☼ Hudgens's story

Hudgens

Hudgens, so so happy for you and the way you've been feeling. I got a mental picture of you breaking into a run! Bet you've been wanting to do that for so long, it's fantastic to hear of people feeling better, long may it last. Hope you get another decent nights sleep. Tons of hugs. Xxxxxxx

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hudgens

• Altostrata

• alex

• Lexy

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate that, Fizz. Yesterday was yet another good day, worked until 430 and then went to the beach. Slept very well last night. This is my fourth day at my new lower dose, I won't be surprised

if a get some bad days, but maybe this time, since I waited so long to make this drop, I might not get as much bad stuff as in the past. Hope you're doing well, Hudgens

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

5th day since new dose, not too bad, got a lot done and then went to sit on the beach, turned out to be a beautiful day. I felt absolutely normal all day until now as I approach bedtime, I'm getting some mild anxiety, but nothing unmanageable.

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Today wasn't so good, anxiety between mild and moderate all day, doesn't even seem to be easing at bedtime. Still, I got work done, walked, read at the beach and attended a community clam bake. So I'm functional and enjoying things so far even on days like this. And I know-- as long as the good days out number the bad, I'm still going in the right direction.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Another bad day. Sort of took the day off, although it really wasn't so bad that I had to. Didn't sleep too well last night and so spent the day napping and reading, although I did take a 20 minute walk in the afternoon. Anxiety and flu-like symptoms most of the day right up until now, bedtime. Well this can't really be said to be unexpected 6 days after a drop. But I'm sure I will get through it fine and be feeling good again soon.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

A much better day, Good night's sleep last night. Flu-like symptom for two hours in the morning, gone by 10 am. Felt good the rest of the day-worked until 3pm, then food shopping and library, beach, walked, watched movie (Zero Dark Thirty). Still fine at bedtime, now book and bed.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Another good night's sleep last night and an even better day today than yesterday. Walked a little further than usual, very tired now at bedtime. Managing to completely forget about tappering and WD symptoms for periods of several hours at a time lately. I think this is the 9th day since the drop.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

No WD symptoms today.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

No WD symptoms today.

That's what I like to hear.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Mood was a little low this morning but up again by early afternoon, some very mild background anxiety most of day. Not a bad day, though, overall.

It seems a long time since the WD has prevented me from doing what I want to do. This seems to be a whole new phase of the recovery. I don't seem to get waves anymore, just one or two bad days here and there, and even then the symptoms aren't as bad as they used to be. Something has definitely changed for the better.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Yesterday was a good day and today is starting out pretty good, too. This drop has been very easy so far, only a couple of bad days so far. And even those were manageable. I think this is day 10 already.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Pretty good day, very productive, exercised and sat and read at beach in the evening. Slept well last night, some anxiety and irritability for first 2-3 hours of morning, but felt perfectly normal for most of the day. Beginning to feel physically stronger too now (walking and free exercise). Starting to feel like I turned a corner of some sort.

I know I could get hit with a wave, but things really do feel different from everything before.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Another good day.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Another good day.

Glad to hear it!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Peaceful, good night's sleep last night. Felt perfectly normal all day. Worked until early afternoon, in early evening, went to community pool and swam and read (not simultaneously). I find I'm execising more. Only a few months ago this would've made me feel worse, but now it only seems to make me sleep better and feel gradually stronger overall. So maybe I've lost some of my WD sensitivity.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Learned at group today that high levels of Cortisol over long periods of time damages the Hypothalamus (though not permanently).  

This makes the depression and anxiety more and more likely to reoccur. Most WD symptoms are some form of Anxiety (perhaps even including depression, which seems so closely related anyway) and thus are caused by unregulated Cortisol production. (The Cortisol damages the Hypothalamus and the Hypothalamus-not being able to do its job as well, creats a cascade effect in the brain which in turn ends up producing more Cortisol, and on and on.) This may be why it seems to take so long to recover.

The Hypothalamus however can eventually be brought back to its normal state of functioning if the unregulated Cortisol is gotten under control.  

So the goal must be to reduce excessive Cortisol through things like meditation, mindfullness, healthy living etc..

Today for example I had moderate anxiety most of the day and I think I did a good job of keeping it to a minimum. It left for about 3 hours in the middle of the day, but then came back in the later evening. I still feel it now but I'm doing my best not to add to it in anyway, to accept it, and-even more importantly, to reduce it with, for example, mindfulness breathing meditation and concentrating on how I feel inside (more mindfulness). I want to shut off the Cortisol as much as possible, and this, as well as other things, does seem to do that.

I think what I'm saying is that WD's aren't just what we have to go through while waiting for things to heal, but may actually be responsible for preventing them from healing, and therefore prolonging recovery. 

And if excessive Cortisol production is at the bottom of all this, then we know what we have to be focusing on. Of course, the means by which we do this can be so many things from letting go off

early traumas to drinking more orange juice.  

Is most of what we're all doing here just a big battle with Cortisol, or is this oversimplifying?

(Concentrating on writing this has distracted me from my anxiety enough to help it all but disappear.)

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Yesterday and today not too bad, but flu-like feeling most of the day with the exception of three hours in the middle of the day. Didn't stop me from getting things done, though. Also trouble falling to sleep for last two nights, but no anxiety during the night. Kind of a mixed bag, I guess. 

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Saturday was another day with the flu, but manageable. Last night I slept very peacfully, and today was all but symptom free-the only problem being a few hours of irritability in the morning. Very happy to have a good day after 4-5 days with patches of anxiety and flu. Almost 3 weeks since last drop and hopefully things are looking up. Went to a family barbecue this afternoon and really enjoyed the whole thing. All in all, happy with the way things are going the last few months.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Is most of what we're all doing here just a big battle with Cortisol, or is this oversimplifying?

(Concentrating on writing this has distracted me from my anxiety enough to help it all but disappear.)

There's a lot more to the story I think, but I'm impressed that the group you attend is aware of this as one aspect of things that go out of whack from antidepressants.  This is just my opinion, but I think antidepressants upset many body functions and the adrenal glands are just one of them.  Once I got my bedroom good and dark and started wearing a sleep mask, my cortisol problem subsided within six weeks--maybe less--but I still had other withdrawal symptoms.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hudgens, Do you have any other suggestions around cortisol? Why does OJ help?

Last night was my first to succeed in my quest to keep my eyes covered. In the past, I pulled off the sleep mask in my sleep. A bandana was too tight and thick. I am embarrassed to say I finally succeeded with a sleep mask under my CPAP mask. I am horrified to think of how it looks, but I did wake up calmer.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Jemima, yeah, I think you're right about Cortisol being only a part of the things causing WD. I'm sure, though, its control (reduction as much as possible) helps a lot in letting important parts of the CNS heal, which in turn allviates much of the WD symptoms.

Meimeiquest, Vitamin C reduces Cortisol. Most meditation does too-especially mindfulness meditation.

It's the long periods of continuous high Cortisol production which does the real damage. Anyone noticing a reduction in WD symptoms over time, must be healing. On the other hand, for those who seem to be stuck a long time-it may be the high Cortisol which is doing (non-permanent) damage and so keeping the whole wave going.

Yesterday went well-no real symptoms of any kind. A good night's sleep last night, and today is good so far, too.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Dear Hudgens, you started your story asking if there were any success stories ... seems like your's is one!!! Thank you for sharing. So very well done. I hope that you do do do enjoy!

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference

Thanks, katiemt, I've got another 2-3 drops to make, but I do feel very good lately. Of course I want as soft a post-tappering landing as possible, so I'm taking my time.

Today was a good day, no WD symptoms and got a lot done-slept good the night before.  

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

I slept really well last night, I think it was about6-7 hours and only woke up once. Since I've spent the last ten months or so-after the WD symptoms became a real problem-sleeping an average 3-4 hours a night, this is a relief.

The day wasn't bad-some anxiety, but manageable. Ate healthy, worked in the morning, went to group. Haven't exercised, though, for the last 3 days-not good. Am meditating now 20 minutes AM/PM. Seems to be helping in short term, but probably will have a stronger effect long term. No anxiety now at bedtime. Time to read myself to sleep.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Slept an unheard of 8 hours last night. Felt good all day.

It's been 24 days since my last drop, if things go this well for another week, I may try another.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

No anxiety now at bedtime. Time to read myself to sleep.

Hee hee, glad to see this, not least cos it's my normal too!

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Yeah, I usually read myself to sleep. Still sleeping well. A very busy day today, no WD symptoms.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Felt perfectly normal all day.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Yesterday I was fine until about 530 pm when I had about 4 hours of low mood and moderate anxiety. I felt better by bedtime and slept pretty well, but had night sweats all night.

This morning I feel good again. So, as I remarked earlier, I don't seem to get waves as much as episodes at this point. I take that as a good sign, especially since I'd be fine with living like this if I had to. Even with 2-3 bad days a month.

I don't think I'll eventually have to, but it's a good sign that I could. I think it also means that the bad episodes are not only fewer and farther between, but also much less severe. In fact, severe is too strong a word. For example, I'm

not even disappointed by them anymore.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

So good to hear how well you're doing! Thank you for sharing it with us.  You deserve it. And I'm sure it's as encouraging to other people as it is to me.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

You're welcome. It really seems to be true-this stuff resolves slowly and over time. It's happening just as I was told it would when I first came to this site. There's a real possibility I'll be celebrating the new year with a post-tappering, soft landing. That's all I want for Christmas.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Absolutely brilliant, Hudgens! Seems like all you need for Christmas is your patience!! So are you on 0.22 mg like what your sig says?

Yes, I'm currently at .22 mgs.. I think .05 mgs will be my final amount. The new year would make a taper of 3 years and one month.

Today was much better than yesterday. My mood was normal and no real WD symptoms. Now 28 days out from my last cut. I think I'd like another 7 days without any symptoms before I make another.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Felt flu-like symptoms for most of the day, mild though.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

I really appreciate your journal, Hudgens B)

You're welcome, Katie.

Had two episodes of anxiety yesterday, but they never developed into attacks. From late morning until

early evening, however, I felt great. The anxiety didn't keep me from traveling to a nearby town to meet an old highschool buddy and his wife who were passing through on an RV vacation. And despite the anxiety, I had a good time-in other words, the anxiety wasn't so bad that I had to go through the motions to get through the evening. I even forgot about it several times.

Slept a full night's sleep last night. Feeling some flu this morning, but pretty mild. My mood is up where it should be lately-perhaps that's another reason why the anxiety doesn't bother me so much.

The pattern for the last 3-4 days has been that I feel completely normal during the middle of the day, so the flu will most likely be leaving for a while shortly. I'm taking a walk to the lake to help reduce the Cortisol from the flu. I believe that anything I can do to reduce Cortisol when it's happening helps reduce any damage it can do, which in turn reduces its reoccurence, or at least its severity in the future. The best way to reduce Cortisol is through any mindfullness tecnique. Being around other people-especially in a social setting-makes be feel stronger somehow. Keeps my mood up. Isolating myself slowly does the opposite-I begin to feel weaker and less sure of myself, and I worry more. Even when I don't feel like it, the healthy choice for me is almost always to get out into the world.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs