ByeByeSSRI: tapering paroxetine after 24 years - started aged 10

ByeByeSSRI

Original title:  Tapering off of paroxetine after 24 years of use (started at 10 years old)

Hello friends-

I'm 18 months into slowly tapering off of 40mg of paroxetine (currently taking 7mg/day). I'm a 34M and I started taking this drug when I was 10 years old. I was originally put on it because I was experiencing panic attacks and was diagnosed "OCD" (a label that I no long identify with). Here's an abridged version of my story:

When I was 9, I came down with a horrible case of food poisoning and spent a week vomiting. I eventually healed but what resulted was a fear of germs, vomiting, and a general sense of panic. I started having panic attacks and stomach aches which led to my doctors performing a variety of stomach/digestive tests before ultimately realizing I had developed some sort of "mental illness."

I was put on 10mg of paroxetine which soon was raised to 20mg/day. I remained on 20mg/day until I turned 30 years old in 2018. A that time, I was experiencing a lot of life/work stress and so my doctor and I decided it was time to double my dose from 20mg/day to 40mg/day. What resulted was months of manic-like behavior and 4 months of constant suicidal ideation (both of which I had never experienced). Eventually, these symptoms calmed down and I continued at 40mg/day, still convinced that the paroxetine was "medicine balancing out my 'broken brain.'"

When COVID hit in 2020, I experienced a new level of panic and uncertainty. After processing the traumatic experience of increasing my dosage to 40mg, I started to become more weary of running to my doctors for solutions. I looked elsewhere for mental health treatment and discovered a powerful meditation/breathing technique class over zoom. For the next year (during quarantine) I started meditating/breathing, journaling, doing yoga, etc.

I think this experience started to help me to "reconnect" with myself, seeing how I had become pretty emotionally numb over the years. In April of 2021, I was struck with a powerful thought one night while sitting on the couch: "It's time to come off the pills."

I had tried to taper off my paroxetine twice before, once in high school and once in college. I tried twice because the idea of taking brain-altering drugs for the rest of my life never sat quite right with me. However, in both of these experiences, I tapered too quickly (over the course of a month or two) and was devastated by the withdrawal effects. What made the experience worse was that I didn't realize I was experiencing withdrawal. My doctor at the time simply told me that I was experiencing was "me" and that this was proof that the drugs were helping. This experience made me admit defeat and I stopped doing any research about tapering. I resigned to taking paroxetine for the rest of my life.

But by 2021, the amount of information we have on tapering off SSRIs is incredible! Due to the wonderful advocating work of you all and many others like you, I started learning everything I could about slowly tapering and the predicable withdrawal symptoms most of us experience. I read "Your Drug May Be Your Problem", the Heather Ashton manual (which I realize is geared a bit more towards benzos), as well as Will Hall's Guide to Harm Reduction. "Medicating Normal" also has a variety of videos with informative conversations with doctors and researchers of psych drugs and the harms they cause.

I'm now 18 months into my third (and final) taper off of paroxetine. I wanted to join this forum to share my story and prove to others (like so many of you have done or are doing) that it IS possible to come off these drugs. It IS possible to heal. The journey is long and very difficult, but I am so thankful to have hope back into my life. I'm feeling more, the "good" and the "bad".

I still have a ways to go, but I'm a bit more in "the flow" these days. The withdrawal symptoms are predictable and I've been experiencing what seems like a very common pattern of "windows" and "waves." All of this reassures me that nothing has gone wrong, in fact it's all going right.

I'm so thankful for my wife for sticking with me through all of this as it has not been easy on her. My love for her has only grown. I've lost some friends due to the pharmaceutical rollercoaster I was on a few years back, but I managed to keep my job and I'm thankful my life didn't completely fall apart.

I guess I'll end this here. I am curious to know if there are any people on this forum that have been on their drug since childhood? I often worry that the long-term use of paroxetine during my most developmental years will somehow come back to haunt me years from now. But I think that's simply fear. I like to think that our bodies can heal from these drugs, given enough time and support.

I wish you all the best. Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat
added original topic title

1998- 2018        20mg paroxetine (.5mg of Ativan taken "as needed" but never daily or even weekly. Took my last Ativan sometime during 2020)

2018- 4/21        40mg paroxetine              8/20/22             8mg paroxetine

5/30/21             30mg paroxetine              9/8/22               7mg paroxetine 

8/4/21               20mg paroxetine              Supplements: magnesium, lithium orotate, vitamin D, Lion's Mane, and occasionally L-Theanine)

10/11/21            17.5mg paroxetine            (I was a nightly herb smoker from 1/20–8/22. I've also reduced my alcohol from 1-2 drinks a night to ~1 drink/week)

11/8/21              16.2mg paroxetine           LINK TO MY INTRO

11/19/21            15mg paroxetine

1/6/22               13.5mg paroxetine

2/20/22            slowly tapered to 10mg paroxetine (rested here for 6 months)

4/1/23 Still slowly tapering. Currently at 4mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to ByeByeSSRI: tapering paroxetine after 24 years - started aged 10
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Congratulations for getting down to 7 mg of paroxetine!  It sounds as if you are coping with the tapering and withdrawal really well, and have some good on the ground support from your wife.  Your strong attitude and perseverance shine though your post, and will continue to serve you well as you complete your taper.  

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs and supplements you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only specific dates, include the day (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day), drug names, and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this example:

Feb 15 2020 - June 30 2020 - 25mg citalopram, 2mg xanax

July 1 2020 - Sept 7 2020 - 50 mg citalopram, 4 mg xanax

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we generally taper by 10% of the current dose no more than once every 4 weeks, so that the reduction becomes exponentially smaller.  It is especially important to taper very slowly and cautiously as we get to the lower doses.  

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering Paroxetine/Paxil

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Yes, there are many people here who have been on the drug since childhood.  The one that comes to mind is sunflower414, who was put on psych meds at age 7, and is currently doing a Paxil taper.  Here is her thread: 

Sunflower414: Medicated at Age 7 Now 27

Here are others put on drugs at a young age: 

ItsNearlyMedlessKateAgain

Kikkirimo009: Ten Plus Years Now Trying This

Frank85: Need Help and Advice

EttaLou: Looking for SupportAriel: Protracted Withdrawal and PAWSAriel: Protracted Withdrawal and PAWS

Ariel: Protracted Withdrawal and Paws

When we see specifics about your taper, we can help you to fine tune it, so that we can help you to cut back on some of the withdrawal symptoms.  We look forward to hearing back from you.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you GetOffLex! I updated my signature and am excited to read through all of the links you've provided. Also, a BIG congratulations to you for becoming psych drug free! That is certainly my goal.

In addition to updating my signature, I wanted to mention that my goal is complete sobriety. Over this past summer, I watched my herb and alcohol intake slowly increase. I watched the shame arise in me due to this and I tried to become mindful every time I'd reach for an outside source to make me happy or relieve the emotional pain. "Did it work?" I'd ask myself. Slowly, I started to realize that no, it wasn't helping. (However, I do believe herb was very helpful for me at the very beginning of my journey. However, I'm not endorsing it and please let me know if I'm crossing a guideline with any of this writing).

I'm in a "psych med sobriety" support group and a lot of the members are also AA folks. I listened to their stories and about a month ago, quit herb cold turkey and am considering dropping alcohol all together. I've noticed huge improvements since making these changes.

You mentioned my support system and my attitude and I credit these two things (along with exercise/diet changes) as some of the most effective things for me. I spent a long time angry about being put on paroxetine so young, angry that I took the pills for as long as I did, angry that I kept it "secret" from so many people in my life, etc etc etc.

While I think it's important to grieve and process what happened in our past, I also slowly realized that this type of thinking was keeping me stuck. I kept asking "Why is this happening TO me?" and started asking, "Why is this happening FOR me?" 

I think human beings have an enormous capacity for inner-strength but that strength must be cultivated, usually through some type of struggle. My support group has helped me reframe withdrawal as a "wonderful opportunity to cultivate my inner-strength." WOW, that's powerful stuff.

Withdrawal also gives us the opportunity to establish healthy eating habits, sleeping habits, and better thinking habits. I also now start my mornings one of two ways: some quiet time (preferably outside) for meditation/journaling/gratitude practice. OR a hardy workout. If I do one of these two routines every morning, my day's becoming much more meaningful. The tough days are tough, but they are only temporary.

We are all stronger than we may realize. 

1998- 2018        20mg paroxetine (.5mg of Ativan taken "as needed" but never daily or even weekly. Took my last Ativan sometime during 2020)

2018- 4/21        40mg paroxetine              8/20/22             8mg paroxetine

5/30/21             30mg paroxetine              9/8/22               7mg paroxetine 

8/4/21               20mg paroxetine              Supplements: magnesium, lithium orotate, vitamin D, Lion's Mane, and occasionally L-Theanine)

10/11/21            17.5mg paroxetine            (I was a nightly herb smoker from 1/20–8/22. I've also reduced my alcohol from 1-2 drinks a night to ~1 drink/week)

• Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, you are already a giant step ahead of most people who come on this forum.  You have already learned some great non drug coping skills, and I think you will be just fine!  

How is is going for you since you dropped your paroxetine dose to 9 mg on August 2?  Are you having symptoms, and if so, what are they, and how bad are they?  

We suggest listening to your body, and doing your reductions this way, instead of just going by the calendar.  If we listen, our bodies will tell us when it is time to reduce.  We suggest waiting until you feel stable for at least a couple of weeks before doing another reduction: 

Stability

Please stay in touch.  There is a lot of good support on here, so feel free to check out some of the other intros.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Thanks for your support @getofflex! I actually dropped down to 8mg on 8/20/22 and then 7mg on 9/8/22. My withdrawal symptoms have been fairly manageable (I credit my recent 6 month tapering pause as well as all the practices I'm doing). I plan on stay at 7mg until late October before reassessing. I have to travel for work in October and would like to avoid acute withdrawal, if possible.

Overall, I'm experiencing some insomnia, some digestive/IBS symptoms (some of this may be due to quitting herb cold turkey a little over 3 weeks ago), and some brain zaps (usually only in the morning).

It all feels manageable, especially since the windows/waves of each drop follow a very similar pattern for me. The first week I feel fine, the second week is more difficult, the third week I start to feel "back to normal" again. These days, I honestly don't think about my physical symptoms that much. However, I realize the brain zaps are usually a sign to stay where I'm at and let my body/CNS "catch up." The start of my taper was the worst- I experienced a litany of horrible side effects, derealization, rage, some hallucinations, and an absolutely overwhelming feeling of dread. These days, withdrawal feels more like a slow dance than a fight.

Emotionally and spiritually, I feel better than I have in months. And I feel more connected to myself, others and the world around me than I have in many years. I usually end up tearing up or crying once a day these days and I used to NEVER cry. I'm not crying because I'm sad or scared though. Instead, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude and the understanding I seem to be gaining. I used to be so confused and SO angry. But I feel the anger is turning into compassion and humility.

Exercise has also been hugely helpful, as has walks with my dog twice a day. I also enjoy journaling, playing music, and drawing/painting. These activities have really helped me slow down and appreciate the slower speed in which I need to take life these days. I'm still busy with a full-time job, but again, it feels manageable.

My support group often talks about withdrawal in terms of the metamorphosis a caterpillar experiences in its cocoon. The caterpillar is completely liquified inside the cocoon before it can finally emerge. I think that's a lovely reframe of psych med withdrawal. I certainly feel that this process has pulverized the old version of me so that a newer, wiser, and more caring version can emerge.

• Mentor
6 hours ago, ByeByeSSRI said:

I think human beings have an enormous capacity for inner-strength but that strength must be cultivated, usually through some type of struggle. My support group has helped me reframe withdrawal as a "wonderful opportunity to cultivate my inner-strength." WOW, that's powerful stuff.

I'd like to meet your support group! and more to the point, wish I'd met them (and/or you) many years ago. *wry smile* 

That's a great perspective to have. 

I'm glad you joined and have decided to share your journey.

I think it will be helpful to a lot of people here.

I "follow" very few threads on this forum these days, as I am now 5 yrs off all meds but having been on lots of meds for most of my adult life, over 4 decades, there's a lot that I never learned while I was medicated. Had a very traumatic childhood so most of that was spent just trying to survive.

Now, well into my 60's, I am finally learning how to LIVE

Your story has already helped me, I want to be here to support you if you need it, but also for any pearls of wisdom you may share

:)

thanks for being here

Edited by Happy2Heal

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, ByeByeSSRI said:

I actually dropped down to 8mg on 8/20/22 and then 7mg on 9/8/22.

Please update your signature with this information.  We staff need to see your tapering history in a concise format with each your posts, thanks.  

Dropping from 8 mg to 7 mg is a little too big of a reduction, it is a 12.5% drop.  You may get away with it this time, but please take your time before reducing again, and make sure you are stable first.  It is important to do an exponential taper, meaning that each reduction is a bit smaller, and based on a 10% reduction of the current dose.  The formula is:  current dose X 0.9 = new dose.  For example, 

8 x 0.9 = 7.2 mg

7.2 x 0.9 = 6.5 mg 

6.5 mg x 0.9 = 5.9 mg .... and so forth.  

As we get to the lower and lower doses, SSRI drugs tend to have a disproportionately larger effect on our brains.  See this link to understand why.  Pay special attention to the chart.  

SERT Transporter Occupancy Studies - Reason for Exponential Taper

quitting herb cold turkey a little over 3 weeks ago

What is herb?  Is this marijuana?  I assume it is a mind altering substance.  

I realize the brain zaps are usually a sign to stay where I'm at and let my body/CNS "catch up." The start of my taper was the worst- I experienced a litany of horrible side effects, derealization, rage, some hallucinations, and an absolutely overwhelming feeling of dread.

This tells me you are reducing either too fast, or by too big of drops.  Please slow down, and do smaller reductions and give more time between reductions.  These things have a way of catching up with us, and you don't want to crash your nervous system, as it causes significant suffering, and can take many months to years to recover from.  I'm especially concerned with the brain zaps and hallucinations, which indicate a pretty destabilized nervous system.  

You may even consider micro tapering.  Paroxetine is a notoriously difficult drug to get off of. 

Brass Monkey Slide Method of Micro-Tapering

Emotionally and spiritually, I feel better than I have in months. And I feel more connected to myself, others and the world around me than I have in many years. I usually end up tearing up or crying once a day these days and I used to NEVER cry. I'm not crying because I'm sad or scared though. Instead, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude and the understanding I seem to be gaining. I used to be so confused and SO angry. But I feel the anger is turning into compassion and humility.

This is wonderful.  It shows that the drugs are losing their grip on you, and you are getting yourself back!  And, it is OK to cry because we are sad or scared, too.  😉

Edited by getofflex

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27020-for-people-who-were-drugged-as-children/

hello, here is a link to a topic for people who started on this stuff during childhood.  Feel free to participate! 

2007-Prozac then off replaced with Zoloft 

2008- Off Zoloft replaced with Fluvoxamine 

2008-2009 50mg Fluvoxamine 

2009-2020 150mg Fluvoxamine 

2013-14 addition of Lexapro and Zyprexa

2015 back to only Fluvoxamine 

2019-2021 additional 150mg Wellbutrin 

2020-present taper off Fluvoxamine and Wellbutrin 

2022 - mid-February - last dose 25 mg Wellbutrin

July 2021 25 (12.5 twice a day) mg Fluvoxamine hold

switch to compounded XR 12.5 mg Fluvoxamine capsules twice a day mid July 2022

Magnesium, Fish Oil, microdose CBD 

Thank you @Mdawg! I'll check it out... At the start of my taper, I experienced a lot of what I called, "emotional flashbacks." I felt as though parts of my psyche were "stuck" at 10 years old, the time when I started paroxetine. Doing inner child work and being really gentle with myself is helping me "go back" so that I can "move forward."

That's so kind of you to say @Happy2Heal. Our "psych med sobriety" zoom support group is free to join and available to anyone who wants to discuss healing/emergence. It's an eclectic group of individuals that have helped me immensely. Some folks are years off of meds, others (like myself) are still tapering, and some newer members have yet to start tapering. The group is small and only about a year old. We don't focus too much on symptom-talk, more so, we come together to try to cultivate strength and hope. A man named Kenneth Price hosts them on Sundays at 9am PST and Wednesdays at 5pm PST. Here's the link to the zoom/website: https://psychiatricsobriety.com/zoom-meetings Hope to see you there sometime! (I usually join on Sundays and my name is Chris)

Thank you @getofflexfor your concerns as well as the information you provided. I do think you're right that I've been tapering a bit too quickly. Throughout this process, I feel I have to continually re-learn the lesson of patience. I plan on resting at 7mg (I updated my sig btw) for another 4 weeks before I resume tapering at 10%. Reading about SERT is interesting and how much of our SERT is affected by even a small dose of SSRI. Also, I should've clarified that the hallucinations I experienced were short-lived and over a year ago (albeit, quite frightening).

I'm happy to report that my brain zaps have reduced a lot and my insomnia was a bit better this week. I actually feel quite good most days, even on the days I'm struggling with some symptoms. Overall, I'm just feeling gratitude and humility in a way that's hard to explain. I've also stayed busy with work, exercise, and surrounding myself with loving/caring people. I'm so thankful to have survived the last few years. 

I mentioned "herb" and yes, I mean cannabis. Sorry, I thought for some reason we weren't supposed to say cannabis (still learning the rules here). I did post about my personal experience with cannabis over on a separate thread if you're interested:  

And the crying is wonderful btw! I'm FEELING more than I have since I was a child. 🤗

Thanks for providing the link to the zoom meeting @ByeByeSSRI, I very well may see you there tomorrow.  I’ve been thinking about doing something like this but didn’t know one existed, or how to find it I suppose.  

1997-2006 - Prozac 20mg

2006-2015 - Lexapro 15mg, Klonopin .5mg PRN

2015 - Paxil | 2016 - Remeron 30mg | Mar 2017 - Lexapro 7.5mg, Kpin .5mg |July 2017 - Pristiq 50mg, Kpin 1mg

Oct 2017 - Celexa 20mg, Kpin .5mg | Feb 2018 - celexa 20mg, Kpin to Valium 7.5mg 

April 2018 - rapid taper of Celexa and Valium leading to crash

May 2018 -  Aug  2019 - Fluoxetine 15 mg, Valium 3.5mg

Aug 2019 -April 2020 - Micro liquid taper off 3.5mg valium end April 6 2020. Liquid Fluoxetine 12mg per day

May 2020 - Nov 2021 -   liquid fluoxetine 12mg per day.

Dec 2021 Direct switch from 12mg generic liquid fluoxetine to 10mg Prozac Capsule | May 24 2022 - 9.5mg | July 1 9.2mg | Aug 14 9.0mg | Aug 30 8.9mg | Dec 1 8.8mg

*Zero alcohol since July 2020.  Supplement include 3000 mg Fish oil, 1000mg Vit C.  100mcg B12

• Mentor
4 hours ago, ByeByeSSRI said:

That's so kind of you to say @Happy2Heal. Our "psych med sobriety" zoom support group is free to join and available to anyone who wants to discuss healing/emergence. It's an eclectic group of individuals that have helped me immensely. Some folks are years off of meds, others (like myself) are still tapering, and some newer members have yet to start tapering. The group is small and only about a year old. We don't focus too much on symptom-talk, more so, we come together to try to cultivate strength and hope. A man named Kenneth Price hosts them on Sundays at 9am PST and Wednesdays at 5pm PST. Here's the link to the zoom/website: https://psychiatricsobriety.com/zoom-meetings Hope to see you there sometime! (I usually join on Sundays and my name is Chris)

Wow!! thanks so much @ByeByeSSRI

I actually thought you meant your group of friends and relatives, that sort of supportive group, not a true group that joins via zoom this way.

and here I was a bit envious of you having this great support and it turns out it is available to anyone free, awesome!

thanks for the link, I will def join when I can.

❤️

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Hope to see you there @methuselah!

@Happy2HealI'm lucky to have both support from my wife/friends/family as well as this awesome group. We all need as much support as we can get! 🤗

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 9/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, ByeByeSSRI said:

Our "psych med sobriety" zoom support group is free to join and available to anyone who wants to discuss healing/emergence. It's an eclectic group of individuals that have helped me immensely. Some folks are years off of meds, others (like myself) are still tapering, and some newer members have yet to start tapering. The group is small and only about a year old. We don't focus too much on symptom-talk, more so, we come together to try to cultivate strength and hope. A man named Kenneth Price hosts them on Sundays at 9am PST and Wednesdays at 5pm PST. Here's the link to the zoom/website: https://psychiatricsobriety.com/zoom-meetings Hope to see you there sometime! (I usually join on Sundays and my name is Chris)

This sounds awesome.  Thanks ByeByeSSRI.  I'm going to go ahead and add this now to this topic:  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/6631-peer-support-group-meetup-zoom-skype/page/3/#comments

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 months later...

A brief year-end update: I'm now down to 4.5mg of paroxetine and I'm excited to eventually be completely off sometime in 2023. Each reduction in dose comes with a number of difficult/emotional days, but eventually these feelings pass. I try to accept it all. Lately, my anxiety has really risen but I try not to let it take over. Instead, I imagine my feelings or frightening thoughts like items floating in a river. I'm on the river bank, simply watching these thoughts go by. I don't hold on to any of them too tightly, just acknowledge them and let them pass.

I wish everyone healing and progress in 2023!

• 3 months later...

Hi @ByeByeSSRI!  Is your zoom meeting still an ongoing thing?   It sounds really cool!

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2005-2021:  450 mg Bupropion XL Daily

2021 Buporopion May 450mg/June 400mg/July 375mg/Aug 10th 360mg/

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

REINSTATED-BACK TO MY LAST STABLE DOSE/TIME RELEASE

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

3 hours ago, j1290 said:

Hi @ByeByeSSRI!  Is your zoom meeting still an ongoing thing?   It sounds really cool!

Just saw this myself

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

Yes it is! https://psychiatricsobriety.com/zoom-meetings

We meet every Sunday at 9am. The zoom calls are recorded for their YT channel but after 10am the recording stops so people can share more personal details if need be. Because it's recorded, some people don't turn on their video or share their whole names. 

Here's last week's meeting: https://youtu.be/aj4xISa9J_g

I've gotten a lot out of the group. Really great folks. It's small and very accepting. We focus on the more spiritual side of withdrawal, and borrow a lot from the 12 steps. But it's not a religious group nor does anyone push any dogma. Mainly, it's been a great place for me to go and talk with others struggling with the deeper issues of psych med withdrawal: Who am I? What am I truly afraid of? Why did I reach for pills in the first place? Etc.

The motto of the group is this: "you have not been damaged. Because who you truly are, can never be damaged."

I'm traveling this Sunday and can't join but when I'm on, you'll see me as Chris H.

I'd been wishing for an AA-like support group and this sounds amazing. I'll be there. So happy to have seen your post!

1997 - 1/22/23 Paxil - 20 mg * 1/22/23 - 18 mg * 2/19/23 - 16.2 mg * 3/31/23 - 14.6 mg * 5/9/23 - 13.1 mg * 6/11/23 - 11.8 mg * 8/17/23 - 10.6 mg * 9/18/23 - 10 mg

1997 - present Wellbutrin 150 mg

non-psychiatric: Metoprolol, Rosuvastatin, Omeprazole, Eliquis

Magnesium Glycinate - 100 mg

Glad to hear it, possum! I've never been to an AA meeting but the host of the group, Kenneth Price has and seems to have brought a lot of AA's teaching/theories and applied them to psych med tapering. After all, is there really THAT much difference between alcohol/street drugs/psych meds on a spiritual level? They all seem to be coping mechanisms that try to separate us from the pain and fear we all seem to be running from.

• Mentor
On 4/7/2023 at 5:46 AM, ByeByeSSRI said:

Yes it is! https://psychiatricsobriety.com/zoom-meetings

We meet every Sunday at 9am. The zoom calls are recorded for their YT channel but after 10am the recording stops so people can share more personal details if need be. Because it's recorded, some people don't turn on their video or share their whole names. 

Oh that's dope! 9am PST might not be that doable for my (reforming) night owl self, but I love this. I think Inner Compass also does zoom calls, but I haven't checked those out.

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg -> April 2024: 40.5mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg, still too high, 34mg -> March 2024: 31mg, STILL too high, 30mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

• 1 month later...

Update: I'm down to 3.6mg of paroxetine and am also 2 months sober from smoking cannabis. I was never a heavy smoker but I was a consistent one: I'd smoke at night to fall asleep. And for a while, I felt that cannabis helped my paxil withdrawal symptoms.

However, somewhere along the way, cannabis seemed to help less and less. Perhaps I was building a tolerance or perhaps the paxil withdrawal got more intense as I dropped to lower doses. Either way it was time to hang up the pipe.

Quitting cannabis has been a journey unto itself! I held my paxil dose while quitting cannabis because I knew my body and brain would need time to adjust. I've quit cannabis before for brief periods and the withdrawals are kinda similar to SSRI withdrawal, but far less intense. I've never quit cannabis for this long (2+ months) and I'm surprised to find myself having zero cravings or any desires to go back.

My anxiety is up higher than normal and panic attacks have become much more frequent than before. But that's ok, I trust this will even out with time. The other symptom that's causing a lot of disruption is insomnia. Is it from the cannabis withdrawal or the SSRI withdrawal? Yes... Haha. Who knows. I have no problem falling asleep but often wake at 2am and can't fall back asleep. But I'm trying all of the things: yoga, eating healthy, avoiding alcohol/caffeine, cool air temperature, sound machine, etc. I experimented with melatonin... No thank you! Had some crazy anxiety and intense confusion. I'll just ride this out and hope that in another month or two, the insomnia is far less frequent. I know it's an issue with my mind and how I handle stress. I've had a lot of ruminating thoughts and fears so meditation and breathing exercises have been helpful.

Just trying to tell myself it's all ok. Because it is. Even when it sucks. It's all ok. 👍