seasonalshift: Immediate adverse reaction to Adderall XR preceding onset of distressing symptoms

seasonalshift

Bearing in mind that I was tolerating my hormone replacement therapy regimen pretty well before the adverse reaction to adderall (ie not experiencing outsized adverse reactions not roughly commensurate w my trans peers’ not in WD), how worried ought I be that I am prolonging my adr/WD recovery by taking them, rather than just piling some extent of side-effects symptoms on top of my adr/WD ones? How worried ought I be that I am prolonging my recovery *indefinitely*? I really wish there were more trans(fem especially, who would be taking similar meds to what I am) users I could speak to about this. My concern is that I’m stuck in an impossible situation where I can’t reasonably stop hrt without suffering catastrophic mental health effects but also that some part of my regimen will prevent me from recovering by way of continual stimulus to my nervous system. And like. I want to be very clear that even despite the lingering WD symptoms and the adverse reactions to the regimen (and the PTSD, and the concussions, etc), the year before my adderall reaction while on hrt was by far the healthiest, most optimistic I’ve ever felt in my life. I want to know that it is possible to return to that baseline without having to effectively detransition first. 

extensive history of prior psych meds usage for adhd, depression, anxiety

lamictal march-august 2018 (abrupt taper over latter four months, don’t remember dose)

abilify, three days september 2018

concerta September-October 2018

reinstated lamictal at microdose, then tapered off probably too abruptly May 2019-July 2019

Estradiol, Spironolactone, Progesterone April 2021-present 💗

Adderall XR 20mg May 20, 2022

• Administrator
On 6/12/2022 at 5:28 PM, Altostrata said:

At any rate, if you had an adverse reaction to Adderall, all we could do is tell you to take care of yourself to minimize symptoms while they gradually fade over time. We cannot address the adverse effects you may be getting from your current drug regimen.

Suggest you might hold your drug regimen steady while allowing the adverse effects of Adderall to fade, before making decisions about additional drugs. 

I'm sorry your situation is beyond our peer support capabilities. You may wish to ask your questions in a trans community, where many people are on multiple drugs, including psychiatric drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Gotcha gotcha. Both sound like good ideas. 

lamictal march-august 2018 (abrupt taper over latter four months, don’t remember dose)

reinstated lamictal at microdose, then tapered off probably too abruptly May 2019-July 2019

• 1 month later...

@seasonalshift

Thinking of you <3

Sending hugs and healing vibes <3

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Love to you back ❤️ 

Unfortunately my health has taken a turn for the much worse and I worry I am going to die, soon, from a terribly mismanaged and very severe case of MECFS that cropped up after a recent neck injury. I am hoping very very much that I’m wrong but I have faced a steady decline in health over the last month that has me desperately wishing I could go back to how I was doing at the time of my last post. My quality of life has been reduced to next to nothing. I am grateful for all the support I received from members of this forum. 

Oh @seasonalshift

I am so sorry to hear of your illness.

I cannot imagine what you're going through. 

While I do not know what you're dealing with, ME/CFS (considered by some to be distinct diagnoses) are not a death sentence. 

If you are not yet familiar with Jennifer Brea, I highly recommend her work -- blog, film, activism. She's an ME activist and survivor and an all-around impressive, inspiring human. 

Holding space for your experience and wishing the best for you and your health <3

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of you @seasonalshift

I don't know if this could be helpful or relevant for you, sharing just in case:

Holding space for your experience and sending healing vibes <3

A.