withhopeinmyheart: crash and reinstating after escitalopram quick taper

withhopeinmyheart

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi withhopeinmy heart,

Good job with the notes. 

I used to get that irritability with certain sounds, even before I tried medications.  Kind of weird.  And definitely got it during WD.  Much improved now.

Were symptoms any easier to cope with when you took the thyroid in the morning?

Don't worry about not being able to help or support others right now.  Just keep up with us here, with updates, and receiving support from your peers in WD, and that is good enough.  You'll find yourself visiting other threads soon enough I think.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, withhopeinmyheart said:

Do you think my taper was actually so fast it equals a cold turkey? Maybe that's why it's so extremely bad... 

I think that it may be more due to the nervous system destabilization response, overall now.

I don't know if this will be helpful, but take a look, if you'd like.  Traumatic Immobility: Depression as a Stress Response 

It's an article, about how the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system work.  And it helped me understand more about how it can just go into overdrive sometimes.  And then though, how we can sometimes, perhaps tap, into our own "healing" .

"But the fact is, my body can turn this kind of stuff on and off, practically on command. Just in the course of writing this blog, I got to see, time and again, how all of this stuff eased or passed as the stress equation in me changed. Sometimes on, sometimes off. Sometimes many, sometimes just a few. On and on, over and over, in various patterns, depending on how, for me, the stress-cookie crumbled. "  (Sarah Knutson is the author)

In WD, we do often get sort of awry stress responses and what many of us call "cortisol" spikes.  There's often not much we can do about it, other than try, try some non-drug coping to just de-stress and relax.  It helps me though to understand the mechanics a bit of it all.

When I came off Lexapro after long term use of many medications/drugs it hit me pretty quickly.  It sounds like you had a bit of a "honeymoon period".  That's not unusual either.

Also read the first post in the non-drug techniques for coping, when you can.  It's worded really well, as far as to what you are going through now.  Look at  the link to neuroemotions, and the windows and waves links, as well as meditation for a stressed out nervous system.  There's a whole, wonderful indexed list of topic to explore.

The trauma of this whole experience WILL get better for you, whimh,  I believe.  Time does wonders. 

Then go on down the list and look at some more of the links that appeal to you now.

Any more outings?  What's the weather like there now?  We are into Spring in the States and it's very nice.  Hoping you can get out for at least a car ride this weekend.  It can be so nice to get out of the house, even briefly, when stuck in acute symptoms.

All for now, from me,

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
minor edit

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you @AlanC you're right, it's a first step and the truth needs to be out there. 

It's hard to not blame myself. Like "maybe I'm not trying hard enough."

@Kronos18 I'm so sorry it got that bad again for you. I haven't had those convincing windows that tell me it will be good again. 

@manymoretodays thank you! I think I forgot one or two days of notes. Should I continue them for a while longer? 

No, symptoms weren't better when I took thyroid hormone in the morning. 

Back then the anxiety was panicky, unstoppable, through the roof. 

Now it's this paralysis that I kind of associate with both, withdrawal and trauma. I realized today that I might actually be having flashbacks of withdrawal moments. Can be triggered by any random thing. 

I feel like a little child. For eight months I haven't been able to recognize the world. And while I DO have improvements, I feel so unable to move around in this strange, frightening world. I feel unprotected all day. 

I often combed through many topics here, in finding meaning and symptoms and success stories. It's just that my brain cannot let things in. Like it's completely locked and I can't find the key to let any coping method in. 

I will read again and again until something sticks. 

Also in the German forum I learned about what happened to me, but still coping is almost impossible and I feel the trauma, no matter if 'real' or withdrawal induced, has quite a part in this. 

It's getting pretty warm here and sadly my body doesn't take it well. More head pressure and dizziness. 

I should mention again, I have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). I've probably had it all my life. But withdrawal worsened it, too. I'm really weak. 

And just that you know it, I have spastic paraplegia in both legs. It's a slowly progressive illness which might result in being wheelchair-bound. 

But I'm far from that I can still walk and to the average person it's hardly noticeable. 

I mention this because I feel withdrawal worsened both of those conditions. 

