RealMe

☼ RealMe: fighting depression/withdrawal from Abilify, Trintellix now on Prozac

Ogres

In terms of how easy these drugs are being prescribed, I totally agree. And the situation is only getting worse judging by comparing prescription statistics from even 10 years ago and now. In the UK, there is a campaign to fight mental health stigma, which in itself is a good thing. The campaign makes it acceptable to talk about depression and other mind ailments. It also makes it easier to get referred to a doctor, which, in the majority of cases, will result in being put on pills. It’s even more frightening that young people, including teenagers and even children, are being prescribed ADs.

RealMe

Well, well, well.  Today is actually the one year mark to the day that I went completely off AD's.  In this past year I have taken antibiotics as prescribed for infections.  Other than that, no prescribed medications of any kind.  I take an occasional tylenol or advil.  I take vitamins B, D, E and Fish oil.  I am very glad to be free of mood-altering chemicals that I was told by medical professionals I would have to take for the rest of my then miserable life.  Life is hard; I'm not making it harder with ADs.  Thank you, SurvivingAntidepressants.org and all you survivors out there. :)

• Like 1

Shep

Happy one year anniversary off AD's, Realme. Very nice update. :)

Ogres
On 12/20/2019 at 2:37 AM, RealMe said:

Well, well, well.  Today is actually the one year mark to the day that I went completely off AD's.  In this past year I have taken antibiotics as prescribed for infections.  Other than that, no prescribed medications of any kind.  I take an occasional tylenol or advil.  I take vitamins B, D, E and Fish oil.  I am very glad to be free of mood-altering chemicals that I was told by medical professionals I would have to take for the rest of my then miserable life.  Life is hard; I'm not making it harder with ADs.  Thank you, SurvivingAntidepressants.org and all you survivors out there. :)

Well done, RealMe! 

Erell

What a nice update, happy anniversary 😃

RealMe

I wrote this in April in response to someone who messaged me, but it's good for an April update so I'm including it here:

I'm in NY so things here are in rough shape for now.  I'm glad I'm not where I was in early withdrawal from all the brain altering medications I was on.  To answer your question about how manageable my withdrawal was, I realize today that I had no idea how to get out of the mental confusion and pain I was in without the help and guidance I found here.  The professionals I sought help from were not able to help me; mainly, I think, because they did not recognize withdrawal from anti-depressants as a real syndrome.  The doctor I was seeing at the time kept telling me he would help me with "this depression."  Most assuredly, I was "depressed" but the reason was that I was exhibiting side effects of the medications I was on!

The taper was pretty much as described by many others.  The pain came in waves, either emotional or physical or both, followed by periods of improvement.  Ultimately, I stabilized; and now I feel like a normal human being every day.  I have what I believe are normal, appropriate ups and downs.  My reactions seem appropriate to whatever is going on with me and my world.  I couldn't ask for anything more.  Even when times are tough, I recognize that I am gifted with normalcy!

I am learning to habituate to tinnitus with the help of an audiologist who is teaching me strategies to deal with it.  I have times when it doesn't bother me and times when it is pretty awful, but it is not as godawful as it used to be.  If I think about how I got it (from prescribed Wellbutrin), it makes it worse and gives me a feeling of sadness; so I try not to dwell on that.  I try to dwell on the hope that it will be better in the future as I get stronger in dealing with it.

Best wishes for complete recovery from anti depressant drugs,

RM

Armorall

Sounds like a success story to me! Are you thinking of posting one soon? It would help so many people!