Laura1981: Stopped venlafaxine (Effexor) after 5 days on it. Do I need to taper to prevent lasting damage?

Laura1981

Laura, I think petition we can do also without any organization. I am willing to help, but I just dont want to do it alone. So if you or anyone other wants to do a petition, then please PM me and we can prepare the text and check how we do it.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hey Martina, I would be on board for doing a petition, the only problem is at this stage I wouldn't want to put my real name on it. Having my name on a petition like could mean trouble for future employment. That's why I was thinking about founding an organisation first. Then we could use the name of the organisation. Or of course we could use an alias, and not our real name. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Laura, I can not imagine to fight about something without telling my real name. So it is no problem. We dont have to do anything. If someone would have a real interest to do something at a later stage then it can be also done later.

It is ok. It is really no problem. Have a nice healing.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

I think for just logging the petition we need only one name. So if you want to start it, we can put your name and I would chose an alias. Or we give our initiative a name. I would be totally up for logging a petition. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Laura, sorry but I dont want to be the only one to stand for my opinion with a name. I think this case needs the people who are able to stand up and say I am this or that, I was harmed and I dont agree with the current practise of prescribing toxic drugs to people. But in order to start something, for my taste the stating of the name is crucial. And I can not imagine to make a sucessful petition with someone signing it as alias. Sorry, but this I would not do.

symptoms OCD

I agree, it's just that my job really doesn't allow me to put that kind of info out there on the internet. Maybe you'll find someone to start a petition up if you post something under "Events, controversies and actions". Or we end up founding an organization that is specific to all drug harm, not just psych drugs. Then I'm happy to put my name on it. 

• 1 month later...

Do you think I need to go back on Venlafaxine and taper down slowly to prevent lasting damage to my brain? 

Hi Laura, I found this thread when googling information about what people experience after they've stopped using Effexor..

Can you please expand on what you said earlier, about tapering off slowly so as to not cause "lasting damage"... Where have you heard about lasting damage? What kind of damage are you referring to? And is lasting damage a concern when not tapering off slowly?

Thank you so much

at this point I can't recall dates or doses, but it goes something like this:

- put on Ritalin around 1990 @8years old

- direct switch (no taper) to Paxil around 2000 @18 years old

- direct switch (no taper) to Effexor around 2004 @22 years old 

- maxed dose on Effexor and added Wellbutrin and Clonazepam around 2006 @24 years old

- taken off Wellbutrin within the year (no taper)

- decreased Effexor incrementally over a year or two down to 37.5mg, and would have to go back up to 75mg due to withdrawal symptoms

- cold turkey off Effexor (either 37.5 or 75mg) December 22nd 2008 @26 years old

medication free for 8 years - grateful to finally have a chance to learn who I really am  

beginning to notice degrading cognitive function, challenged by memory loss, personality expression, devoid libido, decision making, socialization

• 7 months later...

Hello Laura how are you now? I'm in a really bad state with my antidepressant withdrawal. I can't stand to be anywhere around people and can't stand any noices. I hope you are healed already!

Citalopram (Sepram): 2005 10mg, 2008 20mg, 2010 30mg, 2011 20mg, tapered 2012 for two months quit in August 2012, restarted Oct 2012 with 10mg, January 2013 20mg, February 2014 40mg, tapered in August 2014, quit in December 2014

Suprium: Oct 2012 50mg, cold turkey after one month, December 2015 50mg, quit March 2016

Xanax: Oct 2015 2mg used it when needed, quit November 2015

Opamox: January 2016 15mg 3x day, tapered in March 2016, quit April 2016

Tenox: 3 weeks in February 2016 cold turkey

Lyrica: One month in Spring 2016 cold turkey

Abilify: 2 weeks in Spring 2016 cold turkey

Mirtazapine: June 2016 - mid April 2017 cold turkey

Hi Kiaza, 

sorry to hear you're feeling so bad! I know the problems you describe. I had those symptoms too.

I'm not healed unfortunately, I still have a lot of symptoms the worst of which are the brain zaps. But I have to say it has gotten better. The psychological symptoms are mostly gone. I'm still noise and light sensitive, the involuntary movements still happen sometimes. Nausea, sweating, seasickness etc all still going on. But overall I'm getting better. 

Hang in there, it will get better. 

Laura

• 1 year later...

Hey Laura, how have you been?

March 2016: Strattera

June 2016: Nothing

October 2016-April 2017:Wellbutrin SR

Mid-March 2017-March 2017 Adderall (9 days)

April 2017: Wellbutrin and Ritalin (7 days)

Mid-April to mid-June: nothing 

early June 2017: Wellbutrin XL

mid-June 2017: Wellbutrin XL, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure); took for two days

Late August: Allegra for two days, then Propranolol

• 1 year later...

Hello @Laura1981

I would love to hear from you. Have you recovered completely?

2nd of April 2020 - 7th of April 2020 Sertraline 50 mg (adverse reaction).

2nd of August 2020 Omega 3 fish oil 1000mg (currently on).

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thank you, I wish I would’ve check this website before I try to for four days, I lost myself.

thank yiu for your candor and honesty.

• 1 year later...