Yeah, so I'm having a really hard time going somewhere or even wanting to go out there. I might have been wrong before maybe agoraphobia is still there but just kind of changed... 

But I do have moments on the balcony. 

Next outing would be my doctor's appointment in a week. He is a psychiatrist acknowledging withdrawal. He said with much empathy that sadly he's no magician and can't make it go away any faster. 

I'm sorry... Everything is still withdrawal.. There's no interest, no hobby, and this fear that keeps me paralyzed. 

Escitalopram August 2015 - 20mg

Some time in winter 2017 down to 10mg with no problems

May 21 2018 5mg, June 4 2018 2.5mg, June 18 2018 0mg 

October 2 2018 arriving in hell

Reinstated 0.25mg

October 27 2018 0.35mg, November 23 2018 0.5mg, November 24 2018 0.6mg

November 28 2018 0.5mg and holding since 

June 2019 Finally stable at 0.5mg

January 2020 - Dezember 2023 tapered to 0 without many issues, jumped from 0.02mg 

January 3 2024 crash

Taking fish oil and magnesium 

L-Thyroxin 75 for Hashimoto's

Wow, I don't know if I understood it all correctly (brain fog and language) but I read Sarah Knutson's article. 

I'm totally in the fright mode. I am that scared to death rodent playing dead. Even the blaming myself that maybe I'm just not trying enough. Wow. That's why absolutely everything in me screams I can't. 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 2020 - Dezember 2023 tapered to 0 without many issues, jumped from 0.02mg 

January 3 2024 crash

1 hour ago, withhopeinmyheart said:

I should mention again, I have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). I've probably had it all my life. But withdrawal worsened it, too. I'm really weak. 

And just that you know it, I have spastic paraplegia in both legs. It's a slowly progressive illness which might result in being wheelchair-bound. 

But I'm far from that I can still walk and to the average person it's hardly noticeable. 

Withhope, I’m truly sorry to hear that. Withdrawal is so terribly hard on its own without having to cope with frightening problems like those. I’m really glad to hear you have a doctor who is sympathetic.

1999 - 2001: Paroxetine 20mg, 2003: Venlafaxine 75mg, 2003 - 2014: Escitalopram 20mg

1999 - December 2017: Lansoprazole 15mg

2014 - December 2017: Citalopram 20mg

December 2017: Mirtazapine 30mg, stopped after 4 days due to immediate bad reaction, Zopiclone 3.75mg, stopped after 2 days due to immediate bad reaction

January 2018 - April 2018: Citalopram liquid, tapering, final dose 0.1mg

December 2018 onwards: Vitamin C 1000mg

October 2021: Loratadine 10mg for 6 days (23/10 to 28/10)

Long term (for asthma): Salbutamol and Salmeterol inhalers, Salmeterol stopped March 2021 due to migraine headaches

Occasional use for headaches: Paracetamol 40mg or Ibuprofen 40mg

4th December 2021: Eustachian tube infection: Amoxicillin 500mg 3 per day for 5 days, Dexamethasone & Neomycin ear spray 3 per day for 1 week, Beclometasone nasal spray 2 per day for 2 weeks.

Yes @AlanC my chronic illnesses are the reason I became mildly depressed. Went to therapy for three years and it went great. I learned to accept myself the way I am. But half way through therapy, around my wedding, I got anxiety about the future. Not much, not for too long, but anxiety was so new to me that I wanted the quick fix, Escitalopram. 

Ironic. Now I could easily deal with what I had back then. 

And cannot deal with what I have now because withdrawal brain won't let me. Honestly. It's like my brain got filled with symptoms and then locked up, so none of the symptoms can get out and none of the coping skills and acceptance I had can get in. 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

Oh, and yes, I so definitely had a nice long honeymoon period. Around fifteen weeks. What a cruel joke to be thrown into the pits of hell over night... 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi WHIMH,

On 6/1/2019 at 11:32 AM, withhopeinmyheart said:

Now it's this paralysis that I kind of associate with both, withdrawal and trauma. I realized today that I might actually be having flashbacks of withdrawal moments. Can be triggered by any random thing. 

That happens......I mean the trauma associated with WD.  I think that you are on to something valuable there.  When we go through this stuff it is traumatizing.  And it may be better to wait to deal with the psychological trauma of WD until a later time.  Maybe that's part of what I deal with now too.  As I've gotten through the acute phase and now it's time for me to get the rest settled(the traumas and such).  So don't worry as you ARE doing the best you can now.  Absolutely.

On 6/1/2019 at 11:32 AM, withhopeinmyheart said:

Yes, that could be.  And thank you for telling a bit more.  I think that a lot of it is a result of the autonomic nervous system instability that often results too.

And I'm glad you took a look at that article.  You can always give it another read at a later time.  It kind of helps me to sometimes talk to my body a bit.......ask it to help me out, etc.  Sounds a bit strange, I know, yet it often works well.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:12 PM, withhopeinmyheart said:

I'm totally in the fright mode. I am that scared to death rodent playing dead. Even the blaming myself that maybe I'm just not trying enough. Wow. That's why absolutely everything in me screams I can't. 

And great description.  Don't blame or shame now.  Just stop those thoughts in their tracks.

For now, you might consider just continuing the notes for yourself, to look for improvements over time, or better days, or even bits of windows in each day.  Get to know your patterns.  And look for improvements.  I know you had mentioned feeling slight improvements.  Sometimes getting them down on paper or on a calendar even helps.  As you begin to see the improvements.  I still do use a block calendar to note things on for myself.  And used to actually color code good days and not so good days.  Then I could visually see improvements.  Maybe you could try that?

All for now.  L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you @manymoretodays

Yes, I use to apps to document how I feel. Will continue. 

Right, the trauma seems to be impossible to work on while still being so miserable. 

I just wonder... I already read the post about withdrawal stages. Acute and post acute. But still I don't know how to tell when are you acute or post acute? 

Today has an unexpected step forward... Got intimate with my husband for the first time since all this happened. 

So weird... I feel lost, so lost and I had to cry... 

I missed my husband terribly but I'm still so gone, so detached... Lost and floating... 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

Why does it scare me so badly that now I'm not able to see and feel the good in life..? Why can't I just wait and heal? 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

20 minutes ago, withhopeinmyheart said:

Why does it scare me so badly that now I'm not able to see and feel the good in life..? Why can't I just wait and heal? 

Is the situation that makes us see only bad aspects, negative thinking is very comon during withdrawal, normal emotions are replaced with neuroemotions.It will all pass in time

Lorazepam -2 weeks-1 week 3 mg.4 days 2mg, 3 days 1mg. 13-27 November 2018

Lexapro -2 months-6 weeks of 10mg, 2 weeks of 5mg 27 November 2018-27 January 2019

Thank you dear Kronos. 

Back to strong SI today. It's pulling me and I cling onto life. 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

• Mentor
9 minutes ago, withhopeinmyheart said:

Thank you dear Kronos. 

It does that, doesn’t it?  Keep clinging on, it will pass eventually

warmest wishes,

Rich

= medication taken now

2007 quetiapine to March 2019 200mg

2019 quetiapine March to present 225mg 

2007 citalopram to present 40mg 
2018 March Abilify 5mg  
2019 Abilify February rapid taper over 3 weeks from 5mg to off

2019 March Clonazepam as required, taken very occasionally, then taken 0.5mg for 2 days 28th and 29th March, now phased out

2019 1st April reinstated Abilify 0.5mg / day 

2018 to 2020 Liquid B12 2g twice daily (diagnosed B12 deficiency) 

2020 July reduced quetiapine to 200mg

2022 October began taper of Abilify

15 minutes ago, withhopeinmyheart said:

Thank you dear Kronos. 

I can relate.I’m having symptoms that are much like multiple sclerosis, i’m started to question if this is only withdrawal or other disease, as my muscles feel weak and i’m dizzy fatigued

Lorazepam -2 weeks-1 week 3 mg.4 days 2mg, 3 days 1mg. 13-27 November 2018

Lexapro -2 months-6 weeks of 10mg, 2 weeks of 5mg 27 November 2018-27 January 2019

Thank you Rich, hey Kronos! 

