lexicon: off ADs for 2 months and in horrible distress

lexicon

Yes you are right ..I just need to remember those words ..

I have always admired your wonderful take on things, no matter how adverse the situation.

You take good care, sweet meimei ..:)

It is a treat to "see " you ..:)

Many hugs, Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lexicon

• abir

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

did your wave continue to get better? did you get any relief in the afternoon??

i felt better in the afternoon... i hope you did too...

have a good and peaceful night..

oh, did you see the message i sent you??

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

Aww, here you are Abir :) I was starting to get concerned ..

The wave lasted all day into the night ..:( I had an app with the pdoc, and could not carry myself at all ..

Today it was a bit easier, but kind of picked up in the afternoon again ..

I am happy that you got some relief too ..Oh what a beast this is Abir ..!!

As far as the supplements having to do with this, I do not think so, because it is only Omega 3 and vitamin C ..

I am wishing you a restful night ..sweet dreams ..

Abir, which message? No I have not seen one ..I checked email too, unless it went to spam ..I will look ..

Sleep tight ..xx

Lexi

Hello,

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

How did u make out with the dr.? I SO hate going to the dr. Now....so much baggage.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Oooh, it was a nightmare meimei ..:( I had a terrible wave, that I could not walk without aid ..

Anyway, the last 3weeks or so, I have been having shortness of breath, plus a low grade, constant heart beat that is Bizzare.,

plus a hurting burning stomach ..and then my ever present head issues ..

He suggested acupuncture, or biofeedback, or hypnosis for the anxiety symptoms ..He also said that I need to start thinking of tapering the Ativan ..He said that my breathing issue is Ativan related ..

What you think?

Sending you healing thoughts and prayers ..xx

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I think he sounds pretty smart! Are any of those possibilities for you? My opinion (having never met you, ha!) is that your brain isn't ready for benzo withdrawal yet. But maybe I'm thinking that because I know I'm not ready for benzo withdrawal yet.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

I really need my head to clear up, so that I can educate myself on each of those suggestions ..

I read here an article that Janie wrote about the benefits of acupuncture ..

As for the benzo taper, I try to educate myself on that too ..It is a foreign subject to me, as I do not understantd

the tapering procedures at all.!!

But it creates issues, that I would love to be able to get rid of it ..

Hugs ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Lexi,

everyone is saying how sensitive we are during withdrawal, even to food that we used to eat all the time.. so even omega3 and vitamin C may make your symptoms worse when you increase the dose, at least when you do it too fast... i know you are trying to get more omega3 and vit C, but again, don't think of them as harmless, not while you are in withdrawal...

you are so right, it is so hard to think or make sense of the information we read when our brain is mostly dead... and it must be even harder for you because you are dealing with 2 meds... but you have been doing great at handling this so far.... hang in there...

breathing issue: maybe it is both, the withdrawal AND the Ativan...i don't pretend that i am knowledgeable with these things but again, since it is common knowledge that we become too sensitive to everything during withdrawal, maybe you have become sensitive to Ativan too (since the breathing issues are side effects of it and if you became sensitive to ativan, you could experience side effects on a dose that did not give you side effects before)... try to get more opinions on whether it is time to go lower on the ativan... do not necessarily start the whole tapering process yet, but maybe just go down a little bit and see how you feel...

hang in there... you are stronger than you think...

sending you warm and comforting thoughts... abir

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:

It was with great anticipation, going to see Dr. Shipko yesterday ..

I found him to be extremely easy to talk with, candid and very patient,

listening to my story.

He explained that at this point, 4-5 months after dropping the SSRI 'S, the symptoms are not WD any longer.

He called the condition Neurotoxicity ..He said that there is nothing that can be done for it ..That it's duration could last up to 7 years ..:(

Reinstating is out of the question ..

There is no need to see him again, he said, because there is nothing further that he can do to help...

My heart sank a few times during the discussion, and had an overwhelming uneasiness about what the future holds .. There was so much to talk about, that I regret forgetting to ask his opinion as to why is it, that most of my distressful symptoms are happening in my head ..:(

But, on the other hand, I was happy to have met with Dr.Shipko, and listen to his thoughts about the situation that all of us here, are confronted with ..)

Thank you for reading this ..

Wishing everyone hurting, peace, wellness, and most of all speedy healing ..xx

Lexicon

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hi Lexi,

I've read some of your postings in other threads. I gather you are having a rough time of it. It's a disappointment that this particular doc has nothing to offer you but you know there are other avenues to explore. Please let us know how you are doing.

Sending you good thoughts!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I appreciate your response so very much Cymbalta ..Thank you for your encouraging words ..

I wish I knew what other avenues are there ..Please share, I will be thankful ..

Wishing you blessings ..

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Just wantred to let you know lexi that I know a lady who saw Dr shipko, he said the same to her about 7 years, 1 year into withdrawal she is nearly fully healed. xx wish that was the case for me

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

Lets just keep the faith sweet Iggy ..

That is what we have to hang on too ..And we must ..

Who 's to say that we cannot be blessed the same way too ..

Thinking of you, and praying for your well being ..xx

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Lexi,

I'm sorry for this discouraging visit and agree with Iggy that this seems to be a dire worst case prognosis. Did he offer you ANY suggestions or options?

I just noticed that you, too, had a bad experience with a detox facility (in S. California?). Inexplicably horrid; I understand TOO well.

Hang in there.

B~

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi B, thank you for writing ..

Indeed it was a dire diagnosis ..The last two years I have been home bound, because of my circumstances, and so he suggested

eating healthy, and be kind to myself in general...Not to exert, etc.

And I got a bit of satisfaction, because he had some strong words, for doctors prescribing these types of pharmaceuticals so freely.

And yes B, a detox clinic here in S. CA tapered abruptly ..:(

Thank you for your care ..Wishing you wellness, and many blessings ..xx

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Who 's to say that we cannot be blessed the same way too ..

exactly... don't give up... we can't give up... we won't give up...

reinstating AD:

and there must be other doctors

reinstating AD:

Abir, I posted on latest discussions as a new thread ..It is not there ..

they moved it without saying that they would ..:(

To the last page on my thread ..:(

I feel depressed about it ..because now people will not be able to see it and respond ..:( It would have been nice to learn how people cope ..Maybe learn something, not thought of before, to help deal with this debilitating situation ..

How sad is that ..!!

How are you this evening? I hope very well ..

Thinking of you, xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

i think we can't have more than one thread per user in the instructions and and updates forum..

people will see it..

reinstating AD:

You are right ..

I neglected to think of that, in my desperation to maybe be helped with people responding ..I hope to be forgiven for my error ..

xx Lexi

You did not say how your day went ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

i don't think this is such a big error :)

i spent my whole day lying on the couch.. but i am better now... much better.. i don't feel dizzy or lightheaded when i stand up... my appetite is better.. all done with the crying :)

reinstating AD:

Abir, that is wonderful ..:) It will spill over, and you will have a restful night ..:)

I think it is a window ..:) Awesome ..Yup, keep walking ..:)

xx many hugs ..:)

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Thank you Lexi..

i hope you are feeling better too...

many hugs...

abir

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

i think we can't have more than one thread per user in the instructions and and updates forum..

people will see it..

I didn't move your post, but Abir is correct in that all of a member's posts, including questions about their personal journey through AD withdrawal, should be added to their Intro thread. Posting elsewhere in hopes of getting more attention will likely just get your post moved where it belongs by a moderator.

Posts in areas such as "Symptoms and self-care", "Tapering", et cetera should be topics of general interest. The only exception I can think of at the moment is the benzo mini-forum, where members are encouraged to post regarding their own experiences with benzodiazepine dependence and withdrawal issues.

Posting in your Intro thread will save us mods some time that can be used to help someone in need.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Lexi,

How did Dr. Shipko explain that what you are experiencing is NOT withdrawal and IS neurotoxicity? That is different than my understanding but perhaps just semantics..?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thank you Jemima, I appreciate you reiterating the rule ..

I am sorry, I did not intend to inconvenience ..

Point taken, and error will not be repeated ..

Also thank you as I learned additional information of interest :)

Sending you thoughts of healing, and wellness..

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hi B, Dr.Shipko said that withdrawals are cased by stopping medications.

Neurotoxicity is caused by taking the medications.

So withdrawals run their course, and then abate .

.But Neutotoxicity remains and causes havoc to our system. It takes many years for the body to get back on track.

I wonder how you understand it, and would appreciate knowing your take on it.

Thank you B :)

Xx Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Dearest Lexi,

That was not what I was expecting! Nor you, I know. In a short Google, what this tells me is that it's going to be important to use your brain a lot, and feed it well. I know it was probably hard to think of the topics you wanted to cover...did you discuss the Ativan? I wonder what people think about starting a slow taper? Does someone fix your food?

Being silly...I think your head hurts because your brain hurts :)

I am reading a book about how the brain can rebuild, but I haven't gotten to the punch line yet

Hugs, Meimei

56 years old

Lexi,

I agree that drugs cause neurotoxicity and the body goes through stages and waves and windows to recover and rebuild. I'm not aware of there being a certain delineating point that withdrawal ceases. These drugs do not produce cravings like typical drugs of addiction which one might equate with "withdrawal". Perhaps he is using "withdrawal" to refer to the timeframe that reinstatement is possible. Just a guess, though!

There are many explanations floating around out there. We may be splitting hairs on terminology. I just hadn't heard this wording previously. Perhaps Alto will weigh in.

Either way, the suggestions remain the same.

A couple of thoughts about Dr.Shipko.

First, his diagnosis about Neurotoxicity, is nothing new;we all know that these toxic drugs cause neuro-injury.You may call it w/d,or Neurotoxicity, it`s just a matter of semantics.

Second, it was indeed a dire prognosis, but you don`t know how or how long your recovery is going to be.

Statistics talk about 24-36 months as a media, then we can talk about the "aftermath" kind of thing

Third, I do believe in the power of the spirit; I have known about Drs. who came out with diagnosis that were completely wrong at the end. I am a 60 yr old man, with very difficult personal situation;but I want to live. and to live the best way I can, for whatever the time is left for me.And let me tell you that in spite of all the odds against me, after 10 months off a powerful drug like Effexor, I`ve been noticing important improvement in my symptoms, and if I keep doing like this, I know that the months ahead are going to be better.I don`t know how long it`s gonna take but I try to live by the day.

And last, if you are 5 months off, you are indeed in the worst part of w/d, but the good news is that it gets better; I can tell you that b/c I`ve been there.

Drs. and Psychiatrists, I don`t trust them.

Hang in there. "THIS TOO SHALL PASS"

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Dearest Lexi,

That was not what I was expecting! Nor you, I know. In a short Google, what this tells me is that it's going to be important to use your brain a lot, and feed it well. I know it was probably hard to think of the topics you wanted to cover...did you discuss the Ativan? I wonder what people think about starting a slow taper? Does someone fix your food?

Being silly...I think your head hurts because your brain hurts :)

I am reading a book about how the brain can rebuild, but I haven't gotten to the punch line yet

Hugs, Meimei

Hi sweet and dear meimei ..:)

I wonder who I can ask who has knowledge about titrating Ativan, for an opinion to do a slow taper ..?

I am certain that some of my head issues, the breathing and been unable to be steady on my feet, are Ativan related ..

The doctor said to wait ..

Above you said that I need to use my brain a lot and feed it well ..What do you mean meimei? Are you suggesting Omega 3 's or something like that?

Thank you for your support meimei. I appreciate you very much ..() I always pray that you are well and peaceful ..

many hugs ..xx Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

lexicon, I'm sorry Dr. Shipko couldn't help you.

He and I have a long-term disagreement over terminology. He doesn't use the term "prolonged withdrawal syndrome." He uses "neurotoxicity" instead.

One way or the other, neurological plasticity takes over and the brain heals itself with time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

lexicon, I'm sorry Dr. Shipko couldn't help you.

He and I have a long-term disagreement over terminology. He doesn't use the term "prolonged withdrawal syndrome." He uses "neurotoxicity" instead.

One way or the other, neurological plasticity takes over and the brain heals itself with time.

Aww, dear Alto, I am heartbroken, as I went to see him with a hopeful heart ..It certainly was a challenge to be taken to him, as I am home bound for the last two years.

I am so happy you are here, to explain Dr. Shipko's terminology.

You are absolutely right ..At one point he did say that the "withdrawal " word was used for lack of better words ..Neurotoxicity is the correct word.

He gave you a wonderful compliment, making a comment on your vast knowledge ..:)

I wonder if you have any thoughts about my Ativan problem ..What to do ..

With immense gratitude, for all you do ..

Be well ..Lexicon

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Lexi,

I agree that drugs cause neurotoxicity and the body goes through stages and waves and windows to recover and rebuild. I'm not aware of there being a certain delineating point that withdrawal ceases. These drugs do not produce cravings like typical drugs of addiction which one might equate with "withdrawal". Perhaps he is using "withdrawal" to refer to the timeframe that reinstatement is possible. Just a guess, though!

There are many explanations floating around out there. We may be splitting hairs on terminology. I just hadn't heard this wording previously. Perhaps Alto will weigh in.

Either way, the suggestions remain the same.

Dear B,

Alto did weigh in, explaining Dr. Shipko 's terminology ..

Thank you for your care ..Thank Goodness we have the shared knowledge of us, who have and are going through it, to help guide us ..

Sending you healing thoughts ..xx

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

A couple of thoughts about Dr.Shipko.

First, his diagnosis about Neurotoxicity, is nothing new;we all know that these toxic drugs cause neuro-injury.You may call it w/d,or Neurotoxicity, it`s just a matter of semantics.

Second, it was indeed a dire prognosis, but you don`t know how or how long your recovery is going to be.

Statistics talk about 24-36 months as a media, then we can talk about the "aftermath" kind of thing

Third, I do believe in the power of the spirit; I have known about Drs. who came out with diagnosis that were completely wrong at the end. I am a 60 yr old man, with very difficult personal situation;but I want to live. and to live the best way I can, for whatever the time is left for me.And let me tell you that in spite of all the odds against me, after 10 months off a powerful drug like Effexor, I`ve been noticing important improvement in my symptoms, and if I keep doing like this, I know that the months ahead are going to be better.I don`t know how long it`s gonna take but I try to live by the day.

And last, if you are 5 months off, you are indeed in the worst part of w/d, but the good news is that it gets better; I can tell you that b/c I`ve been there.

Drs. and Psychiatrists, I don`t trust them.

Hang in there. "THIS TOO SHALL PASS"

You are so right Alex,

I agree with you on each point ..I too share your thoughts about the power of the spirit ..I am not far behind you, and was distraught with the Dr.'s estimation that this will last 7 years :(

I am proud of you, and the wonderful progress you have made ..I pray to be able to get there too ..

Thank you for your generous spirit ..For the support and encouragement ..:)

I will pray for your continued success :)

Wishing peaceful wellness for you ..xx

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Lexi,

i hope you are feeling a little better now after you read all these posts... it seems that everyone agrees that Dr Shipko did not say any thing new really - no matter what he calls it, he is saying the same thing everyone here has been saying for a long time.. yes, our brains have been harmed by the meds, and yes our brains can recover, and yes it takes time, it may take **up to** 7 years to heal completely, but even then, that does not mean that we will have all these symptoms... and at the same intensity level...

I really hope you are feeling better now and you are no longer worried about what Dr Shipko said...

reinstating AD: