Mezzer: cold turkey

After med drop how long for symptoms to show

I just made a med reduction with Prozac I went below 10mgs. How long can it be before I notice an effect? Could it be only 2-3 days? I’m not sure it was the Prozac reduction as a bit of stress popped up A day after my reduction. Stress that can creat a

wave. I was assuming because prozacs long half life it would take

a bit more time. Thank you for the help

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

1993 started 20mg Prozac.

2008 switched to 10mg of lexapro.

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you 

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  What % reduction did you make?

Please simply your drug signature (I suggest that you copy what is already there and paste it into a post in your topic) so that we can easily see the drug names, doses and the dates you started that dose.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

When a reduction is felt can be different for different people, different drugs, different reduction amounts and at different times during a taper.  Some people do notice a pattern but even then there might be times when it changes a bit.  This is why keep symptom notes for yourself can be helpful so that you can plan your taper around your life.  I usually made my reductions on a weekend; at that time I was not working on a Monday so it gave me 3 days of non-work days.

4 hours ago, Mezzer said:

I’m not sure it was the Prozac reduction as a bit of stress popped up A day after my reduction. Stress that can creat a

wave.

Two variables, so you cannot know for sure which caused it, but my assumption would be that the stress caused it, especially because of Prozac's very long half life; from my observations it generally take 2-3 weeks for symptoms to appear.

Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions. 

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you CC hoping for the stress as well. 

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you 

Hi I went from 10 mgs to 7.5mgs. I now know was toooo big. Have moved up to 9mgs. Bought a scale and capsules and am grinding tabs and weighing. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mezzer: cold turkey

It’s 15 days since my overall drop. Anxiety is a bit paralyzing. Don’t want to leave the house today. Can a 1mg drop from 10mgs of Prozac to 9mgs have such an effect. It feels like when I was CTed off cymbalta 13.5 months ago. Any wisdom would be appreciated thank you 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please simplify your drug signature, and update it.  Before editing, copy and paste the current one into a post here in your topic, because it contains helpful information; but it is too much for what we need.  The staff do a lot of reading and the idea of the drug signature is so that we can glance to see your drug history and your current drugs and doses.  We need to see drug name, dose and the date that you started taking that dose.  See:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

From what I can see from previous information you have not posted accurate information about your reduction in your last post.  I think you did this, which is a reduction and then an updose:

You reduced Prozac from 10mg to 7.5mg 15 days ago and then updosed to 9mg very recently.

The information, for both dose changes, needs to be in your drug signature.

Prozac has a very long half life and it can take 2-3 weeks for withdrawal symptoms to show up.  If what I wrote above is correct, then the 9mg has not yet build up in your system so your body is still registering the 7.5mg reduction.  Depending on when you updosed to 9mg it could be another 2-3 weeks for it to be at fully strength.  I suggest that you "hang in there" and use Non-drug techniques to cope.  Now is not the time to be messing around with your dose.  You will need to be very patient.

See:

On 7/3/2011 at 4:11 AM, Altostrata said:

Prozac has the longest half-life of any SSRI. After you take it for a few days, half-life is about 16 days. Fluoxetine itself has a half-life of 2-4 days, but as it is processed, your body creates an active antidepressant metabolite, norfluoxetine, which has a half-life of 7-15 days. So Prozac keeps on extending its half-life as it is metabolized.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine , fluoxetine and norfluoxetine inhibit each other's metabolism, extending the half-life of the drug. Because the half-lives are so long, the full effect of Prozac on the brain may not be felt for several weeks.

Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions. 

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

What has been your Prozac dosing since July? You've been up and down, plus you had covid in August?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My Prozac dose since since July has been 12.5mgs. I believe a week before I got Covid I dropped to 10. Got covid aug 3. Stayed on ten until aug 28 and dropped to 7.5 mg. After seven days I received a scale and capsules I purchased and went up to 9 for a more appropriate reduction. I’ve been at 9 to date. I tried to edit my profile but was unsuccessful. I am off the bystolic by way of cleaner eating thanks to the education from sites like this. Thanks alto 

• Administrator
On 9/13/2022 at 6:12 PM, Mezzer said:

Hi I went from 10 mgs to 7.5mgs. I now know was toooo big. Have moved up to 9mgs. Bought a scale and capsules and am grinding tabs and weighing. 

It appears you've been taking 9mg fluoxetine for about 10 days (?), after going up and down several times. Please stop messing with your drugs. If you do not feel stable, don't reduce the dosage.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.