, have had to take the sleeping pills for any sort of sleep 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

I cannot put up with this much longer driving me insane, constant nervous dull pain in stomach now right side of back, worst symptom I’ve ever had, makes me shake, can’t settle for 1 minute 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

I’m so sorry for what you are experiencing.  Hang in there.  Your body WILL heal itself.  You must give it that chance.  

Epsom salts baths.  They help even if it is not immediate relief.

Print this out and track your symptoms with it http://drglenmullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AS-Appendix-1.pdf

It will help you see progress although it can be very slow- almost imperceptible — that’s why we use the checklist.

LORAZEPAM

When did you quit the lorazepam?  What was your dose?  Can you count the pills to see how many you took?  Two weeks is the perfect amount of time to get hooked.  

I’m so sad to see you suffering like this.  I had the fear and stomach issues, too.  It’s awful.  It will stop eventually.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

3 hours ago, Rosetta said:

I’m so sorry for what you are experiencing.  Hang in there.  Your body WILL heal itself.  You must give it that chance.  

Print this out and track your symptoms with it http://drglenmullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AS-Appendix-1.pdf

It will help you see progress although it can be very slow- almost imperceptible — that’s why we use the checklist.

LORAZEPAM

When did you quit the lorazepam?  What was your dose?  Can you count the pills to see how many you took?  Two weeks is the perfect amount of time to get hooked.  

I’m so sad to see you suffering like this.  I had the fear and stomach issues, too.  It’s awful.  It will stop eventually.

Rosetta

Thank you for the reply, I cannot remember it was a low dosage but I was in such a state from a bad panic attack, also took zopiclone for sleep, I’ve been given another weeks worth of that and diazepam, trying my hardest not to touch either but find myself taking the sleeping pill to get any sort of peace at night, was given tablets for muscle spasms too, I never had a panic attack until I took Citalopram for 2 weeks,  never recovered, now I’ve hit a really dark spell have no emotions at all just a crazy ache fear in stomach and side

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

3 hours ago, Rosetta said:

LORAZEPAM

Rosetta

Thank you for the reply, I cannot remember it was a low dosage but I was in such a state from a bad panic attack, also took zopiclone for sleep, I’ve been given another weeks worth of that and diazepam, trying my hardest not to touch either but find myself taking the sleeping pill to get any sort of peace at night, was given tablets for muscle spasms too, I never had a panic attack until I took Citalopram for 2 weeks,  never recovered, now I’ve hit a really dark spell have no emotions at all just a crazy ache fear in stomach and side

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

I’ve hit a really dark spell the last few weeks possibly recent meds I’ve took, I had a life before the antidepressants I tried now I don’t feel any emotions just awful constant feelings in stomach 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

30 minutes ago, Totallylost said:

Lorazepam was only a few weeks ago sorry mostly for sleep

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

• ChessieCat changed the title to Totallylost: short term antidepressant use has left me unable to function

Ok. Do you still have the bottles of all those drugs from January, by chance?  If not, can someone help you get info from the pharmacy? 

Current:

1. zopiclone dosage? How often per day did the doctor prescribe this?

2. diazepam dosage? How often per day did the doctor prescribe this?

3. What is the name of the muscle relaxer? Dosage? How often per day did the doctor prescribe this?

Last month (March?) you took lorazapam?  It’s really important to tell us the dates, the dosage, and the times per day on that.  What day did you stop?  Do you still have the bottle?

If you can post this info, I hope a Moderator can drop by to discuss what to do with the diazepam.  The weakness in your legs tells me that you became dependent back in January.  That was a long time ago as far as diazepam is concerned, and it may be more harmful for you to take any more now.  There is a very short period of time to safely reinstate diazapam.  

It is very likely that only a tiny amount of zopiclone or diazepam will be effective, and the prescribed amount may be causing your system further destabilization, by the way.  We see that frequently, and I have experienced it myself.  

I was given Xanax after my system went haywire.  Even just 1/4 of a pill was enough to make me zombie-like although my doctor prescribed much more.  When I took the prescribed amount, I passed out.  Each time I took it, my overall condition worsened.  Doctors often aren’t aware that people who have been harmed by ADs cannot take the same amount of any drug that a person with a stable nervous system can take.

Yes, I was given a sleeping pill, too.  Again, it was too strong for me, and it further harmed my system.  It was the final straw for me.  

This is a recurring issue.  I can’t understand why doctors don’t see it. I guess they are never trained in the long-term dangers of drugs or adverse reactions.  Even neurologists are unaware.

It sounds like your doctor is prescribing small amounts at a time of these benzos, and isn’t going to prescribe them long term.  Does that seem to be the case to you? Are you seeing the same doctor every visit?  Or do you see whomever is available?

I had the abdomen muscle cramps, too.  It’s very upsetting.  It’s probably something that happens when the fight or flight response is involved.  You do not have natural anxiety or depression, if you ask me.  You have had a bad reaction to an AD, and now your nervous system is overreacting.  Each new drug is affecting that system more,

You need to try to stay calm.  I know that feels impossible, but you have to make yourself stop and think before you frantically down another pill.  I think you are aware that they are making this worse.  Try to avoid them, and take only a little bit if you do use one, not even half.

Maybe someone here can give you info about 1/2 life and addiction dangers of the 3 drugs you have now prescribed to you.  I’m not very knowledgeable.  I just know there are pitfalls and that it’s possible all three are working on the same receptors.  There may be some drug interactions you need to be concerned about, as well.  You might talk to your pharmacist, too.  They often know more than the doctors do about the drugs and the pitfalls.

Hang in there.  You will get through this.  Not sleeping is awful, but we often see that people will eventually sleep when their bodies get tired enough.  It’s hard to be awake while we are so worried. (Here I am at 5:00 am having been awake since 2:30.). Can you watch tv or read a book?  It’s really best of you don’t take any of those drugs.  You will heal faster if you limit use to the bare minimum.

Take care, Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

9 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Ok. Do you still have the bottles of all those drugs from January, by chance?  If not, can someone help you get info from the pharmacy? 

Current:

1. zopiclone dosage? How often per day did the doctor prescribe this?

2. diazepam dosage? How often per day did the doctor prescribe this?

3. What is the name of the muscle relaxer? Dosage? How often per day did the doctor prescribe this?

Last month (March?) you took lorazapam?  It’s really important to tell us the dates, the dosage, and the times per day on that.  What day did you stop?  Do you still have the bottle?

If you can post this info, I hope a Moderator can drop by to discuss what to do with the diazepam.  The weakness in your legs tells me that you became dependent back in January.  That was a long time ago as far as diazepam is concerned, and it may be more harmful for you to take any more now.  There is a very short period of time to safely reinstate diazapam.  

It is very likely that only a tiny amount of zopiclone or diazepam will be effective, and the prescribed amount may be causing your system further destabilization, by the way.  We see that frequently, and I have experienced it myself.  

I was given Xanax after my system went haywire.  Even just 1/4 of a pill was enough to make me zombie-like although my doctor prescribed much more.  When I took the prescribed amount, I passed out.  Each time I took it, my overall condition worsened.  Doctors often aren’t aware that people who have been harmed by ADs cannot take the same amount of any drug that a person with a stable nervous system can take.

Yes, I was given a sleeping pill, too.  Again, it was too strong for me, and it further harmed my system.  It was the final straw for me.  

This is a recurring issue.  I can’t understand why doctors don’t see it. I guess they are never trained in the long-term dangers of drugs or adverse reactions.  Even neurologists are unaware.

It sounds like your doctor is prescribing small amounts at a time of these benzos, and isn’t going to prescribe them long term.  Does that seem to be the case to you? Are you seeing the same doctor every visit?  Or do you see whomever is available?

I had the abdomen muscle cramps, too.  It’s very upsetting.  It’s probably something that happens when the fight or flight response is involved.  You do not have natural anxiety or depression, if you ask me.  You have had a bad reaction to an AD, and now your nervous system is overreacting.  Each new drug is affecting that system more,

You need to try to stay calm.  I know that feels impossible, but you have to make yourself stop and think before you frantically down another pill.  I think you are aware that they are making this worse.  Try to avoid them, and take only a little bit if you do use one, not even half.

