Bailey: Acute Paxil Withdrawal Symptoms

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

@XcaretukYeah I guess it's hard to tell.  I have the worst stomachache now. I thought it was on its way but worse now then ever. Not sure if it's a virus or abdominal/stomach issues related to withdrawal. I'm so discouraged. I feel like I can't catch a break.

Hi Bailey, I know it’s such an awful time but you will start to feel better which is so hard to believe when you are in the thick of it. I still have some physical issues such as head pain/pressure, upper back ache and sweating and overnight symptoms but the anxiety has improved from being horrifying to manageable. I never thought I would start to feel better but I am…

1998(approx.) 20mg Paroxetine, 1998 -2015  various unsuccessful tapers, 2015 app 6 month taper to 0, 2015 approx 6 months later reinstated  original brand after debilitating neurological delayed WD symptoms. Made worse after surgery.2023 Famotidine, Cetirizine, New Generic, muscle relaxer.  March/April19th June, 2023 - 23rd July, 2023: Paroxetine Dosage reduced from 20mg to 15mg (on 15mg for 35 days), no significant symptoms.

24th July, 2023 - 26th July, 2023: Paroxetine Dosage reduced from 15mg to 12.5mg (on 12.5mg for 3 days), no significant symptoms.

27th July, 2023 - 3rd September, 2023: Paroxetine Dosage reduced from 12.5mg to 10mg (on 10mg for 39 days), no significant symptoms.

4th September, 2023 - 15th September, 2023: Paroxetine Dosage reduced from 10mg to 5mg i.e. 10mg every other day (on 5mg for 12 days), although not noted, must have experienced some symptoms, as I  decided to return to previous 10mg dosage on the 16th September.

16th September, 2023 - 25th November, 2023: Dosage increased from 5mg to 10mg i.e. 10mg every day (on 10mg for 71 days), symptoms start dates: Late September sweating, shaking and right side upper back pain., 5th October 23: Upper back pain worsening,21st Oct 23: Night time symptoms: insomnia, nausea, sweats, headaches, some anxiety (predominantly in the mornings)27th Oct 23 admitted to hospital with 1st hypertensive crisis with severe frontal headache  (now suspected of withdrawal ) BP 225/115.   Admitted twice more with high BP . Doctors at a loss for cause.  Given anti nausea, anti anxiety and sleeping tabs in hospital. . 1st Nov 23: , heart palpitations, some anxiety.. 7th Nov 23: Anxiety was now becoming more frequent (not severe)26th November, 2023 Dosage increased from 10mg to 20mg possibly first time taking 20 mg of Extine, new manufacturer.  3rd Dec 23 - 18th Dec, 23: Started taking 7.5mg - 15mg of Oxazepam when anxiety became unbearable only took 8 in total now stopped. Symptoms now more severe have head pain rather than headache. .Electrical shocks through body overnight accompanied by head pain. Sheer terror,. Sore eyes. 23rd Dec 23: All symptoms remain the same i.e. severe except for the last 2 days where my anxiety levels have not been as severe/ extreme and somewhat manageable (later in the day).22 Jan 24 Have some windows now but still suffering from all day head pain, upper back pain, waking up inner restlessness and terror , nausea, intermittent feelings of fear and wake up 12.30 am every morning  and sometimes up to 3 times a night with weird tingling down arms and back, pounding heart head pain and nausea.  2nd March 24, head pain/eye pain everyday and all day and & night wake ups.. Mild Akathisia early morning,, upper back pain, sweats. Anxiety much better.  21st April 24, drop 2.25% drop to 19.5 mg to test help with head /eye nerve pain and new symptom tinnitus.

@Xcaretuk You give me hope. Thank you. It does indeed feel impossible right now and I need that hope. Even your suggestion to accomplish an easy thing each day has been really helpful. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 1996-2012  Prozac and Klonipin
  • 2012: physician took me off Prozac rapidly. Severe (unrecognized) withdrawal. Went inpatient and was poly-drugged -- rapid changes of SSRIs, antipsychotics and benzodiazepines. 
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg
  • 2019 Xanax XR .5mg (tapered down to this level since being prescribed in 2012)
  • 2014-2022 Gabapentin (tapered down to zero from 1800mg)
  • May 2023 HRT - estriol, estradiol, testosterone, progesterone. Dec. 8, 2023 - stopped progesterone pill (started having awful reactions); inconsistent with estrogen and testosterone combined cream in confusion of severe withdrawal symptoms. Dec. 14, 2023: Estrogen/testosterone cream: Back on about 1/4 amount I was taking previously of estrogen and testosterone cream (1.5 pumps out of 4 -- full amount seemed to ignite some kind of fire in my hyper sensitive state); did not resume progesterone (b/c of bad reactions after taking in WD)
  • December 2022: Paxil 40 to 30mg (went OK); May 2023: Paxil 30 to 20 mg (went OK); Oct. 14, 2023: Paxil 15mg; Oct. 21, 2023: Paxil 10mg
  • Nov. 9, 2023: tried reinstating to 20mg but reacted very badly (kindling?)
  • November 18, 2023: 7.5ml (15mg equivalent) *switch to manufacturer's liquid, Novatium* Conventional psych doc switched me to 7.5ml liquid b/c tiny pills were  splitting unevenly - further destabilization by both switching to liquid and changing dose at same time.
  • November 2023 - present: *severe* withdrawal symptoms, akathisia
  • Dec. 6 - manufacturer change on alprazolam er (further destabilization?). Normal mfr very difficult to find now. 
  • Jan 6 2024 - stopped coffee and all forms of caffeine. Eliminated dairy, processed foods, sugar.  Gluten intolerant so no gluten. Low fodmap diet for gut issues, daily leafy greens, a lot of protein to avoid blood sugar spikes after meals and also for akathisia. 
  • Feb 27 2024 - doc had me stop hormone cream. FDA-required formulation had changed and she was worried about my transition to something new. She also said that the estrogen/testosterone hormones are activating.  I had already dropped a good bit in dose early in withdrawal (Dec 14 2023 above) b/c it got lost in the chaos of early withdrawal.  
  • March 2024 - doctor having me try propranolol for akathisia. First as needed starting around Mar 7 and then daily starting around Mar 23. (aka very bad in morning especially)
  • Apr 2 2024 - stopped propranolol. Think it was interefering with sleep and causing other side effects. May keep on as prn. 

@LotusRising Did you have gastro difficulties in your withdrawal? If yes, what did you do? I have stomach and abdominal pain after eating and things are moving rather slowly. Someone suggested that because I'm in withdrawal "fight or flight" rather than "rest and digest," that my digestion has shut down. I need nutritious food to heal and am not sure how to approach this. I also can spiral a bit a night when my stomach hurts as I approach bedtime because I fear that I won't sleep at all. At best, I only sleep a small amount after falling asleep to begin with and then wake up panicky.  Any ideas are welcome.

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012: physician took me off Prozac rapidly. Severe (unrecognized) withdrawal. Went inpatient and was poly-drugged -- rapid changes of SSRIs, antipsychotics and benzodiazepines. 
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg
  • 2019 Xanax XR .5mg (tapered down to this level since being prescribed in 2012)
  • May 2023 HRT - estriol, estradiol, testosterone, progesterone. Dec. 8, 2023 - stopped progesterone pill (started having awful reactions); inconsistent with estrogen and testosterone combined cream in confusion of severe withdrawal symptoms. Dec. 14, 2023: Estrogen/testosterone cream: Back on about 1/4 amount I was taking previously of estrogen and testosterone cream (1.5 pumps out of 4 -- full amount seemed to ignite some kind of fire in my hyper sensitive state); did not resume progesterone (b/c of bad reactions after taking in WD)
  • December 2022: Paxil 40 to 30mg (went OK); May 2023: Paxil 30 to 20 mg (went OK); Oct. 14, 2023: Paxil 15mg; Oct. 21, 2023: Paxil 10mg
  • November 18, 2023: 7.5ml (15mg equivalent) *switch to manufacturer's liquid, Novatium* Conventional psych doc switched me to 7.5ml liquid b/c tiny pills were  splitting unevenly - further destabilization by both switching to liquid and changing dose at same time.
  • Dec. 6 - manufacturer change on alprazolam er (further destabilization?). Normal mfr very difficult to find now. 
  • Jan 6 2024 - stopped coffee and all forms of caffeine. Eliminated dairy, processed foods, sugar.  Gluten intolerant so no gluten. Low fodmap diet for gut issues, daily leafy greens, a lot of protein to avoid blood sugar spikes after meals and also for akathisia. 
  • Feb 27 2024 - doc had me stop hormone cream. FDA-required formulation had changed and she was worried about my transition to something new. She also said that the estrogen/testosterone hormones are activating.  I had already dropped a good bit in dose early in withdrawal (Dec 14 2023 above) b/c it got lost in the chaos of early withdrawal.  
  • March 2024 - doctor having me try propranolol for akathisia. First as needed starting around Mar 7 and then daily starting around Mar 23. (aka very bad in morning especially)
  • Apr 2 2024 - stopped propranolol. Think it was interefering with sleep and causing other side effects. May keep on as prn. 

Yes, I had a lot of different GI issues, still do sometimes, but much better. I got through by drinking smoothies, since those seemed easiest for me to digest. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I need nutritious food to heal and am not sure how to approach this

You will heal even if you can't eat regularly. It will pass, just eat what you can - I added protein powder, greens powder and coconut oil/manna as a base to my smoothies and then added whatever fruit I had on hand. Small, easily digestible foods throughout the day. I would avoid raw vegetables, beans, or any other foods that you might typically find hard to digest.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I also can spiral a bit a night when my stomach hurts as I approach bedtime because I fear that I won't sleep at all.

Have you tried yoga nidra, sleep meditations? I listened to them every single night for months. I'm pretty sure my husband hated me, but it provided me some distraction. It wasn't a cure-all for sleep, but it helped.

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

@Bailey I also use liquid. I have a small cup I bring into the bathroom with me when dosing, I fill it with water. Once I take the the dose from the syringe, I draw up some water into the syringe and shoot it into my mouth to ensure any residue or extra is in my mouth and not the syringe. I then drink the little cup of water just be 100% sure. Maybe this would decrease some anxiety about the meds left in the tip for you? Hang in there. I have been where you are (and still am) after a dosing error. 

I didn’t think I would make it through Christmas. I was delirious, weeping, unable to eat, every task made my nerves hurt, the thought of paying a bill or going to the store was enough to make me need to go bed. I cried all day, desperate for answers, desperate for sleep, waking in terror etc etc. but I have held on and have had two completely normal days in the last week. I even slept 8 hours last night with no terror! Hang in there the brain gets irritated but it does pass. 

Aug-Oct 2018 - 22 doses of Ativan (0.25 mg) stopped CT .Nov 2018 - Zoplicone 7.5 mg (stopped CT Dec 18) .Dec 2018 - 5mg Valium (tapered to 0.25 mg felt good so stayed on this dose for a long time) .Dec 2021 - Pregabalin one week CT .Jan 2022- Mirtazapine 3.75 mg, 2 weeks then 2 week taper. Updose Valium to 15 mg .June 2022 - 10mg Valium, currently tapering 

March 2022-Dec 2023 - Tapered 13mg over 19 months down to 1.5 mg. Nov 2023 made error with liquid and solid dose. Updosed by 60% by accident. 

Dec 2023 - 1.5 mg Valium 

Feb 2023- 4mg Valium, 400mg  Gabapentin. 1.5 mg Mirtazapine

(discontinued after short taper) 

@Comfyquilt Thank you for the syringe idea and your encouragement. Yes, functioning for me is hard, really hard. Just making it through the day, waking up in terror, etc. It's all so much. I am so glad to hear things are getting better for you and that, too, encourages me that I can heal and get better. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

@LotusRising thanks so much for your reassuring reply. I was panicking about not being able to eat and thinking I'd be stuck where I am forever as a result. I had started to spiral and think there was no way out of this. 

I do have something I listen to at night, which helps. I'll also look into sleep meditations and yoga nidra. I definitely need the calm before bed given that I tense up thinking about only sleep a short amount of time and waking up in terror. I appreciate you. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

@Bailey yes it was very dire for me, I felt desperate for help and relief. It’s come back a little bit today but I remember someone telling me about Wd “You have a primary experience of headaches, or uncommanded movements, or insomnia, etc.  And you know “nobody is coming.”  You are in repeated states of terror.
You (one) move into a secondary experience that you create for yourself.  “I’m going to die, lose my job, get divorced, etc.”

it’s be re complex and I always try to remind myself that there are a lot of neuro emotions happening (I’m really guilty of these myself) and that the best thing to repeate over and over is “this is chemical Wd this is not me or who I am” I’ve probably said that to myself 10000000 times since Nov 😮‍💨

Aug-Oct 2018 - 22 doses of Ativan (0.25 mg) stopped CT .Nov 2018 - Zoplicone 7.5 mg (stopped CT Dec 18) .Dec 2018 - 5mg Valium (tapered to 0.25 mg felt good so stayed on this dose for a long time) .Dec 2021 - Pregabalin one week CT .Jan 2022- Mirtazapine 3.75 mg, 2 weeks then 2 week taper. Updose Valium to 15 mg .June 2022 - 10mg Valium, currently tapering 

March 2022-Dec 2023 - Tapered 13mg over 19 months down to 1.5 mg. Nov 2023 made error with liquid and solid dose. Updosed by 60% by accident. 

Dec 2023 - 1.5 mg Valium 

Feb 2023- 4mg Valium, 400mg  Gabapentin. 1.5 mg Mirtazapine

(discontinued after short taper) 

I can relate to all of that and it helps me to hear about your journey. I will try to remind myself that "this is chemical withdrawal and not the real me." 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I'll also look into sleep meditations and yoga nidra.

Insight Timer is a free app with lots of meditations and yoga nidra. I hope it helps!

thinking I'd be stuck where I am forever as a result. I had started to spiral and think there was no way out of thi

Definitely not stuck where you are forever, though I know it can feel like that sometimes.

Have you seen this topic:

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

@LotusRising Someone else mentioned Insight Timer to me this week. I've not heard of it and need to check it out.  And I'll definitely take a look at the info. on emotional spirals as that's absolutely me right now. Thank you!

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

Hi Bailey, I just read through your thread and am sorry to hear that you are having so many issues with your taper. You are getting a lot of good advice. Paxil is the number one hardest AD to taper (Effexor almost ties with it), it must be done slowly and carefully, and even then, it can be tough going at times. The good news is that even with a CT recovery happens, it just takes a while. You will get there.

Don't worry about the syringe. They are designed to take into account the little bit left in the tip, and it is not enough to affect your dose in the first place. As for the bubbles, it sounds like you are halfway there. Full the syringe, tip it point up and tap it a few times to let the bubbles rise to the top. Even let it sit in this position for a few minutes, then gently squeeze the plunger to push out the air, and now refill the lost bit from the bottle to get the full dose. There is no need to rinse the syringe and drink the water, the meniscal amount of the drug you would get doing this would have no effect.

The reason for you feeling so poorly and all the WD symptoms is clearly shown in your signature and reenforced in your postings. Your initial taper was much, much too fast and in too large of steps. This has destabilized your system, and it needs a long rest to try and catch up and adjust. Every change in dose, each new supplement etc. just destabilizes things even more and restarts the clock on recovery. Your body is screaming out for stability. That can only be achieved by proactively doing nothing.

I hate to say it, but all the things you are experiencing are quite normal. However, they will subside somewhat as you stabilize. Stabilization will not happen overnight; it will take much longer than you think or hope it will, but I've never seen it not happen. One shining example is our member Coldturkmama. She CTed paxil at the same time I started my paxil taper. It took her longer to recover, but she did.

For now, you need to work on relaxing/coping strategies. Explore what you are feeling, understand it, don't fear it, and the big key work on acceptance. There is a lot of information on all these subjects throughout the site. Talk with members, learn and try things and you will recover.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

@brassmonkey Thank you so very much for all the information and encouragement. You mentioned that each new supplement resets the clock. Would you say that about things like fish oil capsules and magnesium which have been recommended here? I've thought I would try to carefully add those things one at a time. I'm definitely shooting for stabilization and will hold for a long time once I get there. Thank you for adding that you've never seen stabilization not happen even if it takes longer than we want. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

With ADWD it is very difficult to make hard and fast statements because just about anything can throw things off track. Fish oil and magnesium in general are two of the most helpful supplements, but they have a spotty track record. They work for the majority of people but can cause a wide range of problems for others. Once those problems crop up it restarts the recovery clock. Both of them are very subtle in their actions when they help, but can be very disruptive when they don't. This is why we recommend starting one at a time and with a very small dose.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

@brassmonkey Ah, OK. That helps a lot. I was going to carefully introduce fish oil and then maybe magnesium down the road. I had also toyed with the idea of topical magnesium oil as well. However, maybe I'll simply concentrate on getting what I can from food so as not to cause any issues. Thank you. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

@LotusRising I'm so scared and terrified of everything. Things that "normal" me would think are inconsequential take on huge proportions  (will there ever be a normal me again?). I keep having things go round and round in my mind. So many fears. I woke up at 2am and couldn't stop cycling through various fears. It seems I'm primed to ruminate on anything that crosses my path or that ever has crossed my path from years gone by. Anything I can do? 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

@LotusRising I'm so scared and terrified of everything. Things that "normal" me would think are inconsequential take on huge proportions  (will there ever be a normal me again?). I keep having things go round and round in my mind. So many fears. I woke up at 2am and couldn't stop cycling through various fears. It seems I'm primed to ruminate on anything that crosses my path or that ever has crossed my path from years gone by. Anything I can do? 

Bailey I am the same. Will I ever get back to normal? I am ruining my husband life? Why was I so stupid? Afraid to meet people.  I think this is part of the process of this horrible journey . But I try to keep in mind that SA is the best place to be among people going through the same thing especially the moderators that have been there and are telling us we will improve but it takes time. We need to hold on and take one min at a time. Sending hugs…

1998(approx.) 20mg Paroxetine, 1998 -2015  various unsuccessful tapers, 2015 app 6 month taper to 0, 2015 approx 6 months later reinstated  original brand after debilitating neurological delayed WD symptoms. Made worse after surgery.2023 Famotidine, Cetirizine, New Generic, muscle relaxer.  March/April19th June, 2023 - 23rd July, 2023: Paroxetine Dosage reduced from 20mg to 15mg (on 15mg for 35 days), no significant symptoms.

24th July, 2023 - 26th July, 2023: Paroxetine Dosage reduced from 15mg to 12.5mg (on 12.5mg for 3 days), no significant symptoms.

27th July, 2023 - 3rd September, 2023: Paroxetine Dosage reduced from 12.5mg to 10mg (on 10mg for 39 days), no significant symptoms.

4th September, 2023 - 15th September, 2023: Paroxetine Dosage reduced from 10mg to 5mg i.e. 10mg every other day (on 5mg for 12 days), although not noted, must have experienced some symptoms, as I  decided to return to previous 10mg dosage on the 16th September.

16th September, 2023 - 25th November, 2023: Dosage increased from 5mg to 10mg i.e. 10mg every day (on 10mg for 71 days), symptoms start dates: Late September sweating, shaking and right side upper back pain., 5th October 23: Upper back pain worsening,21st Oct 23: Night time symptoms: insomnia, nausea, sweats, headaches, some anxiety (predominantly in the mornings)27th Oct 23 admitted to hospital with 1st hypertensive crisis with severe frontal headache  (now suspected of withdrawal ) BP 225/115.   Admitted twice more with high BP . Doctors at a loss for cause.  Given anti nausea, anti anxiety and sleeping tabs in hospital. . 1st Nov 23: , heart palpitations, some anxiety.. 7th Nov 23: Anxiety was now becoming more frequent (not severe)26th November, 2023 Dosage increased from 10mg to 20mg possibly first time taking 20 mg of Extine, new manufacturer.  3rd Dec 23 - 18th Dec, 23: Started taking 7.5mg - 15mg of Oxazepam when anxiety became unbearable only took 8 in total now stopped. Symptoms now more severe have head pain rather than headache. .Electrical shocks through body overnight accompanied by head pain. Sheer terror,. Sore eyes. 23rd Dec 23: All symptoms remain the same i.e. severe except for the last 2 days where my anxiety levels have not been as severe/ extreme and somewhat manageable (later in the day).22 Jan 24 Have some windows now but still suffering from all day head pain, upper back pain, waking up inner restlessness and terror , nausea, intermittent feelings of fear and wake up 12.30 am every morning  and sometimes up to 3 times a night with weird tingling down arms and back, pounding heart head pain and nausea.  2nd March 24, head pain/eye pain everyday and all day and & night wake ups.. Mild Akathisia early morning,, upper back pain, sweats. Anxiety much better.  21st April 24, drop 2.25% drop to 19.5 mg to test help with head /eye nerve pain and new symptom tinnitus.

@Xcaretuk Thank you. I hate that we're in this but I'm glad to have met someone kind like yourself who understands. I'm clumsily typing in my morning akathisia -- convulsing-like movement, terror -- for distraction. Just trying to survive. I know you understand this well. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

This is embarrassing but any thoughts on or experience with glycerin or saline enemas when things are just shut down for days and days? And you have pain? Side effects for our hypersensitive systems in withdrawal?

Also, gosh, my terror, anxiety, electrocution, akathisia symptoms are off the charts extreme today. My instinct is to go to the ER (for safety) but how can they really help? It all feels so terrifying and  hopeless right now. Pure anguish. I want out of this body so badly. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

On 1/12/2024 at 12:21 PM, Emonda said:

We all make this mistake at least once...accept it, learn from it, and move on 👍 You'll be fine.

I now have a recurring alarm on my phone. When it goes off, I immediately take my dose.

Not surprising.

The documentary LostinCanada mentioned is worth a watch. A shortened version was also on ABC four corners a few months back.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

This is embarrassing but any thoughts on or experience with glycerin or saline enemas when things are just shut down for days and days? And you have pain? Side effects for our hypersensitive systems in withdrawal?

Also, gosh, my terror, anxiety, electrocution, akathisia symptoms are off the charts extreme today. My instinct is to go to the ER (for safety) but how can they really help? It all feels so terrifying and  hopeless right now. Pure anguish. I want out of this body so badly. 

Hi Bailey,

Keep hanging in there. It’s so hard isn’t it? The Akathisia is my worst symptom especially when trying to get back to sleep in the morning. If it’s particularly bad it sets me up for a fearful day. However the electrocution like symptoms for me overnight and daytime anxiety have def tampered down compared to when it first started. I am waiting a couple of weeks then will be asking the moderators for their opinion on whether I should come down to 18mg instead of 20mg to see if I get any relief from the Akathasia. Did you tag the moderators in this post? I am 60 and not very technical… I felt the same awhile back about going to ER or even admitting myself but after reading and researching I feel the same as you. Please keep talking, you can tag me anytime, though I am Australia so we have a bit of a time difference. In regard to enemas I don’t have much experience with those but take psyllium husk when required… 

@LotusRisingThis is embarrassing but any thoughts on or experience with glycerin or saline enemas when things are just shut down for days and days? And you have pain? Side effects for our hypersensitive systems in withdrawal?

Is there another moderator I should tag? Thank you. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

@Xcaretuk Thank you so much. Which moderators should I tag. I don't think the one who usually answers (lotus rising) me has been on lately. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

Hi @Bailey

Sorry, I’ve been away! I’m mostly back now. 

No need to be embarrassed. I’m having a lot of GI stuff right now too. I’ve been in a big flare for a few weeks so I can relate. 

What is happening? Are you still getting hungry, or is that affected too? Are you eating fiber? Have you tried things like prune juice, warm lemon water every morning? I’ve been away from home, but I’ll be going back to my old standby of castor oil packs over the abdomen. Other options - you could try senokot to help move things along. If all else fails, yes you could certainly try suppositories or an enema - I’ve had to do both, but personally, I would start with the other options. 

My instinct is to go to the ER (for safety) but how can they really help?

This was my instinct too when I was early on in my WD journey, but I quickly found out the ER was not the safe place I thought it was, nor were they able to validate my experience, or even help me. 

Also, gosh, my terror, anxiety, electrocution, akathisia symptoms are off the charts extreme today.

What coping skills are you currently using to handle these symptoms?

2 hours ago, LotusRising said:

No need to be embarrassed. I’m having a lot of GI stuff right now too. I’ve been in a big flare for a few weeks so I can relate. 

What is happening? Are you still getting hungry, or is that affected too? Are you eating fiber? Have you tried things like prune juice, warm lemon water every morning? I’ve been away from home, but I’ll be going back to my old standby of castor oil packs over the abdomen. Other options - you could try senokot to help move things along. If all else fails, yes you could certainly try suppositories or an enema - I’ve had to do both, but personally, I would start with the other options. 

@LotusRising I'm glad you're back and hope you're feeling OK. I'm sorry you're having a flare up. I am getting increasingly hungry which is a good sign. I'm just not eliminating for days and days or ever without help. It seems like a cement block in my gut and then my stomach and gut begin to hurt. 

I did do a glycerin enema this past Saturday and then had a horrific Sunday with extreme symptoms. I don't know if it was cause and effect or not. There was one other time this happened as well -- saline enema one day, horrific symptoms the next. I wondered if the enema contents upset my hypersensitive system. Or, if doing the enema changed the way I absorbed/interacted with my medicine. I take meds at 6:30 am (liquid Paxil, xanax XR) and do the enema around 2pm. I'm always trying so desperately to figure things out. 

I'm drinking a lot of warm water but I hadn't known about lemon. Does lemon help? I've really tried to up my water intake in general. However, even when I stop really early in the day, I have go to the bathroom multiple times at night. That would be OK except for when I wake up, it starts the terror cycle. It seems when I try to do one "helpful" thing, there's then some awful consequence to that. I'm trying to eat fiber -- steel cut oatmeal, frozen blueberries, leafy greens, nuts. I'm never sure how my stomach is going to react so I'm also having to be careful with just about any food.

My doctor has suggested low FODMAP which I just started a few days ago. Not sure that's the answer but perhaps will help with some GI pain. 

2 hours ago, LotusRising said:

What coping skills are you currently using to handle these symptoms?

I've tried distraction, meditation apps, music, epsom salt baths, walking.  Yesterday was so extreme that nothing seemed to touch it. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

@LotusRisingTo kłopotliwe, ale czy masz jakieś przemyślenia lub doświadczenia z lewatywami glicerynowymi lub solą fizjologiczną, gdy wszystko jest po prostu wyłączone na wiele dni? A boli Cię? Skutki uboczne dla naszych nadwrażliwych systemów podczas odstawienia?

Poza tym, mój strach, niepokój, porażenie prądem i objawy akatyzji są dziś ekstremalne. Instynkt podpowiada mi, aby udać się na ostry dyżur (dla bezpieczeństwa), ale w jaki sposób mogą oni naprawdę pomóc? To wszystko wydaje się teraz takie przerażające i beznadziejne. Czysta udręka. Tak bardzo chcę się wydostać z tego ciała. 

Czy jest jeszcze jeden moderator, którego powinienem oznaczyć? Dziękuję. 

I dont know much by I try dried prunes too,At the moment I do not have a problem with constipation only with pain and a quick feeling of overfilling the stomach. . I researched that I shouldn't drink yogurt when constipated because it worsens so I prefer kefir which loosens it up. for the pains I've been swallowing some turmeric because I think it's some kind of inflammation of the stomach membrane and I think it helps a little. Lately I've been drinking a glass of special mineral water that reduces hyperacidity and is supposed to help with digestion. Anyway, it doesn't hurt just has a rotten egg smell unfortunately because it contains minerals

In my case such as a little gastroparesis, why WD from SSRIs causes it?
The doctor gives sulpirydum for it because he says it's just nerves. Why does he pretend to know the cause if he doesn't ?

2022 escitalopram from July 25 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg August-December- 7.5 mg, 5 mg, (1 month) 2.5 mg - C/T 
WD
2023 Short reinstatement from WD date: 

escitalopram May 25-June 12 5 mg, 2.5 mg plus interrupted

Reinstatement 24 07.23 0.5mg escitalopram, 18.08.23 0.22 escitalopram, 07.09. 0.28
Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

Last year 6 months on escitalopram, I was very agitated, hypomaniacal and with little need for sleep. 
Since July 2023 reinstated and reduced from 0.50 mg to 0.30 mg Lexapro - difficulty sleeping and lack of sleep, eye pain and IBS. Anhedonia. 

November 2023 - 0mg

thank you @modelarz71 I think I've also read that tumeric is supposed to help. Interesting about the other things you've learned and are doing. I appreciate you sharing those things. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

I'm sorry you're having a flare up.

Thank you, it is what it is and honestly, it has been much worse, so I really can't complain. Just frustrating.

I am getting increasingly hungry which is a good sign.

I agree, I think this is definitely a good sign. This happened to me as well. Complete cement block and no appetite, coupled with very very slow digestion, basically not moving at all, with fullness after a only a few bites. I'm not sure if this is the same for you, but I knew things were improving when my appetite started coming back. 

I don't know if it was cause and effect or not. There was one other time this happened as well -- saline enema one day, horrific symptoms the next. I wondered if the enema contents upset my hypersensitive system. Or, if doing the enema changed the way I absorbed/interacted with my medicine.

Hard to say for sure. I think it's normal to try finding a reason for symptoms, but I wonder sometimes if it isn't just the natural course of things. It sounds like you're spacing things apart, so I wouldn't think the enemas would interfere with your medication, but you might try timing the enema to your usual bowel pattern, to keep with your body's natural rhythm. 

Does lemon help?

I found lemon water really helpful first thing on rising. It's meant to stimulate digestive enzymes, which gets the ball rolling so to speak. And the castor oil pack can help to pull circulation to the area which can promote bowel function. Alternatively, if you can tolerate magnesium, magnesium citrate is another option, but as with anything, start slow. 

I've tried distraction, meditation apps, music, epsom salt baths, walking.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, so keep at it. It will improve slowly but surely and I think time will be your biggest healer. 

@LotusRising Thank you so much. I also have that cement block in my gut. Nothing moves. Ever. The constipation is terrible. I drink ginger tea first thing in the morning because I usually get up in some sort of GI discomfort. I'll see about the lemon water, too. Thank you for mentioning that. I had also not heard of castor oil packs. I'm looking into that. I've been using my heating pad daily.

I've started eating more including leafy greens and hope that helps get things going. I try to drink quite a bit of water in the morning, including warm water which is supposed to help with digestion. I have to cut off drinking water quite early in the day because I already go to the bathroom a lot at night even with the early cut off. I need to sleep and when I wake up, the terror cycle starts.

Do you know if withdrawal prompts more bathroom trips at night?  It seems I shouldn't have to go as much as I do given how early I stop drinking fluids. I don't think this would be the case under normal circumstances. Anyway, thanks so much for everything. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I had also not heard of castor oil packs. I'm looking into that

If you decide to try this route, I would start with only 15 minutes each night and slowly work your way up to longer durations. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Do you know if withdrawal prompts more bathroom trips at night?

Yes, it can. I remember this happening early in WD for me. I think it's related to autonomic dysfunction whereby the body can't regulate fluids properly. I stop drinking at least 3 hours before bed and this seems to work for me. It's also possible your electrolytes are off, or sometimes even drinking too much water for your body to absorb can be a problem. Do you pee a lot during the day also? How much water are you drinking? You could try an electrolyte hydrator if it persists - the right balance will help your body pull the water into cells rather than peeing it all out. 

24 minutes ago, LotusRising said:

If you decide to try this route, I would start with only 15 minutes each night and slowly work your way up to longer durations

Do you have a caster pack that you like or recommend? I think I'm going to try it. Thank you for the tip on starting out slowly. I'll do that. 

24 minutes ago, LotusRising said:

If you decide to try this route, I would start with only 15 minutes each night and slowly work your way up to longer durations. 

Yes, it can. I remember this happening early in WD for me. I think it's related to autonomic dysfunction whereby the body can't regulate fluids properly. I stop drinking at least 3 hours before bed and this seems to work for me. It's also possible your electrolytes are off, or sometimes even drinking too much water for your body to absorb can be a problem. Do you pee a lot during the day also? How much water are you drinking? You could try an electrolyte hydrator if it persists - the right balance will help your body pull the water into cells rather than peeing it all out. 

Ah, OK. Right now I'm only drinking 32 - 40 oz of water because of the excessive night trips. I also drink non-caffeinated tea and bone broth which maybe adds another 30oz of liquid. I stop really early in the day. I go a fair amount in the day but not all the time. It's nighttime where things seem to be out of proportion with what I've had given how early I stop all liquids, which is between noon and 2pm. I go to sleep around 10:00-1030pm and usually the first trip is within an hour. 

I'll look into electrolytes. I'll see what healthy options I can find. I'm trying to eat a super clean diet with all this -- no gluten, no dairy, no caffeine or alcohol, no sugar, only tiny amounts of carbs b/c of how they make me feel, no processed foods. Also a low FODMAP diet to see if it helps with the GI issues. 

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Do you have a caster pack that you like or recommend?

I use the Queen of Thrones pack off Amazon and she also has an option to add the castor oil. I'm sure there are cheaper options, but hers is organic material and doesn't have any chemical additives. I used it consistently for about 2 weeks, always 15-30min, along with the morning lemon water and I had sort of an aha moment where my bowels and digestion sort of sprang back to life. It may have been coincidental, it may not have, but it's now my go-to and it's easy enough to implement without using additional medication or supplements. It's recommended to place a heating pad over the castor oil pack to increase absorption, but I will sometimes use the pack after a bath when my body is already nice and warm.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I go to sleep around 10:00-1030pm and usually the first trip is within an hour. 

Hmm, it could be related to cortisol rising overnight. I believe high cortisol can cause increased urination and while cortisol is supposed to drop at night, it can become dysregulated in WD and rise instead due to stress. I use vega hydrator, again from amazon, but LMNT is a good one too, a little pricey for me in Canada, but maybe more affordable for you in the US. Neither have added sugar - I think they're sweetened with stevia. 

21 hours ago, modelarz71 said:

I dont know much by I try dried prunes too,At the moment I do not have a problem with constipation only with pain and a quick feeling of overfilling the stomach. . I researched that I shouldn't drink yogurt when constipated because it worsens so I prefer kefir which loosens it up. for the pains I've been swallowing some turmeric because I think it's some kind of inflammation of the stomach membrane and I think it helps a little. Lately I've been drinking a glass of special mineral water that reduces hyperacidity and is supposed to help with digestion. Anyway, it doesn't hurt just has a rotten egg smell unfortunately because it contains minerals

In my case such as a little gastroparesis, why WD from SSRIs causes it?
The doctor gives sulpirydum for it because he says it's just nerves. Why does he pretend to know the cause if he doesn't ?

Many psychiatric drugs, and others, can cause damage to the vagus nerve which causes gastroparesis.  Also mineral water should not typically smell like rotten eggs.  Shop around and find one that doesn't.

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  • currently 2024 still on 96 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

43 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Do you have a caster pack that you like or recommend? I think I'm going to try it. Thank you for the tip on starting out slowly. I'll do that. 

Ah, OK. Right now I'm only drinking 32 - 40 oz of water because of the excessive night trips. I also drink non-caffeinated tea and bone broth which maybe adds another 30oz of liquid. I stop really early in the day. I go a fair amount in the day but not all the time. It's nighttime where things seem to be out of proportion with what I've had given how early I stop all liquids, which is between noon and 2pm. I go to sleep around 10:00-1030pm and usually the first trip is within an hour. 

I'll look into electrolytes. I'll see what healthy options I can find. I'm trying to eat a super clean diet with all this -- no gluten, no dairy, no caffeine or alcohol, no sugar, only tiny amounts of carbs b/c of how they make me feel, no processed foods. Also a low FODMAP diet to see if it helps with the GI issues. 

There are a lot of sites on the internet that help one make their own castor oil packs.  I  bought the materials on Amazon and made my own.  It is more expensive to buy the pre-made ones.

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

@LotusRising I saw the Queen of Thrones pack, too, when I searched and that one looked the best to me so I'm glad you mentioned that you have and like it. And I'll definitely look into the electrolyte drinks. Thanks so much for all your help.

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

@savinggrace great idea to make your own -- thanks for responding.

• 1996 Effexor XR
  • 2012 Paxil 40mg
  • 2012 Xanax XR 6mg

You’re welcome. You can make a pack and keep it in the refrigerator. I am never sure how long to re-use them though? I really haven’t given them a good try, admittedly, but I did make them. 😀