NeedMoreHope

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi NeedMoreHope,

And thank you for the updates, and getting the changes into your signature.

When was your Covid, wasn't that back in September?  Do any of your doctors give credence to WD?

I just hate to see you get mired in too many drugs now, although I know you have been really struggling lately.  And okay, good that you held off on the Buspar. 

Anything at all that helps........in the way of non-drug practices?  Do you have support that don't have a prescription pad at all?  Just someone, or people to listen, and offer comfort?  That alone sometimes does wonders.

We do see the WD symptom of neuropathy or neuropathic symptoms frequently:  Paresthesia: pins and needles, numbness, tingling and burning sensations aka neuropathy

Do run an interaction check too, please on the Prozac and Gabapentin.  Drugs.com

And then if you can, copy and paste, or link us to those results.  Thank you.

And don't minimize moderate interactions either, I mean they can be significant, and I would just hate to see you wind up with more adversities, or problems, from drug treatment, then what you are already dealing with in WDsyndrome.

Do please try to separate your interacting drugs by 2 hours please.  As to when you take them.  I think that can sometimes help reduce interactions a bit.

Here's what we've got on tapering Gabapentin too, for reference.  You can also read up about it at Drugs.com too.

Tips for tapering off Neurontin(gabapentin)

And as always, sending hope in bucketfuls, for rapid healing, and comfort.

Please keep us updated too.  Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

It’s great u feel better at low doses of med.!

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Thinking of you and hope you are hanging in there! One thing I have found helpful is tracking my withdrawal symptoms every day over time, to see if they change or lessen with time. You could try doing that. Another thing I have found helpful is paying attention to when good things happen in a day - often even if most of a day is awful or close to unbearably awful, there are one or two hours in the day where I feel ok or at least less awful. I hope you are able to find small windows even within the worst days. Sending love and support ❤️

2005 - Zoloft, 200 mg for childhood anxiety (starting at age 11)

Summer 2015 - Switched to Prozac, 40 mg  

June 2019 - Tapered to 10 mg Prozac, no adverse effects. Held for 1 year. 

June 2020 - Discontinued Prozac. Horrible withdrawal. Did not realize it was withdrawal at first. 

Nov 2020 - Reinstated Prozac 2.5 mg. Still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

May 2021 - Prozac 2.0 mg. Still experiencing symptoms - some symptoms have improved, but situational factors have worsened.

August 12 2021 - Prozac 2.25 mg. Partial reinstatement as symptoms had worsened

June 17 2022 - Prozac 2.0 mg; Sept 13 2022 - Prozac 1.75 mg; Nov 1 2022 - Prozac 1.5 mg; Feb 1 2023 - Prozac 1.25 mg; Apr 1 2023 - Prozac 1.0 mg; June 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.75 mg; Aug 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.5 mg

• Administrator
On 1/15/2021 at 6:32 AM, NeedMoreHope said:

Checking in....   I know I will probably have hell to pay later, but the gabapentin they added seems to be helping the pain and akathesia (and sleep).  I'm going to stay on a fairly low dose (no more than 1200 a day).  The reduction back down to 5 mg of Prozac seems to have helped too.  I'm still miserable, but better.  My sleep has been at least 5 hours the past week - that is great for me.  And the unbearable akathisia is now manageable, although still bad.  I've had a couple hours window from it each day.  My legs are still "popping" and burning and a blood test revealed I have 7 X the inflammation I should, so they are sending me to neurologist just in case there is something related to COVID and my nerves.  Oh, and I didn't take the buspar that they gave me.  So I'm only on the PRozac 5 mg and the added Gabapentin 900-1200/day.   Thank you all for your support.  

How are you doing, @NeedMoreHope? What is your Prozac and gabapentin schedule?

That inflammation does suggest you have residual effects from the covid infection.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

Just checking in.  Wish I had better news, but this past few months have been more hell.  I ended up being treated with lots of steroids for an auto-immune disease they think was brought on by COVID.  Of course, the steroids brought on worse depression and insomnia, so I ended back up in the hospital.  So I was put on 25 mg of Seroquel for sleep, and it does work for that, but I hated to be put on yet another drug and of course I'm having side effects.  So at present I'm back up to 6 mg Prozac, 1200 mg gabapentin, and 25 mg Seroquel.  I am absolutely miserable, but don't know what to do at this point.  Just hoping I can stabliize on this and wont need any more drugs.  I was so close to getting off when I was only on Prozac when all this nerve/immune stuff hit.  It really set me back.  Any hope or advice would sure be appreciated. 

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

Came off cold turkey in Feb 2018, crashed BAD

Over the next year and a half, given one drug after another when nothing would work (can't remember a lot of this): Back on/off Prozac 20 mg several times; Remeron; Lexapro 20 mg (8 months); Elavil; Seroquel; Effexor, Abilify (short time as I had bad reactions)

Added in several BP meds and hormones along the way here too....

For sleep given: Ativan 2 mg/Ambien/Lunesta/Gabapentin/Klonipin  (none helped)

Last combo was to add 5 mg Zyprexa to the 20 mg Prozac - on this for 5 months

Finally had enough in July 2019; cold turkeyd off 5 mg Zyprexa, and then weaned down from 20 mg Prozac to 5 mg ; updosed to 5.25 mg 12/12/2020.  Updosed to 7.5 1/5/2021 - back to 5 mg 1/10/2021 after bad reaction to updose; added 900 mg gabapendtin for nerve pain (thought to be caused by COVID)

2/2/2021 - hospitalized for COVID complications - put on 1200 gabapentin and added 25 Seroquel for sleep (ugh).  Back to Prozac 6 mg. 

11/22/2021 - OFF Seroquel.  Prozac 8 mg.  Gabapentin 800 mg/day. 

5/1/2022 - Prozac 7 mg/day; Gabapentin 650 mg/day

11/14/2022 - Prozac 6 mg/day; Gabapentin 400 mg/day

2/20/2023 - Prozac 5 mg/day; Gabapentin 384 mg/day

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

Well, I've managed to taper down to 10 mg Seraquel (or about that - I'm measuring), and down to 900 mg gabapentin.  I did increase my Prozac a bit to 8 mg. I've been holding steady here for a while.  I'm starting to have some good days finally - had a stretch of about 5 in a row last week!  But I can tell my nervous system is just shot.  Still lots of nerve issues and depression, but overall, I am hoping I'm on an uphill climb.  This is a long and incredibly winding grueling journey for sure.  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

Over the next year and a half, given one drug after another when nothing would work (can't remember a lot of this): Back on/off Prozac 20 mg several times; Remeron; Lexapro 20 mg (8 months); Elavil; Seroquel; Effexor, Abilify (short time as I had bad reactions)

Finally had enough in July 2019; cold turkeyd off 5 mg Zyprexa, and then weaned down from 20 mg Prozac to 5 mg ; updosed to 5.25 mg 12/12/2020.  Updosed to 7.5 1/5/2021 - back to 5 mg 1/10/2021 after bad reaction to updose; added 900 mg gabapendtin for nerve pain (thought to be caused by COVID)

2/2/2021 - hospitalized for COVID complications - put on 1200 gabapentin and added 25 Seroquel for sleep (ugh).  Back to Prozac 6 mg. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in. I'm still holding at 10 mg Seroquel, 900 gabapentin, and 8 mg Prozac.  I actually had a great run of about a week where I felt almost normal, then that went away.  I get a good day here or there.  Still sleeping pretty good for me.  Just so afraid I will never stabilize, but yet don't want to start tapering again for fear of akathesia returning.  It's a hard spot to be.  My main symptoms are still dark depression, fatigue, and a lot of nerve issues.  Can anyone just give me hope that my current hold is the right thing to be doing? My nervous system has been absolutely assaulted the past 3 1/2 yrs, and then my bout with Covid and my hospitalization in January for auto immune issues (where I had lots of steriods given).. sure didn't help.  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I've just been holding and holding. Still at 10 mg Seroquel, 900 gaba, and 8 Prozac.  I have some good days (and occasionally a "really" good day!), but mostly still awful ones.  Depression, "crazy" feeling, crying, etc.  The good news is my sleep - oh my goodness, I am doing 7-8 hours, but I still wake up tired.   Am I going to stabilize if I just keep holding, or do I have to get off these to see any healing?  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Just checking in.  Healing is so slow, but I'm progressing.  I am off the Seroquel now, and at 800 mg gaba and still 8 mg Prozac.  Sleep has been great.  I also had a 2 week timeframe in September that I was normal!   It didn't last, but I've since had some days here and there where I feel like my old self.  Then, back to the hard days.  But I can see healing happening slowly.  I plan to start more tapering of the gabapentin next, and Prozac will be the last.  This is a long road for sure, but progress can be made, even if it's a minute at a time. 