Maybe someone here can give you info about 1/2 life and addiction dangers of the 3 drugs you have now prescribed to you.  I’m not very knowledgeable.  I just know there are pitfalls and that it’s possible all three are working on the same receptors.  There may be some drug interactions you need to be concerned about, as well.  You might talk to your pharmacist, too.  They often know more than the doctors do about the drugs and the pitfalls.

Hang in there.  You will get through this.  Not sleeping is awful, but we often see that people will eventually sleep when their bodies get tired enough.  It’s hard to be awake while we are so worried. (Here I am at 5:00 am having been awake since 2:30.). Can you watch tv or read a book?  It’s really best of you don’t take any of those drugs.  You will heal faster if you limit use to the bare minimum.

Take care, Rosetta

I don’t have the dosage for the January drugs couldn’t handle any and threw them out, zopiclone is 1 per night 3.75mg, I’ve used 4 they made me worse, diazepam is 2mg 3 per day but I’ve only used 2 the last few nights for sleep, the lorazepam was around a month ago he gave me 8 I think I used them to calm me over a 2 week period, the stomach tablets are mebeverine, I’ve had all the withdrawal symptoms before but this feeling now is driving me insane it seems all my stomach and side muscles are agitated all day I can’t get a minutes sleep, got melatonin from a friend wondering if this would help with sleep, I feel the only peace I get is taking something not even sure the stomach pills are doing anything, at least the withdrawals before I had some sort of peace now I have no emotions just stomach side an back nervousness, whenever I try to do anything I feel I’ve too much adrenaline, neck pulsing fast heartbeat, been to hospital 3 times found nothing 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

3 minutes ago, Totallylost said:

I don’t have the dosage for the January drugs couldn’t handle any and threw them out, zopiclone is 1 per night 3.75mg, I’ve used 4 they made me worse, diazepam is 2mg 3 per day but I’ve only used 2 the last few nights for sleep, the lorazepam was around a month ago he gave me 8 I think I used them to calm me over a 2 week period, the stomach tablets are mebeverine, I’ve had all the withdrawal symptoms before but this feeling now is driving me insane it seems all my stomach and side muscles are agitated all day I can’t get a minutes sleep, got melatonin from a friend wondering if this would help with sleep, I feel the only peace I get is taking something not even sure the stomach pills are doing anything, at least the withdrawals before I had some sort of peace now I have no emotions just stomach side an back nervousness, whenever I try to do anything I feel I’ve too much adrenaline, neck pulsing fast heartbeat, been to hospital 3 times found nothing 

I didn’t feel right before the Citalopram but after a week on that I was unable to function and had severe panic attacks just wish that was my last drug but listened to doctors advice and ended up on buspirone I cannot remember the doses I think they were small to start, then a small dosage of trazodone after the buspirone, had nothing for a while until a panic attack and that’s when I got the lorazepam only last month 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

Getting therapy sessions from my work and he finally listened to me about my symptoms and how each drug has impacted me, now I think it’s been so long the depression has hit me because I’ve not had a normal day or feeling in months 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

I did a little bit of research for you. 

Diazepam is Valium.  It is extremely, extremely addictive.  It can take over 140 hours to clear the drug from the body. To avoid addiction, the drug has to clear the system completely before another dose is taken, and I’m not sure how many hours or days a person needs to be free of it before it's safe to take another dose.  The longer the better, I assume.  The half life is 70 hours.  That means 50 percent of the drug should be cleared in 70 hours.

Diazapam is also something you had in January, correct? Two mg three times a day is the current prescription?  That’s a recipe for addiction.  Addiction can happen in less than two weeks.  Some people think one week is enough.  I think that if a person was addicted once before that makes it easier and faster for addiction to take hold again.  I’m not sure exactly how it works.  Are the pills 1 mg pills?

As for zopliclone, it’s also addictive and can cause psychiatric illness symptoms - side effects. (Valium can, too.)  It clears the system faster as it has a much shorter half life, but it’s addictive if taken every night.  Supposedly, it can be used for 4 weeks, but I would never risk that nor would I risk taking it every night for even a few days.  Yes, I’m not surprised it made you worse.  The dose is probably too much for your system.

Any of these drugs can cause a paradoxical reaction or intensify the symptoms they are meant to treat.  It’s even more likely they will do so in a fragile nervous system. 

What I hate to see here is people getting addicted to drugs that are making WD symptoms more intense, but it happens when people follow prescriptions.  Also, doctors sometimes get people addicted and then cut them off thereby causing withdrawals and risking post withdrawal syndrome.  That’s a double whammy for people who have had an adverse reaction to an AD.

As for the IBS meds that are supposed to affect only those specific muscles, if they don’t seem to work, I would not risk an adverse reaction.  Again, a tiny dose might be less risky.  I think I would not take them at all.  SA is all about carefully reducing drugs, if possible, and never adding anything new except fish oil and magnesium.

Melatonin should also be avoided or tried in very small quantities just like everything else.  Normal doses of OTC drugs can cause reactions in our fragile systems.

One other thing.  We have an important idea at SA: One change at a time.  Taking or stopping or reducing or updosing anything at all means no changes to anything else.  It’s the only way to know if something specific is causing distress.  Taking two or three new (or reintroducing old) things at once makes it impossible to know what is making our systems react.

This all means you are going to be suffering while drugs your doctor gave you are sitting right there, but it’s the only way we know of to let a nervous system heal.  The system pushes back against the drugs - rebound symptoms — and we feel worse, not better.  A destabilized system seems to push back much harder.  When the drug leaves the system it’s like a train flying down a hill when the brake is released.

If you take anything, I suggest you track the effects with a daily diary.  People who are tapering do this, but you can, too.  You may see patterns that tell you or a Moderator if you are having an adverse reaction.  Use the diary every day, not just on the days you take a drug.  That way you can see differences.  Here’s the topic: 

I hope you feel better soon.  Do not lose hope!  I have healed immensely, and I made a lot of mistakes.

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

9 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

I did a little bit of research for you. 

Diazepam is Valium.  It is extremely, extremely addictive.  It can take over 140 hours to clear the drug from the body. To avoid addiction, the drug has to clear the system completely before another dose is taken, and I’m not sure how many hours or days a person needs to be free of it before it's safe to take another dose.  The longer the better, I assume.  The half life is 70 hours.  That means 50 percent of the drug should be cleared in 70 hours.

Diazapam is also something you had in January, correct? Two mg three times a day is the current prescription?  That’s a recipe for addiction.  Addiction can happen in less than two weeks.  Some people think one week is enough.  I think that if a person was addicted once before that makes it easier and faster for addiction to take hold again.  I’m not sure exactly how it works.  Are the pills 1 mg pills?

As for zopliclone, it’s also addictive and can cause psychiatric illness symptoms - side effects. (Valium can, too.)  It clears the system faster as it has a much shorter half life, but it’s addictive if taken every night.  Supposedly, it can be used for 4 weeks, but I would never risk that nor would I risk taking it every night for even a few days.  Yes, I’m not surprised it made you worse.  The dose is probably too much for your system.

Any of these drugs can cause a paradoxical reaction or intensify the symptoms they are meant to treat.  It’s even more likely they will do so in a fragile nervous system. 

What I hate to see here is people getting addicted to drugs that are making WD symptoms more intense, but it happens when people follow prescriptions.  Also, doctors sometimes get people addicted and then cut them off thereby causing withdrawals and risking post withdrawal syndrome.  That’s a double whammy for people who have had an adverse reaction to an AD.

As for the IBS meds that are supposed to affect only those specific muscles, if they don’t seem to work, I would not risk an adverse reaction.  Again, a tiny dose might be less risky.  I think I would not take them at all.  SA is all about carefully reducing drugs, if possible, and never adding anything new except fish oil and magnesium.

Melatonin should also be avoided or tried in very small quantities just like everything else.  Normal doses of OTC drugs can cause reactions in our fragile systems.

One other thing.  We have an important idea at SA: One change at a time.  Taking or stopping or reducing or updosing anything at all means no changes to anything else.  It’s the only way to know if something specific is causing distress.  Taking two or three new (or reintroducing old) things at once makes it impossible to know what is making our systems react.

This all means you are going to be suffering while drugs your doctor gave you are sitting right there, but it’s the only way we know of to let a nervous system heal.  The system pushes back against the drugs - rebound symptoms — and we feel worse, not better.  A destabilized system seems to push back much harder.  When the drug leaves the system it’s like a train flying down a hill when the brake is released.

