keogh08: adverse reaction to citalopram - akathisia?

keogh08

Hi

I am really in need of some advice. 

something very strange is happening, this is not like anything I have experienced in the last four years in terms of waves. I do not typically cycle through waves and windows either. 

3 week ago I started with the most horrific symptoms, this started with a headache then horrible intrusive thoughts which are much worse than have been, suicidal thoughts, complete brain blanking to a point I am struggling to finish sentences or think of words. 
A tremor in my diaphragm, and feeling as though I am completely out of it. 

This all started after I took a couple of doses of omeprazole. 

I am severely worried at these symptoms, that these could be the start of something serious. I have had thoughts that I am getting psychosis etc. Totally unusual. Could this just be a form of anxiety loosing control? 

I am planning on getting bloods done this week in case I am low in something. As this does not seem like a typical worsening of symptoms I am used to. 

I would like to know whether it’s common for people to have completely different symptom pattern so far out? And should I be concerned that this is the start of something a lot more sinister? 

Can PAWS send people into psychosis or schizophrenia where they previously have no mental health diagnosis aside for withdrawal? 

Looking for any kind of reassurance that this will pass…

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

I’m not sure if the following could be contributing to how I have been feeling. But recent blood test show I am borderline low in magnesium and folic acid. 

How could I be low in magnesium when I have supplemented daily for the past four years? 

Low Folic acid seems to correlate with some of my symptoms but again I eat dark leafy greens daily so I am surprised. 

I am so sensitive to supplements since my reaction I am worried about attempting to treat the low folic acid, although I have literally been in hell for weeks now! 

Any advice would be greatly welcomed. 

😓 how are you today , i see no one came to answer your questions ☹️

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

Hi @Phoenixmama

Thank you for responding. 

I am not doing great. I have just read your update on your thread and this is exactly the symptoms I have right now. But I will respond to you 🙂 

I haven’t had symptoms like this in quite a few years. But similar to you I get respite in the evenings. So I know this is still withdrawal and there is hope. 

On 9/6/2023 at 2:18 PM, Alexmember said:

Hello, definitely still interested. Best, Alex.

On 9/3/2023 at 8:37 PM, keogh08 said:

Hi

something very strange is happening, this is not like anything I have experienced in the last four years in terms of waves. I do not typically cycle through waves and windows either. 

3 week ago I started with the most horrific symptoms, this started with a headache then horrible intrusive thoughts which are much worse than have been, suicidal thoughts, complete brain blanking to a point I am struggling to finish sentences or think of words. 

I am severely worried at these symptoms, that these could be the start of something serious. I have had thoughts that I am getting psychosis etc. Totally unusual. Could this just be a form of anxiety loosing control? 

I am planning on getting bloods done this week in case I am low in something. As this does not seem like a typical worsening of symptoms I am used to. 

I would like to know whether it’s common for people to have completely different symptom pattern so far out? And should I be concerned that this is the start of something a lot more sinister? 

Can PAWS send people into psychosis or schizophrenia where they previously have no mental health diagnosis aside for withdrawal? 

2002 started Fluoxetine 20 ; increased gradually  to 40mg 

2004 diagnosed with ADD; prescribed methylphenidate

2004 later in the year  methylphenidate aggravated depression so discontinued   

2006 tried to taper  too quick from AD ( over 3 weeks!) and terrible WD; 

2006 later in the year doc changed to Citalopram (dont remember doze)

2009 (circa)  as Citalopram did nothing good so  back to 40 mg Fluoxetine 

2017 due to situational anxiety Pregablin prescribed terrible side effects 

201 8 tried again to taper fluoxetine 40 mg with   tough WD so back on it 

2020 changed to Escitalopram 20mg as no + effect of fluoxetine 

May 2023 prescribed Modafinil as fatigue intolerable

mid July 2023 started tapering - down to 18 mg daily so far so good 

@keogh08 ai am not sure when and how you stoped taking meds but could this be protracted withdrawal? I hope that someone from the admin team will answer as if it goes on for too long with unbearable symptoms maybe re-instatement of low dose might be helpful. Sending warmest wishes, I see you are in UK  and I am setting up a support group so let me know if you want to join. 

Hi @Jools2816

Thank you for your reply. 

I suffered an adverse reaction 4 years ago. So re-instatement has never been an option sadly. 

Please do let me know of the support group. Thank you. 

@keogh08 Please do message me with your email. I will then forward details. ❤️

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/3/2023 at 3:37 PM, keogh08 said:

Keogh, if you haven't already done so, you may want to read this thread on omeprazole just for context (you definitely don't need to taper after only a couple of doses).

Tips for tapering off stomach acid blockers or PPIs (esomeprazole, lansoprazole, omeprazole)

How is your diet? What foods do you typically eat? Can you link the foods to certain symptoms? Are you a vegetarian or a vegan and if so, are you getting enough B12? 

Are you taking any other medications (including over-the-counter meds)? What supplements are you currently taking? 

@Shep

Thank you for the info. 

I stopped the omeprazole shortly after this post as I was convinced it put me into this very nasty wave. I am amazed at how sensitive I still am to medication 

I am not a vegetarian or vegan I aim to eat a balanced diet. But I must admit I’ve been struggling so bad my diet has slacked. 

I don’t take any other medication besides from Magnesium. But I feel this has now turned paradoxical on me so I have stopped this too. 

After 4 years I need some respite or a window. I have never had a window of longer than a few moments in all these years. 

My sister went through kindling and withdrawal around 7 years ago. She tells me her symptoms before healing are similar to mine now. So I have hope in the fact that maybe this wave will be the  last and hardest one I have to endure. 

On 9/3/2023 at 3:37 PM, keogh08 said:

Hi

How are you doing?  For what I know these symptoms will pass. Yes I have to be careful what I ingest although is hard to know. You may want to check Baylissa Frederick's website. She is is wd and paws coach and counselor. Her program is all about reassurance and hope. Sorry about your situation. I am 26 months off last dose aftet 4 and half years of tapet from a small dose of citalopram.

The prognosis is good for recovery but some people take a long time. I am sorry about your suffering

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/13/2023 at 7:46 AM, keogh08 said:

I stopped the omeprazole shortly after this post as I was convinced it put me into this very nasty wave. I am amazed at how sensitive I still am to medication 

I am not a vegetarian or vegan I aim to eat a balanced diet. But I must admit I’ve been struggling so bad my diet has slacked. 

That makes sense when you're struggling to have a poor appetite. If you can, try to eat small snacks and meals throughout the day to keep your blood sugar even. Withdrawal is notorious for causing drops in blood sugar. Foods high in protein are good, and, of course, eliminating alcohol, sugar, caffeine, and processed foods all can go a long way to helping us feel energized throughout the day and able to sleep better at night. Also, it's important to drink plenty of water throughout the day, as dehydration can mimic withdrawal symptoms. 

Try to eat breakfast soon after waking, even if it's just a small snack-size amount of protein, and drink a glass of water to hydrate after going all night without. This can set the stage for a better day. 

Thank you @Shep

ill look to implement these steps asap. 

one thing that is really strange is that I am cycling through symptoms that change every day. These are symptoms I have never experienced before. 

For example I woke up on Monday to a lip tremor. This lasted two days then left. 

Then yesterday I woke up to almost a twisting stomach, it’s like my stomach is in knots but very strange. 

It’s not so much there now today. I woke with strange leg and arm sensations! I imagine they will go in the next few days. 

But there have been other symptoms like this. And my tinnitus has gone completely after having it every day for four years! 

This is so bizarre the fact each day I get something new, that doesn’t last very long. 

Have you ever seen this before so far out?

thanks

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, keogh08 said:

And my tinnitus has gone completely after having it every day for four years! 

This is a major improvement! This is one of those symptoms that can last a long, long time. This is a great sign of resiliency. It may not feel that way due to the other symptoms, but nothing you're writing sounds unheard of in the long game of recovery. 

