Sonia009: Citalopram discontinuation/reinstatement

Sonia009

It doesn't feel like everyone has it. Pressure in the head and a pulsating intensity that feels chemical and electric, mostly in the head but also the body.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

2022 May - 62,5mg (doctor wanted to increase). Felt sick, went back to 50mg efter 2 weeks

2022 Oct - Reducing dose to 37,5mg (from 50mg). WD in few days, advised to go back to 50 - I then got adverse worse paradoxical effect

2022 Oct - Zoloft 50mg severe side effects/adverse reaction

2023 May 5th - Reducing dose to 25mg (directly from 50mg by Dr, WD).

2023 Aug 1st - Reducing dose to 12,5mg 

2023 Oct 10th - Removed dose from 12mg to zero by Dr. Tried reinstate 2,5mg citalopram after 3 months didnt work bad reaction. In Terrible WD.

Use melatonin 4mg. Lergigan 5mg. Omega 3, D-vitamin, magnesium glycinate, zink.

@Dahlia50Hi, I was off around three months before reinstatement. I know it's a long gap but I had to do something to try to ease withdrawal symptoms. I am more homebound now than I was before. Not sure what you mean by pulsating chemical pressure but I do know what you mean about having no life. I get a feeling of burning inside my abdomen and my legs, that's relatively new to me, mostly felt at night. In bed I listen to relaxing sleep music on youtube, I find it helps me sleep unless I get a period of racing thoughts. Sorry you are suffering too.🙏😊

2008 10 mg Citalopram, 2.5 mg bendroflumethiazide

2021 reduced Citalopram over three years,2023 5.2 mg Citalopram for approx. 1 year

Sept 2023 taken off Citalopram and bendroflumethiazide , put on Amitriptyline 10 mg and Ramipril 2.5 mg 

October 2023 taken off Amitriptyline and Ramipril put on Propranolol 10 mg

October 2023 put on Losartan 25 mg 

November 2023 taken off Losartan on Propranolol 10 mg 

December 2023 now on 2.5 mg bendroflumethiazide + Citalopram 0.5 mg.

February 2024, taken off bendroflumethiazide, on bisoprolol 1.25 mg

February 2024, taken off bisoprolol, on ramipril 1.25 mg + 0.5mg Citalopram, stopped ramipril.

There are too many symptoms to name. Pretty sure it's part of the journey to healing. Sounds like your brain is doing some resets..What goes on in our head affects our whole body.Just like all the other symptoms  this one will pass. I know that it is not a good feeling.  Hope it goes away soon.

Maria George 

Started mirtazapine Dec. 20 2023 and stopped January 20,2024.

Only 1 antidepressant

I get the burning in abdomen at night. They say it's nerves.

Maria George 

Only 1 antidepressant

@mariamiseryYou too, sorry to hear that. Last night I took a Senokot tablet for constipation and I actually felt my abdomen cool down, I swear it made me more restful too.😏

2021 reduced Citalopram over three years,2023 5.2 mg Citalopram for approx. 1 year

Sept 2023 taken off Citalopram and bendroflumethiazide , put on Amitriptyline 10 mg and Ramipril 2.5 mg 

February 2024, taken off bisoprolol, on ramipril 1.25 mg + 0.5mg Citalopram, stopped ramipril.

What is your mantra for getting through this? I have no life either.

Maria George 

Only 1 antidepressant

9 minutes ago, Dahlia50 said:

It doesn't feel like everyone has it. Pressure in the head and a pulsating intensity that feels chemical and electric, mostly in the head but also the body.

@Dahlia50I get noises in my head that sound like radiowaves if that makes sense, like a white noise whooshing sound 24/7.  Hearing sensitivity also like hearing a pin drop.

@Sonia009 Will try relaxing sleep music, thanks!

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

2022 May - 62,5mg (doctor wanted to increase). Felt sick, went back to 50mg efter 2 weeks

2022 Oct - Reducing dose to 37,5mg (from 50mg). WD in few days, advised to go back to 50 - I then got adverse worse paradoxical effect

2023 Oct 10th - Removed dose from 12mg to zero by Dr. Tried reinstate 2,5mg citalopram after 3 months didnt work bad reaction. In Terrible WD.

Just now, mariamisery said:

What is your mantra for getting through this? I have no life either.

@mariamiseryI am trying to stay more positive, taking reassurance from others like yourself, believing I am not alone in this and we will get through it. I am more diet conscious now and make more of an effort to eat regularly even if I don't feel like it. I eat protein, veg and fruit even though I dislike fruit, I drink lots of water. I avoid all supplements, tried them but they had bad effects on me. This has only happened for a week since realising how much weight I've lost and how horrid I look. Prior to that I did not feel up to eating or looking after myself properly.

I have thoose noises in my head too 24/7, buzzing sound. When I lie down by myself, hear it even more. Hearing sensitive too, never had before. 
So many strange symptoms that I sometimes get scared. And to explain it to someone who hasn't been through this, they don't understand and think you're exaggerating

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

16 minutes ago, Dahlia50 said:

I have thoose noises in my head too 24/7, buzzing sound. When I lie down by myself, hear it even more. Hearing sensitive too, never had before. 
So many strange symptoms that I sometimes get scared. And to explain it to someone who hasn't been through this, they don't understand and think you're exaggerating

@Dahlia50Well I and many others here know you are not exaggerating, it is very real and a ruddy nuisance. I think mine started when I started Citalopram, it is a side effect and probably the same can be said of many others meds. Aspirin is another culprit. Mine has intensified since reinstating Citalopram. I was never this sensitive to hearing before but this past week I can even hear my neighbours closing their internal doors and their mobile phone vibrating.

4 hours ago, Sonia009 said:

Hi, has anyone experienced the feeling of extreme weakness, like you cannot stand up for long? I seem to be going through that for a few days. Just wondering if It's another withdrawal symptoms or a reinstatement symptom even. Thanks.

@Sonia009hi Sonia

I went through that last year. I did rapidly lose a lot of weight last year in withdrawals and for a few weeks I couldn't even stand up in the shower as I was too exhausted. It did get better but I tried to eat little and often and included nuts and protein to build myself up.

So it could be withdrawals/reinstatement or due to weight loss. The body gets tired I guess as mentally you're exhausted so it affects your physical being. Hopefully it is temporary because of what you've been through. All I could do was wait and eat and kept my fluids up. Maybe someone else will have a better reason for why you are feeling this way.

1998 - Levothyroxine 100 mg daily, (radioactive iodine treatment twice) and  Asthma steroid inhaler daily

2012 - Citalopram 20 mg daily for panic attacks

2020 - Citalopram 10 mg daily.

2022 - August. Gastritis, Omeprazole 20 mg for 2 weeks. Continual pain, changed diet.

August. Severe anxiety. High cortisone levels 24/7

September. Citalopram 20 mg daily

October. Citalopram 30 mg daily, reduced to 20 mg. Diazepam 2 mg and Promethazine

November. Citalopram 5 mg, changed to Sertraline 25 mg. Hallucinations, head pressure.

December. Mirtazapine 7.5 mg. Stopped all drugs (except Levothyroxine). Cold turkey, 5 days, nightmares, nausea, high anxiety, head pressure, jumbled brain, weird thoughts. Reinstated Citalopram 2.5 mg, increasing to 5 mg. Continuing on 5 mg, not stabilised. Terrible symptoms, jaw clenching, tearful, doom, chest pressure etc etc. 

13 minutes ago, HelenR said:

@Sonia009hi Sonia

I went through that last year. I did rapidly lose a lot of weight last year in withdrawals and for a few weeks I couldn't even stand up in the shower as I was too exhausted. It did get better but I tried to eat little and often and included nuts and protein to build myself up.

So it could be withdrawals/reinstatement or due to weight loss. The body gets tired I guess as mentally you're exhausted so it affects your physical being. Hopefully it is temporary because of what you've been through. All I could do was wait and eat and kept my fluids up. Maybe someone else will have a better reason for why you are feeling this way.

@HelenRHi, how are you, still in a window?

Yes these symptoms are weird, even the doctors in A&E only came up with low blood pressure or stress. I was also a little dehydrated. Thank goodness there was nothing else. Reassuring to know others have had similar symptoms. Hope your mum is doing ok.🙏😊

33 minutes ago, Sonia009 said:

@HelenRHi, how are you, still in a window?

Yes these symptoms are weird, even the doctors in A&E only came up with low blood pressure or stress. I was also a little dehydrated. Thank goodness there was nothing else. Reassuring to know others have had similar symptoms. Hope your mum is doing ok.🙏😊

@Sonia009yes I'm.in the window still but mum's in hospital. She has COPD and I was warned she may not make it through this time. I went to hospital to see her but it was traumatic to see her struggle to breath. I've got to keep strong as she needs my support and love so I'm trying to draw on what I learnt in the weeks of counselling I had when I was suffering last year. I struggle with health anxiety but I shall not let it beat me, I'm not sure if mum will make it through but I'm grateful for this window. I do hope you improve very soon Sonia, it affects us mentally when it goes on for so long in withdrawals.  

1998 - Levothyroxine 100 mg daily, (radioactive iodine treatment twice) and  Asthma steroid inhaler daily

2012 - Citalopram 20 mg daily for panic attacks

2020 - Citalopram 10 mg daily.

2022 - August. Gastritis, Omeprazole 20 mg for 2 weeks. Continual pain, changed diet.

August. Severe anxiety. High cortisone levels 24/7

September. Citalopram 20 mg daily

October. Citalopram 30 mg daily, reduced to 20 mg. Diazepam 2 mg and Promethazine

November. Citalopram 5 mg, changed to Sertraline 25 mg. Hallucinations, head pressure.

December. Mirtazapine 7.5 mg. Stopped all drugs (except Levothyroxine). Cold turkey, 5 days, nightmares, nausea, high anxiety, head pressure, jumbled brain, weird thoughts. Reinstated Citalopram 2.5 mg, increasing to 5 mg. Continuing on 5 mg, not stabilised. Terrible symptoms, jaw clenching, tearful, doom, chest pressure etc etc. 

20 minutes ago, HelenR said:

@Sonia009yes I'm.in the window still but mum's in hospital. She has COPD and I was warned she may not make it through this time. I went to hospital to see her but it was traumatic to see her struggle to breath. I've got to keep strong as she needs my support and love so I'm trying to draw on what I learnt in the weeks of counselling I had when I was suffering last year. I struggle with health anxiety but I shall not let it beat me, I'm not sure if mum will make it through but I'm grateful for this window. I do hope you improve very soon Sonia, it affects us mentally when it goes on for so long in withdrawals.  

@HelenR I'm so sorry to hear that Helen, it must emotionally challenging for you all.  I send my warmest wishes to you and your family, stay strong. 🙏

Hi, I reinstated 0.5 mg Citalopram 11 weeks ago in the hope that I would feel somewhat better by now. I don't feel any better, my dizziness is worse. I cannot function like this but I try to remain positive.  Should I stop, should I increase/decrease? Can someone please advise, many thanks.

Stay strong! Can't tell you about tapering.  Do what you feel is best to help yourself get better. Others can make suggestions but it may not be what helps. We can feel so desperate when not feeling well. You got this. 

Maria George 

Only 1 antidepressant

6 minutes ago, mariamisery said:

Stay strong! Can't tell you about tapering.  Do what you feel is best to help yourself get better. Others can make suggestions but it may not be what helps. We can feel so desperate when not feeling well. You got this. 

@mariamiseryThanks for that. Bad day today, feel like just doing very little and feeling like collapsing in a heap. How are you?

It  happens the same way every day  lately.  Breathing but feelings like I am having trouble doing it. Then the awful feelings start. Trying to not pay attention to sensations.  Forcibg myself to move around.  We are strong  and can get through this. As I said before having others to do this with helps.  Hope you make the right decision.

Maria George 

Only 1 antidepressant

8 minutes ago, mariamisery said:

It  happens the same way every day  lately.  Breathing but feelings like I am having trouble doing it. Then the awful feelings start. Trying to not pay attention to sensations.  Forcibg myself to move around.  We are strong  and can get through this. As I said before having others to do this with helps.  Hope you make the right decision.

@mariamiseryDo you think your symptom resembles a panic attack? I've been wondering about that myself. Do you ever feel on the verge of collapse?

It comes wth a calmness  and  my body slows down and walking a short way causes heart palpitations.  This is so hard. What do you do to get through the day?

Maria George 

Only 1 antidepressant

9 minutes ago, mariamisery said:

It comes wth a calmness  and  my body slows down and walking a short way causes heart palpitations.  This is so hard. What do you do to get through the day?

@mariamiseryNot a lot. I potter around in the morning, go back to bed. Crossword puzzles, colouring, gone off knitting but probably couldn't do it anyway. I feel so lethargic. I miss walking my dog, I have a dog walker every day now. I try to cook but I don't feel up to doing that anymore. I feel useless. I hope this passes and it's just another withdrawal symptom.

I get palpitations but not as bad now, just like you, least exertion and they would start. It was scary. I thought I had POTS but they ruled that out at hospital.

Have you decided if you will stop medication?  Pretty sure it is withdrawal.  Are you able to get rest a night. If you can force yourself to go outside for even 5 minutes 

Maria George 

Only 1 antidepressant

5 minutes ago, mariamisery said:

Have you decided if you will stop medication?  Pretty sure it is withdrawal.  Are you able to get rest a night. If you can force yourself to go outside for even 5 minutes 

@mariamiseryI take my med at 11am, this morning I haven't taken it. I sleep ok, I get up once or twice in the night but usually go back to sleep. I went out visiting on Saturday but couldn't wait to get home. I haven't felt like going out but perhaps I should try. There's just so many unanswered questions that worries me. How do you pass your time?

I feel on the verge of collapse. Or the system will crash. My head spins with such intensity sometimes that I think it's going to crash. My sleep is a disaster right now. But I'm probably a worse case, too fast taper for having taken the substance for 13 years. Wish I could go back and do differently.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• Mentor
1 minute ago, Dahlia50 said:

I feel on the verge of collapse. Or the system will crash. My head spins with such intensity sometimes that I think it's going to crash.

I definitelly relate to this. So sorry even your sleep cannot be a moment of relief... Please forgive yourself, you didn't know what will happen before.

22.10.2020 sertraline (50 upped to 100mg for two months) and pregabalin (150mg for half year)

2021 mirtazapine (30mg for some months), amitryptyline (cascading dose but doctor took me off it before reaching five tablets), olanzapine (5mg), lithium (this one I reacted to terribly as well, maybe due to my Hashimoto disease)

2022 duloxetine, reboxetine, venlafaxine (all unsuccessful attemps stopped after one day with no side effects following days, only reboxetine pushed through with one box)

2023 mainly bupropion (150mg stopped after few weeks, 300mg stopped after few another weeks, 150mg stopped after few months) until IAR, buspirone (5mg) tried for 3 days 

autumn 2023 - 150mg bupropion daily,

12.12.2023 - bupropion stopped,

16.12.2023 - 100mg sertraline,

18.12.2023 - 150mg bupropion,

19, 20 & 21.12.2023 - 150mg bupropion & 5mg buspirone,

Nothing ever since 21.12.2023.

I was forcing myself to gym but not this week. I was going but stopped on last Friday.  It seems like my body really wants to heal and making me feel really awful will keep me more still. I try to journal and go for a short walk. Force myself to do everything else. I don't even feel like taking care of myself. Brushing teeth is a chore. Going out is very difficult!! Surviving this is the goal.

Maria George 

Only 1 antidepressant

3 minutes ago, Dahlia50 said:

I feel on the verge of collapse. Or the system will crash. My head spins with such intensity sometimes that I think it's going to crash. My sleep is a disaster right now. But I'm probably a worse case, too fast taper for having taken the substance for 13 years. Wish I could go back and do differently.

@Dahlia50Hi, how long have you felt like this if you don't mind me asking? I was in A&E last week and they knew about my feeling faint but couldn't see why, apart from saying my bp must have dropped. I asked if it could be Citalopram withdrawal but they just don't seem to understand about withdrawal. I wish they did, it would be very reassuring.

4 minutes ago, BaccatePlayer said:

I definitelly relate to this. So sorry even your sleep cannot be a moment of relief... Please forgive yourself, you didn't know what will happen before.

@BaccatePlayerHi, do you feel like on the verge of collapse of fainting too? So sorry to hear that. These symptoms are so scary.😊

• Mentor
3 minutes ago, Sonia009 said:

@BaccatePlayerHi, do you feel like on the verge of collapse of fainting too? So sorry to hear that. These symptoms are so scary.😊

Yes. It's just lately when I told myself "remember you won't actually collapse" and sort of got used to it, but at first it was very difficult not to panic because of it. Indeed the worst part is how scary this is. You have to observe time passing with you in this state and even realizing this increases panic. Literally deceiving your senses because they tell you you're getting weaker and weaker but it's something no one could externally tell.

22.10.2020 sertraline (50 upped to 100mg for two months) and pregabalin (150mg for half year)

2021 mirtazapine (30mg for some months), amitryptyline (cascading dose but doctor took me off it before reaching five tablets), olanzapine (5mg), lithium (this one I reacted to terribly as well, maybe due to my Hashimoto disease)

2022 duloxetine, reboxetine, venlafaxine (all unsuccessful attemps stopped after one day with no side effects following days, only reboxetine pushed through with one box)

2023 mainly bupropion (150mg stopped after few weeks, 300mg stopped after few another weeks, 150mg stopped after few months) until IAR, buspirone (5mg) tried for 3 days 

8 minutes ago, mariamisery said:

I was forcing myself to gym but not this week. I was going but stopped on last Friday.  It seems like my body really wants to heal and making me feel really awful will keep me more still. I try to journal and go for a short walk. Force myself to do everything else. I don't even feel like taking care of myself. Brushing teeth is a chore. Going out is very difficult!! Surviving this is the goal.

@mariamiseryI think we try too hard sometimes because we want to get back to normal. It doesn't always work. It's so easy to give up I know because there have been times when I have felt too ill to make myself something to eat and have gone without because I have not wanted to bother my husband. He has been ill too following his TIA two years ago. He's on Citalopram, came off sertraline and getting symptoms. He is able to drive now though thank goodness. 

@Sonia009 Last 2 months but worse last weeks. Can barley walk or stand up for long. Actually in hospital right now and they dont understand WD, or dont want to. 
I’ve told them you should be allowed to be in hospital with severe WD for a while without taking drugs. But they have their principles. They offer me 1mg zoloft but I can't decide. Don't know if it helps WD.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

3 minutes ago, BaccatePlayer said:

Yes. It's just lately when I told myself "remember you won't actually collapse" and sort of got used to it, but at first it was very difficult not to panic because of it. Indeed the worst part is how scary this is. You have to observe time passing with you in this state and even realizing this increases panic. Literally deceiving your senses because they tell you you're getting weaker and weaker but it's something no one could externally tell.

@BaccatePlayerI hadn't realised it was part of withdrawal, it's reassuring to know that it is. I thought perhaps it was a panic attack. How long has it been going on for you?

17 minutes ago, mariamisery said:

I was forcing myself to gym but not this week. I was going but stopped on last Friday.  It seems like my body really wants to heal and making me feel really awful will keep me more still. I try to journal and go for a short walk. Force myself to do everything else. I don't even feel like taking care of myself. Brushing teeth is a chore. Going out is very difficult!! Surviving this is the goa

@BaccatePlayer Indeed its really scary.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

1 minute ago, Dahlia50 said:

@Sonia009 Last 2 months but worse last weeks. Can barley walk or stand up for long. Actually in hospital right now and they dont understand WD, or dont want to. 
I’ve told them you should be allowed to be in hospital with severe WD for a while without taking drugs. But they have their principles. They offer me 1mg zoloft but I can't decide. Don't know if it helps WD.

@Dahlia50 I don't know about zoloft, if It's a Benzo my doctor won't prescribe them. Perhaps someone here could advise you, I do hope so. I was in hospital last weekend with similar symptoms, spent 18 hours there. They don't get withdrawal either.

• Mentor
1 minute ago, Sonia009 said:

@BaccatePlayerI hadn't realised it was part of withdrawal, it's reassuring to know that it is. I thought perhaps it was a panic attack. How long has it been going on for you?

Yes, it is in Glenmullen's withdrawal symptoms list though sometimes they're described so briefly we can't exactly figure that we're having a variant of a given symptom. Obviously if you add panic, this may grow more intense, but false sensation of feeling like you're losing it can occur when you're seemingly composed. I think it may have started after initial hypersensitivity reaction went away and I was left with main instability symptoms, so January meaning 2-2.5 months ago.