If you take anything, I suggest you track the effects with a daily diary.  People who are tapering do this, but you can, too.  You may see patterns that tell you or a Moderator if you are having an adverse reaction.  Use the diary every day, not just on the days you take a drug.  That way you can see differences.  Here’s the topic: 

I hope you feel better soon.  Do not lose hope!  I have healed immensely, and I made a lot of mistakes.

Rosetta

Thank you for the info and reply’s, I didn’t have any diazepam in January only the a/d’s, they are 2m pills he’s given me I will stop these now or even take a half if I really can’t cope, I’ve another weeks worth of zopiclone not touching them either, I don’t know if the stomach pills are working but I’ve some sort of appetite back I’ll maybe stick with them for now, thinking back the lorazepam was a bad idea but at that time I was in a terrible state, probably made me even worse, that and the zopiclone seemed to ease my symptoms for a few hours then next day I was back to normal 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

4 minutes ago, Totallylost said:

Thank you for the info and reply’s, I didn’t have any diazepam in January only the a/d’s, they are 2m pills he’s given me I will stop these now or even take a half if I really can’t cope, I’ve another weeks worth of zopiclone not touching them either, I don’t know if the stomach pills are working but I’ve some sort of appetite back I’ll maybe stick with them for now, thinking back the lorazepam was a bad idea but at that time I was in a terrible state, probably made me even worse, that and the zopiclone seemed to ease my symptoms for a few hours then next day I was back to normal 

I keep wishing everyday I hadn’t touched Citalopram it’s not helping thinking this, before I had a life just a bit of stress maybe time of work or therapy would have sorted now I’m just a mess, look at people just normally going about they’re lives and I can’t 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

I know.  It’s very hard to go through this.  The brain has an amazing ability to heal.  Any other organ is so different.  You will get better.  You’ll see.

I think 1/2 a 2 mg is still too much.  Just take a tiny bit if you take any.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

7 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

I know.  It’s very hard to go through this.  The brain has an amazing ability to heal.  Any other organ is so different.  You will get better.  You’ll see.

I think 1/2 a 2 mg is still too much.  Just take a tiny bit if you take any.

Thanks a lot for the help

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

You’re welcome. I’m worried that you were hooked on lorazapam (Ativan).  It would be very good if you could figure out what day you stopped taking it and post that info here for the Mods.  I would try today to figure that out and post it.

There is a very short window for reinstatement of benzos (for ADs the reinstatement window is quite a bit longer).  Your doctor should know this, but so many don’t monitor for addiction, and even if they do, they have no idea what to do about it.

I’m not saying you should reinstate.  It might not be a option either way.  Maybe people with an AD adverse reaction would not be candidates for reinstatement.  I don’t know.  In any event, don’t take more without advice from a Mod.  The original dose would be way, way too much, by the way.  It would injure you.

I’m sorry this has happened to you.  I had the same experience with doctors in that I was given Xanax when I started having a bad reaction to an increase in my AD dose.  Never give in to the thought that you are stuck like this.  Your brain will heal.

Maybe you can get some Epsom salts today, and have a bath.

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

28 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

You’re welcome. I’m worried that you were hooked on lorazapam (Ativan).  It would be very good if you could figure out what day you stopped taking it and post that info here for the Mods.  I would try today to figure that out and post it.

There is a very short window for reinstatement of benzos (for ADs the reinstatement window is quite a bit longer).  Your doctor should know this, but so many don’t monitor for addiction, and even if they do, they have no idea what to do about it.

I’m not saying you should reinstate.  It might not be a option either way.  Maybe people with an AD adverse reaction would not be candidates for reinstatement.  I don’t know.  In any event, don’t take more without advice from a Mod.  The original dose would be way, way too much, by the way.  It would injure you.

I’m sorry this has happened to you.  I had the same experience with doctors in that I was given Xanax when I started having a bad reaction to an increase in my AD dose.  Never give in to the thought that you are stuck like this.  Your brain will heal.

Maybe you can get some Epsom salts today, and have a bath.

Rosetta

I really can’t remember now, was around 3 weeks ago I think, I feel so bad now feel poisoned I don’t know what this is I can’t even explain it just such an ill feeling 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off