lexicon: off ADs for 2 months and in horrible distress

lexicon

that is great news lexi... i am so happy that you are getting better... this is so great :)

i am having a wave i think... it is not too bad but i am disappointed (i mean, i have not started tapering yet)... just 2 days ago i was getting frustrated with my brain (it is still very hard for me to read, concentrate or to do anything that requires thinking, my memory is still very bad, and i am still spending lots of time lying in bed, still too tired) but after re-living this anxiety today, i should be grateful for any day without anxiety/despair, no matter how dead my brain is!!

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lexicon

• abir

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

hello Lexi!! how are you doing these days?

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:

Yes, Lexi, you've been so welcoming and careful with us all while you've been suffering, I too have to ask along with everyone else, how are you doing? Is it getting better? .... I do hope so after the positive signs you've had ...

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference

Hi Katie :)

Such a sweet surprise .. :) Thank you for thinking of me .. :)

I am trying to taper the Ativan, because it is causing symptoms ..With the help of two angels .. :)

But I need to get stable first, and then start the taper. But it is not happening

quick enough ..I quess I need to learn patience ..

How are you Katie? How are you feeling?

Sending you thoughts of wellness and healing.

xx Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

Hi Abir,

So good to find you here .. :) I did write to you, but you have not seen it yet :)

How are you Abir? I hope the nasty wave is gone, and that you are enjoying some

peace ..

Things are the same here ..Trying to get stable, so /that I can taper.

But it is a process that takes time ..

Please write and tell me your news, ss I think of you and praying for your well

being.

xx Lexi

Hello,

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

oh that is good, it seems that you are still feeling better than before, even though you are not stable yet.. you are right, things need time and you are on the right track now... i am so happy for you :)

the wave is still here... but some days I only have anxiety (no despair or crying ).. and the anxiety is mild to moderate - i don't seem to get that extreme and totally overwhelming anxiety anymore...

you wrote to me? let me check :)

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lexi,

we were just discussing this in another topic. For some of us it takes more time to stabilise than others - months instead of weeks.

But little by little, we are getting better.

I'm sending healing thoughts your way x

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lexi,

we were just discussing this in another topic. For some of us it takes more time to stabilise than others - months instead of weeks.

But little by little, we are getting better.

I'm sending healing thoughts your way x

Hi Basil.. I'm just thinking there may be a paradoxical reaction at work here, in which case holding may not have a strong salutary effect.  What do you think? The picture has not been clear as interdose WD seemed to be at work, but Lexi shifted most of her dosing (she is doing the last now..), and it's now 5 times a day, so that variable is no longer/will no longer be in play.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi Lexi

Good to hear from you! I do hope you are feeling much better than when I joined about a month ago, you were having such a horrible time then. I'm so glad you are feeling better and can start to look forward :)

I too am learning patience. I'm still so very tired during the day, like I can fall asleep at my desk just like that. But I am sleeping well :unsure: . Also breathless to the point of wondering whether I'm anaemic (not a usual problem of mine) so I'm going to have my blood tested for Hb. :unsure:

So I'm going day by day, giving myself one task a day after work. Today I planted some bedding plants! B)

I guess it will take as long as it takes... Have you seen Hudgeon's thread? It's quite heartening. :)

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference

Hi Basil,

Thank you for your well wishing, I appreciated very much :)

I hope you have solved your Valium dilemma ..

I wonder which topic you and Sky were discussing the issue at ..I would love to read it.

Wishing you wellness Basil ..You are always so very sweet and supportive .. :)

Be well xx

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I am on liquid Lorezapam, trying to get stable, so that I can start tapering.

But there is a problem, that I need help with.

I dose 5 times a day, and encounter issues about 20 minutes after taking the 8pm dose,

and the 1 am dose.

Symptoms include a hard heart beat, head pressure and some kind of feeling that the skin on my head is crawling, nausea, blurry vision, burning stomach, difficulty breathing.

These symptoms alternate with the other doses ..For example, today it was the 6 am dose

and the 10:30 am dose with symptoms. But the day is not over yet.

I wish that someone with knowledge would come forth, and help,

as I am deeply concerned, as to why this is happening, and do not know what to do.

I have posted my concerns in the Benzo forum, and thought to include here too.

Thank you very much for any thoughts, or suggestions."

