Catina7: Effexor withdrawal / destabilized central nervous system

Catina7

9 hours ago, j1290 said:

Eventually I decided if I'm going to feel uncomfortable no matter what, I'd rather at least be on a lower dose.  I figured this was my new WD normal and started tapering.  Now almost a year later I'm on a much lower dose and feeling way better than where I started.  

I have hit this very same point myself at the moment and it seems like while on this other medication I'm about as healed as I can get and my thought process is the same. If this is how it is and this is my new withdrawal normal I might as well get down to a lower dose and hopefully eliminate a few more health issues that I'm dealing with. It is absolutely scary as hell but at the same time it's the logical thing to do. This of course is not advice but I thought you'd like to know you are definitely not alone in being frightened by this whole process, I would say that's the one symptom we all have in common so hang in there and you'll know when the right time comes along. You're doing good and seem to have a good feel for where you are at so just hang in there. 😉✌️😺😺

10 hours ago, j1290 said:

I've accepted i'm the crazy uncle and it really doesn't matter one bit.  

Very funny you said this because this has jokingly been my nickname for years in my brother's family. I've never taken it hard I always laugh about it 😁

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• Mentor

@j1290 Thank you for your thoughtful responses!  You are such a great support to everyone despite your own struggles.  I hope you know that you are very much appreciated.

Catina ❤️

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

• Mentor

I've spent the whole day suffering with awful anxiety and a panicky feeling.  I feel revved up like I'm being chased by a wild beast.  I'm still recovering from 4.5 hours of socializing on Thursday.  My nervous system feels so damaged.  I can't handle even the slightest bit of stress.  If I don't talk to a single soul, don't have any outside stressors, and sit here in front of my computer doing nothing I can feel okay most of the time.  But life can't be like that 100% of the time, can it?  I just have to keep on implementing non-drug therapies to help myself, which I honestly haven't done much of today.  I can do better.  I do have on some relaxing music with ocean waves in the background.  I love all the channels they have on YouTube for that.  And I am grateful that I don't have any nausea today.  But this anxiety....goodness gracious!  I told my husband that if he could feel what I feel it would bring him to his knees.  

I will continue to soldier on, hoping that I will heal enough one day where I can begin tapering again.  I'm afraid to taper down any more because I know the anxiety and panic will just get worse and worse and I don't think I could survive it.

I hope everyone gets through the night okay.  Tomorrow is a brand new day!  🌼

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

47 minutes ago, Catina7 said:

I've spent the whole day suffering with awful anxiety and a panicky feeling.  I feel revved up like I'm being chased by a wild beast.  I'm still recovering from 4.5 hours of socializing on Thursday.  My nervous system feels so damaged.  I can't handle even the slightest bit of stress.  If I don't talk to a single soul, don't have any outside stressors, and sit here in front of my computer doing nothing I can feel okay most of the time.  But life can't be like that 100% of the time, can it?  I just have to keep on implementing non-drug therapies to help myself, which I honestly haven't done much of today.  I can do better.  I do have on some relaxing music with ocean waves in the background.  I love all the channels they have on YouTube for that.  And I am grateful that I don't have any nausea today.  But this anxiety....goodness gracious!  I told my husband that if he could feel what I feel it would bring him to his knees.  

I will continue to soldier on, hoping that I will heal enough one day where I can begin tapering again.  I'm afraid to taper down any more because I know the anxiety and panic will just get worse and worse and I don't think I could survive it.

I hope everyone gets through the night okay.  Tomorrow is a brand new day!  🌼

I'm sure this is not any consolation but just know you were not alone today because my day was just about the same. Being flooded with cortisol all day really sucks. However I did have that nice surprise when I went to pick up my groceries so even in the misery there are good things coming out of it and the same thing will happen for you as it does for everyone else going through this. The one thing to remember is it's only a matter of time and if you are doing good self-care and have a decent diet then sooner or later it will happen. 😉✌️😺😺

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• Mentor
5 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

the same thing will happen for you as it does for everyone else going through this.

I hope so!!!  Thank you for your kind words.

13 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

Very funny you said this because this has jokingly been my nickname for years in my brother's family.

All the best people are! 😂😁

13 hours ago, Catina7 said:

Catina ❤️

You're the best.  Hang tough!

