apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

I did so the nutrition response testing & then followed it up with saliva & urine testing (gross I know!) this was with 2 different doctors. The doc who did the nutrition response testing wanted to put me on adrenal glandulars & I had already had a bad reaction to those. The 2nd doctor did the other testing & it confirmed what I needed. For the record, I did not tell him about the other testing. Anyway, the 2nd doctor listened to me ~ to what I was feeling. I told him about tapering and my cold turkeys. He explained about the cortisol surges ect & told me he could help. It's been 8 months now that I've been working with him & I feel better. My adrenals are healing & so is my CNS. Rarely get those surges & if I do then I apply DARe. I know that when I start my final Zoloft taper that I will be successful!

It's been a long road and a lot of money. But worth it. ????

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andy ~ checking in on you. How are you feeling? Sleeping? Hoping no news is good news!

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Andy ~ checking in on you. How are you feeling? Sleeping? Hoping no news is good news!

Thanks for checking in on me, B. 

Mixed bag is all I can say. Very mixed bag. 

Positives:

• No major insomnia -- better and worse nights (more awakenings or less, better quality sleep or not) but generally sleeping 5-7 hours most nights.  Still waiting on insurance to schedule my new sleep study so I don't know what the CPAP outcome will be.
  • Attitude has been okay for the most part and have not been overly depressed
  • Anxiety has not been "over the top" fight or flight -- it's there but hasn't been affecting me too much

Negatives:

• Dizziness and sense of "false" motion has been bothering me a lot the past week (when this is strong it does trigger added anxiety)
  • Still dealing with quite a bit of dp/dr (e.g., went to lunch meeting yesterday with 2 other people and it was a real struggle -- I participated but I had to do it in a very "mindful" way where I acknowledged the dp/dr, acknowledged the anxiety derived from that, but still was able to be part of the conversation (so, some pro and some con in that)
  • Still have a lot of body pain, especially in my hips (inner and outer)
  • Pretty decent level of brain fog (although I'm getting better and better and working around it)
  • Tired of dealing with this crap and just wishing I would feel better

The past week to 10 days have been a challenge.  I've been involved in a brutal project at work that is requiring me to be "on" for about 10-12 hours a day with multiple people and constantly changing landscapes.  Hence the fact that I've been less "present" here at SA.

I guess, given all of that, I'm doing decently, but I'd love to have a really nice big wide open window once I'm done with this very busy spell (should be by the end of next week).

Hope you are doing well, B.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi Andy .

Sorry that you're still struggling. I don't really have any answers for you right now , but I read that YogaGirl has a hip routine  -      Yoga  that is helping her. I don't know if she has posted back but Brass was interested and it sounded good. I love Yoga for the flexibility and mindfulness that it brings in withdrawal . It might be worth checking out .  Just a thought. I have found it so helpful in W/ D . I know you tried Yoga at one point - I'm not sure if you kept up the practice. It seems to be an accumulative effect. I think it's certainly worth a go. It seems to be one of those tools that just always helps. I always figure you " use it or lose it " !  I have found it so helpful for mind and body.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting here, Ali. 

You are right -- yoga would be good.  I did it for a long time and loved it but my hips got worse and my range of motion got so bad I felt like I couldn't really keep up.  Then I did "gentle yoga" which felt like "Yoga for totally broken down people" (which I guess I am) and I was the only person in the class that was under 400 pounds! 

I need to figure out a solution.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

LOL .   :)    So - nothing wrong with that .  We do what we have to do !   :blush:  I'm sure it would still be beneficial .

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

You're right ~ mixed bag. On a positive note ~ I love that you "DAREd" during your lunch. ????.

Pain, high stress & just all around busyness definitely takes a toll on you. Peppermint oil rubbed directly on the painful areas really helps. Definitely a cooling sensation ~ I use it every night before bed on my shoulders & back to help with the muscle pain.

Gentle yoga ~ kind of like "people of walmart" yoga? Ha! ???? Agree though with Ali ~ gotta do what's best for you! Hang in there.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Andy.

You mention working 10 - 12 hours a day and also having hip pain. Do you get up from your desk and walk around at least once every 30 minutes or so? I have to do that, even with an 8 hour day because my muscles get really stiff and sore from siting too long. 

I like to do a "walking meditation" because it helps with the dp/dr, too. Even if it's just a simple walk around my desk, it still seems to help. 

I know you're struggling, but it's still very impressive what all you've been able to do during both your tapers.

Sending healing vibes your way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Shep.

I'm usually pretty good about getting up and walking around.  I also go out and take a mid-morning 15 minute walk and usually another one mid-afternoon.  I do a short 10 minute meditation after my morning walk.  It's been a little less consistent during this stretch of long days, but I'm trying to keep up with it.  I might look into combining them in a walking meditation.

I appreciate your words of encouragement.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy--  I remember periods of work like that.  Real killers!!! You've the tools and mindset to get through them.  It's hard on the jaw from gritting ones teeth, but they don't last for ever. Relish the walks, they really help.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy--  I remember periods of work like that.  Real killers!!! You've the tools and mindset to get through them.  It's hard on the jaw from gritting ones teeth, but they don't last for ever. Relish the walks, they really help.

Thanks for the reassurance, Tom.  The end point for this matter keeps getting pushed back.  Feels like Groundhog Day.

Hope you are well,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy. How are you feeling?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy. How are you feeling?

Thanks for checking in on me as always, B.  I'm doing okay all things considered.  I've been working on a deal at work that has forced 12-13 hour days on me for about 2.5 weeks now, and I'm starting to fray at the edges.  Deal is supposed to finish up this week and I could use a break from it to be honest.  Lots of stress but managing at least decently.  I've had ramped up dizziness at times but the anxiety level (other than the dizziness perhaps being a manifestation of stress) has not been too bad for the most part.  Sleeping has been pretty decent as well -- getting 6+ on most nights with some 7s thrown in there as well.  Still feeling a lot of aches and pains all over and struggling with the familiar "how can this all be withdrawal" refrain.  But, in general, I'm hoping that I'm getting to a point where I can think about restarting my taper in the not too distant future.

How are you doing?

Best,

Andy

That is great news Andy!

To think you are under so much pressure at work and still getting your sleep which is amazing. I get dizziness too when I am anxious or just tired out so can sympathise. As long as my mood is OK though I can cope.

You are heading in the right direction.

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Flowers. I appreciate the support.

I'm always afraid to say anything because the minute I do I get hit with a bad day. From the time I posted I've been feeling kind of crappy. A/D gods have it in for us don't they.

Best,

Andy

Oh Dear sorry to hear that.

Yep these AD Gods need a good talking to!

Hope tomorrow is a better day.

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

I hope that you're making sure to rest even while dealing with such an exhausting schedule.

Just DARE those feelings away, my friend. You can do it!

Hello Andy - I am glad you are getting some sleep now.  You have such an exhausting schedule I don't know how you do it.  You are having problems not feeling too great and here I am thinking only about myself....

I wish you well and you are in my thoughts and prayers Andy......how could you not be.....

Stay well,

Love

Lee

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope that you're making sure to rest even while dealing with such an exhausting schedule.

Just DARE those feelings away, my friend. You can do it!

Thanks, B.  I'm struggling with the exhaustion right now.  Need a couple of days to recharge the batteries.

Too tired to even DARE these days!

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

You have such an exhausting schedule I don't know how you do it.  You are having problems not feeling too great and here I am thinking only about myself....

Thanks, Lee.  I've been at it on this transaction for almost the last month.  I handled it surprisingly well for 3+ weeks but the last few days I'm coming to the end of my rope.  Struggling into the finish line so to speak.  Hopefully, once I have a chance for some down time I will snap back. 

You a sweet person, Lee, and don't think only of yourself.  You've been in a rough place but you had that window which is a beautiful thing.

I appreciate your stopping by.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Just checking in with you to say i'm glad you're handling the stresses of work well. Pretty impressive to be functioning at what seems like a responsible position. I'm please for you. Have a bit of chill time when it's all done.

On a sadder note the footie season started here last weekend. My team lost 4-1 at home to Norwich. I once saw us beat them 7-1 with a couple of goals from the legend that is Alan Shearer. How times change. It's going to be a long season. I'm already looking forward to next summer!!

Good luck

Seroxat 30mg (January 1998 > till started taper April 2013 > off completely July 2013) this was about my fourth attempt.

Prozac 40mg ( July 2013 - Feb 2014) 

Sertraline 75mg (Feb 2014- started taper Feb 2015 - off May 2015)

Mirtazapine - 7.5mg for 2 weeks - 3.75mg one week - 2mg one week (December'15 - Jan 16)

• Moderator Emeritus

On a sadder note the footie season started here last weekend. My team lost 4-1 at home to Norwich. I once saw us beat them 7-1 with a couple of goals from the legend that is Alan Shearer. How times change. It's going to be a long season. I'm already looking forward to next summer!!

Thanks, Sert.  Appreciate the kind words.

I didn't realize (or I forgot) you were a Blackburn man.  Could be worse -- you could have supported Newcastle last season.  That was truly a horrid exit from the EPL.

Best,

Andy

I am so sorry Andy I never thought you were having such a difficult time.  I will be checking on you from now on.

Love

Lee

xxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Andy. Been a few weeks. Hoping your schedule has relented a bit & you're getting more sleep. Keep us updated.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Andy. Been a few weeks. Hoping your schedule has relented a bit & you're getting more sleep. Keep us updated.

Thanks for checking in, B.  You are truly a doll.

I completed the major project I was working on and took a few days off and vacationed with friends and family at a lake.  Mostly peaceful time with a few of the usual curveballs w/d throws at you from time to time.  For the most part, however, I was feeling pretty good and the lack of stress was a big plus.

Sleep has been fairly good of late. Getting at least 6 hours most nights with usually only one awakening to respond to nature's call.  I'm getting the home testing kit on 9/7 to see if I need to go back on the CPAP machine and that will help me determine if the lack of truly restorative sleep is due in part to apnea or totally to w/d.  I'm certain w/d plays some meaningful role in it because even when I was on the machine I didn't feel truly rested.

I've seen some improvements in some areas but it's such a slow process it's hard to feel like celebrating.  Then, when you get hit, you go right back down to where you were (or lower) and you doubt recovery was taking place at all.  It really is hard to imagine that all of this comes from taking a drug some doctor and the medical establishment told you was the right thing for you. As the saying goes, "it is what it is."

I am hoping that I continue to stabilize and feel good enough to restart my taper soon.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm just catching up on posts after being offline during the week, and I was thrilled to read your post! 

I completed the major project I was working on and took a few days off and vacationed with friends and family at a lake.  Mostly peaceful time with a few of the usual curveballs w/d throws at you from time to time.  For the most part, however, I was feeling pretty good and the lack of stress was a big plus.

I'm glad you're doing so well. Considering your benzo withdrawal and now being all the way down to 24 mg sertraline while working overtime and taking care of your family is quite an accomplishment.

I hope this "mostly peaceful time" continues and sets the stage for the rest of your taper. 

Andy things are looking up for you - you have had some good days I am happy for you - it has been a long journey - and each day this journey is bringing you closer to complete recovery.

Stay well and take good care of you - you are in my prayers.

Love

Lee

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping the mostly peaceful time is continuing for you.

Andy . You are healing. Hang on to that . :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

So, it's been quite a while since my last post on my own thread.  I wish I could say it's been because I've been out "living my life" and things of that sort, but the reality has been that my frustration level has kept me from posting.  In all honesty, I've spent more time away from the board than at any time before because I didn't want to bring negativity here with so many people in need.  Sort of applying the "if you can't say something nice, don't speak" adage that we all learned in our youth.  I decided, however, that I needed an outlet beyond the several I have (those of you that are outlets for me know who you are and I thank you).

This is such a ridiculous and frustrating process it is hard to imagine that we are here dealing with this craziness.  Never in my wildest dreams did I contemplate the idea that taking a prescribed medication could lead to this kind of suffering.  It's very much like the movie "Groundhog Day" only on steroids and without the fun parts.

After what was essentially a year-long hold at 25mg with the exception of a failed restart of the taper in March/April that led to the insomnia and my decision to continue to hold, I restarted the taper as of October 1 with a 4% cut dropping from 25mg to 24mg.  Some of my symptoms of late may well be due to the cut but there doesn't seem to be a really strong correlation. Or maybe I'm just not really good at listening to my body.

And while I complain I am fully cognizant that I am among the "lucky" in this group because I remain largely functional and able to work a demanding job and meet my responsibilities which many here can't.  So I remain grateful for that while at the same time frustrated by the seeming lack of progress and the ups and downs that seem to form little if any pattern. The constant wondering of "is this withdrawal" that continues to play in my mind is tiring.  I want to simply accept that as fact but it seems to be too hard for me to do so notwithstanding the evidence and myriad test results that say I'm "in wonderful shape".  Bottom line is I feel crappy most of the time.  Not horrifically so -- just feel unwell.  Primary symptoms:

• Sleep is still not great.  I never feel rested even when I get 6-7 hours.  I have tried recently to reintroduce the CPAP machine (and I'm having a battle royale with my insurance company over getting a proper calibration of the machine), but I'm finding it harder to tolerate than before my awful insomnia battle in the spring.  I don't know if proper CPAP would help the daily sense of not being refreshed after sleep.  My guess is that it is not related to the CPAP and that it is all about the withdrawal but it's one area where I continue to wonder.
  • GI issues have arisen in the last month.  Not sure if it is withdrawal or not.  It started in connection with a kidney stone I had (not my first -- great fun) and has led to alternating diarrhea and wicked constipation coming in about a 3-4 day spell.  Completely out of the norm for me as I've always been as regular as a clock.  Saw a gastro who didn't seem to be overly concerned and is taking a wait and see approach which is better than throwing meds at me.  There are tons of stories of GI issues on the site so it may well be that.  Just surprising that it seemingly came up out of the blue at this stage.  I note that I did 30 days of the "Whole 30 Diet" in August and it is possible that I conditioned my system so that it "got used to" only good foods so that reintroducing the other foods is causing me adverse food reactions.
  • Heavy-headed, sluggish, brain fog.  This is somewhat variable but most of the time I have some degree of feeling very "off" mentally.  Whatever term you use I don't feel particularly "connected" to my environment.  I find myself in the past couple of days groping more and more for the right word and feeling like my processing time is just slightly increased.  I'm still able to function and do my job, but it does create some fears about the future (probably overreacting, but...)
  • Anxiety.  For the most part this has not been too bad. Crops up from time to time but seems better than it was in the spring and early summer.  I do, however, have some health anxiety that comes up from time to time.  Bad family history with my father and have a hard time with fears of cardiovascular "stuff" due to his history.  This is true despite all objective criteria to the contrary.  I am trying to introduce cognitive behavioral therapy (self-help) in an effort to work on this.  Modest success at best.
  • DP/DR -- this seems to be better and worse in small waves but never completely gone.  In some ways this is tied for me to the brain fog such that my connection to my environment seems "foggy" and "unreal" at times.  There are days when I take my morning walk around the streets of the city and the people seem like characters in an elaborate play that I'm a part of.  Then there are other days when I have greater clarity about where I am and those surrounding me.  Overall, it has not gotten worse and may have slightly improved.
  • Body aches and pains -- I still have a lot of pain in both my hips and groins areas and I continue to wonder whether this is in part or more related to withdrawal.  There are any number of reasons that one could have this symptom so I'm just not sure what to think but I do know there are a lot of people in withdrawal that report this as a symptom.  I do acupuncture and weekly massage to help this physically.  I also continue to get a ton of random shooting pains in various parts of my body, particularly in my left shoulder and arm and in my chest and back.  This, of course, does not work very well for someone with health anxiety related to the heart, hence my continued efforts at working at things.

So, it's been almost 2 years since I started the "too fast" taper of Sertraline (November 2014) and I seem to have more questions at this point than answers.  When I see people like Healy talking about 24-36 months to heal after getting off the drug, I wonder how long will it be until I feel better?  But, it is my belief that we are healing as we taper so that his comments refer to someone who went off c/t because it makes no sense that you don't start to heal until the drug is fully out of your system.  That is contrary to everything I believe and everything that makes sense to me.

Therefore, I think (hope?), on some crazy timeline that I've come up with out of whole cloth, that I will be feeling meaningfully better this time next year and hope to be dramatically improved one year thereafter.  That will be 4 years after beginning my Sertraline taper and 6 years after beginning my benzo taper.  6 years in total seems like a number that makes sense to me so I'm sticking to that!

Even if there is nothing logical about it.

Best to all,

Andy

Hi Andy i feel your frustration.

Dont have a lot to say but i hope the restarted taper goes smoothly.

Someone recently commented who has seen Healy that that timeframe ,,,is just a guess. And yes i agree healing occurs during an informed taper one person comes to mind immediately ...the BM.

This is such a ridiculous and frustrating process it is hard to imagine that we are here dealing with this craziness.  Never in my wildest dreams did I contemplate the idea that taking a prescribed medication could lead to this kind of suffering.  It's very much like the movie "Groundhog Day" only on steroids and without the fun parts.

I sure can relate to this.

Hang in there .

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the response, NZ.

I took the liberty in my powerful moderator capacity to edit your post from "mz" to "nz".  Just because I can.  ;)

Yes, I understand that period of time is a guess or, better yet, an average based on the numerous people Healy has seen.  Just ballparking a time frame in which I might feel like a friggin human again.

Best,

Andy

Thanks i missed that

I took the liberty in my humble member posting capacities  to put above said Andy quote in favourites. :)

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

favourites. :)

Where do these reside, NZ?

lol

nz11

oops i see its not called fav its called 'best of'

Recovering paxil addict

apace, it is such a long journey. But it will come to an end, one day you are down to zero. I have done a five year taper...I cant really believe it, but that's the case. I am not done yet, but hopefully soon.

I had many of the symptoms you mention: pain in hips (not anymore), DR (sometimes even now), anxiety (yes, especially after a cut), brain fog (a lot!), insomnia (sometimes, not so much), GI issuse (just after a drop). it is so frustrating and hard. And so unfair! We trusted those doctors....

You are doing great holding down a job. Can you do any exercise? Yoga has been so good for me. It calms me (and the CNS!) down, its also good for the pain, it makes me relaxed and more focused. (I do a very gentle form of yoga.)

Just hang in there!

All the best,

Amy

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.