Mezzer: cold turkey

Mezzer

34 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

What other's are you referring to @Mezzer

If on other drugs now, would you list them by name, dose, and when you take them each day.

Thanks.

I take the 8.2mgs Prozac in the AM. I’m off the bystolic for blood pressure. 

1993 started 20mg Prozac.

2008 switched to 10mg of lexapro.

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you. Reduced from 12.5 to 10 then from 10 to 7.5. Too much of a drop. Bought a scale and went to 9. Stabilized and went to 8.2 oct 1, 2022. Just got hit with wicked low mood, high anxiety, fatigue, chills. The anxiety is high in the AM and  lessons throughout the day. Hoping to stabilize soon 

37 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Click on the underlined stability in my previous post, I think that was what you were looking for?

And no, 3 weeks is not too long to feel WD from a drop in dose from.

If you can ride the wave, that's good.

How long have you had your current WD symptoms for.

And are you able to function okay or fair now, in spite of the symptoms?

Sorry to be posting a lot. These current strong symptoms have hit hard two days ago. Things were kind of manageable prior. Today just stayed in and hibernated. 

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you. Reduced from 12.5 to 10 then from 10 to 7.5. Too much of a drop. Bought a scale and went to 9. Stabilized and went to 8.2 oct 1, 2022. Just got hit with wicked low mood, high anxiety, fatigue, chills. The anxiety is high in the AM and  lessons throughout the day. Hoping to stabilize soon 

40 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Click on the underlined stability in my previous post, I think that was what you were looking for?

And no, 3 weeks is not too long to feel WD from a drop in dose from.

If you can ride the wave, that's good.

How long have you had your current WD symptoms for.

And are you able to function okay or fair now, in spite of the symptoms?

Yes I clicked on it thank you 

• Administrator

You reduced Prozac about 10 days ago? I would go back to your prior dosage.

Could be the covid also made your nervous system vulnerable to stress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Today it appears to be better. The anxiety has lessened and it feels like I just crashed off a two day crack type bender. (Never tried crack) just tired from running at a high fight/flight level. I think I’m going to hold for now and see if this stays stable. Your right about the Covid as well. After recovering from Covid I have been doing more physical projects which are demanding. Not taking breaks when I should have. Very frustrating going through this. Thanks for the response 

6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I went from 9mgs to 8.2 on October 1. I’m currently at 8.2       Current drop was 22 days ago. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Mezzer said:

Today it appears to be better. The anxiety has lessened and it feels like I just crashed off a two day crack type bender.

Whatever it was, you seem to be stabilizing. You might be somewhat heat- or exercise-intolerant. Don't overdo it and be sure to drink plenty of water. Gradually get back into activities, don't push yourself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Question on healing?

I just bumped into the FB page “antidepressants and psych drug dangers” they seem to be intent on spreading the info of how healing from med withdrawals is not as possible as one would hope. Does anyone know if the odds are greater to healing than not? Is there a history here at all of the  amount of people who’ve made it through successfully. I know there’s the success stories but are there many many more than not? I know this isn’t a support site but I thought this would be the place to get true info. Thank you for what you do 

Edited by ChessieCat
added intro topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

PLEASE NOTE:  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.

Please do not create a new topic every time you post.  There have now been 8 new topics merged with your Introduction.

Your Introduction topic is the place to ask questions and journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you don't have tor repeat your story.

Also, there are many existing topics on SA.  Before creating a new topic in any of the other forums please do a search to see if a similar topic exists.  SA likes to keep similar information in one place so that it is easier to find.

Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
21 minutes ago, Mezzer said:

Question on healing?

I just bumped into the FB page “antidepressants and psych drug dangers” they seem to be intent on spreading the info of how healing from med withdrawals is not as possible as one would hope. Does anyone know if the odds are greater to healing than not? Is there a history here at all of the  amount of people who’ve made it through successfully. I know there’s the success stories but are there many many more than not? I know this isn’t a support site but I thought this would be the place to get true info. Thank you for what you do 

There would be many people who do not return to post about their recovery but just get on with life.  We have members who have returned years later because something reminded them of SA so they have come back to update us.

People who are not sick or are recovering do not stay in hospital or keep visiting their doctor.  And there are many members who join but never post, and the site is also visible to the public without joining so I imagine that there would be a large number of people who get the information but do not need SA's support.

As Alto says, if we didn't know that recovery can happen this website would be closed down.

Brassmonkey successfully got of Paxil after it pooped out.

I have successfully been off Pristiq for almost one year after taking an AD for 25+ years.

Alto recovered from cold turkeying Paxil.

JanCarol is doing really well and has written her success story.

Many of the former staff have left and are getting on with their lives after recovering.

Shep Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines.

And GiaK's history is very similar to Shep's and has recovered.

Need I say more?!?!

Edited by ChessieCat
added a bit more

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

32 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

There would be many people who do not return to post about their recovery but just get on with life.  We have members who have returned years later because something reminded them of SA so they have come back to update us.

People who are not sick or are recovering do not stay in hospital or keep visiting their doctor.  And there are many members who join but never post, and the site is also visible to the public without joining so I imagine that there would be a large number of people who get the information but do not need SA's support.

As Alto says, if we didn't know that recovery can happen this website would be closed down.

Brassmonkey successfully got of Paxil after it pooped out.

I have successfully been off Pristiq for almost one year after taking an AD for 25+ years.

Alto recovered from cold turkeying Paxil.

JanCarol is doing really well and has written her success story.

Many of the former staff have left and are getting on with their lives after recovering.

Shep Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines.

And GiaK's history is very similar to Shep's and has recovered.

Need I say more?!?!

Thanks CC you’re the best 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was reading he cold turkey post by Brass Monkey where he stated his withdrawal buddies who cold turkeyed the same time he tapered and then 6 years later they were still suffering windows and waves. As it states in my history I was taken off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac to crossover. I’ve been at this for 15 months now and I’m so afraid of not healing. We’re those examples brass monkey gave more of an exception than the rule. I know you can’t be exact but I do most not take six years or more? Thanks 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Mezzer said:

We’re those examples brass monkey gave more of an exception than the rule.

Those examples were observations from many years of him being on psychiatric drug forums including Paxil Progress which closed down in 2014.  PP was started before SA started in 2011.

But remember, we are all individual and therefore an experiment where N=1.  For example you could have 2 people who are same age and same drug use but their experience may be completely different.  There is no way of predicting how things will go for any of us here.  If there was then I'm sure that it would be well publicised and members would be directed to that information.

Thank you 

Hi, i made a ten percent drop from 9mgs to 8.2mgs of Prozac over five weeks ago. I’m getting worse symptoms of anxiety, low mood, very intrusive thoughts, vision issues. Will these eventually resolve. I’d prefer to hold and see if they will but don’t want to ruin the chance to go back. My history is not good with tapering because of the fact I didn’t find you guys until being poorly advised so I’ve been in a bit of a mess prior. Any experience would be greatly appreciated. Kind of frazzled at the moment thanks 

@Altostrata hi, I made a post on nov 8th but must not have done it correctly because you guys usually respond well. Someone told me to attach you to it. So it’s been about 6- 7 weeks now since my ten present drop from 9to 8.1mgs. Had a sinusitis with chest congestion and feel better now. It’s been up and down anxiety and low mood. Crummy negative thoughts, fatigue as well. Should I be going back to 9mgs or try and hold out for some leveling off so to speak. Not sure what the infection will do and also had Covid in august. Thanks alto. 

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Mezzer said:

So it’s been about 6- 7 weeks now since my ten present drop from 9to 8.1mgs. Had a sinusitis with chest congestion and feel better now.

Going back up in dose due to issues caused by other things (in your case sickness unrelated to the drugs and withdrawal/reduction) is not recommended.

During those 6-7 weeks your brain will have been adapting to getting less of the drug so going back up to 9mgs could make things worse.

When there additional stress (sickness, loss of a loved one/friend/pet, work/financial/relationship issues, moving, even going on a holiday or over the holiday season when your routine can be very different to normal) during a taper then it is better to hold on that dose.  I hurt may back during my taper and held for longer until my back issues eased.

Stability

WDnormal

And Brassmonkey talks more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

Thanks cc 

Bill 

@ChessieCat could I ask one more support question? Looking at my history, am I in a pretty tough spot as far as being screwed over by my prescriber by being pulled off then switched to other meds? It’s now over 16 months and is so hard to see the healing happening. I realize this could be years but still would appreciate some positive thoughts. I read the success stories like crazy. Thanks CC 

Bill 

Sorry, I was hoping to get some of your experience. If you look at my history does it appear I’m in a bad spot because of the way I was poorly handled by my prescriber by being pulled off one drug and put on another then added one more to deal with. I’m almost 16 months of this and just feeling like my brain won’t heal. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/23/2022 at 6:32 PM, Altostrata said:

8 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Have you seen this subside if so 

thank you 

Have you see this subside if so 

thank you 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's important to look at the big picture and not just focus on the drug issues.  What else has happened?  One thing that we noticed is members having a worsening of symptoms at the start of this year.  Something that I don't think they took into consideration was that during the 2 years prior we had been coping with covid and the associated fall out (work, financial issues, lock downs) and then at the start of this year going back into a world which wasn't the same as before 2020 and of course covid still around.  And other major things happened during that time as well around the world.  So since the start of 2020 there has been a lot of stress that happened gradually and people didn't take that into consideration as affecting them.

Here is an analogy:

When we have the flu we feel awful.  On day 4 we might not have the high temperature that we had on the first few days, but because we still feel awful we don't realise that one of the symptoms has gone.  Recovery has been happening but because we don't feel as good as we want to feel we don't notice that something has improved/changed.

You had covid which can be very stressful on the body.  Even if you are over the virus in the physical sense, ie you don't notice any symptoms, we don't know what other recovery is still taking place "behind the scenes".  You also had sinus and chest congestion (possibly an after effect of the covid, or something that happened because of your weakened immune system?)

Just something to note for the future.  If you have been sick or experiencing additional stress, and you think you have recovered and are okay to taper, instead of making a full 10%, try making a smaller reduction, eg 2.5% or 5%.  This is testing to see if you have fully recovered or there might be some recovery still happening in the background.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, Mezzer said:

Have you see this subside if so 

thank you 

Covid? 

From what I know about covid, which isn't very much, it affects different people in different ways.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think it might be a good idea to do a nice long hold until after the Christmas/holiday season.

Choose a date when you will reassess your situation.  And between now and this date, try not to focus on anything related to withdrawal, tapering, drug issues etc, other than taking your dose every day at a regular time.  Try to be as relaxed as possible and give your brain a chance to do what it needs to do, without adding extra stress to it by worrying about it.

You might find some helpful tips here:

Best of SA - Favourite advice and insights

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

@Altostrata hi Adele in one of your podcasts with mad in America you mentioned many negative thoughts coming back on steroids so to speak. It really resonated with me when I heard you mention this. The top is def cut off at the moment. Is there anywhere on here I can read more about these symptoms to just get some feeling of relief. I could be a poster child for that statement. Thanks for all you guys do 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mezzer,

Obviously I'm not Altostrata, but I can link you to a topic that will help answer your question.

See:

Neuroemotions(and then do scroll up to the first post in that topic, if need be, and start there)

And best.  L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

@manymoretodayshi, I’m switching over from self made capsules to liquid Prozac. I’m presently at 7.8mgs. Can I just switch to the liquid or do I have to make partial capsules? The problem I also have is the tablets I’m using are now a different generic brand than the ones I’ve been using. A bit of a quagmire. Hoping you guys had some advice. Thank you 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mezzer,

How are you doing with the exaggerated emotions, and any other symptoms of note?

6 hours ago, Mezzer said:

I’m switching over from self made capsules to liquid Prozac. I’m presently at 7.8mgs. Can I just switch to the liquid or do I have to make partial capsules? The problem I also have is the tablets I’m using are now a different generic brand than the ones I’ve been using. A bit of a quagmire. Hoping you guys had some advice. Thank you 

I think it is better always to do some form of crossover.....and lo and behold we have a topic that speaks to both of your issues.  The change in brand and going from solid to liquid.  We cannot go back and do over on the switch in brand, but as you go to liquid you can certainly do some form of crossover.  Some do find a way to get their pharmacy or drug dispensary to stick with just one brand for them.  I'm not sure that is always possible, but that is definitely something you could inquire about with your pharmacy.

Cross Over: Changing form(eg tablet to liquid)OR changing brand of same drug

I would encourage you to look this over, especially the section about going from solid to liquid now.  And then ask if you have questions.  And we'll go from there.

I am hoping this finds you well enough, noticing some improvements or positives.  Although, I know it all can get rather tough some days.

And best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

People seem to have a smoother  transition if they take part of the dose in capsules and the rest in liquid, such as 5mg capsules with 2.8mg liquid, taper from the liquid portion.

@Altostrata the only problem I may have is weighing the new capsules at 5 mgs. I’m realizing the scale I bought is less accurate the lower i drop. I paid 40.00 for it. I will be using a compounding pharmacy starting next week. I will ask for some ten mg tablets and break them in half for the fives then use the liquid for the balance. I’ll probably have to make the jump to all liquid at some point. I’m concerned about using my scale to go lower than 5mgs. Not sure if I can work this all out with my prescriber as well. Thanks alto, bill 

@manymoretodays hi, sorry for not responding. My symptoms are high anxiety low mood. Very shaky vision. Head feels very foggy brained. I made my last drop from 9mgs to 8.1mgs then to 7.8mgs 9 weeks ago. I got a sinus virus within that time and havnt been stable for the entire 9 weeks. The second drop was a measuring error so I’m there now. I’m so frustrated not stabilizing yet. Is it normal to take this long. I’ll be changing over to liquid this week. Should I hold out at this level for a while longer before considering updosing? The anxiety causes all the fear of needing to make it better. Any wisdom would be so appreciated thank you 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there Mezzer,

Yup.  Unfortunate.  But yes, it can take awhile to find that stability, and comfort with your own WDstability, so to speak.

And best not to taper any further until you feel just a bit more stability.

I might even hold on crossing over to liquid until I felt just a tad improved.

With a illness in your wake......I would just go slow.  Or hold steady.  Right where you are now.

To cross over from solid to liquid, don't taper at all, while doing so, and follow the formula given here:

Cross Over: Changing the form or changing brand

Okay, I guess I gave you that ^ already.  If you want, get to half liquid and half solid.......and then just sit for a bit too. 

Of course, updosing is not out of the question.  Especially where you inadvertently wound up lower than the 8.1 mg dose.

Hang on.  Communicate here too, if it helps at all.  Members help each other all the time.  Sorry to hear it's still tough.  Ugh.  You can just report, you don't always have to ask a question to post.  You can offer support on others threads if you are up to it.  Go to Finding Meaning, or Off Topic even......

anyway....all for now

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you. This low mg is tough