guile2: needing help on tapering olanzapine

guile2

So ive been watching what i eat fastidieously. I fast every day 16:8 (fast 16 hours eat 8), i also juice a cocktail of organic vegetables and a citrus fruit with my medicine daily and this helps with feeling like i cant face the day the next day. I also dont eat sugar or sugar substitutes(only organic honey dates and fruit). I also eat as little processed foods as possible and dont buy foods with chemicals in it as much as i can help it... 

But i was feeling a little like i wanted to branch out a bit so i bought a hilshire farm summer sausage. Soon after eating i got voices (havent had voices in 8+ months). (The voices got much better after a few days... i assume the nitates from the food has been slowly leaving my system)

I just thought this was interesting... whatever those nitrates are in the summer sausage i might have a drug interaction with. 

https://friendsforpeers.angelfire.com/Index.html - my website and discord server

Zyprexa (not sure what mg) But got off after a month of being put on in hospital. early 2007 Respirodol (experienced ackathesia so got off in 4 - 6 months from a 6mg dose) Later 2007 tried Seroquel but got offbecause didn't like it.  Later 2007 tried Abilify but had ackathesia, got off2008 - 2015 Unmedicated but on Serequel 800mg when hospitalized   Later 2015 - Unmedicated but put on Prolixyn when hospitalized (Had very uncomfortable stiffness so got off immediately when out of hospital)2016 Unmedicated but put on Haldol when hospitalized (caused Seizures and stiffness couldn't lay down for 3 days until taken off) Later 2016Tried Zyprexa irregular dosesEarly 2017 Put on Zyprexa 15mg stayed on 15 mg until 2020 January 2020 Zyprexa 15mg didn't seem to be working so increased to Zyprexa 20mgOctober - December 2020 Reduced Zyprexa from 20 mg to 15mg to 10mg to 7.5mg to 5mg to 2.5mg. Hospitalized January 1st 2021March 2021 15mg Zyprexa April 12.5mg Zyprexa  May, June and July 10mg Zyprexa, August 7.5mg Zyprexa, September 1st toOctober 23th 2021 5mg Zyprexa.  October 23rd - December 13th 3.75mg Zyprexa December 13th - January 12th 3.1mg Zyprexa HOSPITALIZED FOR 4.5 MONTHS put on 10mg then 15mg then 20mg of Zyprexa (Givenlong acting injection of Thorazine as well).  May 23rd 2022 Reduced from 20mg to 17.5mg Zyprexa, June 9th 15mg started nighttime. April 2023 taken off Zyprexa cold turkey and put on two monthly injections of Invega Sustena.

Update: 

The current dose I am on I have been on since Nov 22nd. I started to have some minor psychotic side effects but I have been able to manage without hospitalization or severe disruption to my life. On the positive side, I am able to understand what I read now(like 40% - 50% of what I could before I started on Olanzapine), and able to do elementary calculations in my mind again. My memory ability still hasn't recovered very well since this Olanzapine caused amnesia for years, but I am able to remember in snippits when I try. 

I really wanted to reduce by 10% at the end of my months pills however I reduced a little faster at the higher doses and think maybe I should stabalize on this dose for a while. 

I feel a lot of lethargy which makes it almost impossible to be functional, however I seem to be able to exercise my brain with Chess to a much higher degree than before. I just started reading a nutrition textbook from an old nutrition class I was in in 2007 which I really enjoyed the class (it's amazing to be able to track what I read again even if it is at a lower level). 

So the udpate is that I wanted to reduce by 10% at the end of this months pills but because of the psychotic withdrawal side effects even though they're not landing me in the hospital and I feel like I'm still able to function. Maybe I should wait another month at this dose? 

https://friendsforpeers.angelfire.com/Index.html - my website and discord server

Zyprexa (not sure what mg) But got off after a month of being put on in hospital. early 2007 Respirodol (experienced ackathesia so got off in 4 - 6 months from a 6mg dose) Later 2007 tried Seroquel but got offbecause didn't like it.  Later 2007 tried Abilify but had ackathesia, got off2008 - 2015 Unmedicated but on Serequel 800mg when hospitalized   Later 2015 - Unmedicated but put on Prolixyn when hospitalized (Had very uncomfortable stiffness so got off immediately when out of hospital)2016 Unmedicated but put on Haldol when hospitalized (caused Seizures and stiffness couldn't lay down for 3 days until taken off) Later 2016Tried Zyprexa irregular dosesEarly 2017 Put on Zyprexa 15mg stayed on 15 mg until 2020 January 2020 Zyprexa 15mg didn't seem to be working so increased to Zyprexa 20mgOctober - December 2020 Reduced Zyprexa from 20 mg to 15mg to 10mg to 7.5mg to 5mg to 2.5mg. Hospitalized January 1st 2021March 2021 15mg Zyprexa April 12.5mg Zyprexa  May, June and July 10mg Zyprexa, August 7.5mg Zyprexa, September 1st toOctober 23th 2021 5mg Zyprexa.  October 23rd - December 13th 3.75mg Zyprexa December 13th - January 12th 3.1mg Zyprexa HOSPITALIZED FOR 4.5 MONTHS put on 10mg then 15mg then 20mg of Zyprexa (Givenlong acting injection of Thorazine as well).  May 23rd 2022 Reduced from 20mg to 17.5mg Zyprexa, June 9th 15mg started nighttime. April 2023 taken off Zyprexa cold turkey and put on two monthly injections of Invega Sustena.

• 2 weeks later...

I am kind of concerned about supersensitivity of synapses that cause psychosis if reducing too fast. Benzodiapines were listed as one of the medications in the book im reading that supposidly cause this. (Olanzapine is a thesiobenzodiazapine)

I was on 15mg for about 3 years and then 20mg for 1 year and when i reduced too fast last year i ended up in the hospital where (you guessed it) only 20mg of olanzapine for 1+ months stopped the withdrawal symptoms. (They tried 10mg for 1 month didnt work then 15mg for 2 weeks didnt work). 

However im on 5.35mg of olanzapine now (just did a 10% reduction 5 days ago) and im still mostly fine and functional for now. 

But i am concerned about synapse supersensitivity caused by long exposure to this drug... the idea is if i reduce too fast i end up with "toxic psychosis" according to the book im reading. 

This kind of motivates me to stay at 5mg for longer than a month (hopefully i dont get voices at 5mg like i did last year. So far im doing ok. No voices on 6mg which i was on for 1 month before last reduction 5 days ago (5.35mg). 

What i was thinking if i dont get voices aat 5mg like last year when i reduced faster that i stay on 5mg for a while so my synapses hopefully will be less sensitive. So sets me up to reduce in the future without getting "toxic psychosis" from synapse supersensitivity that i read about. 

On 10/18/2021 at 9:00 PM, Altostrata said:

Hello, @Guile We're very concerned about people who are taking antipsychotics and had prior symptoms identified as psychosis. We don't like to see those people successfully get down to low doses of the drugs but then end up in the hospital with either withdrawal symptoms or symptoms that look like psychosis, which can be evoked by withdrawal.

(See "supersensitivity psychosis" and Horowitz, M. A., Jauhar, S., Natesan, S., Murray, R. M., & Taylor, D. (2021). A Method for Tapering Antipsychotic Treatment That May Minimize the Risk of Relapse. Schizophrenia Bulletin, sbab017. https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbab017 )

This is why we urge people with this history to be extra-careful tapering. As you may know, once you've been identified as having psychosis, if you go back to the hospital willingly or unwillingly, you are likely to come out on a hefty drug cocktail you will hate even worse than your current drug cocktail. We do not like to see people on this drug merry-go-round.

You have been successful so far, there may have been a lot of overcapacity in your original antipsychotic dosage. At lower dosages, people have to be even more careful to very gradually sneak off. You need to allow your neurotransmitter receptors a good amount of time to re-adapt, or they could do the supersensitivity thing.

Please be more careful in your reductions. It sounds like you went from 15mg Zyprexa to 5mg in 5 months. As a matter of fact, if I were you, I'd stay at 5mg for several months, don't tempt the dragon.

How long it takes for you to minimize your dosage without evoking psychosis-like symptoms is nothing compared to what would happen if you were see to "relapse". That would be additional years of misery.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Unfortunately I did the stupid thing, I didn't want to spend the time to get off at 10% reductions per month when I first got to this website so I went from 20 to 15 to 12.5 to 10 to 7.5 to 5 to 3.7 to 3.1... (sometimes I waited 2 months or 3 months before reductions, but the last two reductions were 1 month reductions) (This strategy ended up wasting 1.5 years because I ended up in the hospital with psychotic withdrawal symptoms for 4.5 months)

I ended up with psychosis somewhere around the end of the 5mg and beginning of 3.7mg which I managed without hospitalization until a month into 3.1mg when it got too out of hand and I ended up hospitalized at mid January and hospitalization lasted until beginning of May when I was stabalized on 20mg (after 4 months of updosing) and a long acting injection of thorazine. 

I started reducing again after I recovered because I was too uncomfortable from the drugs at that high dose. Now I'm back at a reasonable dose (5.35mg been taking it for 8 days), I started 12% reductions per month at 10mg until 7.5mg then 10% reductions per month below 7.5mg

at 6mg I started having some psychotic symptoms again (not serious enough to end up in the hospital) but on 5.35mg they mostly disappated for the last 8 days. 

I am doing ok at 5.35mg so far... I plan on reducing from 5.35mg to 5mg after a month and i'm thinking of staying at 5mg for longer than a month to see if any concerning symptoms happen. 

I do massive things with my diet, I do juicing of 3 huge cups of organic vegetable and citrus fruit juice every night with medication (2 huge cups at medication + 1 huge cup after 1.5 hours of taking medication) as well as organic turmeric/organic ground flax seeds. I don't eat sugar or sugar substitutes (fruit/dates/organic wildflower honey/figs - these are what I stick to no chemicals). I stay away from any processed meat (as it caused voices last month after eating), I don't eat Gluten, I stay away from any processed foods or additives to the best of my ability (can't be totally perfect). I also fast 16 hours a day before eating for 8 hours. I noticed the 16:8 intermittent fasting might have gotten rid of psychotic symptoms and the juicing always does some amazing things to mental health every time I consume (i don't juice anything bitter as bitter things are toxins that effect medication in the body). Of course staying away from sugar also helps immensely probably. And since I got voices after a processed pesto as well as processed summer sausage last month I stay away from processed things to the best of my ability and am careful to choose the ones without any chemicals for ingredients. 

I recommend doing either a 10% reduction per month or brassmonkeys slide scale at 2.5% reduction per week for 4 weeks then holding 2 more weeks afterwards (so a total of 10% reduction every 1.5 months) But I also feel like listening to my body is the most important thing instead of just blindly reducing every month. If I'm having symptoms, staying at that dose for a while. 

I have been doing 10% reductions per month ever since hitting 7.5mg. 

I also think that staying at 5mg for a while is a good idea.  

1 hour ago, Guile1 said:

Unfortunately I did the stupid thing, I didn't want to spend the time to get off at 10% reductions per month when I first got to this website so I went from 20 to 15 to 12.5 to 10 to 7.5 to 5 to 3.7 to 3.1... (sometimes I waited 2 months or 3 months before reductions, but the last two reductions were 1 month reductions) (This strategy ended up wasting 1.5 years because I ended up in the hospital with psychotic withdrawal symptoms for 4.5 months)

I ended up with psychosis somewhere around the end of the 5mg and beginning of 3.7mg which I managed without hospitalization until a month into 3.1mg when it got too out of hand and I ended up hospitalized at mid January and hospitalization lasted until beginning of May when I was stabalized on 20mg (after 4 months of updosing) and a long acting injection of thorazine. 

I started reducing again after I recovered because I was too uncomfortable from the drugs at that high dose. Now I'm back at a reasonable dose (5.35mg been taking it for 8 days), I started 12% reductions per month at 10mg until 7.5mg then 10% reductions per month below 7.5mg

at 6mg I started having some psychotic symptoms again (not serious enough to end up in the hospital) but on 5.35mg they mostly disappated for the last 8 days. 

I am doing ok at 5.35mg so far... I plan on reducing from 5.35mg to 5mg after a month and i'm thinking of staying at 5mg for longer than a month to see if any concerning symptoms happen. 

I do massive things with my diet, I do juicing of 3 huge cups of organic vegetable and citrus fruit juice every night with medication (2 huge cups at medication + 1 huge cup after 1.5 hours of taking medication) as well as organic turmeric/organic ground flax seeds. I don't eat sugar or sugar substitutes (fruit/dates/organic wildflower honey/figs - these are what I stick to no chemicals). I stay away from any processed meat (as it caused voices last month after eating), I don't eat Gluten, I stay away from any processed foods or additives to the best of my ability (can't be totally perfect). I also fast 16 hours a day before eating for 8 hours. I noticed the 16:8 intermittent fasting might have gotten rid of psychotic symptoms and the juicing always does some amazing things to mental health every time I consume (i don't juice anything bitter as bitter things are toxins that effect medication in the body). Of course staying away from sugar also helps immensely probably. And since I got voices after a processed pesto as well as processed summer sausage last month I stay away from processed things to the best of my ability and am careful to choose the ones without any chemicals for ingredients. 

I recommend doing either a 10% reduction per month or brassmonkeys slide scale at 2.5% reduction per week for 4 weeks then holding 2 more weeks afterwards (so a total of 10% reduction every 1.5 months) But I also feel like listening to my body is the most important thing instead of just blindly reducing every month. If I'm having symptoms, staying at that dose for a while. 

I have been doing 10% reductions per month ever since hitting 7.5mg. 

I also think that staying at 5mg for a while is a good idea.  

I’m glad that you are taking a more careful route this time around. In terms of your citrus juice - what citrus fruits are you using? Many citrus actually interact with Olanzapine and other drugs

Mid June 2019 to mid November 2019 - Escitalopram (Lexapro) 20mg (3 week taper - psych advise) 

Reinstated 2.5mg Lexapro 3rd Jan 2020 

Increased Lexapro dose to 5mg (0.06g) 11th Jan 2020 due to continual WD symptoms, Decreased Lexapro dose to 0.05g 7th March 2020, Decreased Lexapro dose to 0.04g 7th April 2020, Decreased Lexapro dose to 0.03g 7th May 2020

Mid June 2019 to 14 Jul 2020 - Clonazepam 0.5mg 

Pericyazine (Neulactil) 20mg 24th Jun 2020 - 12th July, down to 15mg 13th July - 19th July, down to 10mg 20th July - 26th July, reinstated 15mg Pericyazine 27 July 2020 - Accidentally took 20mg for 2 nights 5 &6/8/20, CT Pericyazine 14th Sept 2020 (Psych CT and replaced with Olanzapine) 

20mg Lexapro - 16th May 2020 - 9th Sept 2020 (Psych CT and replaced with Nortriptyline) 

10mg Diazepam - 5 Aug 2020, reduced over weeks to 7mg Tuesday 29 September, updosed to 8mg 2nd October 2020, started reducing by 0.5mg every two weeks - first reduction 12th December 2020, final dose on 18th March 2022 (off valium!)

125mg Nortriptyline - 10 Sept 2020 - Current 

5mg Olanzapine - 15th Sept 2020 - 29 Sept 2020, reduced to 2.5mg on 30 Sept 2020, back up to 5.0mg on 5th Oct 2020. Reduced to 4.750 on 9 Nov 2020, back up to 5mg Olanzapine sometime in January 2021 (current)

Supplements: beef liver, fish oil, vitamin D, zinc, iron every 2nd day

1 hour ago, Nicjk said:

I’m glad that you are taking a more careful route this time around. In terms of your citrus juice - what citrus fruits are you using? Many citrus actually interact with Olanzapine and other drugs

Well, It's a long story how I got started with organic vegetables (and an organic orange) but I did find out a variety of organic vegetables(and carrots. and i add an organic orange with the peels) really work well for helping with mental clarity and stopping the drug side effects the next day after taking medication when I take the nightly medication with the organic vegetable juice and another cup of organic vegetable juice 1.5 hours after i have taken my nightly medication. (Of course this works for me, but might not work for everyone) 

The reason I include 1 fresh organic orange as one of the 8 or 9 ingredients in my daily juicing as part of my juicing (of course the store juice is useless filled with sugar, and boiled to kill everything helpful so i don't recommend.) is because Scurvy which was a mental illness of sorts was cured in this fashion. However I am not sure if Citrus fruit interacts with medications you have to make your own decisions. (I know grapefruit interacts with medications)

My daily recipe for juicing: (everything is organic) kale/ "power greens"(can be googled. it is a mixture of organic nonbitter greens)/ spinach/one beet with stems/half an cucumber/3 -4 sticks of cellery - This is the first cup I drink of fresh juice, then I juice a second cup of (all organic) carrots and 1 orange (sometimes 1 lemon also or 1 lime (I include the peels). 

The second cup of juice I drink I take my daily medication with... Then I have some fun with my juicer and juice all the pulp 6 - 8 times again which brings out more of the juice in a 3rd cup (this really juices the first batch of vegetables well).  It gives me about a half a cup of thick juice which I then pour filtered water (don't like chemicals of tap water) over the juicing cup which gets more of the remaining juice from the juicer in the cup. I then mix 2 - 3 spoons of organic turmeric powder and 3 spoons of organic ground flax seeds and mix with the juice that i got from juicing the pulp and some of the water I rinsed the bowl of the juicer with. I drink this third big cup of juice 1 and a half hours after I have taken my medication. 

I then save the pulp which I have juiced until dry to get all the juice out and mix with water (the first pulp of vegetables in one container) (the second pulp of carrots + orange (sometimes a lemon or lime also) in the second container) I mix the pulp with filtered water. I then finish eating at the end of the day and fast 16 hours (since I fast 16 hours every day doing intermittent fasting, fast 16 hours eat 8 hours but sometimes cheat a bit over 8 hours - the key is the 16 hour fast I feel like this 16 hour fasting 8 hour eating diet might have helped with psychotic symptoms (no gaurantees, and I don't recommend fasting beyond this 16:8 diet). After the 16 hours of fasting, If I am doing some sort of daily walk I enjoy drinking the pulp with the filtered water after the 16 hour fast (although I don't always drink the pulp, it is just a bonus if I'm having more symptoms from reducing). 

I have found the juicing of organic vegetables + the orange always makes me feel mentally clearer and has seemed to clear up the feeling of being incapacitated the next day. However, I to somebody that's reading this, I would be careful to do what works for your body as somebody is saying citrus fruit might interact with Olanzapine (And I know that grapefruit does interact with all medications). 

(and as I also mentioned in the previous post I don't eat sugar or sugar substitutes. Try to eat organic as much as possible and try to eat as little processed food as possible) (I also stay away from anything bitter when I juice as bitter things interact with medication according to my nutrition class I took - they know that grapefruit stops medication from being processed in the body and other bitter things might do the same). 

--- 

This is something personal that I do, I'm not advising anyone to do what I do, you do any of this at your own risk. These are just my own personal coping skills, not professional advise. 

• Administrator

Good to hear you've adjusted your antipsychotic and you're committed to tapering more gradually.

Going off your antipsychotic is serious business. We don't like to see people bouncing into the hospital and getting a higher drug dosage and maybe other drugs added. This cancels out any effort we've put into peer support and any progress you've made in reducing your drug burden.

Best for the new year -- keep to your resolution to reduce very carefully!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Good to hear you've adjusted your antipsychotic and you're committed to tapering more gradually.

Going off your antipsychotic is serious business. We don't like to see people bouncing into the hospital and getting a higher drug dosage and maybe other drugs added. This cancels out any effort we've put into peer support and any progress you've made in reducing your drug burden.

Best for the new year -- keep to your resolution to reduce very carefully!

Yes i agree. I have to apologize for my stubbornness when i started this thread over a year ago. I wasnt in good mental condition... i couldnt understand what i was reading... my reading comprehension was extremely low from mental fuzzyness. I believe it got better at the last two months before i got hospitalized but i had severe voices and other psychotic things effecting my ability to spend time understanding the responses i had to my thread. 

But now my personality is restored, my intelligence is good again(not too fuzzy to understand), and importantly voices at least havent started yet. 

Im committed to going slow this time around. 

On 1/1/2023 at 11:47 PM, Guile1 said:

Yes i agree. I have to apologize for my stubbornness when i started this thread over a year ago. I wasnt in good mental condition... i couldnt understand what i was reading... my reading comprehension was extremely low from mental fuzzyness. I believe it got better at the last two months before i got hospitalized but i had severe voices and other psychotic things effecting my ability to spend time understanding the responses i had to my thread. 

But now my personality is restored, my intelligence is good again(not too fuzzy to understand), and importantly voices at least havent started yet. 

Im committed to going slow this time around. 

It can be difficult to find patience when we want to get off of these drugs but I strongly believe that the "slow and steady" model is really the only safe avenue to take to eventually become drug-free. I wish you all the best during your slow taper.

Pre- October 2022: Wellbutrin, Escitalopram, CitalopramSertraline, Adderall IR, Vyvanse, Propranolol, Buspar, Ativan, and Latuda

Oct 13, 2022 - Oct 24, 2022 and Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Zyprexa (2.5 mg). Jan 14, 2023 -> Began transition to liquid suspension. Jan 29, 2023 = 2.375mg -> Feb 12, 2023 = 2.25mg -> Feb 27, 2023 = 2.14mg -> Mar 12, 2023 = 2.025mg -> Mar 27, 2023 = 1.93mg -> Apr 10, 2023 = 1.82mg -> Apr 23, 2023 = 1.74mg -> May 7, 2023 = 1.64mg -> May 21, 2023 = 1.56mg -> June 4, 2023 = 1.48mg -> June 19, 2023 = 1.4mg -> July 2, 2023 = 1.33mg -> July 16, 2023 = 1.26mg -> July 31, 2023 = 1.2mg -> Aug 13, 2023 = 1.14mg -> Aug 27, 2023 = 1.08mg -> Sep 13, 2023 = 1.02mg -> Jan 22, 2024 = 0.97mg -> Feb 4, 2024 = 0.92mg -> Feb 19, 2024 = 0.87mg -> Mar 3, 2024 = 0.83mg -> Mar 17, 2024 = 0.78mg -> Mar 31, 2024 = 0.74mg -> Apr 14, 2024 = 0.7mg -> Apr 28, 2024 = 0.66mg

Oct 14, 2022 - Present: Prozac (40mg) upped from 20mg on Nov 1, 2022.

Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Gabapentin (300mg 3x day) -> May 3, 2023 = 300mg 2x day -> Oct 1, 2023 = 570mg -> Oct 15, 2023 = 540mg -> Oct 29, 2023 = 510mg -> Nov 13, 2023 = 484mg -> Nov 27, 2023 = 460mg -> Dec 9, 2023 = 436mg -> Dec 24, 2023 = 414mg -> Jan 7, 2024 = 400mg

My juicing recipe often causes a sense of euphoria nowadays when i take it with my medicine. 

Its not the medicine itself causing this because without the juicing i just feel drugged up and under the weather the next day to the point where im not functional. 

I think i am so lucky to discover juicing. Ive been doing it for about 5 months now everyday with medicine and started juicing around mid august 2021. 

What my fridge looks like today: 

I juice organic: Beets with stems, carrots, oranges (with peels), power greens (a mixture of chard/spinach ect)/Kale/Cucumber/Spinach/Cellery/(I just tried a few organic collard greens and enjoying it immensely, Limes/Lemons with peels. (I also add organic turmeric and organic flax seed to my drink) 

I boil vegetables as well (Organic): Brocali, Caulflower, Red Cabbage, Mushrooms, Eggplant, Squash/Zuchini (I don't like green beans because they get slimey). 

Raw vegetable juice is so good for my life. It has been making me feel really good after drinking recently. 

375.jpg

My nutrition (for daily juicing with medication) What my fridge looks like today: Every vegetable/fruit in there is organically grown. 

(and it's not because I'm rich... I am on government disability making 20 dollars more than the lowest amount) But I just spend most of my money a month doing this and eat organic beans organic whole rice and other grains and things like organic pasta with organic pasta sauce. 

I mean, this is totally worth it to me. 

2346785667.jpg

• 3 months later...

So I tried getting off of the meds I was on by monthly titration and just ended up in the hospital with major psychotic symptoms after 5 months of the meds not working even when reinstated. However they did just cold turkey the med and gave me a new one and its worked like a charm. All the psychotic symptoms are gone (except some minor ones) and i'm back to square one. But this time on a med that isn't causing psychotic side effects. 

Edited by Shep
merged in with thread after moving from another intro thread

• Shep changed the title to Guile2: needing help on tapering olanzapine

Well I'm just posting an update because I don't want to lose touch with this community. I got shot up with long acting injections I can't titrate if I want to get off unless I switch to pills and get addicted to the pills and then get off slowly. Not sure if I should just let the injections wear off without getting more. 

Is coffee dangerous?

I discovered after being shot up with Nvega long acting injections that the feeling of total crap gets significantly better with coffee. So I've been drinking a lot of it, but I also noticed a small increase in symptoms. I can't recommend it to anyone as I don't want to destabalize anyone. 

Edited by manymoretodays
added title

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/22/2023 at 4:51 PM, guile2 said:

Well I'm just posting an update because I don't want to lose touch with this community. I got shot up with long acting injections I can't titrate if I want to get off unless I switch to pills and get addicted to the pills and then get off slowly. Not sure if I should just let the injections wear off without getting more. 

Hi guile2,

Looks like you've gotten a name change to guile2 now, and so hoping you can sign in when wanting to post.

I merged a second post found alone in Symptoms and Self care, and it is helpful here because it was hard to know what your long acting injection was:

On 4/22/2023 at 4:55 PM, guile2 said:

Is coffee dangerous?

I discovered after being shot up with Nvega long acting injections that the feeling of total crap gets significantly better with coffee. So I've been drinking a lot of it, but I also noticed a small increase in symptoms. I can't recommend it to anyone as I don't want to destabalize anyone. 

Now here ^, you mention Nvega.  And do you mean Invega?

As in: Tips for tapering off Invega(paliperidone)

Do you have recall as to when, and even what dose you are given injections of? 

And then when possible try to update changes from Zyprexa(olanzapine) to Invega in your signature too.  I back read a little here in your topic and it is very unclear right now your medication history.

To get to your signature to edit you can use this link:  Account Settings/Your Signature

You may need to just look at your signature first, maybe make notes on paper too, before putting in this new addition/change to your medication history there.

You may need to consolidate a bit of the past couple of years there as most of the time the signatures can only be 12 lines.

Then when you have it set, go in and edit/update and hit SAVE at the bottom.

Hopefully no hospitalization this this drug change?  And then were you taken off the remainder of your Zyprexa/olanzapine orally when the injections began?

Here is the topic pertaining to coffee:  Caffiene in coffee, tea, soft drinks, tolerance issues

And I'm not finding a interaction with caffeine and Invega Sustenna showing up at Drugs.com which is a good resource for checking interactions.  Also, after looking at the topic that we have, on the Invega..... you might also just go to Drugs.com and put your new medication in the top box to read more about it.

If you are just using a small to moderate amount of coffee now, it is unlikely to be dangerous.  I would sure try just to keep it at a minimum.

Hope that all helps.  I'm sorry you had to go through yet another drug trial or are going through that now.  And hope that the worst of your symptoms have resolved.

Try and catch us up in a reply with recent drug changes and why.

And then also work on your signature when your cognition feels at it's best. 

And then when in a place of stability again, after possibly several months.......perhaps you can begin planning for another taper.

I hope that helps.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• manymoretodays changed the title to guile2: needing help on tapering olanzapine
14 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi guile2,

Looks like you've gotten a name change to guile2 now, and so hoping you can sign in when wanting to post.

I merged a second post found alone in Symptoms and Self care, and it is helpful here because it was hard to know what your long acting injection was:

And then when possible try to update changes from Zyprexa(olanzapine) to Invega in your signature too.  I back read a little here in your topic and it is very unclear right now your medication history.

To get to your signature to edit you can use this link:  Account Settings/Your Signature

You may need to just look at your signature first, maybe make notes on paper too, before putting in this new addition/change to your medication history there.

You may need to consolidate a bit of the past couple of years there as most of the time the signatures can only be 12 lines.

Hopefully no hospitalization this this drug change?  And then were you taken off the remainder of your Zyprexa/olanzapine orally when the injections began?

Here is the topic pertaining to coffee:  Caffiene in coffee, tea, soft drinks, tolerance issues

And I'm not finding a interaction with caffeine and Invega Sustenna showing up at Drugs.com which is a good resource for checking interactions.  Also, after looking at the topic that we have, on the Invega..... you might also just go to Drugs.com and put your new medication in the top box to read more about it.

If you are just using a small to moderate amount of coffee now, it is unlikely to be dangerous.  I would sure try just to keep it at a minimum.

Hope that all helps.  I'm sorry you had to go through yet another drug trial or are going through that now.  And hope that the worst of your symptoms have resolved.

And then when in a place of stability again, after possibly several months.......perhaps you can begin planning for another taper.

I hope that helps.

manymoretodays(mmt)

Yes I meant Invega. They gave me two injections 4 days between one of Invega 234 the other of Invega 156. I was told that's how the hospital starts people on Invega. They want me to take Invega 234 injections once per month (after 28 days from my last Invega injection). I tried to get off Olanzapine for years and was titrating it monthly but kept ending up in the hospital with psychotic symptoms. When they cold turkeyed the Zyprexa and gave me Invega injections I have been having no psychotic symptoms. I had reinstated the Zyprexa for 3-4 months to the original dose and was still suffering from psychotic symptoms that were causing me to be hospitalized about 9 times in 3 months. I hate Zyprexa... it had put me in a psychotic trance when trying to get off and put me in major drugged up state for years. 

It's interesting that Coffee counteracts the aweful feeling that Invega sustena causes. I discovered this and have been drinking a lot of coffee, I thought it increased symptoms slightly. 

As I stated in earlier post, I'm not sure how to get off these injections, whether to let them wear off without getting more or switch to pills and try to titrate. Because of my zyprexa experience I am weary of switching to pills at lower doses as I am worried about psychotic reactions but am also worried about psychotic reactions if I just let the injections wear off. 

22 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi guile2,

I hope that helps.

manymoretodays(mmt)

I updated my signiture. I also read the guide to getting off of Invega Sustena you posted. It's very interesting that the half life is 49 days but they keep shooting people up with monthly injections! These drugs must add up in the body because they're not getting out fast enough and putting more in. 

So I've decided that I am not going to take any pills unless I start getting symptoms. I'm just going to let the Invega injections detox over time since it's 49 day half life. Hopefully I don't end up with symptoms but if I do i'll start taking Invega pills. 

I'm upset at my psychiatrist. Apparently the last one moved on and they moved me to a new one in the company. The new one will only prescribe equivilent doses in pills to the injections they gave me in the hospital. The only problem is they gave me two injections instead of one because it was starting out... so if they give me equivilent doses in pills it will be like way too much. Then the Invega injections have a 49 day half life so if they give me the equivilent in pills as the injections I will be getting almost twice the dose of the doubled dose that they gave me to start the injections. Terrible psychatrist care. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/24/2023 at 5:16 PM, guile2 said:

So I've decided that I am not going to take any pills unless I start getting symptoms. I'm just going to let the Invega injections detox over time since it's 49 day half life. Hopefully I don't end up with symptoms but if I do i'll start taking Invega pills. 

On 4/26/2023 at 6:22 PM, guile2 said:

The only problem is they gave me two injections instead of one because it was starting out... so if they give me equivilent doses in pills it will be like way too much. Then the Invega injections have a 49 day half life so if they give me the equivilent in pills as the injections I will be getting almost twice the dose of the doubled dose that they gave me to start the injections. Terrible psychatrist care. 

Hey guile2,

Standard psychiatrist care.

From the Invega(paliperdone) topic:

On 9/27/2014 at 2:30 PM, Altostrata said:

Recommended initiation of INVEGA® SUSTENNA® is with a dose of 234 mg on treatment day 1 and 156 mg one week later, both administered in the deltoid muscle. The recommended monthly maintenance dose is 117 mg; however, based on previous clinical history of tolerability and/or efficacy, some patients may benefit from lower or higher maintenance doses within the additional available strengths (39 mg, 78 mg, 156 mg, and 234 mg). Following the second dose, monthly maintenance doses can be administered in either the deltoid or gluteal muscle.

Adjustment of the maintenance dose may be made monthly. When making dose adjustments, the prolonged-release characteristics of INVEGA® SUSTENNA® should be considered [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)], as the full effect of the dose adjustment may not be evident for several months.

So hoping you'll get down to just one injection a day next month.  Be sure to let "them" know if it feels like too much, and that may net you a lowered injection dose. 

And then there IS hope that with a few months stability you may be able to transfer to doing just pills of a equivalent dose.  In the link there is information on those equivalencies, and I believe the best time after a shot to make the switch to the pills.  Read the whole link and when/if that time comes we can engage Altostrata to advise on the dose orally and when.  It's an art, as the articles are more geared to switching from oral to injectible forms of the drug, to interpret.  We have had other members on this injection.

And here is what came up on a search onsite using the terms Invega in Introductions forum

Look for the member topics, you may learn more.  See what was advised to them.

You've got the main topic to continue to look at, and read through, and perhaps one day to contribute to as well.

Likely best right now to leave well enough alone.

Are you still working the dietary as hard as you were?  Feeling free from your particular bothersome "psychotic" symptoms?

You matter.  You courageous. And best.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
changed link to onsite search, offsite search link did not take

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

3 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hey guile2,

Standard psychiatrist care.

From the Invega(paliperdone) topic:

So hoping you'll get down to just one injection a day next month.  Be sure to let "them" know if it feels like too much, and that may net you a lowered injection dose. 

And then there IS hope that with a few months stability you may be able to transfer to doing just pills of a equivalent dose.  In the link there is information on those equivalencies, and I believe the best time after a shot to make the switch to the pills.  Read the whole link and when/if that time comes we can engage Altostrata to advise on the dose orally and when.  It's an art, as the articles are more geared to switching from oral to injectible forms of the drug, to interpret.  We have had other members on this injection.

And here is what came up on a search offsite using the terms survivingantidepressants.org Invega paliperdone

Look for the member topics, you may learn more.  See what was advised to them.

You've got the main topic to continue to look at, and read through, and perhaps one day to contribute to as well.

Likely best right now to leave well enough alone.

Are you still working the dietary as hard as you were?  Feeling free from your particular bothersome "psychotic" symptoms?

You matter.  You courageous. And best.

mmt

Im amazed at how organic produce effects my mental health. I have this aweful feeling nonstop from this new medication injections (invega). I got rid of it with a 24oz cup of fresh organic vegetable fruit juice. Carrots, 1 beet with stems, celery, half a cucumber, one orange with peel. Juiced it with a centrifigal juicer got rid of my terrible aweful feeling side effect (edit the horrible feeling comes back after a while since the medication is soaking in from my muscle into my bloodstream constantly). Also found out that fresh organic blackberries gives me like a good feeling high (doesnt do the same with other fruit). Organic produce is amazing. Im going to try it for side effect management. 

My psychiatrist is not letting me choose my invega dose which is concerning because i already have had 2 injections this month. I need to get a new psychiatrist... but im not planning on taking any pills unless i start getting symptoms and half to. Thanks for your response. I love organic produce effects on my mental health. 

• Administrator
On 4/22/2023 at 6:47 AM, guile2 said:

So I tried getting off of the meds I was on by monthly titration

What meds? What was your tapering method?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

17 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What meds? What was your tapering method?

Zypexa(olanzapine) caused major symptoms/side effects while on it since 2016 when i started it. It also made me so severely drugged up i wasnt even really aware. Thank god i got off of it. I tried monthly titration like 2 times and ended up in the hospital with psychosis the first time and the second time i reinstated and ended up in the hospital 7 times in 4 months. i believe the med was causing me major symptoms anyway for years and when it wasnt i was so drugged up i wasnt even aware. Finally they cold turkeyed it at the beginnig of this month and put me on two invega long acting monthly injections. So far i havent had too many psychotic symptoms and the zyprexa withdrawal hasnt triggered psychosis and its been almost a month from when the doctor discontinued it. 

So the zyprexa monthly titration didnt work too well for me but hopefully now that ive seemingly successfully gotten rid of zyprexa i plan to let these injections of invega wear off unless i start getting major symptoms so if i do ill start taking invega pills because injections stay in the body too long for my liking... i do believe that i have a chance to successfully get off of medication with my other coping skills like nutrition. 

I see the switch of zyprexa for invega to be a stepping stone from a medication that was triggering major symptoms/side effects and pyschosis for years to something that seemingly is not. So its my hope that being switched to invega is a stepping stone to being medication free but even if its not i seem to be tolerating invega much better which is a great improvement in health/symptoms. 

• Administrator

Yes, you will need to let the injections wear off and substitute lower-dose tablets if you want to minimize the antipsychotic. 

Another way is to arrange for injections of gradually decreasing dosage.

My notes for the last few days:

4/28/23 first juicing got rid of my terrible feeling after 1 good cup wore off after a while but juiced the pulp and got better. feeling happy after juicing eating sub and a few organic blackberries. 

4/29 even only 3 blackberries make me feel a bit happy i think or could be juicing remains in body or cheese. ate 3 more blackberries feeling a bit better. ate a handful of organic blueberries feeling happier. 

4/29 my intelligence returns after less than 24 hours of juicing ( i think around 11-12 hours)

4/29 9pm felt really good after juicing. 

4/30 again feeling really good after juicing. 

(I dont suffer with depression but i found out that organic blackberries have an interaction with my medication and make me feel unusually happy... only happens with blackberries tried blueberries mango and bananas doesnt do the same)

• Administrator

For what purpose are you supplying these notes, @guile2?

Talking about coping skills for my condition mainly how nutrition is helping me(focus on juicing). Doing juicing and organic produce whole foods diet sugar free 16:8 fasting and walking exercise. 

Sorry i dont mean to offend anyone. My official diagnosis is schizoaffective depressive type but i dont feel ive ever had depression (i get serious psychosis episodes when off medication). Doctor pointed to sleeping in late and life stressors for depressive type diagnosis justification which have resolved themselves. 

• Administrator

Good to hear you're taking care of yourself with consuming healthy foods. Fruits and their juices are delicious and full of nutrients.

Life is strange in that mistakes can be unforgiving. Two days ago i cleaned my fridge with chemicals and they got all over my food. Now ive been eating that food for 2 days and ive developed voices out of nowhere 😕

Not very serious voices... but really a shame how mistakes while being drugged up can cost me my health. 

3 hours ago, guile2 said:

Life is strange in that mistakes can be unforgiving. Two days ago i cleaned my fridge with chemicals and they got all over my food. Now ive been eating that food for 2 days and ive developed voices out of nowhere 😕

Not very serious voices... but really a shame how mistakes while being drugged up can cost me my health. 

I never got the voices thing.  Funny how my painstakingly retrieved and partially redacted psych records mention some.  It's all a ghost written crock.  Someone else's bad dream, I would say.

I have heard recommendations for Hearing Voices Network for those who do experience that phenomenon.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

On 4/23/2023 at 8:55 AM, guile2 said:

Is coffee dangerous?

Coffee is a great socially sanctioned legal drug to be rid of if you suffer any kind of anxiety or tend to restlessness.

It took me 18 months to get off the third time, so I will not be recommencing caffeine use.  I cross tapered coffee with decaf during the latter stages of my olanzapine taper.  It is a bear of an addiction.  I was damn near falling asleep on the job, but that just made me more determined to be free of its grip.  It takes a while but I would encourage anyone to drop their caffeine dependencies.

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

5 hours ago, hayduke said:

I never got the voices thing.  Funny how my painstakingly retrieved and partially redacted psych records mention some.  It's all a ghost written crock.  Someone else's bad dream, I would say.

I have heard recommendations for Hearing Voices Network for those who do experience that phenomenon.

Thankfully theyre not too strong. Just thoughts have a voice mimic which isnt that serious. But this is good reason to only use edible substances like vinegar when i clean my fridge. 

On another note my juicing has made me have "freakin a" feelings for at least 1 hour after drinking the organic vegetable juice (with citrus fruit as well)... have you tried juicing before?

I just got done talking to a physical therapist professor that trains students at the apartment complex i live in. She says its night and day the difference between the last few months of being on olanzapine and being taken off and taking invega injections. She said during the last few months i was unrecognizable. 

Some of the symptoms i had on olanzapine:

1. Beng so drugged up trusted people said i had become like a child mentally. (That has fixed itself)

2. Losing my reading comprehension in 2021

3. Being bedridden for almost a whole year 2020 so drugged i couldnt do more than stay in bed drugged out of my mind. 

4. Hypersexuality through the roof

5. Losing my ability to actually read in 2020 and 2021 so about 80% of all words slipped through my grasp. 

5. Losing my memory completely for example looking out the window of a bus and cant remember what i had just seen over and over. Couldnt remember what anything from the past. 

6. Things like video games became impossibly difficult to play do to seeming complicated i had to stop all gaming in 2020

7. Evil voices communicating with me. 

8. Awareness so messed up i was like zoning from moment that lasted a few seconds than live in another few second moment without a stream of concsiousness. 

9. Feeling entities communicating with me by my own perceptions (not voices). 

10. Body feeling controlled to do things and talk to people got so bad i was hospitalized 7 times just from jan 2023 to beginning of april. 

11. Major cognitive impairments

And yes most if not all of these things have resolved themselves after changing olanzapine. I hate that drug and whoever invented it should be put in jail for a very long time. 

I never noticed actual relief from any problem symptoms on olanzapine.  Just stupefying sluggishness, numbness and metabolic torture.

It did shut me up quite a bit and blind me to helpful nuances, which no doubt suited certain others.  I would suggest anyone seeking to have another drugged this way be required to undergo clinical assessment themselves first, as it is an extreme step to take against another person's health and liberty, and cannot seriously go unquestioned.

Well im at the point where i can only stand watching about 4 minutes at a time of any movie or show then i have to take a break. Thanks to 6 years of high doses of olanzapine for the brain damage. 

Uncaffeinated herbal tea. Anyone tried? Plz make suggestions inside

Hi i havent tried herbal tea yet im wondering what works for you. Please suggest some so i can try :)

Edited by Shep
added title after moving from another thread

On 5/5/2023 at 11:04 PM, guile2 said:

Well im at the point where i can only stand watching about 4 minutes at a time of any movie or show then i have to take a break. Thanks to 6 years of high doses of olanzapine for the brain damage. 

Yay ive discovered if i lay on my side so the arm i got the injections in is touching the bed i can increase my attention span of how long i can tolerate watching a movie from 4 minutes to 10 minutes. I think the blood flow from the injection site is effected by gravity from the way im laying down. This is good news because if this is not brain damage my attention will improve when theres less medication in my body.