Walleebug: almost 20 years on Celexa

Walleebug

Hi Walleebug,

I consider myself lucky I that have not experienced akathisia although I occasionally have a type of annoying form of restlessness/irritability of my limbs and body where I could not sit still but never the pacing thing thankfully, hopefully I never will (touch wood).

I get torso jerks/clenching as well. I don’t know why these poisons produce these unbelievable symptoms.

No one knows how they affect the brain, no one helps in the medical establishment, only the greedy pharmaceutical companies know what they have done 😡.

I’m still waiting for a pain free day to knock at my door. 

Peace and healing to you Walleebug.

Started 10mg escitalopram March 2016 and stopped CT Feb 2017.

Started 10mg citalopram May 2019

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Hi Walleebug, 

How are doing? 

I am sitting here on the settee and my torso is spasming as if it is exploding. 

I have difficulty speaking and breathing as it is all constricted there.

Did you experience something similar as well?

Much love

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

@Giuly88 I dont believe mine was that severe.  I could talk.  It was very uncomfortable though.  My throat muscles would contract like that too and it always scared me more than it hurt.  All of my muscles still have freak out occasionally but it's not as uncomfortable as it used to be.  I'm sorry you're still having it so badly.   If it makes you feel any better my face and eye muscles had severe contractions every day until last month when it finally stopped.  I sometimes get random like twitching now but it's 95% better.  I was 11 1/2 months off when if finally stopped.  Yours will too.  It takes a long time.

2003- started 2.5 mgs Celexa

Over the years upped to 10mgs.

2003 - .5mgs xanax as needed.  Took about 2mgs a day for 15 years.  Weaned off over 4 years.  Last xanax June 4th 2022.

July 20 2022- Started weaning Celexa

August 29th 2022 -Stopped 2.5 mg Celexa 

Fine for 4-5 weeks and started having panic attacks.

Sept 26 2022-Reinstated 5mgs celexa and started HORRIBLE side effects immediately. 

Stayed on for almost 5 weeks and stopped.  

October 31 2022- Off

3 hours ago, Walleebug said:

@Giuly88 I dont believe mine was that severe.  I could talk.  It was very uncomfortable though.  My throat muscles would contract like that too and it always scared me more than it hurt.  All of my muscles still have freak out occasionally but it's not as uncomfortable as it used to be.  I'm sorry you're still having it so badly.   If it makes you feel any better my face and eye muscles had severe contractions every day until last month when it finally stopped.  I sometimes get random like twitching now but it's 95% better.  I was 11 1/2 months off when if finally stopped.  Yours will too.  It takes a long time.

3 hours ago, Walleebug said:

Thank you Walleebug.

I cross my fingers. My diaphragm gets so tight. Things are gradually improving though however the waves and setbacks always come back.

May we all recover completely and soon so that we can have our life back.

Peace and love to you Walleebug ❤️

Yep, gotta love the waves that make us feel like we've done zero healing.   The good part is that windows are getting so much better.  The bad part is that the contrast between good windows and bad waves feel feel torturous.   I read back on my posts from months ago when I was saying I felt sooooo much better and I laugh because I was definitely not so much better compared to now.   It gives me hope that I'll continue to feel better and better.   

2003 - .5mgs xanax as needed.  Took about 2mgs a day for 15 years.  Weaned off over 4 years.  Last xanax June 4th 2022.

Sept 26 2022-Reinstated 5mgs celexa and started HORRIBLE side effects immediately. 

October 31 2022- Off

30 minutes ago, Walleebug said:

Yep, gotta love the waves that make us feel like we've done zero healing.   The good part is that windows are getting so much better.  The bad part is that the contrast between good windows and bad waves feel feel torturous.   I read back on my posts from months ago when I was saying I felt sooooo much better and I laugh because I was definitely not so much better compared to now.   It gives me hope that I'll continue to feel better and better.   

Please to hear this. I have also noticed when I get a significant and uncomfortable wave, once it ends my baseline improves. Waves equals healing, repairs being carried out. 

I have a tooth that's been bothering me but I am absolutely terrified to take the amoxicillin.  I've read stories of people getting akathisia for weeks or months after taking antibiotics.  I've had akathisia during withdrawal and don't believe I can handle prolonged akathisia again.   How often does amoxicillin cause akathisia?  What are my odds?  I'm so scared.

October 31 2022- Off

P.s.  I've read all the threads about antibiotics.  I know amoxicillin is supposed to be a "safe" antibiotic but I also know cases where it wasn’t.   I'd like to know the odds if anyone knows.

October 31 2022- Off

2 hours ago, Walleebug said:

P.s.  I've read all the threads about antibiotics.  I know amoxicillin is supposed to be a "safe" antibiotic but I also know cases where it wasn’t.   I'd like to know the odds if anyone knows.

Hi Walleebug,

Penicillin based antibiotics are usually safe in withdrawl from my experience here on this forum.

You might get mild symptoms for a week or so but no major setbacks. This is what I have observed on this forum. It is by no means medical advice. 

Avoid for sure the floxacin type antibiotics.

Much love ❤️ 

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, Walleebug said:

@Giuly88 oh yes, the reinstatement was horrible.  It caused akathisia for me.   I was 9 months off in August and I can remember I still had lots of muscle problems in my torso back and ribs.  Honestly,  I still have muscle contractions every day but they aren't as debilitating as they once were.  Mostly just random contracting all over my body now and nothing that takes my breath away.   

I think suicidal thoughts are quite common during withdrawal.  I've never been suicidal either but I was terrified I would do it during akathisia.  It's very hard when your body and mind are suffering so badly.  Please just know that it does get better.  I'm a year out now and it's still tough but not torturous.  It very very slowly gets better.   I have faith that others who have recovered are telling the truth.  I like to read old posts from people who've posted success stories to see how they were at 9 months or a year off.  90% of the time they were posting about the same things we are and thinking they'd never heal.  We will get there but it takes lots of time.  We are all here to help each other until it's time for our success stories. 

Hi Walleebug,

How are you? How are your muscles?

I have these abdominal tightness and jerks that are so annoying and now that it is cold my muscles are even more contracted and shake although I have seen some improvement but it is up and down.

Do your muscle symptoms keep improving?

Much love ❤️ 

@Giuly88 I've been in a bad wave . This is day 14 of the wave.  I'm calling this my muscle wave because all of my muscles have been so tight, very twitchy and a lot of contractions.  I've even been waking with my arm muscles jerking which hasn't happened in about a year.  Maybe it is the weather because a friend of mine going through withdrawal and is also 14 months med free is going through the same thing right now.  Prior to this wave our muscles had really calmed down.  I hope we all come out of our waves better than before it! 

October 31 2022- Off

1 minute ago, Walleebug said:

@Giuly88 I've been in a bad wave . This is day 14 of the wave.  I'm calling this my muscle wave because all of my muscles have been so tight, very twitchy and a lot of contractions.  I've even been waking with my arm muscles jerking which hasn't happened in about a year.  Maybe it is the weather because a friend of mine going through withdrawal and is also 14 months med free is going through the same thing right now.  Prior to this wave our muscles had really calmed down.  I hope we all come out of our waves better than before it! 

Sorry to hear this you will come out the wave soon. I tell you here in the UK is so cold and my muscles shake and contract. I shiver all the time and can’t regulate my temperature.

I pray for you as well. We will heal ❤️

It's very cold here too and I'm experiencing the same thing.  Literally,  everything you stated I'm also dealing with right now.   

October 31 2022- Off

On 1/6/2024 at 8:05 PM, Walleebug said:

It's very cold here too and I'm experiencing the same thing.  Literally,  everything you stated I'm also dealing with right now.   

Sorry to hear you are going through this as well. My back is killing me, muscles on the back are just so tight and very sore and painful. Sometimes I feel it on the ribs too. I don’t know what to do. 

Once January and February are out of the way the weather should be then gradually getting milder 😊 ❤️

On 1/6/2024 at 6:50 PM, Walleebug said:

Hi Walleebug,

How are you feeling?

Have you come out of the wave?

I wish my abdominal muscles would relax soon. I have seen improvements but it is up and down.

@Giuly88 I'm starting to feel much better.  I'm still having some muscle issues but I think the wave is mostly gone.  That was a long tough wave.  

As long as you're seeing improvements I think that's a good thing.   Hopefully it'll be like my eye twitching and just stop one day.  Right before my eye twitching stopped it was the worst it'd ever been.   I mean nonstop for a couple weeks.  Literally all day long.   And then poof, it was gone.   I've noticed symptoms that have disappeared for me have gotten really bad not long before it disappeared.   Hopefully that's what's going on with you.   I've had very bad burning since July and it's pretty much gone away after this last bad wave.  The burning was the worst it'd ever been the past 2 months.  Hopefully it stays gone!  

I know it seems hard to believe that bad waves are actually healing but I'm really starting to notice a pattern.   It's funny because I've read so many stories of healed people saying eventually they started feeling differently about waves because they noticed incredible healing after bad waves.   They began realizing that the waves were actually part of the healing process.   I'm honestly starting to feel that way too. I used to think it was ludicrous and that it was just damage causing more symptoms but I think it's actually the brain reconfiguring.  

I sincerely hope your muscles and brain work things out soon and I'm terribly sorry you're going through this. 

October 31 2022- Off

@Giuly88 I just noticed I didn't see the last message from you.  I'm sorry.   Are your back muscles still bothering you?  It's so crazy how much these meds affect our muscles.   This last wave was awful.  I sometimes get this disconnect between my brain and my muscles.  It almost feels like I have no control of my arms or legs. I do have control but it feels so odd.  It definitely feels like my brain and muscles aren't communicating.  I had it last summer for a couple weeks and it just happened again for a couple weeks in this last wave.   I also had the throat muscle contractions like in earlier withdrawal.   I haven’t had the severely painful muscles that you're experiencing in quite a while.   Thank God.   My muscles were quite sore in this last wave from the vibrating, shaking and tightness but it wasn’t severe pain.  Just uncomfortable and tense.  I know it's hard to hear but time is the biggest healer.  I guess we just have to make ourselves as comfortable as possible while we pass the time. 

October 31 2022- Off

13 hours ago, Walleebug said:

@Giuly88 I just noticed I didn't see the last message from you.  I'm sorry.   Are your back muscles still bothering you?  It's so crazy how much these meds affect our muscles.   This last wave was awful.  I sometimes get this disconnect between my brain and my muscles.  It almost feels like I have no control of my arms or legs. I do have control but it feels so odd.  It definitely feels like my brain and muscles aren't communicating.  I had it last summer for a couple weeks and it just happened again for a couple weeks in this last wave.   I also had the throat muscle contractions like in earlier withdrawal.   I haven’t had the severely painful muscles that you're experiencing in quite a while.   Thank God.   My muscles were quite sore in this last wave from the vibrating, shaking and tightness but it wasn’t severe pain.  Just uncomfortable and tense.  I know it's hard to hear but time is the biggest healer.  I guess we just have to make ourselves as comfortable as possible while we pass the time. 

Yes I definitely get that feeling of not being able to control my muscles.

My abdomen is always hyper toned and seizes up when I sit down. Do you get this?

My back hurts when I stand up but everything cycles round. 

What muscles are affecting you at the moment? Is there a particular position standing sitting or laying down when they play up?

I also have vibrations in my head and fingers? Do you have this? 

On 1/16/2024 at 1:46 AM, Walleebug said:

@Giuly88 I'm starting to feel much better.  I'm still having some muscle issues but I think the wave is mostly gone.  That was a long tough wave.  

As long as you're seeing improvements I think that's a good thing.   Hopefully it'll be like my eye twitching and just stop one day.  Right before my eye twitching stopped it was the worst it'd ever been.   I mean nonstop for a couple weeks.  Literally all day long.   And then poof, it was gone.   I've noticed symptoms that have disappeared for me have gotten really bad not long before it disappeared.   Hopefully that's what's going on with you.   I've had very bad burning since July and it's pretty much gone away after this last bad wave.  The burning was the worst it'd ever been the past 2 months.  Hopefully it stays gone!  

I know it seems hard to believe that bad waves are actually healing but I'm really starting to notice a pattern.   It's funny because I've read so many stories of healed people saying eventually they started feeling differently about waves because they noticed incredible healing after bad waves.   They began realizing that the waves were actually part of the healing process.   I'm honestly starting to feel that way too. I used to think it was ludicrous and that it was just damage causing more symptoms but I think it's actually the brain reconfiguring.  

I sincerely hope your muscles and brain work things out soon and I'm terribly sorry you're going through this. 

Hi Walleebug,

How are your muscles? 

My abdominal muscles are up and down. They tend to be tight more in the evening I don’t know why. They spasms when I sit down I don’t know why the sitting down position causes it.

How is your temperature regulating going?

💕

@Giuly88 I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I was in a wave again this weekend.   My muscles are getting better but I'm still having issues.   It's much better though.  My temperature regulation is finally back to normal.   This last big wave was the first time I'd had problems with it in quite a while.  

I guess it's good that your muscles aren't constantly tensed.  Do your stomach muscles tense when you're laying down? I know when I'm in a wave I need to lay day or my muscles are much worse.  

October 31 2022- Off

Hi Walleebug,

Glad you are out of the wave. If must be a relief for you 🙂.

My muscles have been bad, very bad over the last few days. I didn’t do anything to trigger them.

You know the solar plexus on the upper abdomen there is where my muscles are the the worst, they are always tight and sore. I do stretch them but they still remain tight.

But then the tightness moves round 360 degrees involving lower back, ribs, shoulders. When I sit down it is usually the torso that tightens up and squeezes.

Do you get these symptoms too?

Yes laying down gives me a bit of relief when in a bad wave with my muscles.

I’m pleased your temperature regulation is back to normal. Mine is ok now but it depends on the weather too.

💕

@Giuly88@Giuly88 Oh yes.  I remember those muscles being very tight for me too.  They were just tight and sore for me.  Well, I take that back. I do remember some spasming.  I didn't have the spasms a lot though.  I had bad stomach spasms . That was an odd and very uncomfortable sensation.   Im so glad thats gone!  I still get the torso tightening occasionally but very rarely now.   How far off the meds are you now?  

It's been a couple days since you messaged me so I'm hoping the tightness has eased up by now.   I'm having a day or two of very light symptoms and then a day of bad symptoms.   I don't think I'm totally out of the wave yet but I'm on my way out for sure.   Yesterday I woke with my muscles shaking and vibrating and today I woke with very calm muscles.   This nonlinear healing is hard.   

October 31 2022- Off

4 hours ago, Walleebug said:

@Giuly88@Giuly88 Oh yes.  I remember those muscles being very tight for me too.  They were just tight and sore for me.  Well, I take that back. I do remember some spasming.  I didn't have the spasms a lot though.  I had bad stomach spasms . That was an odd and very uncomfortable sensation.   Im so glad thats gone!  I still get the torso tightening occasionally but very rarely now.   How far off the meds are you now?  

It's been a couple days since you messaged me so I'm hoping the tightness has eased up by now.   I'm having a day or two of very light symptoms and then a day of bad symptoms.   I don't think I'm totally out of the wave yet but I'm on my way out for sure.   Yesterday I woke with my muscles shaking and vibrating and today I woke with very calm muscles.   This nonlinear healing is hard.   

Hi Walleebug,

Thank you for your reply. Glad your muscle symptoms have eased up and I know it’s all very up and down. My muscles are bad atm.

My torso muscles are always hypertonic. I don’t know what happened to them. I had them like that since April last year and when I sit down they also squeeze. When the abdominal muscles are not playing up then the back muscles start tightening up.

Do your muscles cycle round too affecting different places in your upper body like they do to me?

I’m going to hope this symptom goes because it makes me really lose hope that I will ever recover 😞.

Today I was standing still in front my son’s school waiting for him to come out and my back muscles were so tight squeezing me painfully.

💕

• 2 weeks later...

@Giuly88. Are you feeling better? 

October 31 2022- Off

Hi Walleebug,

Yes I do feel better but it depends on the day. Today my back is not playing up but torso seizes every so often. 

How about you?

@Giuly88 I'm so happy you're getting better.   Hopefully the torso seizing isn't as painful or harsh.  Hopefully it's like my vibrations.  Still there but not all consuming.  

I'm doing soooooo much better.  Almost as good as I was before the big wave hit.  I haven't had a food reaction in over 2 weeks which is definitely a record breaker.  My anxiety has been almost completely gone too for the past 2 weeks.  Definitely seeing some improvements since the wave ended.   I'm still having random muscles contractions.   Literally from head to toe but it's not overwhelming,  painful or scary.  My feet definitely still seize up but the rest of my muscles just have random contractions for the most part.  This last wave was horrendous.   Hopefully I never have another one that bad! 

How many months are you off now??

October 31 2022- Off

@Giuly88 also, how is your sleep?

October 31 2022- Off

Hi Walleebug,

So delighted for you and your significant and promising huge improvements.

I am improving but I have this persisting and torturous fear that I won’t heal.

My mood is good and I have energy and enthusiasm and motivation. If only these physical muscle contractions, pain and tremors would go I could go back to work tomorrow. 

I have been off nearly 12 months now however last June I used 2.5mg escitalopram just for one day do I don’t know whether that dose set me up honestly.

Healing vibes to us both 💕💕

My sleep is actually very good at the moment thankfully.

What about you Walleebug?

@Giuly88 I definitely understand that fear.  I fear I won't heal and I'll never be done with the vibrations,  contractions and anxiety but logically I know I probably will.  It takes a long time but things do just magically seem to disappear.    To give you hope I've had nonstop headaches,  eye twitching and heart palpitations since this started and all have disappeared.   I thought my heart would never feel normal again but this month it has stopped flip flopping and skipping beats.  Finally!  Will it start back up again in my next wave??? Maybe, but now I know it's capable of being normal again and it gives me tremendous hope.  My heart was definitely one of the most affected muscles and its feeling almost back to normal since the last wave. 