Kronos, I'm gonna tell you something. My grandma has MS. She has been living with it for close to 40 years! And happily. 

So, even IF you had MS, there's different forms of it. It is not the sentence to endless suffering. 

More likely so what you are going through is severe withdrawal and that means the suffering will end. 

Withdrawal symptoms are hell. 

Many develop that fear of having a serious disease. It's a symptom as well. 

Your brain has much healing to do. One day it will be done and you will be fine. 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

It is so weird and unpredictable. SI gone, now a tiny window. I'm still frozen but anxiety lessened and everything feels less threatening. 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

On 6/1/2019 at 8:08 PM, withhopeinmyheart said:

Yes @AlanC my chronic illnesses are the reason I became mildly depressed. Went to therapy for three years and it went great. I learned to accept myself the way I am. But half way through therapy, around my wedding, I got anxiety about the future. Not much, not for too long, but anxiety was so new to me that I wanted the quick fix, Escitalopram. 

Ironic. Now I could easily deal with what I had back then. 

And cannot deal with what I have now because withdrawal brain won't let me. Honestly. It's like my brain got filled with symptoms and then locked up, so none of the symptoms can get out and none of the coping skills and acceptance I had can get in. 

This is a perfect description of how it feels . The inability to access any logic. A relativism

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

I find that the symptoms affect my thoughts. I get low mood in the morning and as a result i think negative thoughts but serotonin levels are lowests in the morning just as you wake, also cortisol levels which creates an awful buzzing tense feeling from inside. I tend to think of them as symptoms. But the symptoms and thoughts go hand in hand, we put context to the anxious feelings with our mind and thoughts and we catastrophise and imagine many fearful things and lose hope because we know that this is a struggle and there is so much uncertainty around it. We can make our anxiety much worse. But no doubt the anxiety that our brain will create automatically creates frightening thoughts, they go hand in hand.

At times i compare a symtpom i agonise over vs the same symptom if i had the flu, the difference is the uncertainty..how long will this go on for? Am i doom to suffer this all my life? Can anybody help me? Etc. While if i had a flu, there is little uncertainty, as i know it will be over in a few weeks.

One of the keys to anxiety is the intolerance of uncertainty. And in my experience having WD is quite possibly on the extreme side of something that will trigger anxiety and anxious thinking and perception and cognition. In a word, i have never experienced something so bad. The analogy of waiting on the runway for the plane that never takes off is one i like.

Lexapro

10mg 11/2018 -  4 weeks

20mg 12/2018 - 4 weeks

20mg - 0mg - 01/2019 - 02/2019  - taper 6 weeks - WD symptoms

10mg - 03/2019 - 6 week reinstate

03-04/2019 taper 10,7.5,5,2.5,0mg as instructed by dr.

0mg - 04-06/2019 - WD symptoms again.

accute symptom cleared follow by protracted symptoms still ongoing

Oh, yes TriD! The uncertainty of it all almost drives me crazy. 

But this evening I find myself able to try my hobby again, adult coloring books. 

I kept trying during acute withdrawal and it then triggered my anxiety badly. But now it feels familiar. 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi whimh,

That sounds great ^, that you can participate again in your hobby.

And as far as acute or post acute WD, I think you'll know, especially if you are tracking things along the way.  You'll suddenly see that you have whole series of days that have gone well.

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

Take a look at the table of contents ^, 12, 13, and 14 might apply

And then, I got a lot out of different topics in Finding Meaning too.  Just go to the Main Forum page and you'll see that Forum to explore.

All for now,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi Hope,

Thanks for your note on my thread a while back.  I had POTS for quite a while.  I had no idea until I had been at SA for a while that it could be caused by protracted WD, but that makes so much sense.  The autonomic system is completrly compromised.  It was severe about a year ago or so.  Now, is very rare for me.  

I hope you you are doing ok today.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Thank you @manymoretodays and @Rosetta

Well, I can report that I am either in a window or have a new baseline. Today is day 11 of feeling better. 

I can feel hope, which just wasn't possible before. I don't seem to have agoraphobia anymore and the overall anxiety lessened a lot. 

