LotusRising

@Frogie

I hope you are well?

Yes, I'm doing okay! A wave of air hunger, but it has thankfully passed. My symptoms are definitely getting better with time and my sleep has improved by leaps and bounds :) Still getting those days where I cry and wonder how all of this happened, but overall I can see how far I've come - much thanks for helping me to see this along the way 🥰 Vacation was good! The distraction of the summer was so nice, but now it's back to real life. Finally made the decision to resign from my nursing jobs and actually feel a big weight lifted off - I knew I couldn't go back after all of this. I'm not totally sure of where I'll end up, lots of different paths for nurses, so starting to explore what's out there. The kids are begrudgingly back in school and we finally got the puppy that our family has wanted for so long! She's a golden retriever/bernese cross and she's very sweet. Lots of work, but worth it.

My husband just ran a half marathon and my 12 year old a 10k this weekend, so it kind of lit a fire in me to get out walking again. But boy was I glad to be there watching! So thankful! I'm hoping to be ready for some light cross-country skiing this winter. I've been gifted some shoulder and hip problems as I taper, so I'm doing lots of physio, slowly getting stronger - did you have any residual joint/muscles issues during or after your taper?

How was the rest of your summer? Is the weather more bearable yet?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

• ChessieCat changed the title to MedRN: Buspar, Wellbutrin, mirtazapine over 6 months

@MedRN

What a great update! I'm s glad that you are doing so well. I knew you would once you figured out a schedule that would work for your body.

Air hunger is nasty, but it does go away. It re-visits me once in a while. But then goes away. I have a lot of aches and pains but I have fibromyalgia and neuropathy from a fall I took about 10 years ago. I just learn to go on, nothing I can do about it except accept the fact that is is there. I am best friends with the heating pad and an ice pack lol...

It sounds like you had a really good summer. That's wonderful that you were able to enjoy it. Running? Wow! I could never run that much. Before I was injured I used to run 2-5 miles a day and thought I was doing well. Now I try to walk 5-7k steps a day. That's my exercise ha, ha.

A puppy, how nice. I know the kiddos have been wanting one forever. You will have to post a picture in our Pets topic so we can see her/him? I have a little chiweenie and there is a picture of her there.

I understand about the job. Being a nurse is really high pressure, my daughter in law was one for about 10 years and just left the field to sell insurance of all things. But it is stress free for her and she loves it. I'm sure you will find a job that will be the right fit once you are healed.

I'm ready for fall/winter. The high temps (90's) are still here. I'm tired of it lol... 

Once again, great update. I'm here if you need anything!😊

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 2 weeks later...

@MedRN

Just wanted to drop by and see how you are doing?

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Hi @Frogie

I've had a few rough days with lots of flashbacks to earlier days and have gone from a wave of air hunger to a wave of teeth pain :(  I've discovered that chewing gum helps the pain though, so I'm getting through and just trying to keep busy. It's definitely fall here and we've already had a couple nights below zero, but the days are still warm, so it's been nice getting out to take the puppers for a walk (posted pics of her and our cat in the pet topic). 

I'm thinking I may slow down the taper just a bit. I find I'm starting to worry about how my body will react when the last reduction is zero - I mostly try to get it out of my head, but it still creeps in there. What was your experience after hitting zero?

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

@MedRN

So sorry you are going through all of this. It is hard to taper off of these awful medications. I'm glad you found something to help, I would have never guessed gum. Chew away girl! You could definitely slow down your taper. The lower you go, sometimes the harder it gets. It did with my Lexapro.

But don't think about it too hard. Just think how far you've come.

Send the cool weather to me now lol...

@MedRN

Just thought I would check in and see how your weekend has been?

@MedRN

I'm wondering if maybe you did a tiny taper if it would take you teeth pain away? But you know your body in this situation, so you do what you feel is best right now.

Feel better...

@MedRN

Here is a link that you might read when you feel like it.

@Frogie

Yeah, that's a good point. I've been tapering by .02ml, so I might try .01ml for my 2200 to see how it goes. There was some improvement with the teeth pain this afternoon, so I believe I'm adjusting to my last drop. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

@MedRN

You're welcome. Hope it works!

@Frogie

I tested positive for covid yesterday afternoon. I was feeling fine except for a sore throat and went to bed expecting to feel better in the morning. I woke at midnight and it felt like my nervous system had been ignited. I've had extreme nerve pain in my ears, neck, head and legs for the last 8 hours and it has not let up. I have a bazillion terrible thoughts going through my head. I just want the pain to stop. I don't know how to keep going. I was feeling so good.

@MedRN

Those are covid symptoms. Unfortunately it hits everyone very different. I had the same nerve issues and it felt like I swallowed a brillo pad. I took tylenol and ibuprofen and that helped a little. I bought the Halls defense cough drops that were fruit flavored (no menthol) and those helped and drank a lot of juice and chicken broth.

Could you soak in a magnesium tub or take a hot shower? Have a weighted blanket and a heating pad? Those helped me also.

The worst (nerve stuff) lasted a couple of days with me, so hopefully it won't last long with you. Just get lots and lots of rest. 

I'm so sorry you feel so bad. I hope you feel better very soon. If you get worse with breathing or a high fever, please call your dr.

@MedRN

Just thought I would drop in and check on you? 

Hopefully you are doing better.

@Frogie

Yes, doing better. The really bad nerve pain subsided after 24hrs and then gradually lessened over the last few days. I'm now at a point where I'm trying to determine when to do another reduction. What are your thoughts?

@MedRN

If you feel up to it, would you feel like doing a taper in the next couple of days?

@Frogie

I’m still getting some residual ear pain - it seems to be happening overnight around the same time. I don’t want to make it any worse, so I’ll hold for another day. Maybe see what happens overnight. I’m also really scared to make a reduction after waiting for so long 😣

@MedRN

I can understand being scared. I was all the time.

Just do what you know your body can handle and you will be ok.

I'm rooting for you!

• 2 weeks later...

@MedRN

Just checking in on you.

I'm sorry I haven't been on lately.

Hope you are doing better.

@Frogie

I'm doing okay. My mood has been very low, so I haven't really been on the site. Still struggling a bit from the covid infection, but almost back to myself. I'm not sure if it was covid, or just where I'm at in the taper, but I can now only reduce by .01mL instead of .02mL. It's frustrating, but no sense pushing my body more than it needs to be. I'm also stressing about an upcoming dental appointment for a crown. I will need to have freezing and I'm worried it will rev things up again. Did you need to get any dental work with freezing during your taper?

@MedRN

Unfortunately, the lower you go, sometimes the harder it is because your body is so used to the medication. It's now "screaming" at you to give it back that it really fights you.

I hope you feel better soon. Just taper as your body feels. That's the best way to do it.

Hang in there, you are doing great!! Look how far you've come😊

• 2 months later...

Hey how are you doing ? :) I was wondering how your gut motility issues are? I’m going through the same 

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

@peaceandlove

I'm great! My gut motility is completely back to normal. I struggled for a month or two, barely eating at all on some days, but it all seemed to correct itself without any intervention.

Is your system moving at all? Mine was very, very slow, and it's like the nerves didn't work properly.

29 minutes ago, MedRN said:

@peaceandlove

I'm great! My gut motility is completely back to normal. I struggled for a month or two, barely eating at all on some days, but it all seemed to correct itself without any intervention.

Is your system moving at all? Mine was very, very slow, and it's like the nerves didn't work properly.

I’m glad yours is back to normal! @MedRN yeah it seems like everything is messed up down there. I have frequent urinating, constipation ibs like symptoms 

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

• 1 month later...

@MedRN

Just thought I would drop by quickly and see how you were doing?

I'm doing well!

Starting to think more about the endpoint and feeling a little freaked out, but still excited to be done.

Are you back moderating again?

That is a really normal reaction, when you are almost done. I thought about that a lot, how is my body going to be after all of this? But you heal, and already are healing as you go!

I am in and out. I have had a battle with being sick since New Year's Eve, but on the mend finally I think.

Glad you are doing so well!

@FrogieGlad to see you back again.  Sounds like you've had the bug that so many people around here have had.  My husband got a respiratory illness (non-Covid) on Christmas day and it lasted 3 weeks.  Even now, he has a lingering cough.

It's good to hear you're on the mend.

2007 - 2008          Paxil and Klonopin

2008 - 2012           Mirtazapine following CT from Klonopin and Paxil.  

2012                       Unsuccessful taper of mirtazapine; reinstated.     

7/2013 - 1/2014   Successfully tapered mirtazapine from 7.5 mg to 0.00.

Sertraline (Zoloft) Taper  Aug 4, 2017 - July 18, 2021 - Current dose 0.00

Alprazolam (Xanax)  July 19, 2017 - Nov 15, 2021 0.25 mg.

Began 10% taper  Nov 16, 2021 - 0.25  Jan 11, 2022 - 0.203;  Jan 13, 2023 - 0.0499;  Jan 21, 2024 - 0.0137;  Mar 17, 2024 - 0.0092;  Taper is 96% complete.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @MedRN So happy to see the improvement as you've decreased the benzo.

How are you doing? What drugs are you taking now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@MedRN

Just checking in on you?

20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How are you doing? What drugs are you taking now?

@Altostrata @Frogie I'm doing much better. Still waves and windows, but definitely more manageable. Getting very close to stepping off. I am not taking any drugs - is there a reason you would make this assumption?

@MedRN

I'm so glad that you are doing much better.

Waves are the pits. But you will get through it.

• Administrator

Just catching up! Good to hear you're doing so well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

@MedRN

Just wanted to check in on you?

I'm doing okay! Struggling a bit - this wave of air hunger is still coming and going, sticking with me much of the day for a while now, but I'm staying positive and getting a lot done :) Starting on some summer plans and working away on my nutrition diploma, so lots to keep my busy!

How are you doing?

@MedRN

That's a wonderful update! I'm glad you are able to stay positive and get things done. Summer already? We still have a pile of snow in our backyard, should be gone by the weekend though.

A nutrition diploma? Tell me more!😊

We just got a big dump of snow too! It's quite nice actually - all the brown is now covered up :)  It seemed like a good time to think of sunnier, warmer days and everything always books up so far in advance. We're thinking of road-tripping/camping down into Oregon and Northern California, so there's lots to plan and keep me occupied and excited about.

Yes! I've been working on a distance diploma program for a few years, but really want to get it done by the fall. It would qualify me as a holistic nutritionist and I'm hoping to tie it in with my nursing degree in some kind of private practice. I'd also like to support people that are on a similar journey - there's definitely a big gap in the system that a lot of us are falling through. I don't know how yet, but hoping it will all come together!

Are you looking forward to spring?