My sleep is almost perfect now.  It's been a couple months since I've woken with a pounding heart or panic.   During the first six months I'd wake in a half dream half awake state which was terrifying.  I'd wake hearing loud explosions like gunshots.  I'd wake in a panic or with a racing heart.  I couldn't sleep more than 15 minutes and it slowly got better.  Now it's nearly perfect.   During the last "muscle wave" I did wake with muscle jerking but that was unusual. It's gone now.  We are healing its just sooooo slow.  

I didn't start seeing huge improvements until about a year off.  Hopefully the reinstatement in June didn't throw you too far off but jut have faith that someday all the symptoms will disappear like magic. 

October 31 2022- Off

Hi @Walleebug

Yes I do hope with all my heart that the muscles tightness, spasms and pain will go like magic one day. It honestly feels like it is permanent.

The awareness of these pains just arising, emerging, hitting me by surprise depending on how I turn, stand, whether I push, pull or lift anything.

Basically the muscle issue is the only issue left however it is a debilitating issue because it involves pain and so prevents me from going back to work and resuming my life 😞.

Pleased to hear that your eye twitching and heart palpitations are now gone and that your sleep is now healthy and restorative 😊.

💕

@Giuly88.  I might be starting another wave.  My heart was flip flopping and skipping beats a bit today and my back muscles are very tense and sore.  

I'm very lucky that I work from home because even when I feel better I never know when it will start again.   If I couldn't do my job laying in bed somedays there is no way I could work.   I'm so sorry that you're stuck.  I'd love to sue the pants off these pharmaceutical companies!  

October 31 2022- Off

15 hours ago, Walleebug said:

@Giuly88.  I might be starting another wave.  My heart was flip flopping and skipping beats a bit today and my back muscles are very tense and sore.  

I'm very lucky that I work from home because even when I feel better I never know when it will start again.   If I couldn't do my job laying in bed somedays there is no way I could work.   I'm so sorry that you're stuck.  I'd love to sue the pants off these pharmaceutical companies!  

Oh no sorry to hear @Walleebug. It is just a rollercoaster.

As the previous wave ended this will end too with a better baseline.

Think this: if nothing happened we wouldn’t be healing. It is the brain moving, taking action to move, change things in the right direction. I liken this process to one of those balancing children plastic cups/glasses that never tips over but wobbles and wobbles until it gradually lesses its reaction and becomes still but then it can wobble again when you touch the cup to then achieve again the same point of stability. 

Can I ask you if you experience muscle pain as if there is knife grinding/grating them?

I experience this in different places randomly on my flanks, back, spine, ribs. Very odd. 

My fingers tremor too but mildly and not constantly. Do you experience tremors? 

@Walleebug

It’s very handy to work from home at least you can take a break, have rest every so often or stretch the muscles.

I was working in a school as a Teaching Assistant and Tutor before this ordeal began. At the moment I’m thinking of perhaps doing some tutoring, homework support for children in primary and middle school. 

I can’t wait to be functional enough and pain free so that I can leave home in the morning and drive to work.

Healing vibes to us 💕

• 2 weeks later...

15 1/2 months- I'm dealing with a new symptom.   Obsessive intrusive thoughts.  I'm constantly thinking about dying and all the horrible things that are probably going wrong with my body.  Cancer....etc....  this just started in the last few days.  I'm terrifying myself and trying to stop the thoughts but they keep coming.  Any advice on getting some control over this?  It's causing my body to freak out and vibrate constantly again. 

October 31 2022- Off

50 minutes ago, Walleebug said:

15 1/2 months- I'm dealing with a new symptom.   Obsessive intrusive thoughts.  I'm constantly thinking about dying and all the horrible things that are probably going wrong with my body.  Cancer....etc....  this just started in the last few days.  I'm terrifying myself and trying to stop the thoughts but they keep coming.  Any advice on getting some control over this?  It's causing my body to freak out and vibrate constantly again. 

Hey I deal with this off & on now for 21 months it cycles in waves. It feels like someone else took over your mind. Just know these thoughts aren’t really you. The more you freak out about it, the worse they get & the more anxiety your body gives you. It truly sucks. Don’t google cancer or anything like that it will just feed the anxiety. The only thing you can do is distraction activities & “change the channel” they call it. Walking works really well for me for the thoughts however it throws me into a wave so idk if that is best for you. Phone a friend, start a convo with someone, restorative yoga on YouTube, draw, puzzle, play a card game etc. I noticed the more stimulated I am the worse they get, so sometimes if I just lay down in bed they quiet down on their own.  @Walleebug https://npanth.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/waves-and-windows-in-ssri-withdrawal/

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again