I think my symptoms might be shifting. I feel hypomanic and I need to be very careful about money spending issues. 

Still extremely exhausted, but I think today was the second time I was able to nap. 

Also I often get itchy rashes now and I need to find out if it's histamine or any certain foods causing it. 

My progress has been so gradual that I really hope this is not a window with a big wave following, but a new WD baseline. Would be nice... 

Best wishes for you all! 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

• Mentor

Great news Hope! This is really good to hear.

warmest wishes,

Rich

= medication taken now

2007 quetiapine to March 2019 200mg

2019 quetiapine March to present 225mg 

2007 citalopram to present 40mg 
2018 March Abilify 5mg  
2019 Abilify February rapid taper over 3 weeks from 5mg to off

2019 March Clonazepam as required, taken very occasionally, then taken 0.5mg for 2 days 28th and 29th March, now phased out

2019 1st April reinstated Abilify 0.5mg / day 

2018 to 2020 Liquid B12 2g twice daily (diagnosed B12 deficiency) 

2020 July reduced quetiapine to 200mg

2022 October began taper of Abilify

So pleased to hear that. 😊

1999 - 2001: Paroxetine 20mg, 2003: Venlafaxine 75mg, 2003 - 2014: Escitalopram 20mg

1999 - December 2017: Lansoprazole 15mg

2014 - December 2017: Citalopram 20mg

December 2017: Mirtazapine 30mg, stopped after 4 days due to immediate bad reaction, Zopiclone 3.75mg, stopped after 2 days due to immediate bad reaction

January 2018 - April 2018: Citalopram liquid, tapering, final dose 0.1mg

December 2018 onwards: Vitamin C 1000mg

October 2021: Loratadine 10mg for 6 days (23/10 to 28/10)

Long term (for asthma): Salbutamol and Salmeterol inhalers, Salmeterol stopped March 2021 due to migraine headaches

Occasional use for headaches: Paracetamol 40mg or Ibuprofen 40mg

4th December 2021: Eustachian tube infection: Amoxicillin 500mg 3 per day for 5 days, Dexamethasone & Neomycin ear spray 3 per day for 1 week, Beclometasone nasal spray 2 per day for 2 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

This is really good news! Great to read it :)

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

• 2 months later...

@withhopeinmyheart where are you now? I hope your absence means a wonderful window.

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

- Dante

Hey my friend, @India, hello everybody,

My absence means positive and negative as well. I have been doing better since mid-June. And it continues to improve. Without the typical windows and waves pattern. Or the pattern is there but hardly noticeable, I don't really know.

Positive is that I can do a lot more now. Life feels a lot more normal, though not completely. I can enjoy things. I have more acceptance. And, my friends, my husband and I moved just two days ago! It was very suddenly, we had wanted to move for ages, but lots of circumstances kind of kept us hostage at the old place. But now it finally happened! This is our first real home together. We are still in the process of arriving and getting everything into place.

Of course this is a huge stressor, so I have to be very careful. But something like this would have been impossible, absolutely unimaginable during the hellmonths, as I call them. So I just try to be grateful. Try, I say. Well, that's one of the negatives. I'm often not sure about my emotions, not sure if I am able to feel what I'm "supposed" to feel. Yesterday was almost like I could feel no love for my husband, friends and family. Just barely anything. Today this was way improved.

I have lost a lot of safety during all this. Just this overall trust in life that I always had in life is now gone. And my brain automatically yells at me "This is you, not withdrawal!" Liar. I know this is withdrawal and that I need to be really patient. It's just very scary to feel like this. I just can't reach out and grab this feeling of being safe and having something to hold onto in life.

Also, I have this vague plan of tapering a tiny step of my 0.5 mg Escitalopram that I'm still on. I might go to 0.48 and see how that goes. I'm scared because I do remember the hellmonths all too well. But I also know I will only get my trust back when I'm off this stuff that has the power to control me.

Ah, my friends and fellow sufferers. I feel guilty for not interacting with you. I say this in every support group. I somehow can't because it is overwhelming. All I can currently offer you is to assure you that I'm thinking of all of you, no matter if we ever chatted or not. I keep you all in my thoughts and wish you healing. I will always check back here, but sometimes it takes time.

Much love

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this update. Lovely to hear. Sorry I haven’t been replying. I get blocks often. Do not feel guilty!!! Healing is the priority.

- Dante
  • 5 months later...

Hello :) Really good to read that you were doing better and I truly hope this has continued. No pressure to respond if you don't feel to.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

• 3 weeks later...

@withhopeinmyheart how are you now in May 2020?

- Dante
  • 1 month later...

Goodness, time really flies! (at least it does when you're not in hell anymore!)

I'm so sorry for the late reply, dear @India, dear fellow warriors. I'm quite forgetful these days and forgot to write here probably a hundred times.

So, my last post was in October. Since then, I have continued to get better. Slowly. But luckily no debilitating waves. I do have triggers of course. I need to work on things like self-worth. All that kind of things.

But I am doing ok. Good actually. I'm not free from any symptoms but I'm definitely not in acute hell anymore and haven't been for quite some time.

I am absolutely convinced that time is the healing agent. I know in my heart that experimenting with drugs won't get you out of this. Waiting for your system to sort things out will.

I also started tapering off the reinstatment dose in a couple of really small steps. I am currently holding at 0.44 mg Escitalopram. Have been holding this since March because it got physically challenging. But NOTHING so far has been as unbearable as acute withdrawal.

I do have hope. I can laugh. I want to keep learning  skills to cope with this crazy world where functioning seems to be the highest goal.

About my symptoms: Sleep isn't good. But that was even before Escitalopram and withdrawal. I'm often exhausted. But that's all ok because I don't have those crushing emotional symptoms. I'm back in the real world and not locked away in this bizarre, unrecognizable hell dimension.

Ask me whatever you like.

We can do this, warriors! Even if it often enough feels like we can't. That's just withdrawal brain telling us lies!

Sending light and love

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, withhopeinmyheart said:

I am currently holding at 0.44 mg Escitalopram.

That's a great update, withhopeinmyheart.  Congratulations on getting so low!

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@withhopeinmyheart, what a wonderful update! I was wondering how you are. Doing well, it seems 😊

• 2 years later...

Hi, @withhopeinmyheart,

Your last update was soo long ago, wondering how are You doing lately? Please let us know :)

Wishing You a lifelong window!

V.

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, 

I finished my slow, slow taper on New Year's Eve 2023. Sadly, shortly after, I crashed again. 

Probably not as badly as last time but I'm frozen again. I read my older posts and so much is the same. Frozen, being too hard on myself... It seems to be this thing... I can't cope during this. As if it's its own symptom. 

The tapering over the last 4 years went really well for the most part. I didn't really have to think about it. 

I reduced by 0.02 mgs with each step. Waited 5 weeks or longer in between. 

This now utterly shocks me. 

I'm not human anymore. Cortisol, anxiety, being frozen, desperate, wailing, doom, SI, intrusive thoughts telling me I can't survive. 

I'm going to update my signature. 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash

• Mentor
9 hours ago, withhopeinmyheart said:

Hello everyone, 

I finished my slow, slow taper on New Year's Eve 2023. Sadly, shortly after, I crashed again. 

Probably not as badly as last time but I'm frozen again. I read my older posts and so much is the same. Frozen, being too hard on myself... It seems to be this thing... I can't cope during this. As if it's its own symptom. 

The tapering over the last 4 years went really well for the most part. I didn't really have to think about it. 

I reduced by 0.02 mgs with each step. Waited 5 weeks or longer in between. 

This now utterly shocks me. 

I'm not human anymore. Cortisol, anxiety, being frozen, desperate, wailing, doom, SI, intrusive thoughts telling me I can't survive. 

I'm going to update my signature. 

Hello my friend, you are still human and you can survive. Someday this will be just a chapter in your story that you don't have to look at because you are back to normal life. Stay strong

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you so much. I just really don't know how to get through this again. It's inhumane... 

Please, is there anyone else who tapered so slowly and still this happened? It's almost been 2 months off. 

Reinstated 0.25mg

January 3 2024 crash