apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for that information. I'm not sure it's the Verapamil since you've been at the same dose for so long.  Based on what I bolded in the below quote, I wonder if it's the Valerian cut. Would you be able to do a micro taper off the Valerian? With your prior benzo history, that may be the gentlest way to come off. 

I just hesitate to offer advice about moving anything else since you're in the midst of the Valerian reduction. Since last weekend brought relief, perhaps holding everything steady during this long holiday weekend may help.

At this point i feel totally confused about where I am in the process of trying to stabilize.  I had thought I was back on track, especially with last weekend having seen some real improvement, with sleep pretty decent for the most part and anxiety pretty much down.  The return of the anxiety and some insomnia is disappointing.  I'm generally feeling pretty crappy but wasn't feeling "acutely crappy."  Now I have both.  

The only thing that has changed of significance is the Valerian cut I made Sunday night.  Scary to think that a cut of 10% of Valerian is enough to destabilize me and throw me into a wave.  I suppose it could be just the random windows and waves that occur.  Not much choice but to try to keep things as consistent as possible and hope that this passes soon.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for that information. I'm not sure it's the Verapamil since you've been at the same dose for so long.  Based on what I bolded in the below quote, I wonder if it's the Valerian cut. Would you be able to do a micro taper off the Valerian? With your prior benzo history, that may be the gentlest way to come off. 

Thanks as always, Shep.  That's my gut about the Verapamil as well, however, one thought that entered my mind, and one which is consistent with some of your earlier input on my thread, is the possibility that the combination of Valerian and Verapamil served to "suspend" at least in part, my benzo taper.  I.e., my benzo taper was not as bad as it might have been because these two meds served as a cushion for the taper.  By reducing the Verapamil I may have placed further strain on the Valerian so that getting off of it will require greater deliberation and what I am feeling is really due to the benzo taper delayed reaction.  Just a thought.  No way to know.  I intend to keep the Valerian taper back up at 80% of the original dose and try to stabilize. 

I just hesitate to offer advice about moving anything else since you're in the midst of the Valerian reduction. Since last weekend brought relief, perhaps holding everything steady during this long holiday weekend may help.

I think that is good advice.  I think that regardless of the cause of the current situation, it is not something I can "fix" with a significant change at this point, e.g, I'm not going to add back the second Verapamil pill or anything along those lines.  I think the only thing I can do is try to be as consistent as I possibly can over the next several weeks in the hopes that this all levels out.

Thanks again, Shep.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

The struggle has returned full force. Insomnia is back and better (worse) than ever.

After my initial bout I had been ramping up sleep and thought I had made it through the worst of it and that it was a short-lived event. Wrong. I'm back into the 1-2 hours a night max. Strong sensations of chemical anxiety running through me when I try to go to sleep. Trying to avoid the secondary fear but it's not easy. The lack is sleep just exacerbates all other symptoms and makes everything harder. Wish there was something I knew would give me some sleep without the risk of it going paradoxical. So far, I've not tried anything during this round, but it gets harder as I get more exhausted.

Hope others are doing well.

Andy.

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

stay strong man, it always gets better with time. stay positive and think of positive things. listen to calming music and relax with a bath or yoga. try supplements that you think can help and remember, as unlikely as it seems, this too will pass. 

My life has always been filled with pure love, until antidepressants took it all from me. The laughter, pleasure, and positivity life had once given me seems like a distant dream. Even the darkest souls dont deserve this degree of hell. Hopefully one day i can recover and feel the euphoria i once, constantly had felt. I wish everyone who is suffering, as much support and positivity possible. Once we get through this, its only bliss from there. Soul info: 10 mg prozac for 1 month, then 20 mg the second month, then lexapro (20mg) for only 1 week. Only about 2 and a half months total time spent on them. Then i went cold turkey as advised by my doctor. All this together evoked a huge catastrophe in my mind and body. Any help is much appreciated.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Soul. You really are a special person.

Read your thread and hope you keep gaining strength from the support of others here.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I was hoping the weekend would bring you some relief, Andy.

When I was coming off benzos and the insomnia really hit, a retired nurse on a benzo board told me to just rest in bed with my eyes closed because of something called "micro-sleep". There's a chance I was sleeping more than I thought, although the fatigue the next day made me not believe it.

I don't think your insomnia will last nearly as long as mine because you did a safe taper, but thought I'd mention it. I tried to keep the thought of micro-sleep in my mind to help with the "secondary fear" part of it. Just trusting that my brain knew what it needed to do to heal seemed to help. And oddly, some days after my worst nights were when I had the best cognitive improvements.

Wish I had more to offer, but all I can do is send some healing vibes your way. Like Soul wisely said, "this too will pass".

• Administrator

I used to watch TV costume dramas when the insomnia hit. I found the music soothing and, as Shep mentioned, it brought on micro-sleeps.

Have you tried listening to soft meditation-like music, Andy? Focusing on the music could keep your thoughts from following the anxiety path and help you get those micro-sleeps.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Shep and Alto -- appreciate your weighing in.

I am familiar with the concept of "microsleep" and assume I get a little more than I give myself credit for on many nights.  I assume that's what is happening between the trips to the bathroom!   :P

Shep, I hope you are right on it not lasting that long.  I guess the first round that hit had zero sleep and this has a little so that's an improvement! At least that's the positive spin I will choose to put on it.

Alto, last night I cycled through several of the different guided meditation/relaxation choices on the thread by that name.  Not sure how much that helped but it did keep my lying down so that might be the benefit.

Hopefully, this will turn around in the not too distant future. I am trying not to get too tense about it but once I have to return to work after the long weekend it will be a little more difficult.  Might have to go back to my "Shep Wednesday off" program.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking about you Andy. Definitely take the Shep Wednesday route!

For me the secondary fear is the worst in such situations and I can't help projecting my distress and lack of functionality into the future. That's why I find practicing acceptance key at such times: it will take as long as it takes and I will give myself as much time as I need, put myself 1sr, 2nd, 3rd and so on. Everything else can wait and is not important. I owe it to myself.

Once I stop being fixated on looking for something that will fix me, things start feeling a lot easier and pass more quickly. Maybe you could give yourself permission to feel as bad as you need to for as long as you need to. Something like: Ok, I'm not going to sleep tonight and I will be fine and manage despite that. Regardless of what you do or don't do this will run its course.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Sending positive thoughts your way and just letting you know I am thinking about you as you have been a great help and friend????

Michele aka MapleLeafGirl

Paxil Free Since June 1st 2014

Was on Paxil for 8.5 years on and off from 2001

Did a 4 year successful taper off 20mgs of Paxil

My Successful Tapering Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7812-mapleleafgirl-successfully-tapered-off-paxil/

Tapering Schedule:

3rd attempt at withdrawal going slow..compounded pills
05/27/2010 - 03/12/12: Tapered From 20mgs - 6.2 (2nd year into Taper)
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2 - 1.0 - 05/31/2014 (Fouth and Final Year of Taper)

February 9th 2016 month 20 off paxil and four year taper..experiencing a horrible wave bad bad bad

May 2016 Made the decision to go back on an SSRI  - Currently on Escitalopram 10mgs but planning to taper at some point in the near future

• Moderator Emeritus

Something like: Ok, I'm not going to sleep tonight and I will be fine and manage despite that. Regardless of what you do or don't do this will run its course.

Thanks for checking in, Bubble.  I really appreciate it.

I'm trying to be more self-compassionate and understanding.  It's a challenge but I'm working on it.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Sending positive thoughts your way and just letting you know I am thinking about you as you have been a great help and friend

Knowing how hard things have been for you, Michele, this is really a special note.

Thank you.

Please let me/us know how YOU are.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Latest update:

Sleep continues to be elusive.  Not sure how much, if any, I really got last night.  The good news is that it was, for the most part, not associated with any real anxiety.  So, I was very calmly lying there trying to fall asleep, not getting particularly agitated, but not having a whole lot of success either.  Very weird.  In the hopes of microsleeping, and the thought that it wasn't "uncomfortable", for the most part I just lay there thinking "hmmm, this is really strange."

I'm tired today but not crazy tired.  The circadian rhythm seems to be really out of whack.

Not planning to make any changes.  I think this just has to run its course.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Andy. This last post has a wonderful vibe of "acceptance" about it. I think a large part of the letting go of that "secondary fear" of sleep is acceptance, so this is really good to read.

I hope your sleep is getting better. 

Sending healing vibes your way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This last post has a wonderful vibe of "acceptance" about it. I think a large part of the letting go of that "secondary fear" of sleep is acceptance, so this is really good to read.

Interesting, Shep.  Yesterday (after the night I described) was a better day.  Not like some huge earth-shattering window of "I'm just like I used to be" but in some small but noticeable ways for me it was better.

Last night's sleep was better.  I was in my bed all night and didn't have to go sleep on the couch.  I woke a couple of times but fell back asleep as near as I can tell.  I would guess I got about 5 to 5.5 hours. 

Oddly, I feel more tired and disconnected today.  Not sure if it's a "windows and waves" thing or if it's a reaction to my body feeling like it got a little sleep and is like Oliver standing in line saying, "please sir, I want some more."

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy. Just checking in on you. Sounds like you're doing some "DAREing" of your own with the acceptance of that secondary fear. Hoping you got some rest last night.

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for checking in, B.  I'm doing my best to accept.  Some days are better than others.  I'm working on building up my meditation practice.  Also started doing Lisa Wimberger's "Neurosculpting" program from Sounds True.  I like it so far.  Pretty soon I will have a "six-pack" in my head!

Last night was so-so. I slept kind of restlessly from 11 to 4:30 with one bathroom visit.  I wasn't up but I was tossing and turning a lot.  At 4:30 I got up and took the dog out and then I napped on the couch for another 1/2 hour.  It was decent by my recent standards but lots of room for improvement.

How have you been?

Best,

Andy

Andy, thank you for writing on my thread. I know you are also struggling. It must be terrible not to be able to sleep. I sleep actually very decently, at least one thing that functions by me. I am only plagued by these intrusive thoughts. I bet everybody has something. I am glad that you could sleep tonight. When I was little, my mother always gave me milk with honey for good sleep. Maybe you could also try it. Ok, so I wish you a good sleep tonight and take care. Martina

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

How has your sleep been?

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy, thank you for writing on my thread. I know you are also struggling. It must be terrible not to be able to sleep. I sleep actually very decently, at least one thing that functions by me. I am only plagued by these intrusive thoughts. I bet everybody has something. I am glad that you could sleep tonight. When I was little, my mother always gave me milk with honey for good sleep. Maybe you could also try it. Ok, so I wish you a good sleep tonight and take care. Martina

Thanks so much for posting, Martina.  I tried warm milk for a while.  Maybe a little help.  Probably needed to add the honey!  ;)

Hope you are well.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

How has your sleep been?

Thanks as always for checking in, B.  The last couple of days have been pretty decent.  Not smooth sleep and I'm not using the CPAP (so quality is probably diminished), but I've been getting in the 5-6 hour total sleep range.  The other night I had serious anxiety that ramped up at bedtime and racing thoughts, etc., but it felt like it was totally chemical in nature, i.e., no thought that originally triggered it.

Overall, the sleep has been better I think.  Now I'd like for the dp/dr and other symptoms to feel a little bit better.

Thanks again, B.  Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and thanks, B, for giving me a reason to make a 1000th post.

Now the newbies that don't know any better can start calling me "Goldstar".  :D

Best,

Andy

glad your sleep is getting better, i sleep about the same amount of hours as you do as well...5 am seems to be my new number right now..but i get up and work now..so it gives me something to do....

Michele aka MapleLeafGirl

Paxil Free Since June 1st 2014

Was on Paxil for 8.5 years on and off from 2001

Did a 4 year successful taper off 20mgs of Paxil

My Successful Tapering Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7812-mapleleafgirl-successfully-tapered-off-paxil/

Tapering Schedule:

3rd attempt at withdrawal going slow..compounded pills
05/27/2010 - 03/12/12: Tapered From 20mgs - 6.2 (2nd year into Taper)
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2 - 1.0 - 05/31/2014 (Fouth and Final Year of Taper)

February 9th 2016 month 20 off paxil and four year taper..experiencing a horrible wave bad bad bad

May 2016 Made the decision to go back on an SSRI  - Currently on Escitalopram 10mgs but planning to taper at some point in the near future

• Moderator Emeritus

i sleep about the same amount of hours as you do as well...

Yeah, Michele, but soon you'll be sleeping your hours in Italia!  I'd like to be doing that!

Hope all is well and thanks for stopping by.

Best,

Andy

Whoop whoop for being a gold star!!! ☀️

Glad to hear you did get some sleep. Whenever I get down that I'm not feeling the best ~ I always remind myself of how much better I am than a year ago! 5-6 hours of sleep is much better than no sleep. Just keep accepting those crazy sensations ~ in fact, ask them to please show up at bedtime! (Sorry, that's my DAREing coming out) happy Tuesday

• Moderator Emeritus

How has your sleep been?

Thanks as always for checking in, B.  The last couple of days have been pretty decent.  Not smooth sleep and I'm not using the CPAP (so quality is probably diminished), but I've been getting in the 5-6 hour total sleep range.  The other night I had serious anxiety that ramped up at bedtime and racing thoughts, etc., but it felt like it was totally chemical in nature, i.e., no thought that originally triggered it.

Overall, the sleep has been better I think.  Now I'd like for the dp/dr and other symptoms to feel a little bit better.

Thanks again, B.  Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Andy

The 5 - 6 hour sleep range sounds great.  I'm usually in that range (last night was an exception) but I always feel I could use more. 

I hope the dp/dr lets up soon. Sending healing vibes your way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The 5 - 6 hour sleep range sounds great.  I'm usually in that range (last night was an exception) but I always feel I could use more. 

I hope the dp/dr lets up soon. Sending healing vibes your way. 

Thanks, Shep.  I was sorry to see your post today regarding the sensations you were having.  I will be by your thread to post shortly.

I know you know how "offputting" the dp/dr is so I appreciate your empathic response.

One thing I will note is that yesterday I went for a retinal exam (related to a minor eye condition I've had for years -- SSRI-caused?) and they dilated my pupils.  I felt "off" after that for much of the day.  The feelings I'm having today in that regard could be at least partially a carryover (hangover?) effect.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Interesting you mention that.  I've read a couple of people write about having similar reactions to those dilating drops. Depending on the type of eye drop your doc uses, it either stimulates the muscle contraction that enlarges the pupil or it relaxes the muscles that make the pupil constrict and focus. 

So any drug that acts as a muscle relaxant I'm sure can have an effect on people with a compromised CNS. 

I need to go to the eye doctor, but I'm putting it off one more year. Of course, I've been saying that for the past three years.  :rolleyes:

I'll try to be courageous like you and go next year. I have an extreme form of myopia which makes me more susceptible to retina detachment, so it's something that needs to be done. 

I hope the effect the drops had on your symptoms resolve soon. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Interesting you mention that.  I've read a couple of people write about having similar reactions to those dilating drops. Depending on the type of eye drop your doc uses, it either stimulates the muscle contraction that enlarges the pupil or it relaxes the muscles that make the pupil constrict and focus. 

So any drug that acts as a muscle relaxant I'm sure can have an effect on people with a compromised CNS. 

I suppose this is not surprising to me, but I've gone every 6 months for the past several years.  My CNS may well have reached a point of sensitivity where it is feeling the effects.  Alternatively, I could just be having a bad day in terms of my perception and sensation.

One never knows in this crazy process.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

It never ceases to amaze me that you can get a few good (or decent) nights and then think "maybe I'm moving past the insomnia" only to get hammered once again with the full Monty -- can't sleep, anxiety on the prowl, ruminating thoughts pinballing around your head, doubts that you will get better, etc., etc., etc.

3AM and not much hope of falling asleep on the horizon. Some days it's easier to be philosophical about all this. Today, unfortunately, is not one of those days.

In a rough wave today.

Hope others are doing well.

Best,

Andy

You will get better!! These symptoms ~ while not fun at all ~ cannot hurt you. Accept & just do life in spite of them. Praying you do get some sleep tonight though. Ever tried L Theanine to take the edge off daytime anxiety? It's been helpful.

Keep going Andy, the crap days will end. Hope you're cheering on England at the Euro's. I think they need it! 

Hope you have a good kip tonight.

Seroxat 30mg (January 1998 > till started taper April 2013 > off completely July 2013) this was about my fourth attempt.

Prozac 40mg ( July 2013 - Feb 2014) 

Sertraline 75mg (Feb 2014- started taper Feb 2015 - off May 2015)

Mirtazapine - 7.5mg for 2 weeks - 3.75mg one week - 2mg one week (December'15 - Jan 16)

• Moderator Emeritus

You will get better!! These symptoms ~ while not fun at all ~ cannot hurt you. Accept & just do life in spite of them. Praying you do get some sleep tonight though. Ever tried L Theanine to take the edge off daytime anxiety? It's been helpful.

Thanks, B. Yes, they are far from fun and I'm doing my best to accept them. Makes work a challenge. I left early today and came home and took an hour and a quarter nap. It's a start.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Keep going Andy, the crap days will end. Hope you're cheering on England at the Euro's. I think they need it! 

Hope you have a good kip tonight.

Thanks, Sert! Yes, the Russia finish was gutting but I'm rooting for them and, of course, Iceland!

Best,

Andy

Hey Andy ~ hoping things have improved in the sleep department. Were you still holding at 25mg? I couldn't remember if you were holding or tapering ~ and don't have time to re-read!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Andy ~ hoping things have improved in the sleep department. Were you still holding at 25mg? I couldn't remember if you were holding or tapering ~ and don't have time to re-read!

Thanks, B.  You are always good about checking in on me. 

Sleep has been somewhat better.  I've been having some relatively restless nights but sleeping and waking as opposed to not sleeping at all.  Last night, e.g., went to bed around 11.  Probably fell asleep by like 11:30.  Up at 2:00.  Restless.  Back to sleep.  Up at 3.  Restless.  Back to sleep.  Wash, rinse repeat.  Up for good at 5:30 or so.  A lot better than getting "shut out" but not anything a "normal" person would be delighted with.  :wacko:

On the taper front I've been holding at 25mg of liquid for the past couple of months, hoping to find a stable point so that I can start tapering again.  I have not been able to find one.  Every time I think I'm trending in the right direction I get a wave of withdrawal insomnia and I'm persuaded not to taper into that.  Part of me wonders if the drug is "turning on me" and if I would feel better if I started to taper.  It's such a difficult decision because if you stay in place you are unlikely to get "hammered" by adversity but you don't make any progress and, at least in my case, I'm not feeling any better.  If you do taper you run the risk that you have increased withdrawal symptoms, but you also have the hope that you may see improvement as you shed the drug.

Very confused at this point.  :unsure:

Best,

Andy