HotelYorba: mirtazapine withdrawal from PRN use

HotelYorba

Hi - I'm still in the state of shock that I have to join a psychotropic w/d forum for help, because I knew about the dangers of these drugs. Thank you so much for this community. 

I experienced an intense bout of stress with work earlier this year. I wasn't sleeping. So my doctor gave me 7.5 mirtazapine to take on an as needed basis for sleep. I took it 2-3 times a week from March until mid July. Looking back now, I realize that I may have been experiencing w/d symptoms in between doses. But I was convinced by the "its just an antihistamine at that dose" BS that I now know is not true. 

I'm no stranger to psych med withdrawal. When I was a teenager, I was put on Ambien and had to come off that, and later benzos, for which I did a slow taper. That was in 2010. Fast forward to 2022 at the age of 30 and I'm being run over by psych drugs again.

The symptoms I'm currently dealing with: No sleep (3-4 hours a night max), intense surges of anxiety - like the fight or flight system is in disarray, head pressure, emotional feelings that rotate between windows and feelings of despair, burning feel on my arms..like my nervous system is on fire. 

The truly worst is the insomnia. If I was sleeping 6+ hours a night I might be able to deal with the rest.

I know this is an unpredictable path. Words of encouragement would be great. Especially if anybody has mirtazapine stories. 

Started using 7.5 Mirtazapine PRN for sleep in March 2022

I took it 2-3 times per week until mid July - about 60-70 pills in total 

Did not understand that I may have been feeling w/d symptoms in between doses 

Last dose July 24 

Currently experiencing intense withdrawal symptoms 

• ChessieCat changed the title to HotelYorba: mirtazapine withdrawal from PRN use

HotelYorba: CT off 7.5 mirtazapine

Hi all - Posting my story here. I was taking 7.5 3 times per week on an "as needed" basis for sleep for about 5 months. I stopped two weeks ago and I've been in a total hell hole. 

Symptoms are: burning limbs, 1-2 hours of sleep, adrenaline/rushes of anxiety, inability to handle stress, depression, head pressure, etc. 

I'd love any encouraging words or just to hear from others that have dealt with mirtazapine. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Started using 7.5 Mirtazapine PRN for sleep in March 2022

I took it 2-3 times per week until mid July - about 60-70 pills in total 

Did not understand that I may have been feeling w/d symptoms in between doses 

Last dose July 24 

Currently experiencing intense withdrawal symptoms 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm really sorry that you are dealing with severe insomnia and other symptoms from mirtazapine.  I just want to encourage you, that this is temporary, and gradually it should improve, and eventually go away.  But I know in the meantime, it is extremely difficult.  I went though hell with Lexapro myself, and am still dealing with it to a certain degree, although it has gotten much better.  As you've discovered, taking the mirtazapine irregularly is hard on the nervous system, and causes symptoms.  Rebound insomnia is a very common symptom for mirtazapine withdrawal.  

Are you or have you been on any other drugs in the past several years?  If so, can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only specific dates, include the day (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day), drug names, and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this example:

Feb 15 2020 - June 30 2020 - 25mg citalopram, 2mg xanax

July 1 2020 - Sept 7 2020 - 50 mg citalopram, 4 mg xanax

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and taking them irregularly.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I will also find some threads of other people who have dealt with mirtazapine, and link them here: 

Tania: Mirtazapine Tapering

Cathnz: Tapering Off Remeron Mirtazapine

Sunny Rainy Days: Mirtazapine 2 Months

Here are some success stories of people who recovered from mirtazapine: 

Ox123: My Mirtazapine Story

Ten0275: I'm Dave, and If I'm Capable of Healing...

Undiagnosed1: Fully Functional

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here are some links to help with insomnia.  Have you tried melatonin?  

Melatonin for Insomnia

This topic has many other ideas to help with insomnia.  

Withdrawal Insomnia

I understand how tough it is when you can't sleep.  Insomnia has been one of my worst challenges in WD.  It will get better, but it will take time, and there will be ups and downs.  Here are the things I did to help myself with sleep:  

My Insomnia Tips

Insomnia has been the worst part of WD for me.  Here is what I do to help.  

1) don't get overly anxious about it.  Realize that eventually, your sleep will improve.  Insomnia won't kill you, although it can make you pretty dang miserable.  Anxiety about sleep just makes the problem worse.  I know, easier said than done. I don't always do this, but I try.  Practice acceptance.

2)listen to very soft relaxing music at a very low volume.  

3)don't worry about what time it is.  Don't look at the clock.  

4) I try to stay active during the first half of the day.  I take a walk (mine is one hour) after breakfast every day.  Then, as the day goes on, gradually slow down.  Several hours before bed, I only do very relaxing things, like read, or just sit and relax.  This helps to set our circadian rhythm.  Try to get outside and get some light exposure during the day, too. 

5) Avoid toxic, negative people.  Avoid stress when possible, although I know a lot of stressors are unavoidable.   For me, this can really help me to relax better.  

6) I stay away from MSG and aspartame.  These are exitotoxins which overstimulate the nervous system.  They are in a lot of our modern processed foods.  I try to eat more whole and natural, and not as many processed foods.  Also avoid processed meats with sodium nitrate, etc , such as hotdogs, ham, bacon, and sausage.  These can keep you up at night too.

7) avoid eating large amounts of sugar and processed carbohydrates.  This causes your blood glucose to spike up, which causes your pancreas to create insulin to control your blood sugar, which then causes your blood sugar to drop too low, and then your to create adrenaline to try to regulate your blood sugar.  Adrenaline keeps you awake because it is an activating hormone.

9) too much sodium (salt) can cause your blood pressure and heart rate to rise, and make it hard to sleep.

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly