Ozanna: withdrawal from Zoloft and Abilify

• Mentor

Ozanna, I think you're right. I have the same problem, and have it had it since at least my late 20's.  I'm just a light sleeper with a short sleep cycle.  I find using sleep ear buds and e-books is most effective in getting me back to sleep, since it helps prevent the ruminative thought cycle that's common in people with sleep issues. 

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

15 hours ago, Ozanna said:

the anxiety and insomnia are classic, textbook symptoms of Abilify withdrawal and because reinstating the Zoloft hasn't completely relieved the symptoms.

Anxiety and insomnia are also classic symptoms of withdrawal and destabilization from Zoloft.  This is why why suggest only quitting drugs one at a time, so we know what is causing what.  A reinstatement will not completely relieve the symptoms - it will just make them more bearable.  Not only that, it takes a while, as in a month or 2, for a reinstatement to take full effect.  There is no quick cure for withdrawal. What is required is time, and patience.  You need to stay on your current drug regimen for a while, and allow your system to stabilize.  You say you wake up every couple of hours during the night.  About how much sleep do you think you are getting at night on average?  

Please read these links carefully: 

Considerations About Stability - Stop Jumping Around

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

And here is our topic on insomnia. 

Withdrawal Insomnia

Please do not tag me, unless it is an urgent question about tapering or reinstatement. 

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 '02 - 10 mg;  Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Ibuprofen 800 mg, or Tylenol 1000 mg as needed

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

Trazodone on occasion, stopped in late 2019

Xanax on occasion, stopped in late 2019

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, breakfast, 3 PM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, calcium

suppl PM: magnesium 350 mg, GABA 750 mg, Estroven, melatonin 2.5 mg

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I only woke up once last night!  That's the first time I've slept through the night in 3 weeks!  My brain/body is remembering how to sleep!  I'm so happy I'm healing!  

2013 - 50mg Zoloft
2016 - increase to 150mg Zoloft
2016 - Lamictal in addition to Zoloft
2018 - Serequel in addition to Zoloft
2019 - 5mg Abilify in addition to Zoloft
2022 - tapered off Zoloft decrease of 25mg per week over 5 weeks (starting 5/13/22) and then tapered off Abilify 5mg over 1 week (starting 6/17/22).
Last dose of Zoloft 6/17/22 and last dose of Abilify 6/24/22.  

Reinstatement Zoloft 50mg 7/17/22

Reinstatement Zoloft 12.5mg7/22/22

Reinstatement Zoloft 50mg 7/27/22

Switched from Lamictal to Serequel to Abilify as a mood stabilizer, so not on Lamictal or Serequel anymore.

Supplements:Omega-3s - 2,000mg x 3 per day, Magnesium glycinate - 200mg, Melatonin - 5mg

Ozanna, it sounds as though you are really improving!!  Woohoo!  Please don't be too discouraged if you have some waves of symptoms in the future - this recovery process tends to be up and down (windows and waves).  You are on the right track! 

Please do not tag me, unless it is an urgent question about tapering or reinstatement. 

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 '02 - 10 mg;  Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Mentor

Great news Ozanna!  As Getooflex said, you are on the road to recovery!

Tim C

I experienced my first window this week, since my withdrawal started 3 weeks ago, but it only lasted 2 days.  I got one night of sleep after 3 weeks of insomnia and was feeling hopeful.  Then, the insomnia came back.  

I have spent the past two days in bed reading the stories of members of this community for hours straight.  There's something I still don't understand that maybe you can help me with.

If I had found this community before my taper, then I would have slowly come off my meds one at a time over a long period of time and avoided the withdrawal I'm going through now.  

But because I didn't find this community until a couple weeks after my doctor improperly tapered me, I have to go through horrific withdrawal that could last months or years.

Why can't I just go back on full doses of both meds and then start the proper taper off them like I should have to start with now that I know better?  Why is it "too late" to go this route?

2013 - 50mg Zoloft
2022 - tapered off Zoloft decrease of 25mg per week over 5 weeks (starting 5/13/22) and then tapered off Abilify 5mg over 1 week (starting 6/17/22).

Switched from Lamictal to Serequel to Abilify as a mood stabilizer, so not on Lamictal or Serequel anymore.

Supplements:Omega-3s - 2,000mg x 3 per day, Magnesium glycinate - 200mg, Melatonin - 5mg

3 hours ago, Ozanna said:

Why can't I just go back on full doses of both meds and then start the proper taper off them like I should have to start with now that I know better?  Why is it "too late" to go this route?

Because that would be very risky.  When we go on, off, then back on a drug, there is a risk that our system will not handle the drug as well as it did the first time.  As we go on and off drugs, our nervous systems tend to become destabilized, and hypersensitive.  With kindling, each subsequent withdrawal becomes longer and more severe.  Often people who are kindled take years to recover. You can read about this here: 

Kindling

Stories of People Who Kindled But Recovered

My provider thinks the solution to my anxiety and insomnia is to put me back on the doses of the meds I just came off of.  She says if they were working for me before, then they will work for me again.  

I understand there is a risk of kindling if I reinstate.  But is there also a chance of it working?  And then this nightmare could be over?  Instead of me going through months or years of unnecessary suffering?  

2013 - 50mg Zoloft

I cannot predict the future. All I can say is that it would be risky. Doctors solution is almost always to put people back on drugs.  Please read some of the kindling stories in the links I gave you. 

• Administrator
On 8/4/2022 at 5:55 AM, Ozanna said:

I only woke up once last night!  That's the first time I've slept through the night in 3 weeks!  My brain/body is remembering how to sleep!  I'm so happy I'm healing!  

5 hours ago, Ozanna said:

I experienced my first window this week, since my withdrawal started 3 weeks ago, but it only lasted 2 days.  I got one night of sleep after 3 weeks of insomnia and was feeling hopeful.  Then, the insomnia came back.  

Ozanna, it looks like you're stabilizing, but still going through the classic windows and waves. 

1 hour ago, Ozanna said:

My provider thinks the solution to my anxiety and insomnia is to put me back on the doses of the meds I just came off of.  She says if they were working for me before, then they will work for me again. 

Sounds like she thinks you have a "relapse," but do you think that's true? If you feel that your symptoms are withdrawal, I would take her advice with a lot of skepticism. 

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

1 hour ago, Ozanna said:

I understand there is a risk of kindling if I reinstate.  But is there also a chance of it working?  And then this nightmare could be over?  Instead of me going through months or years of unnecessary suffering?  

As @getofflex wrote, it would be risky. 

Not only is kindling a potential problem, but it's best to only make one change at a time.

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

It takes about 4 days for your nervous system to register a change and it can take a few weeks for your mind/body to acclimate to the change. It's only been 10 days since your last Zoloft dose change and in that time, you've already seen some window activity. That's a great sign of resiliency. 

I know you're struggling a lot right now, but I would continue holding at this same dose for a couple of weeks and see how you're doing.

Please find some relaxing non-drug coping skills to help you cope with insomnia:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

What time of the day do you take your Zoloft? Are you taking any supplements? If so, please list them. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@ShepWhat time of the day do you take your Zoloft? Are you taking any supplements? If so, please list them. 

I take my Zoloft at 8am in the morning.  I just added my supplements to my signature.

I've spent the last two days in bed reading the stories of SA members for many hours straight.  I probably overdid it, but I'm just trying to educate myself so I can know what to expect.  It seems most members who are in the boat I'm in (doctor guided rapid taper) suffer for many months or even years before coming out on the other side.  I don't know if I have the strength to survive this torture for that long.  

2013 - 50mg Zoloft

• Administrator

@Ozanna Thanks for listing your supplements. 5 mg of melatonin is a lot. Please see:

Melatonin for sleep

You may be getting a paradoxical reaction from that much melatonin. Please read over the first post in that link and let us know your thoughts. Do you think it would help to reduce it? How long have you been taking it?

3 minutes ago, Ozanna said:

I take my Zoloft at 8am in the morning.

Morning is a good time to take Zoloft. What time(s) of the day are you taking your supplements? 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@ShepI added the supplements a week ago (didn't write down the dates).  I could try a lower dose of the melatonin.  I was using hydroxizine sporadically to catch some sleep at first, but then I eliminated that and switched to melatonin instead.  I feel the melatonin has helped better than the hydroxizine was, and it doesn't give me the lingering grogginess in the morning that hydroxizine did.  

I take the Magnesium about one hour before bed.  And I take the Omegas spread out morning, afternoon, and evening.

2013 - 50mg Zoloft

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Ozanna said:

I take the Magnesium about one hour before bed.  And I take the Omegas spread out morning, afternoon, and evening.

Do you take the melatonin at the same time as the magnesium? If so, that could make any paradoxical reactions worse - the more you dampen down the brain with sedating drugs or supplements, the more it fights to stay alert. This is the paradoxical reaction. 

13 hours ago, Ozanna said:

I could try a lower dose of the melatonin.  I was using hydroxizine sporadically to catch some sleep at first, but then I eliminated that and switched to melatonin instead.

That was smart. Melatonin is safer for folks going through withdrawal.

Yes, try reducing the melatonin and see how you. Since you only started it a week ago, you could reduce to 0.5 mg. With melatonin, less is more. 

17 hours ago, getofflex said:

Because that would be very risky.  When we go on, off, then back on a drug, there is a risk that our system will not handle the drug as well as it did the first time.  As we go on and off drugs, our nervous systems tend to become destabilized, and hypersensitive.  With kindling, each subsequent withdrawal becomes longer and more severe.  Often people who are kindled take years to recover. 

So basically you're telling me I'm *****?  I have no hope?  My only option is to endure this torture for what could take months or years?  

2013 - 50mg Zoloft

• Administrator

@Ozanna Please see my last post on lowering the melatonin. No one is saying you have no hope. It may take some time and yes, it may be several months for the damage to work its way out, but right now, minimizing your symptoms by tweaking your supplements is a good first start. 

By giving you information on kindling, we're trying to keep you from making this worse than it already it is. Right now, you don't know what your baseline is because of the recent trial with hydroxizine and then bringing in a lot of supplements in at one time. Your nervous system needs time to rest. 

Many of us go through an anger and a grieving period to deal with this. Here is some information that can help in processing this in a healthy way by avoiding going into emotional spirals. It's okay to be angry and to grieve, but it's also important to bring hope into the equation. To not acknowledge hope is to discredit the many success stories that are out there. 

Acceptance and Hope

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

"Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms

The more you practice techniques like "change the channel," the easier it is to get through these horrific symptoms. It does get better. 

This is the hardest thing that many of us go through, but knowing others are going through it with you and that there are many success stories gives us all hope for recovery. 

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal

• Mentor

Ozanna, to build on Shep's last post, I was once very much in the same place you were.  Although I had brief windows, I didn't seem to be making much progress.  It seemed like others were steadily improving while I was stuck.  It took a change in mindset to help me recover.  I decided I needed to stop asking why this was happening to me, and focus my mental and emotional energy on developing the thoughts and behaviors that would support recovery.  Its natural to wonder "why" and look for clear solutions, but sometimes we have to accept our brains are wired a certain way.  That doesn't mean we're doomed to suffer forever.  It just means we need to work on recovery and managing our thoughts.  For me, it was practicing CBT/ERP.  It wasn't easy and it took time, but just like anything else, the more you practice the better you get at  it.  Don't give up hope.  You can recover.

Tim C

8 hours ago, Shep said:

Do you take the melatonin at the same time as the magnesium? If so, that could make any paradoxical reactions worse - the more you dampen down the brain with sedating drugs or supplements, the more it fights to stay alert. This is the paradoxical reaction. 

@Shepwhen should I take the Magnesium instead?  I usually take it one hour before bed and then the melatonin 30 minutes before bed.  I'm thinking of cutting the melatonin out.  I don't have any problem falling asleep.  My problem is that I wake up every hour or so and then have to try to fall back to sleep all over again numerous times throughout the night.

2013 - 50mg Zoloft