☼ AliG: Surviving

AliG

I would also like to go to Timbuktoo, just checked it on the map, seems like pretty country and warm ...

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

AliG, Have you tried melatonin before going to bed? When i had my very first night of insomnia i got this sharp pain in the back of my eyes and ever since every time i wake up i have the same pain there and it goes away in the morning within one hour. I read that human have a lot of melatonin receptors in their eyes and that melatonin and serotonin are pretty similar.

This is from wikipedia: Melatonin biosynthesis in humans and some other organisms involves four enzymatic steps from the essential dietary amino acid tryptophan, which follows a serotonin pathway

Wearing glasses that block blue light in the hours before bedtime may decrease melatonin loss. Use of blue-blocking goggles the last hours before bedtime has also been advised for people who need to adjust to an earlier bedtime, as melatonin promotes sleepiness.[27]

I wish you heal from insomnia very soon!!!

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I would also like to go to Timbuktoo, just checked it on the map, seems like pretty country and warm ...

A real country??  Seaside or inland?  I .......could.........look it up.  The more I attempt to stay offline the more I am drawn back to it.  Chop chop.......laundry, outgoing mail, and possibly........a nap........this exhaustion kicks in a few hours post lunch.......unless I am out and about.  Did oogles of errands this am though.

I love your quote as well......rain AND snow here now.  Not so cold with the exception of the windchill factor kicking on up every now and again.

Sleep Ali.....sleep!

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

LOL I thought Timbuktu was in the Himalayans - so when Martina said "warm" I had to look.  Mali, in Africa.  Okay then.  Learn something new everyday.

Just checking in, how you going, Ali?

We put in a garden bed just before the rains, and now I'm eagerly watching it for changes, growth.  We have one lone bloom right now (an orange Gerbera).  Oh, and I've been fighting the battle to keep the crows from our possums.  My American rellies sent me some killer "pump action water guns" that shoot into the tops of the trees.  I put a little vinegar in to make them extra tasty.  I feel like a soldier going out with my pump action rifle to "shoot" (water) at crows and chase them down the street.  But we've lost so many possums to them, I don't want that to happen again.  We did put in the boxes, and I hope they are crow-proof, but I really don't want to find out that they are not......

Thai food was my favorite in the world, and that was before I went to Thailand!  Now we go to Thai restaurants just to remember how lovely it was!  Did you send up a Buddha balloon?  

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi all,

I'm struggling, still. I thought I had depression/ anxiety back  again, but after doing some reading on here, I think it is more directly linked with motivation ( or the lack thereof ) !! Although I know what I should be doing , in terms of self - care, I just can't seem to carry through, at the moment.  I just feel apathetic, demotivated  and  I'm " isolating " again to a quite a large extent. My friends think I'm still on my holiday ! LOL . This is probably tied in with the depression , of course but there is a subtle divide between the two and right now, that lack of motivation is the major factor. I'm finding  that I can't think my way out of it, and it's, "doing my head in".I'm trying to get through it by distracting myself, but the only thing I have any desire to do is to spend hours on the computer. Before anyone tells me that's not good for me , I already know. That's the problem !

The interesting thing is, it's coincided with a lot of physical symptoms. Some I still had, but others that I thought were pretty much gone, have returned. Dizziness, weakness, heart palpitations, cortisol spikes and agoraphobia ( slight ) are back. Fatigue and insomnia, are still my constant companions ! 

However, I will keep pushing through, knowing this is just another wave.  One last thing. - I'm encouraged to read Nadia's success story. She had a lot of the same symptoms as I and a lot of others do and is now thriving. So good to hear. I'm glad she came back to write her story. It was brief, so for anyone interested, I got a lot out of going back and reading her thread.  ( Nadia : There is hope. )

For anyone else here, suffering from this as well, here is the link :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1203-disconnect-between-interest-and-actionmotivation/page-2

Thank you Reachingforthestars, Manymoretodays  and JanCarol.   Your support means a lot to me. I also want to thank Andy and Freespirit , for their lively discussion  on the  pros & cons of therapy. ( A few posts back .)   :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Sorry about the links, guys. I didn't realize I posted page 2.   :blush:

I have been reading Nadia's thread and wanted to share this. It spoke to me, as did a lot of what she said, and wrote.

I knew what it was like to be afraid and nervous before taking ADs, but at normal levels. Maybe if I had a stressful event coming up I would have trouble falling asleep, for example, but then it would go away. Now it's like if it gets turned on it takes forever to turn off. The anxiety in turn affects my mood. I have always had a tendency toward pessimism and depression, and the mixture of depression and anxiety is really awful. Add not getting enough sleep, and it's a recipe for disaster! So I am conscious that in addition to withdrawal I have my regular issues to deal with, along with normal life stress and challenges. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what is what, but the good news is I think there are things that invariably will help with ALL of it. Like walking, meditating (which I am very awful at, I might add... the important thing is trying), eating well, taking time to rest, confronting your issues, etc. In the end I feel like I tried to take a "shortcut" to being happy by taking antidepressants, and it backfired. If I had started walking, meditating, etc. back then INSTEAD of taking ADs, I'd probably be in much better shape now (I did do exercise and therapy at first, but with time I got lazy). I tend to be pretty lazy about self-improvement in general, or about anything that requires real effort and doesn't have immediate results. I was naturally good at certain things as a kid, and it was easy to just stick to those. Also, there is a huge difference between knowing something intellectually and really living it. I was really always interested in meditation, in letting go, in acceptance, etc.... but I had never progressed much beyond an intellectual understanding of this. I would try to meditate and my mind would wander and I didn't stick with it. This is the first time I try over and over. Success is slow but I make progress. I lose hope a lot, too. But the pain of suffering and wanting to get well and not having an easy solution in a pill for that anymore keeps me coming back to do well. At first I concentrated a lot on supplements, on outside solutions (well, this is periodic... I get impatient sometimes and want another easy solution). Now I think I have to just be patient, but also do everything in my power to help my brain heal. I read stories of other people's successes in overcoming challenges to help inspire me. Then I think I personally don't have what it takes to do it. That "where there is a will, there's a way", but that I lack the will. Then I realize I have to fight for the will, too. It can seem counterintuitive... how do you muster will when you have none? Sometimes my only motivation is avoiding pain. But I also have become convinced that I can try to fake will until I actually get it... this is how I worked myself out of my last bad patch!!). I don't have to feel like doing something to do it... this involves the ability to separate yourself from what you are feeling and thinking... it's weird, but it's possible. Our brain is a complicated place... going through all of this I've realized there are many "mes" inside of me. The anxious, depressed me is often in control, but if I can get the other mes to show up more and more often, then they will eventually take control. I think of the two weeks when I was great in July... MY brain was capable of that. MY brain and body were capable of sleeping 10 hours straight, of laughing and feeling happy, of being inspired and feeling creative and wanting to live... not just for minutes at a time, but days. If I could reach that then, it is possible for me. And reading stories like the one you sent me are really encouraging! So, thank you... '94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.

It took her a while , but she has written her success story.  This inspired me today.   :)

I know what you mean about being on the computer all day.. I do that too.

I also get the agoraphobia thing and not having to deal with people.

I'm just trying to stay away from as much stress as possible.

I'm glad to hear you are still chugging along but not about all the symptoms..

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

Hi AliGindahouse (had to write that since every time I read your journal title it makes me smile xxx Thanks so much for helping me with my NA questions, I really appreciate your thoughts and they've helped me be brave and realise that shame is just my thoughts, not other people's thoughts xxxx

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ali.  Just stopping over.  That was nice of you to say I could visit when I get to Australia.  Maybe I will in a couple of years.  The fall sounds nice there.

Hope you are sleeping and less depressed.  I am being busy but not getting tons done.........slow like a turtle, and the days are short.

Job anxiety........I better just call tomorrow and find out if I made the cut I think.  I'm not sure what I want........or need..........I think I might be okay either way.  Mostly anxiety off and on and then some tear bursts.......none today though.

Nighty night from stateside USA.  Beauty sleep you know..........

Love.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Ali Hi!

Thanks for stopping by my thread - it really cheered me up to hear from you!

I think it is my usual thing about getting anxious about our road trip next week - I always get like this before leaving the safety of my home. So annoying though. I just hope I can enjoy it once we get there - I usually do!

How are things with you? Are you getting any sleep? I suppose summer is approaching for you now. Does it get unbearably hot where you live?

Hugs

Flowers xxxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Ali - hope you are feeling better.  You said:

I'm finding  that I can't think my way out of it

In Marc Williams'  "The Mindful Way through Depression" he calls this ruminating.  And it is the very source of depression.

It's the way a survival instinct - thinking our way out of it - gets us into trouble.

Normally, The Bear Is Between You and Camp, and you need to think of a solution.  Or there is a roadblock, and you need to think your way around.  It is what your brain does.  When the problem is solved, it stops.

BUT - the brain can get caught on things that it cannot solve.  "Why did I say that?" or "Is something wrong with me?" or (insert your favorite rumination here).  Because there is no solution - the mind keeps ruminating.

WIthout teaching a class in mindfulness - mindfulness - is the way through this.  Dalsaan wrote about AAF:

One very effective technique to use is referred to as AAF. Acknowledge, Accept, Float. 

First the situation/symptoms need to be Acknowledged.  Through no fault of your own you are now very sick and there are going to be a lot of very unpleasant symptoms to deal with, and like any major illness getting better will now be your primary focus.  Mentally explore the situation, feelings or lack there of, symptoms etc. and get to know them.

Secondly you have to truly accept that is happening.  The symptoms and feeling or lack there of are going to happen no matter what you say about it, there is nothing you can do about them or the situation.

Lastly, let the symptoms and unpleasantness float off as you go on about your life as best as you can, believing that it will get better in time.

I'm working on a similar acronym called "RAIN" - Recognition - Awareness - Investigation - Non-Identification.  Similar process (Jonathan Foust " Body Centered Inquiry."

But Dalsaan's is simpler.

ANYhow, I just stopped by to tell you I had a dream about you!

You and I and your hubby - he had arranged for us a beautiful beach bungalow in an exotic location.  Mostly the dream was you and me and this house.  It was right on the beach, but surrounded by palms,  It was a 2 story wooden tropical styled house, but instead of being on stumps like a "Queenslander," it had a cellar, like an American "walk-out basement" 

Except that this basement was carved into the hill - the bedrock that the house was built upon.  It was open to the beach, but private - and in the rock was carved the most awesome, magical stone hot tub.  If you thought, "exfoliant," and rubbed your fingers in a crevice, it would produce beautiful coffee exfoliant.  If you thought "coconut oil" or "clay mask" or "shampoo" and touched the right place in the rock, you could get whatever spa treatment you wanted.

I can still see this beautiful, rough rock - but oh-so-inviting hot tub!

BUT - there was a problem.  We kept getting interrupted.  The beach was full of teenagers, and they kept coming in and asking for stuff or telling us stuff, or just interrupting with their teenage style dramas!  We never did make it into that hot tub before I woke up.

I thought you would find this dream as fun as I did.

Hope you are feeling better.  What is your "list of things to do" for when you don't feel like doing anything?  Hot pink boot gardening?  Phone-a-friend? Cook a meal?  What does a day look like for you?

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Hi All ,

Just something that I thought was interesting. http://www.recoverystories.info/climbing-out-of-addiction-and-depression-margo-talbot-at-tedxcanmore/

Also, http://www.recoverystories.info/a-horrifying-journey-through-the-medical-system-by-elizabeth-kenny/

Thanks DreamS, MollyN, ManyMT, Flowers and J.C. ( nice dream ! )  :) 

Don't ask what a day looks like. It can be a very dark place!  Doing it tough " in the trenches ", a day ( depressed) looks like a black screen with nothing on it .Feeling like each second is an eternity ,with no escape and no end in sight. . Being in a " black hole/ tunnel " where there is nothing, but pain. Minute by minute. Second by second. Hanging on by a thread . If I could do all those " happy" little things at the moment , there wouldn't be a problem .When you get to this dark place it is a  "whole different story ". I'm sure those who have been through it know what I mean. Those who have & know what I'm talking about, I hope you reply. It would be interesting to know how you feel , and how you get through !  Day by day .

Having said all that, I know I'm strong and will get through all this . I'm not being negative , just realistic !  I know it will change and I will continue to have windows & waves, and all sorts of other " experiences",  both positive & negative. I'm fully aware of the changing nature of this withdrawal  " beast ". I do get very angry ,bitter and cynical. I'm not all " Pollyanna" , about this but I have to practice " acceptance " . There is no other way.  

Ali

(((Ali))) Hang in there!!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Thanks Luv,

If you can, I can !  You are the epitome of patience. You handle all of this with grace. I saw what you go through on Blue's thread and I think you are awesome !

sorry you're having such a rough time right now...wish I could help somehow...just know this will pass  and better days are ahead...sending love & hugs.

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Thanks D.S .

You did just help !  :)    Thank you.

Hugs to you.

Hi Ali,

I totally get those days and how they feel.   I truly believe you will get through.  I feel that way because you have this spirit inside you that comes through even when you are depressed. 

Thank you for posting the videos, I found them compelling.

Hibari

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Hi Ali - Thanks for visiting my thread, I replied over there, but wanted to greet you in your yard too! I read your most recent posts. You express your experiences very well. I've chosen to back way off being online and on here, but I appreciate reading posts like yours. I really can relate, you are not alone! I'm not Pollyanna about my journey either, I've hit the angry/irritable platform lately and found myself thinking, "I got our of my dark pit to arrive here??" Sound cynical? lol   Sending ((((((((((((((( hugs )))))))))))))))   -- Chia

Read my intro here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7569-chia1214-tapering-lamotrigine-maybe-clonazapam-later/#entry110043

1975 Hospitalized and first exposure to psych. drugs age 13-15 Haldol, Tofranil, Cogentin, Thorazine. On and off numerous AD’s & AP’s no records until 2000

2000 Celexa, Clonazepam 1mg – never exceeded 1 mg except occasional emergency use

2004 Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Effexor, recall add-on trials of Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin during this time also

2007 Lithium added, switch Effexor to Pristiq, still on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) Clonazepam. Some cold turkey quits of everything over the years. No knowledge of WD

2011 Lithuim Gabapentin Lunestra, Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Clonazepam

2012 Taken off all but Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Clonazepam, began Zyprexa

2013 Abilify replaced Zyprexa (high lipids) added Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall

2014 Discontinued Abilify, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall, added Latuda, Quetiapine, then stopped those.

December 2014 Found SA Began slow taper of the only remaining two drugs I'm taking

Clonazepam 0 mg Benzo free as of May 30, 2017

Lamotrigine 0 mg as of Jan 7, 2018   

I'm sorry to hear you have had such a hard time just recently. I totally get feeling bitter and cynical. I understand those feelings all too well.

You are right, you are strong. You are enduring, and you will continue to until it's over.

You can do this, you are doing it. And, I'm proud of you. :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup, me too.  Proud of you!  I'm in deep today.  I am pretty sure I had moments though the last couple of days.......good moments.  Even some positive Christmas cheer.  It'll be back.  Hanging in.  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ali,

Thanks for writing on my thread, I wanted to reply here on your thread though, you wrote:

Hi Petunia,

You do have a way with words.  This rang true for me.  Quote :

" Now, in withdrawal I've experienced what probably gets called clinical depression. It feels deeper and darker than anything a person should naturally experience. Its like an inhuman void where I feel completely cut off from any source of goodness, light or love. I feel totally isolated from anything warm, comforting or safe. Completely disconnected from life. Thankfully, it doesn't last long, not more than a few hours at most, but I can imagine that if someone had to live in this state for an extended period of time, it would be unbearable. What makes me furious is that it has to have been the drugs which made my brain unbalanced enough to be experiencing this. Maybe I can't blame them for the anxiety, because I had some of that to start with, but there's no doubt this 'depression' is iatrogenic, it seems to come towards the end of bad waves, part of a cycle of physical hyper-arousal fear symptoms, followed by an energy/chemical crash. I don't know what's actually going on in my brain, but that's what it feels like."

I was so surprised when you said  quote :     " Thankfully it doesn't last long , not more than a few hours at most, but I "can imagine that if someone had to live in this state for an extended period of time , it would be intolerable ."    End quote.                    

I have been living like this for more years than I can remember.  A few hours ? That would be heaven .

Ali

I'm so sorry you have been feeling like this for so long, I can't imagine. I think you must have an incredible inner strength and a strong spirit. In some ways, I'm glad I've experienced it, so I'm able to really understand what people with this kind of depression actually feel like, its not something you can imagine as being possible from any 'normal' perspective.

I wish I had something to suggest, but the only way I've been able to overcome my short periods of feeling like this is to allow myself to feel deeply into the experience, acceptance of whatever comes up, trying to face it head on and it passes, eventually. But if depression was one of your original issues, then you probably have more to deal with than I do.

Once you recover from withdrawal, perhaps some counseling would help you work through any remaining issues causing your depression.

Thank you for being so helpful here on the site.

Hugs

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks all.   

"  Life isn't about waiting for the storm  to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain . "

Thank you , Petu, but this is " chemical ".  It's out of my hands.   Much patience needed.  I'm trying .  :)    Thank you. What I mean is, that this has been brought on by A/D drugs. Iatrogenic. I didn't have this before. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been working on this one, see if it helps you, too:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3533-acceptance/

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you , Petu, but this is " chemical ".  It's out of my hands.   Much patience needed.  I'm trying .  :)    Thank you. What I mean is, that this has been brought on by A/D drugs. Iatrogenic. I didn't have this before. 

I'm sorry Ali, I must have misunderstood, I thought you meant you started on ADs for depression, they didn't help and now you are off them, you are in withdrawal also.

What you are saying makes sense to me because my first experience with 'chemical' depression started a few weeks after I started taking zoloft, but I never made the connection, who would even consider that an anti-depressant would cause depression.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi AliG, just checking in to say thanks for popping on to my thread a while ago. I've ordered the book you mentioned, i just hope it doesn't fill me with fear! I don't come on here too much because i find it a bit overwhelming with all the suffering. They say 'misery loves company' but at the moment misery just wants to sit on his own in the dark!

Anyway, wishing you all the best and i hope you can find some peace of mind and a shedload of happiness... and of course a Merry Christmas!

Seroxat 30mg (January 1998 > till started taper April 2013 > off completely July 2013) this was about my fourth attempt.

Prozac 40mg ( July 2013 - Feb 2014) 

Sertraline 75mg (Feb 2014- started taper Feb 2015 - off May 2015)

Mirtazapine - 7.5mg for 2 weeks - 3.75mg one week - 2mg one week (December'15 - Jan 16)

AliG, sorry to hear that it has been rough lately. I hope you are able to find distractions and hope the ill feelings dissipate soon. You are a great person that is so helpful in this community. My best wishes to you, ps22

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

• Moderator Emeritus

Miss you.  I feel like I am on a different planet lately.  How is your side of the Earth holding up?  I am slightly better than a heap of neuro- irregularities all misfiring at the same time.

Snow and cold......really brisk.  This wasn't how I was expecting to feel about it.  And then all my emotions are amplified again.

Anyway.......miss you.  Sheesh, I miss me............I miss everything I was getting comfortable with.  I'm not very comfortable at all.

I will remain chill........calm, breathe, another hour, another day...........

I hope I can come up with something on the funnier side soon.  It is how I survive.

Hi  Ali,

thinking of you, hope you're coping OK...xoxo

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Hi AliG,

Cheering you on. Thank you for cheering me on.

Best wishes, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Ali - happy new year!

I hope you have survived the silly season intact and ready to take on "what's next!"

Thinking of you....

Hi Ali

Best wishes for a New Year that brings you improvement and peace.

Love from Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

My dear Ali, everything well for the new year, your friend Martina

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

Happy new year Ali , 2016 is bound to be better than 2015 :).

How are you doing as far as symptoms go at the moment?

I hope your break over christmas offered some relief. If the depression hasn't started to

crack yet , it will soon for sure.

Hang in there kiddo.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi All.

Happy New Year, everyone.   I hope for healing & happiness in 2016 for all here.  :)  You guys are the best. Love & best wishes , for the New Year.

Thanks Fresh. I appreciate that, and the same to you. You have me back on my thread . I've been avoiding it. LOL. Symptoms ? No , I haven't cracked yet !  Waiting. :unsure:   ??  Trying to be patient & accepting. Practicing Brassmonkey's  A.A.F/ meditation & other tools, for my little " toolbox" of healing. LOL.     :) 

Thank you to all of you who have come by to offer encouragement & seasons greetings. JanCarol, Petunia, Sertramean, Purplestar,  ManyMoreTodays, DireStraits, Hopeful , Flowers, & Martina.  Also MollyN , Chia,  Dreamspirit, Luv2 Knit, Hibari  & Wildflower.   Thank you Alto & mods.

Love & Healing.  Namaste.

Ali

Happy New Year Ali!

So glad to see you on your thread.    I am wishing you real healing in 2016 and that you start to find some relief over the next year.

H

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine