AmitV: Escitalopram Withdrawal - Anxiety, Chronic Dizziness & High Heart Rates

AmitV

Hello I randomly got 4 panic attacks in Dec 2022 after a bad year at work.

My Provider started me on 2mg Ativan a day on Jan 1st 2023 and 10mg Trintellix, he later increased Trintellix to 20mg after 10 days. On the 12th day I got intense dizziness, I ended up in the ER. 

my provider switched to escitalopram 5mg on Jan 14 and lowered Ativan to 1mg/day. Dizziness/photophobia came down a bit, then he upped my escitalopram dosage from 5mg to 10mg. Dizziness/photophobia stayed and didn’t go away. I kept taking it for another 2.5 weeks. During this time reduced Ativan to 0.5mg for 5 days and then 0.5 every other day for a week and over. 

Then on Feb 05 we reduced escitalopram to 5mg and then 5mg every other day. I took my last dose on Feb 14. I had no withdrawal symptoms for about 5-6 days. Dizziness started going down quite a bit after 2 days, by day 6 it was down quite a bit, almost over. 

On Feb 22 withdrawals began! At First high resting HR of 100+ for 4 days along with insomnia, then insomnia stopped and high heart rates came randomly. I got vivid dreams, clogged ears, tinnitus, sweating, fatigue, suicidal tendencies all came and went but dizziness, anxiety and random high HR did not change at all. It’s been 3.5 weeks since I stopped escitalopram I’m stuck at a dizziness of 6/10. I cannot drive and haven’t been to work in 2 months. I cannot function properly or be independent. 

my doctor gave me propranolol for high HR and anxiety. I took 20mg this morning, at first I got weakness and fatigue for 20 mins. Then everything got better, anxiety went down, HR got better and relaxed, then even dizziness went down. I felt better, more positive, not depressed, went for a short drive after 2.5 months with blue light cutting glasses and brown tint sunglasses (these help with photophobia).

Propranolol has a half life of 3-6 hours. After 7 hours dizziness and photophobia came back. I took another 10mg as my provider suggested since I got some side effects from 20mg. No difference with 10mg. I will try 20mg again tomorrow morning. 

I’m here looking to seek support in case anyone else has experienced this or is experiencing this and how did they overcome it.

Edited by manymoretodays
name to title only

Jan 1-15 2023 - Ativan 2mg

Jan 1-12 2023 - Trintellix 10mg

Jan 14-16 2023 - Escitalopram 5mg

Jan 15-Jan 20 2023 - Ativan 1mg

Jan 21-30 2023 - Ativan 0.5mg Slow taper down - 5 days 0.5mg once a day. Then 0.5 mg every other day for 3 doses.

Jan 17- Feb 04 2023 - Escitalopram 10mg

Feb 05-14 2023 - 5mg for 5 days, then 2.5mg for 4 days. Feb 15 - Zero Mg Escitalopram

Mar 11, 2023 - Propranolol 20mg

• manymoretodays changed the title to AmitV: Escitalopram Withdrawal - Anxiety, Chronic Dizziness & High Heart Rates
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, AmitV.  Thanks for completing your signature.

A person is at risk of withdrawal from an antidepressant like Escitalopram after one month of usage and at risk of dependency on a  benzodiazepine like Ativan after two weeks of regular usage.  You were on the Escitalopram for a month and the Ativan also for a  month, so your withdrawal symptoms could stem from your fast taper of either or both.  

We recommend tapering psychiatric drugs no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Here's some information on psychiatric drug withdrawal, so you'll have a better idea of what you're experiencing.  

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Reinstatement of a very small percentage of your last dose is the only known way to mitigate withdrawal symptoms.  The alternative is to wait it out.  Benzo reinstatements after 2 - 4 weeks from your jump date can be very risky, so I wouldn't recommend a reinstatement of Ativan.  There's the option of reinstating a very small dose of Escitalopram, which is best done within 3 months of your last dose, but there's no way to know whether your symptoms stem in whole or part from the Escitalopram rather than the Ativan.  It might help or it might not.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Let us know if you're interested in an Escitalopram reinstatement.  Please don't reinstate without giving us a chance to recommend a dose. Taking too much can ovewheIm your nervous system.  I would stay away from Ativan.

We don't recommend other drugs to deal with withdrawal.  Your system is sensitized from the fast taper of your two drugs, and there's no way to predict how the introduction of a new drug will affect you.  If you want to continue with the propranolol, that would be between you and your doctor.  If you continue using it, it should be tapered.  The following link contains valuable information about propranolol.

Tips for tapering off propranolol

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. 

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

1 hour ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, AmitV.  Thanks for completing your signature.

A person is at risk of withdrawal from an antidepressant like Escitalopram after one month of usage and at risk of dependency on a  benzodiazepine like Ativan after two weeks of regular usage.  You were on the Escitalopram for a month and the Ativan also for a  month, so your withdrawal symptoms could stem from your fast taper of either or both.  

We recommend tapering psychiatric drugs no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Here's some information on psychiatric drug withdrawal, so you'll have a better idea of what you're experiencing.  

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Reinstatement of a very small percentage of your last dose is the only known way to mitigate withdrawal symptoms.  The alternative is to wait it out.  Benzo reinstatements after 2 - 4 weeks from your jump date can be very risky, so I wouldn't recommend a reinstatement of Ativan.  There's the option of reinstating a very small dose of Escitalopram, which is best done within 3 months of your last dose, but there's no way to know whether your symptoms stem in whole or part from the Escitalopram rather than the Ativan.  It might help or it might not.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Let us know if you're interested in an Escitalopram reinstatement.  Please don't reinstate without giving us a chance to recommend a dose. Taking too much can ovewheIm your nervous system.  I would stay away from Ativan.

We don't recommend other drugs to deal with withdrawal.  Your system is sensitized from the fast taper of your two drugs, and there's no way to predict how the introduction of a new drug will affect you.  If you want to continue with the propranolol, that would be between you and your doctor.  If you continue using it, it should be tapered.  The following link contains valuable information about propranolol.

Tips for tapering off propranolol

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. 

Hello Gridley,

Yes please provide me with a recommendation for a slow taper. My last dose was 2.5mg escitalopram. My GP said since I had only taken SSRI for 4-5 weeks. I can easily come off quickly. I was on 10mg of escitalopram, then I came down to 5mg for 4 days, then 2.5mg for 4 days. I am very scared of it because SSRI started my dizziness on day 10 of taking Trintellix. So keeping the last dose in mind, please recommend micro-doses only. 

I was still on the 2mg Ativan at the time and hadn’t begun the taper. Since my dizziness came down for 4-5 days after I stopped escitalopram, before it went up again I strongly feel SSRI is the culprit.

I have already messaged my doctor regarding propranolol, it is making me feel like I’m going to pass out with only a 10mg dose. So chances are I won't be able to take it anymore. I've taken it for 3 days, I imagine it will be easier to taper it off.

I also have been prescribed CBD for anxiety. However, so far I have not taken it all. I don’t know what to expect from it. Has anyone had any success with it during withdrawals?

The most important question in my mind is, SSRI's started my dizziness on Day 10 of taking and then it kept continuing. Is this something people experience?

thank you so much for writing back to me.

Jan 21-30 2023 - Ativan 0.5mg Slow taper down - 5 days 0.5mg once a day. Then 0.5 mg every other day for 3 doses.

Feb 05-14 2023 - 5mg for 5 days, then 2.5mg for 4 days. Feb 15 - Zero Mg Escitalopram

• Moderator Emeritus
41 minutes ago, AmitV said:

I was on 10mg of escitalopram, then I came down to 5mg for 4 days, then 2.5mg for 4 days.

I need more information and clarity in your signature before I can make any recommendations.  Please put dates and doses for the above information into your signature.

Are you at zero Escitalopram now?  If so, put the date you went to zero in your signature.  Be sure your signature contains the date and dose of the last dose before you went to zero.

If you are still taking Escitalopram, indicate the dosage in your signature and how long you've been on that dose.

Yes please provide me with a recommendation for a slow taper.