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2005-2021:  450 mg Bupropion XL Daily

2021 Buporopion May 450mg/June 400mg/July 375mg/Aug 10th 360mg/

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

REINSTATED-BACK TO MY LAST STABLE DOSE/TIME RELEASE

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

Hey lovely,

I just wanted to hop on and tell you to keep going it really does get better and better.

I ended up in a ward in 2018 for 10 days luckily i didn't touch anything they offered. So i get that fear and where you are coming from.

You are doing fantastic and you will be free of these drugs that is a fact. I was frozen to the spot when i hit 4mg of the benzo i kept saying "i can't do it" i was actually crippled with fear from everything i had been through. 

But i finally got under that 4mg mark and i was away so i really do understand. But you are way more powerful than any WD. Every single symptom is your body healing, you may not think it but its working for you on such a deep profound level, all the tears all the anxiety is bringing you back on line to your self.

You have so got this we are all walking home to our North Star and the light will guide you all the way, even when you can't see the light its always there hidden behind the clouds just waiting to appear, when i couldn't tell you but it is there.

Sending you so much love:wub::wub:

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

• Mentor
9 minutes ago, pinkfairy said:

Hey lovely,

I just wanted to hop on and tell you to keep going it really does get better and better.

I ended up in a ward in 2018 for 10 days luckily i didn't touch anything they offered. So i get that fear and where you are coming from.

You are doing fantastic and you will be free of these drugs that is a fact. I was frozen to the spot when i hit 4mg of the benzo i kept saying "i can't do it" i was actually crippled with fear from everything i had been through. 

But i finally got under that 4mg mark and i was away so i really do understand. But you are way more powerful than any WD. Every single symptom is your body healing, you may not think it but its working for you on such a deep profound level, all the tears all the anxiety is bringing you back on line to your self.

You have so got this we are all walking home to our North Star and the light will guide you all the way, even when you can't see the light its always there hidden behind the clouds just waiting to appear, when i couldn't tell you but it is there.

Sending you so much love:wub::wub:

Thank you my dear!  You are a beacon of light to others.  I want so badly to be free, and I know that with time I can do it.  

38 minutes ago, Catina7 said:

Thank you my dear!  You are a beacon of light to others.  I want so badly to be free, and I know that with time I can do it.  

Hold that close to you because your time will come its a promise. 

Just keep being ever so gentle with yourself, your are doing the best that you can x

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

• Mentor

I posted this in the section on diet but am copying it here in my own thread:

Okay, so I have come to the conclusion that for me I must keep myself out of ketosis.  My main symptom during withdrawal has been anxiety, and I am finding that the deeper I get into ketosis the worse my anxiety gets and then I have trouble sleeping.  Unfortunately, it's too activating for my system.  I'm really bummed about this because it really helps to keep my weight down, but at this point I'd rather gain a few pounds if it means I feel better.  

So I plan on doing a modified keto diet where it's still lower carb, but not so low that it puts me into ketosis.  I will have to continually monitor the situation by how I feel along with checking my urine using keto strips to make sure I'm not in ketosis.

It's really important that I figure this out because I cannot continue my journey off ADs if I am in a constant activated state due to ketosis.  Everyone needs to find out what works for their own body in regard to withdrawal.

I hope this information will help someone else who is struggling with the same thing. 

P.S.  The Outro website mentions the Mediterranean diet.  I might look into this as well.  https://learn.outro.com/c/resources/mediteranean-diet-tips

The Scandinavian/Nordic diet is supposed to be very healthy too which might give you different flavours and meal options, plus it's rich in Omega 3s. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• Mentor
40 minutes ago, AprilShowers said:

The Scandinavian/Nordic diet is supposed to be very healthy too which might give you different flavours and meal options, plus it's rich in Omega 3s. 

Thank you!  I'll look into it... 👍

Hi @Catina7 I’m cheering you on every step of the way!

17 years on 150 mg Effexor.

started taper to 75 mg October 29, 2022

went to 37.5mg December 20, 2022

0 on January 27, 2023

• Mentor
7 minutes ago, 2cats2272 said:

Hi @Catina7 I’m cheering you on every step of the way!

You're so sweet, thank you!  I'm here cheering everyone else on haha!  What a horrible thing we all have to go through, but in the end it will make us more empathetic and compassionate people.  ❤️

On 7/23/2023 at 7:37 AM, Catina7 said:

I just have to keep on implementing non-drug therapies to help myself, which I honestly haven't done much of today.  I can do better.  I do have on some relaxing music with ocean waves in the background.  I love all the channels they have on YouTube for that.  And I am grateful that I don't have any nausea today.  But this anxiety....goodness gracious!  I told my husband that if he could feel what I feel it would bring him to his knees.  

I feel you, reading through how you have gone through is so inspiring! It is sometimes so lonely, the anxiety and the panic (akathisia?) can really bring us to our knees.

Yet, at the same time we are healing together. Plus, our brains have no structural problems, it just needs to figure out pathways and chemicals in there.

It is very hopeful. I cling to that on bad days!

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

On 7/27/2023 at 10:15 PM, Catina7 said:

You're so sweet, thank you!  I'm here cheering everyone else on haha!  What a horrible thing we all have to go through, but in the end it will make us more empathetic and compassionate people.  ❤️

Just checking in hope you're managing and today is smooth seas.x

• Mentor
4 hours ago, pinkfairy said:

Just checking in hope you're managing and today is smooth seas.x

Hi @pinkfairy!  How thoughtful of you.  I'm doing okay.  I have some anxiety today after socializing a bit, but I'm going to take it easy the rest of the day.  I hope you are doing well yourself!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Quick Update and Minor Vent Session:  I'm hanging in there okay.  My entire nervous system feels so ravaged and over sensitive.  I met with my therapist yesterday.  I hadn't seen her in a month so there was a lot of catching up to do and I did a lot of talking; as a result, my anxiety shot through the roof!  My nervous system just can't handle the slightest bit of stress....and having to talk a lot is very stressful for me.  It's really hard for me to interact with people or socialize in any way for more than a few minutes being in this withdrawal state.  I feel so alone and isolated sometimes and wonder how I'm going to handle trying to taper down any further.  I'm petrified of going through what I went through before when I had a horrible crash.  I hope doing a very slow conservative taper will work for me b/c I desperately want to be free from these drugs. 

I hope everyone else is hanging in there okay today.  Thinking of all of you on this site gives me a feeling of camaraderie and helps to keep me going!   

• Mentor

Well, I discovered why my anxiety and insomnia have been worse lately in addition to my husband's BP shooting sky high this morning.  Last Thursday I bought what I thought was Hazelnut Decaf coffee.  Well, that's what the outside of the bag said anyway.  Turns out that someone from the company put regular caffeinated coffee inside by mistake (at least I hope it was a mistake and not some cruel joke).  Yup, can you believe it?!  

So I sent the company a FB message this morning explaining what happened as well as a message to the store where I bought it.  I told the company that I couldn't buy their coffee anymore b/c I can't trust what's inside.  It's crazy how jacked up caffeine can make us!  At least we pinpointed why my husband and I have been having problems lately.  Mystery solved!

I’m sorry @Catina7 but am glad you figured it out. I’m so nervous getting decaf coffee when I’m out. I’ve also been drinking chai tea latte thinking it was caffeine free. It’s not🤦‍♀️.

17 years on 150 mg Effexor.

started taper to 75 mg October 29, 2022

went to 37.5mg December 20, 2022

0 on January 27, 2023

• Mentor
28 minutes ago, 2cats2272 said:

I’ve also been drinking chai tea latte thinking it was caffeine free. It’s not🤦‍♀️

Nooooo!!!!  Sorry... 😵‍💫

19 hours ago, Catina7 said:

Well, I discovered why my anxiety and insomnia have been worse lately in addition to my husband's BP shooting sky high this morning.  Last Thursday I bought what I thought was Hazelnut Decaf coffee.  Well, that's what the outside of the bag said anyway.  Turns out that someone from the company put regular caffeinated coffee inside by mistake (at least I hope it was a mistake and not some cruel joke).  Yup, can you believe it?!  

So I sent the company a FB message this morning explaining what happened as well as a message to the store where I bought it.  I told the company that I couldn't buy their coffee anymore b/c I can't trust what's inside.  It's crazy how jacked up caffeine can make us!  At least we pinpointed why my husband and I have been having problems lately.  Mystery solved!

Oh my goodness! That's so remiss of them! I'm so sorry that harmed you but glad you got to the bottom of it (before you got to the bottom of the pack and endured way more distress). I hope you find a more reliable supplier and they make things right and your symptoms ease off soon. I'm very lucky I don't seem to be affected at all by caffeine, but having your anxiety spiked by something external is horrible, especially before you know what's causing it. 

As for feeling alone with anxiety, it's really hard I know, I have to isolate myself too just to get through the day sometimes and it can be a blessing and a curse because we do need support and to be out in the community for that feeling of wellbeing and belonging so it's a balance I guess, but I hope for you that a slow taper, holding when you need to stabilise will prevent you having long term dysregulation and things will improve over time. Hang in there. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• Mentor
7 hours ago, AprilShowers said:

Hang in there

Thank you for your response @AprilShowers.  You hang in there as well.  Hang tight, hang left, hang right (I just literally made up that little ditty right now lol!) 😃

1 hour ago, Catina7 said:

Hang tight, hang left, hang right (I just literally made up that little ditty right now lol!) 😃

haha I love it!  

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

23 hours ago, Catina7 said:

Thank you for your response @AprilShowers.  You hang in there as well.  Hang tight, hang left, hang right (I just literally made up that little ditty right now lol!) 😃

You are a poet and you didn't even no it :P.

Hope you're managing you lovely soul you:wub:

• Mentor
12 minutes ago, pinkfairy said:

You are a poet and you didn't even no it :P.

Hope you're managing you lovely soul you:wub:

Right...I guess I am hahaha!  😂

Oh my goodness, Catina! I’m new on here and navigating my way around the site, but I’ve just been reading most of your posts out to my husband saying “who does this sound like?”.

I’ve always felt that no-one understands, but this site is full of hundreds/ thousands? who do.

There is so much to learn from your thread and your experiences have been more harrowing than mine, but so much resonated with me.

Socialising! There are some people I mix with who are judgmental and totally lacking in empathy and my WD has made me flaky in the extreme. I’m so fed up with trying to explain why I’ve cancelled ‘yet again’. I’m tired of trying to wriggle out of nights out. My lovely family: I look forward so much to seeing them but I stress that I’ll hit a wave and it will all go wrong. Like you, I often have to take a time-out when the over-stimulation becomes too much for me. I love to see them all and I don’t want to miss a moment, but at the same time I can’t wait for them to leave. 

Over-stimulation/being wired/the jitters! Why oh why did my doctors put me on Lexapro and Effexor? They are so stimulating. My history is one of insomnia and never being able to switch off and relax - what were they thinking? When I first took Lexapro/escitalopram I felt like the Duracell bunny. Great, I thought, I feel so alive, I’ve got so much energy…and then it was bedtime…. I lost a tooth and broke a front one from bruxism, my cuticles are shredded, but then you know what it’s like.

So of course, although I’m off all ADs since last August ( 2022) the side-effects are now WD effects. I just want to switch off! I’ve told my husband that what I really want sometimes is a general anaesthetic.

Your story is so inspiring and I wish you the very best on your next taper next year. 

Uninterrupted Use of ADs from 2000 to 12 August 2022*

2000-2007 paroxeteine (Seroxat/Paxil); zopiclone (Imovane) 3.75mg.

2006-7 slow taper from paroxeteine of 18 months. *AD-free for 3 weeks.

2007-2018 trimipramine (tricyclic AD), accelerated taper due to unavailability of drug, last dose January 2018. 

2018 mirtazapine (Remeron) for 2 weeks, discontinued and took amitriptyline (tricyclic)for 2 weeks. Cross-tapered to:

2018-19 escitalopram (Lexapro). Zopiclone increased to 7.5mg.

2019 -2022 Venlafaxine (Effexor) reaching 75mg April 2019 having cross-tapered from escitalopram after a year. Began tapering off venlafaxine Sep2020. 56mg (9 Sep 2020); 37.5mg (Jan2021); 28mg (Aug 2021); 19mg (Feb2022); 9mg (Jul2022); final dose 12 Aug2022. Uninterrupted and continuing use of zopiclone 7.5mg. (Omeprazole (antacid) introduced January 2021 - now used if and when needed).

“Z drug” Use  Uninterrupted use 2000-present (still using) Zopiclone (Imovane) 3.75mg 2000-2018 and 7.5mg 2018-present

Currently AD-free for one year, as of 12 August 2022, taking 7.5mg zopiclone nightly and occasional antacid Omeprazole.

• Mentor
1 hour ago, NotQuiteMyself said:

Oh my goodness, Catina! I’m new on here and navigating my way around the site, but I’ve just been reading most of your posts out to my husband saying “who does this sound like?”.

I’ve always felt that no-one understands, but this site is full of hundreds/ thousands? who do.

There is so much to learn from your thread and your experiences have been more harrowing than mine, but so much resonated with me.

Socialising! There are some people I mix with who are judgmental and totally lacking in empathy and my WD has made me flaky in the extreme. I’m so fed up with trying to explain why I’ve cancelled ‘yet again’. I’m tired of trying to wriggle out of nights out. My lovely family: I look forward so much to seeing them but I stress that I’ll hit a wave and it will all go wrong. Like you, I often have to take a time-out when the over-stimulation becomes too much for me. I love to see them all and I don’t want to miss a moment, but at the same time I can’t wait for them to leave. 

Over-stimulation/being wired/the jitters! Why oh why did my doctors put me on Lexapro and Effexor? They are so stimulating. My history is one of insomnia and never being able to switch off and relax - what were they thinking? When I first took Lexapro/escitalopram I felt like the Duracell bunny. Great, I thought, I feel so alive, I’ve got so much energy…and then it was bedtime…. I lost a tooth and broke a front one from bruxism, my cuticles are shredded, but then you know what it’s like.

So of course, although I’m off all ADs since last August ( 2022) the side-effects are now WD effects. I just want to switch off! I’ve told my husband that what I really want sometimes is a general anaesthetic.

Your story is so inspiring and I wish you the very best on your next taper next year. 

Welcome to the site @NotQuiteMyself!  You're in good company here that's for sure.  I'm so glad that my experiences have helped you feel not so alone.  It works both ways b/c reading through yours helps ME feel not so alone.  We're all in this together.

Congratulations for getting off your ADs...what a huge feat!  I'm jealous (hehe), especially knowing you were able to get off Effexor.  At least you can recover without the drugs working against you...and in time you WILL heal.

Yeah, the socializing part is really tough.  Having to interact with people in a withdrawal state is just too much.  Thankfully most of my friends and family are pretty understanding, although how can they "get it" 100%?  It can be a very lonely and isolating experience and my heart goes out to you.  That's one reason why I love this site - I can feel connected to people yet I don't have to talk and exert too much energy.  It's been a lifesaver.

Thanks for commenting on my thread, and I hope we can encourage each other as time goes on!  Keep hangin' tough, you'll get through this!  😘

• Mentor

Random Thought:

I guess you know you're healing & stabilizing when you run into two people you know in the grocery store and stop to chat and engage in small talk (oh boy! 😫), and you don't have a massive anxiety attack that takes the entire day to recover from.  

8 hours ago, NotQuiteMyself said:

Sounds familiar.  

Off to the dentist tomorrow to see about my teeth grinding and painful jaw. 

Overstimulation?  If anything it has worsened over the years as I didn't used to be anxious.  Now I am hypervigilant with high startle response.  You are not alone.  

We will see each other through this.  I am new here and have found it so supportive.  

Best wishes. 

Various ADs from 1991, always for depression with anxiety and agitation... sertraline, paroxetine, citalopram (with 2.5mg olanzapine briefly), coming off each for increasingly shorter times until 2000 when I went on meds full time with Clomipramine 200mg. Then Venlafaxine (XR) since 2008, initially 225mg, then 300mg, plus tried on venlafaxine with mirtazapine (California Rocket) for only a week in 2017(?) as absolutely intolerable. 

July '23 Venlafaxine XL 300 to 275mg.  Aug '23 275 to 250mg. Sept/Oct '23 250 to 230 to 225mg.  Nov '23 205mg. Dec '23 185mg.  28 Dec '23 reinstated 225mg after crashing. 

Supplements: Vitamin D and fish oil. 

"L'exposition du merde est temporaries".

Although I have a background in health, I am here to learn from others, encourage others and share my experiences, not to give professional guidance. 

@Catina7 @NotQuiteMyself 

I identify with so much of what you have posted.  

Thanks. 

Various ADs from 1991, always for depression with anxiety and agitation... sertraline, paroxetine, citalopram (with 2.5mg olanzapine briefly), coming off each for increasingly shorter times until 2000 when I went on meds full time with Clomipramine 200mg. Then Venlafaxine (XR) since 2008, initially 225mg, then 300mg, plus tried on venlafaxine with mirtazapine (California Rocket) for only a week in 2017(?) as absolutely intolerable. 

July '23 Venlafaxine XL 300 to 275mg.  Aug '23 275 to 250mg. Sept/Oct '23 250 to 230 to 225mg.  Nov '23 205mg. Dec '23 185mg.  28 Dec '23 reinstated 225mg after crashing. 

Although I have a background in health, I am here to learn from others, encourage others and share my experiences, not to give professional guidance. 

• Mentor
19 minutes ago, BigCat said:

Overstimulation?  If anything it has worsened over the years as I didn't used to be anxious.  Now I am hypervigilant with high startle response.  You are not alone.

You are on a very high dose of Venlafaxine.  It could be that the drug is making you that way as it can be very stimulating.  Just a thought...

19 minutes ago, Catina7 said:

You are on a very high dose of Venlafaxine.  It could be that the drug is making you that way as it can be very stimulating.  Just a thought...

Reduction from 300 to 250 going OK so far.  

High dose?  You are absolutely correct, but from this side of "the consulting table" not unusual... and I swallowed it. 

No wonder I am wired yet hollowed out inside (is that a thing?)

I think a lot of my health associated colleagues just trust the system and eat up the meds, including those who prescribe them. 

Things need to change. 

Glad to be here.  

6 hours ago, Catina7 said:

and you don't have a massive anxiety attack that takes the entire day to recover from. 

Man, IYKYK.  Congratulations on the W!   

5 hours ago, BigCat said:

High dose?  You are quite correct, but from this side of "the consulting table" not unusual..

Hi @BigCat!  California rocket gave me a chuckle.  I was on 300mg of Venlafaxine and 450mg of Bupropion myself.   And I'm in California 😆

Good luck on your taper!

• Mentor
10 minutes ago, j1290 said:

Man, IYKYK.  Congratulations on the W!   

You're funny.  Sometimes I need to Google your acronyms because I am just...lost LOL!  Appreciate your support though!  😁

13 hours ago, BigCat said:

Off to the dentist tomorrow to see about my teeth grinding and painful jaw. 

I sympathise. I have another cracked tooth which the dentist is keeping an eye on. The jaw thing was unbelievable and was combined with earache and sinus pain. It also gave me reflux which I’ve still got a year after stopping the meds. The drug that just keeps on giving.

Nice to meet you, I’ve felt so much better about everything since finding this group and am on day 5 of a ‘window’, the longest ever.

Uninterrupted Use of ADs from 2000 to 12 August 2022*

2000-2007 paroxeteine (Seroxat/Paxil); zopiclone (Imovane) 3.75mg.

2006-7 slow taper from paroxeteine of 18 months. *AD-free for 3 weeks.

2007-2018 trimipramine (tricyclic AD), accelerated taper due to unavailability of drug, last dose January 2018. 

2018 mirtazapine (Remeron) for 2 weeks, discontinued and took amitriptyline (tricyclic)for 2 weeks. Cross-tapered to:

2018-19 escitalopram (Lexapro). Zopiclone increased to 7.5mg.

2019 -2022 Venlafaxine (Effexor) reaching 75mg April 2019 having cross-tapered from escitalopram after a year. Began tapering off venlafaxine Sep2020. 56mg (9 Sep 2020); 37.5mg (Jan2021); 28mg (Aug 2021); 19mg (Feb2022); 9mg (Jul2022); final dose 12 Aug2022. Uninterrupted and continuing use of zopiclone 7.5mg. (Omeprazole (antacid) introduced January 2021 - now used if and when needed).

“Z drug” Use  Uninterrupted use 2000-present (still using) Zopiclone (Imovane) 3.75mg 2000-2018 and 7.5mg 2018-present

Currently AD-free for one year, as of 12 August 2022, taking 7.5mg zopiclone nightly and occasional antacid Omeprazole.