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

hey Lexi... so your symptoms are still getting worse right after dosing? sorry to hear that... but then, doesn't this mean that your symptoms are not caused by your AD withdrawal or benzo inter-dose withdrawal... more like side effects from benzo... did you get these symptoms when you first started taking Ativan?? did it give you side effects?

i am still the same... the anxiety is not bad really... it is just because i am too exhausted and overwhelmed, that even a mild anxiety is hard to deal with.... for now, if my total physical and mental exhaustion get better then i will be happy and whatever anxiety is left would be much easier to deal with...my brain still sucks.. it is so hard for me to even write a short email... or even have a coherent conversation with someone.. but again, at least, i am not in torture every minute of the day and night like i was a while ago...

reinstating AD:

Abir, because of the problems with the AD 'S at the time, it was hard to figure out what was what.

All the Ativan issues surfaced in May, when I noticed that it was causing distress

and was not covering.

The symptoms after dosing, came later ..I think you may be right, and they are

side effects. But what to do for that, if indeed that is the case?

The plan is to get stable ..But who knows how long that will take ..

Anyway, I freak out thinking about it .. :) My brain is like you are describing yours ..

I am sorry that you are going through all that Abir ..I wonder if you started your taper, it things will get better ..I sure hope so ..

You are such a sweet heart..Thank you so much for your care .. :)

Hang in there Abir, better days are coming ..

Sending you love and blessings, Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

well, if your symptoms are side effects then you would benefit from lowering the dose... but again, i don't really know anything about this stuff...

me: no i won't be starting tapering any time soon... i need to give my body more time to recover... my CFS symptoms always got worse after any kind of stress/activity even if i just go shopping.. i can't add to the stress that my body was and still is under, the stress caused by AD withdrawal...

yes, i hope so, better days for you and me and everyone here ...

reinstating AD:

Yes, I hope so Abir ..If this is paradoxical or adverse ..

But I need to stabilize first, before tapering.

What wicked drugs these are .. :( They create havoc to our bodies ..

How are you Abir? I hope you continue to feel good.

Please write when time permits, as I miss your presence .

Love, Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hey... i am ok... the WD symptoms are mild, but my exhaustion and brain fog are still bad..

are you seeing any improvements in your symptoms as time goes by?

reinstating AD:

I am so glad you are doing better Abir .. :) The rest needs time to go away ..just hang in there.

my situation has not improved, so am going back to tablets.

If yoi feel like reading, there is some new stuff on "paradoxical reaction? ..please help "

Take good care of you Abir,

love, Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Dear Lexi,

Thanks for your note on my thread. I have missed your sweet comments to everyone...thought you were doing really well or really badly, then I saw your tapering thread last night...heavy sigh. I have had 2 breathing episodes this week, nothing like yours but they made me think of you. Really not fun! This is the slowest year of my life, and I'm sure you feel the same. I really, really hope your benzo dose gets straightened out soon. You need a break!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

how are you doing now Lexi? are you still taking liquid Ativan?

reinstating AD:

Abir, I have missed you ..How are you? I think of you, and have been meaning to write, but have been dealing with wave after wave .. :(

Abir, I took the liquid for 2 weeks hoping to get stable.

It did not work .. :( The liquid was causing distressful symptoms, which were

becoming frightening ..And so, I quit and am now back on the tablets. I don't know why my system rejected the liquid ..maybe the solvants in it?

Waiting to get stable on those, and see what to do next ..

I have been suffering with these withdrawals, every day and night.

Please write and tell me how you are ..Thank you for thinking of me Abir ..You are so very kind and sweet ..

Love, Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hello Lexi, I am thinking of you; I had one bad night last night.

Today I feel so sad and discouraged.

I am trying to find meaning to all this ordeal, but it's hard.

I have seen some improvement, but it is really hard.

Hugs, A.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Awww, Alex .. :( I am saddened to hear that .. :(

I think of you, and wish that you will find healing and peace ..

What did we get ourselves into Alex ..? What a horrible injustice on humanity

is this ..?

But, we have to be optimistic and hopeful that our time for wellness will come ..

Lets remember the sweet and encouraging words of a dear friend ..

" keep walking, just keep walking "..

Love, Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Can someone help please?

I have been having Ativan problems.

Trying liquid Ativan to prepare for taper did not work, and I had to give it up

after being on it for two weeks, and go back to tablets.

The problem is that I am suffering from breathing problems ..I feel like my body is starving for air.

There is a hollow feeling in my chest, that un-nerves me.

Does anyone here go through this?

Also, there are some kind of irritating smells that sneak up my nose,

that also prevent me from breathing.

Doing some research on this, I found on Wikipedia that the condition is called

Hyperosmia, a word of Greek origin that is caused by the use of benzos.

I wonder it anyone here is suffering from this, and how do you handle it.

It seems that no matter what I do, like covering my nose with hands or arms, these smells find their way to my sinus, day or night, especially after having taken

a dose of Ativan.

Any thoughts will be appreciated ..Thank you ..

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I am sorry for you Lexi; I really don't know what to say;all I know is that there is a pletora of bizarre symptoms due to these meds.

I got a book called "RECOVERY AND RENEWAL" about benzo and antidepressants withdrawal.I found it helpfull.

I bought it in Amazon.

My spirit is with you.This too shall pass.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

Lexi.. reading books written by people who have gone thru benzo WD is a good idea.  Why don't you check out the book Alex recommends.  There may be other books forum members can recommend as well. You might feel empowered reading the accounts of other people who have come off benzos.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

so sorry you are still suffering Lexi... when did you switch back to tablets? do you think that lowering the dose a bit would help since your symptoms seem to get worse right after you dose? 

reinstating AD:

This is a great idea Sky ..I did order the book that Alex is reading .. :)

How are you Sky?

Missed your presence.

I hope all is well with you ..Have you started the Valium taper?

xx Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Awww Abir, what did we get ourselves into?

This situation is the greatest human injustice.. :(

I am saddened that you had a step back ..I guess this is how it goes with this, but eventually

there will be smooth sailing ahead.

So try and hang in there ..Don't loose hope ..

As for me, I do not know which direction to go ..My doctor will not prescribe Valium to cross over to that, and get rid of the Ativan.

Meantime, I suffer with breathing issues, head pressure, etc.

Thinking of you Abir always, and wishing for your well being.

Love, Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a great idea Sky ..I did order the book that Alex is reading .. :)How are you Sky?Missed your presence.I hope all is well with you ..Have you started the Valium taper?xx Lexi

There are a number of good books.. you should feel a little less alone for the reading.

I took my first cut in a year just today!!!  YAYYYY

My doctor will not prescribe Valium to cross over to that, and get rid of the Ativan.

Lexi, you are going to need to find a different doctor.  The only option you have not explored vis-a-vis Ativan is mixing your own liquid, but after your recent experience, I'm reluctant to suggest you try.

You might be able to find a geriatrician who will help.. a kind of doc who has lots of patience, maybe someone who is a tad unorthodox in a good sort of way.  My own GP was a  pathologist before he switched to gerontology and became a hospice Doc...

I'm enjoying watching you reach out and network with other folks on this site... you're doin good.  But then you know that. :)

Sky, those are some wonderful suggestions..I will try to find the kind of doctor you are suggesting.

Meantime, I need to find a way to start tapering the Ativan.

Is "Lexicons liquid thread " out of business for now?

I too thought to resolve the tablets in water and try that ..But where do I find

help as to how to do that?

I have also thought to dry cut ..But how to do that? How much to take etc.I don't know ..

If you can direct me, I would appreciate that.

Congratulations on making your first cut Sky :) What had you crossed to V from?

Wishing you success with your taper :)

Love, Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Responded to on the benzo sub forum.

Sky, you got me ..Cannot find the benzo sub forum :(

What thread is this?

Thanks Sky ..

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sky, you got me ..Cannot find the benzo sub forum :(What thread is this?Thanks Sky ..

You have a thread there on paradoxical reactions. 

I found it ..Thank you ..

did not know that was called a sub forum ..

I asked MrA how he tapered his Ativan..

Maybe I will ask Jerome too.

I think RU maybe busy now with the wedding.I consulted with a doctor, who suggested a switch to Klonopin.

The concern with that was that it was a direct switch, no slow cross over.

Do you think that maybe Rhi might be able to offer some help Sky?

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

I found it ..Thank you ..did not know that was called a sub forum ..I asked MrA how he tapered his Ativan..Maybe I will ask Jerome too.I think RU maybe busy now with the wedding.I consulted with a doctor, who suggested a switch to Klonopin.The concern with that was that it was a direct switch, no slow cross over.

I don't think Mr. A. needed to taper...

This really belongs in the benzo sub forum.. that said, I guess the question is do you have enough of a supply Ativan to taper off while you cross taper to klonopin.  You may be able to get some help here, though you may find Jerome is more vested in micro managing than you need. I'm afraid I'm not the person to ask about making liquid benzos, including K.  There are other forums offering help in this area.

My GP will write script for Ativan, but I have enough for now,

with a refill available ..The doctor I consulted prescribed K tablets.

I have not yet picked up the K.

Why do I need liquid K if I have the tablets Sky?

I just need to know a method to cross to K, and not just switch abruptly ..

Thanks for being there Sky ..Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.