I think you're talking about a reinstatement (reintroduction of a very small amount of Escitalopram), not a taper (slow reduction in dose to stop taking a drug).  Is that correct?  If you want a reinstatement, I need the information above in your signature.

Since my dizziness came down for 4-5 days after I stopped escitalopram, before it went up again I strongly feel SSRI is the culprit.

Dizziness is a common side effect of Escitalopram.  The purpose of a reinstatement is to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  Side effects are caused by being on the drug.  Withdrawal symptoms are caused by being off the drug.  If the dizziness was worse than the withdrawal you're feeling now, you might not want to reinstate.  Which was/is worse?

I've taken it for 3 days, I imagine it will be easier to taper it off.

If you've only taken it for 3 days, you can just stop.

SSRI's started my dizziness on Day 10 of taking and then it kept continuing.

Are you still experiencing dizziness?  What are your current symptoms?

I also have been prescribed CBD for anxiety.

We don't recommend CBD or any other substance that affects the nervous system for people in withdrawal.  When you are in withdrawal, your nervous system is very sensitized and there's no way to know how it will effect you.  The following link about SAM-e applies also to CBD.

SAM-e (S-adenosyl-L-methionine)

Once you've answered my questions and updated your signature, we'll be in a better position to make suggestions.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

43 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I need more information and clarity in your signature before I can make any recommendations.  Please put dates and doses for the above information into your signature.

I will attempt to best update it. I tried to include this info, but signatures unfortunately aren't allowed to exceed 12 lines. The system didn't let me include more info. I will try again though.

Are you at zero Escitalopram now?  If so, put the date you went to zero in your signature.  Be sure your signature contains the date and dose of the last dose before you went to zero.

Yes, I am at zero. Last dose Feb 14, 2.5 mg. I will update the signature.

If you are still taking Escitalopram, indicate the dosage in your signature and how long you've been on that dose.

I think you're talking about a reinstatement (reintroduction of a very small amount of Escitalopram), not a taper (slow reduction in dose to stop taking a drug).  Is that correct?  If you want a reinstatement, I need the information above in your signature.

Correct, I am thinking of reinstatement. But I'm not sure if it's the right path, since I've been on withdrawals for the past 3.5 weeks. Not sure if I should restart the cycle.

Dizziness is a common side effect of Escitalopram.  The purpose of a reinstatement is to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  Side effects are caused by being on the drug.  Withdrawal symptoms are caused by being off the drug.  If the dizziness was worse than the withdrawal you're feeling now, you might not want to reinstate.  Which was/is worse?

Both sides of the dizziness are the same.

The extremely debilitating dizziness began on Days 10-12 of taking SSRI when my GP upped the original Trintellix 10mg dose to 20mg. That gave my system a shock and intense dizziness began from there. Then we switched to escitalopram, and the dizziness was better but was still debilitating enough that I couldn't function (go to work, drive, and perform simple daily tasks without assistance).

Eventually, after another 3 weeks of being dizzy on escitalopram, I asked my GP to provide me with a safe taper to stop escitalopram, because being on SSRI was far more traumatic than my original condition of anxiety and a few panic attacks. I could still drive at the time, work from home, and perform practically every task. The taper schedule I mentioned was provided by my GP. Except I added 4 days of 2.5mg myself.

Last dose Feb 14. The dizziness persisted for 2 days after then. On Feb 16, I saw windows of dizziness fading away 3-4 times. Feb 17, The windows became longer. Feb 18, windows became even longer. On Feb 19, practically most of the day I had very little dizziness. I was able to function again, drive, and felt independent.

On Feb 20, I got hit by insomnia, High HR and dizziness began coming back (windows got shorter and shorter). By Feb 26 debilitating dizziness had returned full-time.

Since then I've been dizzy full-time, It's stuck at a 7/10. However, on March 10 I saw a short window of less dizziness (2hrs). March 11 I saw another longer window (5 hrs). March 12 (today) dizzy all day.

So, should I really look at reinstatement? I'm actually not sure. I'm at 3 weeks of withdrawals that began on Feb 20. I've been through many of them, too many to list except for headache and nausea, but one by one they have passed. Present withdrawals that I am experiencing for the past 5 days are anxiety (under control with propranolol), random high HR (which has been under control with propranolol), and suicidal ideations. Dizziness remains a constant.