23 hours ago, keogh08 said:

Have you ever seen this before so far out?

Yes, withdrawal can last many years with symptoms morphing in and out - some fading, new ones added, then receding. 

This post explains more:

Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take?

Hi Shep,

Yea despite the progress with tinnitus I don’t feel as though I have had many improvements. 

If I am being completely honest I am starting to loose hope. 

I am a shadow of my former self, it’s as though my core has been stripped and everything that defined me as a person has left. 

I don’t understand how I supposed to continue to live like this, especially without any windows like many people get in recovery. 

I am very upset that not only have I spent years extremely unwell I may now have lost the ability to have any more children. This is something I am not able to come to terms with. 

I also don’t understand how a couple of pills have managed to wreck my life. Not only am i not the same person mentally I also do not look anything like my former self. 

I have always been a singer, music has been my life since I was small. I no longer sing nor do I feel the same way about music and this is truly upsetting. 

I can’t see the world as I once did. Something happened to my vision which now means my view of the world is also different. 

The longer this goes on the more I struggle and I’m sure this should be the other way around. 

@keogh08 my heart goes to you! I know it feels without hope; it is how I sometimes feel, if not often. I am here if you want to talk, and please come to the group this afternoon- it is a tiny group with simply wonderful people. We will keep it small so everyone can have enough space. Having you would be so good, and you do not need to do anything. Perhaps you could get some ideas on how to move towards healing and hold on to hope.  It is so hard, I also feel that I have lost most things about myself that were giving me meaning. I go through the motions, and although I do not have windows (I am at the beginning, and my symptoms are due to side effects) I try to have moments, hoping they add up. Please come if you can we will welcome you with love. I sent you an email. x

Thank you @Jools2816

I have responded to you via email. Looking forward to coming along this evening and seeing if there is anything else I can do to aid recovery. 

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, keogh08 said:

I can’t see the world as I once did. Something happened to my vision which now means my view of the world is also different. 

The longer this goes on the more I struggle and I’m sure this should be the other way around

This is common with many (perhaps most of us) on the withdrawal forums. It helps to visit the success stories and visit them often.

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal

You may want to look into mindfulness as a non-drug coping tool. Mindfulness helps us to let go of the intrusive thoughts that tell us we won't heal. Some ideas for this are here:

Non-drug coping techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Here is another great thread:

Acceptance and Hope

And reaching out to those who post on your thread, as you've already done, to form a support group for yourself is also key. You're doing better than you think! 

• 1 month later...

Just an update on where I am and current symptoms I deal with over 4 years out;

• Debilitating and crippling fatigue daily

• Neck Pain that stems from base of head, dull ache and neck cracking. 
• Brain Fog 

• Poor mental capacity

• Anhedonia 

• Depression

• Eye Twitching

• Tinnitus

• Stress intolerance

• Rumination

• Catastrophic thoughts

• General pain and weakness

I think at this stage if I were to recover it would be many many years away sadly. 

keogh, thank you for the update. you just mentioned your tinnitus went away in here:

On 9/15/2023 at 6:15 PM, keogh08 said:

But there have been other symptoms like this. And my tinnitus has gone completely after having it every day for four years! 

but in your latest update that you still have tinnitus? Does this mean you had a brief window of tinnitus free? I think you also mentioned about your tinnitus going away in the tinnitus topic. So you actually started to have some windows of tinnitus at 3 years out?

I have stress intolerance as well. When I experience stress and anxiety it will make my muscle twitches evolve into limb twitches during the time I try to fall asleep.  I don't really get respite in my remaining symptoms at all. they have been constant since april 2022.

I am so sorry that you are still having these many symptoms this far out...These drugs are real poisons.

2018: abilify(ct) -> lamictal(ct) -> quetiapine(fast taper): no withdrawal syndrome. All side effects and adverse reactions disappeared as soon as I went off the meds.

2019-2021: psych med free;

2021/05 - 08: oral contraceptive for abnormal period (had very irregular period with bleeding that could last 3 weeks)

2021/11: Had shingles for a few weeks, used gabapentin & Valacyclovir. Stopped when shingles stopped. No issues.

2022- 2/11-2/27: Vraylar 1.5mg/day, 2/25-2/27: Mirtazapine(all under previous psych NP's instruction); Went to ER for akathisia on 3/6/2022 and tried propranolol with lorazepam for around 5 days but did not work. Hospitalized on 3/16/2022 due to akathisia and introduced the following: Clonidine 0.1mg/day for 2 weeks; Lorazepam 0.5mg twice/day for 1 week; benztropine 1mg twice/day for 1 week; propranolol 10mg/day for 1 week.

100mg/day vitamin B6 from 4/6-4/17.

No med since 4/14/2022.

@keogh08

just wanting to send you lots of support, compassion and my best wishes to you. This must be all so very hard and I do hope you, myself and all of the other SA members who are suffering get some relief in time.

Jan 2007 - Started 20 mg Prozac 
Early 2008 - 20mg paroxetine. 
2009-11 - 20 mg citalopram

2011-2015 - Prozac 20mg again.

2015 -19 -prescribed 50mg of Sertraline. 

2019 - I switched to Prozac (taken intermittently)

Aug 2022 - Stopped medication

June 2023 - reinstated sertraline.  25mg every day.
From late Aug 2023 trying to stabilise on 12.5mg daily

From Sep 30 2023 - tapered to 11mg of sertraline

From Oct 30th 2023 - tapered to 10.1mg sertraline 

Hi @SlowVeil

Yes you are correct, I have had a couple of windows of tinnitus. Which I suppose is an improvement. It’s back again now, but given my timeframe I’m not overly excited about it to be honest.

I used to get it right before bed now I get it when I wake-up so bizarre! 

When I hear people who have taken meds for over thirty years, healing in half the time I have I am disappointed to say the least. I know we are all unique but I still struggle with acceptance and how a couple of doses has almost disabled me. 

I am not entirely sure what causes the eye twitching but it’s new. I don’t recall having it the last 4 years at least not noticeably. It is present every day now. It’s fairly random happens different times in the day not so much as a result of stress or anxiety.  

Thank you 

@keogh08

Thank you for explanation.

On 10/21/2023 at 8:38 PM, keogh08 said:

I used to get it right before bed now I get it when I wake-up so bizarre! 

do you mean your tinnitus is not 24/7?  or it was 24/7 but now it only happens during certain period of the day?

On 10/21/2023 at 8:38 PM, keogh08 said:

When I hear people who have taken meds for over thirty years, healing in half the time I have I am disappointed to say the least. I know we are all unique but I still struggle with acceptance and how a couple of doses has almost disabled me. 

I feel the same and I struggle with this mentality as well. I can't believe just minimum dose with less than a month would land me in such an awful state. I hope we get recovered from this hell soon and get to enjoy our lives.

sending you warmest wishes.

How is your other condition?

2018: abilify(ct) -> lamictal(ct) -> quetiapine(fast taper): no withdrawal syndrome. All side effects and adverse reactions disappeared as soon as I went off the meds.

2019-2021: psych med free;

2021/05 - 08: oral contraceptive for abnormal period (had very irregular period with bleeding that could last 3 weeks)

2021/11: Had shingles for a few weeks, used gabapentin & Valacyclovir. Stopped when shingles stopped. No issues.

2022- 2/11-2/27: Vraylar 1.5mg/day, 2/25-2/27: Mirtazapine(all under previous psych NP's instruction); Went to ER for akathisia on 3/6/2022 and tried propranolol with lorazepam for around 5 days but did not work. Hospitalized on 3/16/2022 due to akathisia and introduced the following: Clonidine 0.1mg/day for 2 weeks; Lorazepam 0.5mg twice/day for 1 week; benztropine 1mg twice/day for 1 week; propranolol 10mg/day for 1 week.

100mg/day vitamin B6 from 4/6-4/17.

No med since 4/14/2022.

@SlowVeil I hope you are well. 

No my tinnitus has never been 24/7. I get it right before falling to sleep and have done for full 4 years. As soon as I hit my pillow it starts. 

My sleep is really poor at the moment. I have been able to sleep too much the last four years. Where as now I cannot get to sleep and suffer a lot the next day. 

My other symptoms are pretty much the same. 

Best wishes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey im adverse reaction too. 18 months out. I hope you feel better 💕

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2023 at 12:37 PM, keogh08 said:

Hi

btw this sounds exactly what I have. My initial reaction to the citoplram was headache, the thoughts & akathesia. It has came & gone in different intensities these past months. I recently just took an antibiotic & it came back again in full force. You are not alone. I can assure you we are not going crazy  & this is not the real us this is drug induced horrible reaction. My symptoms also feel “better” at night time. I too cannot tolerate exercise or lots of stimulation, stress, as it will ramp my symptoms up 

Thank you @peaceandlove  

I am much better than I was a couple of months ago. I think I got over the reaction to omeprazole fairly quickly. 

Although sadly many other symptoms remain. 

12 hours ago, keogh08 said:

Thank you @peaceandlove  

I am much better than I was a couple of months ago. I think I got over the reaction to omeprazole fairly quickly. 

What happened to us from taking the ppi & me the antibiotics was definitely the akathisia resurfacing but in a “milder” form. Akathisia doesn’t have to be us pacing it can be internal & our minds litterally won’t shut up. People that never experience this don’t realize No amount of “CBT” or mediation, therapy can stop it we aren’t in control of our minds when it happens. That’s so good though that you got over it quickly, means your nervous system is getting stronger. I’m happy for you :) How long do you say it took for it to go away away this time ? 

I just recently found this guy’s YouTube channel. Good to watch so you don’t feel alone. He talks about akathisia etc. he barely got his first window at 34 months 

Lately I’ve just been in my room with no stimulation. I wear noise canceling headphones & try to limit my screen time. I sleep with a weighted blanket & due crosswords that I printed out to pass time lmao it sucks. But I know it’s healing me. I'm not going outside anymore unless I have to. 

also noticed this. I did some research and found proton pump inhibitors affect the D2 dopamine receptors which is also what the drug Latuda ( which caused my akathisia) also affects. There may be some relation to the D2 receptor. There’s definitely a relation to dopamine which all antipsychotics inhibit. I’ve since done research and am careful with any food or med that can up or down dopamine as it may throw off the healing of akathisia. I noticed certain nuts did this.”

from this website https://akathisiainfo.wordpress.com/2017/03/28/updated-suggestions-for-healing-akathisia/

On 11/26/2023 at 3:20 PM, keogh08 said:

Thank you @peaceandlove  

Hey mate, 

So I think i see a pattern with a lot of people on this forum. They attribute everything even years later to withdrawal . I don't think you would be having problems this late on, it's more likely that you are stuck in thought patterns/ ways of thinking that are causing you to be anxious and feel bad. 

I see so many people here not moving on, when in reality if it has been years, they need to move on and stop posting and even giving attention to their symptoms which are likely only remaining because of their obsession to them. 

Nov 2020 - Feb 2022 = Sertraline 50mg

April 2022 - Reinstated Sertraline 50mg twice for 1 week during this month, terrible anxiety so stopped.

May 2023 - Tried Sertraline again 50mg, same thing happened so went to psychiatrist

May 2023 - Fluoxetine 20mg 1 week + Risperidone 1mg week (agitated, no sleep, had to stop)

May 2023 - 25-100mg quetiapine (6weeks) + 1mg Lorazepam. During this time barely sleeping

June 2023 - Stopped all meds, as they were doing more harm than good, led to weeks of no sleep, insomnia and bad anxiety. Took about 4 months to get to 4-5 hours of broken sleep a night.

September 2023 - Tried Sertraline 25mg for 2 weeks , led to no sleep again so stopped.

November 2023 - Wanted to see if my symptoms were due to withdrawal, licked a tiny bit of Prozac powder (few mg probably), immediately wired and agitated, 4 days now of very little sleep, huge pupils and wired feeling. Hoping this goes when it leaves my body. I clearly cannot tolerate any medication. Hypersensitivity.

On 11/25/2023 at 5:29 AM, peaceandlove said:

btw this sounds exactly what I have. My initial reaction to the citoplram was headache, the thoughts & akathesia. It has came & gone in different intensities these past months. I recently just took an antibiotic & it came back again in full force. You are not alone. I can assure you we are not going crazy  & this is not the real us this is drug induced horrible reaction. My symptoms also feel “better” at night time. I too cannot tolerate exercise or lots of stimulation, stress, as it will ramp my symptoms up 

I have the same symptoms as you, and i believe like you say it is all to do with the nervous system being hypersensitive, exercise, caffeine, alcohol, all make my symptoms worse

April 2022 - Reinstated Sertraline 50mg twice for 1 week during this month, terrible anxiety so stopped.

May 2023 - Tried Sertraline again 50mg, same thing happened so went to psychiatrist

May 2023 - Fluoxetine 20mg 1 week + Risperidone 1mg week (agitated, no sleep, had to stop)

May 2023 - 25-100mg quetiapine (6weeks) + 1mg Lorazepam. During this time barely sleeping

June 2023 - Stopped all meds, as they were doing more harm than good, led to weeks of no sleep, insomnia and bad anxiety. Took about 4 months to get to 4-5 hours of broken sleep a night.

September 2023 - Tried Sertraline 25mg for 2 weeks , led to no sleep again so stopped.

November 2023 - Wanted to see if my symptoms were due to withdrawal, licked a tiny bit of Prozac powder (few mg probably), immediately wired and agitated, 4 days now of very little sleep, huge pupils and wired feeling. Hoping this goes when it leaves my body. I clearly cannot tolerate any medication. Hypersensitivity.

33 minutes ago, dylboy12 said:

Hey mate, 

So I think i see a pattern with a lot of people on this forum. They attribute everything even years later to withdrawal . I don't think you would be having problems this late on, it's more likely that you are stuck in thought patterns/ ways of thinking that are causing you to be anxious and feel bad. 

I see so many people here not moving on, when in reality if it has been years, they need to move on and stop posting and even giving attention to their symptoms which are likely only remaining because of their obsession to them. 

I’m not sure what you are trying to imply by this comment but if you read my thread you would realise that my symptoms are largely not anxious and feeling bad. I have a lot of sensitives caused by my reaction to citalopram. Like exercise intolerance, fatigue etc. These symptoms are not those that I experienced directly after my reaction either. These patterns have changed through the healing process I am undertaking. My psychological symptoms have mostly gone. 

Now here is my issue with your comment which I find a little insulting, most people assume that adverse reactions are the same as withdrawal. They are not. 

When you suffer an adverse reaction, your brain and nervous system is literally fried. 

Many reputable psychiatrists I have contacted acknowledge what happens such as Dr. Shipko and it can take upwards of 7 years to heal. 

@dylboy12 if was at as simple as changing our thought patterns then I can guarantee this site would be defunct as most people would not be suffering. 

And I would have been back on track with my life almost 5 years ago. 

6 hours ago, keogh08 said:

@dylboy12 if was at as simple as changing our thought patterns then I can guarantee this site would be defunct as most people would not be suffering. 

And I would have been back on track with my life almost 5 years ago. 

I have had multiple adverse reactions to drugs and am in a similar situation just not years into it. But i think, if you are ever going to get better you need to look at other causes for your symptoms and stop posting on forums and even researching about it. You're thinking worst case if you think 7 years is average. 

I understand some people are very unlucky and do have symptoms for a long time, but you've said the fatigue etc didn't come for a long time so in my view that's not caused by the adverse reaction