keogh08: adverse reaction to citalopram - akathisia?

keogh08

@dylboy12 I wish I could identify another cause for the fatigue and tinnitus along with cognitive issues but I cannot. I have had every possible test and apparently I am completely healthy. 

I think my adverse reaction was very severe and caused significant damage which I turn means my nervous system is taking longer to heal. 

I would not say 7 years is the average, but for those of us who have not recovered yet I think it’s a more reasonable timeframe. I think the likes of maybe took 5 and a half years to recover. But they did recover and I don’t think it’s uncommon for symptom patterns to change. Some symptoms go and new symptoms arise. 

I don’t spend much time on here, not as much as I did in the earlier years and I think that in itself is some healing. 

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

13 hours ago, keogh08 said:

@dylboy12 I wish I could identify another cause for the fatigue and tinnitus along with cognitive issues but I cannot. I have had every possible test and apparently I am completely healthy. 

I think my adverse reaction was very severe and caused significant damage which I turn means my nervous system is taking longer to heal. 

I would not say 7 years is the average, but for those of us who have not recovered yet I think it’s a more reasonable timeframe. I think the likes of maybe took 5 and a half years to recover. But they did recover and I don’t think it’s uncommon for symptom patterns to change. Some symptoms go and new symptoms arise. 

I don’t spend much time on here, not as much as I did in the earlier years and I think that in itself is some healing. 

Hey man, 

you were right my comment yesterday was a bit rude. You are suffering still and that's the facts. So i apologise!

Have you looked at other aspects of your life ? Diet mainly. What happens when you exercise as you said you have an intolerance. I also have that and i cant even go for a walk without getting insomnia, fatigue and brain fog. In my case i think my nervous system is fried and am hoping it will get better with time

Nov 2020 - Feb 2022 = Sertraline 50mg

April 2022 - Reinstated Sertraline 50mg twice for 1 week during this month, terrible anxiety so stopped.

May 2023 - Tried Sertraline again 50mg, same thing happened so went to psychiatrist

May 2023 - Fluoxetine 20mg 1 week + Risperidone 1mg week (agitated, no sleep, had to stop)

May 2023 - 25-100mg quetiapine (6weeks) + 1mg Lorazepam. During this time barely sleeping

June 2023 - Stopped all meds, as they were doing more harm than good, led to weeks of no sleep, insomnia and bad anxiety. Took about 4 months to get to 4-5 hours of broken sleep a night.

September 2023 - Tried Sertraline 25mg for 2 weeks , led to no sleep again so stopped.

November 2023 - Wanted to see if my symptoms were due to withdrawal, licked a tiny bit of Prozac powder (few mg probably), immediately wired and agitated, 4 days now of very little sleep, huge pupils and wired feeling. Hoping this goes when it leaves my body. I clearly cannot tolerate any medication. Hypersensitivity.

A recent update of where I am. This recovery certainly isn’t linear and my symptoms pattern the last few years are mostly changing. 

The last 6 months seems to be focussed around pain. I’ve had pains all over but mostly in the neck region, both sides of my glands and neck muscles continuously ache and hurt to touch. 

I also have a constant head cold that accompanies this pain. It’s like my ears, head and nose in blocked. This does not follow waves and windows it is a constant. I have considered that it is the start of RA. But it is an awful feeling to admit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @keogh08

Have been reading a bit of your thread and I’m sorry to hear you are still suffering with multiple symptoms after 4 years. 

I’ve dealt with constant changing of physical symptoms throughout my journey and it’s frustrating to say the least.

Try to look at it as a positive in that your nervous system is trying to fix itself. So many things have to be repaired and when one part is repaired it can upset another part which then needs to repairs itself and on and on it goes. Over time less needs to be repaired and your overall baseline will slowly improve.

Unfortunately, for some of use it takes a lot longer, but we do get there in the end. I’m sure you will see improvement over the next 12 months but don’t be surprised if things get bad again.

Take care.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Held for approx 4 to 6 weeks min on each reduction.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

Used diazepam (2018) 10mg 10th Nov, 5mg 11th Nov, 2.5mg 12 Nov, 2mg 13th Nov.

Used diazepam 10mg 24th Nov, 7.5 25th Nov and 5mg 26th November 2018

• 3 weeks later...

I have a major update to share! 

I have managed to 3k runs in the space of a week with no serious adverse affects such as a wave etc. 

The last time I tried this was August last year and it resulted in a 3 days wave bed bound with headaches, fatigue and low mood. 

This for me is a major improvement that I would like to continue to improve and loose the excess 3 stone I gained during withdrawal. Yep I gained weight not lost it. I believe this is due to the debilitating fatigue I have experienced for over 4 years. 

Here is where I need help or advice. The longer out I get from this the more I realise my sleep architecture is destroyed. I believe the lack of quality sleep is the reason I’m not improving as quickly as others. 

Last year I was diagnosed with mild Sleep Apnea with a AHI of 12. I cannot tolerate the mask for longer than 3 hours so I do not use it. I remember reading compsport had this issue but looks like you cannot contact them asking if this ever improved. 

Last night after my run I fell asleep instantly at 9 pm. But my sleep was not deep, it’s as though I’m half awake and I wake for the toilet every night. 

What I would like to understand is if there is a supplement I can take to improve sleep quality. I don’t have insomnia but I really need to stay in my sleep cycles and improve the fragmented sleep if I ever want to improve. 

Would melatonin help with improving sleep architecture or would I be better with milk peptides? I find the forums here are mainly aimed at insomnia not improving sleep quality. 

Any advise would be amazing, I think if I can improve the sleep quality I’m on the road to healing finally. 

@keogh08 I find the following help a lot in improving my sleep:
- magnesium supplement
- calcium supplement
- eating red meat every day, for zinc and amino acids
- either two activated charcoal pills or psyllium husk before bed. They must be taken at least 2 hours away from food or you will lose all the nutrients

Sleep is directly related to your liver health. You should also look into improving your diet:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-foods-for-your-liver#fa-qs

By the way, your chronic fatigue could be related to oxalate sensitivity. It would be good to cut out high oxalate food from your diet.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/healthy-eating-causing-fatigue-maybe-142316297.html

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow that’s awesome your able to exercise without symptoms now, congrats 😁 

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again