If you've only taken it for 3 days, you can just stop.

Okay perfect.

Are you still experiencing dizziness?  What are your current symptoms?

Yes. 

Moving my head from side to side makes it worse. It's like the brain can't catch up to what the eyes are seeing. Everything leaves a bit of a trail. It's harder indoors because of closer objects.

I also have photophobia as part of my dizziness, Bright light is intolerable, blue light-cutting glasses help a little, and I mostly wear sunglasses indoors. 

I have to walk and turn very slowly.

I have tried dimenhydrinate and betahiste. Both make it worse. This is part of the problem, there is no way to get relief from it. Unlike symptoms such as headache or nausea, where there are simple medications that can help. No remedies that I have tried make it better.

We don't recommend CBD or any other substance that affects the nervous system for people in withdrawal.  When you are in withdrawal, your nervous system is very sensitized and there's no way to know how it will effect you.  The following link about SAM-e applies also to CBD.

Great. Thanks for this info. I'm glad I didn't have to try to find out. There isn't much info on this anywhere.

SAM-e (S-adenosyl-L-methionine)

Once you've answered my questions and updated your signature, we'll be in a better position to make suggestions.

I will attempt to update it with the 12-line limitation.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, AmitV said:

I am thinking of reinstatement. But I'm not sure if it's the right path, since I've been on withdrawals for the past 3.5 weeks. Not sure if I should restart the cycle.

That is the question.  You had dizziness as a side effect when you were on the drug and dizziness as withdrawal when you stopped.  Both were severe.  If you don't reinstate the drug, your WD symptoms will eventually go away but there's no way to know how long that will take.  If you do reinstate, there's a chance you will get some relief from the dizziness and also your other withdrawal symptoms, but there's also the chance that the reinstatement won't work (it doesn't always work) and that it will exacerbate tour current dizziness.  Side effects do generally go down as dosage goes down, and the reinstatement dosage I'd recommend would be very small.

If you do decide to reinstate, I'd recommend .5mg (1/2mg).  We recommend a very small percentage of the last dose you were on, in your case 2.5mg, last dose being Feb. 14, around 30 days ago.  We reason we recommend a very small dose is that (1) your system is very sensitized from the side effects and withdrawal and (2) in the 30 days since you've been off the drug your brain and nervous system have made some adjustments to being off the drug (i.e., returning back to their normal function after being changed by the drug), and reinstating too much can overwhelm the system.  If that happens, it can take a long time to recover.

I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you've been cutting pills to get your smaller doses.  This is fine but it will not be possible to do this accurately and consistently to get a dose of .5mg.  The smallest Escitalopram tablet is 5mg, and there's no way to dependably cut that into 10 equal pieces.   Getting accurate and consistent doses is very important; small changes in doses from day to day can be destabilizing. 

There are several ways to get a .5mg dose, and these are explained in the link below.  Two require a doctor's cooperation in the form of a prescription: using a compounding pharmacy and using prescription liquid.  The advantage of these is that the methods are easy and accurate; the disadvantages are having to deal with the doctor and, in the case of using a compounding pharmacy, the expense.  Two methods you can do on your owner: making your own liquid from pills and using a digital scale, such as the Smart Weigh scale to weigh powder made from your pills.  Smart Weigh GEM20-20g x 0.001 grams, High …

Here's the link that explains how to get the dose you'd need for a reinstatement:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Please give it some thought and ket us know what you decide to do.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

39 minutes ago, Gridley said:

That is the question.  You had dizziness as a side effect when you were on the drug and dizziness as withdrawal when you stopped.  Both were severe.  If you don't reinstate the drug, your WD symptoms will eventually go away but there's no way to know how long that will take.  If you do reinstate, there's a chance you will get some relief from the dizziness and also your other withdrawal symptoms, but there's also the chance that the reinstatement won't work (it doesn't always work) and that it will exacerbate tour current dizziness.  Side effects do generally go down as dosage goes down, and the reinstatement dosage I'd recommend would be very small.

If you do decide to reinstate, I'd recommend .5mg (1/2mg).  We recommend a very small percentage of the last dose you were on, in your case 2.5mg, last dose being Feb. 14, around 30 days ago.  We reason we recommend a very small dose is that (1) your system is very sensitized from the side effects and withdrawal and (2) in the 30 days since you've been off the drug your brain and nervous system have made some adjustments to being off the drug (i.e., returning back to their normal function after being changed by the drug), and reinstating too much can overwhelm the system.  If that happens, it can take a long time to recover.

I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you've been cutting pills to get your smaller doses.  This is fine but it will not be possible to do this accurately and consistently to get a dose of .5mg.  The smallest Escitalopram tablet is 5mg, and there's no way to dependably cut that into 10 equal pieces.   Getting accurate and consistent doses is very important; small changes in doses from day to day can be destabilizing. 

There are several ways to get a .5mg dose, and these are explained in the link below.  Two require a doctor's cooperation in the form of a prescription: using a compounding pharmacy and using prescription liquid.  The advantage of these is that the methods are easy and accurate; the disadvantages are having to deal with the doctor and, in the case of using a compounding pharmacy, the expense.  Two methods you can do on your owner: making your own liquid from pills and using a digital scale, such as the Smart Weigh scale to weigh powder made from your pills.  Smart Weigh GEM20-20g x 0.001 grams, High …

Here's the link that explains how to get the dose you'd need for a reinstatement:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Please give it some thought and ket us know what you decide to do.

Hello Gridley,

0.5mg is a worthy option. I’m sure my doctor will be able to give me a prescription liquid so I can take adequate measurements. He’s been very cooperative like that. His knowledge with SSRI tapering is unfortunate lacking, we went up too fast on dosages and came down too fast.

I will discuss this with him to begin starting Thursday this week. Why Thursday matters. This dizziness has all of us perplexed, even though I’m absolutely convinced SSRI is the culprit. I did a holter exam for dysautonomia on Thursday last week and results should be in by Wednesday. I also have a brain MRI today that should help rule out any other causes. Once again results will be in my Wednesday. 

Important question: To my understanding, reversal of withdrawals is usually very quick with reinstitution of SSRI. How quick is this in your experience?

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, AmitV said:

To my understanding, reversal of withdrawals is usually very quick with reinstitution of SSRI. How quick is this in your experience?

It might be felt within the same day but often it takes longer.  It takes about 4 days for the reinstated dose to reach full strength in your blood stream and a few days more for it to register in the brain.  So look at 7 to 10 days.  It's a good idea to take notes to keep track of your daily progress.

If symptoms become worse after the reinstatement, stop the reinstatement immediately.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

9 minutes ago, Gridley said:

It might be felt within the same day but often it takes longer.  It takes about 4 days for the reinstated dose to reach full strength in your blood stream and a few days more for it to register in the brain.  So look at 7 to 10 days.  It's a good idea to take notes to keep track of your daily progress.

If symptoms become worse after the reinstatement, stop the reinstatement immediately.

Gridley,

That makes sense. Thank you so much for your advice. I wish I had reached out earlier and gotten this advice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @AmitV sorry you are dealing with this. Have you reinstated? Reinstating helped me with the desperation and suicidal thoughts. I had debilitating nausea and dizziness as well. That got better slowly. I reinstated too high but had not found this site yet unfortunately. I was on Paroxetine for 20 years so you are in a good position to minimize damage. These drugs are easy for doctors to give out without investigating the real issues. These moderators are a real blessing. Keep communicating with them. 

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg/28.4.24-4.4mg/

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

6 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

Hi @AmitV sorry you are dealing with this. Have you reinstated? Reinstating helped me with the desperation and suicidal thoughts. I had debilitating nausea and dizziness as well. That got better slowly. I reinstated too high but had not found this site yet unfortunately. I was on Paroxetine for 20 years so you are in a good position to minimize damage. These drugs are easy for doctors to give out without investigating the real issues. These moderators are a real blessing. Keep communicating with them. 

I haven’t reinstated, no. Since I took it for only 6 weeks, and been off 5 weeks now, figured may as well give it another 2-3 weeks prior to considering reinstating. Yes I do feel horrible, even 2-3 weeks can seem like a lifetime when I get caught in the wave of suicidal thoughts.

At this point I have waves of suicidal ideations (one moment I feel good that it’s going to get better and another moment I want to just be done), dizziness and vertigo is the worst and has taken everything from my life. Haven’t been to work in 3 months. Can barely do much, I go out for walks and travel by public transit, but the fatigue eventually catches up. Dizziness and fatigue together are a terrible combo.

Just this week things have gotten a bit better with dizziness, again comes and goes in waves. I’ve been able to watch some TV. 

Blue light blocking glasses have helped me a bit indoors.

Im really trying to ride it out while my GP still refuses to believe that starting me on 10mg and tapering up to 20mg in a week was a terrible idea and then tapering down with 3 doses was an equally horrible idea. So of course no support from his end on this. He’s been very helpful in getting a ton of diagnostics organized for dizziness/vertigo, which helps just in case I’m hopelessly waiting for something to fix that wouldn’t itself. 

If you ever want to talk I’ll leave you my number in private chat. 

@AmitVthe GPs here are a joke... definitely they hand this stuff out like candy and have no idea the damage. Your GP should not have increased the dose nor advised the quick taper. All your tests will be normal I am sure. You have to make sure you stay under the 3 months if you are going to reinstate. I know it's insane and not fair but these drugs don't work reasonably. A few weeks on does not mean a few weeks of withdrawal. The fact you are experiencing this shows your CNS has been negatively affected and it will take some time. I can't watch tv, reading can be a challenge but has gotten better. I do the slow daily walk as well. I am trying to move slowly even when I am feeling good because it affects me negatively later. I struggle to talk on the phone. I end up pacing...akathisia. Sucks. On a side note, I used to live in Calgary for 20 years. Love Canmore and that side of the Rockies.

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg/28.4.24-4.4mg/

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

1 minute ago, LostInCanada said:

@AmitVthe GPs here are a joke... definitely they hand this stuff out like candy and have no idea the damage. Your GP should not have increased the dose nor advised the quick taper. All your tests will be normal I am sure. You have to make sure you stay under the 3 months if you are going to reinstate. I know it's insane and not fair but these drugs don't work reasonably. A few weeks on does not mean a few weeks of withdrawal. The fact you are experiencing this shows your CNS has been negatively affected and it will take some time. I can't watch tv, reading can be a challenge but has gotten better. I do the slow daily walk as well. I am trying to move slowly even when I am feeling good because it affects me negatively later. I struggle to talk on the phone. I end up pacing...akathisia. Sucks. On a side note, I used to live in Calgary for 20 years. Love Canmore and that side of the Rockies.

I know the GP made a mess and ALL my tests came back normal. Bloodworks, MRI, Holter, Neuro, etc etc. 

Once this blows over or you feel comfortable to travel, we’d be happy to have you and your hubby to come stay with us and spend time with us in Canmore. 

I originally grew up in India and have been in Canada 15 years, I reached out to a family member in India who is a psychiatrist and runs a rehab center. He was so mad at me for tapering up quickly and tapering off fast. Too bad I should’ve reached out to him  earlier before I even began. He mentioned one very important thing, “SLEEP” the more you sleep the better you will get faster, give your nervous system time to heal. His recommendation was 2 gravols a night, he said I might build tolerance in time but it’s safe to keep taking it. Fortunately, I only took it for 4 nights before propranolol did the trick for me. He also mentioned, to “RELAX” and baby yourself, even when you feel better, just take it easy. It’s easy to try and do something or accomplish something when you feel better.

Definitely try blue light blocking glasses, they helped with the visual distortion and tremors and I could read and I batted my eyes much less.

Thank you so much. You are so kind. I can't believe that we all tried to do the right thing and listen to our doctors. My GP made me go back to the psychiatrist that caused this mess for me. He would not believe it was protracted withdrawal. So I went back, recorded the conversation and even in my very messed up state at the time, I was able to get her to admit the taper should have been slower and I was still in "serotonin withdrawal". Finally with her notes, my GP believed that this wasn't a relapse. But the damage is done and now I tell him what the moderators tell me I need to do and he is supportive. 

Where did you get your blue light blocking glasses? I think this is a good idea.

I have black out blinds and have been using a red night light. Due to the dizziness I find complete blackness can make me nauseous. 

Did your friend have any suggestions about reinstating or the 3 month time frame? 

2 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

Thank you so much. You are so kind. I can't believe that we all tried to do the right thing and listen to our doctors. My GP made me go back to the psychiatrist that caused this mess for me. He would not believe it was protracted withdrawal. So I went back, recorded the conversation and even in my very messed up state at the time, I was able to get her to admit the taper should have been slower and I was still in "serotonin withdrawal". Finally with her notes, my GP believed that this wasn't a relapse. But the damage is done and now I tell him what the moderators tell me I need to do and he is supportive. 

Where did you get your blue light blocking glasses? I think this is a good idea.

I have black out blinds and have been using a red night light. Due to the dizziness I find complete blackness can make me nauseous. 

Did your friend have any suggestions about reinstating or the 3 month time frame? 

I got the glasses from Amazon $20. 

For me my friend said to just wait it out for now, since I only took it for 6 weeks. Until we get to 8-9 weeks of withdrawls then we will re-evaluate based on symptoms. So I think he has the same idea to see if a reinstatement should be made or not in under 3 months. 

same here I keep YouTube piano music video on at night on my phone. Just a little bit of light and relaxing piano music. I turn down the phone brightness.

My HR is very low...usually around 60. Thanks... I am going to order some...got to get off the device for the night lol.

11 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

My HR is very low...usually around 60. Thanks... I am going to order some...got to get off the device for the night lol.

that’s a good thing. Sleep well, tomorrow is another day. 

• 2 weeks later...

How have you been doing,? Any improvements?

28 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

How have you been doing,? Any improvements?

Some improvement for sure after starting coenzyme q10, vitamin b2 in the morning and 200mg magnesium at night. 

valproic acid 150mg twice a day. 

L-Theanine 120mg twice a day.

Yogi brand calming skull cap tea - twice a day.

At first I though magnesium was making it worse, but I really wasn’t. I just take it at night before bed. I started with 50mg and slowly graduated to 200mg.

I had a neurovestibular assesment and I have otolithic dysfunction causing the swaying, bobbyness, whoosh feelings. Will be beginning the vestibular rehabilitation for that. I’m told it may be caused by a vascular attack in the inner ear that was triggered by SSRI withdrawal. 

Glad you are getting answers and working it out.👍

Valproic acid is a scary one. Really read up on it and it also has a black box warning. Lots of contraindications as well. 

11 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

Valproic acid is a scary one. Really read up on it and it also has a black box warning. Lots of contraindications as well. 

It was suggested in a very low dose by neurologist as a vestibular migraine preventative. I’m currently admitted in the hospital so I have to accept some things that they’re attempting to use as tools to rule out certain conditions.

Withdrawls is one thing and you are correct about withdrawls. I agree this is part of withdrawls. But it’s a condition that has been triggered by withdrawls. Unlike others I don’t have the option of reinstatement on SSRI, as I had paradoxical effects from it and it started my dizziness. So that isn’t really an option that I have. 

So sorry you are having to deal with all this.

2 hours ago, LostInCanada said:

I know my dear. Doctors just don’t believe that my withdrawals are that long since I only took the SSRI for 6 weeks. 

At the same time I have an inner ear impairment that showed up on the neuro vestibular assessment. So I’m doing vestibular rehabilitation now.

I posted this under the journal section but just thought it would be of interest to you since you are in Alberta. I did not know your doctors thought this but that is no surprise...they make kick backs from prescriptions so how could we ever get a pure and honest diagnosis. They just believe what the drug companies tell them, it is what lines their pockets. Hope the rehab helps. 👍

25 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

I posted this under the journal section but just thought it would be of interest to you since you are in Alberta. I did not know your doctors thought this but that is no surprise...they make kick backs from prescriptions so how could we ever get a pure and honest diagnosis. They just believe what the drug companies tell them, it is what lines their pockets. Hope the rehab helps. 👍

Oh I know. They don’t care. But quite frankly at this point what can I do. I can’t go back on SSRI’s, so I listen to some extent. Always start with a super low dose of medication. I’m only taking one right now as vestibular migraine preventative. Everything else is either supplement such as magnesium and coenzyme q10. And I’m doing vestibular therapy, which I have to do twice a day at home. 

do you feel the swaying, rocking, bobbing sensations even walking? You feel like if you turn your head you keep moving in the same direction? Or when the car stops, you keep moving forward for a short period?

@AmitVmy whole time on paxil I have had dizziness in small and great amounts... sitting at the table and the next thing I know I am clutching the table because I am falling. It is one of the main side effects of these drugs and also of withdrawal. I never realized it was the drug till withdrawal.

6 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

@AmitVmy whole time on paxil I have had dizziness in small and great amounts... sitting at the table and the next thing I know I am clutching the table because I am falling. It is one of the main side effects of these drugs and also of withdrawal. I never realized it was the drug till withdrawal.

Fair point. I’m better off without it. It was horrible when I was on it. I could only make sense of it all after my doctor took me off Ativan. Until then my doc was just chalking it off to Ativan. Had I not taken the Ativan, I would’ve just taken SSRI for 10 days until dizziness began and would’ve stopped.

Ativan messes up decision making capabilities. he put me on 2mg a day, when I would’ve been just fine on a 0.5mg a day. He loaded me up on absolutely no reason.

Now that I’ve seen an actual psychiatrist at the hospital every day. She made it clear, SSRI’s don’t work for everyone, the first 2 weeks should be the lowest possible dose to monitor for side effects, paradoxical and adverse reactions. Of course my doc still doesn’t believe it.

I just hope you can bounce back sooner that later.

2 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

I just hope you can bounce back sooner that later.

i can tell it’s going to be some time. I have brain fog too! (Mental confusion/forgetfulness/inability to concentrate). It’s just as bad as the vertigo.

i also bat my eyes quite a lot, not sure if it’s because of vertigo, but I’m definitely more sensitive to light.

• 1 month later...

@AmitV just read your post on someone else's thread. Sorry to hear that things are still so bad. I have been in a wave again, still... it's all a blur tbh. I am glad you got on disability. These drugs ... It's heartbreaking. My hubby is still off work helping me...his EI ran out ... No benefits... And the drugs companies make billions...the thought of healing keeps me going...you will heal too. ❤️

35 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

@AmitV just read your post on someone else's thread. Sorry to hear that things are still so bad. I have been in a wave again, still... it's all a blur tbh. I am glad you got on disability. These drugs ... It's heartbreaking. My hubby is still off work helping me...his EI ran out ... No benefits... And the drugs companies make billions...the thought of healing keeps me going...you will heal too. ❤️

Its so intolerable at this point, even though I’ve improved (I know this). But my brain keeps telling me that I’m stuck in this forever. It’s complete agony. 

@AmitV I just keep saying one day closer to complete recovery. We will get there too. 

1 minute ago, LostInCanada said:

@AmitV I just keep saying one day closer to complete recovery. We will get there too. 

i honestly feel I’ve had a neurological injury from SSRI, because while some of my symptoms just don’t go away at all. 

My inner ear dysfunction is permanent. I went for a 2nd round of testing after 4 weeks and the results were exactly the same. Yes vestibular rehab has improved my symptoms, but the electrode testing revealed exactly same results, not 1% difference. 

It’s possible I’ve always had this dysfunction and my brain was adapted and SSRI broke the adaptation. But now I have a visual skew that I’m told is coming from inner ear disorder, everything I look at has a 5deg tilt to it. I don’t know flat feels to walk on or even looks like, which I didn’t have before. I did renovations in my own house last year and eye balled lots of things for flatness and it was almost accurate with the bubble level. Everything in my life is a bit crooked now. 

These SSRI’s are hell on earth!

@AmitV don’t get overly concerned about that test. It is limited, we are so complex and are made to heal and like you mentioned you may have adapted previously. You can adapt again. It’s had to believe how dangerous these drugs are. But others have been worse and have survived and thrived. Just be patient and kind to yourself. ❤️