keogh08: adverse reaction to citalopram - akathisia?

keogh08

Hi

I started with anxiety and panic attacks almost a month ago, I had been under stress at work and had lost my appetite and considerable amount of weight, and was not sleeping. My GP prescribed Citalopram 20mg, and within a few hours of taking this I was almost crazy, pacing up and down the house, feeling I needed to get out of my own body and on day 3 started with horrible dark thoughts and images of me killing myself. Mainly the images were around knives. I must stress that prior to taking this medication I  had never had a dark or suicidal thought.On day 7 of taking this drug I stopped due to the awful side affects which I now believe was Akathisia. I seen a private pysicatrist who put this down to a bad reaction with the citalopram and recommended sertraline, I waited almost two weeks before taking the sertraline as the dark thoughts still persisted, the majority of the other symptoms seems to subside. Earlier this week I started on the sertraline 25mg, once again the same symptoms have returned as in the beginning when taking the citalopram, this is only on day 2 of the sertraline. I have only recently learned about this condition but I am now going to discontinue with the sertraline given that Akathisia can last longer than the time the medication was taken. Has anyone experienced this due to the combination of these SSRI's? My GP is absolutely no help at the minute hence me having to seek help privately. 

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

• Administrator

Welcome, @keogh08

I moved your post here, to start your own Introductions topic, where you can post questions about your situation and track your progress.

You may have had a severe adverse reaction to citalopram. As sertraline is another SSRI, it is possible that you and SSRIs do not get along.

Did you take citalopram and sertraline in combination? What drugs are you taking now, at what times of day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• manymoretodays changed the title to keogh08: Adverse reaction to citalopram -- akathisia?
  • 1 month later...

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, I have been trying to get over the side affects brought on by the short term use of both SSRI's but now I have a feeling they have affected my brain badly. 

In response to your previous question, no I did not take the citalopram and the sertraline together. I took citalopram from 7 days when I have extreme side affects and then left it a period of two weeks before starting the sertraline.

I am now left with awful ruminating and some dark thoughts, along with brain fog and cannot concentrate on even the basic of tasks. 

Have you ever known short term use of these drugs to affect someone so badly after stopping abruptly? 

I have read many withdrawal stories on this site and I feel I have been affected by long term use, I see no end of this and really do not want to start any anti-depressants ever again.

Do you think I am best to ride this out a bit longer?

I have been exercising most days, taking omega 3 and magnesium as suggested but my brain fog and ruminating is severe.

I am really angry with myself as prior to starting the AD's I only had mild anxiety and a pain in my chest none of the symptoms I have listed above which really worried me.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

@keogh08 Hi there and welcome to SA. I am so sorry about the adverse reaction to only a few doses, if I understand your post correctly. I ! Too, had an adverse reaction to a SSRI. The recovery time can take longer than expected. This site is very useful and offers a lot of support. I hope your recovery time is quick. 

-ghm2018

2002 - 2014, 500mg Keppra 2x’s/day (anti-seizure med)

2003 thru 2004 - 10 mg Remeron

2005ish - Adverse reactions to single doses of Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro (no long-lasting problems)

2012 - Buspar (overly energized, stopped immediately, no long-lasting problems)

2014 - 1 month taper off of 500mg Keppra (Leviteracitam) - seizure free for 12 years 

2017 - 500mg Leviteracitam (generic keppra) 

2017 - Mid-Dec experienced adverse reaction to Leviteracitam due to different manufacturer. Stopped on Dec 20.

2018 - Jan 1st, 10 mg Fluoxetine (generic prozac) experienced severe adverse reaction after 3 doses and continue to experience issues today. 

2003 - 2018 Ativan, occasionally/rarely

Thank you for your reply. I am now 4 months in recovery, I have good days and bad days. My main symptoms I have remaining  are anxiety, Corsitol spikes and quite strange mental anxiety, to put Frankly I am in my own head far too much of the time. Lots of overthinking etc. The pain in my chest has finally passed, along with nightmares so recovery is happening but at a very slow pace. It is absolutely crazy to think mediciation can give you so many symptoms. I am really looking forward to the day I can enjoy a some drinks with friends. I was really sociable before all of this happened, but after trying a few drinks back in November it totally intensified my symptoms. The best thing I have found so far is magneisum I take 375mg x2 a day and this really relaxes me, along with yoga and clean eating. 

Hi Keogh,  It certainly sounds like you have had a nasty adverse reaction to the SSRIs.  It can be brutal when it happens.  What you describe sounds very similar to my experience and others who have been on here.  The good news is that you might not see as much of us on the site as our recovery tends to be a bit shorter after the initial crisis period and we are, thankfully, able to put the experience behind us.  

Most of the advice you see for managing withdrawal symptoms will apply equally to self care after an adverse reaction.  It is good that you are being proactive with yoga and clean eating.  Mindfulness really is the key to managing both the adverse reaction symptoms and the underlying anxiety that made you seek help in the first place.  Try not to be angry with yourself - you weren't to know.  None of us were.  

I notice that you are taking fish oils.  I found them far too activating initially.  A lot of people do well with them but I didn't.  

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

• 4 months later...

It has been a while since I have posted under my own area, so I thought I would provide an update. Mainly for any other adverse reaction people as I know how disheartening it can be to find lack of success stories and timelines etc. 

So it has been almost 9 months since I suffered a severe adverse reaction to Citalopram 20mg for almost 6 days. I had never suffered with any mental illnesses but I had a reaction to an asthma inhaler which set of a bout of panic attacks most likely due to increased adrenalin, and a very poor diet where I would mostly live of coffee and sugary drinks. 

The initial 3/4 months were by far the worst, I still had the all of the symptoms I had started with on day two of the medication along with depression.

I was not sleeping, eating very much or enjoying life. I was tormented with horrible thoughts, auditory and visual disturbances and horrific nightmares that would take most of the morning for me to come around. I used to wake with bursts of cortisol and panic and my arms and legs would feel extremely weak. Once this would settle around dinner time I would be left to fatigued to do anything.

I returned to work in the January 2020 after 12 weeks of sickness and although I was still struggling  I needed some normality, and not to be focusing on my symptoms and delayed recovery. The first month in work was terrible, I remember walking into the large open plan office and all of the noise of phones ringing and conversations vibrated through me. I also had depersonalization pretty bad so felt as though I was in a dream and not in the workplace. This made interactions very difficult but I pushed on and in time my cognitive skills improved. 

In March me and my partner flew to Jamaica for a break, it was supposed to be a trip of a lifetime planned before my reaction. Although it was good it was not what I had imagined. The first few days I suffered terribly with fatigue from the time difference and I didn't feel as happy as I should to be in such a beautiful country.

In April is where I seen the most improvement, my panic and anxiety left me physically, although I was still ruminating frequently and days consisted of many intrusive thoughts, but I was now able to sleep for 12 hours uninterrupted. I was exercising daily although I decided to stop as the fatigue would hit me worse for a few days later. I now opt for short walks or bike rides. 

In May improvements continued. My remaining symptoms are now free floating depression, lack of motivation. It takes me quite a while to wake up but I no longer have the cortisol or the morning panic. My thinking is still pretty messed up I often find myself imagining the most surreal of situations which would never happen. Sometimes I have quiet vivid dreams but nothing like the initial phase.

Last week I had a bout of Migraines so I decided to introduce Omega 3, these have now thankfully subsided. I am now left with a handful of symptoms which is still pretty frustrating but if I look back at the last 8 months I know I have come a very long way.

I just need my brain to settle down and for normal thinking to resume along with my love for life.

I will keep you updated on my progress as I am determined to turn this into a success story so all people who suffer after taking the meds for a short period of time can come here for hope and understand it does get better. And not necessarily 7 years later as I have read frequently on here. 

Hi Keogh,

i am so happy to hear that you have recovered. may you continue to feel better and better and completely recover.

you went through the worse and now it is behind you.

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

april to june 2016- valium 4mg, xanax as needed, lunesta 3mg

june 2016 - valium 4mg, lexapro 10mg

oct 2016- valium 2mg, lexapro 10mg- hold

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

LAST dose of Lexapro: 0.05mg on 05/17/19

LAST dose of valium: 0.04mg on 08/18/19

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just thought I would post another update.

It has been 10 1/2 months since my reaction  to citalopram. I have seen some more minor improvements since June.

Symptoms that still remain are infrequent leg twitches in the left leg, mild tinnitus occasionaly. Lack of motivation some days and it also takes me a few hours to wake up each morning, although sleep is great now I can sleep 12 hours if allowed!

Strange thoughts and some over dramatic thoughts which are by far still the worst symptoms. Slight anhedonia. I also have songs repeating in my head constantly which can be really annoying. Considering they are mostly nursery rhymes as I have a toddler. 

Some days I have no symptoms what so ever, this usually happens when I am keeping busy.

Once the strange thoughts pass and the leg twitches go along with tinnitus I will consider myself recovered. 

I will then work on excercise which has been a struggle, I am fine walking and doing chores etc. But any time I do cardio I end up with a week of intense headaches!

I wondered does anyone know of a rough timeline for the normal thought process returning?

I would have expected a better improvement in this area considering my anxiety, depression and sleep has been improved massivley.

• ChessieCat changed the title to keogh08: adverse reaction to citalopram - akathisia?
  • 1 month later...

Hi

Does anyone have any advise regarding headaches?

It has been almost 12 months since my adverse reaction and healing is speeding right up now.

Leg twitches have subsided as has many other symptoms, one thing that persists now is headaches daily that usually start when I first wake up and can last until afternoon. 

I have tried pain killers that dont touch it now asprin isnt doing much either. 

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Hi

So it has been 18 months since my immediate adverse reaction to Citalopram 20mg. 

I hoped and prayed by now I would be writing my success story, but not just yet it seems!

What has changed;

The remaining symptoms I have are, intrusive thoughts and a chatter mind/rumination. This is my most problematic symptom. I am not sure I will ever get rid of this, so may need to attempt some sort of therapy soon if it persists. 

The horrible thoughts the scary ones I had on day 2 of my reaction have gone for the most part!

Lack of motivation can be bothersome most days and some days doesnt bother me. 

Weight gain is an odd one, I have healthy eating habits better than ever. But I am still 2 stone heavier then when I started this journey. This really upsets me as it is only now that I can be more active without repercussions. But given my cals in vs cals out I shouldn't be this heavy!

Tinnitus almost gone I only experience this 5 mins before sleep. 

Muscle twitches - I get one at night when getting to sleep so much improved. 

Brain fog/dream like state still around I get periods in the day when I feel fully in the moment. Majority of the time I can feel like a zombie still. 

All in all I am fully functioning and sleeping good and have been for a long time.

I am not sure what people will think in terms of my recovery timeline or where I sit etc. Some times I think I'm a few months off then I think years. Who knows. 

Any recommendations on the weight issues and the chatter mind would be really appreciated? Please note I am slowly building up my excercise intolerence and I cannot handle low carb.

Thanks

Hi

I did a short none intensive workout 3 days ago and I am now bed bound with kidney pain/back ache and nasuea all from exercising 3 days ago.. 

How depressing this situation actually is! 

How can less than a weeks worth of drugs makes you feel so horrific 18 months after. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Can anyone share any advice on the differences between hypersomnia and fatigue?

I've been in a place the last few months where I am constantly exhausted. And wanting/needing to sleep all day.

I'm not exerting myself or exercising so there is no cause I can think of to explain why I am so exhausted all the time!

I sleep great and sometimes can sleep beyond 12 hours but I'm still exhausted. 

This usually clears up in the late afternoon/evening which is why I cant work out whether this is fatigue or hypersomnia but quite debilitating at the minute!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi

I really need some advice please?

About 11 days ago I began with flu like symptoms. Severe muscle aches, fever, nasal congestion and chest cough. 

I was bed bound for almost a week. Covid test was negative and no one else in my household is sick.

I now have severe sweats and nausea have been completely off food I have been having strange dreams and full of fatigue.

I wondered is this likely withdrawal rather than the flu?

There is no letting up from the symptoms which seems its unlikely to be the flu.

I am 21 months out from a severe adverse reaction. These symptoms do not follow my usual symptom pattern.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I just wanted to understand if anyone knows of anyone getting worse 21 months out of a serious adverse reaction to a few doses?

If you had asked me 3 -4 months ago I would have said I was well on my way to recovery. Then out of the blue the fatigue set in, chronic fatigue and depression. Now I have a whole host of symptoms I never had to begin with.

Let me be clear when I say I have not done anything differently these last few months nor have I introduced any supplements or any other medication.

Could it be that things are getting worse before they get better. I'm at a loss and I am desperate.

Thank you

Edited by Gridley

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, keogh08.

To start:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Recovery from these drugs is a very unpredictable process.  There is just no way to determine the cause of your current symptoms. However, our experience here has been that we all do heal. The following link is about withdrawal rather than adverse reaction but is equally applicable to both.

Hold steady and hang in there.  Things will get better.  We recommend non-drug techniques to deal with adverse reaction/withdrawal symptoms.  Take a look at the links in the following link and see which techniques you think might be helpful to you in dealing with your symptoms.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to keogh08: Getting worse at 21 months out adverse reaction

Thanks @Gridley.

I took Citaolpram for 5 days in September 2019. I took them originally for panic attacks and all hell broke loose.

I have never had windows as such pretty much remained the same throughout the last 21 months. Feeling flat, lack of motivation, excercise intollerence the usual stuff and intrusive thoughts which come and go.

From what I have read from this site the turning point for people like me appears to be months 18 - 24 which is why I am extremely worried to be the way I am right now at 21 months out.

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, keogh08 said:

From what I have read from this site the turning point for people like me appears to be months 18 - 24

As with withdrawal, there really is no specific turning point for healing from an adverse reaction.  It varies from person to person.  For some it can be shorter than 18-24 months, for some longer.  The best advice I can give is take care of yourself, avoid stress as much as possible, eat healthily and get some daily gentle exercise, like a walk in nature.  Also take a look a the on-drug techniques link I provided in my previous post.

In terms of attitude, I'd recommend that you assume that you're going to heal.  Worry and despondency cause stress, which can increase symptoms.  A positive attitude can work wonders.  Energy follows thought.  Your body, down to the cell level, picks up on your thoughts and mirrors them.  Given your body good thoughts to pick up on.  It's a form of nutrition.  Believe me, I know this is not the easiest thing to do when in the grip of the effects of these drugs, and I give this advice not as a pollyanna-is person (I'm not) but as a person who has realized that what we think is important and can make a big difference in how we feel.  You may not be able to think good thoughts all the time (I'm not) but some of the time can help, and it can become a habit, a new norm of thinking.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @keogh08

I've merged the new topic created you created with your initial introduction thread : there is only one introduction thread per member, this way it keeps all your history at one place and makes it easier for others to understand your situation ☺

Take care ☀️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 2 months later...

So it has been 2 years since my instant adverse reaction to only a couple of doses to citalopram. 

Am I healed - no, I am a long way off. 

I honestly thought by this point I would be healed or atleast there. This is something I struggle with daily. Especially given the sucess stories of people who have taken these meds for decades and are healed by 2 years. 

Every day I am in some sort of hell. With new symptoms arising and some abating. At this stage I dont believe there is anything more I could do to assist my recovery. A positive attitude is becoming hard to maintain. 

I am yet to have a day without any symptoms. I havent had a day without DR in two years. My old self prior to this seems lost and I cannot imagine who she was. 

The only time i feel emotions are during my dreams sometimes i wake up holding onto that feeling, the feeling of being human and connected to life. 

My next step is to plan to start excercise again. I've had a break from trying recently because the intolerence would leave me depressed and in bed for days following even light excercise. 

I am 2 stone heavier than when this happening shifting the weight via a calorie controlled diet is not happening, regardless of how hard I try. 

My little girl starts school this week. I feel like she has jumped from being a baby to small human right before my eyes. Like I have missed a huge step in her development.

But still I hold on for her. For the hope that one day I wont be in hell and I will be living and enjoying every minute of life.

I am sorry for what ur going through…. I also had a severe reaction to short term use of Zoloft and still suffering 10&1/2 months later. Have u seen any improvements during these 2 years? We have to stay strong for our kids…

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Hi @JesusSavemefromWD

I have seen minor improvements. I still have atleast one or two horrible thoughts a day. Along with all other symptoms the most distressing has to be the DR and excercise intolerance.

I would be grateful to have even a day of a window. But maybe I am one of those people who has gradual improvements and a more linear recovery..who knows. 

Adverse Reactions for me are the saddest of recovery stories I could be slightly bias but we dont have the option of a safe taper or a reinstatement to get us through the hardest times. 

Yea, I feel exactly the same and my worst symptom is my DP. It is debilitating for me…. Can’t function at all …. I hope more time brings u more improvements 

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 7/3/2021 at 2:07 AM, Gridley said:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As previously requested please create your drug signature.  It allows members to see your drug history at a glance and also gives your posts context.  You have posted here asking a question.  Because they don't know what drug/s your were taking or when and how you stopped your drug/s they are not able to give a relevant response without visiting your Introduction topic and having to read through your posts.  Members are probably not going to be bothered going out of their way to find out that information so you might not get responses to your post.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you.  Please add "adverse reaction" to it.  Even though symptoms of withdrawal and adverse reaction can be similar but recovery seems to be different.  See:

But I only took it for a Week

immediate-adverse-reactions-to-an-antidepressant-or-within-a-few-doses-how-long-for-recovery

In response to the questions you asked, have you been experiencing any additional stress recently or been sick, or had to take medication, eg antibiotics or histamines.  When things continue or worsen it is a good idea to do some detective work to try to work out if there might be something that we are doing or what has/is happening that might be contributing to the issue.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi @CheshireCat 

I do have periods where I am run down etc but these thoughts and symptoms are constant. Just slightly worse when I am sick etc.

Even at times when I feel well physically. I am not one of those people who has waves and windows. Pretty much every day is the same in symptoms which can be really disheartening given I am doing everything I can to get better.

Hi @keogh08

I am really sorry for what you have been through. Please keep updating your situation and do not give up. I would like to follow your recovery, as I am in a similar situation, however I am yet at the very beginning of my road. My background is slightly different, because I was on SSRI for 11 years and CT'd 5 months ago. I was on paroxetine 10 mg and my psychiatrist told me that this is such a small dose that I can just stop taking it.. I was in protracted withdrawal, but I was functioning pretty well, socializing with people, doing a language course, living my normal life, I was not even depressed, was only anxious, but it was managable. Due to some family issues I was a bit low (that was totally normal to be sad, but I was already used to the thinking that a magic pill can help me feeling better). So since my psychologist told me that I can try St.Johns wort, I gave it a try, took only three pills (each one of 900mg) for three days, and on the third day all the hell broke loose. It was one month ago and my life is since then a nightmare. All you describe are also my sympotms. I have some better days or rather hours, but even then it is nothing like being my normal self. 

It is difficult even to make a dinner or focus on anything that includes even a little bit o thinking, I feel like my mind is totally numbed. Did it improve for you over time? Also, is your akhatesia gone? Are you taking any drugs currently? 

Take care and I hope to hear back from you

First diagnosed with depression disorder (dysthymia)
On SSRI since 2009 (fluvoksamine, 6yrs, escitalopram 2 yrs, paroxetine last 2,5 years),
Decided to stop paroxetine (10mg) on the 28th of May 2021, cold turkey (doctor's advice...)
Acute WD phase for around 2 weeks (mostly physical), then protracted WD symptoms but mentally I was doing good
After two months advised by psychologist to take opipramol(2 x50mg) to help with anxiety and insomnia caused by WD, low doses, it helped pretty well

Paroxetine withdrawal caused super painful PGAD and I started to feel more and more tired, exhausted and irritable

Decided to stop taking opipramol  on 17.09 and on the next day started with St John's Wort (also advised by psychologist), after 3 days (each day 900 mg) the hell started stopped SWJ and went back to opipramol on the 23rd of September (2 X 50mg) but it did not help

currently on opipramol 75mg, weaning off

Since then severe anxiety, sleep issues, inner trembling, restlessness, SI, depersonalisation, crippling depression etc. 

• 1 month later...

It's been a few months since I have posted an update...so here goes.

I'm still a mess, every day is like being in hell. The intrusive thoughts still remain and I struggle to imagine a life where they no longer exist. 

I still struggle with mood swings between periods of intense anxiety and deep dark depression. 

I'm still fatigued mentally and physically and every day is a drag.

Most AR people have recovered by this stage, but I still seem to be stuck in purgatory.

It will be 3 years this year, which seems to be a milestone for most, so I am clinging on to hope. But the longer it gets the less I can remember as what life was like before those few pills. 

I will start running this year, taking it slow but I need to start moving regardless of intense symptoms.

I'm tiger 3 stone heavier since this began  and healthy eating just doesnt seem to cut it. 

I have attempted acupuncture but I didnt notice much change, but will also continue with this.

But this far out I am struggling as to what else I can do to help myself. I limit stress where possible and I listen to my body  yet i dont seem to get windows like others. My brain seems permanently damaged from this reaction. 

I am so sorry. I am so sorry for all of us. Sometimes I feel paralyzed by the sorrow I feel for all of us. 

Your posts and words have been so helpful to me during the months I have been in adverse reaction hell. 

I have hope for you, too, in the months ahead.

One thing that has been helpful for me is to keep a food and symptom journal. I didn’t want to do it, because it was one more thing to worry about on top of everything. But once I realized how much better I felt when I cut out some things that caused me to feel worse (dairy and cultured/fermented foods), I feel more hopeful. 

9/3/21-9/8/21--6 doses 2.5 mg escitalopram (adverse reaction)

9/9/21-9/16/21-5 doses .5 mg lorazepam

9/17/21-10/17/21-.25 mg clonazepam (used at bedtime 2-3x/week)

9/19/21-present-25 mg hydroxyzine (3x daily for anxiety)

MTHFR C667T homozygous mutation

COMT val/val homozygous mutation

Supplements: 300 mg magnesium glycinate, ProBiota HistaminX, SmartyPants women’s multi, .5 mg melatonin, starting trial of methylated B complex 

@keogh08 how are you doing lovely?I am 3.5 months into AR and in the thick of it.

I wanted to reach out as you have been so strong and done so well to get this far 💞 keep going 

Lexapro 10mg - 30th august 2021 - Adverse reaction

Amitriptyline - 10mg - 7th September - 30th sep 4 weeks

Amitriptyline 5mg -28th sep - 5th oct 

0mg ever since the 5th oct

12th oct - 1 amoxcillin and 2

metronidazole

Makes it 5 weeks 0mg so far

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I also had a AR back in may 2020. 

I was wondering if you dont have any improvements?😟 

I am in a terrible Wave 20 month out. There is no hope atm. 

I am so sorry for you, That you are also struggeling After That Long time out. 🙁 

How are you ? 

2011-2019 Prozac (6month Taper) 
May 2020 Amitryptiline Adverse reaction to three doses (2mg) !!

• 4 weeks later...

I wondered is it common for things to get slightly worse before they improve.

For example I am in an awful and unusual wave, for me anyway. I seem to be dissociating a lot and have weird feelings in arms. But at the same time my thoughts have lessened and I have more feelings. It's very hard to describe. 

I wanted to know have any sucess stories mentioned getting slightly worse before better?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

@keogh08

How are you doing now? I am going through some og the same things since two months now. Increasing akathisia, no emotions, more intense dp/dr, blank mind, head pressure and so on. One extra pill of mirtazapine to sleep was all it took.

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2