Neuroemotions

Healing

I'm a good and solid 18 months into 0 mg Lexapro - in some ways it feels longer, and in others, almost yesterday.

I can relate SO MUCH to Neuro emotions - they are by far the worst part of withdrawal.

For me I've had a LOT of them flare up.

The longer you are at 0mg, the easier it is to see that they must be a N.E. flare up and not "you".

It's the same for my background "noise" of withdrawal in my head 24/7... it lessens and you can see things for what they are - your baseline improves.

I've also used some of my neuro emtions for good in a way of recent too!

I found out a lot of negative stuff was happening behind my back at work - about me.

It filled me with a sense of truth about myself - about being proud of who I am!!!

That sense of pride wasn't normal given the situation, but on reflection it was likely neuro emotion.

I was able to distance myself - and my true nature became apparent to others... and shone through.

They ALL admitted they were wrong, and apologized - honestly apologized, and things have been so much better ever since.

2008 (approx) Lexapro 10mg.  2009 attempted cold turkey 5mg for 2 weeks - crash and burn.  2009 back on 10mg.

2012 - pooped out - but didn't know.   2014 - poop-out got worse.  2014 sept 20mg, 2014 oct 15mg, 2014 nov 10mg

2014 dec 7.5mg,  2014 dec 23rd crashed.  Dec 24th 10mg - trying to stabilize

2015 Jan Stabilized as much as thought I would, 2015 Jan 9mg, 2015 Late Feb, 8mg, 2015 late Mar 7mg.  22nd May 6.3mg

2015 small "slide" down to 6mg.  19th June 5mg. 15th Aug 4.5mg - slid down to 4mg.  Sept 20th 3.8mg.

2015 gradual decrease between Oct and Nov 10th to 3mg:  Dec between 3-2mg.  2016 Jan15th 2mg  Feb: 1.8mg, somewhere got to 1.6mg.

2016 Feb 25th crashed!  Not sure if sick or WD, back to 2mg.

2016 During March - gradual decrease to 1.8mg, then 1.5mg.  April 19th 1mg

2016 June 8th 0.8mg   July 1st 0.6mg:  Sept 0.4mg (long hold)

2017 Jan 0.2mg

2017 May 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YAY

On 10/22/2018 at 8:44 AM, scottly9999 said:

I'm a good and solid 18 months ...

Im so glad to hear yours are getting better! This is my second time coming off Lexapro and I'm feeling worse than ever and I'm just trying to keep in mind that my brain is still damaged and I have to wait it out. I just hate not knowing how long it will take 

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced quote

End of August 2015 was put on 10mg Lexapro for anxiety.

Quit cold turkey in June 2016.

Reinstated 5 mg of Lexapro November 2016. I took 5 mg for 3 months and I tapered 10% every month with a few holds in between. I made the drop to 0 September 2018 and I've been completely off meds for a month. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2015 at 11:38 PM, gemini said:

Is anyone going through extreme judgment/dark thoughts about other people, in wd? I am not like that. I'm a humanist and these dark, intrusive judgmental thoughts hurt me.

@gemini I have had these for the last 2.5 years all through WD. Please tell me these went away for you? How long did they ask? It makes me feel awful. 

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

peachy yes they have lessened substantially in intensity and frequency. 

off cold turkey:zoloft, trileptal, stratteracurrently on:<p>latuda .05 milligrams latuda (to stabilize cns) from 20 mgs 4 months ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this...since Thanksgiving I started feeling better relatively speaking and my anxiety was mild and I was able to do more outside of the house.  The past week my anxiety has been high, full of fear, crying a lot.  I am assuming these a neuro emotions and will eventually subside.  I'm so afraid this will never go away.  

Effexor 2008 - 2017 37.5 Mg . Upped to 150 mg on 2017.  November of 2017 to March 2018 went from 150 mg to 0.

Ativan May 2018 started 1 - 2 mg daily stayed at 1mg Sept 2018. 03/9/19 .975mg, 03/16 .950mg, 04/13 .94, 04/20 .93, 04/27 .916 slowly tapered from April to  August 2019 at .77mg,  December 2020 .10mg, Jan 2021 0.0 MG 

Valium June 2018 started 10 mg currently 2.5 mg daily, September 2021 0.0 mg

Trazadone started March 2018 100 mg at night to sleep Oct 16, 2018 went to 75 mg , November 13, 2018 67.5 mg, Dec 11 60.75 mg, January 21, 2019  54 mg, 02/09 50 mg, March 2022 0.0 mg

Six Ketamine treatments September 2018.  2 treatments a week for 3 weeks

Completely drug free as of March 2022

• 5 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure it will Rezten.

September 2014 to July 2015 - 20 mg Lexapro, 30mg Mirtazipine

August 2015 to November 2016- 10mg Lexapro, 30 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 - 10mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2017 to Mach 2018 - 5mg/2.5mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Mach 2018 to Dec. 2018 - 0mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone experience getting really emotional (bursting into tears) when watching a video? Like, in a movie, when the good guys win against the bad guys, or watching animals save humans on YouTube, I tear up and almost start crying.

- March 2017: 50mg Sertraline starts

- August 2017: up to 100mg

- February 2018: down to 50mg

- November 2018: one-week taper down to 0mg

• 2 weeks later...

Could disturbing suicidal thoughts be classed as a neuro emotion? I've had them since taking Sertraline almost 2 years ago as well as anhedonia. They are almost gone though, but it is very confusing, I have periods when I'm ok now then ten minutes of this horrible delusion which makes me question myself. Lithium orotate has really helped me, mainly the apathy I have now, it is constant though, no sense of enjoyment or motivation about anything. 

Sertraline for 2 weeks, couldn't sleep, agitated,distressing suicidal thoughts. Stopped this drug without taper, after 2 weeks drug free put on Venlaflaxine,  made me feel like a ghost, like I wasn't present, so stopped after a week. After stopping had racing suicidal thoughts which have been with me now since March 2017. 

• Administrator

Many people here have had thoughts of suicide, it's a normal reaction when you think you have no options. Having thoughts of suicide is not the same as being suicidal. They're just thoughts.

Please do not make yourself worse by worrying about passing thoughts of doing yourself in. Bat them away like any other disturbing thought. See

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Deep emotional pain and crying spells, spontaneous weeping

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

If you feel you cannot manage your thoughts and are actually suicidal, seek face-to-face help immediately, see For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2011 at 11:52 AM, Altostrata said:

For quite a while in withdrawal, neuro-emotion led me to memories where I embarrassed myself, made a fool or myself, or was rejected. I couldn't shake them, I was reliving them intensely over and over.

The feeling of shame and worthlessness was awful. I had to make a determined effort, which wasn't always successful, to distract myself from these memories. I kept reminding myself to forgive myself for my mistakes.

Then reliving these memories went away. I'm not having this problem anymore (I hope).

I presume that some area of my brain was being stimulated by dysregulated neuro-hormones, and now it's recovered.

ohmygod THIS!!! i thought it was just me being a bad person, remembering all my faults and misdeeds and that i would be better off ...not alive! so this is a thing too? this brain damage stuff is causing my ruminations and nightmares to keep recirculating over and over??

when does it get better? like, please let the answer be less than a whole bunch of yEARS...i just can't imagine keep feeling the emotional hell continuously for that long. seems my life has been nothing but suffering with a sprinkling of moments of joy...is that the best i get or does it actually improve sometime soon?

UPDATED: 9/01/2019

Quetiapine:  2000-2005: 50mg;  2005: 100mg;   2008: 400mg;   2011: 100mg;   2014: 300mg;   2014-2017: 400mg;  7/2018-2/2019: 75mg;  1/2019: 68.75mg;  4/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (25mg 8AM, 18.75mg 4PM, 25mg MIDNITE);  5/2019: 68.75mg (switched to all liquid taper using HUMCO suspension agent)  8/2019: 61mg       

Clonazepam:  2008: 2mg then 0.25mg;   2012: 0.5mg;   2014: 1mg;   4/2019: 1mg ~completed switch to 3x daily dosing (0.25mg 8AM, 0.25mg 2PM, 0.5mg 8PM);   8/2019: 1mg (switched to all liquid taper using propylene glycol as solvent)    

Gabapentin:   2011: 100mg;   2011: 200mg TID    2014: 300mg;  2017: 600mg;   2019: 900mg PM;   3/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (300mg q8h)

Prior drugs: Please see this link:    (the remaining dates & meds records will be updated as i receive my complete medical files.)

Suppl's: Deva Vegan Multi & Mineral Supplement w/Greens 1x, Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate 100mg 4x, vit c 1000mg  2x, zinc gluconate 50mg 1x q.o.d., Allicin Max 180mg TID,  chlorella/spirulina 50/50 blend 2tabs 5x daily

HRT:  300mg oral progesterone h.s., 0.1mg estradiol transdermal patch 2x week

• Administrator

thank you Altostrata, i've read some of these and will read them all now. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Quetiapine:  2000-2005: 50mg;  2005: 100mg;   2008: 400mg;   2011: 100mg;   2014: 300mg;   2014-2017: 400mg;  7/2018-2/2019: 75mg;  1/2019: 68.75mg;  4/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (25mg 8AM, 18.75mg 4PM, 25mg MIDNITE);  5/2019: 68.75mg (switched to all liquid taper using HUMCO suspension agent)  8/2019: 61mg       

Clonazepam:  2008: 2mg then 0.25mg;   2012: 0.5mg;   2014: 1mg;   4/2019: 1mg ~completed switch to 3x daily dosing (0.25mg 8AM, 0.25mg 2PM, 0.5mg 8PM);   8/2019: 1mg (switched to all liquid taper using propylene glycol as solvent)    

Gabapentin:   2011: 100mg;   2011: 200mg TID    2014: 300mg;  2017: 600mg;   2019: 900mg PM;   3/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (300mg q8h)

Prior drugs: Please see this link:    (the remaining dates & meds records will be updated as i receive my complete medical files.)

Suppl's: Deva Vegan Multi & Mineral Supplement w/Greens 1x, Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate 100mg 4x, vit c 1000mg  2x, zinc gluconate 50mg 1x q.o.d., Allicin Max 180mg TID,  chlorella/spirulina 50/50 blend 2tabs 5x daily

I'm getting very intense emotions even as the other symptoms seem to be passing, I wonder does this last longer than other withdrawal symptoms perhaps..is it a longer part of healing? I have had lots of anger - I call it feeling fierce! I am so cross with even small irrational things.

It helps to know it is a symptom, as I was feeling then quite cross with myself for being so fierce- e.g. about silly things really. I did have a tearful phase and that is going a little, bit veering from tearful (sad) to tearful about really pathetic and silly things, soppy things...you know how people cry at films that kind of thing. 

Last time I had to come off meds very quick was during pregnancy and breastfeeding and that seemed to help, calming I understand it is Oxytocin. I wonder if that might help with this. I mean we can't all breastfeed randomly (!) but Oxytocin can be increased I think by things like calming activities, stroking a cat for example. Although, I have to say am quite prickly and un-higgy sometimes, now as well! Not easy.

It says on Wikipedia, about Oxytocin- 

"Oxytocin has a more complex role than solely enhancing prosocial behaviors. There is consensus that oxytocin modulates fear and anxiety...Nasally administered oxytocin has been reported to reduce fear, possibly by inhibiting the amygdala (which is thought to be responsible for fear responses). Indeed, studies in rodents have shown oxytocin can efficiently inhibit fear responses by activating an inhibitory circuit within the amygdala.Some researchers have argued oxytocin has a general enhancing effect on all social emotions...Oxytocin produces antidepressant-like effects in animal models of depression, and a deficit of it may be involved in the pathophysiology of depression in humans...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin

This is interesting to me as during that time was OK...without meds I mean and in withdrawal...

There is a guide here about how to increase it...I find Loving Kindness meditation calming.and gives the same 

feelings. 

https://www.wikihow.com/Naturally-Increase-Oxytocin-Levels

You don't have to have someone to hug either...you could book an aromatherapy massage perhaps

(the local college does this by me very cheap and is very calming)

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-to-practice-loving-kindness-meditation-3144786

Oh, also yes i agree about the drama and being very reactive to things in that way. I have been like that also, 

and really making myself Stop and Think hard before replying / responding to anything upsetting or emotive

wither online or in RL...not easy is it. I try and turn those feelings into feeling compassion or sorry for the situation or 

just 'it's not my problem".. I never used to care as much about such small things while on meds and nothing happened

when I didn't respond. You never know maybe could teach me something...

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

Start Jan 2019 5mg Fluoxetine mornings. Stopped amitryptilline.

6th Feb 2019 Stopped Fluoxetine, 2 X 425mg St Johns Wort daily. 

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

17th Feb 2019 Started taking single dose 425mg SJW mornings 

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, noearthlyfamily said:

ohmygod THIS!!! i thought it was just me being a bad person, remembering all my faults and misdeeds and that i would be better off ...not alive! so this is a thing too? this brain damage stuff is causing my ruminations and nightmares to keep recirculating over and over??

when does it get better? like, please let the answer be less than a whole bunch of yEARS

During WD, I was OBSESSED with my past failures.  Things I had done 5, 10, or 20 years ago came flooding back to cause crippling humiliation and self-loathing.  It was surreal and horrifying and inescapable.

And guess what?  It did not take me years to recover from that particular WD symptom.  Like all WD symptoms, I can't tell you what the timeframe will be for you, but I have seen so many people on SA discuss this symptom and also say that resolved.  

Ha ha, if anything, maybe I'm a little too shameless these days :)   

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Wiglett thanks for your response! very encouraging! : ) i hope one day i can be shameles and maybe gult-free to boot! i sure have done some whopper bigtime embarassing mistakes

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, and thanks for the valuable info on neuro emotions.  

Here is my question.

Some days I just wake up feeling hopeless and down (once the daily early-morning anxiety clears) for no reason and I suspect it might be neuro emotions or dystalgia (love that term). 

My question is can this down-ness last more than one day in a row? It seems I will have this 3 or 4 days in a row, and then the 5th morning just wake up feeling totally normal. (Once the daily early-morning anxiety clears)

This pretty much normalness with occasional anxiety will last for usually 7-8 days. Then boom back to the hopeless, my life has no meaning, etc. feelings for a few days.

Do you all think this sounds like neuro emotions?

I sure would like some input on this.

Thanks!

This is the best of my recollection.

20 mg Prozac 3-4 days per week from 1994 until May 2018.

Beginning May 15 I began to drop doses. 

I dropped 1 dose per week for the next 4 weeks.

It was not systematic at all. I don't have which days I took what.

so the week of May 13 I took 4 doses, which was pretty normal for me.

Then the week of May 20 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The week of May 27 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The 1st week in June l took 2 doses 20 mg.

The week of June 10, 2018 was my last dose 20 mg.

I had been on Prozac only for over 20 years.  No other medications.

• Moderator Emeritus

There are some days that I just feel angry at the world and angry at everyone around me, for no reason.  But I keep telling myself it is just my damaged nervous system, and that I will probably feel better tomorrow.  Today is one of those days.  I feel angry that I have so little support with my friends and family, because they have no idea about WD from Lexapro and psych drugs.  The neuro emotions are bad on the days I'm sleep deprived.  I'm trying really hard to have a good attitude, and not get swept away by these negative emotions.  I'm trying to just observe them from a distance, if you will.  I'm having quite a lot of flushing today too, so it seems my hormones are also out of whack.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/1/2019 at 11:30 AM, Tweet said:

My question is can this down-ness last more than one day in a row? It seems I will have this 3 or 4 days in a row, and then the 5th morning just wake up feeling totally normal. (Once the daily early-morning anxiety clears)

This pretty much normalness with occasional anxiety will last for usually 7-8 days. Then boom back to the hopeless, my life has no meaning, etc. feelings for a few days.

Do you all think this sounds like neuro emotions?

It sounds to me more like the normal waves and windows of withdrawal.  The waves can certainly last more than a day.  It's great you're having normal days intermixed.  

Neuroemotions are more strong negative feelings of anger, shame, fear, guilt, self-criticism.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14397-neuro-emotions/

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for the input Gridley.

I guess I have progressed to having normal windows and 🌊 😉.

My wave ended today at lunch. Thank God. 

Getofflex,

Sleep definitely helps with the neuroemotions. Yet it is so hard to come by many nights!

one thing this experience has done for me is to make me more compassionate with others who 

are suffering.

Doctors deny what we are experiencing. Society at  large has no idea how much we are suffering, and even loved ones will never truly comprehend it. My husband will argue that it is psych issues surfacing again all at once.

But he is trying to get it. 

My talk therapist doesn’t believe it. But has agreed to go on and see what can be done without meds.

We just have to know that WE know it is real. And that has to be  enough. 

I am so thankful for SA, where we can all discuss our “imagined” plight.

I hope you feel better soon.

@Tweet you are definitely having windows and waves because that's exactly how mine are going. Like almost down to the same amount of good and bad days. It comforting to know that I'm not alone😊 

Amitriptyline 25mg May 2016~August 2016: Caused Tremors

Nortriptyline 25mg August 2016- December 2016

Nortriptyline 50mg January 2017- December 2017: abdominal pain, muscle weakness, migraines, nausea, tremors, hot flashes

Nortriptyline 75mg December 2017- November 2018: symptoms got worse

Fast Taper on November 21st 2018

-first month severe WD: whole body shaking, nausea, migraines, extreme anxiety, panic attacks, irritability, trouble focusing, negative thoughts, hot flashes, crying, insomnia,  flulike symptoms(windows after first 2-3weeks)

-second month- milder but same symptoms. More crying, blurred vision

Thank you Praying Warrior. Hope it is going better for you!

I have decided, if possible, not to share symptoms happening with my husband. 

Our marriage is really being strained because he personalizes my emotions.

Loneliness translates into accusing him of not spending enough time with me, etc. 

Paws really strains relationships right when you don’t need it!

I am so glad to have SA.🙂

Right there with you guys. I started getting angry today for seemingly no reason.

20+ years EffexorXR 150mg. and Lorazepam PRN <- I rarely took this and never developed a problem.
2017 (nov-dec?) -> Feb 2018 fast taper - flipped out in Feb. Reinstated with 75mg-150mg (?not sure) stabilized
2018 Feb Began year long taper - somehow made it to 50pellets, did fine
          Sept -  17 bbs <-- where I started keeping track
           Oct - 16 bbs, Nov - 15 bbs, Dec - 14 bbs
2019 Jan - 13bbs, Feb - 12bbs, Feb Had problems - found SA
           March 19 - 15bbs,  April 17 - 20bbs  <--Updosing

Supplements: Multivitamin,  Fish Oil, B Complex, Magnesium, GABA,  L-Theanine, Inositol

Low sugar/carb diet, plenty of exercise. Meditation
Blood test Results: High in Copper, Low in Zinc, Very high whole blood hystamines

Kind of scary, isn't it? I am going to have much more self-control by the time this is over! I am really learning how to just let things go lol.

yes kinda scary.   i just started getting glad that my terror/anxiety was going away then i wanted to punch a brick wall. im more angry at my self really.

yes on the self control. ive been meditating often lately and sometimes it really helps. i noticed that it gives me a kinda buzz. hmmm.

20+ years EffexorXR 150mg. and Lorazepam PRN <- I rarely took this and never developed a problem.
2017 (nov-dec?) -> Feb 2018 fast taper - flipped out in Feb. Reinstated with 75mg-150mg (?not sure) stabilized
2018 Feb Began year long taper - somehow made it to 50pellets, did fine
          Sept -  17 bbs <-- where I started keeping track
           Oct - 16 bbs, Nov - 15 bbs, Dec - 14 bbs
2019 Jan - 13bbs, Feb - 12bbs, Feb Had problems - found SA
           March 19 - 15bbs,  April 17 - 20bbs  <--Updosing

Supplements: Multivitamin,  Fish Oil, B Complex, Magnesium, GABA,  L-Theanine, Inositol

Low sugar/carb diet, plenty of exercise. Meditation
Blood test Results: High in Copper, Low in Zinc, Very high whole blood hystamines

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 3/29/2011 at 7:02 PM, Healing said:

Whenever you're having an intense, disturbing feeling, try to remind yourself that, right now -- even if it does have something to do with reality -- it is largely a neuro-emotion that you wouldn't be feeling if you were fully healed. And you *will* be fully healed. It's happening! Get ready!

This post is helpful.  As I get off this Lexapro (I'm on a tiny dose - less than 1.0 mg) I'm becoming more aware of people pleasing tendencies in myself, and taking steps to be more assertive and set some boundaries.  However, this morning I'm feeling a lot of anxiety.  I'm fearful of the backlash that may come my way due to setting these boundaries, but am reassured that the high intensity of my anxiety is probably due to tapering from the SSRI.  Jennifer

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• 1 month later...

I have been dealing with a lot of anger and I am having a hard time controlling it and I seem to focus it on my husband.  Things are super stressful.  All he does is focus on finances and it stresses me out because there is nothing I can do about it.  I have been practicing Wim Hof's method and doing cold hydrotherapy.  I feel really calm today.  The same stresses are there, but it isn't bothering me.  I haven't felt this relaxed since the first I took a xanax to be honest.  It is a rainy day and I have been laying in bed listening to the birds and rain and snoozing here and there.  I know when my husband gets home it will be back to finances and stress.  I can't handle that right now, so I am heading to the gym before he gets home.  I think at this point I need to focus on what I can control and just accept and stop worrying so much over things and remove myself from people who stress me out.  I hope this feeling lasts because it is really nice.

2002-2008 On and off Effexor XR 75mg 

2010 Effexor XR 75mg Trazadone 150mg

2012 Abilify 5mg and Buspar added increased Effexor XR 150mg quick taper after 6 months due to pregnancy.

2014 Reinstate Effexor XR 75mg increase to 150mg, 150mg Trazadone, Buspar, Abilify 5mg. Quick taper after about 1 year from Effexor, Abilify, and Buspar.

2018 Trazadone taper over 1 month

2018 Attempted Effexor reinstatement due to digestive distress 37.5 mg.  Failed 2xs after 4 days.  Gastro preacribed Elavil 2 weeks later.  Failed after 2 days.  3 days later full withdrawl.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2019 at 9:53 AM, getofflex said:

This post is helpful.  As I get off this Lexapro (I'm on a tiny dose - less than 1.0 mg) I'm becoming more aware of people pleasing tendencies in myself, and taking steps to be more assertive and set some boundaries.  However, this morning I'm feeling a lot of anxiety.  I'm fearful of the backlash that may come my way due to setting these boundaries, but am reassured that the high intensity of my anxiety is probably due to tapering from the SSRI.  Jennifer

@getofflex I can relate. Realizing that you may please everyone but yourself. I'm working with my therapist to try and counter this action but like you the anxiety/fear of backlash is overwhelming at times. We just have to continue to push foward and better ourselves while remembering that this is all a process. What I've realized though is that it is neuro-emotions because my worst fear of backlash hasn't happened, thank God. Everyone has been accepting and helpful. I hope things have been the same for you as well. 

Nortriptyline 50mg January 2017- December 2017: abdominal pain, muscle weakness, migraines, nausea, tremors, hot flashes

-first month severe WD: whole body shaking, nausea, migraines, extreme anxiety, panic attacks, irritability, trouble focusing, negative thoughts, hot flashes, crying, insomnia,  flulike symptoms(windows after first 2-3weeks)

I'm dealing with very bad neuroemotions right now 16 months after quitting Klonopin. I feel raging mad everywhere I go and in everything I do. You pair this with intrusive thoughts and it's brutal. Do feelings of anger for no reason ever go away? 

For me they did subside gradually and de-intensify. It will not be day by day improvement or even week by week, but I was more likely to say month to month it was VERY gradually getting better. Then three months later it would be clearly a bit better. What I am saying is that the improvement is so tiny and so very gradual from week to week that it can not even be noticed at all until a few weeks have gone by. It is hard to explain. 

The intrusive thoughts fade much the same way. I got in the habit of saying to myself, okay, these repetitive thoughts are part of the process and force my mind to repeat scriptures every time it happened. This helps because your mind can’t think two thoughts at once. This helped. Recognizing that when you get rid of one set of intrusive thoughts another set will likely take their place helps as well. It is your damaged brain playing an endless and brutal game. But if you recognize what is happening and revert to forcing your mind onto some scriptures or whatever works for you it will help immensely and you can beat your mind at its own game by forcing its worrying thoughts out with your own positive thoughts. 

I can still heat up pretty fast sometimes, Boombox, and I don’t know if this will go away. It literally takes my breath away at times.

But overall even this intensity is slowly, almost imperceptibly dwindling away.

It has been a long journey, but you CAN do it! 

I have also been guilty of blaming others, situations, etc. for my anxiety and having negative angry thoughts towards them.

I have learned now to take responsibility for my own anxiety and reminding myself when it is high that it is mine to deal with and has nothing to do with others. This has been so helpful in not getting angry.

Doing this with your anger will probably work as well.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:48 PM, eboyd said:

I have been dealing with a lot of anger and I am having a hard time controlling it and I seem to focus it on my husband.  Things are super stressful.  All he does is focus on finances and it stresses me out because there is nothing I can do about it.  I have been practicing Wim Hof's method and doing cold hydrotherapy.  I feel really calm today.  The same stresses are there, but it isn't bothering me.  I haven't felt this relaxed since the first I took a xanax to be honest.  It is a rainy day and I have been laying in bed listening to the birds and rain and snoozing here and there.  I know when my husband gets home it will be back to finances and stress.  I can't handle that right now, so I am heading to the gym before he gets home.  I think at this point I need to focus on what I can control and just accept and stop worrying so much over things and remove myself from people who stress me out.  I hope this feeling lasts because it is really nice.

Eboyd this must be part of the devilish symptoms of wd. I focus anger on my poor husband about being all business and working.

when he walks in the kitchen in the morning My anxiety immediately escalates. I routinely avoid him. It is a struggle to be nice to him. 

I started asking myself what has the poor guy done? All he has done is worked hard to support us and stood beside me through all my misery. Give him a break! Then I make myself go over and kiss and hug him. It goes away for awhile and then it is back....

I feel like it is getting better so slowly it is hard to notice...

@boomboxboy21 I couldn't have said it any better than @Tweet. It's all a process. A slow process but it will get better and more bearable. My rage, anxiety, thoughts, jealously and irritability use to be so intense to the point I didn't think I could take it. But as time goes I see the very very small progress I make every couple of months and I'm thankful. Just be aware and tell yourself that those are not your true thoughts. Your brain is just trying to heal. There will be obstacles along the way to try and deter you but you will heal. We all will. Just be patient with yourself and trust the healing process. You won't win ever battle with these neuro-emotions but even a tiny win or progress is still a victory. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Was feeling pretty good the past week, and suddenly today I end up feeling quite exhausted and a LOT of neuro anger.  I know it's neuro anger as I have no logical reason to be angry.  I just keep telling myself, over and over, this is just W/D, this is just W/D.  The stupid storm woke me up at 4 AM, but I had 6.5 hours of sleep, so that isn't bad, for me. 

I've been going through this Lexapro W/d for 2 freaking years.  I"m so sick to death of this.  

I am sorry for your suffering. one thing that helps me is remembering how I felt a year ago compared to now.

Gettofflex, I think one of the hardest things is the length of time it takes to go through paws. A person just, like you said, gets sick to death of it.

Hang in there and keep reading success stories. It is a grueling process, but you can do it.

I agree with @Tweet. I had to deal with a year of side effects before figuring out it was the meds and now I am in a year of withdrawl as well.  However much this whole process sucks, it really has helped me grow as a person.  I am a lot more compassionate towards others and I have a better understanding of myself.  I make sure I put the time in to myself now and I refuse to compromise my health and well being for any reason...because I know better.  Accepting where you are and knowing that you won't be in that same place down the road is very comforting.  In the mean time, find healthy ways to cope with the symptom of the day.  Sending hugs your way, because sometimes that makes all the difference.

2002-2008 On and off Effexor XR 75mg 

2010 Effexor XR 75mg Trazadone 150mg

2012 Abilify 5mg and Buspar added increased Effexor XR 150mg quick taper after 6 months due to pregnancy.

2014 Reinstate Effexor XR 75mg increase to 150mg, 150mg Trazadone, Buspar, Abilify 5mg. Quick taper after about 1 year from Effexor, Abilify, and Buspar.

2018 Trazadone taper over 1 month

2018 Attempted Effexor reinstatement due to digestive distress 37.5 mg.  Failed 2xs after 4 days.  Gastro preacribed Elavil 2 weeks later.  Failed after 2 days.  3 days later full withdrawl.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy