Catina7: Effexor withdrawal / destabilized central nervous system

Catina7

9 hours ago, Catina7 said:

I'm constantly fighting the anxiety and an "activated" feeling; it never really "hits" me at certain times.  If I undergo stress then the anxiety gets much worse. 

Oh man, do I understand what that's like!   So it's not a spike at certain times of the day, you've got that "on" feeling all day long?  Got it.   That's one of the most challenging forms of anxiety for me.  I have to throw all the Dr. Claire Weekes and Stress and Anxiety Workbook techniques at it that I can, and it's not easy when I'm that sensitized.  

I hope it passes for you soon, Catina.  Please keep us updated 😊

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2005-2021:  450 mg Bupropion XL Daily

2021 Buporopion May 450mg/June 400mg/July 375mg/Aug 10th 360mg/

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

REINSTATED-BACK TO MY LAST STABLE DOSE/TIME RELEASE

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

• Moderator Emeritus

Coming by to say hi and send healing too!

Looks like you are another who also had some severe hormonal flucuations around menses that led to some of your initial drugging?  I'm a me too, although back then.......I didn't relate the 2.....so I may be a little just plain neurodivergent to boot?  I don't know.  Tis easier, for me, drug free at this point......all things considered.  And I mean that to be encouraging and supportive.

I just love your style Catina7 too.  You have a ton of spirit shining strong during your own WD struggles.  Smart too!  🙂💜 

Many thanks.

It is, such a pain, to have to lower stress to get through.  For me, often it was stress that was never stress before WD hit.  It does get better. 

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Mentor

UPDATE

I think I might have Akathisia.  I experienced it when I tapered down and had my horrible crash - the internal feeling of terror, insomnia, and the constant need to pace.  After I updosed things did settle down a little bit (sleep improved and pacing stopped), but for the past two years I've experienced a constant sense of terror inside my body, although not at the level I did when I crashed.  I've been thinking all along it's just been withdrawal "anxiety," but now I'm thinking that it might be a form of Akathisia.  The very thought of the word makes me shudder and terrifies me.  I'm afraid to taper down anymore for fear things will only get worse.  I already feel damaged enough as it is.  

Question:  If you were in my situation, what would you do?  Would you give up in trying to taper anymore, or would you attempt to taper again?  I couldn't live through what I experienced before.

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

Hi Catina.

Sorry to hear you've been going through a particularly bad time again lately.

It is so very difficult to decide when to drop down to the next dosage level. Venlafaxine/Effexor was my last AD and I did it quite slowly (but faster than the 10% guideline), and as soon as it levelled off, I went for it, I was so desperate to be free of it. I imagine that I'm not just withdrawing from the Effexor, but I'm still dealing with the years of all the other ADs I've been on. On paper it looks as though Paxil and trimipramine etc are behind me, but all of these drugs changed the way my brain operates and I don't suppose in the last 23 years it's ever had a chance to get back to its own way of working. Looking at your history, I can see that your experience has been similar.

My feeling, for what it's worth, is if you're horribly anxious about dropping your dose, don't do it yet. If you're stressing in anticipation of a bad reaction, wait a bit and see. Someone said that if you think it's going to be bad it will be.

Uninterrupted Use of ADs from 2000 to 12 August 2022*

2000-2007 paroxeteine (Seroxat/Paxil); zopiclone (Imovane) 3.75mg.

2006-7 slow taper from paroxeteine of 18 months. *AD-free for 3 weeks.

2007-2018 trimipramine (tricyclic AD), accelerated taper due to unavailability of drug, last dose January 2018. 

2018 mirtazapine (Remeron) for 2 weeks, discontinued and took amitriptyline (tricyclic)for 2 weeks. Cross-tapered to:

2018-19 escitalopram (Lexapro). Zopiclone increased to 7.5mg.

2019 -2022 Venlafaxine (Effexor) reaching 75mg April 2019 having cross-tapered from escitalopram after a year. Began tapering off venlafaxine Sep2020. 56mg (9 Sep 2020); 37.5mg (Jan2021); 28mg (Aug 2021); 19mg (Feb2022); 9mg (Jul2022); final dose 12 Aug2022. Uninterrupted and continuing use of zopiclone 7.5mg. (Omeprazole (antacid) introduced January 2021 - now used if and when needed).

“Z drug” Use  Uninterrupted use 2000-present (still using) Zopiclone (Imovane) 3.75mg 2000-2018 and 7.5mg 2018-present

Currently AD-free for one year, as of 12 August 2022, taking 7.5mg zopiclone nightly and occasional antacid Omeprazole.

Long story short a year after I began tapering Bupropion, I had a failed taper and failed reinstatement:  I could never get comfortable on the med again.  Stuck between a rock and a hard place, I decided to taper through it because I figured that might work, but holding was impossible to endure.  Now a year later I'm on a low dose and feeling much improved, with a long road to recovery still ahead of me.  I'm not getting any younger, my health/life situation could change so I'm glad I took the opportunity when I could.  I did some hospital time while tapering Venlafaxine and narrowly avoided an issue with taking a smaller amount than on the prescription bottle.  

TL;DR I tapered because it seemed like the least worst option, it wasn't because I was brave 😂   Its been terrifying but I'm glad I've done it. 

Sorry to hear about the Akathisia, Catina.   I'd encourage you to reach out to trusted confidants around here for their thoughts.  I can teach someone how to do something, but I can't give them the fire in the belly to do it, so I don't push.  It has to be internal.   Just my 2 cents.   There are lots of smart people here with experience, I'm sure they'll share it with you.   Good luck!

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

• Mentor

Just when you feel completely doomed, you find a new tool to put in your self-care toolbox.  

I like to stay active and my husband and I walk a lot up and down our road and other places in our area.  However, since my anxiety has ramped up lately I decided to try something different.  I got on my treadmill this morning and really tried to get my heart rate up.  I alternated moderate walking with 1-2 minute bursts of jogging.  At the end of my 40-minute workout I can say that it really took the edge off of the anxiety.  It wasn't 100% relief, but I will take anything I can get at this point.  

I know for some that gentle exercise is best and anything more than that is not recommended; however, in my case I think I need to do the opposite and really get my heart rate up in order to help regulate my nervous system.

So, my new plan of action is to incorporate this type of exercise 5-6 days a week.  

I also sent a message to Mark Horowitz to set up a consultation with him via Zoom.  @FeralCatman suggested this and I think it's a great idea.  

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/5/2023 at 7:15 AM, Catina7 said:

I've been thinking all along it's just been withdrawal "anxiety," but now I'm thinking that it might be a form of Akathisia.  The very thought of the word makes me shudder and terrifies me.  I'm afraid to taper down anymore for fear things will only get worse. 

Oh sweetie.  Yet things have not gotten worse, or am I reading your posts wrong?

And I know, I know......just the word, the Ak word instills fear and doom and gloom, and most especially if you have lived through it at a previous time.

If at all possible, and if it's even realistic for you to be able to keep going with the voice in your head calling your symptom withdrawal anxiety, or withdrawal obsessive thinking, or withdrawal anything......

I would.  Change how you talk to yourself in other words.  Words ARE powerful.

Fantastic advice/support above to you too!  I love it.

And have you been focused too much on reading that sends you into a "rabbit hole"?  With the rabbit hole being then feeling worse and worrying more?  Just asking, as another member mentioned how they do need to avoid sometimes going too much into certain sensitive(at present) topics.

And hugs.  It's not easy is it?

Great plans.  My gosh, I got into the woods yesterday and just the aroma, the tree smells I thinks were the best!  I will mention. that. new. asphalt. on the roads. and. here. in my neighborhood.  is. a bit. offsetting.  Ugh, tar smells!  And yesterday, with the trucks doing their part......it was like a mini earthquake.  Thank goodness for aromatherapy......and the nearby woods.

Sending healing.  Hope.  Love.  Peace.

mmt

Oh, I would not give up on my taper, and I might hone up on support and wait a bit, prior to tapering again.  I know you've been waiting awhile and wisely so.  I'd get comfortable with acceptance of your withdrawal stability- and what that is for you, and then you bet.......I'd taper further.  That's me though. I'd also be planning and practicing, like practicing how to get correct dosing for when I next tapered.  I finally went liquid with trileptal/oxcarbazapine and did waste a few pills......practicing getting my suspension right.......oh, also I can't tell you how often I did the math, over and then over again.  A lot has improved since then, that time.......just saying.......as that WD stable of now for you, will improve too. It won't always be this way. 💜

Edited by manymoretodays
more, forgot to get to question

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

It could be that the exercise is using up some adrenaline. I would go with what works for now and just keep it moderate enough to reap the benefits without raising cortisol too much. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

I just finished reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.  It is a must-read for anyone who has traveled into the world of psychiatry, and especially for those who are trying to find their way out.  

I used to work for a family practice doctor.  We had pharmaceutical representatives stop by the office frequently to drop off free samples of drugs, including psychiatric medication, along with promotional goodies that bore the name of their drug.  They would buy the entire office a very nice lunch, and during the lunch they would speak to the doctor about the "wonders" of their drug and the scientific "data" that showed its "effectiveness."  My doctor was very gullible and would nod in agreement to everything that they said.  I think it definitely swayed her in prescribing certain drugs.  

If I knew then what I know now, and especially after reading this book, I would have never allowed a psychiatric drug to pass my lips.  I'm grateful to know the truth about the history of psychiatry and how these drugs actually worsen long-term outcomes in people.  However, it saddens and angers me that many people are still led to believe the lies.  My older sister has a lot of faith and trust in psychiatry and is currently on three psychiatric medications.  I worry for her future.  

I long for the day that I am drug-free and can leave the world of psychiatry forever.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Catina7 said:

Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.  It is a must-read for anyone who has traveled into the world of psychiatry, and especially for those who are trying to find their way out.  

Agree entirely, @Catina7. I read it a little while back now, and it was eye-opening. 

Have you read the Prozac Backlash? I read that after Anatomy of an Epidemic. It, too, is very much worth a read.

Hope you're doing ok and that your exercise is continuing to be beneficial.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,

• Mentor
10 hours ago, Emonda said:

Have you read the Prozac Backlash?

No, I haven't read that one yet.  Thanks for the suggestion!  🙂

14 hours ago, Catina7 said:

I just finished reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.  It is a must-read for anyone who has traveled into the world of psychiatry, and especially for those who are trying to find their way out.  

I used to work for a family practice doctor.  We had pharmaceutical representatives stop by the office frequently to drop off free samples of drugs, including psychiatric medication, along with promotional goodies that bore the name of their drug.  They would buy the entire office a very nice lunch, and during the lunch they would speak to the doctor about the "wonders" of their drug and the scientific "data" that showed its "effectiveness."  My doctor was very gullible and would nod in agreement to everything that they said.  I think it definitely swayed her in prescribing certain drugs.  

If I knew then what I know now, and especially after reading this book, I would have never allowed a psychiatric drug to pass my lips.  I'm grateful to know the truth about the history of psychiatry and how these drugs actually worsen long-term outcomes in people.  However, it saddens and angers me that many people are still led to believe the lies.  My older sister has a lot of faith and trust in psychiatry and is currently on three psychiatric medications.  I worry for her future.  

I long for the day that I am drug-free and can leave the world of psychiatry forever.

Golfing holidays and meals at fancy restaurants for doctors used to be common in the UK until they were "officially" banned.  We still get  few sandwiches and pens...

My daughter has followed in my footsteps as a naturally anxious person who now takes sertraline... because a well meaning GP prescribed it. 

If we take the drugs and get "better" then we are cured, apparently.  Otherwise we are put on the merry-go-round of escalation until we are promoted to the status of "treatment resistant" or "personality disordered/awkward/difficult/non-engaging/non-compliant" *(choose your option).  

More power to you. 

Various ADs from 1991, always for depression with anxiety and agitation... sertraline, paroxetine, citalopram (with 2.5mg olanzapine briefly), coming off each for increasingly shorter times until 2000 when I went on meds full time with Clomipramine 200mg. Then Venlafaxine (XR) since 2008, initially 225mg, then 300mg, plus tried on venlafaxine with mirtazapine (California Rocket) for only a week in 2017(?) as absolutely intolerable. 

July '23 Venlafaxine XL 300 to 275mg.  Aug '23 275 to 250mg. Sept/Oct '23 250 to 230 to 225mg.  Nov '23 205mg. Dec '23 185mg.  28 Dec '23 reinstated 225mg after crashing. 

Supplements: Vitamin D and fish oil. 

"L'exposition du merde est temporaries".

Although I have a background in health, I am here to learn from others, encourage others and share my experiences, not to give professional guidance. 

• 1 month later...

Hey lovely, just catching up and i hope you are managing? sending you huge amounts of love from across the pond:wub:

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

• Mentor
1 hour ago, pinkfairy said:

Hey lovely, just catching up and i hope you are managing? sending you huge amounts of love from across the pond:wub:

I'm doing okay right now, thanks for checking on me!  I plan on resuming my taper in January by tapering 2.5% a month and see how I do.  Slow and steady wins the race!  🐌

36 minutes ago, Catina7 said:

I'm doing okay right now, thanks for checking on me!  I plan on resuming my taper in January by tapering 2.5% a month and see how I do.  Slow and steady wins the race!  🐌

Gals to hear you are doing ok :)

100% it does.

It will get over that finishing line for sure 🥳

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Update:

I'm still here and plugging along.  Not feeling 100%.  Some days are worse than others.  I do feel my heart beating faster and heavier, which gets worse when I undergo stress and also when I awaken from sleep.  Annoying but manageable.

I was hoping that I never had to take antibiotics during my taper, but I felt a UTI coming on so I went to my PCP yesterday.  Lo and behold they said I had one!  Before my appointment I read over the section about antibiotics and it advised to stay away from the fluoroquinolone ones, which can be downright dangerous.  Because I told her I didn't want any of those (which I think she would have prescribed) she prescribed me Macrobid (nitrofurantoin).  I am happy to say that so far I haven't experienced any side effects from it.  I hope it stays that way!  I was very nervous to take an antibiotic.

I still plan on resuming my taper in January.  I think I will reduce by 2.5 or 3% every four weeks and see how I do.  I am going to really take my time and listen to my body, holding for a long time if necessary.  I don't want to go through what I went through before when I tapered too fast.  All the reductions caught up to me at once and it was extremely difficult to endure!  I'm so glad I lived to tell about it and didn't give up on my life.

May we all keep fighting, hoping, and enduring each and every day!  

Much love to all,

Catina 😻

10 hours ago, Catina7 said:

Update:

I'm still here and plugging along.  Not feeling 100%.  Some days are worse than others.  I do feel my heart beating faster and heavier, which gets worse when I undergo stress and also when I awaken from sleep.  Annoying but manageable.

I was hoping that I never had to take antibiotics during my taper, but I felt a UTI coming on so I went to my PCP yesterday.  Lo and behold they said I had one!  Before my appointment I read over the section about antibiotics and it advised to stay away from the fluoroquinolone ones, which can be downright dangerous.  Because I told her I didn't want any of those (which I think she would have prescribed) she prescribed me Macrobid (nitrofurantoin).  I am happy to say that so far I haven't experienced any side effects from it.  I hope it stays that way!  I was very nervous to take an antibiotic.

I still plan on resuming my taper in January.  I think I will reduce by 2.5 or 3% every four weeks and see how I do.  I am going to really take my time and listen to my body, holding for a long time if necessary.  I don't want to go through what I went through before when I tapered too fast.  All the reductions caught up to me at once and it was extremely difficult to endure!  I'm so glad I lived to tell about it and didn't give up on my life.

May we all keep fighting, hoping, and enduring each and every day!  

Much love to all,

Catina 😻

Hey hey lovely, Ahh the good old UTI i used to suffer with them a lot and they aren't nice at all i hope you feel better soon and it goes.Well done on advocating for you.

% wise that is what i have done 2-3% i know its all i can manage at the moment due to previous CTS. We are glad you didn't give too,this world needs you.

Keep on trucking and the day will arrive when you are through to the other side. 

Lots of love Pink x

• Mentor
2 hours ago, pinkfairy said:

Hey hey lovely, Ahh the good old UTI i used to suffer with them a lot and they aren't nice at all i hope you feel better soon and it goes.Well done on advocating for you.

% wise that is what i have done 2-3% i know its all i can manage at the moment due to previous CTS. We are glad you didn't give too,this world needs you.

Keep on trucking and the day will arrive when you are through to the other side. 

Lots of love Pink x

Thank you dear one!  Lots of love to you too!  😘

On 11/21/2023 at 2:34 PM, Catina7 said:

I still plan on resuming my taper in January.  I think I will reduce by 2.5 or 3% every four weeks and see how I do.  I am going to really take my time and listen to my body, holding for a long time if necessary.  I don't want to go through what I went through before when I tapered too fast.  All the reductions caught up to me at once and it was extremely difficult to endure! 

Sounds like a good plan.  I removed a bead every 3 weeks or so and I recall having to do long holds now and then to let things catch up.   Each successful reduction is a victory in my book, and I think it's truly heroic that you're going to dive back in.  My personal experience was that the anticipation was a tough hill to climb, and once I was into the tapering, it became familiar and achievable.  That's not to say easy, which is why I think each reduction is a big win.  

• Mentor
42 minutes ago, j1290 said:

Sounds like a good plan.  I removed a bead every 3 weeks or so and I recall having to do long holds now and then to let things catch up.   Each successful reduction is a victory in my book, and I think it's truly heroic that you're going to dive back in.  My personal experience was that the anticipation was a tough hill to climb, and once I was into the tapering, it became familiar and achievable.  That's not to say easy, which is why I think each reduction is a big win.  

Thanks for your reassuring words and input as always.  It's nice to see you on here again; I was hoping you're okay!  😊

I’m sorry about the uti. I love your slow taper plan. You’re doing fabulous!

17 years on 150 mg Effexor.

started taper to 75 mg October 29, 2022

went to 37.5mg December 20, 2022

0 on January 27, 2023

• Mentor
6 minutes ago, 2cats2272 said:

I’m sorry about the uti. I love your slow taper plan. You’re doing fabulous!

Thank you my fellow warrior!  💪

• Administrator
On 11/22/2023 at 9:34 AM, Catina7 said:

I can relate to all of this, Catina7...annoying but manageable...(mostly)

I was hoping that I never had to take antibiotics during my taper, but I felt a UTI coming on so I went to my PCP yesterday.

Hope you've made a full recovery from this.

Before my appointment I read over the section about antibiotics and it advised to stay away from the fluoroquinolone ones, which can be downright dangerous.

Well done on being so diligent about what medications you take!

I still plan on resuming my taper in January.  I think I will reduce by 2.5 or 3% every four weeks and see how I do.  I am going to really take my time and listen to my body, holding for a long time if necessary. 

I like your approach. Start slow and see how you go. It's not a race.

On 11/22/2023 at 7:45 PM, pinkfairy said:

100%, we will get there.

One day we are both going to post our success stories 🙏🎉

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,

• Mentor

Thank you for your responses and encouragement @Emonda!  😊

• Mentor
10 hours ago, 2cats2272 said:

How are you doing @Catina7

You are sweet to ask about me!  I'm doing alright....still plugging along.  😘

@Catina7 Hi 🌞 i stumbled across your tread looking for uti info i have the symptoms but no positive lab test , I'm curious if you had any reaction to the antibiotics ? just incase i have to take them and thats for the name of the antibiotic you took 🙃

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Phoenixmama said:

@Catina7 Hi 🌞 i stumbled across your tread looking for uti info i have the symptoms but no positive lab test , I'm curious if you had any reaction to the antibiotics ? just incase i have to take them and thats for the name of the antibiotic you took 🙃

Hi!  They first put me on Macrobid, which I took for a few days without any side effects.  Then they called me and said my culture had a different strain of bacteria, so they switched me to Amoxicillin.  I took that for 10 days with no issues whatsoever.  I think it's the fluoroquinolone ones that you need to be most careful of (i.e. Levaquin, Cipro, etc.)

• Mentor

Update:

I saw a brand new psychiatrist today since my former psych NP left, who was very supportive of my slow tapering.  I was a bit apprehensive about this new one, but my therapist thought it was a good fit so she recommended I see her.  It's an interesting setup....I meet in a room with the psychiatrist on a huge wall monitor via teleconference because she's in another state.  It's still billed through my mental health facility since the psychiatrist is considered a staff member.  It's the same building my therapist is in.  There are numerous therapists and prescribers all under one roof. 

Anyhow, I went through my entire mental health history with her and explained that I wanted to get off my Effexor and Trazodone.  I explained to her that I wanted to do a very slow taper.  I said the most important thing I was looking for in a psychiatrist was to feel supported and validated in my journey to get off these drugs.  She listened and allowed me to express myself as she took notes.  I am happy to say that she said she would work with me and support me as I continue tapering my meds in January.  All in all it was a very good experience, and I am grateful that she is going to support me through this process.  

To anyone who is reading, I hope you're doing okay on your own journey.  We're all in this together to help and support one another!

Catina 🙂

@Catina7 Hi Catina- I’m a relatively new member. I’ve read your thread and read your newest update on your new dr. I am wondering where you live in the states- if you want to private message me that’s fine or don’t want to share that’s fine too. I am looking to find a psychiatrist that is supportive of a slow taper. No worries if you are not comfortable sharing👍.

Angus

Nortriptyline -2wks- April 2023, 20 mg for migraines, depression, stopped 

Lexapro- 1 wk May 2023, 2.5 mg s

Remeron- 2 days, June 2023, 2.5 mg

Prozac/ fluoxetine- started July 5 2023- liquid

4 mg for a wk (1 ml)July 5- July 12, 2023

6 mg- for a wk -July 13- 20, 2023

8 mg- for a wk July 21- 28,  2023

10 mg-wk bad side effects July 29- August 5, 2023

8 mg- August 5, 2023, 7.6 mg Sept 2023

That’s great @Catina7 that you have found a supportive psychiatrist! How are you doing at the moment? Sounds like you feel stabilised enough now.

2000: Feb: went on Paxil 20mg

2019: Feb: came off Paxil 20mg bridged to Prozac 20mg over 2 weeks.

2019: June: BAD TIME: had mother of all WD waves

2019: July: went on Effexor XR 150mg and WD symptoms stopped.

2020: Dec: started 10% per month taper from 150mg.

2021: Steadily dropped dose with some WDs but manageable.

2022: mid April- had terrible WDs in drop from 50mg to 45mg.
2022: 25 April-reinstated at 50mg

04/25/22--09/30/22: 50mg 10/31/22: 47.1mg 11/30/22: 42.3mg 12/31/22: 37.5mg 01/31/23: 33mg 02/28/23: 28.5mg 03/31/23: 24mg 04/30/23: 19.5mg 05/30/23: 16.5mg 06/30/23: 12mg 07/31/23: 9mg 08/31/23: 6mg 9/30/23: Back to 6mg (tried to switch to bead counting and miscalculated) 10/30/23: 5.1mg SEVERE WDs 11/8/23: 5.7mg UPDOSED 12/31/23: 6mg 1/1/24: 6.6mg

• Mentor
8 minutes ago, Angus said:

@Catina7 Hi Catina- I’m a relatively new member. I’ve read your thread and read your newest update on your new dr. I am wondering where you live in the states- if you want to private message me that’s fine or don’t want to share that’s fine too. I am looking to find a psychiatrist that is supportive of a slow taper. No worries if you are not comfortable sharing👍.

Angus

Hi Angus!  I'm in Maryland and my new psychiatrist is in Denver, Colorado.  

• Mentor
4 minutes ago, medfreeoneday said:

That’s great @Catina7 that you have found a supportive psychiatrist! How are you doing at the moment? Sounds like you feel stabilised enough now.

Thank you so much!  I'm doing fairly well and feel ready to begin tapering again in January.  I'm going to "test the waters" so to speak and see how things go.  All we can do is try, right? 

@Catina7 Thank u so much for your reply:). I am in Northern California so probably won’t work. I am so glad you’ve found a supportive doctor. They are hard to come by! I’m cheering you on as you start your taper:). Hopefully, I’ll be able to begin mine shortly as well.

Nortriptyline -2wks- April 2023, 20 mg for migraines, depression, stopped 

Lexapro- 1 wk May 2023, 2.5 mg s

Remeron- 2 days, June 2023, 2.5 mg

Prozac/ fluoxetine- started July 5 2023- liquid

4 mg for a wk (1 ml)July 5- July 12, 2023

6 mg- for a wk -July 13- 20, 2023

8 mg- for a wk July 21- 28,  2023

10 mg-wk bad side effects July 29- August 5, 2023

8 mg- August 5, 2023, 7.6 mg Sept 2023

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Hello dear tapering warriors!  I'll be out of town December 14-22 so I won't be on the site during that time.  I'm extremely stressed and anxious with getting ready to travel, but hopefully once I get there I'll be able to relax a bit more. 

Keep on keeping on everyone!  Sending you much love!

Catina 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

I'm back after a much-needed vacation.  The first day and a half I thought I had made a terrible mistake because my body just can't handle a lot of stress.  I'm not gonna lie...I felt like I just wanted to crawl under a rock and die.  BUT..... after I started to relax I ended up having a wonderful time!  If you're able to, I cannot stress enough the importance of stepping away from the entire antidepressant withdrawal experience for a while and just get your mind off of it.  I felt almost normal for a change other than the occasional wave of a rapid heartbeat.  

I feel completely ready to begin tapering the evil Effexor again soon....bring it on!!!!