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone, 

Haven't checked in for a few months.  I am still tapering off the last two meds but doing it VERY SLOWLY!  But the good news:  I am starting to have WEEKS where I feel normal again!  So there is HOPE.  I can't say I'm enough to write a success story yet as I still have my bad waves, but I can feel my body and brain getting better and better.  I see vivid colors again, I can sit in peace, I laugh, and I'm starting to be myself again.  I even have moments where I actually feel excitement for the future!   My sleep is good in between taper adjustments.   I am determined to never go up in dose again, and to get off these last two meds, however long it takes me.  I only see my family doctor, who has cooperated with the taper (although she only half believes this was the meds).  This whole process just takes time, which is sheer misery to get through, but we do it.   I'm starting year 5, but I really can't count the first 2 years since I was on the medical merry go round.  I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that you don't count your recovery by days, you count it by the number of calendars you go through.  So everyone hang on - be patient - we will recover!! 

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• Moderator Emeritus
22 minutes ago, NeedMoreHope said:

But the good news:  I am starting to have WEEKS where I feel normal again! 

That is really good to hear.

23 minutes ago, NeedMoreHope said:

I see vivid colors again, I can sit in peace, I laugh, and I'm starting to be myself again.  I even have moments where I actually feel excitement for the future! 

It's amazing how much difference this can make to how we feel.  I can remember, as I was coming out of my numbed state, that I had times when I thought something was funny but could only "laugh on the inside" because I didn't have the energy to laugh normally.

20 minutes ago, NeedMoreHope said:

I can't say I'm enough to write a success story yet

SA does have a criteria for this.  And we really look forward to the time when you get there and can write your success story.  Until then, please continue to update your Intro topic and let us know how you are doing.

From Success story from How to Write Your Success Story:

On 11/17/2012 at 3:24 AM, Altostrata said:

If your withdrawal syndrome is completely resolved -- you've been off ALL drugs for a year -- please open a topic for yourself here

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks!  Yes, I have a ways to go yet before I am drug free.  I am just so happy to see "some" progress after such a long road.  I always feared that I wouldn't heal at all until I was completely off, and getting off sometimes takes years, but I have started to mend while still lowering.  It's funny how grateful I am to be where I am, and if I had never gone through this, I would think what I am now is awful 🙂.  So this for sure has made me appreciate things that I took for granted before. After each bad day (and there were many, many), I always said, well, that's one day I won't ever have to live again, and tomorrow is another chance for something to change.  And it did, it does, and it will!  Thank you all again for your work and sacrifice.  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• Administrator

Please do let us know how you're doing 🙂

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 6 months later...

Hi Just checking in.  Still going day by day, but in the right direction this time!  I'm down to 6 mg of Prozac and 400 mg gaba daily.  I'm having a lot of good windows, but still some waves.  But each window seems better than the last, and some days, ALL symptoms but my tinnitus goes away.  I don't think I've felt  normal in 5 years, so those days are just like heaven.  So time, time, time - and lots of inner strength to keep going the path we know is right when no one else believes us - that's what will ultimately heal us.  Thanks again for this forum/support. 

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Checking In.  I am still tapering slowly but surely.  I am having longer windows of "normalcy" and overall, I can see uphill improvement even though I still have symptoms (mostly depression, insomnia, fatigue, and tinnitus).   Each time I make even a very small cut, I do have some very bad days so it's a slow, slow process with a lot of ups and downs.  I have been battling this for 5 years this weekend.   I am so thankful for this forum.  I read the success stories often - hoping to be one someday!  May the Lord's comfort be with all of you.    

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

Was wondering if anyone would give me a little feedback... I've hit a BAD wave.  I really have not done anything different since the last really small cut of gabapentin.  I was doing so well, then it seems everything came back with a vengeance.  It's making me scared that I will never heal while still on these meds.  But I know not to cold turkey again.  Is it still normal to be doing really good for 6 months, then crash again?  My tired mind keeps going back to maybe I just need to try more meds, but I know better - I tried everything before and they just made it all worse.  Any encouragement or input would sure be appreciated.  I'm just feeling very discouraged. 

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, NeedMoreHope said:

I really have not done anything different since the last really small cut of gabapentin. 

We recommend tapering only only drug at a time.  Otherwise, problems arise--as they have for you--you can't be sure of the cause.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first

Is there a reason why you're tapering both the Prozac and the Gabapentin at the same time?  How is the Gabapentin affecting you?

We recommend tapering activating/stimulating drugs (known as accelerators) first, leaving the sedating drugs (known as brakes) in place to help with sleep and to cushion the taper of the accelerator.  SSRI's like Prozac are accelerators.  Gabapentin is a brake.

So, unless there's other factors to consider (like an adverse reaction to Gabapentin) you might want to consider holding where you are on Gabapentin until you complete your Prozac taper.  

You're doing great--6 months of doing well is a sign you're definitely healing--and this tweak in your tapering might help you to do even better.

Let us know what you think and how you're doing.

38 minutes ago, NeedMoreHope said:

Is it still normal to be doing really good for 6 months, then crash again? 

This is normal, and there could be a number of causes, including the last Gabapentin drop: time causality points to that.  The thing to focus on it that you're doing really, really well: 6 months' worth is a real accomplishment.

47 minutes ago, NeedMoreHope said:

My tired mind keeps going back to maybe I just need to try more meds, but I know better

Yes, you do.  Stay the course.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you.  I guess I was trying to get off the Gaba since it was the most recent one prescribed.  It has done nothing for me.  They gave it to me when I was having such bad akathesia (and they thought I had MS but I didnt). And honestly, Prozac was the drug that started all of this, so I'm a little afraid of that one... I was put on/off it several times with bad results.  I really don't know why I was doing both at once.  I will just stop for a while and let myself get more stable, then will start reducing the Prozac. I just get so scared when things won't let up.  The dark depression is probably the worst right now (along with the head buzzing/screeching).  I actually have been sleeping ok lately (ok for me is 5 hours).  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

Oh, and one more question:  My Blood Pressure is very erratic, and that has happened several times during withdrawal.  Do you know if other folks have had similar spikes and dips in their BP during withdrawal?  My Dr. could not identify any other cause.  This time, it really spiked high, and my Dr. put me on a very low dose of Lisinopril (2.5 mg), so now that I think of it, could that have caused a wave??  I just started it last week. My BP went right down after I started taking it.  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• Moderator Emeritus
27 minutes ago, NeedMoreHope said:

I will just stop for a while and let myself get more stable, then will start reducing the Prozac.

That's a good plan.

I actually have been sleeping ok lately (ok for me is 5 hours).  

That's good too.  You're going to make it just fine.  You're getting low on the Prozac and the end is in sight.  

I see you're reducing by a straight 1mg per drop instead of a percentage of your previous dose.  Decreasing by a straight 1mg per drop accelerates the amount you're decreasing each time, making it rougher and rougher with each drop.  By contrast, decreasing by a percentage decelerates the amount of each drop and makes things gentler on your system.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Another problem with the straight 1mg taper is that as you get lower the reduction gets larger than the recommended 10% per drop.  Going from 4mg to 3mg is a 25% reduction, from 3 to 2 is 33%, and from 2 to is a whopping 50% reduction.  So when you restart your Prozac taper you might want to consider switching to a percentage taper.

Do you know if other folks have had similar spikes and dips in their BP during withdrawal?

High blood pressure from the drug or withdrawal?

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, NeedMoreHope said:

I've hit a BAD wave.  I really have not done anything different since the last really small cut of gabapentin.  I was doing so well, then it seems everything came back with a vengeance.  It's making me scared that I will never heal while still on these meds.  But I know not to cold turkey again.  Is it still normal to be doing really good for 6 months, then crash again? 

The experience is disheartening and disappointing, for sure. One of the worst things about withdrawal is that when waves hit is that we think the way we feel is how we’ll feel forever. Like we’ll be stuck and this is just how things are going to be.  It’s a VERY common thought and fear people have when they’re in the midst of a wave. I would almost call the line of thinking a symptom in and of itself because of how common it is.  The good news is, that’s all it is, a thought. And you will heal. Unfortunately, healing isn’t linear- so symptoms will emerge and remit, then emerge again, then remit again, with the intensity and frequency changing over time, until we’ve healed. And yeah, as Gridley mentioned, this can happen at six months. My experience with with tapering fluoxetine is that symptoms kind of sneak up after a lag. I’m not sure if it’s because of its long half-life, or something else, but whatever the reason it’s unnerving.  

Definitely stay the course. It’s hard to believe when you’re feeling so badly, but the waves do pass, just never as quickly as we’d like. It’s a waiting game.  A frustrating waiting game. 

3 hours ago, NeedMoreHope said:

My Blood Pressure is very erratic, and that has happened several times during withdrawal.  Do you know if other folks have had similar spikes and dips in their BP during withdrawal? 

I have read in a number of threads where people talk about changes in their blood pressure during withdrawal. It seems like a relatively common phenomenon for people in withdrawal, so you are not at all alone in that experience. 

I’m sorry you find yourself in a wave. I hope it passes quickly.  

Edited by Addax

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Thank you Addax. You are exactly right about Prozac.  I have read where it is supposed to be "easier" to get off due to the long half life, but I have found it to be the worst.  I know it started my entire nightmare in 2018.  Subsequent starts and stops with it and the addition of dozens of other ones have no doubt left my system very unstable.  Time is ironically the only thing that can help us, but it's the hardest thing to bear.  Thank you all again (Gridley) for your encouragement.  I will keep going! 

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• 1 month later...

Well, after two rounds of an awful respiratory virus, I coughed so hard that I broke a rib... Ended up in the ER this week.  They gave me one IV of Toradol, and then I have been taking Aleve for the pain.  That is all I let them do (of course, they wanted to give me opioids, breathing treatments, and stronger pain meds, but I refused).  I was doing ok but today my dark depression is back, and I am a little jittery.  Do you think this is just a reaction to the injury, or did I make a mistake by taking the Toradol (the Aleve doesn't seem to have any side effects for me and actually helps the pain).  I was just starting to climb out again... I will say I had a whole week of incredibly wonderful days before this happened - even during the awful coughing.  Just feeling scared again that the darkness is coming back.  It's so hard not to fear this, and so hard to have "regular"  life events happen while we are battling this demon.  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, NeedMoreHope said:

Do you think this is just a reaction to the injury, or did I make a mistake by taking the Toradol (the Aleve doesn't seem to have any side effects for me and actually helps the pain).  I was just starting to climb out again... I will say I had a whole week of incredibly wonderful days before this happened - even during the awful coughing.  Just feeling scared again that the darkness is coming back.  It's so hard not to fear this, and so hard to have "regular"  life events happen while we are battling this demon.  

Im so sorry about your cough and injury! Ugh!

I’m going to say the injury was the primary trigger for the wave, with you being sick a factor as well. Stress really throws people off during withdrawal. Physical injury/trauma and pain is a huge stressor on the body. Even when withdrawing isn’t part of the equation, physical traumas, even surgery, can be followed by temporary low mood or depression.  So after an injury and dealing with pain, take extra care of your body and brain. Be extra kind to yourself.

I hear you about the fearing the darkness coming back. The dread that it will return can  loom large. It’s in the back of my mind every time I drop my dose or feel off.  My guess is that it might be a bit bumpy for a short spell, but as long as you stay the course and are as kind to yourself as your life allows, you’ll find relief from the uptick in symptoms isn’t far away.

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Thank you Addax.  I had a rough night - maybe rethinking even taking the Aleve, but you never know.  I'll just hang on and get through this.  It's hard to even describe this to our family and friends.  As soon as we feel those symptoms and sensations again, our minds start going down a rabbit hole .. will I end up back in the psych ward?  Is this torture my life?  Have I permanently ruined my brain? Can I endure much longer? And on and on and on!!  Your response helps get me back on track.  So I'm telling my brain this morning:  No, the medical field cannot help me (we tried that..).. No this is not my life - I've had better days and seeing much improvement...No, my brain has just been temporarily injured - it CAN heal.. and YES, I have made it this far, I can go on through to victory.  Thank you again!!  It's amazing how much just a word or two of hope can give us the strength to keep going. 

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/20/2023 at 8:26 AM, NeedMoreHope said:

As soon as we feel those symptoms and sensations again, our minds start going down a rabbit hole

THIS is one of the worst parts of withdrawal. Our brains can be so cruel to us during this process. Symptoms hit, or a wave hits and we become convinced that we’ll be stuck like “this” or will tumble off some cliff, or we’re irrevocably damaged. Then we feel better and realize it was a temporary wave of symptoms and remember that windows and waves are not unusual… but if another wave comes we believe all those bad things again.  It doesn’t seem fair that healing can get so uncomfortable, does it? OR that all we can do much of the time is wait it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just hoping to find some hopeful words.  This dark depression and wave has not let up since my last post.  I just cry constantly and am miserable - it's much like when I was in the acute stage.  It makes me start questioning everything and wondering if I need help.  My husband says to hang on, that we've travelled that road before and they made me sicker.  And inside, I know the medical profession is what made me the way I am right now - just want relief.  Willl someone just say (again) I can heal and this awful depression can end?  I need to read that over and over.  I just keep thinking my brain is too far gone to heal, or Prozac and all the other drugs have damaged me to where my brain can no longer function and I'm terrified to think life will be this way forever.  I am so tired of fighting this - been over 5 years since I started this long road.  I know others have been fighting even longer.  Thank you anyone.  This forum has been a lifesaver.  Just feeling really awful today...

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

I would have deleted my previous post, but not sure we are even able to do that.  I read through all the previous wonderful responses and all the information on this site.  It's really a matter of endurance - just got to keep going.  I think this wave hit me so hard because I was healing and getting so much better, and having hope that the worst was behind me.  At one point a few months ago, I almost had forgot the hell of this and was starting to actually look forward to the next day.  And I haven't made any taper adjustments in several weeks, and don't plan to any time soon, so I was surprised by the intensity of this.  But I know it is withdrawal.  And I know I have to walk this path.  I will keep going.  Sorry to post such a repetitive plea for help - I just seem to need constant reassurance that I will heal.  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• Moderator Emeritus

I sure do understand how excruciating this can be @NeedMoreHope and am glad you're reaching out.  It truly helps to have reassurance and to know that we're not alone.

Best wishes to you on your w/d,

Arbor 💜

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

• 1 month later...

I had a 14 day window after my last wave, then I have crashed again.  I haven't made any adjustments to any meds for a few months, so I am baffled. I'm having more acute symptoms again, like the sweating, anxiety, and the awful akathisia.  Please tell me this will end. I am scared today.  I don't think I've had these symptoms since 2 years ago.  It just doesn't make any sense. 

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• Moderator Emeritus

Waves can strike such fear and hopelessness in us. The inability to predict how long the will last makes them that much more scary.  From what I have read and my own experience, it appears there tends to be a longer delay in the onset of withdrawal symptoms with Prozac/Fluoxetine from the last drop because of the longer half-life. I’ve seen reports for up to four months. From me, it seems to be around three months. You made a relatively large drop toward the end of February, so you are in that three to four month range after a nearly 17% drop.  Also, 1mg drop from 6mg to 5mg is going to hit harder than 7mg to 6mg, and much harder than 8mg to 7mg. I point that out to say that how you are feeling and when you are feeling isn’t unusual and not necessarily unexpected. As in, it does make some sense based on the larger drop and the delayed onset of symptoms. I mean that to be reassuring. A large drop of 17% means there’s more for your brain to adjust to and it may need a little extra time to do it.  But it WILL adjust.

Holding is important right now.  As is finding ways to distract your mind away from thinking about your symptoms so they don’t consume you… it’s very easy to become consumed by them during a wave. 

It’s a waiting game that goes on much longer than it seems it should. But that’s pretty much how all healing works across the board. 

Thank you Addax, you have no idea how much your words mean to me.  I am in my second week of this, and the crippling depression and angst were so bad today I thought of going to the hospital...then my husband said no!  He said we aren't getting back on that merry go around and to hold on because I was getting better.  It is just such torture and I guess I thought I was beyond this stage, but what you say makes sense.  I'm not tapering any more for a good long while.  Thank you again.  ❤️

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Just dropping by to see how you’re doing.  I understand the desperation. Withdrawal from ADs, is not like anything else. And when it’s bad, it’s just so bad, with the intensity and duration feeling so unpredictable and nonsensical. 

I’m glad you’re holding. I am too. It got a bit bumpy for me, so holding is the name of the game.  

Addax, so glad you reached out - I was wondering how you were doing with your "slide".  I am still holding and plan to for a good long while. I was reading my past posts, and here I did the same thing to myself 2 years ago (I dropped way too fast)... I never learn... These past few months have been rough. The symptoms that I have most of the time are depression, "body buzzing", insomnia, "inner angst" and tinnitus. It's so hard to accept them and try to let the bad days pass when there is so much that needs done - I always fight guilt over not helping my family more or being able to plan anything.  And being in my 6th year of this crap, I do have sorrow over losing so much of my life, but I have to trust that the Lord will redeem the years for all of us someday.  In the midst of the suffering, however, I am having about a day each week where I feel almost normal again and most of these symptoms abate.  It gives me hope that our brains are figuring all this out and healing.   This will be over someday, and I can't imagine that we won't be able to conquer the world after what we have had to overcome here.  Hang in there.  We are both down to low doses, and even though we might have a while to go yet, freedom is within sight for us.  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Again, coming here for some comfort... I have been having some really great days, but then this all hits again.  I've been losing my sleep the past few weeks, and was down to nothing last night.  Having depression, buzzing, tinnitus, inner angst, and insomnia again.  Two questions that roll around in my tired mind: (1) Is what I am still on (Prozac/Gabapentin) keeping me sick, i.e., if I hold, will I never heal?  Should I just rip the band-aid off and be done with it?  (2) Why am I am having such intense symptoms for so long when I've been holding for several months, and my diet has been clean with mild exercise?  I will say I do have some intense stress right now with my family - both my parents are 89 and in poor health, and my sister is going through breast cancer treatment, so not sure how stress may impact this.  If anyone could just relieve my mind with some hope to those questions, I would appreciate it.  I get so scared that this will never go away, and that is such a frightening thing to ponder. 

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018

Hello,

Can anyone give me some hope today?  I've had agonizing akathisia and burning since Sunday - the worst that I've had in over 2 years.  Why is this happening now? I have not made a reduction in months.  I am so scared.  Of all the symptoms, this one is the absolute worst and I thought I was beyond this.  Has this ever happened to anyone else - where you were on the road to recovery, didn't make any adjustments, and all the sudden you are back in the absolute hell you were over 2 years ago?   This is what sent me back to the hospital 2 years ago.  I'm trying to hold out as I know they can't do anything anyway, and I will not increase or add any more drugs.  I just don't understand why I've crashed so bad this far out with no explanation and it is scaring me.  

20 mg Prozac - 2001-2018