Yesyes123: Will I ever be able to quit Lexapro?

Yesyes123

• Mentor

Has anybody heard about Levium?

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I just googled it. It is a combination of a lot of different supplements that are reputed to help depression and anxiety. Over half of them are on our "don't take this" list mostly because they are some form of natural ssri, snri or affect other neurotransmitters and systems. By taking it you are effectively replacing one drug with another. Several of the ingredients can cause adverse reactions in people experiencing ADWD, some reach tolerance quickly and need to be carefully tapered while others frequently have no affect or an adverse affect.

There is plenty of discussion on the individual ingredients throughout the site here. Look up the ingredient list and do a site search for more information.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Mentor
54 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

I just googled it. It is a combination of a lot of different supplements that are reputed to help depression and anxiety. Over half of them are on our "don't take this" list mostly because they are some form of natural ssri, snri or affect other neurotransmitters and systems. By taking it you are effectively replacing one drug with another. Several of the ingredients can cause adverse reactions in people experiencing ADWD, some reach tolerance quickly and need to be carefully tapered while others frequently have no affect or an adverse affect.

There is plenty of discussion on the individual ingredients throughout the site here. Look up the ingredient list and do a site search for more information.

Awesome thank you so much. I am not thinking of taking it at all. Someone told me they took it with Lexapro and I wondered what it was.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, Yesyes123 said:

Hey I really need help! Please! I feel like my life is at risk and im only 21

Please check the posts i made  on the forum if you can

I took the SSRI escitalopram 10mg from age 15 to 21 (now) and tried to taper off during 2 months last year (obviously way too fast!) 

I had the worst breakdown of my life and nearly died. I'm so grateful to be alive today. 

Taper off - June/ July

Felt ok minor WD effects - August/ September

Extreme breakdown - October (reinstated 10mg)

Went to see the psychiatrist and he told me to up the dosage to 15mg. Have been on 15mg for about 2 or 3 months and feel like I'm beginning to feel like myself again. 

Is that too high of a dose after all that happened? Should I go back to 10mg? I feel like I should just keep taking 15mg for now and wait until I'm stable. What else can i do? Please help me... thank you

What should I do to  help reestablish my mental health during this period? Thank you

Probably not the best time for me to ask, but, how did your breakdown threaten your life ? 

- 10 mg lexparo 1.5 years

- ativan for panic 0.5 , never more than once daily and not everyday for 4 years.

-cold turkeyed in June 5 of 2021.

Buspar a few days and had severe muscle pain. July 26, 27, then 30 of 2021.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Yesterday I found out about something messed up. I hung out with a friend that I hadn't seen in a while. 

We talked about psychiatry and he mentioned he started taking psych drugs about 2 months ago.

He said he's on sertraline... I frowned.

Then he went on...

"And desvenlafaxine too"

What??

"...and Quetiapine, Lithium and Amitriptyline"

WHAT!!!!! All together!!!

HE'S 19!!!!!!

I didn't know how to react. 

Holy ****.  This is really messed up. Hope u can help him

Jan 2017: started paroxetine 20mg

Back and forth several times

Aug 2019: paroxetine 20mg and zolpiden 6,25

Oct 2020: cold turkeyd both paroxetine and zolpiden ( big crash now i am in)

Feb 2021: cold switch from paroxetine to venlafaxine( 37,5): didnt work at all

March 2021: decided to go back to paroxetine out of despair: venlafaxine 37,5; paroxetine 40mg and zolpiden 6,25( current medication)

Very sad.  I'm sorry that he is on so many meds.  But that is our Western Medicine system.  Prescribe pills forever.

When I was in inpatient two months ago they were trying to put me on Zoloft and they saw I was terrified.

The psych said "There's nothing to worry about, Serataline is very gentle, we give this children as young as 6 or 7.  Buspar to those that are younger."

They are destroying lives and families.

My son has three friends that are on some type of SSRI since they are 10.  It's a travesty.

How have you been, have you stablized at all?

Med History - 2014 - 2020 - Zoloft, Effexor, Klonopin, Lexapro, Buspar (No longer on any of these)

Went to my doctor for an annual and mentioned I was stressed, gave me Zoloft, stopped it after 3 months because it didn't do anything, ended up in withdrawal and was told I had a mental illness.  I've been diagnosed Bipolar and Clinically Depressed.  

Current Med Taper 

Lamotrigine - 25mg (May 21') -> 24mg (May 23') -> 23mg (July 23') -> 22mg (Aug 23') -> 21mg (Oct 23') -> 20mg (Dec 23')

Supplement: Magnesium, Fish Oil

• Mentor

People have been given expired covid vaccines here in Brazil. Over 26 thousand people. It's on the news everywhere and everyone is talking about it (I'm not one of those people).

Hi @Yesyes123

I just wanted to drop by to say Hi. Hope you've been doing well - I still feel grateful for the encouragement you gave me back in January this year. I'm glad you've stabilized! I know you will make it through the withdrawal hell. 

Peace and healing ❤️ 

2005 - Zoloft, 200 mg for childhood anxiety (starting at age 11)

Summer 2015 - Switched to Prozac, 40 mg  

June 2019 - Tapered to 10 mg Prozac, no adverse effects. Held for 1 year. 

June 2020 - Discontinued Prozac. Horrible withdrawal. Did not realize it was withdrawal at first. 

Nov 2020 - Reinstated Prozac 2.5 mg. Still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

May 2021 - Prozac 2.0 mg. Still experiencing symptoms - some symptoms have improved, but situational factors have worsened.

August 12 2021 - Prozac 2.25 mg. Partial reinstatement as symptoms had worsened

June 17 2022 - Prozac 2.0 mg; Sept 13 2022 - Prozac 1.75 mg; Nov 1 2022 - Prozac 1.5 mg; Feb 1 2023 - Prozac 1.25 mg; Apr 1 2023 - Prozac 1.0 mg; June 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.75 mg; Aug 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.5 mg

• Mentor

Thank you so much @Toastand everyone else here.

I haven't been posting about myself but I will eventually. Hope you all are healing and peaceful.

• Administrator

Brazil members, please post here 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 6 months later...
  • Mentor

Hello friends, it's been a long time since I posted here. I am feeling much better regarding my escitalopram situation, still tapering and in no rush to finish.

I will talk more about that later as I have a bit of an emergency right now and need suggestions.

I am suffering from severe otitis (pain inside ear) and it is soooooooooo painful. I've had this before as a kid and was instantly given antibiotics.

I know you guys obviously can't prescribe me anything, and I might be forced to go see a doctor sometime in the new few days if the situation doesn't improve. It's getting unbearable tbh.

But... i wanted to ask for suggestions, what would you do, and most importantly what drugs should I absolutely NOT take as someone tapering escitalopram?

I know I shouldn't take antibiotics but this pain is sooooo intense It's driving me insane.

Maybe it could be ok to take antibiotics, or should I ABSOLUTELY not take them?

I have been taking dipyrone every 5 hours or so to deal with thr pain and it has been somewhat effective but still hurting too much.

Thank you so much @Altostrata, @brassmonkey, @manymoretodays, and everyone

• Mentor

About the dipyrone that I'm taking for pain relief:

"Dipyrone (metamizole) is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. The mechanism of action of dipyrone is thought to be similar to that of other NSAIDs: inhibition of the production of prostaglandins. It commonly is used as an antipyretic, analgesic and anti-inflammatory."

• Mentor

@Shep, @Gridley, @Erell, @getofflex, @Rosetta, sorry to tag you all but I am suffering from the most intense phisycal pain I have ever endured in my life.

I am terrified to take new drugs and beginning to fear losing my hearing, it's just that painful...

• Moderator Emeritus

Doing a search for requests to create your drug signature it appears that you had previously created it.

However, now it does not contain any drug history.

Please (re)create your drug signature with DRUG HISTORY.  This will save the staff time having to read back through your topic to find the information.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it."

- Hellen Keller

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi @Yesyes123, once i had a very strong pain in my ear. I took a drug called "otocilase". 

March 2021: decided to go back to paroxetine out of despair: venlafaxine 37,5; paroxetine 40mg and zolpiden 6,25( current medication)

It is a liquid that you put inside your ear. Otosylase i think is writen like this. It was very helpfull and i think it is pretty harmless. 

• Moderator Emeritus
37 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

Maybe it could be ok to take antibiotics, or should I ABSOLUTELY not take them?

The first thing you do is be sensible and go and see a doctor.

If you have an infection it is generally best to take antibiotics, a full course.  If you only take a partial course then you might end up having to taken more for longer.

Be aware that steroids (possibly in spray form) might be suggested.  These sometimes cause issues.

cipro-levaquin-azithromycin-z-pack-and-other-antibiotics

Whatever is prescribed, make sure you do your own research BEFORE taking it.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

And my suggestion would be to NOT mess around trying over the counter things.  See the doctor.

• Mentor

Thanks @ChessieCatI updated my signature.

Isn't it known that people who are tapering often have severe spikes in symptoms following the use of antibiotics? 

• Mentor

I would like to point out I am positive this condition is not linked to escitalopram or ADWD as I have been stable for a long time and holding. 

I believe it was caused by excessive use of cotton swabs. I will stop doing that from now on.

• Mentor

It is currently 2:30am here. I will try to get some rest and will see a doctor in the morning.

I hope it's early enough to prevent this from growing into something more serious.

• Mentor
34 minutes ago, Matheus said:

It is a liquid that you put inside your ear. Otosylase i think is writen like this. It was very helpfull and i think it is pretty harmless. 

Thank you very much @Matheus

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Yesyes123 said:

sn't it known that people who are tapering often have severe spikes in symptoms following the use of antibiotics? 

They might have an increase in symptoms but not necessarily severe.

You can get a worsening of symptoms from your body fighting an infection.  And if you don't get it seen to and treated quickly you might end up having to take stronger and/or longer course of antibiotics.

You need to weigh up the pros and cons.

• Mentor

Thanks so much @ChessieCat that makes sense. I will be seeing a doctor in a few hours.

Guys, avoid using cotton swabs. I am pretty sure that's what gave me otitis.

• Administrator

@Yesyes123, you need to get the infection treated. If it gets worse, you could lose hearing in that ear.

You may or may not have an adverse reaction to antibiotics or steroids. If steroid treatment isn't absolutely necessary, I would not get it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor
43 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

@Yesyes123, you need to get the infection treated. If it gets worse, you could lose hearing in that ear.

You may or may not have an adverse reaction to antibiotics or steroids. If steroid treatment isn't absolutely necessary, I would not get it.

Thank you very much.

I just saw a GP and he said I need to see an otorhinolaryngologist.

I will go to the specialized doctor today if I manage to find one or tomorrow max.

13 hours ago, Matheus said:

I bought this Oto something drops yesterday and it didn't help. In fact the doctor I saw said I shouldn't have used this and it might have further irritated my ear.

I’m sorry that you are going through this.  I hope it gets better soon.  Ear infections are so painful, and they can cause long term damage.  Just make sure you get the right antibiotic.  It’s concerning that the doctor wants you to go to a specialist, but don’t worry yet.  It will be fixed.  I suspect your symptoms are more severe because of ADWD, and they sound more concerning to the doctor than they would otherwise.  I had so many instances of intensified pain that turned out to be nothing serious, and yet it’s very important to get it checked out.   Good luck.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Mentor
16 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

I’m sorry that you are going through this.  I hope it gets better soon.  Ear infections are so painful, and they can cause long term damage.  Just make sure you get the right antibiotic.  It’s concerning that the doctor wants you to go to a specialist, but don’t worry yet.  It will be fixed.  I suspect your symptoms are more severe because of ADWD, and they sound more concerning to the doctor than they would otherwise.  I had so many instances of intensified pain that turned out to be nothing serious, and yet it’s very important to get it checked out.   Good luck.

Thank you very much for the kind words Rosetta!

• Mentor

Thankfully got to see the specialist ear doctor a few hours ago 🙏

He said I have a bad case of external otitis and he drained out the pus from my ear.

He prescribed me the following:

- CECLOR 750: 1 pill every 12 hours for 5 days

"Cefaclor, sold under the trade name Ceclor among others, is a second-generation cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat certain bacterial infections such as pneumonia and infections of the ear, lung, skin, throat, and urinary tract."

- OTOCIRIAX (topical drops inside ear)

This is Ciprofloxin + Hydrocortisone.

3 drops in each ear 4x per day for 5 days.

- PRELONE 20 (Prednisolone)

1 Pill every 12 hours for 3 days then 1 pill in the morning for 2 more days.

- DIPYRONE 1G

Every 6 hours if too much pain.

I will take all of those as oriented. Thank you all very much.

• Mentor
14 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

PRELONE 20 (Prednisolone)

After searching for "Prednisolone" here on the SA search bar, I realised it is a steroid and known to cause severe complications even for people who have healed from ADWD. 

I will not take the Prednisolone.

I am still deciding whether to put the Ciprofloxin drops in my ears or not as that seems to be very problematic as well; but since it's a topical solution I don't think it could cause a disaster, so I might use it.

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, Yesyes123 said:

Isn't it known that people who are tapering often have severe spikes in symptoms following the use of antibiotics? 

Hi Yesyes123,

Not always, but best to be cautious with antibiotics......I do see that ChessieCat sent you the link we have on Antibiotics.  I did some Amoxicillin once for dental without a problem, and also another ABX(antibiotic) for suspected pneumonia once while tapering, and in some WD.  ( and oh, it was a Z pack for the pneumonia, and while I did okay with both of those instances......that was just me, case of one)

So you don't have Otitis Media then, an inner ear infection.  Kids get them a lot.  And more of my reply below what I quoted.

33 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

He said I have a bad case of external otitis and he drained out the pus from my ear.

He prescribed me the following:

- CECLOR 750: 1 pill every 12 hours for 5 days

"Cefaclor, sold under the trade name Ceclor among others, is a second-generation cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat certain bacterial infections such as pneumonia and infections of the ear, lung, skin, throat, and urinary tract."

- OTOCIRIAX (topical drops inside ear)

This is Ciprofloxin + Hydrocortisone.

3 drops in each ear 4x per day for 5 days.

- PRELONE 20 (Prednisolone)

- DIPYRONE 1G

Every 6 hours if too much pain.

Sounds like a bad external otitis......woah.  Sometimes the outer passageway of the ear when it gets inflammed is called "swimmers ear".  I used to do mainly pediatrics so I am a little familiar.  But we don't do medical here at all.

Off the cuff, Ceclor is a bit more okay than perhaps some of the others, antibiotics, in my book.  It's broad spectrum, so hopefully if bacteria is involved it will clear it up.

Did they culture the pus?

It's guesswork with inner ear infections, as to the bacteria.

Ciprofloxin+Hydrocortisone is a floxin and a steroid.  It is in drop from though......but go cautious with that one, and the oral prednisolone.  Again, these two, floxin antibiotics and steroids might even throw a "normie" into symptoms, and if you have been tapering and are still recovering from your last WD experience then.......just go with caution. 

Or me, if I was convinced that it WAS bacterial in origin I would prioritize the Ceclor over the rest.

And yes, what are you taking as far as Lexapro goes?  Have you begun tapering?  I'm not seeing that information in your signature either.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

*****again, completely off the cuff, or from what I recall, and not really advise at all, as I don't give medical advice, I'm not a medical professional, do please use your doctor and their staff for medical concerns

........otherwise, hope that helps and let us know how you do, and Edit/update signature too please ASAP 🐱B)💜

Edited by manymoretodays
more, always more.....disclosure

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi.  I would never take Ciprofloxin.  It is a quinolone antibiotic associated with a condition called “flo x x ing.”  Fluoroqinolones have serious side effects including mental illness.  It is one of the antibiotics that hurt suffers of ADWD.  In fact, even people who were healthy before can be damaged by Cipro.

Besides that, Cipro causes physical injuries including tendon ruptures and heart problems. https://blogs.bcm.edu/2018/07/25/antibiotic-ciprofloxacin-increases-risk-of-tears-and-rupture-in-mouse-aortas/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Mentor
7 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Or me, if I was convinced that it WAS bacterial in origin I would prioritize the Ceclor over the rest.

The ear doctor said the otitis was more than likely caused by my irresponsible use of cotton swabs, and it is bacterial.

I will only take the Ceclor and Dipyrone.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017