Hi all,

I have a 16 year history on SSRI/SNRI (see signature) as well as a few years on Mirtazapine and one year on Bupropion. The two latter I quit fairly easy without any tapering worth mentioning. I'm also a medical doctor.

I've read this forum now and it's been very helpful. The main reason I'm now registering is I'd like to contribute to the Escitalopram tapering thread, where there seems to be a quite well established misconception about the water solubility of the drug (I don't seem to be able to repy there yet though). 

Escitalopram is, as the post states, "sparingly soluble" in water (and "soluble" in saline water). Sparingly soluble by definition means that it takes 30-100 ml of water to fully dissolve 1 g of a chemical (such as a drug). (I'll still to 100 ml instead of 30 - 100 ml for simplicity, and 100 ml is at the less solvable end of the spectrum)

1 g is 1000 mg. So, with 100 ml of water you can dissolve ONE HUNDRED 10 mg pills of Escitalopram (as the salt Escitalopram oxalate). To dissolve one 10 mg pill, you need only 1 ml of water.

I suspect most people will use much more water than this, as 1. there is no reason to work with such a small amount of water and 2. people seem to think you need lots of water. So, let's say that you use 10 ml or more instead of the necessary 1 ml. Now, there is NO reason whatsoever to increase solubility by adding sodium chloride (i e, making a saline solution), worrying about decreased solubility in refrigerator temperatures, etc.

Note, there is stuff in the pills that does not dissolve, but the active drug does, easily.

On the term "sparingly soluble": from a required 30-100 ml of water to dissolve 1 g of Escitalopram follows that in 100 ml water the amount of solvable Escitalopram is 1 - 3.3333333... g. Compare this to table salt (sodium chloride) which I believe you can dissolve 36 g of in 100 ml of water. Hence, it is easy to understand why "sparingly" is appropriate.

2006 escitalopram 10 mg
2007 venlafaxine 225/300 mg
2021 Venlafaxine tapered to 150 mg,

2022 May: switch to Flouxetine 40 mg. 

2022 June: taper to 20 mg, then switch to Escitalopram 10 mg

2022 Nov 1st Escitalopram 10 -> 7,5 mg. Nov 14th: 7,5 mg -> 5 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to ezzytalloprawn
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Thank you for the information on solubility of escitalopram.  I've reported this to our staff, and we will get back to you on that.  In the meantime, I'd like to discuss your current escitalopram tapering.  Have you been having any symptoms since you reduced to 7.5, and then to 5.0 in November?  If so, what are they?

Did you have symptoms went you made the past switches to fluoxetine and then to escitalopram?  What were they? 

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we generally taper by 10% of the current dose no more than once every 4 weeks, so that the reduction becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering Escitalopram

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

If it were me, I would hold for a while on your current dose of 5 mg escitalopram, which is a very powerful drug, and much stronger than other SSRI drugs milligram per milligram.  I would suggest holding for at least 6 months, maybe even 9 or 12 months.  We on this site practice a harm reduction approach, and once the nervous system is destabilized, it can take a long time to stabilize.  Please let us know how you are doing.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/23/2022 at 2:40 AM, ezzytalloprawn said:

a few years on Mirtazapine and one year on Bupropion. The two latter I quit fairly easy without any tapering worth mentioning.

How recent was this?  What year(s)? 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:40 PM, ezzytalloprawn said:

I suspect most people will use much more water than this, as 1. there is no reason to work with such a small amount of water and 2. people seem to think you need lots of water. So, let's say that you use 10 ml or more instead of the necessary 1 ml. Now, there is NO reason whatsoever to increase solubility by adding sodium chloride (i e, making a saline solution), worrying about decreased solubility in refrigerator temperatures, etc.

I am dissolving 5 mg Lexapro into 50 ml of water without any salt and storing it in the refrigerator for about a week.  The tablet weight is 135 mg.  It seems to evenly dissolve in water with no visible insoluble parts.  I shake the solution well before taking liquid out with a syringe.  Is this OK?  Does the effectiveness of Lexapro change when dissolved in water? 

2000 - 2005: Zoloft, fluoxetine, and then Paxil; used Xanax 0.25 mg for the first few weeks only in 2000 to stabilize Zoloft in my system

2006 to 2015: Lexapro 20 mg

2015 to 2017: Tapered Lexapro to 2.5 mg with the help of St. John’s Wort, Niacin, and Vitamin D; could not go below 2.5 mg; occasionally used Xanax 0.25 mg PRN

Jan-2022 to Apr-2022: Tapered from 2.5 mg to 0 with the help of homeopathic remedies Acid Phos, Aurum Met, Kali Phos, and Avena Sativa; felt very good and relaxed

Jul-2022: Faced an unpleasant event which brought my anxiety and depression back with full force

Jul-2022 to 28-Oct-2022: Trying to reinstate Lexapro between 0.5 mg and 2.5 mg but I have not been able to achieve stability yet; used Xanax 0.25 mg for around the first two weeks and then occasionally PRN

Unfortunately I do not remember the dates and dosages that I tried between Jul-2022 and 28-Oct-2022; higher dose like 2.5 mg caused extremely intense adverse reaction so I went down from there

29-Oct-2022 to 8-Nov-2022: 0.5 mg Lexapro once a day

8-Nov-2022 to 9-Nov-2022: On doctors' advise, due to ADR from Lexapro, replaced it with Zoloft 25 mg twice a day; abandoned the replacement due to the possibility of complications as indicated on this forum

10-Nov-2022 to 27-Nov-2022: 0.4 mg Lexapro once a day; Xanax 0.25 mg occasionally PRN

28-Nov-2022 to 25-Dec-2022: 0.4 mg Lexapro once a day, 0.15 mg Xanax thrice a day

26-Dec-2022 to present: 0.35 mg Lexapro once a day, 0.15 mg Xanax thrice a day

• Administrator

Thanks for the information, @ezzytalloprawn

Please do add your clarifying comments to Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:27 PM, Altostrata said:

Thanks for the information, @ezzytalloprawn

Please do add your clarifying comments to Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

My pleasure!

However, I don't seem to be entrusted to post there. Feel free to add it, modify the wording, etc, if you want to!

Edit: I can see this post (not approved yet) but I can't at all see my very long reply to the previous questions, which took an hour to write. Did this reply erase the my other reply or is it just not visible to me until approved? :)

2006 escitalopram 10 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ezzytalloprawn, @ezzytalloprawn

Check up above.  Your post of November 23rd is up there.

Are there any others still missing?  I can go find them, if so.  Possibly not immediately but as soon as possible.

And okay, you should be able to post in the escitalopram topic now too, in a reply.  You might not immediately see it, but if you'd like to copy and then paste part of your November 23rd post in a reply there, that would be good.  It would certainly save us, staff time.

Thanks, welcome aboard.  Looks like you've got some distance still to go with your escitalopram taper.

I hope you will go with a harm reduction taper from here on out. 10% or less of each previous dose.  I do see the topics have that have been given above, and so, I won't repeat. 

I will only encourage you to slow down your taper now.  Especially at the lower doses, we often see the plasma binding has more drastic changes dose to dose.

Why taper? SERT transporter studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

and this one includes escitalopram:

Regional differences in SERT occupancy after acute and prolonged SSRI intake investigated by brain PET

Okay, and welcome aboard,

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
added notification, spelling too-grammar

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 12/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi ezzytalloprawn, @ezzytalloprawn

Check up above.  Your post of November 23rd is up there.

Are there any others still missing?  I can go find them, if so.  Possibly not immediately but as soon as possible.

And okay, you should be able to post in the escitalopram topic now too, in a reply.  You might not immediately see it, but if you'd like to copy and then paste part of your November 23rd post in a reply there, that would be good.  It would certainly save us, staff time.

Thanks, welcome aboard.  Looks like you've got some distance still to go with your escitalopram taper.

I hope you will go with a harm reduction taper from here on out. 10% or less of each previous dose.  I do see the topics have that have been given above, and so, I won't repeat. 

I will only encourage you to slow down your taper now.  Especially at the lower doses, we often see the plasma binding has more drastic changes dose to dose.

Why taper? SERT transporter studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

and this one includes escitalopram:

Regional differences in SERT occupancy after acute and prolonged SSRI intake investigated by brain PET

Okay, and welcome aboard,

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Thank you! 

Yes, there's one missing. I'm referring to a long reply I wrote yesterday, where I wrote an essay more or less, answering getofflex questions on withdrawal so far, my switches between venlafaxine, fluoxetine and escitalopram, my tapering from bupropion and mirtazapin, as well as a few other things lol. Hopefully there's something you can find, if not I'll try to find time to write it again. It was probably too long anyway. 

Yes, indeed I have some way to go. Thank you all for your recommendations, links, support.

2006 escitalopram 10 mg